Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunday afternoon at the sculpture/rose garden at RBG

Posted by woodyoak 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 07 at 19:51

It was a lovely sunny day today so we went to the Royal Botanical Gardens to check out the sculptures in the rose garden. The Zimsculpt group was back in the garden this month. They’re a group of sculptors from Zimbabwe and we really like their stuff. They were there last year too. Here are some pictures from the garden:

A pretty display of annuals in the raised beds by the teahouse attracted Randy:

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

The espaliers along the pergola path showed off well today.:

A sculptor at work:

Some of the pieces on display:

I wouldn’t mid having this one in the garden:

This one was there last year too. I wonder if RBG is going to add it to the garden permanently maybe:

A bum shot…:-)

This one was life sized and very dramatic �" only the top half is in this picture unfortunately:

There were roses too:

We all enjoyed the day �" Misty especially likes it when she gets to come with us and gets lets of attention because she’s so cute!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunday afternoon at the sculpture/rose garden at RBG

What a perfect day for an outing. Zimsculpt looks most intriguing...but I was stuck here weeding and watering. I like several of the sculptures very much! The one of the mother carrying her baby on her back reminds me of Nigerian wood carvings.

I spoke to the tree pruner today. We were talking about espaliered apple trees. All our old fruit trees will be cut down except for one apple. Sad, but necessary. :( Those few extra degrees between here and RBG make an enormous difference. If I had staff (hahahaha) I'd certainly give espaliered fruit a try here!

Hi Misty! Thanks for the tour.
'bug

o

I am partial to the Partride Family :)

I would have liked to have gone on the tour! Thank you for sharing.

Saucy

o

PaHtridge Family... lol, you're a riot, Saucy.

It sure seems to have been a lovely day at RBG. I love the sculptures, do they use two sorts of rock to achieve the colors or do they treat the bodies with some sort of acid wash to achieve it?

I love espaliers. Esp. the "Belian Fence", where they use several of the forms in the Woody's first shot to achieve a fence or screen. I have a neat book on espalier (purchased on my only trip abroad, to France) that I periodically haul out and pore over carefully (it's in French).

Great shot of Misty, too.

o

Lovely photographs of beautiful sculptures and gardens! I certainly could find a place here in the gardens for one of those.

I especially love the first shot with the silver dusty miller with the color in the BG. Superb! Thanks for sharing your day.

That Misty is pretty darned cute and she looks like she had a great day too.

Deanne

o

Thanks for taking us along!! Martie

o

Very interesting, but for my yard I'll stick with the more natural. Great pics.... and a very cute Misty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here