Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_zone4

The Potting Shed

michelle_zone4
17 years ago

"In the potting shed, our hearts, the pleasures of home, and the glories of the garden merge. Its practical character eases our garden labors. Its romantic nature enriches our lives. Here is peace, and beauty, and a sense of purpose."

Linda Joan Smith

"The Potting Shed"

This the story of the birth of a potting shed...

In the beginning I started as a chicken coop, eventually I housed pigs and calves. Since I was a chicken coop first I was built near the farm house for ease of collecting the daily eggs.

This is the only picture I can find of the "before"

{{gwi:181674}}
Before inside. The old door is off the outhouse from the farm where DH grew up.

{{gwi:181676}}
{{gwi:181677}}
I eventually got a paint job, shutters and a new roof.

{{gwi:181678}}
Finally the calf crates were removed, the junk cleaned out and some decorative accessories were added to one end while the other end is purely functional.

{{gwi:181679}}
This is the revamped shelving unit.

Before:

{{gwi:181680}}
After:

{{gwi:181681}}
{{gwi:181683}}
{{gwi:181684}}
{{gwi:181685}}

"Step into the potting shed. The air is warm and smells of earth. Terra-cotta pots tower in the corner like soup bowls on a kitchen shelf, hand tools hang in rows, bins of soil and peat moss beckon. And there are the seeds--in packets, in jars, in plain envelopes. The sprouting of seeds is the first job of the potting shed, but it is the place where gardeners grow, too.

Linda Joan Smith

"The Potting Shed"

Comments (37)

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Michelle, You have done wonders with the garden shed.I love it. I love the view out the window too.
    Its good you have a concrete floor. I'm thinking I need to paint the floor in my new shed to make it easier to clean up. Norma

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

What a nice way to start my morning!

V.

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Michelle: Miraculous change! It'll be wonderful to have a place to "escape" out of the elements. I see big heavy sweaters and lots of hot chocolate. (As well as thousands of baby plants!!)

Martie

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Michelle, this is absolutely wonderful! I'm just amazed at what a fantastic job you've done with that in such a short period of time. I'd just love to have something like that here. Fantastic!!! And I love what you've done with the shelving unit. Thanks very much for posting these pics.

Deanne

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Michelle, I love it! It's just my style. All the hard work you've been doing on this project has definitely paid off. What a haven you've created for yourself. And such a nice presentation you made for us too! Oh and that urn outside the potting shed door is looking lovely. Thanks for letting us see!

Eden

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Michelle, what a great transformation! You have done a great job. Chicken houses can also make nice homes. I lived in one after Tim was born. :-) One of my sisters and her husband had remodeled it into a home.They lived in it before we did.
    I espacially love all those windows, and the outside views.
    A neat place to work and reflect. And it so pretty from the exterior.

• just_t
    17 years ago

Michelle, I've loved the photos that you've shared of the potting shed. The transformation has been fun to see and is impressive. :o) I like the touches of 'pretty' that you've added to it.

T.

• irene_dsc
    17 years ago

Ooh - how wonderful! I'm moving into a home with a (much smaller) shed that needs quite a bit of love. And now I am wondering whether what it really needs is a window! (Not to mention getting rid of all the wasps...)

• saucydog
    17 years ago

What a great space! I want one!

You have done a wonderful job with the transformation.

Saucy

• lousit
    17 years ago

I loved your shed, it's beautiful outside and great, cozy and functionabile inside. I also loved the view through the window.

• grrlsmom_z5il
    17 years ago

Wow! What a wonderful place to escape to! You are sooooo lucky! (And I'm green with envy!LOL)

• yeonasky
    17 years ago

I love the shed. It was just storage and now it's a place to be. Wonderful. It makes me want one too. Did you use the outhouse door again? I couldn't tell. I also enjoyed the quote. I can almost smell the potting soil, touch the terra-cotta pots, and sense the life in the seed packs. Ah the pleasures of the soil and seed.

Yeona

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm glad you all liked the transformation. It has been a lot of work, but fun as well. It is very nice to have more room. I used it before, but only had less than 1/3 for my stuff.

Eden, that is my favorite container this year.

Yeona, good to hear from you. The quotes came from the book "The Potting Shed" The outhouse door is propped behind the white wicker chair.

Irene, we just added the windows on the left in picture #8. DH got them cheap and we put them in ourselves. I already had the 8 small windows, but they are all nice as you get nice garden views from the inside.

Michelle

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL I can't believe that none of you commented on the unused containers under the potting table. I could have done a few more. The urn that I picked up for $10 is sitting next to the wicker chair.

• martieinct
    17 years ago

No, Michelle, the pots are signs of things to come .... LOL

WhatI DID notice was handcream. Awesome idea!!

Martie

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

My first response was to the quotes...which must say something about me and my state of mind these days. Of course the transformation is fabulous and personal. A space of one's own is a valuable thing!

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

What a lovely retreat. I'm sure you will enjoy many hours in there - it is just beautiful. It reflects your personality - warm, welcoming, practical and pretty. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Mary

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

NIce job, Michelle. All the stored junk in the first couple of pictures might have scared me away...lol. What did you do with all that stuff? When I met Tom he had the greatest second floor screen/glass porch on his house but it was just filled with crap-old furniture, boxes, you name it. We cleaned it all out, painted it, fixed all the windows and screens and added furniture. I spent many enjoyable hours out there. I hope you do the same.

Sue

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sue, most of the junk is actually still in there, just more organized. The biggest factor was getting those metal stalls out of there. They ran down the middle of the shed and took up more than a 1/3 of the floor space and then the 1/3 that was behind them was basically unusable because it was too hard to access. I'm amazed the amount of equipment gardening involves.

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Michelle - belatedly reading thru some of these things -- I love your retreat/garden shed and am very envious. You've done a marvelous job - and that container outside - wow ! It truly rivals those cool ones we saw on the IU3 (the humongous ones) - you can rightfully give anyone a run in a contest w/ the healthy, lovely combos. Im going to picture you rocking away inside, enjoying a little quiet time.... beautiful.

-Cindy

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

What a great potting shed. Thanks for sharing the photos. I love the photo of the outside-it is so beautiful now-nice paint job and urn planting!

• CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

WOW that is so gorgeous. Totally my style too! I absolutely love it - all of it, the wicker chair, the pots waiting to be filled, the storage cabinate with the curtain.... etc....! You do an amazing job.

• balsam
    17 years ago

Michelle,
    I am soooooo jealous! But you did a beautiful job on your shed. Hmmm...gives me another winter project to contemplate, but my potting shed is really a greenhouse. Maybe I could still make it cozy. Yours is just too beautiful to even use ;) I think I'd be moving in there if I were you.

Balsam

• carolandkids
    16 years ago

My "garden shed" is an old three-seat outhouse that came from my mother's farmhouse. Before she sold the house, she called and asked if I wanted it -- we KNEW the new owners would tear it down. My brother-in-law put it on a snowmobile trailer and I gave directions long-distance on where it was supposed to go in my garden. My husband put a new roof on it and we painted it to match the barns.

It has THREE seats -- for two adults and a child to use the facility at the same time -- and it has a vent in the back. I store rakes and tomato cages in there and LOVE IT!

{{gwi:181686}}

Carol

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

How lovely to revisit this thread! I see Yeonasky and others whose posting names have changed.

Soon it will be time for Michelle and her granddaughter to get busy potting once more...

Carol, your three seater is a delight. At the time this thread began, our daughter had been married for 3 days. Her husband and brother built a two seater for the wedding festivities...

{{gwi:179025}}

The groom's Mom decided that it would have to stay near the back of the garden.

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carol, your outhouse turned garden shed is wonderful and the family connection is special. You have it decorated perfectly. Thanks for sharing it. I noticed that my finished shed picture is missing. So here it is.

{{gwi:181687}}

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

I love the 2-seaters and this is neat to see this thread again.

Michelle -- you should also post the photos of the Inside -- from the ones I think I saw somewhere else, I think is marvelous - I'd be happy to rent this out on a visit if I couldn't have your guest room! -- hey, we could all bunk there on an IU visit, LOL..

--Cindy

• chelone
    16 years ago

Hey Michelle, do you have any shots of your shed in the middle of the winter, swaddled in snow?

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here are a couple more. Chelone this is the only winter picture that I have online right now.

{{gwi:181688}}

{{gwi:181689}}
    {{gwi:181692}}

• Jerri_OKC
    16 years ago

Oh this is so beautiful! Good job. :)

Jerri

• chelone
    16 years ago

A totally cool little place to go hide and do what you want to do. I love the side table with the drawers.

How high up the side of the building was the snow this year? The snow on the evergreen is really pretty.

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Chelone, you'd be pleased to know that the table was a curbside find by DH. As for the snow it can get pretty deep here because the house and the evergreen trees are pretty close. I think there were 3' drifts in there this year.

• drema_dianne
    16 years ago

Awesome!

• User
    15 years ago

Michelle you have a treasure. And I love the outhouses !! Great stories too. Wish I had my Grandfather's hog barns and sheds...long long gone. c

• deanneart
    15 years ago

How fun to look back through this thread. So glad it's been bumped up. Your Potting Shed is a true treasure.

Deanne

• primgal36
    15 years ago

Love your shed, very nice indeed. I'm sure you spend many calming hours in there, taking care of business.
    What a great retreat from the stresses of this life.

• godsacre
    14 years ago

Michelle:
    Beautiful Potting Shed. I have to get one of those amish built movable sheds, but I want it to be big enough to house my 8ft long lawn tractor and do gardening or craft work comfortably. I love your windows and views. I want to have the sides 2/3rds covered in windows so that we can see through it from other vantage points including from the house, so that it does not completely obstruct the views.
    Thanks for the pics!
    Duane