Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

# 400 Idylling Under the Same Moon

dodgerdudette
15 years ago

400 Idylls times 100= 40,000 posts ...wow ...on to 500!

Kathy in Napa

Comments (104)

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Eden, I'm thinking of you and your family.

(((Eden)))

• jak1
    15 years ago

Oh Eden, I'm sorry. Even if your mother wasn't well, and you were expecting her to pass away, you are never ready. My condolences to you and your family.

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

(((EDEN))) Thinking of you all. She is at peace now. Norma

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

Eden, I'm so very sorry about your mom. She had such great spirit. You are a lucky woman.

I'm keeping your family in my thoughts tonight.

Sue

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

So sorry, Eden. She had a wonderful spirit.

V.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

(((((Eden)))) I wish you peace,companionship and the comfort of your family around you. Thank you so much for thinking of us at such a difficult time-we do worry don't we? We'll be here for you when you return, all of us under the same moon.

Kathy in Napa

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good Evening Idylls, hoping Thursday evening sees you all well , though not the best of times for some of our friends.

One of those odd kind of days at work-you drive into the office having mentally prioritized your day (mind you my drive is 1 mile) and it took me about ten minutes after arrival and two sips of coffee to realize that what ever it was I had planned for myself was not in the cards. I felt ok about by the end of the day because I had helped several people with problems they were having and that can be pretty gratifying even if you dont get much of your own stuff done.
    One of my outdoor temp transmitters read 39 this morning ! I decided it was defective., but it was pretty nippy out when I left for work.

For those of you who commented on my IU5 tailgate pic, you must admit that there was nothing uncharacteristic about us stuffing our faces ! It was hotter that h&*l wasnt it ? And way more humid that what Im used to . But wasnt the food at that little place great.. I still remember my tarragon chicken-salad sandwich on croissant. That was the best sandwich I had all summer, though Im sure the company had something to do with it.

Im thinking my contribution to Idyll camp will be a homemade Tamale cooking event,(this can be quite a lengthy process) culminating in the eating of same, along with margaritas, salsa, guacamole, etc etc. When does the kitchen get installed in the salon ??

Saucy, your class sounds very fun .. bet you are the Valedictorian ! Go Saucy !!! Not GI-normous, but Statuesque ..an important disctinction.

Trying to comment on Marys grotto.. I looked on Ryan Gaineys website this morning because his was the first garden I thought of , but he is a merchandising machine and you cant get much info out of him unless you buy something. At my high school we had a BVM grotto, and to me I just think of a recess, rocks or stone may be involved , but it is shady, lush and green. It should also be segregated from the main garden in the interest of meditation.

Marian, if I shut down my internet browser it seems like I can post again the same day. If I get the rejection notice I just add a word to the tile and re-post it. I think I agree with Michelle also that if a few hours have elapsed there does not seem to be an issue.

Wendy, I find that kind of sweet that your DS was so worried about his assignment agenda. Im sure mine would have just said oh well, who cares . LOL Mary in the blue bathtub.

Thinking of you Michelle, saying goodbye to your Kenzie. Too many goodbyes around here of late.

Thats all for me tonight. Sweet dreams to all

Kathy in Napa

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

((((Eden and Family)))) I'll be looking for the new star ...

Martie

• Full_Bloom
    15 years ago

Eden...I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. She was a special woman with an amazing spirit. I'm so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Ei

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

TGIF!

Brrrr....46 F here this morning. No more chasing the dogs around the yard to get them to come back in. The containers are starting to get tired. It's dark by 7:15. Goodbye summer, see you next year. Has anybody else been really tired this week? I know I'm getting enough sleep. This morning was better-perhaps the promise of the weekend is energizing.

Busy weekend coming up. Tomorrow morning I have to go pick up a couple of rescue dogs and transport them an hour away, swap them with another and then bring him to a nearby foster home. Hopefully I'll be back in time to dig plants for the CT plant swap on Sunday morning (also an hour away). Why did I volunteer to bake something for that? lol

OK gotta run, work has been crazy. My desk is turning into the black hole. Had my annual performance review this week and got relatively high marks from the fairly new boss who said he has been accused of being a "tough grader". Guess he likes my brand of boss abuse...lol.

Later.

Sue

• jak1
    15 years ago

Good morning all!

Waking up to frost on the pumkins these days so I am spending all day outside with multiple layers of sweaters, rubber boots and gardeng gloves working in ernest to get things at least kind of shaped up for the winter. I bring in quite a few plants so I treat them with a home made garden mix to make sure that I don't bring in little critters or mold and stuff. It works very well for me. In case any of you want to give it a shot, here's the recipe:

1 1/2 tablespoons baking soda
    1 tablespoon insecticidal soap
    1 tablespoon cooking oil
    17 cups of water
    1 tablespoon white vinegar

Mix and spray.

I use this weekly on all of my insect and disease-prone plants and reapply after rain. Makes a difference. I water the soil and spray the plants that are in pots before I bring them in.

I have another mix that I use when I remember - and next summer I'll remember a whole lot more often, believe me! This one is to repel rabbits and deer.

1 litre of water
    2 tablespoons of Murphy's Oil Soap
    1 capful of yellow mouth wash.

It is important to buy the yellow mouthwash as the pretty coloured ones taste nice and minty and the animals love that. The yellow ones usually taste awful. I use Listerine or Cepacol and I keep it in my cleaning cupboard so the Philistines don't use it all up! When I use this the local wildlife don't use my gardens as a salad bar. But again, it has to be applied weekly and after rain. I now keep a big jug of each of these in my garden shed and keep a chaeap spray bottle of each in the garage near the front gardens and in the shed near the back.

Yesterday was bright but chilly. I dug in a lot of bricks I think I will have all of the gardens done by freeze up - one of my personal goals at the beginning of the summer. I drained and cleaned Adrian's pool and hung it on 4 chairs to dry. Today it will be bundled up and moved into the basement. I cut most of the lawns, cut down the peonies, and Monarda, and ripped out a ton of Ajuga and Creeping Thyme making the front garden look a little neater. Today the peopny is coming out, being split and trotted off to it's new homes. The huge Hostas in front of the boulder are coming out too, and going to DD's to live in a shady garden there. She is a whole zone warmer that I am (I'm talking about her weather you guys *LOL*) and the Hostas should really flourish there. This will leave a huge ugly gap right in front of the massive boulder that sits in the middle of my front garden. After seeing Deanne's beautiful creations, I have decided that beautiful Cannas flanked by huge Taros will go in this space, with a riot of Coleus in front. This will have to wait until Spring. But there are some huge and gorgeous Cannas in the community compost so as soon as the frost hits them, I will dig them, dust them and store them for next Spring.

Ahhh, I love gardening. Always something new to look forward to!

Speaking of Deanne - our library didn't have the May issue of Fine Gardening...I will have to check with a friend whom I think has a subscription. And you posted a fabulous Hummer shot - what a little beauty!

Michelle, hugs to you. THis must be a very difficult time for you.

Somebody asked what grade my little one is in: He feels very grown up to be in Grade 2.

DH can do nothing this fall to help. He has torn some sort of little gristly thing shaped like a cup that holds his wrist together, so is splinted and medicated, and armed with a stack of library books. I told him the house would suffer because I would have to do everything inside and out, and he smiled and said that the place always looks great any way and not to worry.

Well, DGS is here hanging over my shoulder, and it's time to start our day!

Keep Smiling!'

Julie

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Good morning

Ugh! Ice on the car windscreen this morning:0(

I have to change gears and head to my regular job this morning with a meeting with my supervisor to map out teh year ahead. It will be a change of pace from yesterday spent at the new house site.

Grotto ideas are emerging - thanks for the input and chuckles. Kathy - yes, definitely segregated. In fact I marked out winding paths in the wooded area and the grotto will be located off one, in a secluded corner that already has the remains of an old stone wall.

Michelle - thoughts to you as you say good-byes to Kenzie.

Deanne - that is an AMAZING shot of the hummer. Fabulous lighting.

Gotta run - have a good one everyobody.

Mary

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Julie, you have mail :)

It certainly is cool this morning.

I plan to work in the GG and continue with sod removal. Woody, I am following your exact plan! I will have Jake come behind me and remove several more inches of soil so that I can have a good base for the decomposed granite.

I'm being shoo'd from this computer....it is needed for work purposes, drat :)

TTYL.

Saucy

• chelone
    15 years ago

I've been really busy one the Compound, blissfully toiling away at the many tedious tasks that overwhelm when they loom ahead but prove a real joy when you can cross them off one by one. I haven't "finished" the lastest Idyll, but...

Eden, I am so very sorry to learn of you mother's death. I really mean that. Even as I felt great relief when Mum died I was deluged with memories of all she was to me and how largely she figured in my life. She'd always "been there" and regardless of how "compromised" her formidable intellect had been since her stroke there were still traces of the insight and searing insight that was her hallmark on the development of my brother and me. I shed tears now reading your sad announcement because I know how it feels. All I can do is tell you how sorry I am because I really do understand. We're here when you need us and when you feel like participating. (((Eden)))

• babs_clare
    15 years ago

(((((Eden & your family)))))) My thoughts are with you despite the miles between us. What a special soul your mom was.As always, you are in my prayers.

~Babs

p.s. I haven't been able to read but a certain hummingbird caught my eye! Deanne that hummingbird is absolutely beautiful!!

• honey_mi
    15 years ago

(((((((Eden)))))), I'm so sorry to hear this awful news. May all the love,laughter and closeness of the past comfort you and your family now. Love and hugs,
    Honey

• honey_mi
    15 years ago

Hi Idylls,

Just a quick note before running to the airport. DH is flying in today from Frankfurt. So we'll be quite busy catching up and getting him ready to leave next week for Italy. I'll try to jump in if DH and DD aren't on the 'puter and I have a free moment. I'm just reeling from all the awful news and great loses here and at home lately. I think of you guys all the time but have been like a gerbil on a treadmill these last few months.

Back soon,
    Honey

• just_t
    15 years ago

(((Eden)))

T.

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

For those with posting questions:

You cannot post multiple messages with the same subjust within a certain amount of time (I forget the time - just a few minutes). This was implimented a year or two ago to stop duplicate posts.

If you want to post two messages within a few minutes you have to change the Subject line.

Jerri

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Well the goodbyes and hugs are over. DD has set up a website to put pictures on. Kenzie was thrilled with her travel gift. I even put a gardening magazine in. Shes probably the only kid that likes to look at gardening magazines. I was unable to get my DVD burned but put it on a memory stick and DSIL was able to quickly accomplish the task. We went to a nice local restaurant for dinner.

Im thinking that some fall garden projects will take my mind off things. Ive been making a list of plants that need to move. Either they clash with their neighbors or they are too tall and hide those behind. I will need to wait until next week when cooler temps are predicted. I have about 15 of brick edging that still needs to be installed around the butterfly garden. In the Secret Garden I started edging it with rocks but that isnt working very well with the mower. Id like to find more bricks or maybe some concrete edgers to use instead. Of course all of the normal garden cleanup, cuttings etc.

This a.m. I watered containers and did a count. Im an amateur compared to some here with a mere 103. Some of these are small and mono pots. There are also the topiaries that Im trying to do for Marties challenge. I started a number hoping to have one that survives and looks decent.

Julie, sorry to hear that your garden helper (DH) is laid up. Since my DH farms fall and spring are his busy seasons so I never have help then. Mid-summer he will help with projects.

A quote for the day:

No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth,
    no culture comparable to that of the garden ...
    But though an old man, I am but a young gardener.
    - Thomas Jefferson, Garden Book, 1811

Michelle

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Lurking here.
    :) to all.

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

I too want to tell Eden how sorry I am that such a special person has left our lives. I say "our" because you have been so lovely to share portions of her with us from time to time and she was indeed a lovely, valiant person. Thinking of you and your family thru the next phase of life's challenge.

Michelle, I hope you are able to keep your mind well occupied w/ making those gardens of yours even more special to share with your Kenzie and family to keep coming back to visit. I LOVE that she enjoys garden mags!

--Cindy

• chelone
    15 years ago

So... I've "finished" the Idyll du jour and my heart is heavy. Not that there has been a lack of much that is fun, exciting, and light-hearted, but because so many souls near and dear to me are so saddened. I've drawn a deep breath, exhaled slowly, and shed a tear/two for those grieving now. I know, from experience, that the pain will dissipate, but right now it's "real". Doesn't matter that the sun is brilliant, the sky is blue, and the day is beautiful, but it makes it easier. I understand. I feel it, too, my good friends. :/

Sooo... we're adding stained glass to the arts and crafts program, are we?! Well, guys, I'm all for that. I'm dazzled by the proposed curriculum, frankly... think we could get Mary to lead the assault on the temperatmental septic "mix-master" that comprises the "business end" of a below grade sewage ejector? How many cots/bunkbeds do I have to rustle up for this affair? How many days do you think we'll need... sounds like a full week, if you ask me. I can't think of better company or a more fulfilling way to fill Idyll days.

Brenda, I can't even feature jumping out of plane ONCE, but you're going to do it AGAIN? But, as one of the "sisterhood" the size of your "chesticles" is unquestioned. I will laugh again at your humorous mention of sagging 40+ yr. old skin. You crack me up regularly. I hope this "drop" is every bit as thrilling as the first one was. You amaze me.

Mary, I'm a bad one to ask about grottos for the VM. I've read way too much Tudor history lately to provide anything useful. I was going to suggest some kerbside cruising on a big item collection day and a can of bright blue spray paint... , NOT "pc". Unrepentant, however. Mostly because I think "pc" is stupid and dulls the edge of rapier wit. If the "grotto" is to be cool, shaded, etc. (which is what a grotto conveys to me), I'd be all over Hostas, Polygonatum, FERNS (esp. the native sort), Leucothoe, etc.. The effect should be quiet, respectful, unassuming, and reflective. But what does someone as iconoclastic as I know of such things, anyway? I know you will deliver a lovely result with your own special touch.

Pantyhose is a much underused resource! Julie, you are a natural for this group, lol. Mum used them as filters for the washing machine. I can see them bulging with accumulated lint with every load. At the time she used them the washing machine was the sort with the open basin that you operated with the "manual shift". It had a wringer on it, too. I was about Kenzie's age when she'd have me feed the clothes through the wringer... . "Careful, lamb... don't get your fingers near the rollers... it could break them and it that would be very painful". Seems so long ago right now, but also as if it was just yesterday. (((Eden))) and (Michelle). LOVE, love, love that both you and Brenda have put them to such good use. The past week/nearly 2 has found me reflective and frequently melancholy, your mention of pantyhose made me smile at our common memories. Needed that, thanks!

PM2, I watered the windowboxes yesterday and while I've never used hayracks (except for horses!) I understand the necessity of watering regularly, more importantly the necessity of feeding them with every watering. Keeping our little Annual nitrogen junkies "hooked" is how we keep pretty displays until Jack Frost finally steals his forever kiss. Soon, for us, I suspect.

I've been remiss is comments to Babs., Saucy, Wendy, "t", and newly, Julie, and everyone else who regularly interacts with kids. We need to hear more from you guys (even though I hate kids, as you know). Wendy, what's with not callin' "spit" , SPIT. Puleeze! call it what it is... and willya pull my thumb while you're at it?

I very much look forward to the vim, vigor, and fun you offer to my virtual window. That's because you're all very dear to me, you know.

• chelone
    15 years ago

((('bug)))

Lurking is good.

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

'bug!!! Very good to 'see' you.
    It's so nice having everyone posting again. It's like a family reunion - only with people you like! ;)

Hugs to all the Idylls who need them right now.

Jerri

• chelone
    15 years ago

Jerri, I really have to dig some of these Iris, interested?
    {{gwi:180631}}
    They're really "old fashioned", but they smell great. I think I can resurrect your address, if not I can contact you via e-mail. BUT: how should I package them for transport? I need help with that, anyone?

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Chelone, when Jain sent me iris, she let the soil dry, shook it off the rhizomes, cut the fans down to around 4-6" and then packed them in newspaper, I believe.

Worked like a charm :)

Chelone, we'll need cots for at least 30....you know there will be stragglers of all kinds clamoring for a bed :)

Deanne, I missed the hummingbird this morning....it's a beautiful shot worthy of a frame! We enjoyed a hummer while we were eating al fresco the other day. The kids got to see it light on a branch and we all thought that was special.

Michelle, it sounds like it went as well as could be expected. I'll bet Kenzie is excited about her new adventure, and she'll always have her special place with you. I hope you get to visit her soon. Hugs to you, friend.

Jerri, it is good to "see" everyone :)

I've been thinking a lot about grottos, but I wanted to tell Mary that I love my woodchips for my woodland paths....this year we used the wood chips that were the by-product of the old maple from my back yard....they've held up great and they blend into their surroundings.

Anyway...I didn't get much done today that I wanted to do, so I'm going to go see about playing in the GG now.
    TTYL....or not....

Saucy

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

Gotta run, we're off on vacation. I just wanted to pop in and say, "See ya when I get back".
    (((Idylls)))
    Figured at this point, everyone has one coming :/
    Brenda

• babs_clare
    15 years ago

Hi guys!

aww,Michelle I KNEW Kenzie was special-you reminded me that when I was a kid I loved to read the Burpee seed catalogs that my dad would get when he veggie gardened. I would spend whole afternoons deciding which seeds I'd buy-they were usually any of the unusual types like purple string beans or blue potatoes...funny that I didn't know then that I too would become a gardener.Cool. Kenzie and you have such a great connection that no matter where she lives you're still with her. Which mag is her favorite?

Chelone did you just pull your *own* finger???lol

Jerri-I just happen to be going to a family reunion tomorrow...I sure wish it would be as fun as an Idyll reunion-for sure.Maybe I'll take a straw; )

Hi(('Bug!))-it's good to know you're there.

Brenda-how cool that you're going to plunge again! I just watched your video again a few days ago and it's just such an uplifting experience to watch. To see how pumped and energized you were by it was neat to be able to see.

Mary I only did a quick skim-do you need plant Ideas for the grotto or more of an actual design layout?

I hope to come back-the lawn needs mowing..

~babs

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Chelone, I love the old fashioned iris - the fragrance is wonderful :) Yes, I want some. I'll email you.

Hmm... I'm not sure about my contribution to the Idyll boot-camp at Chelone's! I'm a great cook. I also make soap. It's really cool. I'm very good at oh-ing and ah-ing over the garden and spoiling any 4 legged critter around. :)

Have a wonderful weekend all.

Jerri

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

I want to hug Eden.
    Honey, so good to know you are out there with Tom.

I want to thank you all privately...and simply can not, but support has been kind and heartfelt. Thank you for letters and cards, full of sentiments I cannot begin to express. The messages on the Edmonton obituary page too. The donations to Sarah and Wayne's causes...All are a great comfort.

There are many stages to go through, misplaced guilt being the top one these days. Yesterday was a good day, with DSIL singing in the shower again for the first time, planting bulbs, etc. Today was filled with the incredible void as they bought a child's gift for someone's birthday and saw the perfect tricycle...And so it is a yo yo game...with no fixed time for a resolution. They will make it. Right now I don't want to speak much about this, but eventually will be my typical open self, OK?

Today friends gardened for me and lots was accomplished. Always more of course. It was lovely out.

So we are making small steps.
    Phoebe peed with delight upon my return. She is a goofy joy for us these days. ;)

I'm around. Is summer camp a virtual dream or an actual planned event? Pardon me for not understanding. Folks on DD's forum are making her a quilt. These ideas and projects together are wonderful...

A bath sounds right just now. Cheers to all.
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Back at you bug. Chelones summer camp may be a whimsy, but one can never tell with this group ! Always glad to see you, 5 words or 50. And by the way, thanks for sending Julie over to join us. :-)

Came home from work, watered my nemesis the Brugmansia, and helped DS burn CDs for his bands gig tonight, and will settle down for baseball (Dodgers vs. Giants, big rivalry thing) and an adult beverage or two. Time to settle down with the Idylls.

Really Julie, you are just too industrious and organized ! Can I possibly catch up with your whirlwind of activity ?? I have no Phils here to interrupt and get in my way. That FG issue was not the regular monthly by the way, it was a special Container Gardening issue, and subscribers had to buy on the newsstand. Poor DH !

Michelle, 103 containers is pretty impressive Maybe I should count mine tommorow- I might have more than I think I do. It sure seems like a lot when Im hose and watering can hauling. I hope to do a fall renovation on a couple of them tomorrow too.

Lol Jerri "It's like a family reunion - only with people you like! ;)

30 people at summer camp, Chelone may have to rent some porta-potties and erect some sceen houses on the grounds of the compound for the overflow. Maybe those rich folk across the road will let some of us bunk down there ? We can bring them some tamales, and a tufa pot with cuttings of Deannes coleus.

Kathy in Napa

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

It does my heart good to see your last post, Marie. I understand....

Now it is my bedtime. Hope to see you all tomorrow.

Marian

• saucydog
    15 years ago

It's so good to see you, GB.

Kathy, maybe I could talk my MIL into letting us use her house in Maine....we'll have to keep Sue out of the hot tub, though :)

Sue, you know you're going to be as infamous as Mary and the lime green undies, right?

Time to shut the computer down....but before I go - Jerri, I keep forgetting to tell you how disgusted I was by that episode of Oprah that you mentioned. John Kerry got an email from me....sorry to hear that email is not the best method of communication, but it was the best I could do.

Tomorrow is 'Tufa Workshop! I hope it's fun for my guinea pigs :)

Don't everyone go flooding Julie with FG....I had an extra copy and sent it to her this afternoon.

Well, off to bed for me. I'm gonna have to throw on an extra blanket tonight :)

Saucy

• Monique z6a CT
    15 years ago

Just back from vacationing on the Cape and have been skimming.

Eden and GB, so sorry for your losses. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Monique

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

*Yawn*....2am....not liking being up at this hour again, second time this week. We do have a couple who cleans for us and have had someone for over ten years now. It is a running joke around here that once they have been here, watch out....lol. It hasn't happened in awhile, but we have a new couple and they dust the alarm clock in the bedroom and for some reason they manage to set the alarm? It went off at midnight. *sigh* DH got back to sleep, but I got tired of tossing and turning and figured I may as well get up. Last time it was the answering machine. They somehow managed to press the button on the base that shuts off the answering machine. We didn't notice until I missed my hair appointment. [g] I think while I am thinking of it, I will set a calendar alarm to check the phone and alarm clocks after they are here next time.

So...hello 'bug! Glad to see you checking in and so nice to hear that your friends have been helping you in the garden yesterday. The weather has been perfect here with clear skies and comfortable temps for the past couple of weeks, pretty much. Although I think my middle of the night excursions into the garden are done for the year. Too cool out there! I love the fall weather...a little cooler and drier is nice. A nice fall day in the garden with friends, sounds very soothing.

Well...the hot chocolate has kicked in and it is too cool here, so back to bed with me. I'm sure I will be checking in tomorrow...

G'night

• drema_dianne
    15 years ago

I wanted to pop in and try to post something. I have been mostly skimming the idylls, but have seen some great pictures. Hi to all of you!

Deanne, LOVE the hummingbird. You have a gift!

Brenda you said it well when you gave all the idylls a hug. By the way, hat's off to you for taking the jump!

Lots of people said it, but I want to ditto that this is an exceptionally special group of people who have found each other. Love the power of the internet.

Saucy, I wish I could come to your tufa class. My one experiment with tufa didn't turn out so well. I tried to make a trough as we saw at Inta's, but the sides sort of mushed in and it is unplantable. We will have to have a tufa class at the next idyllunion.

Michelle, I loved your quote from Thomas Jefferson. I am going to have that printed on a sign for my garden. Or maybe I will stick it on the front of my greenhouse when Skip gets it built next spring. Well, you know a trip to the tropics is in your future! There is a Florida gardening forum on GWeb. We were thinking of moving there a few years ago, and they sound like a great group. A lot of them are transplants from the north. There was a funny thread that said you know you are a Florida gardener when... it gave me some laughs.

Bug, so nice to "see" you.

Jerri, I did not know you made soap. My daughter and I have been making soap, because she has become very aware of parabens and other chemicals. She is trying to buy organic dish soap, Burt's Bees shampoo, etc. We thought maybe we could make it a business. My daughter would love to have a shop like the one in the movie Practical Magic. SIL is working on our website. If you have any great recipes you would like to share, feel free to email me privately if you don't want to take up Idyll space. So far we have used Olive oil and Lye, then hand milled it last weekend. I made some with lavender from the garden, sage and cedarwood, milk and honey, and oatmeal. Do you put fragrance in yours? We used essential oil instead of fragrance oil to keep with the organic theme. It takes a long time to cure it, but we hope to have a usable batch soon.

Monique, I wanted to tell you that I finally got an Abies Koreana, this was a Siberlocke. Ever sind we went to Rich's Foxwillow I have wanted the Nanimo, but we don't have any around here. Anyway, I had a $50 rebate card from my cell phone which I used to purchase the best Abies I could find at the nursery. He lost one or two needles, so I thought maybe he needed water. I watered him every day, because I know that is what they do at the nursery, but he now has no needles at all. I even purchased special dirt for him. Must have done something wrong. I love conifers, and want to have a whole section in my garden for them, but I may not have the touch for them. Not ready to quit yet.

For those of you who bring plants in for the winter, should I cut back my salvias or try to treat them as a houseplant under the lights? I know they are annuals, but I can't always find the same ones every year, and thought I would try to save them. Ditto on some of my geraniums. I have scented geraniums that I would like to keep, and don't know if the best way is to cut them back, or put them under lights.

Hope you all have a great weekend!
    D.

• Full_Bloom
    15 years ago

Hi Idylls!

Bug it *is* good to know youre here. We have had beautiful weather this last week; sunny and in the 70s-80s....just my kind of weather. Im glad you had friends to work with you in the garden....gardens & friends are always very comforting to have around. I know we all wish we could be there with you too, but we are all there in spirit.

PM2...sorry you couldnt sleep last night!
    Thanks for the kind words about my garden! :-) I wasnt sure which plant you were asking about in the photo from my garden at the old IU, but in that pic there is a Sutherland Gold who is not looking too gold at the time, a Vanderwolfs pine, which unfortunately died and has now been replaced with Pinus strobus Fastigiata; Clematis Lasustern (I think), Monarda Raspberry Queen, Verbena bonariensis, and Calmagrostis Karl Forester.
    Since you asked :-) Here are some pics of the birdbaths. I stink at taking pictures. The colors are off, except for the red bird bath. The blue one looks more green than it really is and the purple one looks like it is pink and blue, but is really more purple.

The red one:

{{gwi:180635}}
    The blue:

{{gwi:180639}}
    and the purple:

{{gwi:180643}}
    {{gwi:180647}}
    Denise that Clematis florida is gorgeous and probably *not* hardy here! :-( Anyone in Zone 5 have luck with it?

Michelle...thinking of you and Kenzie! I think it was Martie who said she could see Kenzie as some important horticulturist when she grows up....I think so too! It will be nice to say; "Ah yes, Kenzie....well *I* knew that girl when she was knee-hi to a grasshopper! :-) Truly though, how wonderful it is that Kenzie shares your love of gardening.

Chelone - Do you call your kitty; Pan? :-) I love that pic of him gazing upon his reflection...or is that a girl? Anyway its a very neat pic and I love that his reflection was captured in the photo. Your gardening projects sound wonderful! The painted outline and bare soil sure does make a gardeners blood start pumping! :-)

Hi Marian...how neat that you have a bald cypress! Ive always wanted one and just got a weeping standard one a few weeks ago...it was a deal that I couldnt pass up. I have it planted by the pond. Has your bald cypress started developing knees yet? I read somewhere (I think) that they will only form knees if there is a lot of standing water where they are planted. If so, I doubt mine will ever develop knees. Which Clethra do you have? I have Ruby Spice Clethra, but they arent thriving. I think maybe theyre getting too much sun or maybe not enough water?

Speaking of which, Sue, if I never told you before, Thanks for telling me about Hydrangea Lemon Wave. I planted it a couple years ago after your recommendation. I was so surprised this year when it actually bloomed a kind of a mauve-pink....I *love* the variegation.

Mary...I like Susans suggestion of the Madonna lilies...I think thats perfect! If it *is* kind of tucked away in the distance and in shade; have you thought of making it an all-white garden with silver and green highlights? I admit Im partial to white gardens, but I also think it would light up the area and flatter the Madonna and give the Madonna a more regal and soothing presence. I liked the colchium suggestion (sorry, I forgot who said it at the moment). Also, what about white snowdrops and pulminaria Excalibur (which is all silver and seems pretty resistant to mildew for me); definitely some Dicentra spectabilis Alba, Bruces White" Phlox is one of my favorite scented spring bloomers, some white toad lilies, Cimicifuga The Pearl, Veronicastum, Variegated Solomons Seal. Summer is the hardest for white bloomers in the shade, Ive found, but there is always white impatiens, caladiums, tuberous begonias and wax begonias! :-)... and of course; hostas and ferns, some white tulips and daffs for the spring, white hellebores, etc., etc. Well, whatever you decide, Im sure it will be beautiful ...she is lucky to have you. Ill stop now...I get carried away, I know.

Have a wonderful vacation Brenda....speaking of which, I will be going on vacation in a few days too, so will probably have to catch up when I get back.

The sun is shining and it 74 degrees right now and I plan to get out and do some more garden clean up. Have a lovely day all!

BTW Thanks Deanne for IDing some of my succulents. If you would like the variegated one or any others, just email me and let me know and I will send them along. They are easy to send (according to Anita). You just send them bare root in moistened newspaper.
    The hummingbird pic is *stunning*. Did you tell him to move over to the coral colored salvia?...LOL! What a beautiful composition...I've saved him to my "Deanne's Birds" file...hope you don't mind! :-)

Have a wonderful day all!

P.S. V...please check your email. I sent you a note last night and am biting my nails waiting for your response! :-)

Ei

• Full_Bloom
    15 years ago

Oh shoot! I *knew* there was something else I wanted to say....Thanks so much Norma for the fried green tomato tips! My dear old neighbor Mrs. Shack use to make them for me and I *loved* them. Luckily (or unluckily) I have plenty of green tomatoes to practice with....Thanks again! Ei

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

GB - great to 'see' you! I wish you were closer so I could come help you weed... It's perfect weather for working outside - I'd better get out there soon! By the way, I was showing my friend who owns Copper pictures of Phoebe. She thinks it would be fun to introduce Phoebe and Copper sometime - they have very similar, playful personalities and look a fair bit alike in body shape and size. They could be hilarious together I think! (Did you see the funny Copper and paint incident I posted earlier on the thread? If Phoebe had a tail, I can picture her in the same situation!)

Ei - I love those birdbaths, especially the last one. I have no birdhbaths here because West Nile Virus is still an issue, so standing water is a concern - and I'm too lazy to be changing the water in a birdbath every day! I change the water in the dogs' outdoor bowl on the back porch everyday.

A couple of other ideas for Mary's grotto - I gather it will be in a somewhat shady/wooded location. I wonder if it is possible to site it somewhere where the canopy is open above it to allow shafts of light to strike it - both for effect and to allow planting of things that need a bit more light. Someone suggested a vine to climb over it and that made me think that the perfect one, if light and space permitted, would be 'virgin's bower' clematis!

The Queen Elizabeth rose in the driveway border has grown very tall lately and is putting out its late summer flowers. Last year it bloomed into November. It never seems to be bothered by any diseases or pests and has been very hardy for me so far - it's 3-4 years old (I can't remember exactly when I planted it...) If anyone is looking for a tough, healthy rose, this one would be good to try.
    {{gwi:180653}}

I commented earlier when I posted heptacodium pictures that it is planted close against the cedar (because I didn't want to have it take up too much space in the bed - bad of me I know....!) As I said, it is totally flat on the side against the cedar but the main viewing points are in the other direction (you can see it in the background in the QE rose picture...) Here's a view that shows the back - its odd growth pattern may eventually mean that the weight of south the branches pull it down but, until then, I like it where it is!
    {{gwi:180657}}

This picture is for Julie - she wasn't sure what pasqueflower foliage looks like at this point in the year:
    {{gwi:180661}}

And this picture is for PM2 who I think earlier in the year was debating the merits of cutting back Silver Mound artemesia...? I cut mine back regularly (should have done it again a few weeks ago but forgot, so it's a bit too tall...) I use SM as part of the edging in the front bed:
    {{gwi:180663}}

Sorry to slow things down with too many pictures - I'd better go work outside and stay out of trouble on the computer!

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bought plants today but no groceries. I have my priorities. Looks like lunch will be tapenade on crackers since thats about all I have left in the house at this point. I finally switched out the plants in the container arrangement I didnt like. Now I like it again ! I took a before pic and will take an after when the suns not so bright later today.

Ei, I really must say those birdbaths are just fabu-fabu ! So creative. You are on for Bird-Baths 101 at Idyll summer camp.

Drema, nice to such a nice long post from you I have several scented geraniums and though I keep them out all winter, most of them die back to the ground and I have lost them in the past even in our mild winters here. I always take cuttings from all of them just in case and keep them inside over the winter. I usually end up giving a few away every year. Ive had luck rooting them in water. I have a couple that are in small pots and I bring the whole plant in and site in a sunny window.

Back later

Kathy in Napa

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Hello to everyone!

What a perfect day it was out there today! It was so great for working in the garden, that we spent more time out there then usual and I can feel it already. I wish I had more energy and I would have stayed out there the rest of the day. I remember waiting too late last fall to get the garden work done and working out there in the cold and I'm getting too old for that, so this year, I am determined to get things done when it is comfortable working weather.

Julie...that is a great recipe for getting the containers 'critter free' to come in the house. I hate to admit it but I don't use anything at all, but a nice strong stream of water and a good soaking. So far, I have gotten lucky. I am so happy this year that I only have a half dozen plants to bring in. I cut way back last year. Two large asparagus ferns, two Boston ferns that look gorgeous after a summer outdoors, a begonia and a Hoya. The Hoya hated the summer outdoors and looks awful. I think it has to be from all the rain. That's it and a few cuttings of my one coleus and I will be done with that job. Yippee!!

Who said they had a hundred containers this year? Michelle, was that you? I also cut back from about 25 outdoor containers last year to six this year. I really did not miss them. I put the six where they would have the most impact. We definitely didn't miss the work. We are concentrating on making the garden as full of bloom and interest as much of the year as possible instead of so many containers. That doesn't include two large containers that I am filling with year round plants and two large whiskey barrels that I hope to do the same thing to.

Woody...that was a really funny story about the dog and the paint. I can't imagine the work of getting the paint up though. Your poor friend. [g]

It was 40 degrees on the back porch early this morning Kathy...how come we are having similar temps to you? I thought you would be warmer.

Martie....I am missing your more frequent posts since you started back to work. :-(

Congratulations on your work review, Sue!! Always nice to know where you stand with the new boss. :-)

Chelone....you were certainly in rare form this morning, as my mother used to say. :-)

Drema....I am very interested in the soap that you and DD are making. I actually bought a very large bar of organic soap that was on sale at Marshall's of all places and put it in my DD's Christmas stocking. She reminded me she prefers liquid soap in the shower, so she declined it. I usually use Ivory but I put the huge bar of soap in the shower and it sat there for two months with no one using it. So I finally broke down and decided I better give it a try. Well....this is the best bar of soap I have ever used in my whole life! lol I could kick myself, because I threw out the box and I don't remember who made it or where I can get another one. I am pretty sure it was oatmeal, calendula. It lasts so long! I lather a face cloth once and it lasts me the whole shower unlike my Ivory. It also rinses off really well. Nice fragrance, but not artificial which I am very sensitive to. I was almost thinking about trying to make my own.....how hard is it?

Ei....really one of a kind Bird Baths, you have there! My favorite is the red one. What is that in the middle of it? Did you do the piercing and is that copper? The blue one...could that be a lamp base and a ceiling light globe? Very ingenious. Lucky birds! I am in need of two more bird baths, but I am not that creative. I bought a ceramic pot saucer and put it on top of an old bird bath bottom, that's as good as it gets. :-)

Oh... and I am planning on buying Lemon Wave Hydrangea in the fall for a shady corner. I really don't even care if it blooms, I love those leaves!

Woody...thanks for remembering me with your photo of Silver Mound Artemesia. I did actually cut mine back a few weeks ago and I have nice fresh little mounds. I really love the fluffy soft silvery mounds, but I do like them best when kept short. They start flopping and opening up on me even in the sun, when they get taller.

Idyll camp....sleeping bags and tents?

Well....I could have gone on for another half hour, but a long enough post. Love to see everyone posting and find all the comings and goings very fascinating. Missing everyone who cannot post right now.

That's the end of Saturday here. :-)
    pm2

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Today was fun! I am beat, though. I was telling SunnyD, my lovely assistant, that I've never worked so fast at making 'tufa! I was able to teach 8 people in one hour, though! It was a great fair. Next year I will do leaf casting....I've already thought out my supplies....

Drema, my neighbor makes soaps, and everyone swears by them once they use them! I love the shop on Practical Magic - I would shop there! I will ask my neighbor about some of her recipes....she likes to share :) She's got some great knowlege about herbs and their uses, too.

Kathy, I'm having a little eggplant spread to go with your tapenade :)

Ei, I want one of your birdbaths....I am still too afraid to try your table painting technique :) Some projects cause me mental block....but I want to try!

I'm going to curl up with a blanket and veg out. I am physically zapped. I'm already planning a New England Tufa session, though :)

Saucy

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Ei, I love your birdbaths! I want some pics of them with birds in them. :-) My Bald Cypress is still just a baby.It is only about 8 feet tall, and very skimpy. It is in standing water only after heavy rains. It had more than usual this year. The Clethra is one I got from Vernon Barnes, and was unnamed. It has white blooms. It's leaves have turned a nice purplish color this late summer.

We had an unscheduled mad dash to town this afternoon. Nolon decided his hole at the water line was dry enough to install the new pressure regulator. He was attemting to do so while I was taking my afternoon nap. When I woke up he was coming to the house from the mailbox with the mail. I stepped out the door to inquire how the installation was going, and was asked to take him to the local hardware store. The waterline had sprung a leak in the metal pipe that connected the regulator with the plastic water line! Well, we got to the local store and it was closed! Nolon seemed to be at a loss as to what to do. I said get in the car, we will go to town. (It's about 20 miles farther to town, but we sure did not want to be out of water until Monday!) In town, the hardware store that we wanted to patronize was also closed ! Sooooo, on to Ace Hardware, where he got the parts, for at least twice the price, plus all the gasoline it took to go to town ! But, there is plenty to be thankful for.... Espacially the fact that the hole in the line showed up while it was dug out, and not after Nolon had the deep large hole all filled back in ! Needless to say, Nolon is pooped. I suspect he will retire early tonight.

Chelone, I have gobs of those light blue old fashioned iris. They are much more dependable than most of the modern ones. I have thrown excess tubers into the edge of the woods, and they grew and bloomed, with very little sunlight.

Julie, thinks for the recipe for the spray that you use on your plants before bringing them in. I have copied it down and will get some insecticidal soap when I go to town next week. I am not even as careful as Pm2. I 'may' spray mine with a house and garden spray, but am more likely to do nothing before bringing them in. I 'do' bring in problems. :-(
    I haven't counted the containers that I will be bringing in, but I suspect it is close to 100....well, maybe not, but I have a lot that never went out. I have more than that outside, but a lot are hardy things waiting to be planted into the ground. I am going to 'try' to not bring as many in as I usually do. That will work better if we have a killing frost as soon as I get the main ones that I want to keep inside. ;-)

Woody, how nice that you have those lovely roses in bloom. No evidence of any fall blooms on any of mine....and very few leaves. :-(

Saucy, I keep meaning to tell you....you look fine in the tailgate pic. I am sure you are standing higher that the others. You are 'not' that big. :-) Your tufa lessons sound like all had a good time.

Okay...I am running out of grey matter...ttyal.

Marian

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Excellent to read of Saucys Tufa Triumph, with Sunny D providing essential support services. Saucy, if you decide to try the leaf castings I insist on full photo-documentation. One does pine after the pricey Little and Lewis creations. Oh but for a Gunnera leaf birdbath !

PM , we do not usually get 40ish degree nights in Sept and in fact the grape harvest is in full swing and the more heat the better- the red varietals love heat to ripen fully. We are having a pretty mild spell right now, which is ok by me , but the vineyard managers are probably wishing for higher temps.

Woody, I had a QE rose when I lived in San Diego, really loved it. For some reason I never did put one in when I moved up here.

I counted my containers..86 ! Way more than I expected! I did not count the holding area where I have stuff I dug up for potential transportation the new garden, nor did I count the Cymbidiums. I guess Im just as bad as the rest of you , lol !

Im going to whip up some veggies with some pesto and throw it on top of some raviolis. Then Im going to watch some baseball cuz V s team has clinched and I dont want to be too far behind.

Waves to all

Kathy in Napa

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

I guess I am the only one with that few outdoor containers. Marian, I was surprised at how many you have too!

Marian....Poor Nolon...so glad he was able to finally get it fixed. Isn't it always the way that something breaks when the stores are closed. Glad you were finally able to find one open. That would have been awful if you would have had to wait until the next day.

Kathy....so you have already potted up a lot for your move? Has there been any activity on the house front? Waiting for the before/after pics on that container. :-)

Saucy....do you have any photos of the Tuffa pots you worked on? I am surprised you could create them in an hour?!

Drema....I forgot to say that I used to keep Scented Geraniums in the house all winter. They seemed to do fine for me. I wish I had a South facing exposure and I would bring more in for the winter. I never had much luck getting a cutting started from them, but the original plant made it through quite a few winters.

Woody....I love your Queen Elizabeth! What huge flowers and nice long stems to bring in for a vase!

Ei...I was looking at your red bird bath again...I love the red glass pieces in it...but at first I thought the basin was 'pierced' but of course, it couldn't be....lol. How did you get that effect and hold water?

pm2

• Full_Bloom
    15 years ago

Good Morning Idylls! Up at the crack of dawn, actually before the crack of dawn...it's still dark out.

You guys give me too much credit...LOL...but Thanks! :-) The birdbaths are almost embarrassingly easy; really! It's basically the same principal as you have done with your birdbath PM2...a top and a base, whatever you choose. I didn't do anything to the bowls themselves (they came pierced/designed) from the clearance shelves at the Maxx. They were $12.99 or less. The large candleholders to place them on were also from the Maxx (under $10.00) and I did paint those to match the bowls (using paint we already had) and then sealed them with an outdoor waterproof sealant that we also had down in the basement. The only one I did anything to really was the purple one and I used some of my jewelry making beads to embellish that one...my idea was to kind of make it look like a chandelier. There is a flaw in the design of the birdbaths though...I epoxyed the bowls directly onto the candle holders. I know there is a better way to do it than that... and I'm sure one of you smart Idylls will figure it out (hint...hint)! I wish I had come up with a way to use something epoxyed to the bowl and then to the candleholder that would allow you to take the bowl off the candle holder when it's time to put them in storage. With the way I've done it I'll have to store them as a whole piece...not very practical. So does anybody have any ideas? DH says I can remove the epoxy that is on them now if I want to change it, but I haven't come up with a clever solution yet. I'm on the hunt for a peach bowl now to make a birdbath for the peach and pink garden. :-) BTW, the glass beads at the bottom of the bowls are called glass gems. I use them in my fish bowl and for holding dried flowers in glass vases. I put them in the birdbaths because I was afraid that the water would be too deep for the birds otherwise. They really don't like to be in water more than 2 inches deep. I'll try to get a picture of them at the birdbath Marian. :-) Probably a long distance shot as they are still a little skittish about the new baths!

Boy Nolon is a very handy man; isn't he! :-) My dad was like that, could fix anything...make anything and all self taught...he was brilliant! My dad is the man I admire most in the world (please don't tell the DH...LOL). Although I have to say Paul is very handy too! :-) Anyway, sorry that you guys had so much trouble finding something open. I know what you mean about having a store you like to patronize. Out here there are only Home Depots, Menards, and Aces, etc. No "pop-type" hardware stores....I really miss that...they were always so helpful and I loved the sights and smells! I blame myself as much as anyone that they are out of business. I should have *never* started patronizing the big guys...:-( I fear we've chosen convenience over quality! P.S. Marian...where are your Clethras located? I was hoping you could give me a few tips! :-) Are they in shade/sun a dry area/a moist area? I'm trying to figure out how to make mine happier...LOL!

Oh PM2...another thing I forgot to say yesterday was how pretty your basket turned out. I was wondering if your torenia is one of the "wave" ones? I think those are the cascaders vs. regular torenia which is more upright?

Woody...the rose is gorgeous! Brilliant idea about "the light shining thru" suggestion for Mary. I can see the effect. I never can remember the name of Heptacodium...I think yours looks great! I planted one a couple of years ago and it was so tiny...I was afraid it wouldn't make it....boy was *I* fooled. I didn't know they could get so big and wide spreading. I think you were smart to plan yours that way. Mine is at the back end of the east side of my garden so so far it's working cause it give me privacy but with the spread it almost touches the arborvitea and lilac that are on either side of it. Eventually I'm definitely going to have to do some pruning.

I can't get over all the containers you guys do...I'm definitely not up to snuff...LOL! But you all did have me wondering, so I went out and counted. I have 2 hanging baskets and then 21 containers. I don't count the rose standard containers cause I don't really do anything to them. :-) If they count then I have 24. This year the only thing I'm saving out of my containers are coleus, 3 fucshias, 1 mandevilla vine and a couple of houseplants.

Saucy...I'd love to come to one your classes too. Hey, if you can do hypertufa (which I think is challenging) then the table would be a snap for you! :-)

Kathy...I'd love to see a gunnera leaf birdbath too! That would be so cool. Do you grow gunnera? I was wowed by the size and substance of those plants when I was visiting a garden in England, but fear I don't have the space or the right conditions to do them justice in my garden.

Well, I best be off...the Morning has Broken...

Morning has broken, like the first morning
    Blackbird has spoken, like the first bird
    Praise for the singing, praise for the morning
    Praise for the springing fresh from the world

Sweet the rain's new fall, sunlit from heaven
    Like the first dewfall, on the first grass
    Praise for the sweetness of the wet garden
    Sprung in completeness where his feet pass

Mine is the sunlight, mine is the morning
    Born of the one light, eden saw play
    Praise with elation, praise every morning
    God's recreation of the new day

Have a great day all...Ei

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Ei - I love that song! On sunny mornings when I'm walking Misty early, that song runs through my head...

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

I am so excited to find other soap lovers!
    Here is my favorite site for all things soap:

Miller's Handmade Soaps

Her directions are very good. She has information on essential oils and fragrance oils. I love to use lavender and herbs. There is a lavender farm close by. It is a wonderful place to visit. :)

My current favorite is all-vegetable soap from her site called "Sweet Grass and Clary Sage Soap (Kathy Miller)". I like this with Pear Glace FO or Lavender EO. The recipe is on this page:

Sudsy Vegetable Oil Soaps

I am still learning and have not tried them all.

Molding glycerin soap is fun too. It is great for dry winter skin, easy to use, and versatile!

A chart on the Miller site shows the SAP properties of different oils. I want to try to make a good soap with Sesame Oil. It is ancient Indian healing oil.

Even the non-soap Idylls should check out the site. She shows pictures of her gardens in the pacific northwest.

Jerri

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Ei...thanks for the directions on how to put one of those birdbaths together. I will have to look around and see what they have in the stores. I can see where you felt you needed to attach the bowls to the base. Since my bases are cement, I seem to manage to just sit the top on the base. I wish I could think of another solution for you. I am wondering if caulk would do the trick and be more easily removed at the end of the season. I am ignorant about how well it would actually hold it together. I have also added the glass beads to one birdbath, but I have two that are deep pot saucers and the larger birds love to jump in there and put their heads under water and have a good ole' time.

Glad you liked my basket, Ei...and yes the torenia was a 'Blue Wave' I think I had three or four plugs of it that cost me .55 each in the spring.

pm2