14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Happy birthday Wendy!

{{gwi:181332}}

V.

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Well TGI Saturday! Friday was the day that things hit the fan at the awffice. There was a overall rather minor incident when I was trying to print checks on a shared printer in the office, but it was the final straw in the ongoing struggle of working with two other difficult people. I went to my boss's office and confessed that I had lost my temper over the incident. I had been keeping my mouth shut with my gripes about these two, but when my boss told me to pull up a chair and tell him what I thought of them because they were making him nuts, well . . .

So the good news is that I am in alone in my opinion of these two, and things may be changing. It's a shame because we seem to have struggled to get the right person in the one position, but it's also no fun to work with the wrong person in that position. We'll see what happens!

This morning I'm off to my son's house to help paint pickets for the new fence they are building. This evening, we are going to an art show to benefit a local land conservation group. There is a photography contest that is part of the show, and yours truly entered it. It will be fun to see my photos displayed in a gallery setting! I'm not hopeful on the contest results because I was not very happy with the light the day I had to take the photos. In the contest, you were assigned to a specific site and had to coordinate a visit with the owners. They unfortunately got hit with a bad case of flu or food poisoning so we were running out of time and I had to deal with a bright summer afternoon. But I think the show will be lots of fun!

Well, it's 7:38 and DH the slave driver thinks I'm lollygagging so I'll sign off for now.

V.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

{{gwi:181335}}

{{gwi:181338}}

V- sounds like a fun day at the awfice yesterday...! The photo contest sounds fun - show us the picture...?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Julie,

No fun. Don't know what year your DS is in in school, but I had similar issues with my son. Sounds like you are doing everything right. As a special ed teacher, one thing I always try to remember with my defiant, non-performing kiddoes is that no matter how bad they make things for me, they are hurting more. It is easier to refuse to do the work than to fail after trying. It's exhausting, isn't it? Hang in there and be sure to take care of yourself, too!

Cynthia

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Happy Birthday Wendy! I was thinking that someone shared my day. Hope you are having a great day.

Norma

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes and beautiful picture cards.

Woody I like your red hibiscus and the glimpse of the bench through the arbor.Your flowering shrubs are awesome.

V, nothing I like better than blue sky and wildflowers.

Bug are those anemones or mums? Beautiful either way.

Saucy , Coleus, or something more exotic? The pink stems are throwing me.

And Kathy, where did you find daylilys by water? Oh I see it's an IU6 shot. Nice.

I'm a bit bummed about more than my age today. My friend with leukemia is in bad shape doesn't look good.

Pm, happy to hear that your DH is on the mend. I think the infections and not the leukemia is what is taking my friend.

It has been raining again all morning, but the sun is shining now. I'm more than ready to share some rain with the rest of you that need it.

Later Norma

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Guess who is at my house? Photographic evidence to follow!

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Chelone?

• saucydog
    14 years ago

{{gwi:181341}}

GB's son came by our house to look at buying our canoe! We had plenty of dinner (my favorite: flank steak, corn tortillas, and all the fixings!) so we asked him to stay. We talked about laptops for children, and canoes, and just good stuff in general! What a nice time we had, and he ended up purchasing the canoe!

I really cherish the little group that we have here, and it was fun to have one of you touch my life tonight in real life.

Norma, Chelone has been on my mind a lot lately.

I've had a nice day. I'm going to curl up with my Butter Pecan ice cream and get ready for bed :)

Saucy

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hot weather for the weekend here, cooling down of course on Monday when I return to the awfice.
    More asters were tossed into the yard waste today , and the Lady Banks trimming project continued. Tomorrow Im going to wade into the floppy Rudbeckia mess- this is R. fulgida, a Goldstrum I imagine-Ive had it (now them ) since the mid 90s I think, and Im hoiking it this year to replace it with one of the more polite R. hirta cultivars . The thing has spread like crazy and grown into areas where too much shade is creating pronounced flop. Also dug up the ancient Lavender that was becoming a woody-eyesore and planted a nice new L. angustifolia Blue River in its place.

Julie, sorry to hear that TCS is being such a pill, hope he makes good on his promise to be nice for a few days !

Norma, that Daylily photo was indeed from IU, taken at the Maine Coast Botanical Garden. They had a wonderful water course with lots of perspectives and changing levels.

Will there be a photo of the V. photo in the gallery ? I have signed up for a one night class at the college here in October on Getting More From Your Digital Camera" and then a week later there is another class specifically for DSLRs. .

Saucy, how fun to have visit from bugs DS .

All for me tonight, time for some dinner , and baseball.

Kathy in Napa

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Morning all,

NO time as I'm teaching this weekend and have to run and prepare for class. I just wanted to wish all the best to our Birthday girls, Wendy and Norma!!! Cards to follow tomorrow when I have a bit more time.

Have a great day all
    Deanne

• chelone
    14 years ago

I've been idylly reading along, alternately smiling, nodding, chuckling but not really able to muster much enthusiasm for contributing. It's been a busy week and my ability to concentrate on things has really taken a hit of late.

PM, I'm relieved to learn DH is home after his ordeal. The finest health care in the world and MRSA infection rate of hospitals is not posted by the doors for all to read... I wonder why? esp. since its spread has increased markedly and the simplest methods of prevention are too often overlooked entirely by medical professionals. I can only imagine how terribly worried you were about him. As the helpmeet says, "why would I want to go to a hospital, that's where all the germs are!".

And Woody. You've been on my mind since you first shared your present worry with us. I'm sure the passage of days seems glacial and the nagging worry sometimes incapcitating. That you remain as upbeat and positive as you do astonishes me. And inspires me by putting life's vicissitudes in proper perspective. I've enjoyed your photo essays, BTW. And I note that the Wrecking Crew will be back for a reprise of Heartbreak Ridge next weekend.

Yes, Norma, I lost a friend to suicide in 1993 and it forever changed the way I look at this thing we call life. As PM pointed out sometimes there are no difinitive answers and the road to reconciling such a death requires much stumbling and the occasion long crawl. I had hoped I would never have to revisit such a sad stretch of trail but that's not the case. The two friends in question were my best friends in HS, we were always laughing, joking, doing fun things. That both attempted to contact me before making the fatal decision has weighed heavily on me and will continue to do so for the rest of my life, but that's only because I loved them and still can't quite believe I'm now the only keeper of those fun memories. It will be OK because it has to be OK or else there is no point in lacing up my boots for another day. And there's too much to enjoy to waste a life marinating in sadness. But grieving is vastly under rated, and making the time to do it is what teaches us how to efficiently pack such sad experiences into the luggage of life.

Yesterday would have been one of those friend's 50th. birthday. I'm pleased to learn that he shared the day with both Norma and Wendy. And what a beautiful day it was here. Crystal blue sky, mid 60s, light breeze. I trust you both enjoyed your birthdays thoroughly. If there was cake involved I'd certainly like to hear the details.

Julie, is TCS making good on his promise to mind his Ps and Qs? There must be an awful lot going on inside his little head to bring out such revolt. But he'll be OK and gradually all the garbage that's weighing him down and making him unhappy will come out. He just doesn't have the experience to identify what's getting him down just yet. Let's face it, "grown ups" do the same sorts of things when something is bothering them. I particularly enjoyed Cyn427's response, though I still think you should increase the frequency of beatings. ;). I laughed at the description of the angel family dynamics... . It will be fun to hear more about your room project and I like the blush ceiling color very much. I've managed to get past the messy stage, all the wall work and drywall has been sanded and cleaned up and I have only a little bit left to prime before applying the final color.

I've been using the JulieJob concept to keep myself on an even keel. The bathroom project is an example. I've also been putting in some much needed time in the gardens. I've cut down the terrace gardens and New Dawn is even looking respectable, Kathy (if you overlook the whiteflies, lol). I've weeded the area out by the road and trimmed up the blueberries (which are turning red and look smashing). Need your thoughts on Clethra "Ruby Spice"; mine is decidedly "open" and looking scraggly, in no way an effective screen for anything. Would it fill in/flesh out if I pruned it hard in the springtime? I'm thinking seriously of simply shovel pruning it and replacing it with a fragrant Viburnum. I've never been wild about it and Kathy and V.'s list of garden successes and failures has me eyeing it with a potentially lethal outcome. Today is rainy and I'm glad of it since it's been very dry for some weeks now. I'd like to be weeding some more, but the weather is providing the perfect opportunity to get going on a slipcover that's on my work bench.

I'll try to be a better correspondent, but I'd better cut this short for now. Waving to all.

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Waving back!

Typing is hard because several hours of priming pickets for DS's new fence left two fingers a little numb. Since my DIL has a numb finger also, I'm not too concerned at the moment.

The art exhibit last night was wonderful and a lot of fun. No photo - I thought about taking my camera and decided that it would get in the way. Then, of course, I was kicking myself because the renovated factory/gallery space had all sorts of interesting possibilities. We bought some small things and I will try to take some pictures of our purchases later. Two small highlights for me were shortly after we walked in the door and my son and his wife looked around and said, "Who needs Chicago?", and the fact that they were inspired to join the group and want to get involved as volunteers.

Julie, I hope that things level out for TCS.

Time to get rolling on this day!

V.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

I leave in a few minutes for Stratford Ontario where we will be seeing The Three Sisters, one of those Chekhov plays that I find depressing, but that the reviewers praise. We shall see.

Well Chelone! So good to have you join us when you are up to it! Your mix of tears and laughter and accompanying commentary is so welcome. Such is life!

Julie, I'm so sorry that you must go through the parenting issues a second time! You deserve to be traveling with DH in far off places at this stage, but then, TCS does bring his joys too. I hope that happens sooner than later!!! I so hope that DS conquers the smoking habit. His choice of course...

Saucy, I too guessed Chelone. Never crossed my mind that it could be my canoe guy!!! That now makes 3 Idylls who have fed my son: Mary, Chelone and now YOU! I hope he met Sarah and Jake too. What great connections we have made through our group!

More to comment on: Deanne's course, V's weekend, and much much more, but I have to leave now. Later!

Nice to hear from Marian on Woody's thread!
    'bug

• saucydog
    14 years ago

GB, my husband can't stop talking about how he lifted that 80 lb canoe up and over his head and carried it away...he made quite an impression. It is a good canoe and will serve him well :)

I'm glad to hear from you, Chelone. I'm planning on some Julie Jobs myself! Time to reorganize the bedroom and get it ready for the cooler weather. I'm thinking of getting myself a new comforter for a job well done. A mini makeover.

V. the evening sounds like fun! I'm having the same problem with my camera - we need small "pocket" cameras for such occasions.

I'd better go get started. I slept in today, which was so nice, but now I feel behind :)

Saucy

• flowerluvr
    14 years ago

No time for much of a post this morning. We are in St. Ignace, MI. I thought I'd have my morning coffee with you all, and see what you're up to. Lol, by the time I got side-tracked with pics...well, let's just say I'm all that's standing between Jim and his breakfast, lol! Time to dry my hair and start moving around a bit. Right now, he's distracted with watching G.I. Jane, but even Demi Moore can't take his mind off a Java Joe's breakfast for long, lol!
    Today is supposed to be rainy and nasty, so I'll probably have lots of pool and computer time.
    Brenda

PS. We found out yesterday that we have a grandson on the way. His name will be Jude Harrison. Lol, Mom and Dad are both Beatles fans. Granny and Gramps each picked out a t-shirt for the little guy on Mackinaw Island, and walked around with goofy grins most of the day. I can't get home soon enough-there's a dvd of the sonogram. Word is, it's VERY cool!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Belated Birthday Wishes Norma! :-)

{{gwi:181345}}

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

And to you Wendy... Happy Birthday!

{{gwi:181350}}

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Finally some rain this morning! Look at the time, I've been looking at photos all morning and now I have to run. I think I will have a chance later to come back. Good to see a post from Chelone and hope to hear more about how Marie's son bought Saucy's canoe. [g]

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Observing this morning that bedraggled garden beds are becoming the rule rather than the exception- and remarkably it will be October in a few days , the latter part of which can be the occasion of our first frost and our first real rain. Overnight temps are starting now to dip into the high 40s. Time to start rigging up a frost protection hut for the succulents.

So nice to see you this morning Chelone, and the report on the embattled New Dawn is encouraging. I admired the Cletheras I saw out in your neck of the woods last summer , but they are wildly unsuited to my dry conditions here- perhaps yours just needs a re-positioning ? Have we heard what the selected wall color is for the loo ? I am also pondering if winter at the Compound this year will find you in the Salon re-upholstering one of those fabulous chairs youve been collecting.

OK, time to eat a bagel and deadhead the waning ZinniasMore later.

Kathy in Napa

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Happy Birthday Norma
    {{gwi:181359}}

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Happy Birthday Wendy
    {{gwi:181365}}

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Hello Idylls

I hope both birthday ladies had fun celebrating.

Great to hear news from so many and to see Saucy's DH and GB's son smiling together. Thinking about members of our group and their relatives meeting up is so much fun.

Chelone - it must have been a hard couple of weeks dealing with all those emotions. I love the idea of Julie Jobs as therapy:0)

Julie - transitions can be hard so keep up all your good work with TCS and don't loose the faith. Despite a rocky start I'm sure with your perseverance things will improve.

Today we are getting some much needed rain and sorting summer/winter clothes and laundry is the order of the day. I'm holed up in the basement with NPR for company and mountains (I do mean mountains) of clothes.

Yesterday I rigged a light in the henhouse to ensure enough daylight to keep the girls laying. I hadn't realized how big an effect day length had on egg production, and we are enjoying our daily eggs far too much to have them disappear. The light goes on at 6 AM for an hour and I will adjust it earlier as the days shorten. Apparantly 14 hours is ideal. The chicks are finally enjoying their new quarters, roosting on the top perches and laying in the nesting boxes just as I hoped.

We too were at the theatre last night - this year I splurged for season tickets the for same series as some very good friends. We have the double pleasure of visiting together while enjoying the plays. For a regional theatre we are lucky to have some excellent productions. Last night we saw a comedy "Souvenir" about the singer Francis Jenkins, a phenonom in the 40's and 50's who achieved tremendous fame but who couldn't actually hold a tune. While there were plenty of laughs, there was also surprisingly appealing story of two people finding friendship.

Well, my Julie Job awaits so I'll wave to all I've missed and hope to be back before day ends.

Mary

• denisez10
    14 years ago
  • gardenbug
    14 years ago

YEAH! Brenda's going to be a Granny!

Lovely photos here...Birthdays are a fun time here.

Off to bed,
    'bug

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Happy Birthday NOrma
    {{gwi:181370}}

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Happy Birthday Wendy
    {{gwi:181371}}

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thinking about my trip to the coast week after next ; the staging area has been opened and the first item was my trusty aloha print backpack and second was the camera battery charger and x-tra battery. Also included the Sunday crossword from the Chronicle. I will stockpile them for the trip. Many fond memories of doing the Sunday crossword with my BILs when they were Mendocino-ians.

Have taken note of Denises fancy b-day card upgrade, with the frame action and the text right on the photo .. pondering the daylight in the henhouse and wondering if they will spend the winter huddled inside, cranking out eggs as long as the lights stay on, envisioning Mary peeking out from behind a pile of parkas, and glad to see that PM is returning to her posting routine-Chelone cant be far behind.

But we lost Cindy again. Yoo hoo Cindy ?

Here is a container grouping from today with a bit of fall leaf debris

{{gwi:181372}}

Another group of containers

{{gwi:181378}}

My Iochroma is about 6 ft nowI wonder what winter will bring ?

{{gwi:181379}}

{{gwi:181380}}

Goodnight !

Kathy in Napa

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

I started a post a couple of times yesterday, but, here I am this morning at least. Good morning! :-)

What a nice quiet day we had yesterday. It rained off and on but not amounting to more than an inch or so. DH is doing well and making progress but still lacking energy. No plans for a return to work today but maybe a half day on Tuesday. It has been an eye opening experience for all of us. I didn't realize that a lot of the antibiotic resistance is thought to be attributed in large part to the practice of giving routine preventative antibiotics to chickens and cows raised for meat. What is scary to me is that those working in infection control at two hospitals involved with us, seem to try to sell it as 'these bugs are everywhere'. The Department of Public Health on the other hand, are much more concerned with figuring out where someone picked them up. I hope they will be investigating further. These particular bacteria have developed the ability to produce enzymes that defeat most antibiotics used. The lesson learned for us, like Chelone's helpmeet, is to stay healthy and out of the hospital. We are definitely more focused on that as a goal this winter.

On the gardening front, I had planned on finishing up my Long Border in September to have it all ready to go for the spring, but, the best laid plans of mice and men... We will still get some of it done and some will wait for the spring. I do have all my houseplants back in the house for the winter though. Happy that I cut back this year. I only had six plants to repot and bring in. I thought of Deanne as I was doing it and still cannot fathom how much work she does to bring all hers in.

Congratulations Brenda!! How exciting, another Idyll grandbaby?! And they already have the name chosen..lol. I imagine we have quite a wait, when is the due date?

Kathy that Iochroma is gorgeous! Are you going to leave your succulents out all winter? What is your next planned trip? Can't believe your Lady Banks is creating havoc, not very ladylike. [g]

Norma, so sorry to hear about your friend with leukemia. I don't know much about leukemia, or what kind of treatment they received, but if they receive some kind of chemo, I imagine it knocks out the immune system and yes, the infections must be very difficult to recover from. Are the doctors indicating it doesn't look good?

Chelone...There is something particularly hard about losing your 'best friends' from high school. Like you said, no one left to share those particular memories with you. High School is such an intense time in life and the friends you make are some of the closest you ever have. Very sad. Did they have kids? ..... I have Clethra 'Hummingbird' and love it. I also bought a Clethra 'Sherry Sue' last year, which the jury is still out on. I do use the 'Hummingbird' as a screen for a large compost bin and it is not quite high enough yet, but it is dense and good looking. I did prune it one year, I seem to remember. If you decide it doesn't work as a screen where you have it, I would encourage you to give it another try somewhere else.

Julie.... You certainly have your hands full. Like Cynthia, I had similar issues with one of our children. My sympathies for you both. I read lots of books and got a little something from some of them. One that helped me to understand my child better and to examine the way I was responding, was 'The Explosive Child'. I didn't think the title fit my child, but the author had lots of insight into child/parent struggles that helped. It might be at the library? I hope you can quickly get past this latest chapter.

Saucy and Marie....how special that you have had a surprise connection with the canoe purchase. That was fun to hear about. Gee, we have seen a few photos of GB's son over the summer. Like 'Where's Waldo' you never know where he is going to pop up...lol. It makes me think, wouldn't it be great if we had a reunion that included children one year?

V....what a break to learn the boss is understanding how you feel about your co-workers. You will get the right person for the position sooner or later.

Denise...have you any photos of your finished bathroom? How is your Dad doing? And how is the 'downsizing' going?

Mary....I am about to stock up on bird seed soon and it got me thinking of how much it costs for you to feed your chickens vs how many eggs you receive. :-)

Deanne must be busy busy with fall chores and painting.

Woody, you have a lot blooming still!

Marie, I would love to hear more about DD's course. Especially about the lighting and cleaning products.

That's that. Time to get moving... :-)

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Hi all, More lovely Birthday pictures and thoughts. I was going to try a more responsive post but no time right now. My friend Mike lost his battle yesterday.(I was secretly glad it didn't happen on my birthday, but I will always remember the day anyway). I am happy to know he is not suffering anymore. We will miss him greatly as we spent a lot of time together and have lots of fun memories.
    Don't want to bring anyone down so thats all for a few days.

Take time to enjoy each day. Norma

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Dear Norma, take your time. Treasure the good memories!

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

((Norma))

• wendy2
    14 years ago

Just wanted to pop in and thank everyone for the birthday wishes - Idylls are the best!

Norma, so sorry for your loss. He is in a better place now.

Wendy

• chelone
    14 years ago

I'm sorry to learn of your friend's death Norma, but just in case I'll offer an arm around your shoulders in solidarity. It's hard to believe someone so well liked is now departed to... wherever. Guard those memories carefully because they are important. Deliver a beating or good swift kick to Rebel, it will help.

Beautiful day here and the helpmeet will be out on the bounding main this morning. My car is having a spa day so I'm "trapped", waiting for the refrigerator guy and puttering around. It all suits Rex and the pride to a tee.

I meant to tell Mary how much I've enjoyed her chicken tales, amazing how cautious birds are, isn't it? I also think your family would be a perfect place for a cage bird. Birds are very intelligent and very affectionate, esp. if hand raised. And what a drag it is that David to be kept to a walk for still more time. I'm sure it was discouraging news but by now his practical (and Rennaissance!) sensibilities are likely keeping his mind busy and soul nourished. That's a good thing.

I have to order grab bars for the shower today (don't have to leave home to get that done) and call the tree guy to address a wayward maple near power lines. Boy, more firewood!

Have enjoyed the photos but am too lazy to comment specifically. Unapologetic, too.

• saucydog
    14 years ago

I'm sad to hear of your loss, Norma. Hugs for you. Rebel looks like a great comforter, and I've already forgotten the kitten's name, but she looks like she could cheer anyone, even if it's for a moment or two.

PM, let's not get any ideas about bringing children to IUs... :) Adam and I had worked out a prelimenary plan at The Compound, it just now came to fruition.

I never did answer your question about bee stings, and I always kick myself for not: there have been no more bee stings here in my neighborhood than before we had the hive. I'm the only one who has been stung, and I deserved it :)

Saucy

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

I'm off tomorrow for a trip west where Nana duties will take over from my regular routine. Ivy has a cold and is quite unhappy about it, especially combined with teething. I hope to give DD some rest periods!

DSIL is off on business to Saskatchewan, an 8 hour drive today. He managed to complete new flooring for his Mom this weekend in her dining area and livingroom. She is thrilled! Next weekend he and DD will do their own wooden flooring.

Yesterday's theater outing was great fun. DH was at his meeting in the morning and met us at Stratford after lunch, just in time! I don;t get out as much as the others for such events, but it is good for me to occasionally get the straw out of my hair, the dirt out of my fingernails! There are some good shops in town there too. I fell for a tiny polka dot tea set for Ivy...something for 2-3 years down the road. But I know I'll have to be in charge of things pink and feminine while her Momma handles the other stuff. ;)

I will try to absorb environmental facts while I'm away to share with those who asked. Not sure how much computer time I'll have though.

Oh Saucy, Adam was a canoe guide when he was younger. He used to show off when others were watching and would portage a canoe on each shoulder! Always pushes himself. I'm sure a good meal in advance is a great help! So glad this meet-up worked out!

In the meantime, I'll post a few photos on a separate thread.

Happy trails!
    'bug

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Hmm, I thought I posted last night? Was it me or was it Gardenweb - ah well.

We took another long prairie walk yesterday, and sure enough another unusual species was discovered - the amazing half man, half dog.

{{gwi:181381}}

DH was keeping Mystic in hand while I took still more egret photos and the photo captures exactly what I saw when I walked back to them - no sign of DH's torso! Guess I'll feed the dog more in the future.

Off to my first photography class tonight. I'll fill you in on the next idyll!

V.

• jak1
    14 years ago

Happy Monday all!

Although I am sending a hug to Norma, who is not having a particularly happy Monday...my condolences on the loss of your friend, Norma.

Kathy, that Iochroma is fantastic! Likely not hardy for me though....although you said that your gardens are looking a bit bedraggled at this time of year, they look about 100 times better than mine do just now!

Our temps. are falling, with -1C (30 F) with rain and wind this week....I'll be raking and seeding the back lawn for about the tenth time since we did our backyard "renovation". Once the leaves are down in the park, and therefore on my lawn, I will do the final cut for the season, chopping up the leaves and leaving (ha, ha!) them to compost over the winter.

Gee Saucy, I'm with you - I really wouldn't want to bring DS or TCS to an Idyll Union. But DD might have and be fun. After, V's daughter was a hoot at IU VI!

And belated birthday greetings to you Norma, and to Wendy also. I apologize for being such a slacker in the photo department...Wendy, was it you who provided the delicious lemon pound cake at Chelone's? If yes, would you, or anyone else, like a recipe for a killer chocolate pound cake? It's almost the only cake I make here now.

Today I finally got the gumption to start painting the guest room. I first tried the cutting in of the ceiling without taping. Just in case anybody wants to ask the question "Can you do that?" the answer is "NO!". So now it is taped and the first cut is done. I realize that the previous owner who did the work himself would not make it as a professional drywaller. When they decided to sell this house I think they were in a hurry to finish the basement. The walls and ceilings were all painted a kind of mocha colour - a nice colour but dark for a basement, and especially on the ceilings. I surmise that maybe they didn't want to spend a lot of time or money finishing things up - hence cheap crummy quality paint, and one colour in all rooms and ceilings. As I worked I was thinking that I don't remember the huge family room being such a chore to paint - and then I also remembered that DS was on unemployment last winter and living here, and he did the family room - three coats of white on the ceiling and three coats of pale yellow on the walls - took him three weeks. I hope to be done the smaller room in two weeks.

I think I will dedicate the whole winter to this dumb basement. Especially to sorting and chucking out the boxes of stuff that we shouldn't have bothered to bring here when we moved. Never unpacked some if it.

Yes, TCS has been minding his P's and Q's as promised. He is going through a rough patch just now....getting heck at school, getting tossed from music, and his Cub troupe is not getting off the ground as there is not enough interest. So just now he has no extra-curricular activites. A good opportunity for we adults to give him a little more attention - just when he probably needs it most.

Have to sign off now - I have pickles sitting on ice in the sink and cookie dough to make before the school bus arrives in half an hour!

Have a bon voyage, Marie!

Cheers,

Julie

• denisez10
    14 years ago

Chuckling over cutting the ceiling without taping -- been there! New school years often get off to rocky starts until the routine has a chance to gel.

Mansquatch of the Prairie...Caninstein...Monstrous creature enjoys fall weather...V, that photo cries out for a caption contest.

Dear Norma, so sorry about your friend.

Hold on, Ivy, Memere is on her way...

PM, my dad is doing much better, thanks. One of the problems was that he'd been on Digoxin for years, with the ultimate toxic effect this summer of poor kidney function. Digoxin has been discontinued, meds adjusted, he's stopped accumulating fluid, dropped nearly 40 pounds (!), so it's been an amazing rebound. Just read that the MRSA is transferred from pets to people/people to pets. Very rare but possible. So keep close watch on pets' injuries, wash hands, etc -- not that you have any pets but just for general info. Amazing that your DH may be back to work Tues. I thought I posted some photos of the bath house already but maybe not.

It's a fairly simple arrangement ;) Looking out from the bedroom:

{{gwi:181382}}

Very narrow space (should've decluttered bath junk for photo shoot...rats!)

{{gwi:181383}}

Looking the other way. I grabbed a garden chaise for a reading spot. At night, it feels a lot like being on a boat:

{{gwi:181384}}

Congrats, Brenda, on the imminent arrival of little Jude Harrison, a lovely name.

• flowerluvr
    14 years ago

Good evening from St. Ignace!
    (((Norma))) I'm so sorry. I know that it helps some that your friend is no longer suffering, but it is still so hard. I, too am glad it didn't happen on your birthday. I wanted Chuck's suffering to stop, but don't know how well I'd have handled it if it happened on my birthday. Thankfully, it was 5 days later. Take care, and keep your memories close to your heart.

Bug, have a wonderful visit with Ivy. I'm sure a little "Nana medicine" will make her feel much better!

Denise, I love the bath house! Wow, 40 pounds-amazing! So glad to hear your Dad is doing better!

Julie...painting ceilings, taped or otherwise is one of my least favorite tasks. I always try to squint and tell myself that maybe one coat will get it. Never does :/ In the same vein, textured ceilings are pure evil, IMHO.
    We do have a bit of a wait on young Jude. He's not due to arrive until Feb 8.

Mary, I don't envy you the task of keeping a young boy from running. That is rough! How disappointing for him!

ROFL! V, what a creature you discovered. I must say, it looks friendly enough, though!

Today, we had planned to go to a water-powered sawmill that also has a 1500' zip-line though the woods. It rained. It's supposed to continue to rain the rest of the evening, and possible severe weather. We can see Mackinaw Island from our hotel room. There are several ships anchored between the island and the mainland. A little bit ago, it was raining so hard, we couldn't see them or the island. Poor seagulls were lined up outside the door staring at us, lol! "Our" cafe opens for supper at 5:30. We're hoping for a break so we can escape to eat. If it doesn't happen, all we have in the room is chocolate, coffee and a couple of Coronas left from yesterday. I may be forced to arm-wrestle Jim for them. Hey! I can see the ships AND the island. May be time to make a break for food, lol!
    Brenda

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

PS: Here's our gang at the pre-theatre picnic. DH had not arrived yet and the other husband was taking the photo.
    {{gwi:181385}}

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ship Ahoy to Denise in the bathhouse and Brenda in the rainstorm you did in fact post photos Denise, but it was during the temporary floral window covering phase- love the white shades..spa-rustic ! And thanks for the zip-line link over on FB BrendaI guess I dont get out much, I had no idea of the existence of such a thing. It actually looks kind of fun, but not to be attempted with a hangover !

Pm, some of my succulents are able to stay outdoors here in winter with no ill effects, but I have several that are frost tender. A few I can move into the house but the collection seems to keep mysteriously growing, so Im going to leave the marginal ones outside up against the wall of the house with a row cover canopy. I am going to the coast for a few days in about a week and a half- I have booked a little cottage with ocean view (and wireless internet, lol) and Im going to visit some gardens and mostly just relax ..

((Norma)) , thinking of you and hope you get all the support and care you need.

Nothing further to report tonight and apologies to all for my brief comments more verbiage on the morrow !

Kathy in Napa

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Norma, so sorry about Mike. Hugs to you.

Saucy, What was I thinking! My kids are all grown so easy for me to say. [g] Really my DD would probably be the only one that I could persuade to attend at any point.

Denise, I just love that open, airy bath! I had not seen it with the window shades and the sitting area. Amazing what you can fit into such a small space. Of course, with all the windows, it looks much larger. I can imagine it is quite wonderful to take a bath there. ....Isn't that wonderful news about your Dad! Your Mom must be so relieved. Imagine what just removing one medication can do. .... That is interesting about pets and MRSA. It's sad that our pets can be at risk from what is ailing us. DH did not have MRSA, I think someone else mentioned that particular strain, which I am told is worse than the one DH had.

Brenda, the beginning of February is not that long to wait! This is your first grandchild, right? If Jude waits another week, he could be a Valentine baby. :-) .... I've always wanted to see Mackinaw Island. Isn't that the island that has no cars allowed?

I am low on my own photos right now, and I saw this at National Geographic and thought of V....

{{gwi:181387}}

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Welll, golll -ee - I no sooner think I've caught up than I fall behind - Im sure there's a name for such a slacker... I lost the weekend due to a zip visit to PA to check on the patriarch - okay visit and things fairly normal - but it put me outta undies, food, sleep, garden time, and R&R among other things....

I will attempt to check back in for some belated b-day cards to fellow idyllers -- I hope you all had good ones, despite the loss of your friend, Norma --

Brenda, I love your "go with the flow" kind of vacations -- you bend according to weather and opportunities --- and still have fun!

Sounds like some others are off on their various treks to family and vacations -- have grand times!!

Chelone -- I had a H.S. friend loss similar to yours decades ago and it stuck with me forever-- I hope you realize 'taint nuthing likely you could have done and we must accept that hopefully their pain is at end and they are at peace too.... so peace to you.... I hoiked my ruby spice clethra last month -- it had done much of naught for the last 5 years and I just wasnt impressed with it enuf. I think I hoiked the hummingbird one a few years before... I must say the only clethra I seem to think I'd like to re-invite to my garden would be the clethra barbenervis (Japanese clethra) that gets huge -- but wonderful - even not in foliage. But I dont have space for it....

That's great to hear your Dad's improving, Denise -- I think my Dad recently had fluid retention issues w/ his BP meds also -- it's amazing how just a re-vamp of something they'd thought was "standard" can make a wonderful difference. I thought of you too re the VHS tapes, as I attempted to discuss some housecleaning w/ my Dad this weekend (to no avail) --he wont even let go of 1954 tax records, or slide trips -- I realize they represent his "life" and he's just not willing to let go of it yet, le grand sigh.... I just love that cosy spot you managed to squeeze the chaise into -- terrific multi-purposing of a lovely retreat spa area...

Ok, back to awfice detention stuff... yes, I will ! check back in...

-cindy