Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_zone4

A rainy fall day in the garden

michelle_zone4
17 years ago

Its a rainy fall day in my garden, but there are many things that really look pretty good. I strive to have 3 seasons of interest. I'm somewhat pleased with how the late season interest is shaping up.

This container seems to get better and better.

{{gwi:181514}}

{{gwi:181517}}

The trough garden. I wondered why that bowl always is out of water :o)

{{gwi:181519}}

{{gwi:181520}}
{{gwi:181521}}
{{gwi:181522}}
{{gwi:181523}}
This is an ornamental cabbage that I grew from seed. I have quite a few throughout the gardens. They are really quite fun.

{{gwi:181527}}
{{gwi:181529}}
{{gwi:181530}}
{{gwi:181533}}
{{gwi:181536}}

I hope you enjoyed the fall day with me. I got quite wet how about you? LOL

Michelle

Comments (14)

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Bravo, Michelle! I'd say your goal of having a three season garden has been achieved. Isn't that the way with containers? They always look great just as the season is winding down. Of course along with the tropicals they carry the late season garden.

Nice job!

Sue

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Michelle, I was saying 'Bravo, Bravo'!!! as I was scrolling down your fantastic photos of your fantastic gardens and containers. I see, however, that Sue beat me to that word. LOL All of these photos are seriously wonderful and you really have mastered having three season color. I want to go and peruse these pics when I have more time later. Thanks so much for posting these.
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Each of your photos has something special to comment on Michelle! All lovely!
    In photo #11, is that berberis Aure Nana in the foreground? If so, I have one that is about 3" tall! I wonder if it will ever reach the size of yours.
    Tiger Eyes has begun to change colour at our house already. Yum!
    Cloudy and windy and rainy here today so far....

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Beautiful Michelle! You have LOTS of late season interest. Love the container! Love the kale! LOL about the kitty drinking all your water! Everything looks fresh and green as Spring. I have my Tiger Eyes in now too. Wonder how many of us Idylls have one now? What's the variegated plant in the last photo? I like the combo with the lime greens in that picture alot. I enjoyed these so much. Thanks!

Eden

• just_t
    17 years ago

Michelle, your garden looks so lush and lovely. I've come back a couple times to look at the photos. Beautiful green thumbs you have!

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Yes, Inspiration!!!! Just what I needed to see today, Michelle, after needing to neglect the plants one more weekend. The wait is worth it!!!!

Thank you,

Martie

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm glad you all enjoyed the fall tour.
    'bug, the berberis is 'Monler'it is one of the first shrubs I planted so its 9 years old. It tops out at 12"

Eden, the shrub is weigela 'French Lace' along with heuchera 'Keylime Pie' Both were planted last summer.
    The rain drops really make everything shine. Everything should be green after 5" inches of rain in 2 weeks.

Michelle

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Beautiful Michelle - lovely textures, foliage and blooms. The soft light makes everything sing. Tigers Eye is a great plant isn't it? Kitty drinking out of the bowl is wonderful too. Gardens and pets are a great combination. Hope you get a few more weeks to enjoy your containers - when is your first frost expected?

mary

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Love the show Michelle. Thanks for sharing. Your gardens are looking as good as any of the pro ones you people have been giving me glimpses of during travels.
    I love that trough garden too. Hmmnn gives me an idea for that tank from DHs now defunct old compressor. LOL
    Norma

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Again, you enchant us, Michelle -- truly lovely -- and I did not get wet one drop - how nice -- there's something to be said for the vicarious garden tour. It is looking really wonderful and you're doing a fabulous job - very inspiring.

-Cindy

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful! Thank you for sharing. What are the cute little round pale yellow flowers in the 4th from the last pic?
    LOL... the disappearing water from the bowl. Those black cats bear watching!

Marian

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the lovely compliments. You guys are the best!
    Marian, that is a hardy mum.

Michelle

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Awww...what the heck...was going to peruse these later when I had more time, but my soul needed a lift! :-) Thanks Michelle for sharing all of these. I agree with Mary the color is *astounding* everything looks so crisp and fresh...just lovely!

That container is *wonderful*....is that hibiscus (can't remember its name right now) in the background?

I *love* the combination of Coreopsis with the Angelina sedum and the Eupatorium with the Sumac....WOW! Well all the pictures are beautiful and it's such a great color rush. You certainly have done a fantastic job creating all season interest!

Thanks for sharing...I just *love* Idyll pics.

Ei

• yeonasky
    17 years ago

Michelle your garden tour was such a treat, even in inclement weather. :) We had lots of rain a while back but we're back to sun, so I was due for a rainy walk in a beautiful garden. :) I especially love the variegated plants as they sparkle in a darker day, but the other plants' colors look like jewels in the rain too. Well done, and thanks for sharing.

Yeona

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional