#403 The Good News Only Thread!

gardenbug
15 years ago

I want to start this one FAST! :)

Comments (101)

• denisez10
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

(sheesh, I should've stuck to answering the question.)

Sorry. Miscanthus 'Gold Bar'

Off for a bike ride.

I think this thread could be seen as hoping for good news but in reality welcoming any and all news.

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

I agree, all news welcome. Thanks for the id Denise. I'll be back when I have more time to look at your lovely little garden. Marie, thinking of you. And now worrying a little too. Just my nature...

Eden

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The good news is that I have just received confirmation of W&S's tickets for Peru. Sure I'll be anxious, but no more so than if they stayed at home with cruel harassment.

Steak for dinner tonight I think. No, not for you Phoebe!
    'bug

• jak1
    15 years ago

Ohhh'Bug, this doesn't sound good. Worries me too.

This morning I was awake at 3:30 and at the computer by 4:30, back to bed at 5:30 and up at 7. When I am awake like that, I have what I call my "dark thoughts". This is when I think about money, health, aging. This is when I am sad for my little Adrian who, unless he meets that 'special someone', will be very much alone by the age of 30 - no sibs, no parents (to speak of anyway) and likely no grandparents either. When I confided these thoughts to Sr.Phil his sympathetic reply was "You're such a Female". Yup, I am.

Went to church and had a chat with the choir director about Brahms. Not a satisfactory conversation there either.

So after lunch I went to bed.

Oh Denisez10, your courtyard looks wonderful!
    I hope your toe is now more comfy, Deanne.
    Eden, it sounds like Bella is delightful.

Steak for dinner here too (and not for Ajax).

A quiet evening here I hope.

Cheers,

Julie

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Zeus is planning a midnight garbage can raid for meat juice soaked napkins....I can see the hampster wheel turning in his little head.

We had Yankee pot roast with Rosemary yeast rolls...and something green on the side.

Ah, Julie, you'd be surprised at who'll take in those Phils....If Jake's still living in my basement, he can come stay with us, LOL!

GB, we'll commiserate. You don't have to hold it in on account of "good news." The bear story was exciting, and so is news of Peru. I still have not finished the applications for our family's passports....maybe I should get back on that :)

Denise, love, love, love your garden!

Kathy, you're an enabler...that website is fabulous! Instead of posting on Idyll this morning, I took a little detour and dreamt of next year's garden. I love their "collections" - what a fun way to order!

Today I taught boyscouts to cast leaves. I did good, but it's not fun to me if my audience isn't just as enthusiastic. They liked playing in the mud all right, but I knew they weren't planning to place them in their gardens as a decoration :)

Well, I'm off to fold some clothes and get everyone ready for the school week (yeah!)

Saucy

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

I had such an enjoyable day, I hate to see Monday come. The weekend just flew by. DH, son and daughter pitched in and they managed to get the lawn mowed, a ton of perennials moved, and a large viburnum dug out and moved. It was beautiful yesterday, but this morning, was chilly and damp. It took me two hours to warm up when I came in the house. The air conditioners even got put away and the storm windows pulled down!

Later in the afternoon, DD did the food shopping and cooked a delicious lamb stew. Perfect fall fare. Add in a Patriots game and the Red Sox and it's been very relaxing.

Julie...your sleep schedule sounds a lot like our house. [g] If I wake up in the night, I make it a rule to only think about gardening. I rearrange the plants in the beds until I fall back to sleep. :-)

Gardenbug....amazing Bear story. Really wonderful that W&S know what to do with such an encounter. I also sympathize with your outing. I don't look forward to those either. Glad W&S are getting away for awhile. It will do them good. Such an exciting trip too!

Denise...I wanted to say earlier in the week, that I just loved the photo you posted of the Agaves and Succulents in pots. I really love that decorated pot with the spikey agave? in it. Very pretty color and glazing and it adds so much to that vignette. Now that last photo is another great one. I always enjoy the colors and textures in your garden. Glad that Marty was okay. Scary though.

Eden....two of my kids are really into cooking and I decided last Christmas to try to include a cookbook a year, so I'll have to get a look at that Artisan Bread Book...thanks. [And thanks Saucy too. :-)] Oh, and I like the 'Cinnamon' paint for the kitchen cabinets. Great name for the kitchen. :-)

Saucy...I rarely watch the news any more, either. My Mom LOVED Benji and had a stuffed Benji on her bed. [g] We drove through Woodstock in August and hope we have time to go back and spend more time there. We have been to the Norman Rockwell Museum but not since the kids were little. Enjoyed your photos.

Woody...I have that Eupatorium too. Who can resist a name like 'Chocolate'. [g] Mine is in bloom now and I love the fuzzy white blooms. I am a bit worried about too much reseeding after hearing stories, but I deadhead it quickly and it has not been a problem. I had so much fun looking at your link to the North Alley project. Quite a transformation. I love some of the ideas you had and I am very impressed with your ability to create gates and fences and air conditioner covers. I wish I were that handy. That copper fence/gate with the clematis came out looking like a professional did it. I also love the Harlequin Honeysuckle on that fence. I've never seen a variegated one. Is it fragrant? Is the chain link fence painted black? It looks nice and the SAClematis is perfect for it. I have been nursing along a small cutting for two years and it is large enough now to place at the bottom of a trellis. I finally noticed some fragrance this year. Looking forward to mine getting as big as yours. Yours didn't take long!

Marian....I'm not sure where the vapor was coming from, and since everyone seems to enjoy Wales...Kathy, I would like to visit there some day too.... I have another photo from that series from Wale's....

{{gwi:181621}}

Men gather to inspect penned sheep in Wales. There are more than three times as many sheep as there are human inhabitants in the nation of 2.9 million. Most of the country's 11 million sheep live in a rugged central region known as the 'sheep curtain.'
    Photograph by Sam Abell

Running out of steam again....waving hello to all...

:-)
    pm2

• chelone
    15 years ago

A quick morning hello this morning. I'm working today since we'll be taking Friday off and that means a 4 day weekend coming up for me. I hope the weather holds through it.

I devoted myself to evicting the grass that had set up camp nicely under the Blue Rug juniper (a Julie job?). I urge you all to take heed! should you have a groundcover juniper DO NOT, I repeat do not, turn a blind eye to grass poking up through it. It was a completely miserable job, requiring most of 4 hrs., on my hands and knees, patiently moving the juniper's branches this way and that to get at the grass below. It was difficult to cultivate the ground to get the grass runners because doing so disturbed the places where the juniper branches had rooted themselves. :( The juniper is huge (easily 15' across), though it desperately needs to be pruned back and some things need to be thinned out. I am going to wait until it's time to make Christmas decorations before taking the pruners to it. In all, it looks 100% better, and it really is a handsome plant. I have pictures, but haven't had time to go through them.

Denise, I think your garden is terrific! I am always fascinated by small, urban gardens. I love the way you have put up fences, pergolas, trellises to add more interest in a small area and give yourself more "platforms" for things. Brilliant. I have had to go back and forth several times to put your description to the pictures.

I think leaf casting sounds like a blast. I hope the little urchins behaved themselves. :)

I think those same "dark thoughts" too, Julie. The helpmeet is much the "grasshopper" and I'm definitely the ant. :( I am a creature of habit, with a routine that takes care of the details and tends to keep ticking one more chore off the list. He's the one who "interrupts" me to go have fun. ;) I tend to read when I am overwhelmed and sleepless.

PM2, good to hear you've managed to get some major gardening done, too. Feels good, huh? Helpmeet's mother was Welsh, we used to hear her muttering away in Welsh when she was irritated by something. She was a rig, all right.

Hang in there, 'bug. DGS's mother doesn't really have a clue about what her ex. and your daughter are experiencing now. Let's hope she never gets one, either!

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am determined to find some joy in today...even though I woke up too early once again. I tend to zip through my many forums when I am sleepless to try and distract myself.

This morning I found a positive posting by DD on one of the forums which just shows what attitude can do for a person.

"As of this afternoon, we have plane tickets to go to Peru from the 9th to the 27th of October!

WOOHOO!!!!!

Everyone is thrilled except Skyler's mom who basically said that DH is irresponsible, is not a fit parent, is a danger to himself and others, is cruel, etc... (but could he babysit Skyler because she has to take a course)

If you knew DH, this would simply make you see red, or laugh your head off because it has no foundation. Grr... if the last post about her was frustrating, this one takes the cake!"

Often times when people put others down or spread rumors, it is to heal their own hurt, jealously, and uncomfortableness with themselves and their life. This seems to be a dangerous example. But imagine my rage yesterday as she lashed out because she needs to be the center of the universe. Of all times....

I'm working on my attitude once more, learning from DD and DSIL. Amazing what I learn from my kids!

It is still dark dark dark outside my window. Soon DH must rise and prepare for his 8:30 class. I think it may be therapy mowing for me today!

Have a super day today everyone! This one's on me!

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Joy for me today on 'bug's tab!! Added to my own wishes for everyone it can't help but be a good day. The good news in all this, Marie, is that you have a place to come and rant and a pretty amazing group of people will rant right along with you. Or just listen. Or laugh with Sarah as suggested. In any sense, coming here is just plain good news no matter what!

Yesterday BGGF Virginia and I went "stuff" hunting in the gardens and came up with a pretty wonderful dried bouquet. At least it's materials for a dried bouquet since you all know I have no skill and arrangement unless it's in the ground :-) Where's Michelle!!!!! I need you to cyberly guide me through this!!! Anyway, despite the 40degF misty morning we had a blast and spent a happy few hours warming up with cuppas and catching up on news.

The whole weekend was actually great. Rich and I decided we couldn't do a darn (and other words ;-) thing about our current financial situation, nor Ky's current financial situation, nor the various crises that are plaquing really good people we know, so we'd just have fun, and have fun we did. All Julie Job tools were put out of sight, we picked the last of the peppers out of the garden and stuffed them up with rice and herbs and green tomatoes and feasted. We found the stupidest blips we could find in the newspaper and LOL. We made our own joy, and it's good to know that this can still be done amidst some real disheartening events.

So, today I'll think of all the great pics on this and other threads, and of this group rallying through situations much tougher than mine, and be grateful to be upright and talking :-)

Off to the shore today to meet a brand new prospective client. Yet another reason for celebration!!! Ocean and biz opportunity!!! Always a great combo.

Best to everyone -

Martie

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good morning all,

Another sunny lovely morning here but I think its supposed to get cloudy later on. Still no frost. The weather people are saying there might be one tonight but I'm gambling that there won't. If I lose things, Oh well! I potted up 105 rooted coleus cuttings yesterday and still have another couple dozen to go. I know I'm a bit nuts. That doesn't seem like cutting back to me. I'm actually planning on culling half of them and only keeping the best of them. I've gotten about thirty pots cleaned out and am planning on getting another forty or so done this week. I'm leaving the fuchsias for last as they are so lovely right now.

Kathy, yes, that alocasia looks like the one at Wave Hill although the one at Wave Hill was called 'Yellow Splash'. I actually did find it at some mail order nursery on line and its currently doing well. I'm hoping it can get it through the winter. Its really a lovely plant. ~~ Love Psychokitty in the pot! What a cutie.

Denise I just love your garden! You have such an interesting collection of plants. I love that its so very different than anything around here. You've done wonders with the space you have. ~~ Where did you go for your bike ride? ~~~ OH yes, I have that Persicaria 'Golden Arrow' too. It doesn't look that good in my garden. LOL ~~ That's too much with the alarm systems and getting locked out of the house.

Saucy, so what do the boyscouts plan to do with their leaf castings? ~~ I'm planning on letting a few of my larger abutilons go. YOu are welcome to them if you're interested in trying to winter them over?

Julie, thanks, The toe is still sore but on the mend.

Eden, how was the show? I'll bet you and Bella had a great time.

Eileen, how neat you loved Leslie Ann Warren's Cinderella too! Also one of my all time favorites. Wasn't she just a perfect Cinderella?

Bug, Peru! Amazing. Good for them.

OK waving hello to one and all, I've got to get back to my de-potting chores. Have a great day everyone.
    Deanne

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

gb - The 'ex' sounds like a lovely piece of work! Try some vigorous yanking of nasty weeds as therapy - that would seem to be an appropriate activity....

We had a nice curry dinner and bridge session on Saturday. My friend was showing off the new additions to her menangerie - she has had a life-long obession with sheep for some reason. For her recent birthday her DH bough her 4 sheep! So she now has 4 sheep, 2 horses, 2 Goldens, 4 (or maybe more...) cats, and several rabbits. (Plus two kids... she didn't have her first child until she was past 40!) Before she goes off to work in the morning ( ~45 minute commute) she has to muck-out the barn and feed all the animals and then clean up herself and get the kids ready to go (they go to school near where she works so they go with her...) I don't know where she gets the energy!

Eden - I hope you have a nice birthday party with your father.

Julie and Saucy - you guys are stingy :-) When there's steak for dinner here, Misty gets her share too... She's an important member of our 'pack' and sharing the food is one of the ways packs bond :-)

PM2 - yes, the Harlequin honeysuckle is scented. The chainlink fence is black - I much prefer the black ones to the bare metal or the green you sometimes see used. Black sort of 'disappears' more easily. The SAC doesn't get cut to the ground here. I did that the first year to help it get established but now I leave the main framework and just cut back all the previous year's growth. If it gets too big eventually, I will do more drastic pruning as needed.

Chelone - that grass removal sounds like it would have been a very prickly job! While I like the look of some of the low-growing evergreens I am not inclined to add any to the garden here because I fear that most eventually get overgrown and then be difficult - and painful - to get back under control.

Denise - your garden looks like a lovely place to relax and immerse yourself in plants!

Deanne - I am constantly amazed by your unlimited energy for dealing with all those plants in pots! I feel like a lazy slacker... :-)

We had Jasper and Blue yesterday while their 'parents' went to visit their son. Usually when J&B come for a visit it's for a week or two. Poor old Jasper looked confused when his 'daddy' came back for them in the evening. He had obviously settled in for a long stay in this, his second home, and was uncertain whether to stay or go when 'daddy' appeared!

Jasper is 11 now and aging quickly - and the tumors are growing fast again. I doubt he'll make it through this winter. Randy found the article in the link below when he was reading the Washington Post yesterday. It is a touching memorial for a much-loved dog and brought a tear or two to our eyes as we read it in Jasper's company.

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Marie, the happiest of birthdays to you today my friend!

{{gwi:181623}}

Eden

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Good Morning all....

Looks like we may get a good rain this week. It it doesn't start today I need to wash my car before going to town in the morning. The honey locust leaves are falling, and stuck all over it. Where they blew off, they left a dirty spot...all over the car!

Kathy, you asked how the prep was going for the expected guests. Actually I do not feel compelled to do very much. I recall that she was a very 'relaxed' housekeeper. ;-)
    I doubt if she has become a neatness freak...at least I hope she hasn't. Besides, she has glaucoma, and I haven't heard how much it has advanced since I last was with her.

It seems strange to think they are 31 years older than when we last saw them. I am trying to feature what they may look like now.
    I was hoping our fall colors would be better, but it is still too early. I do have a little in our immediate area.I will start another thread with them on it, so I don't slow this one down.

Marie, I do understand the kind of person the ex is. I have one in my family. Tim's ex is so much like Wayne's. She is a control freak. And she knows it all !!!!She has made some very hard comments about Tim, just as Wayne's ex does him, and yet Tim has been granted a lot of time with the girls. I am so thankful for that.

TTYAL...I am going to post those starting fall pics now....

Marian

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday, Marie -- I hope it is a peaceful, calm one for you!

{{gwi:181624}}

--Cindy

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

Best birthday wishes to you, Marie! ((BUG))
    {{gwi:181625}}
    This is a shot of the Thai Pavilion at Olbrich Gardens. A lion stands guard, and it is one of the most peaceful and beautiful places I've had the chance to see in person. I had a strong 'Bug Vibe' there, and spent some quiet time pondering the way life works.
    From the plaque:
    Building Peace & Understanding

Construction
    The Pavilion was crafted in Bangkok, Thailand by Thai artisans, all skilled craftsmen.
    Each piece of the Pavilion was carefully packed in shipping crates to travel by ship, train and truck to reach Madison.

The Artisans * September 11, 2001
    The artisans flew from Thailand to Madison to reconstruct the Pavilion at Olbrich Botanical Gardens.
    Their plane was one of the last planes allowed to land in Chicago on September 11, 2001

Column Raising * September 13, 2001
    Construction of the Pavilion began with a traditional Thai ceremony to commemorate the raising of the first column and symbolize friendship between the two countries.

Tile Signing * September 22 and 23, 2001
    Community members wrote messages of peace and hope on the back of the roof tiles.

Grand Opening * June 15, 2002
    The Thai Pavilion and Garden opened to the public with a grand celebration of Thai culture.

'The fact that both the artisans and the pavilion arrived safely in the midst of chaos and destruction seemed a blessing and a promise.'
    Andrea S. Musher
    Madison Poet Laureate

Take care, friend
    Brenda
    PS..given my questionable photo skills, here's a site that has more pictures ;)
    http://www.portalwisconsin.org/thai_photos.cfm
    P.S.S. Just when I think I've captured the most serene and beautiful shot....a farmer shows up in it, lol! I didn't notice Jim until I previewed the post. He says Happy Birthday to Bug, too!

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Happy birthday, 'bug!
    (a photo Mitch took of a nonprofit group he worked with over the summer, Inner City Kids, the most cheerful photo I could find!)

{{gwi:181626}}

15 years ago

{{gwi:181628}}

• saucydog
    15 years ago

{{gwi:181630}}

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday Marie!

{{gwi:181631}}

Michelle

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday Marie ..I hope you will be amused at this pic of our "Muttonhead' of some year's ago.

{{gwi:181633}}

We just got another e-mail from the friends who are coming tomorrow. I will not need to prepare any food for them. They plan on eating with me at the Golden Year's class, and (like us) they only snack in the evening.

I have washed the car, and made their bed, so all that is left to do is to wash the dishes, vacuum the livingroom carpet, and tidy up the hall bathroom. I am really looking forward to this visit. :-)

Marian

• deanneart
    15 years ago

{{gwi:181634}}

• jak1
    15 years ago

Hi all from the frozen north...

Happy Birthday Marie,(I'm not sure of the date, so I may be early, late, or on time!).

It is quite cold today, but bright and sunny. I should be working outside but I think I'll put that off for a day as it is supposed to warm up a bit this week.

The carpet cleaners came this morning to clean the family room and stairs. The FR is large - (15 x 24 ft. I think )so there was a lot of stuff to move out. As a result - no work possible in the office or storage room for now. The carpet feels wet to me, and I don't really know how long it will take to dry. I will be opening the windows this afternoon to try to get some air circulation going.

And of course, DS has a cold, so he doesn't want to work outside at the golf course today - instead he has started to replace the floors in the two upstairs bedrooms. This means that all of Adrian's bedroom furniture and stuff and junk is all over the rest of the upstairs. So no regular tidy up or anything can go one there.

On the week end DH decided to start his project of moving the deck steps. This involves removing my little pond and relocating all the stones and bricks I had there. He has gotten as far as taking out the pond and stacking all the stuff, but the whole area looks awful with dirt and holes etc. So not much that I can do out there either.

The only "safe" place for me to be is in the kitchen or laundry room, so cooking and washing are the orders of the day - and likely all week too!

These men will be able to keep me in JulieJobs for a month!

You all have such gorgeous gardens and photos! Maybe I'll spend some time today looking through mine (of course they are not organized in any way whatsoever so I'll have to brwose through everything) to see if I can come up with something to show you all.

And
    Woody, Ajax doesn't share his food with me so I don't feel guilty at not sharing mine with him *LOL*. Oh, he's part of the pack all right. In fact, he thinks he's the leader!! And the beds are HIS beds and the couch is HIS couch and so on. Such is the way with dogs!

Cheers,

Julie

15 years ago

On the subject of birthdays... I've just started reading'Struck by Lightning - the Curious World of Probabilities' and it talks about the fun fact of 'the birthday problem'! Here's a quote:
    '...if 23 people are selected at random, there is just over a 50% chance that two of them will have the same birtday (meaning the day and month only, not year). With 41 or more people, the probability is over 90%. This makes for a nice parlour trick; the next time you're at a decent-sized party, find a poor sucker who hasn't yet heard of the birthday problem, bet him that two people in the room have the same birthday, and watch the money roll in.'

It made me think of the multiple birthdays on the last thread....

The book points out that while the probability of each of the 23 people's birthday being on any one day is 23/365 or 6.3%, the question of two people having the same birthday involves a question of the number of possible pairs - and there are more pairs than people... 23 people can be paired 253 different ways! That would work out to 69% - but that includes the possibility of multiple pairs having the same birthdays so the actual probability is closer to 50% (He doesn't explain the math of how to adjust for the multiple pairs though, just gives the adjusted probablity number.)

I thought it was a fun birthday fact though!

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday Marie !!!
    {{gwi:181635}}From fishzoo

Heres to a Good News Birthday !

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    15 years ago

Here is a birthday vignette from Saturday on the Compound:

{{gwi:181636}}

Or maybe this one? "Wanna play ball with me?"

{{gwi:181637}}

Many happy returns, 'bug. :)

• chelone
    15 years ago

Before grass was wrangled:
    {{gwi:181638}}
    Post wrangling:
    {{gwi:181639}}

What's this cleverly hidden behind the Hydrangea blooms? perhaps an elephant eye watching me?
    {{gwi:181640}}
    ooohh... I see!
    {{gwi:181641}}
    Good thing Rex found it a couple of weeks ago and alerted us... I've been mowing under it and around it with my usual industry all summer long, lol! I can't wait until we've had a few killing frosts, I'm going to cut it down, spray it with some laquer and keep it as a curiosity. It's an amazingly beautiful thing to behold, though presently I admire it with great caution. ;)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday Marie! :-D

No personal photos that are Birthday worthy, but this fall photo from National Geographic looked like a celebration all by itself! Hope you were able to wrestle some happiness from the day!! :-D

{{gwi:181642}}

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Chelone, Nolon commented, just a couple of days ago, that there must be a hornets nest nearby because he is seeing lots of hornets. Yours appears to be close to the ground. Around here 'they' say it means a bad winter.
    Nolon collects the nests and has them stored on the shed. I think the mice have torn them up to make their nests. :-(

• saucydog
    15 years ago

I've watched a Blue Jay "dive" into the paper nest and eat the contents (I'm just guessing that it's larvae left in there....mmmm.....protein!).

Good picture of it, Chelone.

Just cooking dinner here....tonight's roasted acorn squash, salmon, and green beans.

Saucy

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

{{gwi:181643}}

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Hola amigos! I'm back from my trip, which was utterly wonderful. Buenos Aires is an amazing international city. We walked for miles, ate lots of beef, drank lots of Malbec, rode horses with a true gaucho, and discussed politics with an Israeli, a couple of Danes and a couple of Dubliners (almost sounds like the lead-in of a bad joke?). Now it's back to real life, with tons of mail, email, laundry and work meetings to catch up on.

I already can hear Deanne asking, but the photos are still on the camera. Our flight from Miami was delayed this morning, so our catch-up time was cut short.

Kathy, I just want you to know that I am utterly shocked by what you (and your *@ Dodgers) did while I was out of the country!

I have a lot of catching up to do, but I'll take this opportunity to say:

Happy Birthday, Marie!

{{gwi:167645}}

V.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Evenin all , and fare-thee-well to Monday. It was unproductive as all get out today. Wasted time, too many fires etc. Yesterday my plans for the garden went awry as I went on an outing with DS to the Renaissance Pleasure Faire , which was in majestic Gilroy(home of the garlic festival) and thus a two hour drive each way. We used to go almost annually when the screaming meemies were young-uns as it was located for many years in Black Point Forest in Marin County and only about a half hour or so drive away. Sadly, the property was sold to developers and the Faire suffered from some slap-dash venues ,management changes etc. It was , and is expensive as he*l but at least I only have to pay for myself these days ! Though not as big as it used to be it was still fun. I will share some pics in the next couple of days.

Brenda, I need to go back and view all your garden trip photos. It looks like you got some great shots (farmer cameo notwithstanding ! )..

Chelone, Im not sure I classify any garden related chore as a Julie Job. Thinkin an outdoor Julie Job might be more in the line of exterior window washing, cleaning out the gutters, getting rid of the spider webs on the porch lights, etc. Now a 4 day weekend sounds really keen to me ! I have my Oregon trip coming up, but I always like the extended weekend at home.

What fun to get a snapshot of Denises fabu garden complete with dimensions and descriptions of unseen elements. Aerial shot ? Did we not have a pic of Marty cavorting on the roof not too long ago ? That puts him squarely in the non roofphobic camp, so put some cleats on him and send him up with the camera !

Deanne, thanks for the clarification on the Colocasias. I think I will pick one up next spring , though it will of course be the only plant I buy. Right.

A wave to all, I need to do at least a smattering of chores around here this evening

As they say at the Faire, Hip Hip Huzzah !

Kathy in Napa

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday Marie. I hope it was peaceful.

I had comments I wanted to make from my previous reading but I'm feeling a little under par tonite so will leave it for another time. Norma

• Full_Bloom
    15 years ago

{{gwi:181644}}

• Full_Bloom
    15 years ago

Just wanted to say Eden I know it must have been hard for all of you, but you are such a thoughtful daughter and I'm sure it meant alot to your dad...Happy Birthday Wishes to your dad! Hope Bella enjoyed Disney on Ice...who were the star characters? I'm sure she loved it...lots of fond memories for me and young Paul too!

Denise your garden is gorgeous..clear as mud or not...I loved the pics! Thanks for the plant I.D. I'll have to do a search for that one...I think he'd be perfect in one of my wall pockets! :-)

I'm afraid I'm not myself tonight (nor last night either) so I'll leave my ramblings for another time, but just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying all the pictures and all of Marie's cards. Marian your picture brought a smile to my face, but poor sweet little cutie...how did she get a name like muttenhead? Or is that self explanatory...LOL! I bet she brought a lot of light to your life! :-) PM2 that fall picture of the red trees took my breath away and I'm so glad Chelone didn't leave me in suspense...I'm horrible at guessing! :-) Kathy that fish pic is sooo cool! Well everyone's posts are wonderful and a treat for the eye....

Sweet Dreams! Ei

• chelone
    15 years ago

OK, we're gonna try this again. The "Vignette" is still where it's supposed to be, but last night I had a terrible time uploading pictures.

Another birthday wish for 'bug! 2 shots from Saturday on the compound:
    {{gwi:181645}}
    and a closer view of the same thing:
    {{gwi:181646}}

And this is what Blue Rug looked like before I yanked out the grass:
    {{gwi:181648}}

It always amazes me how a little bit of judicious clean up can really make such a big difference. In the same vein as keeping on top of the clutter...

Welcome home, V., you trip sounds devine.

Be brilliant today, everyone.

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Happy Belated Birthday Marie!!! In keeping with the Tydll, continue celebrating with 'Soaring Spirits'!!!

{{gwi:172993}}

Martie

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good morning all,

Well it looks like things got just a brush of frost last night. I won't be able to tell until I get outside and look at the dahlias etc. NOthing in the back under the trees got anything but the lawn across the street looked a bit frosted. We'll see. At this point it will be a bit of a relief to be hacking down mush instead of lovely, large plants in their prime. I've dealt with about forty pots so far so I still have a long way to go but at least I've made a dent.

Saucy, I hate those paper wasps! they get pretty nasty this time of the year. I didn't catch if you sprayed that nest? We had one last year that we'd sprayed several times before they stopped flying out of it.

Chelone, love the pics of Wrecks and the blue rug juniper also the lovely vignette with the kitty statue. I love those ground covering shrubs. They always look good and are tough as nails. I've got to be careful when I deal with any junipers as they give me a pretty nasty rash.

Woody, years ago we used to sail on a shcooner every summer and there were normally 33 passengers. The first morning the captain would do this "Who has a birthday in January" thing and so on and so forth through the months of the year and almost every year for ten years there were people who had matching birthdays. Always a fun exercise. Turns out my next door neighbor across the street has the same birthday as I do and they also have the same date for their wedding anniversary.

Julie, I'd be beside myself with that much disruption in every place in my home. I'd be tempted to burry my head in the sand.

V. welcome home! So glad you had a great trip. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

OK time to get off the computer and get something accomplished. Have a great day all

Deanne

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Good morning!

Sarah made it to the bus, even though it was a rushed mad dash :)

Deanne, the year we had the paper wasp nest, I had to put up a trap on our deck...they kept getting after any protein sources (they like to go inside the grill and pick off little bits that get cooked on the grill)....after the nest was destroyed by the jay, I haven't seem them since. I couldn't have sprayed it without a giant ladder :) they were high in an old maple....we never saw it until the leaves fell off and exposed it.

We had a good hard frost here....but it didn't hit any of my plants, at least that I can see. I'll check it out later.

Did I tell you guys that Nick and the kids went apple picking and brought home a bushel.....I am serious. Nick's reply to my "why" was, "well don't you need that much to make a pie?" I could make a dozen pies. I bought ingredients yesterday....it's gonna be like Forrest and Bubba around here, "apple fritters, apple dumplings, apple cobbler, apple tart......"

I've gotta get moving. Tuesdays are early day at the gym. This week the weather is looking good for beekeeping! I hope my neighbor's schedule will accomodate :) She's been canning end of season veggies at the town barn (our town donates produce to local food banks)...she's quite busy with that :)

TTYL!

Saucy

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

I am about ready for my trip to town, and (hopefully to meet up with our visiting friends).
    We had a pretty good rain during the night, and it is coming from their direction, so I hope it has not slowed them down.
    I will probably not be back to the computer until they leave.

I am interested by the differant terminology in speaking of members of the wasp family.
    I found a good link on that subject...

TTYAL, Marian

• wendy2
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday Gardenbug!

{{gwi:181650}}

This clem is from Inta's garden, I don't have an ID but I challenge 'bug to name it!

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you dear friends. It was a fine birthday, which included phone calls from both "kids" and even a duet by S & W.

Today:

{{gwi:181651}}

Yesterday:

{{gwi:181654}}

{{gwi:181655}}

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Good morning....

Pretty cold out there last night but I can't tell if we had a frost until I get outside. Loving that the sun is out this morning, but Dr's appt instead of gardening today. More shrub moving hopefully tomorrow.

Have been wondering where a few people are that haven't posted in awhile. I haven't seen Anita post for awhile. I think she must have gotten lost, cleaning her house. Anita, I did enjoy your Silverstein poem, but I won't be turning my attention to the house until every last garden chore is done for the winter. At least another three weeks. [g]

And speaking of Anita....Ei...how is your sister doing?

Wondering what is Babs up to? I think ever since she got that mixer for Christmas last year, she is probably baking up a storm. Maybe fall breads? We need some recipes, Babs. :-)

Cindy and Cynthia....we just moved two Hellebores and I thought of both of you and Cynthia's Mikey having such a lovely final resting place. I should be so lucky. [g] Someone told me that Hellebores resent transplanting, maybe it was one of you? They definitely started wilting a little after they were replanted, but I was so happy the next morning that they were looking just fine and I am loving their new placement, right as I come out my kitchen door, I will get to see them bloom much better I think. I would enjoy some Hellebore photos from the two of you.

Cynthia...how is Audrey Hepburn? :-) We are working on our post and rail fence now. DS is replacing some of the worn rails this week and pressure washing and staining them. When you took yours down, what did you replace it with?

Norma....I was wondering about how Wyatt is doing? He must be getting big. Have any current photos? Is the Disney movie you are trying to remember Mulan?

Denise...did you get rain? I just realized, that I don't really know what part of California you are in...are you near San Francisco? What goodies did you get from Bluestone and Chalkhill? No photos of the newly planted? [g] Do you have to give Clematis a lot of extra water with your dry conditions?

V....looking forward to photos of your trip.

Martie...How did DH's veggie garden do this year?

Chelone, how is the Magnolia doing? Still looking good?

Woody are you baking anything this week? :-) You mention stocking up on samosas, do you freeze them?

Michelle....I thought of you a few days ago. DH asked me to please go through all the catalogs and magazines that were collecting on the desk and I threw out my David Austin catalog. I was wondering if you are planning any more rose purchases next year? I also wanted to know if that container next to your shed was an arrangement or planted? It really caught my eye!

Ooops! I just looked up and I need to get moving to my Dr's appt...I will be back later to finish...

:-)
    pm2

15 years ago

It was a frosty morning here - frost on roofs and on the ground too. I got Randy to put the brugs in the garage last night and they'll get moved to the basement this weekend. It's chilly but sunny out and rain is in the forecast for tomorrow, so I think we'll have to wrestle the elephant ears out of their pots this afternoon.

PM2 - A batch of whole wheat bread is rising in the oven at the moment. Yes, when we make samosas, other than the ones we can't resist eating on the spot, they go into the freezer. They freeze very well and are easy to thaw and re-crisp in the oven when you want them to go with dinner.

gb - you have a lot more color than here too. Only a few maples have started with color here although hints of yellow are showing in many things so the green is starting to fade away.

Our big worry now re trees is that we found out last week that Emerald Ash Borer was found in the northern part of town in the summer. The backyard woodland garden here is dependant on our white pines, the red oak and the huge green ash. The ash has a lot of deadwood so we're waiting for a tree pruning service to show up soon. Now we're worried that the deadwood is because of EAB! I figured that EAB was going to show up here sooner or later so we have been planting smaller trees over the past few years. Those ones will help preserve the woodland garden from too much sun when the ash eventually dies. BUT they are not sufficient to provide shade for the patio and shade the living room window and the roof. The ash tree definitely contributes to reducing summer cooling costs. So now we're mulling over how to deal with the possibly of a sooner-than-expected loss of the ash. I think we'll be planting a Northern red oak next year with the intention that that will be the ultimate replacement shade tree. But, since it will be years before it's big enough to be an effective shade tree, we're likely going to look into the possibility of putting solar panels on the roof in the back. That area gets strong west sun - the tree currently protects the house and patio from the worst of the heat of it. In the absence of the tree, there should be enough sun there for a solar panel to make a significant contribution to reducing cooling costs. Something to look into over the winter....

• jak1
    15 years ago

Good afternoon, everyone!

Definitely a hard frost here last night - I went to the garden this morning for Adrian's lunch salad and the lettuce and celery had been hit. He had to make do with carrots.

I have been researching vegetarian kids on the web this week, and am pleasantly surprised to find that Adrian is really getting the variety to fulfil his nutritional needs. He isn't big on quantity, but that may just be the kind of metabolism he has - unlike mine and that of my children when they were growing.

The entire house is still in an uproar, but this afternoon the weather will be great so outside I will go to create some sense of order somewhere in my life. The carpets are not yet dry; the floor is almost complete in Adrian's room so hopefully his furniture can go back in. I have decreed that nothing will go back in unless it has been cleaned and sorted. He still has board books on his bookshelf and he is reading "chapter books" now. He has a whole drawer of McD plastic toys and even he does not want to go there anymore...so this week I will get all that done! Yahoo! Next the menfolk will tackle the Master Bedroom (or Mistress bedroom if you want). Or the "main" bedroom. My stuff is already sorted and pared to the minimum, but Sr. Phil is more of a "Keep it" kind of guy... These are JulieJobs that even Julie doesn't get around to!!

Anyway, all is quiet - well, no, the hammering and sawing continues - but all is well anyway on the northern front.

Am re-evaluating my choir membership - starting to think it is not a real good fit for me. I love the music but my talent is somewhat lacking....still "on the fence" if you will.

"All of God's creatures have a place in the choir
    Some sing low and some sing higher
    Some sing loud on a telephone wire
    And some just clap their hands or paws or anything they've got..."

Maybe I'm a Paws creature...

Cheers,

Julie

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Im glad you all liked the fall container picture. It is actually from last fall. Since my computer is still gone, Im scrounging for birthday photos. It isnt planted, just stuff that dries well. Sedum, cattails, lavender sea statice, verbena bonerinsis, peegee hydrangeas, celosia etc. No kale, Deanne thats sedum. I have to admit I believe that the orange is something fake. I should do another since Ive cut some things back in that area and it would fill in the bare spot.

I worked on the containers on Saturday and also finished the brick edging behind the butterfly garden. Now on to the edging in the Secret garden.

When I get home at night there isnt much garden time anymore. Its been rainy here as well. We got over 2" last night. I made up 2 arrangements last night and then it was dark. I made one for my desk at work with the flowers and foliage from bronze fennel, gartenmeister fuchsia, Tilt-a-whirl coleus and rust colored mums in a terra cotta dish. The other for the table at home is obedient plant Vivid, lime colored hydrangeas and black pearl peppers and their foliage. I like to try to think outside of the box when it comes to arranging. I grew the black pearl peppers from seed this year and have a row of them in the potager. They are really a cool plant with their nearly black foliage and black pearls.

The purple dome asters are putting on their show along with the sedums and a few mums. I have one mum that is absolutely massive. It too is purple in color. The garden looks really quite good yet. DH even mentioned what a lot of nice color is going on it.

My parents came over on Sunday for lunch. We had the vegetable beef soup that I had made along with homemade applesauce, cheddar and cracked pepper bread with apple/walnut crisp for dessert. My mom brought her new laptop with built in webcam and we had fun seeing and talking to Kenzie. She danced around showing us her fairy costume for Halloween. I couldnt help thinking how neat if she could come be a real fairy in my garden :o)

Woody, we have 4 green ash trees on the west side of our house. I worry about the borer getting into them and loosing all our shade.

PM2, I dont plan on anymore roses for the time being. Although, a couple in the new front area could be nice. Hows the back these days?

Chelone, I love your pergola! Now that has presence.

bug, I love how blue the sky is in your 2nd picture. Sorry to hear that the "ex" has no compassion and is such a doozy.

Ei, great card for bugs birthday!

Brenda, next time Im visiting my sister in Madison I think Ill have to try to get to Olbrich Gardens.

Cindy, what a very cool garden shot for bugs b-day. I love that door and the hosta is such a bright addition. Im assuming a IU shot?

Marian, I hope your visit with your old friends is an enjoyable one.

Martie, a great decorator once told me about arranging dont over think it. Your weekend sounds fun.

Cindy, did you find some things in your garden for your boxwood containers. Thats what I usually do is just hunt around and keep an open mind. Some things hold up well and if not I pull them out and replace with something else.

Denise, I like the idea of moss and plants in your birdcage. Your garden is fabulous. Id love to come explore it.

Norma, Princess Jasmine from the movie "Aladdin" It came out when my DD wasnt all that much older than Kenzie. DD loved all those movies. Shes probably just as excited to go to Disney as Kenzie.

Id better end this now. No one will want to read a novel.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wendy, perhaps the clematis is Sir Trevor Lawrence.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Good afternoon....waking up from a cat nap...really don't enjoy sleeping this late in the day. I think I've been doing a little too much lately and sleeping less, so I guess I needed it. So how is everyone this afternoon?

Ei...I am sorry you were not having a good day yesterday. Hoping today was better.

I hope no one is editing what they want to share, because the title of the thread is 'good news only'. I think it is pretty difficult for us to get through a whole thread with no bad news from anyone. [g] Well, we only have room for a couple more posts anyway. :-)

Wondering if Marian had her company today and how that is going. Seeing someone after 30 years has to be very exciting. :-)

Denise, I enjoyed your description of your property. It is fun to try to fill in the gaps around what the photos are representing. You do a great job with such a small site. BTW, how is Marty's back and toe doing? My DH is still going to PT since the last time his back was out of whack. He goes 2-3x a week religiously and has reaped the benefits of it. He is now having trouble with his heel...ongoing issue with Planter Fasciitis...which I think I remember others here reporting having problems with. He has been in pain for a couple of weeks with it this time and has a PT appt today. Flexibility is not his strong point either and I gather that is also a factor with the feet issues. $300. for a house alarm going off? Ouch!

How do you remember learning to read, Chelone?! I don't remember learning to read. [g] I am lucky I remember what I had for lunch, most of the time...lol. I do remember we learned to read with Dick and Jane, although I don't remember actually doing it. What are the 'green books'? I have always been in love with books and libraries. I can remember we had one around the corner from the house we lived in when I was in elementary school and I can still see the interior of the library in my mind. I was going through the Nancy Drew series at that point. I have always visited a library frequently no matter where I lived. I still visit the same library I used all through high school.

Eden and Chelone....I also enjoy putting the garden to bed and getting ready for winter and hopefully putting things in order so that spring will be easier. I don't always find the opportunity to do that, but we seem to be really coasting along this year. Even have cover crop 6 inches high in the veggie beds. All the houseplants are in the house...big deal...about 8 of them. :-) DH has managed to take care of any weeds that were getting ready to go to seed.

Chelone, aren't the sedums dark and gorgeous this year?

How was the seashore, Martie? I would love to hear more about your 'sailing days' when you have a slow day. :-)

Saucy....I wish I could spend some time at your house the next week...I love all things apple!

woody...that is so interesting about your friend who likes sheep so much...lol. I have always enjoyed sheep for some reason. I liked them even more up close and personal, I love the feel of their coat and their steady gaze. :-) I can't imagine how she keeps up with all of it, but it sounds great. I always wanted to live on a farm, like Shirley Temple in 'Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm'. Great when you are young and strong, but as you get older, hopefully you have an interested next generation to replace you. That Harlequin Honeysuckle is variegated? Hmmm....I see Bluestone has it. I had seen it before but their photo is out of bloom and not nearly as nice as yours. I wonder if I could grow that intertwined with Sweet Autumn Clematis, or bad idea?

Cindy....is that your garden gate? Very very pretty and inviting!

Hi Michelle... :-) For some reason, DH enjoys when it starts getting dark early again. I just don't understand it, I hate that! If I was working and had to wait to garden until I got home, I would find that quite a nuisance. Especially since I seem to work in the garden more in fall and spring and not very much in summer when it stays light so late. Isn't that great, that you had a 'visit' with Kenzie! She must be so excited about Halloween and how did she like Disney? So your Mom has a new laptop? How old is your Mom? DH's laptop arrived today and it is still sitting in the box. I haven't got the energy to start trying to get it up and running. At least he doesn't have an old one that needs a lot of files moved or anything, it just has to work out of the box. At the last minute we added a camera too, since it was only $20. more. My back is feeling much better but easily tired. Happy to at least be moving comfortably again.

Would you believe two squirrels actually climbed into the squirrel proof feeders this weekend?! [g] Wish I had a photo of it. The type of feeder that has a cage around the tube of seed, so that only small birds can get in. I keep telling DH they have to be very small immature squirrels. I hope that was a fluke, because I don't want to buy new feeders.

Hello 'bug, Kathy, Deanne, Sue, Julie, Wendy, Norma, Brenda...and is Mary still working on the grotto garden or a bathroom? There has to be some Halloween crafts starting soon, no?

Sun was out today and ...Chrysanthemum 'Medicine Bow'...is still pretty but starting to go by.....

{{gwi:181656}}

{{gwi:181657}}

15 years ago

PM2 - My Harlequin overlaps with the SAC. The SAC does rather engulf the honeysuckle so I wouldn't want them together all the way along the fence. The honeysuckle has the east end of the fence and the clematis is on the west end (with ambitions to spread further east where there is more light....!) - they overlap in the middle. The Harlequin is a bit odd in that it doesn't twine like most honeysuckle vines do - I have to tie it to the fence. I prefer that actually because it would be easy to take the honeysuckle down if we needed to, just by cutting the ties. It would be easy to thread it through the chain link if I didn't want to tie it. If you were growing it up a trellis, you'd have to weave it in - you couldn't rely on it to find it's own way up. I'm not sure if they're all like that or whether mine is odd - maybe it'll twine as it gets older...? (Mine is 4 years old I think.) I gather you can grow it as a shrub by keeping it pruned short.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Woody....it must always smell great at your house. lol We rarely bake but someone is usually cooking something on the weekends. I think I would like to try to make some bread. We have a bread machine, but I didn't find it working out quite as well as I expected, so it has sit in the cabinet for a couple of years. Maybe I should go back to doing it by hand. More satisfying anyway.

Thanks for the tips on the SAClematis and the Honeysuckle. I think I will have to find two locations for those. I have one Honeysuckle now with dark leaves and pink w apricot flowers, that is very fragrant, but it is such a short bloomer. I also have a 'Mandarin Orange' Honeysuckle that is not fragrant, but hummers are supposed to like it. I wouldn't know as it hasn't bloomed the past two years. I planted it on the back post and rail and it is evidently too shady. I have been nursing along a small SAC cutting for two years and it is finally large enough to move into a permanent position in the spring.

I was reading about your Emerald Ash Borer and it's pretty scary. Almost as bad as that Asian Longhorn Beetle that has been devastating trees in New York. That one really is mind boggling with the dime size holes it makes in the tree trunk. So what are they doing for it there? It sounds like you are expecting nothing can be done and you are going to lose all your trees. I was told by our local tree professional that they have burned down acres of trees trying to control the Asian Longhorn Beetle.

It is great that you have already started planting trees to replace the possible loss of the Ash. Did you plant more Ash? I like the idea of solar panels on the roof. I have an unshaded roof and I wonder if in the Northeast there is enough sun for long enough to make it worth it?

Julie...I seem to have gotten your family mixed up, probably from not keeping up with posts at times. I have heard you refer to the 'Phils' which I assumed were DH and DS, but is Adrian one of your children too? I see you are zone 4, so your winter starts just a little earlier than ours. Maybe you could provide a cold frame to keep some of the veggies going longer in fall and earlier in spring? Is it Michelle who has a cold frame? Another zone 4 person.

Bug....I agree with Michelle...I cannot believe Wayne's EX could say anything remotely like that about Wayne at a time like this. Talk about kicking someone when they are down. I can only assume, that people who know her, already know to ignore a lot of what she has to say, and feel the same way you do, hearing what she said about Wayne. Your fall color is looking great, ours has barely started here.

pm2

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz