Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anitamo

Idyll #455--Fall, A Time of Hope

anitamo
14 years ago

I walked for Reed today with my DGS Antonio. I told why we were walking, and he understood. We picked up fallen leaves which will find their home into a scrapbook for him. The changing colors on the maples are beautiful already. Hope is alive today with promises of change. A time to dream...

Beautiful photos abounded on the last thread, with succulent, water and container gardens ready for the magazines. I esp. love the photo of Luke sipping from the fountain.

I hope saucy fills us in on details of her deck water garden. Fabu Fabu.

It was sheer coincidence that with all the talk yesterday of the Guernsey book, and what did I bring home from the bookstore? Yep, and I can't wait to dig in. I looked up the schedule for the American Master, but it looks like there won't be a rerun on Trumbo anytime soon.

chelone, Have you taken up dog training? I'm loving your stories of reining the Wrecking Crew in. Sounds like hard, but rewarding work.

I hope kathy is feeling better today, and martie is having fun getting to know Boo 2.

Here's to Hope!

Anita

Comments (102)

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yay, its Honey checking in ! Hope you can stick around for awhile. Fabu shot of your garden !

And an update from Mary too- thanks for letting us know that all is well , though busy in the Mary-world. Its been a looong time since I had a new job but I remember the mental energy it takes to learn the ropes and retain that knowledge from day to day. Exhausting for sure.

Saucy, those leaf castings are just double fabu-fabu (which would be 4 fabus in rapid succession) Is that last one Sues leaf ? I love your idea of floating it over the garden. I hope you give yourself a great big pat on the back! Id be hard pressed to say which one I like best. Lol, football rarely graces this house- I dont think Ive watched a game in 2 or 3 years.

What great bird shots Deanne ! I guess that Ash tree gets further reprieve when it provides such a nice staging area , huh ?

Julie, Old Lady Bikes are becoming very trendy out here on the left coast, especially if vintage (the bike, not the old lady) and one can see them restored and tooling along just like a GTO. The pantry is one of my favorite Julie Jobs, I completely rearranged mine last winter, and will probably do so again this year. The food bank is usually a beneficiary.

I do like that stylish outfit on our Ms Ivy and await the appearance of more hair. A nice pink ribbon will seal her girlish fate . I will be perusing your crop circle thread during baseball tonight.

Brenda, there better be cameras on this mini IU caper of yours- will V take you to the Lurie garden in the Big City ? We expect FB update ala Sue now that V is all Blackberried up.

Ok, time for a WALAT , a lovely evening for it too

Kathy in Napa

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

P.S.

Hi Woody !

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Anita and Bug, I too have been trying to water things to keep them going. We really need some rain. It barely sprinkled here this morning. I almost didn't catch a couple of containers soon enough.

Honey good to have a post from you. Sounds like you have a major redo on your hands. Good luck to your DH on the job front.

Bug, I probably found all the rocks you need for your project while digging a hole for my purple smoke bush today. What a job. That baby better grow, for all that work. I think I will need to put FlexAll on my hands tonite.
    Chelone, I was busting rocks in the sun. I told DH I was learning to be a jailbird. Maybe Ivy will lend me her romper. LOL

Woody, thinking about you.

Mary, is your new job very differant from the old one?

Deanne aren't you glad you didn't take that ash tree down. It is the perfect backdrop for the robins. I think the squirrels are beating the birds to the dogwood berries here.

Brenda have fun on vacation. Is Jim going to skydive too?
    How nice you get to visit V.

Saucy, your leaves look so delicate. They look so nice showcased on the garage wall. I was wondering about reinforcement too. Can they be left outside during winter or do they need to be brought in.

All for me tonight. Norma.

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Oh yes Julie, sorry I chuckled a little at the rice fiasco too. I do my best cleaning when I am ticked off about something.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Yoo Hoo ? Calling PM2 ? Please check in !

• chelone
    14 years ago

Geez, it's been like Old Home Week this morning.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Indeed, Old Home Week!- Where's Drema?

For me the morning began a while ago. I've done 2 loads of laundry (washer & dryer) and knit 15 or so rows on a new Ivy garment. Next I made an impossibly long activity list for the day...which promises to be dry, sunny and cool.

It is Wednesday, the week is already half over. Enjoy today!
    'bug

• saucydog
    14 years ago

GB, I wish I could buy rheum palmatum! I looked everywhere this summer. It's on my must have list. Sue has been nice enough to share her leaves!

Kathy, that is not Sue's giant leaf, but a different variety of alocasia that my neighbor brought me. It's not my favorite leaf, but it is the biggest :) I think it will look better painted - I don't care for the "base" color of my concrete, but I haven't really found one that I do like, YET!

Norma, Ivy could let you borrow her little jailbird outfit, lol! She looks happy as can be.

Deanne! What a shot of that robin with the fruit in his mouth! I never see them in mid-munch - it's always down the hatch, so fast. Very cool shot.

Honey, it's nice to read a post from you! Your garden is beautiful. I'm sure there are all sorts of things you will creatively add/take away to create the NEW garden! It must be hard to deal with, but also a very exciting new challenge for you! I look forward to seeing the progress. I really love your path as it is somthing I'm trying to do in my garden.

Hello Woody! Thinking of you often, especially when I plot the pathway that I just can't seem to ever get to!

I began the process of painting some leaves. I am happy with my progress. I am hoping to just keep casting as space allows (I've limited myself to my "workshop") and try to create as many leaves as I can before winter. Funny thing, though, as I worked on a leaf yesterday, I thought about what I would like to create statue-wise, and started thinking about how I could work on some of those projects in the heated garage or basement. Sarah and I would like to try mosaics.

Thanks for all your nice comments. You sure know how to boost a girl's confidence. My party is Saturday and I'm hoping someone who told me I could hang some leaves in his greenhouse is coming...also the person responsible for putting together the art classes that I taught last year.

Time for me to get to work! Today looks cooler, so it'll be good for busting rocks and moving mulch, lol!

Saucy

• saucydog
    14 years ago

I forgot to add: I heard from PM yesterday. I hope she won't mind that I share that she's had a busy time of things, but I'm sure she'll be back soon. I will email her and let her know that we're missing her posts.

I see Marian on FB, but I think she is not feeling great these days!

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Good morning

Well, since you asked Chelone here they are in the new chicken condo.
    {{gwi:180448}}

The green roof will be added next spring - the engineering required to strengthen the supports to hold the weight of soil and water were not something I could figure out quickly. However, winters are long here and it will give me something to muse on.

Those with sharp eyes might spot the intruder - we found an extremely realistic chicken at Michaels who stands guard atop the house. The poor birds thought it was real for quite some time.

Here is Chicken Ugly (formerly known as Chicken Little) getting to know the newcomer. Don't chicken's have the beadiest eyes?
    {{gwi:180449}}

We are getting one or two eggs every day which are eaten by someone in the family within hours or minutes of being found. They are most delicious, the verdict being they should be fried or poached rather than scrambled to fully appreciate their dark orange yolks.

Honey - GREAT to hear from you!!

Saucy - your leaves are amazing!

Norma - my job is actually very different. I am now part of the professional support in a special needs classroom and unbelievably busy learning all sorts of adaptive technology. The children (Grades 3-5) and staff are great and I think I will find the work interesting and fulfilling. At the end of last week I was told I was a gift to the classroom. This made me feel so good, especially after my last supervisor never took the time to acknowlege my resignation or wish me well (so much for 8 years of dedicated work). But as one door closes, another opens....

Big wave to all

Mary

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Good morning all,

I just love fall weather! Its currently 55 and patchy clouds but the air is so lovely and crisp. Im still working on that fourth plate in the fuchsia plate series and will be teaching in the weekend after next. Ive got a lot to do between now and then including finishing getting the camera set up for the monitor.

Julie, I lol over Old Lady bike, I like them except they are a bear to get up a steep hill.

Norma, yes indeed, Im very happy I decided to give the Mountain Ash another couple years as Ive figured out the problem is with the amount of water it gets. It seems to lose most of its leaves by early August when the summers are hot and dry but this year it kept its foliage and made a bountiful berry crop with the wet spring and early summer. As you said, it is a bird magnet. I dont have too many squirrels around right now for some reason. Probably because the resident Red-tailed Hawk family whittled down their numbers. Last year the squirrels got all the berries off the Ash and the Dogwood before the birds got them.

Honey, how terrific to hear from you and nice to know Ruth is doing well. What a bummer you have to move your gardens around. Jeesh. Youd think theyd like having the plantings on the commons. Love the view of your gardens. So pretty!!!!

Kathy, yes the Ash tree will be here for the time being. ~~ How about some pics?

Saucy, Would love to see painted leaf pics when you get them finished?

Mary, those chicken pics are a hoot especially the chicken decoy they are all clustered around. Too cute. ~~~ Fantastic you are enjoying the new job. Im so pleased to hear thats working out for you.

Hi Woody, thinking of you.

OK must get to the studio, have a great day all
    Deanne

• wendy2
    14 years ago

I am taking a break from cleaning the basement and thought I'd check in here. Things have been pretty busy here since school started, and to top it off the washer decided to quit. We knew it was going, but now it stops in the middle of the rinse on the main cycle. The perma press and delicate cycles still work, so I've been doing small, light loads. New machine (with looky-loo window a la Saucy) arrives on Saturday so a basement cleaning seemed in order. The washing machine area is also the winter plant area, so I've been washing pots and moving stuff around to make room for the delivery.

Saucy, I wish I could make your party this Saturday, but the kids have too much going on and DH is going away on his "boy weekend". He and three friends usually go to the NASCAR race in NH, but after being rained on for the last 2-3 September races, they decided to change. They are flying to Baltimore to see two Red Sox games this weekend. Should be a good time. He is actually giving DS and I a "how to hook up the new washer" tutorial tonite, since he won't be back until Monday. DD has band practice Saturday, and DS has a Scout event as well. Luckily for me band is in the morning, and Scouts is in the afternoon.

'bug and others, thanks for the bulb reminder. Chelone, I've used John Scheepers and Brent and Becky's and been satisfied with both. Scheepers is probably cheaper if you are buying a lot. I'm not ordering bulbs this year, I am hoping to have new front steps and a new front door done in the Spring, and I know that men in boots would probably step on any tulips planted in that area. I'll probably just buy a few bags locally for the other parts of the yard.

I love to see that midwest Idyllers are getting together - why should we New Englanders have all the fun?

Mary, glad to hear you are settling into your new job. I've been thinking of you since school started. Such a handsome flock, and so nice to have fresh eggs!

Honey, nice to see you! That eye-poke sounds awful. Good to hear you are on the mend now. Your garden looks fabu from above, and I'm sure it will be even better when you re-work the area.

Norma, "Breakin' rocks in the hot sun - I fought the law and the law won" - now I have my earworm for the afternoon. We have our fair share of rocks here too; you have my sympathy. Did you know in some parts of the country people actually buy rocks?

Deanne, beautiful pics as always. Glad you are keeping the ash tree, it is really making up for its past poor performance this year.

Well, back to work I suppose - time to do the final laundry load before the un-hooking tonite.

Waving hi to everyone!

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

I feel privileged to have visited Wendy basement BEFORE she cleaned it.

Basements are exotic here !

• chelone
    14 years ago

Much needed smiles elicited by:
    1.) those silly chickens. I love the way they turn their heads sideways to get a "gander" at something. :)
    2.) Norma in a striped romper/"onesie". Lol.

Honey, many years ago I was weeding a bed and came into contact with a dried shoot on a Polemonium. It was unbelievably uncomfortable, though I didn't think it serious enough to call the optometric office. I was barely able to sleep that night and went in first thing the next morning. My injury wasn't nearly as severe as your's but I have never forgotten how awful it was. Your garden is just beautiful and I've regretted not having had the opportunity to see it person. It's nice to see that you're well. Kick the dog for me, willya?

Woody, I've just received a request for a reprise of Camp BowWow/Heartbreak Ridge. Can you believe it?? Apparently, the intensive nature of their stay with us had an effect. My "say it once and enforce" policy broke through their thick skulls and even penetrated their walnut sized brains... . I have not decided if I'll be able to do it since I have a stint at THTTF scheduled at about that time, but I may just say yes and take them with me. If the goal is to get them under control enough to go anywhere with their mother then I may as well take them with me. I know well that beatings can be performed anywhere or anytime! I have to say, I'm delighted that their time here was profitable. Young active dogs cannot be expected to behave reliably if they don't have adequate exercise and consistent discipline.

I will keep my eyes peeled for Rheum ... , Saucy. If I find one I'll scarf it up. Wanna bet you'll have about 7 of them in no time flat?

Wendy, I wish my Kenmore would give up the ghost. I want a front loading washer so bad I can just about taste it. But as long as our 17 yr. old trooper keeps running I'm hesitant to fork over the pork for an unnecessary replacement. Good to learn you're well; miss your voice as FB ain't really workin' for me.

Ditto Brenda. I know you'll have a ball with V.. If you feel comfortable enough, give her a hug for me, willya? How many times do you have to jump before you're allowed to do it solo? I followed a car home today with a "skydive" bumper sticker on it and I thought about you and the farm and your brother... . Funny how we have made impressions on each other over the years, huh?

Time to take the Huge One outdoors.

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Afternoon Idylls,
    A quick note during coffee break. It seems like its been many months since Ive actually had a coffee break. I start training a new CSR on Thursday so I will be more behind than ever.

Fall seems to be just around the corner it seems. The bean fields are taking on a golden glow. Some of the trees are changing as well. The garden is taking on a muted scheme with lots of burgundy, mauve or dusky pink tones. Although, there are the yellows that brighten things up. Last night Rick and I spent most of the evening (which are rather short these days) in the potager harvesting beans, tomatoes, peppers and beets. We were joined by several hummingbirds and butterflies. Funny, but they really seem to enjoy the potager. I guess it helps when you add the flowers. Favorites seem to be the nasturtiums and the salvia black and blue (in the urn)
    Just when I think fall is here, they are predicting 80s this week and a predicted high of 87 on Sat.

Honey, what a bummer that you have to rearrange your garden. Its so lovely just as it is. Sorry to hear about your eye, it sounds like it was painful. The second story view of Honeys garden was the one we had from their lovely guest room. How nice to look out at it in the morning with the misty pond in the background. Did you end up with the stone benches we looked at?

Chelone, speaking of Idyll reminders, when we crossed the Mississippi River on the way to Michigan, I thought of you. I also remembered to look if they have a pedestrian crossing area and they dont, at least the bridge on I 90. I cant really get into the Facebook thing either.

Saucy, your leaves are amazing. I need to work on the thin thing. The castor bean one really appeals to me. Too bad mine are so small this year.

Norma, so sorry to hear that your friend has leukemia.

Brenda, what fun youll have V and hubby are fun and great hosts. Youll love their place.

Kathy, I laughed out loud about your basement comment. It reminds me of some of my CA cousins who came here to visit a few years ago. The wife was just tickled to see our basement as meager as it is.

Mary, I just love the first picture of the chickens it looks like it should be in Country Living magazine. All the colors are just so fun.

bug, Im sure Rick wouldnt go for the crop circles but they are quite interesting. There are a few around here.

Deanne, the pictures of the robins are fabulous.

Talk about the next big project, we are getting new gutters on the house and Im trying to stall it until the gardens are cut back. Not sure it will work.

Michelle

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Kathy, Sarah and I were looking through online pictures for something else, and I came upon this picture of the catmint. I wish I had a tag. I know I bought it at Bigelow Nurseries, and they always have a few gems among the usual perennials :)

This garden has changed so much since this picture, but here it is (I feel like it needs a drum roll):

{{gwi:180456}}

Mary, I'm glad to hear the new job is rewarding, challenging, and that your hard work is being recognized! Those are things that make it worth while, I think. I did not pick out the "intruder" in the coop until you mentioned it!

Michelle, I grew the castor bean that is known for it's giant leaves, as well as the usual carmencita. I forget the name, of course! Most everything else is stunted in the garden after the rainy cool summer.

I've gotta go get cleaned up and figure out a dinner solution. I weeded a big mess today and found a baby turtle in the process! Rewards :)

Saucy

• chelone
    14 years ago

Michelle, are you going to rig up the downspouts so they can be diverted to rainbarrells for the temperate seasons? I want to do that here, but we haven't even gotten near that level of completion. Every time we have a heavy rain (like very other GD day the past few months, lol) I think of the wasted water... . At least I'm thinking about it, I suppose!

I don't believe there is anything on the other side of the Mississippi River; in fact, the vaunted MR may well be nothing more than the coast of the Pacific Ocean. I'm sorry, I'll believe it when I actually see it for "my own self". I believe all that talk is nothing more than an elaborate hoax; further embellished by labels on wine bottles and lore from people who SAY they've been there. My guess is that Kathy actually lives about 3 towns west of me and her photographs are nothing more than copied shots with her own subtitles.

• wendy2
    14 years ago

Kathy actually insisted on seeing my basement, and I was mortified since that is the catch-all area of my home. I wasn't prepared to have guests in that quadrant!

Chelone, I think you and I need to take a road trip, maybe drive to IU next year. I have flown to the west coast and to Colorado, but never seen the middle of the country. I remember Martie talking about renting a coach bus with a charming driver to drive cross-country and pick up Idylls along the way - maybe we should do just that!

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Good Wednesday evening to my Idyll friends, and what a nice newsy day here ! #455 did need a kick into high gear. I was busy as h**l at the awfice today, and didnt have much mental energy left by quittin time.. a glass of cheap white wine and a stroll with the watering can have had a reviving effect.

Saucy, are you using a concrete colorant for your leaves ? Quikrete makes a liquid and a company called Davis Concrete makes tons of colors in powder form. I hope we will have photos of this social event on Saturday do we expect to see NE Idylls there ? Thank you for the update on PM That Nepeta looks very much like one that I bought at a farmers market in Oregon and has since passed away- the flowers were much larger that most and the leaves were greener ..can you refresh my memory on the name ? If you know it

Mary,those photos of the avian segment of the Mary house are just priceless ! I couldnt help but think of blow-up dolls when viewing Chicken U making eyes at the faux poultry , lol. How great that you got such nice feedback from the new supervisor. Sounds like the whole gig was meant to be after all uncertainty you had to deal with over the last months.

Deanne, fear not, pics are forthcoming. I am attending a garden show this Saturday- this is a new show, its 1st year and they sure have some great speakers(ie Ken Druse, Price and Withey, Kate Frey etc) and garden designers lined up and its in Sonoma county to boot, about a ½ (scenic)drive from my house . There will be display gardens and the all important plant and garden art vendors too ! The admissions are in benefit of The Garden Conservancy and the local Land Trust. Really looking forward to it, and hope its a huge success. I hope you will share with us your new design for your students when you get it finished !

Wendy, I remember talking to your DH about the new fall guy trip I guess this would be a Prince Weekend as per Brendas Princess Weekend ! My garage used to look very much like your basement before my two dumpster days !

Chelone, my washer is unlikely to die anytime soon as it is only 6 or 7 years old. It works for me. But, I hate my stove (also only 6 or 7 years old) and wish I had spent a couple hundred bucks more at the time and gotten something a little better. Oh well. Lol, would that all my Idyll friends were only 3 towns away ! Im going to be cranking out a few fake fall shots here quite soon. Start filling up that piggy bank lady, Saucy,Wendy, Sue and Deanne will be hauling your a** out here before you know it. A look at the Pacific is on the agenda- the Left Ocean .

Michelle, I hope you will share some fall shots of your beautiful garden with us !

OK time for the pre-baseball WALAT !

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Row 1: Knit 6, Purl 3
    Row 2: Knit 3. Purl 6

And so ends my day... ;)

I accomplished many of the things on my list but not all. I added lunch out with DH (who bought new shoes as well.)He then completed the transporting of the chips to the vegetable garden and is thrilled that is over with!

More rock, soil, water and shovel work planned for Thursday. It never ends, but as long as the sun shines, I don't mind. (I don't own a striped onesie either...)

I am also one of those who is not a good fit for FB. So I hope others will continue to let us know the special news of Sue, Eden , Marian and others...if they don't mind.

On the evil stepmother front, Skyler was scolded because he lied. He has been writing down what he wants for lunch at school and DD has been buying it if it is healthy stuff. Unfortunately, while he was emptying his lunch pack after school for clean-up, a note for his parents appeared. It stated that the young man has been giving away his lunches. DD was most disappointed because she had been buying expensive roast beef etc for him and he said he enjoyed it! When his Dad had the TALK with him after his Tai Kwan Do class, he said "But I didn't lie on Monday!" Basically Dad said "You have to tell the truth. You must eat your own lunch no matter what. I don't care if you like it or not, if you are hungry or not. You have to eat if you are going to perform well at school. Capiche?" And the 10 year old voice said "ok..." Stay tuned! (Hear that Adrian?)

Tomorrow is a difficult day for my brother who meets with a group of interested parties on the care of an 18 year old girl who is bi-polar, has borderline personality disorder (involving cutting) and more. He really REALLY cares about her care and progress and has been prevented from seeing or talking to her for over a year. That he is asked to take part is interesting and makes us more hopeful than we should be no doubt. I wish this poor girl well. She has 2 younger sister who will no doubt follow the same path...

So happy to see Mary's "poulailler" and hear the great news on the new job. Hope things fall into place quickly.

Wendy, your idea of a bus trip across the states reminds me of Little Miss Sunshine....!!!
    Bonsoir,
    'bug

Ivy and friend:
    {{gwi:180461}}

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Waiting for Ivy to look grumpy.

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Kathy, I think 'Dropmore Blue' sounds right to me, but I don't see pictures of it that look like mine. I am terrible with names/keeping up with tags. I'm sorry I can't be a better help.

Saucy

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

GB - giving lunch away must be a boy thing. David appeared to be running a small black market operation when it came to lunch last year (Middle school lunches are pretty much a free-for-all.) I would pack a few treats with his "healthy" sandwich. David would eat the sandwich and then use the Oreo's, pop-corn or whatever to trade for sizeable portions of friends' lunches, in particular from the girls who can be picky eaters. David told me he could negotiate a whole meatball sandwich for just a couple of Oreos. I have made him stop, thinking how other parents would feel and knowing that school lunch is not the time for free enterprise. I've also been packing bigger lunches for him. Again, we'll have to "stay tuned".

I too do not see whittling away time on FB in the near future when I barely make it to the Idylls which is my chief cyber pleasure. Please let us know how those that have left us are doing. I miss them:0(

Mary

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Mary, (and others too!) could you share Book Club ideas with me for next Tuesday's gathering?

Off to the great outdoors!
    'bug

• flowerluvr
    14 years ago

Good morning Idylls!

Ouch, Honey! I know exactly how that kind of thing happens. I did the very same thing with a Russian Sage I was pruning early one spring. Thank goodness it wasn't worse! Congrats on DH's job offers. Love the second story view. That's something I didn't even think about when I started gardening. Dumb luck has always been my friend, though, and we have a nice view of my favorite bed from our bedroom.

Bug, love the Google link! Someone made the coolest corn maze in a field by the skydiving place. It blew me away when I looked down and saw it. It must take some serious patience and vision to do that. As it happens, my instructor grew up on a farm. We did a "crop survey" on the way down, and he pointed out places where it had been really wet this spring. Fun to hang out over the crops with another farmer :)
    Ah, the lessons on truth-telling! When DS was about Skyler's age, he went through a phase or...something! That kid would lie to me if I asked him his name, I swear! Taking a page from Chelone's book, constant discipline and regular beatings saw him through it ;)

Kathy, I will have my camera, and will update as much as possible without offending DH, lol! I think there are days when he would like to make both my cell phone and computer come up missing ;) Of course, I'm still Blackberry-less, so instant updates will have to wait until next vacation.
    You'd LOVE our "exotic" basement. It was dug in the mid 1800s, and the foundation of the house is field stone. Interesting to look at and wonder how in the world they did that. Some of those stones are HUGE!

Norma, as far as I know, Jim has no plans to jump. I think he really wants to. He's afraid he'll throw up on the instructor ;) Of course, if he gets over there, and wants to...I fully support it, lol!

Mary, I never thought I'd say this, but what a pretty picture of chickens! Frankly, big birds kinda freak me out. I could never stand going in the chicken coop when we raised chickens. Everyone looks quite happy, and I wouldn't have spotted the intruder. Fits right in!
    Lol, interesting that David trades Oreos for sandwiches. I would SO be the other way around :)

Wendy, have fun with the new washer. We got one with a looky-loo window, too. The first week I had it, I was just LOOKING for stuff to wash, lol! My friend, Diane and I stood and watched it wash for a good 5 minutes. Needless to say, the fascination wore off pretty quickly, and it's back to being a menial task.

Chelone-Oh, I'm a hugger. If there's any discomfort, it's on the part of the hug-ee, lol!
    As a matter of fact, I passed my tandem levels on my last jump. To go solo, there is a one week course, that involves about 25 jumps with instructors. On your first solo, you jump with two instructors holding on to you to help you learn to get stable. I can jump as many tandems as I want, so that's not something that I have to rush to make a decision on, especially as DH is sitting next to me watching me type, and rolling his eyes, LMAO ;)
    Yep, it sure is amazing how much of an impression we've all made on each other. I think of you all so often when something happens in the day-to-day that makes me think of one or the other of you. Lol, for example, I can NOT see a baby jumper a-la Miss Ivy without thinking of you!
    For the record, I still think it sucks that I didn't get to take Chuck skydiving. Probably always will. That, and a million other things.
    BTW! There's a picture of you doing the hula-hoop at IU. It's been driving me NUTS! Do you, or do you not, have a shirt that says, "Ladies Sewing Circle and Terrorist Society"?? I have the fridge magnet, and I can't read your shirt, but it looks like my magnet....and sounds like a shirt you should have :)

Michelle, I'm starting to see some yellow bean leaves around here, too. Not much in the way of fall color yet. We're hoping to see some as we go farther north on vacation.

Believe it or not, after only NINE months, I finally have a disk of wedding pictures. What a fiasco! The photographer left shortly after the wedding to travel to (I believe) South Africa on a job. Someone else was running the business end of things back here. He shot two weddings very close together. The other girl's check bounced, the lady taking care of things thought it was Christina, (my) check that bounced, and didn't send out the disk. Meanwhile, calls weren't being returned, etc. Once the photog got back, it was all straightend out, but SHEESH! I'm in the process of getting them uploaded to Photobucket. I hope to get them posted today. Lol, it occurs to me..in this amount of time, we could have had a BABY :)

Gotta go. I've developed a nasty habit of sitting in bed with my coffee and laptop. That started at 5:00 this morning. It's now 8:30. The truly sad thing is that I've been "up" three times, and keep coming back. This time, it needs to be for keeps. I really need to get stuff together for vacation. Time to play with the fascinating amazing wonder-washer, lol!
    Have a great day, all!
    Brenda
    PS. For those interested in how they can teach you to skydive, here's a link to someone doing the AFP program. They video each jump, so they can go over it with you when you get on the ground.

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Aha! Try this: nepeta sibirica souvenir d a. chaudron

I do believe that is it....amazing what you can come up with while mulching....

• wendy2
    14 years ago

'bug and Mary, now you have me wondering what my son is doing with his lunch debit card...to be a fly on the wall at that school!

• anitamo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's still very dry here, and will be three weeks since we've had measurable rain. I'm not too worried about the perennials, but the shrubs need the water to put out their fabulous fall colors. I moved a two year old seven sons shrub (or is it a tree?) on Tuesday that had out grown its spot. It was in a very small pot from bluestone when I planted it. Boy, that thing grows fast. You have to be very careful when you site them, because of their rapid growth rate. I hope I got enough of the roots...

So much is going on with the not so idle Idylls. Too much to comment on, I know I'll miss something.

Honey, so wonderful to see your gardens. Gorgeous! Hope your eye is doing better. Ouch.

chelone, your dog whispering days aren't over yet, huh? Your services will be in high demand once word gets out.

kathy, I LOL on your fascination over basements. In some parts of the country, they turn into indoor swimming pools, so they aren't always a good thing. We have a dry one (right now), but we're always on high alert during heavy rains if we lose electricity. Even with a back up sump pump (you know what that is? LOL), they only last a few hours. I'd love to have a whole house generator for the peace of mind. Have fun on your Sonoma weekend. The garden show sounds great.

deanne, the robin photos are stunning. You get the neatest closeups of nature. Hope your class goes well.

wendy, Good luck with the new lookylook window washing machine. I applaud that you are going to hook it up yourself. No way would I attempt it myself.

Bug, I hesitate to offer book titles, since I'm not too familiar with your book club, but since you asked...:)
    I've recently read, and enjoyed, The Help by Kathryn Stockett, and All Are Welcome Here, by Elizabeth Berg.
    The latest adorable Ivy photo brings to mind people trying to make the stoic Sentry guards in London crack a smile.

mary, the chickies are looking great, even the decoy. If you didn't point her out, I wouldn't have noticed. Glad the job is going so well. A Gift to the Classroom would make a nice plaque, don't you think? What a wonderful comment.

brenda, thanks for the link. I will look at it later and bookmark it. Skydiving is something on my "bucket list." Have a great visit with V.

Woody, thinking of you.

Hi to all I missed and to our missing Idyllers. I like it here much better that FB. Is it a privacy issue that they don't post here anymore?

Have a delightful day all,
    Anita

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

OH fuddle duddle. (to quote Pierre Trudeau...) I wasn't at all planning on repairing a flat tire on the mower today. I'm in the middle of a project and the back wagon is loaded with a dozen bags of top soil. @!*&%#**!^%*

Later...

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

First of all, this should answer Brenda's question:

{{gwi:180464}}

I'm trying really hard to keep up with the idylls again. I'm trying to be a little more productive in how I spend my time on the computer. Yes, I'm classifying this as "productive" time!

'bug, the look that Ivy is giving Indy is precious! Hmm, Ivy, Indy - I'm reminded of David Letterman's Oprah, Uma joke many years ago.

You know, Chelone, there's a middle coast too:

{{gwi:180470}}

V.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

I like Thursdays. Kind of a wind down towards the weekend day even though Fris can get hectic as one tries to close out the work week.
    Please note, I sent out an e-mail last night re: IU7 , and if anyone did not receive it please e-mail me and I will forward to you. I tested my GW e-mail addy and it worked for me. There seems to be momentum for IU7 here on the west coast , but Im sure we would entertain other suggestions.

Saucy. I think your ID on the Nepeta is spot-on---the only nursery that offers it out here that I can find is Digging Dog- they will have a booth at the garden show I am attending in Sonoma county on Saturday, and if they dont have it there, I am going to their open house in Mendocino when I do my coast trip in October.

Brenda, the east side of our hills are very stony here, and there are many old wineries in the valley that are built of stone- back in the olden days before A/C and climate control, stone buildings and caves provided the best protection from the hot summer sun.

LOL Anita, our last measurable rain was probably in February, maybe March. We usually expect to see rain in late October or November. Dragging the hose is a daily chore.

V., Idyll time is extremely productive. Particularly as it pertains to mental health. !

Later Friends !

Kathy in Napa

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Good morning

I've spent time on the Middle Coast too:0) I think I recognize that long hair.

GB - we are geting ready to vote on books for this year too. "The Help" that Anita enjoyed comes very highly recommended. I am 160th on our library's hold list so it is certainly popular. One of our favorites from last year was "Water For Elephants" by Sarah Gruen. Everyone I know who has read it has been touched by the book.

Right now I am in the middle of "No Ordinary Time" by Doris Kearns Goodwin. It documents the lives of Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt and the Home Front during World War II. It is a bit of a hefty tome but I am totally immersed and other members of the group gave it a big thumbs up.

Another book we are looking forward to is "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" by David Wroblewski. Have any other Idylls (or dog beaters) read that one?

Exciting news on the chicken front - yesterday Annie found 3 eggs in the nest box. Two were very small so they must be from the younger chicks. Big Bertha (the pretty white hen) squats submissively when you approach her which is an indication she is ready to lay (or mate). I'm guessing she popped out one of them. We all had fried egg as an after school snack with just a shake of pepper and sea salt. Their yolk was the darkest orange you could imagine. Annie termed it "liquid gold" and as a one time only concession David was allowed to lick his plate so that he didn't miss a drop.

Well, to quote one of our missing numbers, TGIF. Much as i enjoy my new work it is still totally exhuasting and i'm looking forward to coming home at the end of teh day and soaking in the hot tub.

Have a good one!

Mary

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Once again I'm headed out to the garden. Showers predicted at last...for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Frost predicted for tonight! ARGH! So much left to do...(Think coleus...)

No IU7 e-mail here from Kathy.

Lots of Fall colour around in trees and crops. Before long the tamarack trees will be turning gold I expect. That means I need to plan for caging shrubs etc against critter damage this winter. (And it's only September!)

For those following the saga, my brother's meeting yesterday went quite well to his delight. Only time will tell about his friend's progress.

TGIF! And happy today to everyone.
    'bug

• saucydog
    14 years ago

I loved Edgar Sawtelle and loaned it to Jake.

Not much going on here this morning, just catching up :)

Saucy

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Morning no time to post but wanted to tell Kathy that I didn't receive the IU7 email

Deanne

• jak1
    14 years ago

Happy Friday everyone!

Warm and wet here today - the weather I mean (sorry, couldn't resist)!

Yesterday we decided to complete all major work that we wanted to be done outside before winter; the area around the shed was cleaned up, levelled, and mulched, and the composters moved into their final position. The remaining two Korean lilacs were relocated. The back lawn was cut, all of the Virgina Creepers were planted, the pool was emptied, cleaned and stored and the mosquito catcher was retired for the winter. Birdfeeders are up and full. We are getting ready....

Today the kitchen will be rearranged to accommodate our winter traffic pattern - really making room for the large planters that I want to bring in and keep by the sunroom windows.

Anything to keep feeling like something concrete is being done and I don't have to paint the guestroom....but I need to access my plant lights and the guestroom furniture is in the way. It is going to have to happen soon. DH calls these chores that I keep putting off "gumption traps". Chores that grow ever larger in my mind the longer I delay in tackling them. I like the sound of Chelone's bathroom ceiling colour and I may seek it out for that room.

Today's early morning excitement: as it is rainy I walked Ajax on the shortest possible route from TCS's school bus stop to home, a route I rarely take. As I was walking down the street, I heard a garage door opeing automatically, hear a huge crashing noise, and a moaning voice "Oh my G*d!". I ran into the garage to find an older man lying on the concrete floor, at the bottom of three steps, surrounded by blue box stuff, garbage cans etc. He had been trying to open the door at the top of the steps, found it locked, gave a huge tug to open it and had slipped and fallen. He struggled to get up, and then I noticed the blood. I helped him sit on the steps and checked him for cuts and didn't find anything, then noticed his sock was red....he had badly bruised and cut his shin. He had numerous other scrapes and bruises, but was not dizzy or shocky. I went to the front door to alert his wife, and then trotrted home to fetch DH, who is well trained in first aid, who would have the strength to help him up, and who would be able to take him to the ER if necessary. We stayed at the house for half an hour, administering ice packs and watching for any kind of disorientation or signs of head injury, stoke or whatever, and were relieved to find him in pretty good shape. We left him lying on his couch with ice packs while the wife phoned the doctor.

These folks are new to the neighbourhood - what a way to meet your neighbours!

Lucky that I walked that way this morning, and lucky that I had Ajax and not Tucker...Tucky would have licked the poor guy to bits! Ajax sits and stays.

IU VII. Would love to go, but maybe not possible as we have a family wedding to attend in Nova Scotia on June 26. However.....I wonder if there are timeshares near Kathy's house? Maybe....a bit too early for me to make a decision yet. But IU VI was such a blast!!!! Old stone wineries, hmmmm....Sounds wonderful!

Wow Mary, your feathered friends must be demonstrating their happiness with their new digs!

Would love to improve my mental health by staying around longer this morning, but my day awaits!

I'm off, to the school, to the library, to the grocery, to rearrange the kitchen....

Cheers,

Julie

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Gosh Julie, you were in the right place at the right time to help the man. Plus you knew exactly what to do .

I am no where near ready for winter here, but I better get crackin. I did some stuff outside today but just couldn't get into the swing of it. I just hate that when I want to accomplish a lot.

We are due for a weather change and that may be my problem.
    I hope we do get some rains as predicted.

Norma

• anitamo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, to echo a few others...TGIF!

Julie, I would love to have you as a neighbor. You put new meaning to the term Good Samaritan!

Expecting rain here, too, late Sunday through Tuesday. I can't think about winter yet, but am really looking forward to fall. Even the never-ending leaves.

Just a drive by,
    Anita

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Let me echo that TGIF! Only 8 more work days at 9.5 hours per day and then I get to go to an 8 hour day! Yay. Feeling a little bit like an indentured servant at the moment, but I know I am grateful to have a job.

Julie, you were certainly in the right place and doing the right thing.

Our book club got a good recommendation on "The Help". I read "Water for Elephants" and thoroughly enjoyed it, despite thinking at the very beginning that I would not like it.

I have to confess that all week I have been really, really tired and I am flagging now. I'll copy my haiku of the day and a photo to round out my post.

{{gwi:180471}}

Fall sun on prairie
    Ignites the Little Bluestem
    Making all things glow

g'nite!

V.

• flowerluvr
    14 years ago

HA! I KNEW it! Thank you, V!
    I got the wedding pictures all uploaded, it took forever! I'll get some posted before the baby is born, I promise :) Gotta go, we're leaving tomorrow, and I still haven't finished packing.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Bon Voyage Brenda!

V, Little Bluestem appears in Reed's garden. :)

Still knitting.
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Hola ! Just a quick wave here- thanks to saucys good record keeping I re-did the IU distribution list and hope that all interested parties received e-mails from me today. If you are wishing to attend or want to be updated on IU and did not get mail today , please let me know and I will add you to the list.

Wow V, an 8 hour day-that seems just like heaven to me. Ive been on 9 , sometimes 10 for 15 years. Im starting to think about winding down.

For book club folk, I submit The Music of Chance" by Paul Auster. This book is not new, (1990) but somewhat obscure I think . Good read if you want something a bit different, and short too.

Garden show tomorrow, pics will follow !

Kathy in Napa

• wendy2
    14 years ago

Good almost afternoon!

We have lift-off with the new washer! The delivery people arrived promptly at 8:15 and by 9:45 we were washing. DS and I watched through the looky-loo window and were fascinated. We both thought the clothes would be floating in water like fish in an aquarium, but that machine seems to do its thing with very little water. DS actually found an old chair in the basement, and stayed to watch the entire cycle. He called me down for the exciting parts, like the super-speed spin at the end. The dryer takes no time at all now, the clothers are half-dry when they come out of the washer.

Julie, you win the neighbor-of-the year award. Lucky you were walking by at just the right time.

V, love the haiku - keep 'em coming!

DD is at marching band practice, and I am fighting the urge to drive down to the high school field and watch them. I was instructed again this morning not to be "that parent". The only public performance the band had so far this year I missed because DD was sick. I actually signed on to be a chaperone at a few of their events in October, so I suppose I'll get my fill then. The other band parents advised the chaperones to ride a different bus from the one their children are on; it is less stressful that way - you can be in just chaperone mode instead of parent mode.

A West Coast Idyll - I'm getting excited! I've been to California, but never north of San Francisco.

Brenda, enjoy your vacation! Kathy, have fun at the garden show! I'll just keep doing my backlog of laundry, and treat myself to a viewing of the rinse cycle later on...

Enjoy the day everyone!

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

In for a little break. We've been enjoying Indian Summer here with temps in the 80's this week. Today there is a slight breeze which is quite wonderful (read keeps the fall bugs away)
    I've pulled a bunch of weeds. With vacation and missing the last 3 Saturdays and the evenings being so short, I've not spent much time in the garden other than pot watering and walating.

DH is at a 5th grade football game. I elected not to drive an hour each way and then sit through a game I really don't care for instead spending the day in my garden.

I've begun collecting some of the seeds I'd like to save.

I work 7 hours a day but have to add to that the hour round trip commute and that is plenty for me. In fact with all the changes occurring in the company with growth, I made sure the boss knew my desire to stay at 7 hours. He was agreeable.

IU7 plans sound interesting, but vacation time and vacation money will decide if its a possibility. With DD and family so far away, they are my first priority. DH loves CA and I've never been there.

My mom will have a new knee put in on Tues. and I plan to use some vacation time to be there. I'm glad my Dad is so good other than cooking and can really help her during the recovery. Especially since my siblings all live some distance and have young, active families. I plan on some meals for them so my mom will relax, which is not easy for her.

Julie, your neighbor was fortunate that you came by and are so caring.

Brenda, enjoy your vacation. Hint, you'd better get the wedding pictures posted before the baby, because afterwards the wedding seems so much less important. Advice from a grandma ;o)

Back to the garden.
    Michelle

• chelone
    14 years ago

What lovely, thoughtful people my Idyll friends are. Neighbors helping neighbors, family pulling together to get through unimaginably hard times, children stepping up to help ageing parents, and parents willingly "staying away" when they wish so much to be there... an amazing group you are. And it's my very great priviledge to be your friend. :)

I've been indescribeably sad these past few days. Intermittantly OK with the news of my friend's death and then absolutely overwhelmed by the knowledge that he opted to achieve it himself. Never, in my wildest dreams, as we sunned on the raft in the lake in the summer of '77 would I have remotely considered this end for him. I wonder if he did?

The compressor on the 'frig. seems to be in its death throes, too. There is a stuttering, "thunk, thunk, thunk" that occurs in a predictable rhythm lately, but I've not had what it takes to undertake an examination and the helpmeet has yet to address it, either. I don't care.

I have enjoyed the pictures you've posted. I have that grass, too, V. and 'bug. I love it. Mine is still in its pot but prospering, nonetheless. Which is good because the notion of time in the garden is remote and not in the least important at this time.

The Wrecking Crew was here last night and they are such idiots. I thought of you, Woody, as I ordered them to "sit!". They did so immediately after basically ignoring their mistress' command to do do. "How did you do that?", simple! I give an ORDER, there is no hint of gentle suggestion in my voice. Do it, or I will beat you to within an inch of your life... lol. Foolishly, I did not buy the requisite 2 6' leather leashes to go with the training collars... . I will do that tonight or tomorrow. Those foolish harnesses and 4' webbing leashes are for the birds! Geez, I hate dogs, so much work, all the time, and there never seems to be a break.

Michelle, good wishes to your Mom on her knee replacement. I know several people who've had them and are so, so glad they did the work required. Good move!

I've been reading and following along, but some days just don't have what it takes to participate.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Good afternoon....

I had a minute and thought I would pop in to say hello. Our house is in crisis mode at the moment. DH had a medical procedure about 10 days ago and developed a serious infection and had to be rushed to the ER. After cultures came back it was discovered that it was a rare strain of bacteria. It has been a rough 10 days and he is still in the hospital. He's improved and is doing pretty good right now, but the only antibiotic he could take has to be given by IV. The kids have been helping out a great deal and have just left to go in to see him again this afternoon and bring him homemade soup and supplements.

All my computer time has been researching. It will be the middle of next week before DH can come home, so I will be missing in action awhile longer. Life can certainly change on a dime! As you all know.

Hoping everyone is doing well. Do some gardening for me. :-)

PM2

• denisez10
    14 years ago

Swept along in a rush of who knows what but wanted to check in. Just got back from a bonzai overnight trip up north to accompany Mitch while he photographed the preview of The Late Show on Thurs evening (twilight or "magic" hour for photography, doncha know), same garden show Kathy attends on Sat. The speaker lineup sounded great, esp. mosaic artist Jeffrey Bale, but had to miss it. West Coast idyll plans sounds great, and maybe I can finally get to one, ya think?

I'm so very sorry about your friend, Chelone. Cause for sadness indeed to lose a friend in such a way. And a dollop of extra beatings for the Wrecking Crew for vexing you so.

Saw The September Issue, inside look at Vogue/Anna Wintour, and enjoyed it very much. Those who enjoy photography, fabrics and design might find it interesting.

Hurray to Brenda & V for meeting up and then telling us all about it, with the requisite photos (and haikus...)

PM, what ghastly news. Best wishes to you and your family in such stressful times.

Michelle -- your garden knocks me out, but you know that. Sounds like your Mom has all the support she'll need for the upcoming surgery, thank goodness, and from your brief description of her I bet she's the kind of patient that roars back from joint replacement surgeries. I know my mom was such a patient and has done fabulously well with two such surgeries.

I'm still missing lots to comment on with this scattershot approach. I did so enjoy the French cat who repeatedly dunked his head under the faucet, and so did Duncan -- I think 'bug may have posted that. Great shot of Mary's girls lined up on the henhouse, with the ringer in the middle. Two of my neighbors are in the special ed dept of the school district, so I know how exhausting that work can be.

Honey, sorry your beautiful garden has to have its boundaries redrawn and replanted. What a nuisance. But seeing what you've created, I eagerly look forward to the new "after" photos.

Deanne, the bird photos continue to astound, and I enjoyed the before and after photos of your container garden. What a surge of growth you get from those pots in August.

Temps continue to cool here, which is a godsend. Ein's fur is growing in on his back where he chewed himself a mohawk when the high temps hit in August, the little dickens. I'm up to my ears in little cat food cans of seedlings that are now sprouting and will need repotting, and it looks like the fall-blooming salvias might give a good show this year.

Have a great weekend.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Not much is getting done today , so I m pouring a glass of wine and leaving off pretending to be productive.

I will post some photos for you tomorrow from the Late Show Gardens..very interesting and thought provoking eventgreat potential for the future , especially if they fix some of the logistics type issues. The vendor booths were way too small making it difficult to navigate them or to see the plantsand there were awesome plants too , from some great nurseries. There is plenty of room on the property to spread those out a bit . And the venue for the speakers was too small too- SRO spilling out the door. The display gardens were wonderful- for the most part they werent places to be in so much as they were living art all speaking to the theme of sustainability and water-resource conservation. I bought not one thing though , though I spent some time gazing longingly into Marcia Donahues booth .

Wendy, I lold at your dramatic washing machine tale, envision the rapt attention of DS-reminded me of the to-do with the first family in my childhood neighborhood to get a color TV !

Michelle, you start charging admission to that beautifuk garden or your and you should have the cash for a trip out to California saved up in no time !

Sorry you are still feeling blue Chelone. Hope that innate sense of humor picks you up out of the doldrums upon occasion. Sometimes stuff just stinks, and hurts. Theres not much of anything that is worse than despair, not much harder that trying to help people who have it.

Denise, how funny that you were just over yonder on Thursday- was Mitch taking pics for the press or what ? Howd he get the gig ? Did you guys get the chance to meet Saxon Holt ?

PM, so sorry to hear of the scary med issues with your DH , it made me think of the stuff Julies DH had going on a few months ago. I hope he feels better soon, and you will be able visit us more often.

Time to go see about getting the Chuckwagon in gearnite all

Kathy in Napa

• anitamo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Closing out this thread of 100 posts of HOPE!!! Some days, it's all we have to hang on to.

(((((((chelone))))))) Even in your down days, you deliver such nice inspiring messages. Thank you.

(((((((PM2))))))) Wishing the speediest recovery for DH. My dad contacted MRSA after a hospital procedure, and it took forever to get well. The saving grace was finally calling in CDC. They got to the bottom of it. Hope DH does, too. We miss you.

(((((((michelle)))))) Sending out good thoughts to your mom for all to go smoothly.

brenda...enjoy your escape to V's prairieland.

'Nite all,
    Anita

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

The Autumn news around here seems glum indeed with sadness, surgery and rare strains of bacteria. I think of each and every one as I go about my days.

I thank you for your Book Club selections and have added all to my list. We'll see what gets voted in!

Today I evicted a 'native' witchhazel from the pond area and plunked it further into the wilds. I planted the Seven Sons Shrub from a deep shade area in its stead, where it should get more light. It is sulking, so I don't know if/how it will fare there yet.

DD is kindly keeping me updated with photos. That smile continues to astound. Haven't seen a grumpy one yet, but I know she cries heart wrenching sobs when she wakes up. She just hates to wake up for some reason. Here is a picture that produces mixed feelings!

{{gwi:180473}}

Good night!(We had frost last night and expect a repeat tonight.)
    'bug

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County