Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
#231 ~Babs will start this one,T!

Posted by babsclare z5OH (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 26, 05 at 0:36

How's that T? lol

I'll bet I'm the only idyll still awake right about now: )....who else is as crazy enough as I am to still be conscious?

~B

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: #231 ~Babs will start this one,T!

An Idyll short enough to read. Thank you Babs. I have weather station too: Cats hugging lamps means winter is coming. Cold dog's ear means fleece is in order. Cats splayed on slate floor means hothothot. Cats in window = perfect weather.

V, the armored osage oranges will fall by themselves and be unharmed.

I have to tell you all the truth about myself that I found in a box in the attic. The box was labeled "office closet junk" and in it I found an article ripped from Boston Globe in 1992 called 'Saying goodbye to a houseful of Junk.' See the dichotomy? Apparently I've tried to clean out before and found some inspiration in the article 13 years ago. But not inspired enough to throw it out! No, I saved it. Sad commentary on my packrat ways.

It's cold this morning and still refusing to turn the heat on. It's not even November yet!

Cynthia

PS: Bella has grown so!

o

Good Morning everyone:-)
I remember Chet and Dave. I always loved to hear those words because it meant the news was done and something I wanted to see was coming on. I don't remember what now, probably Lassie:-)

Babs, sometimes I have those nights when I just can't sleep and I have to get up and do something.

Cold here too! I made granola last night and baked it overnight at 170 degrees. It smells good! DD & I are planning to try GB's oven dried tomatoes tonight. Wish I had a winter squash:-) We got our gardens out so late, the end of June, that we didn't have time for winter squash to mature.

I'm going to do my exercise, fix breakfast and start in on the apples. I hope we can get most of them done today.

I saw a picture of Bella for the first time. She is adorable!! Also saw the cactus, how pretty!!! SIL has rooted a cutting of hers for DH. I couldn't see V's pictures:-(
Have a great day everyone! GB, I hope your estate things go better. I was wondering about Deanne too and others.
VG

o
RE: #231 meant to say....

I meant to comment to Yeona about her poetic license. You would get along famously with my DS. He is always coming up with new words. You know how Cornish Game Hens are a "fancy" food? He came up with a gourmet food for Fred.. Henish Game Corn..:-)
And the perfect perennial for those difficult spots...Problemaira:-)

o

Cynthia and any lurkers that are greyhound lovers, please read the link below.

V.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greyhound group needs help

o

Hi everyone

yesterday was the greyest day I can remember, and we spent the afternoon doing our will :0( Hope today will be less gloomy. (Loved Bella's smiling face)

Mary

o

Good morning!

Good on 'ya, Babs! :o)

Cynthia, it was a wonderful treat to 'see' you this morning when I logged on.

Mary, I'm sorry you had a gloomy day yesterday. We've never made out a will and I think we are very foolish not to have one. I applaud you & your hubby for doing it.

VG, I like your son's 'words'. Fred looks to be like a fun pet to have around. We had 2 turkeys for awhile but when they began roosting on my car they were rehomed. We gave them to DH's aunt & uncle who promptly named them Thanksgiving & Christmas......I never considered inviting them to a family holiday meal. :o\

V, I read the link about the greys. If you see more about how it turns out, will you let us know?

More coffee needed I guess, Henry just came into the room, looked at me and then left. :o( I told you I scare small children & animals in the morning............

T.

o

It is possible to make your own will but you must have it signed. You can buy them for next to nothing at sationery stores around here. We wrote ours and got the lawyer across the street to sign it. Her husband was the witness. We told the children where it is located too.

But on that note, I am sad to say that yesterday Surrogate Court in NY state decided that mother died without a will. Now this is total BS. Mother was so thorough in planning her demise that she missed out on living! The reason court gave was that "probably" a witness left the room at the time of signing." This was not the case, but it is what they determined. All those years of mother's efforts thrown out the window. And so, after 8 months of fiddling around, we are off to try plan B to resolve the settling of her estate. It is so annoying because it is cruel and insulting. I am so glad she can never know. My brother is in NJ, my sister in France. With me in Canada, only my brother can petition. Meanwhile her banking and bills, investments etc cannot be paid or dealt with. To think this is one little old lady with the simplest and clearest of wills makes it all the more infuriating. This is precisely the kind of garbage she worked to avoid. The very last thing she wanted for us was to leave hassle behind.

Enough from me. Obviously I haven't gotten over the insult yet.

'bug

o

I am back and I had a very enjoyable trip to Dallas. Interesting conversation about the osage oranges. Around here we call them hedge apples. I have never noticed trees around here, but did see plenty as we drove thru Oklahoma.
We were able to visit the Dallas Arboretum which was fabulous and the Oklahoma City National Memorial. That was very touching and sad. I will probably post some pictures on a separate thread.

I have only skimmed, but have enjoyed the pictures. How can you not smile when you see that adorable Bella? I also love you visitor Norma and your grandson with the piata is absolutely adorable. Yeona I love the "Poetic License". The carrot is hilarious. Nice to hear from Chelone and Taryn. What a beautiful bunch of NE Idyllers. I cant tell you how envious I am that you can get together. I have also enjoyed the pictures for Cynthias birthday. I hope you had a special day as you are so special :o) Yesterday was my DDs birthday. I no longer have teenagers.

T, we have a wild turkey that is roosting on the top of our old corn crib lately. Maybe I should name him Thanksgiving but then neither DH or I are gun people.

Bug, sorry about the estate hassles.

Have a fantastic fall day

Michelle

o

So, Babs, was choosing the next tydll your idea of an idyll version of a chew and screw? lol Get back here and tell us what's been going on.

Marie, why would a court get involved in the validity of an existing will? Is someone contesting it? You would think they would have more pressing issues than harassing the relatives of people who have died. We don't have wills either-probably not a good plan but unless we die together I don't think it would be an issue except for the dogs. Maybe I'll leave them to Cynthia. I just read in the paper that CT has one of the worst set of estate laws in the country and it's best to domicile somewhere else when you retire. Florida was mentioned but who in their right mind would want to live somewhere where you might as well board up your windows from Sept-Nov? My mom is stopping in on Sarurday on her way down for the winter. I told her she might as well go early this year and maybe catch a hurricane or two in person.

Welcome back, Michelle!

Well the sun came out for a bit this morning but then went away again. I was supposed to go to a ribbon cutting ceremony at 11 but it was cancelled. Now I'm overdressed for what I have to do today and don't feel like driving home to change.

VG, Problemaira...lol.

Sue

o

Sue, the case is worse than I thought. It involves a new judge getting work for her assistant and paying off political debts. All the legal folk in the room are appalled. We are at work on Plan B, which ignores the unsrupulous duo. They were counting on the fact that the heirs were out of state.

I am waiting for winter wood to be delivered. It will need stacking before rain falls. I hope my back can deal with it.

It is cold and windy, but there are moments of sunshine. No, I wouldn't move to Florida either Sue, nor New Orleans, the San Andreas Fault, or many other spots. I'll endure cold. I am fortunate that I can choose. The rest of the world is not so lucky.

Charlotte is delighted: Her food was delivered this morning so all is well for the next two weeks. :-)

o

Not ignoring you this morning... been trying to cheer up some folks in other places... _T we both got a laugh out of your post... is it a self portrait? Our input to everyone is go to a lawyer and make sure all important documents are updated, signed and witnessed by legal staff.. including wills, powers of attorney, medical directives, and living wills. It can save a lot of grief when 'the dreaded time comes'. Any suggestions for disposing of a 30 year old Smith Corona electric typewriter or a 50 year old movie camera? I don't think even Goodwill or Salvation Army are interested in outdated machines. Hate to send them to the landfill. We watched the trash truck gobble up an ancient hide-a-bed from the early '70's. I once wrote a poem including these lines
"still the seasons come and go, new generations of all things; folks grow old and children grow, flowers bloom and birds still sing"...we all have to learn to 'go with the flow'... like it or not. Cheers to all!!! EP

o

Another fly-by from me.

EP, there is a group called Freecycle that is active in many parts of the country. You can post what you have to offer (typewriter and camera) and see if anyone is interested. You also might see if there is a typewriter repair business nearby that might want it for parts.

I did see a local request for a typewriter not too long ago, so someone still uses them!

V.

Here is a link that might be useful: Freecycle Southwest states

o

G'day! Our flock of wild turkey continues to scare the bejeesus out of every cat in the neighborhood, much to the delight of the fed birds. They must know that our lot is a sanctuary ...

It is a true New England October day and I, like Sue, am glad that they are finally here. Buzzed out to western CT this morning (Berkshire foothills) and it was a drop dead beautiful ride. I'm amazed that the colors have come in so well given a very late May freeze and no rain all summer.

So glad you got to see the OK Memorial, Michelle. I found that it put a lot of things into perspective ......

Cynthia and V. - Here in CT a greyhound track closed recently and had the same difficulty. Wish I had room for a running dog; a greyhound on our lot would go nutty.

Running on empty today, and am grateful that I can chill for a bit.

Everyone Stay Sunny!

Martie

o
RE: #231 this one's for VG!

VG, here's a link to my PT album for the gourd picture. I hope this works!

V.

Here is a link that might be useful: Out of my Gourd!

o

Thank you, V. I see both Grove and Pryor offer the service. I'll just try to find out where they are and call them. We are about in the middle in between those towns. I'll read and respond later. lots to do while the weather is so beautiful. EP

o

Norma, I saw your question about a potager. Here is how one of my gardening books describes it: The potager is a vegetable garden designed and planted to use edible plants in an ornamental way. Potagers are usually laid out in a decorative pattern. Select vegetables and herbs and a sprinkling of flowers with an eye to both taste and apperance.
That is my goal to have the veggie garden be more attractive and more fun.
Michelle

o

After reading here about everyone's mothers and MILs, whether mine, Babs', Chelone's or others, I think the issue of medical power of attorney and wills should be at the TOP of each of your lists. Even if you are only 25 years old! I for one would rather that charities of choice get any pennies I have left over than the government whose policies I just can't support all the time. I hate the idea of people I don't know questioning how I die or choose to end my days. The greatest gift you can give spouse or family is to have this information organized before the time comes. And who knows when and how that will be? DO IT NOW!

First pile of wood is stacked. I'm in for a break.
'bug

o

Sorry Sue,but I didn't think it was polite to talk with my mouth full; )
I'm in the middle of trying to update my pictrail photos and it's not an easy task. I got so way behind from when I was on dial up and couldn't spend hours uploading pics. It's much easier now: )
Also I've been in 'sew mode' making Halloween costumes for my goblins. AJ's going to be Obi-Wan Kenobi and Ryan is Yoda(both from Star Wars). Ryan's a riot-for a 4yr old he does a stellar imitation of Yoda's voice.

Is anyone else making kid costumes? Are any idylls dressing for Halloween festivities?

Norma I loved seeing Wyatt-he's sweet in that pic!
Eden-Little Bella seems to be less little! What are her latest feats?

'Bug that sounds like a mess! I hope somebody realizes they made an error and they leave you alone from more headaches.

I am dying to see sunshine-too much gloomy weather here!

~Babs

o

Babs, we enjoy hearing about your boys. Thanks for the update. EP

o

Babs - I'm losing my mind sewing Annie a cape out of very sheer spiderweb fabric, using invisible thread. Its impossible to unpick if there are mistakes, and I always need at least one go to get the lining in the right way. Heeeeeelp!!

GB - we'd put off doing our wills for too long. It feels good to have everything spelled out, who will care for our children and our health care proxies etc. Today I began my application for citizenship - I'm really ticking things off my to do list!

Ruth's husband is arriving from New Orleans tonight. Its the first time he's been able to get up here to visit since they arrived September 1st - he's missed his family terribly. He is going on from here to an interview in Washington DC so we are keeping our fingers crossed.

Hi to everyone else! I have a couple of errands before starting dinner - its been a busy day but at least its not raining - yay!

Mary

o

Just checking in .....
I'm not at my best , so am only going to put out a call for our missing members.

Ei ... I am worried about you . I hope you are hanging in there okay . I know this is a very hard time for you .

Janie , we haven't heard from you for a while . I hope all is well with you .

Woody , you didn't post on the last thread . Are you okay ?

Lisa , we haven't heard from you for awhile ...what's up ?

Da , it has been a long time since you last posted . Where art thou ?

Jerri , The same goes for you ...long time , no post from you .

Drema , I , too am wondering about you .

Then there are our newer gals ... Lauren StL , Sylvia (Lily316) , Nickey , and LilyLouise .

And where are our guys ? David , Bruce and Blackie ?

It would be great to hear from Lauren in Tas , too .

And how wonderful it would be if Saucy and jain would check in !

I was going to add Babs , but she's baaack ! Yay !

Okay ... that's all from me .

Marian

o

It may be still October but the weather has been more like November the last couple of weeks here - cold, gray, wet and thoroughly depressing! The hibernation urge is strong and I feel fatter! (Cold weather makes me inclined to bake sweet things) The forecast is finally calling for some sunnier, warmer weather for the next few days - I sure hope it happens as weve got lots of things left to do.

We got the gate hung on Sunday. Hopefully we can get the fence posts in this weekend although we may not actually get the fence itself in place. All the new garden areas have had the sod turned over. Adding the newspaper cover and chopped leaves is next week hopefully, weather permitting Today we were planting bulbs at the LTC care garden. We had 5 helpers so we got 380 bulbs in by noon, along with weeding one shrub border. Last year we put in about 700 bulbs so it was a piece of cake this year! Next week well probably be digging out two beds along patios to get them ready for planting vegetables next year. Watering is too erratic for the tomatoes to do well in pots so Ive convinced them that in the ground is better - but more work for us this fall to prepare the ground. They will let me know by the end of the week if the areas we chose are OK re no water system pipes in the way of where we want to dig!

GB - wow! What a pain re your mothers estate! I agree absolutely re everyone needing wills etc. In the early 1980s, I did financial planning for three years and doing estate plans and arranging wills etc. was a major part of it - too many people avoid the issue - planning for disability is another very neglected area that we dealt with. Pardon the lecture following but everybody should have:
- a will - preferably done by a lawyer if there is even the remotest possibility of issues or complexity in the estate. Before you do a will estimate the value of your estate, including all life insurance - private coverage, company benefits and government benefits. Most of us are worth more dead than alive and it can be surprising how much your estate can be worth. Doing that evaluation may alter how you may otherwise have thought you would distribute your assets. For larger estates and/or ones with a trust for minors, it is worth considering naming a trust company (or whatever the US equivalent is) as the executor, with or without a personal co-executor(s). And review your will at least every 5 years, including making a new estimate of value - it can change faster than you might think.
- a property power of attorney - who would manage your financial affairs if you were unable to do so?
- a personal care power of attorney - who would make medical decisions for you if you were unable to? What direction/guidance do you want to give them re the do not rescuitate type situations/decisions?
****end of lecture**** :-)

Re New Orleans - there was an interesting little note in the McGill University (Montreal) alumni magazine that came yesterday. They have 9 students from Tulane there now. Apparently Tulane is closed until at least January and universities across the US and Canada have taken in the students. The students are being charged the same tuition as Canadian students and not the usual, higher foreign student fees. GB - are there Tulane student at DHs university too? I thought it was interesting because it was another aspect of that whole situation that I hadnt thought of or heard about

Marian - Im fine - just cranky with the weather :-)

o

Woody , I copied and pasted your information to our documents file. Thanks. Re the 'no CPR' here if admitted for surgical procedure and want that included on consent form it has to be made known at the time and written by the physician in authority. I isn't automatically observed if it is written in the medical directive. This is to cover those who are in direct care during the procedure. BTW if I am ever 'absent' I feel it is nice to be missed but sometimes people have personal reasons not to post.. even tho we do think of everyone. We don't normally communicate by email unless we have a specific reason. I've noticed this type of concern on other forums too. We will have a busier than usual next few weeks so might not be posting frequently. thanks. EP

o

It is definitely fall here, edging towards winter. The sun began to part the clouds this morning, and it was sunny but cool by this afternoon.

Predicted lows tonite are 34-35, no frost yet (This was determined after I checked the weather forecast on the 3 major networks and weather.com - I'm not obsessed, just thorough!). I'm leaving my few tender plants out a little longer, but they are on standby on the deck waiting to be lugged inside. I agree with you Sue, even though it is cool, the plants are happier outside than they would be inside. BTW Sue, the brugs cuttings perked up and are looking great.

Martie, I think you should definitely join us next time, for brunch or whatever, we had a wonderful time! I've seen your thread on the New England forum about visiting Logees in January, and I am tempted. I love their catalog, but I have never been there.

Mary and Babs, I admire your talent sewing costumes for your kids. I think the sewing gene skipped a generation - my mother is very talented, but I'm lucky if I can sew on a button. My mom made costumes for my kids when they were small; I especially remember the draw-string pumpkin costume complete with matching stem cap that they both wore when they were infants. My son accused me today of forgetting about Halloween because we have not bought a pumpkin yet! DH promised to take him after school tomorrow. DD is almost 11 now, and has declared herself "too old" for trick-or-treat. At least she is too young for eggs and shaving cream!

Have a great nite all!

-Wendy

o

EP - and others who may be interested in the personal care POA - the wording can/should cover a wide variety of situations. The key wording in ours incorporates both standard wording that the law firm uses generally and wording I wanted based on my experiences over the past 8 years of dealing with issues relating to my particular health situation. It is very common here now for hospitals to ask for who has the personal care POA for you and certainly things like 'do not resuscuitate' are noted in the records. Long-term care facilities are pretty adamant that they need a record of who has the personal care POA and a copy for their records. For anyone not familiar with these things, here's an example of what the key wording might look like:

If at any time I should have a physical and mental condition and if my attending physician has determined that there can be no reasonable expectation that medical treatment will assure my recovery from such physical and mental condition, I want such treatment discontinued and be permitted to die naturally with only the administration of medication deemed necessary to provide me with comfort or to alleviate pain. Measures for extending life that I particularly do not wish, and which are to be withheld, withdrawn or discontinued, include:
(a) electrical or mechanical resuscitation of my heart;
(b) nutritional feedings - however for clarification, the provision of oral fluids should be continued in order to give comfort;
(c) artificial mechanical respiration where my brain can no longer sustain breathing;
(d) radiation, chemotherapy and similar forms of treatment; and
(e) treatment for an illness or disease which I contracted when I was already afflicted with a terminal illness
unless, in the opinion of my attorney for personal care, any such treatment is intended to give me comfort or to alleviate pain.
It is my desire to receive medication at regular intervals and in whatever dosage is needed to control pain.

However unpleasant or uncomfortable it is to think about things such as willls and POAs, they are essential things for you and your family and you need to think about them - and get them in place, or update them. They are important gifts from you to your loved ones.

o

Marian Thanks for checking up! We are in the midst of renovating our kitchen, so Im spending most of my spare time on the kitchen and appliance forums. DW is swamped at work and unable to help as much as she would like. Im taking tomorrow off to schedule contractors, order a window, check out appliances and countertops, and maybe start ripping out the drywall.

The shade garden loves our recent wet weather. DW kept the ferns alive during the drought, so Im looking forward to spring. I need to bury the potted rose Bubble Bath if I want it to survive the winter. It smells lovely.

I was reading Rick Darkes book on Arts & Crafts gardens (In Harmony with Nature). It inspired a vision of how to integrate the planned addition with the garden by building a vine-covered pergola. We will need to finish the kitchen and build the addition before I get a chance to garden again, but inspiration will be there when time allows.

Best wishes to all idyllers. I hope to return more regularly in January.

o

Hi Babs. Looking forward to seeing the boys in those costumes.

Eden, Bella is a doll.

GB, I am mad about your problems with your mothers will too. That is just not fair.

Welcome back Michelle. Glad you had a good time. Thanks for explaining a potager garden for me.

Mary, good for you, getting inportant things done. I should follow your lead. I can imagine a very happy family reunion this evening. Wishing him luck on the interview.

Marian, well done. Recalling the missing. Hope you are back to your chipper self soon.

Woody, good info you have shared.
Seems you have still managed to get some stuff done, despite the weather.

V, nice crop of gourds. Should make some nice bird houses.

I was able to take a long walk this morning, but at half speed. Was thinking my back was on the mend. Then spent a very frustrating three hours cleaning up water. grrr! Went down to put wood in the stove and heard water running in the basement. Checking further I found the storage area flooded with water which was coming from upstairs. Came back up to check and found water in the utility room. I was doing a load of laundry. Apparently something went wrong with the washer. It has been sounding like it had a bearing going out for awhile. :( It figures, I just bought a new vacumn yesterday. Needless to say after moving so much stuff and mopping up water, my back is hurting big time again.
So I am doped up with Ibuprofin and bio freeze and am headed to bed.

Catch you all later. Norma

o

Aw Norma, so sorry about your flood and especially your back! Appliances can sure be tiresome. They tend to break at the same time! I fear the day when my kitchen dies.

I am thinking of the reunion at Mary's tonight. It has been a long and difficult time for this family! The children will be very happy I imagine. Will Ruth dance in her purple shoes? :-)

In the back of my mind, I am trying to think of activities to encourage me through winter. For now, the clean-up of the gardens, the stacking of wood, the painting downstairs...all that will keep me busy. But after Christmas I must find some things I love to do, not things I HAVE TO do. It has been too long since I have read non-gardening books, needlepointed or knit, written a letter on paper and placed a stamp on the envelope! I will ponder this.

Years ago I had a jigsaw, Mary. Three friends got together with small children and worked together on projects. With our jigsaws, we made chalkboards for our kids. Mine was in the shape of a whale. Later I painted it with green chalkboard paint and mounted it on our basement wall so they could make pictures and play games while I did laundry. It was fun to do and at stage of my life when it was good to get out of the house!

Today unexpected guests showed up and brought a rich gooey cake with whipped cream topping which I was expected to devour with them. I now have major heartburn... and am annoyed because I didn't want any in the first place! Drinking tea with them was not enough. They meant well, but...

Sweet dreams everyone!
'bug

o

So I keep thinking that tomorrow I will catch up, but then tomorrow comes and...

Tonight's issue is the vomiting dog. Not a serious health issue yet, but very time-consuming! Mystic is the one with the bad tummy, and Sunrise is immensely jealous of the extra attention he is getting - so much so that she nipped me hard on the arm trying to get attention from me. Well, she got my attention all right but probably not the way she wanted it!

I have one to add to the made-up word collection. My brother came up with irragitate, a combination of irritate and agrivate. I still use it occassionally, like tonight when I find Sunrise's behavior irragitating!

Marian, thanks for the roll call of the "missing". Sometimes when I am so far behind, I don't realize who we haven't heard from in a while.

Mary, best wishes to your BIL for his interview.

Woody, Tulane and several smaller schools in the Gulf Coast area are closed for the entire semester and their students are spread out at many universities. Even Havard took in some students! I heard on NPR yesterday about another unexpected consequence; folks who were in jail for relatively short sentences have not been released on time because the records are lost or inaccessible. DH and I and another couple may go to NO for New Year's. It sounds like there should be a reasonable number of places open in the French Quarter by then and we figure that the tourist dollars will be needed. All four of us have been there before, love the city and would love to help it get re-established.

Our weather has been cold enough for frost (and the cold has killed the coleus, etc.) but no actual frost yet. I'm wondering if there isn't enough moisture in the air for frost? We continue to have very dry weather and to miss most of the rain in the area.

Okay, time to get ready for bed!

V.

o

I may do an 'EP' and disappear for a few days , at least until the middle of next week . So don't worry about me if I don't post . I need to get some cobwebs cleaned out of my brain !

Marian

o

Sleep deprivation...

I was awoken sometime about 11:00 by the sound of fireworks. Took me a little while to realize the Sox had won the World Series and I was hearing the sounds of celebration - yes, even way out here, far away from da Sout' Side.

Then at 4:15 the SECOND dog decided to get sick... And I had to clean up after the first dog. No sense going back to bed now. The vet will be called as soon as the office opens, and in the meantime the white rice is cooling in the kitchen. It's going to be a looooong day.

V. (yawn)

o

Good morning! As a newbie here, glad to know who else is a part of this great group.

I checked out Brent and Beckys Bulbs. Fantastic! Any other ideas, particularly for species tulips?

Wendy and All: The Logees trip planned for January 22 is open to anyone who can get to Danielson, CT at 9:30am on that date. I've picked up fellow gardeners at the airport, or made reservations for weekend getaways, a lot of times before and would be THRILLED to do so again.

About Wills and Probate Courts: As the Conservator for my adult brother who is severely mentally ill and has one of only 200 "permanent" beds in the State of CT, DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO TO GET EVERYTHING STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU NEED IT. The process is long and obstacles are thrown up all along the way to "ensure that all parties are privy to fairness." We actually have two sets of everything -- one with an attorney and one with a family member. We have also placed our medical documents with several local hospitals just in case .... Make sure EVERY i is dotted and t is crossed.

On a happier note: DS has a Tulane student with him in his dorm and is learning about the wonderful world of gumbo. The poor kid has no winter clothes at all, we some of the moms have "adopted" him with gift certs to stores. What an adventure for him!!! He's adapting but can't get used to those kids whose local dialects drop "R's." That combined with his Cajun cracks everyone up :-)

Halloween costumes: were a huge part of my Autumn for a long time. The fete-de-resistance was a dinosaur with 6' long stuffed tail. Problem was that little (at that time) DS almost tipped over backwards -- but it is still in the family and is now considered an heirloom.

Potagers: Beware the design :-) I love them, but always forget that veggies get picked and the look changes constantly. A well-done potager is a sight to be hold.

It's really Fall, here. Finally! Off to enjoy the day.

Marian: Hurry back!

Martie

o

Marian, we wish you a safe winter. We are getting ready to 'snuggle in'. Been thinking it's getting time to get out the rice packs and put the electric space heater on standby and lay a fire in the wood burning stove in event the power goes off. Have all kinds of creative things to do. It's just that as everyone grows up and grows older priorities change, abilities change, and needs change. Ten years ago we were learning to use our first computer. We didn't have online service for several years. Now, we are chit chatting online globally. I feel completely fullfilled but need to keep growing. Still lots to do and learn. EP

o

Hi Marian! I'm sorry you were worried about me...I'm okay, just clearing a few cobwebs myself! Hope you feel better too! Ei

o

Good morning!

V, sorry to read that you have a pair of hurling dogs. :o( On one of my quilt lists a lady mentioned that both of her dogs were ill, one for a couple days then the next one got it. Coincidence that it has happened for yours also.

New weather station says the low last night was 33.4 F. Brrrr. I need to build a fire in the living room woodstove once it gets light enough outside to find the woodpile. Hey, I have an excuse to put off almost any job that takes me outside in the cold when it is still dark enough to trip over an elk....

DH was clearing brush a couple weekends ago and found an area, under a cluster of cedar trees, where the briars were surrounding an open area. There was animal scat (droppings) against the trees, so he figures it was a bear's 'den'. We've never seen a bear while living here, so the idea that one is living so close by is a bit interesting. We've seen a cougar once, a bobcat two or three times, bald eagles often, raccoons, porcupine, coyotes (too often), deer & elk. A bear would look nice on that list, just once.

EP, nope that wasn't really me in yesterday morning picture....this is me. :oD

Off to get another cuppa......

T.

o

Martie, did you get frost last night? I was out to a work related dinner and didn't get home til almost 10:30. Just as I got into my jammies and comfortable in bed, the 11 o'clock news came on and said frost advisory. So I leaped out of bed, tossed on some yard shoes and went running around the garden dragging pots of Brugmansia and bananas into the garage and screen porch. Some pots were so heavy, two of us had trouble lifting them. Naturally we didn't get any frost but supposedly we will tonight. At least everything is secure for now. Hopefully I can start putting it away for good this weekend.

V, what do you think is wrong with the pooches? My boss just had a problem with his dog. Their regular vet couldn't figure out what was wrong for a couple of days then had to refer them to the emergency vet (ch-ching!)Unfortunately she had eaten something plastic and it got lodged in her intestine. She's a shitzu (I know I've massacred the spelling of this) so only weighs about 8 or 10 pounds. Surgery was required as well as a few days in critical care....$5000 later...she's on the mend and minus 10 inches of intestine. Boy has he taken some abuse from some of the guys around here...lol. I told him he never should have told anyone what he spent. He's a real cheapskate too but they really love the dog and his wife was just beside herself. Oh well, hopefully a simpler solution for you.

Congrats on the world series win to all you Chicago folks.

T, you really are quite a sight in the morning lately.

Gotta run, auditors will be here at 11.

Sue

o

Strange, my friend's son just lost his dog to swallowing a sock. These pooches are dangerous to themselves!

o

I'm not sure that my potager will ever be all that beautiful, but the brick will give it a nice clean edge which has been a source of frustration for me.

Halloween costumes: My kids loved dressing up and my mom usually sewed them. This year DD bought one for Kenzie. She is going to be a pink poodle. Imagine that my animal loving daughter is dressing my granddaughter up as a puppy LOL

V, sorry about the mess :o(

Would you believe that we have 3 typewriters that need a new home. A manual, an electric and a self correcting electric.

Later
Michelle

o

Temp has dropped to 30.9 F. I think this weather station is going to be fun to watch.

o

Okay, we have an afternoon vet appointment. I will take an extended lunch and run home to check on him.

Sue, I worried about the "something lodged" scenario, but since both ends seem to be flowing freely I don't think that's the issue. Also, his belly doesn't seem to be tender. I would suspect some sort of bug or parasite that he picked up from eating something nasty outside. I'd like reassurance that this isn't anything more serious and I think we need the doggie version of Pedialyte to keep him from getting dehydrated.

did I tell you he wouldn't eat the rice? And after I cooked it for him at 4:30 in the morning!

Marian, I hope you're feeling up to snuff again soon!

V.

o

Just in for a moment, to eat something and defrost my digits! I've collected four bushels of crabapples from the lawn to throw away, cut back a bed of peonies, baptisia, columbine, foxgloves, etc and then mowed an area of lawn.

Good luck with the dogs V, I hope it isn't an expensive visit, just a reassuring one!

So much to do, so little time!

Later,
'bug

o

Hi Marian, sorry the weather is getting you down.

Things are pretty quiet. We still haven't had frost here. The weather people said we probably would get frost last Tuesday so I got brave and cut my brug back. It was scary but I think I did it right. I read on the Brug Forum how to root the cuttings in a bucket of water with an aquarium pumb and air stone. I have fifteen cuttings rooting in the basement. I put the original tree in the garage for now.

This weekend is supposed to be sunny and 60s so I'm going to shred leaves to put on the flower beds. That's my plan at least.

Woody I'm glad your fence project is coming along. Keep your fingers crossed, DH says I can get another horse whenever I want. I'm sure I'll wait until next spring but it's something to look forward to.

V, I loved the picture of your gourds. If it were me I'd probably leave them on that table all winter. I hope your pups are better. Poor guy must feel pretty bad to turn down rice.

Eden, Bella is so cute. I bet you have alot of fun with her.

Well, lunch is over, better get back to work. Hope everyone is having a good day

Nickey

o

Mary-is it imperative that you use the invisible thread? I wish I could see exactly what you are working with fabricwise. Is the fabric slippery to work with? Could the problem be that you need some paper stablizer to help you sew the seam?? I wish I could be right there: ( Let me just hop in my car...lol

Michelle you've GOT to post the little pink poodle pic! She's going to be adorable. Can she bark?

Martie the 6' tail story had me smiling! Good that you are holding onto it-that really IS an heirloom! My mom still has a clown and a 'chinaman' costume made by my great, great grandmother! I have my own costume collection...a deer(that's a pretty spooky character to me!), Barney,& a squirrel-all costumes that I eitehr had to draft my own pattern or I improvised various parts. I even made an elephant costume for a friend...it's nerve wracking but fun too lol.

I just learned that my GGGM lost her husband when he was 30yrs old to tuberculosis and she was then forced to work as a seamstress or a teacher-she chose seamstress. I didn't realize where my sewing genes came from-kind of neat that the skill lives on in my family. Ialso found out from my mom that my GGGF was a coachrider for the eastern pony express-kind cool.

Wendy tell your 11 yr old your friend Babs is 41 and if she could get away with it she'd still go trick or treating!! lol. (I WOULD!) I hope you have that pumpkin by now; ) Yikes we have 6 to carve by Monday....costumes aren't even finished.I like to work under pressure(?)

Howdy Bruce-Thanks for mentioning that book. I want to look that one up since I am an Arts and Craft movement enthusiast and Arts and Crafts gardening sounds so interesting. I'm excited because our art museum is having a visiting exhibit on the Arts and Craft Movement.

Hi Ei and the rest! Here's comes AJ's bus!

Ta,
~Babs

o

Waiting on word from the vet. Mystic is very dehydrated and his body temperature was dropping. He's on IV and getting blood work, x-rays, etc. as they try to find out why.

In one of life's finer moments, we walked in the door and he decided to have diarrhea ALL OVER the reception area. As a young mother with two small children and a bulldog recovering from surgery were trying to leave. The "Grace Under Pressure" award goes to the tech who got a sample before it was all cleaned up.

Now I'm waiting. Can you tell I'm worried?

Babs, I also have Rick Darke's In Harmony With Nature book and highly recommend it. It's a beautiful, interesting and inspiring book. The paperback is not terribly expensive.

Back to waiting...

V.

o
RE: #231 ~update

The vet called. Good news is that the x-ray showed no intestinal blockages, etc. His phosphorus and Vitamin D levels are very elevated, but no obvious answer as to why. He's going to spend the night there on IV and get himself rehydrated. I won't sleep well tonight. Now I'm off to DD's choir concert.

V.

o

Sorry V-I meant to tell you earlier(before the squeak of bus brakes)that I am sorry Mystic is not well. I imagine your worry is terrible: ( Hugs to you and gentle ones to Mystic too)Poor baby.
I hope DD's concert is enjoyable and calms your worries somewhat. AJ's first instrumental concert will be in December....hopefully that's enough time for him to sound angelic on his clarinet! I am terrible because with my father as my music teacher I've really retained what he taught me...and I can't help myself from wanting to teach AJ everything I know! I need a large roll of duct tape so I don't drive AJ nuts lol. He's coming along well though and I can tell he's proud to be learning clarinet. Grandpa would be proud: )

Sue, you watching Survivor tonight?

Darn, my throat hurts and I've got chills...

Off to check out that Arts & Crafts book!

~B

o

I too will be anxious for news on Mystic, well both dogs actually! Poor girls. Poor V! What could they have gotten into? Please keep us posted.

o

V - I hope Mystic will be OK - sounds like you got him to the vet at the right time!

o

phew V! I'd been keeping watch and waiting for the call back. "Empty" can be very a useful word to clear the mind and quiet the worries about unknowns.

P-U! daughter is stinking up the entire parlor floor; polishing daddy's toenails orange and black :) now she's on to the fingernails
da ha ha she just said "next we're going to discuss eyeshadow"

yo, I gotta go open the door for some ventilation

o

As we speak, Babs. Immunity at stake right now.

V, good thoughts for Mystic. At least he's in capable hands.

Looks like frost tonight for sure. I've got one more Brug to get into the garage, and one cutting to take. The Abutilons and Fuschias are on their own but since I have to cut them back severely, a bit of top frosting won't be fatal.

OK, back to the regularly scheduled program.

Sue

o

V, I hope they find Mystics problem soon. Did I read your post right? Is Sunrise sick too? I'm worrying with you.

Sue, it just seems wrong for a vet bill to be $5000 dollars. I feel for your boss. As much as I love my animals I don't think we could swallow a $5000 dollar vet bill. (But if I had plenty of money I definitely would). I guess that would be a good case for insurance, wouldn't it. But I bet that ain't cheap either.

Good news is my washer is not leaking water. Bad news is it was the drain pipe in the wall that had fallen apart. Had to cut holes in the drywall to get to it. I was planning on putting beadboard around the bottom half when I repaint in there anyway so thats not such a big problem. It will be hidden behind the washer until then. Thanks to the internet I looked up my washer and figured out how to get the front panel off to check for leaks. I was doubtful it was the washer because there was much more water in the basement than the utility room.

Babs, interesting that your GGGM was a seamstress too. To bad about her hubby though. Lifespans back then were not nearly as long as these days.

We went to town to pick up plumbing supplies tonite and went to the new Pasta House. I had my favorite. Rigitoni Carabonara, but by the time I had my salad and roll, I barely made a dent in the rigatoni. My stomach has shrunk since I've been watching what I eat. I know , I shouldn't have had pasta, but I have been being really good. I just need to get back to being able to power walk. Today I just wandered around in the woods slowly with the dogs. I found an old linement bottle near the old foundation. Unfortunately it was broken at the bottom. It read "DR. Classes" on one side and linamint on the other. Sort of a lavender color glass. I wish it hadn't been broken. And in another area of the woods that I seldom get to, I found several old broken mason jars. My thoughts were of an old still. LOL. I have a vivid imagination.

Wishing all well. Take care. Norma

o

V, glad that Mystic is being taken care of, thanks for letting us know. Hope you are enjoying the concert and not worrying about the dogs too much.

Eager to see photos of the little ones in their Halloween costumes. Jamie will be a tiger this year and has been practicing growling. Little ones are a lot of fun.

o

Me again for the umpteenth time. I thought I should clarify what's going on with Sunrise. She did throw up this morning but she's totally fine now. We have always called her "Bulimic Dog" because she throws up a lot but then thirty seconds later, she's acting as if nothing ever happened. But I was a bit panicked this morning when she was hurling right on top of Mystic's illness.

Julie, thanks for a great smile! Let us know how the eye shadow turned out, okay? My niece painted her dad's toes once, and then someone squealed at the Rotary Club meeting and he had to take off his shoes and parade around the room barefoot!

Thanks so much to everyone for all your good thoughts for Mystic.

o

T the same goes for you-if you get a pic of Jamie you know we want to see it: ) We definitely need some seasonal pics here: ) HEy Where's Deanne?

Norma yeah I was intrigued that all the 'womenfolk' in my immediate family are pretty accomplished seamstresses and I didn't realize it went so far back-I think we have a knack for engineering-it's that analytical mind thing. Now I want to know more about my GGGGM(alotta 'G's there lol). All this surfaced becasue AJ had a heritage project for Social Studies and we started asking my mom for info. Isn't it amazing that had my GGGF lived now,he most would have been cured;as many other 'afflictions' also would have?
And speaking of historical stuff I'd bet a lavander glass bottle is worth something!? A missing bottom might make a difference though lol. I believe the aqua and amber mason jars are valuable. I love seeing stuff like that and I imagine what the person was doing when they discarded such things. Maybe they were tossing the jars when the lawman came to bust them! When I get a moment I'll have to photograph & post this cool lemonade bottle from my grandmother-bottles were so ornate 'back in the day'. My mom also has a brown glass bottle from hair color that my brother found in the woods near a cemetary when he was young.
Lastly Norma, good for you trying to figure out how to deal with the leaking pipes-you've got an analytic mind too! It sounds like you had a bit of a mess on your hands.

Woody I heard you big time when you mentioned you're eating habits change this time of year-I can count on gaining five pounds(at least). I'm hoping to curb my urges this year-it does get harder as we age plus Halloween candy doesn't help or extra helpings at Thanksgiving or Christmas....New Years...lol.

Mary is either sewing like a fiend or she missed my post-I want to call you on the telly just to make sure you're sewing is going better! Oh I forgot, you're probably getting ready for the big reunion? I'm so happy they'll be back together again-that's has been such a long time to be missing his family and vice versa(though lucky they've been in such good, loving hands).

I am psyched for SUNSHINE by Saturday...whether I'm sick with whatever I'm getting or not,I'm going for a nature walk and taking my camera.

Julie as long as adding a bra to the mix isnt mentioned I think it's harmless...lol.

~Babs

o
Blah Blah blah(Babs)

I know you'd want to know...I BOUGHT the Rick Darke book! Do we know that Bruce *doesn't* work for a publishing company?(just kidding) lolol oooh maybe V was in kahoots with him; )

o

All good thoughts to Mystic and those who love him/her.

Frost here yesterday and today -- tonight a "light" freeze is predicted. Will pile a few more inches of mulch onto the roses.

The clocks turn back this weekend!! The official beginning of stews and warm blankets season.

Any pics of costumed kids would be great!!! I miss the fun of last minute amendments to keep them on and kids able to see and move. 10-year-old neighbor borrowed old costume I made of the white and gold Power Ranger. I feel for Mary, a spool of gold thread is about equivalent to one seam of invisible :-)

Norma: My ex-house's property was once a dumping ground for cars used to run rum. Archeology students from local university used the area to practice and we found some very cool (and sometimes scary) things. It's all history, no matter what the purpose. From what I know, lavender glass is unusual...

Long drive this morning so need to get up and at'em.

Later, folks!!!

Martie

o

TGIF!

First frost last night. It's all over now til next March.

Off to hang out in our main parts warehouse for the day-have a good one.

Sue

o

Frost on roofs and grass here this morning too - not sure if it was heavy enough to be a killing frost though.

Cooking day here today - making mincemeat with the green tomatoes we harvested yesterday in anticipation of the frost. Also going to make low fat plum pudding (this one will be eaten now - will make others for Chistmas...) We love this recipe - no need to wait for Christmas for this great dessert! Also plan to make chicken pot pies with leftover boiled chicken. See - cold weather comes and I get the urge to cook....

o

Good morning, and I second that TGIF!!

V, hope today sees Mystic feeling better.

Babs & V, I have that Rick Darke book too, I love it. I admire the Arts & Crafts style; beautiful in its simplicity.

Norma, good for you for figuring our your plumbing problem.

Ugh, turning the clocks back is something I don't look forward too. It means that I have to commute home in the dark soon; makes the work day feel even longer.

Woody & Babs, I tend to eat more this time of year too, I think it is some kind of instinct, don't the bears fatten themselves up for hibernation?! Will have to try to watch it though - all things in moderation...

We still have not had frost, but soon I know. Forecast for Halloween is in the 50's, good for the kids. I remember years that it was cold and/or rainy, it really puts a damper on the festivities.

Well, off to work I go.

-Wendy

o

Yes Woody, frost here too and ALL the leaves fell at once from the black walnut trees. I gather ginkos do this too.

How's Mystic today?

I have some old bottles found on our property and elsewhere too. Mostly booze I suspect, but one Elmer's glue bottle. Remember those? Never have seen a lavender one though.

Lots on my plate today too, so talk to you all later,
'bug

o
Your old computer...

Unusable equipment is being donated or
sold to developing nations as a way to dodge the expense of having
to recycle it properly. While the report, written by the Basel
Action Network, based in Seattle, focuses on Nigeria, in western
Africa, it says the situation is similar throughout much of the
developing world.

...more than 63 million computers in the United States will become
obsolete in 2005. An average computer monitor can contain as much
as eight pounds of lead, along with plastics laden with flame
retardants and cadmium, all of which can be harmful to the
environment and to humans.

At the Nigerian port of Lagos, the new report says, an estimated 500
containers of used electronic equipment enter the country each month,
each one carrying about 800 computers, for a total of about 400,000
used computers a month. The majority of the equipment arriving in
Lagos, the report says, is unusable and neither economically
repairable or resalable.....

By Laurie J. Flynn

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/24/technology/24junk.html

o

We had a whirlwind of activity yesterday! DH had therapy so DS was clearing the path to the dirt pile while DD and I were trying tofinish up the applesauce canning. Just after DH got home, my Dad called. They had gone out to eat and their car wouldn't start when they got ready to go home. So DH and DS had to go rescue them. They got the car running, brought them here and finished fixing the car. That was about 2 p.m. and DH informs me that Dear Cousin said if we need to use the tractor/front loader it has to be NOW because Friday it's going on the mountain to start hauling Christmas trees. DH got the tractor and he, DS and I (DD was in the middle of making the weekly batch of whole wheat bread) dug everything out of the flower bed section--- several wheelbarrow loads of daffodils and other bulbs, and perennials. He dug out the topsoil with the frontloader, hauled the other soil, replaced the topsoil and leveled the area. Then we used the frontloader as a ladder and picked 3 bushels of apples out of the very top of the tree. He returned the tractor, I cooked off 8 more quarts of applesauce and juice and we were ready for Bible study by 7 p.m.!!

So today I have to get out there and work on that flower bed as much as possible.

GB, we made the oven dried tomatoes and they are yummy!! DH didn't like them which means more for me and DD:-) DS is allergic to tomatoes. I snipped some up and made a sandwich spread with them, basil, oregano and Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese. Oh was it ever good!!! I sure hope things are going better with your mother's estate.

T, I don't blame you for rehoming (I like that word!) the turkeys. Fred & Sebastian tried roosting on the front porch last winter but that didn't go over very well:-) Eeek! about the bear! My cousin regularly has them tearing down his bird feeders. I always hope they never figure out that we have blueberries and come across the ridge to our place!

Michelle, glad you had a safe and pleasant trip to Dallas.

V, I followed the link to the gourd picture but instead of pictures there were only white squares. I need to talk to DS and see if he can tell me what to do to unblock what I managed to block:-( I do hope your Mystic is OK.

Mary, I can just imagine Ruth's joy at seeing her DH after such a long time. My DH used to work on the road before we all started going with him and would only come home every 6 weeks. I hated it.

Woody, you folks are doing an amazing work at the LTC!! Good luck with the rest of your fence project.

I am not a seamstress!! My mom was until she developed macular degeneration. So sad for her!

Norma, glad the washer is Ok but I'm sure fixing the drain was no fun either. At least it wasn't in the middle of a winter storm:-)

Sue, it takes willpower to jump our of bed and go out into the cold to get plants in. We had our first frost a couple of nights ago. DS and DD were out about 9 p.m. gathering peppers and tomatoes.

Hi Nickey, hope your brug cuttings root:-)

Babs, that is SO fascinating about your ancestors!! I'm a genealogy nut myself and have been gathering information on my and DH's families for many years. DD is into to it also which pleases me:-) How nice that AJ is learning clarinet and I'm sure Grandpa would be proud. My dad was a semi-professional guitarist and is very pleased that DS plays. Hope you're not taking a cold!

Martie, what scary things did the students find??

I am missing Deanne, Brenda, and others.
VG

o

No frost here yet. We had a fun day yesterday, driving around enjoying scenery, making soup, working outside. Marie... that link is very interesting... thanks. Woody... I made some green tomato mince meat last week... my recipe is vegetarian... out of an old Spry cookbook that belonged to Partner's grandmother.. and I also have a recipe I made up myself when I didn't have green tomatoes, using apples, raisens, and orange juice. Both are in small amounts. I use it mostly in a cookie recipe which is a favorite. Yesterday, I was thinking of my sister who made a delicious candy called 'Aplets'. I found the recipe and will share the link. The web page is about the history of some of America's favorite foods. Also shares the history of Whoopee Pies, (I saved Sue's recipe but still haven't tried making any), Tacos, Indian fry bread, Spam, and other tasty products. The apple candy originated in Washington State so thot of _T. Food brings the world together. We have changed our eating habits a lot too since we have no family to feed except during special get togethers. When the offspring married they began leaning toward the preferences of their mates and cooking their own way. I passed on all the fun things like cooky presses and cutters and extra pans. It took me over 30 years to convince Partner that anything 'green' was edible. Then, after 'retirement' convincing him that he was competent to use the microwave, coffee pot, and toaster. He's learned lots of new 'tricks' and so have I. I promise not to use his weed eater if he doesn't bother my sewing machine. It's working out so far.... hope all will find comfort when needed and pleasure in life's moments. When I previewed my message the link that came up was the one I saved from Marie's post, not the one that I intended to share.. so I'll end this, start over, and post it on the recipes and exchanges thread. EP

o
RE: #231 ~Babs will start this one,T!/veggie girl

VG.. your post came up after I submitted. Your sharing is interesting to read. Babs...I am convinced that we all have 'inherent tendencies' and 'genetic memory'. I was surprised to learn that some of my own sewing skills were things that I have come by 'naturally' and that 'others before me' did things in similar ways. It's interesting to learn about ourselves and others. My best friend and distant cousin who lives nearby says 'we are peas in pod' but she is 21 years older and we never knew of one another before we moved here. Have met many of similar quality. Mary... some cousins in the south were hit hard by the hurricane. Sad to hear. Wish all a strong recovery. Cheers to all !!! EP

o

Got back from Texas late last night...and I miss it already...lowest temp we got there was around 70 with most days in the 80's. if there was ANY cloud in the sky I missed it...when we flew in you could see the reminants of snow on the ground at the airport...needless to say, I'm depressed...;)

Thanks for checking up on me Mom (Marie)..I'm doin fine and I promise my grades are up.

Took a walk around the gardens this morning to survey the damage and suprisingly, most has survived quite nicely. I'm am unpotting my mums and sticking them in the gournd this weekend and we'll see if they survive. If not,no biggie. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Got to go back later and read up on what I missed. Hope everyone is well..

Talk to you soon !

Blackie

o

Hi everyone

Busy here, its been lovely having Ruth's family reunited. We've also had a chance to sit down and talk about their plans - difficult but important conversations. Having two families living together at times has it challenges and overall I think we've done very well. The future is still very uncertain, but today should be a day for celebrating as it is little Iris' Second Birthday!

Babs - calling me on the telly might have given me a scare as the telly is the TV! I'm sure you could whip this cape into shape in no time. The fabric is sheer, stretchy, and very slippery. My machine is not working particularly well - it was used last week by Annie's Girl Scouts as they finished up the fleece hats and scarves and the plate that covers the bobbin is broken. I probably should have used paper to stabilize and ditched the invisible thread but at this point I only have to attach the gathered back to the bodice and I'm done - whew! I would love to watch you sew as I know I'd learn so much. Well, even more, I'd love to sit and chat while you sew as we could laugh so much!

Woody - I love, love, love mincemeat and Christmas (plum) pudding. However, I'm the only one in our family who does so I rarely make either any more. They are both so delicious on a cold day - my mouth is watering just thinking of them. Do you make Brandy Butter (hard Sauce) to melt over the pud?

Sue - first frost here too and lots of ice to scrape from the car windows. I'm mad that I forgot to pick the last of the Dahlias and tomatoes. At least I had the Brug cuttings going.

VG - your cooking always sounds so healthy and yummy. I'll start the seed starting thread this weekend.

V - are labs prone to throwing up? Hoping Mystic is back to normal.

Martie - I'll post some pictures of our Halloween costumes. Ruth's children fit perfectly into two I'd made for Annie and David - a little shark and a dinosaur both with squishy tails. Its so much fun seeing the costumes in use again.

T - keep those portraits coming!

Hi to everyone else. A friend just called inviting me for tea - much more fun on my day off than housework.

See you later

Mary

o

I have found many interesting things while digging. Bottles, horseshoes, many farm implement parts and pieces of cloth. It is always fun to find the implement parts when picking up rocks in the farm fields. It makes it less boring. Norma, maybe you can put your lavendar bottle in a flower pot with the broken part buried.

GB, I promise not to send those old typewriters to a 3rd world country ;o)

I'm sure Brenda is sitting in a combine, but where is Deanne?

Hopefully, all dogs and people are feeling better today.

Babs, my grandmother's first husband and baby daughter died of tuberculosis. My grandfather was her 2nd husband. I always think that is such a sad story.
My mom and her mom for sure loved to sew. I think she is disappointed that none of her 3 daughters are very enthused about it.

I worked a little last night, but it gets dark and cold by 7. DD wants me to come paint at the new house tomorrow. I think I need to take a day off work to work in the garden and not tell anyone. LOL

Michelle

o

Good report on Mystic this morning, although we are not out of the woods yet. He took 2.5 liters of IV fluids overnight so the dehydration is much improved, but he still has vicious diarrhea. (Can I say I'm somewhat relieved to be paying someone else to deal with that?) He's on antibiotics and they will do a barium series on him to further confirm that there is no obstruction. On another day they might wait a little longer to do this, but with the weekend fast approaching they want to get a handle on this. It sounds like he might spend another night at the vets. We're not at $5000 yet but I'm sure the bill is adding up.

DH's cousin had a cat with kidney failure and they spent $6000 on a kidney transplant, and the cat did not survive! I don't think I would have chosen that route myself, but I wasn't in their shoes.

Crazy day, so I'm running again.

V.

o

Happy Birthday,Iris: )

Mary but I WAS on your telly didn't you see me(I think it was the Twilight Zone)? LOL Sorry, I call our telephone the telly around here...I was hurrying so that one slipped out: )
I know that WOULD be fun to chat and sew together. I was just sewing(naturally)before I started this post and trying to finish AJ's costume. I would love if you would post Annie and David in costume...can we twist your arm??

EP I so agree about genetic memory! It really is fascinating to learn what we've had in common with those before us and it makes so much sense. We see physical family resemblances so why not behaviors as well,right?

Michelle-I often wonder where the sewing gene will go beyond myself. My oldest niece really never had a big interest(she's 21)she did very little sewing and my other niece(20) never learned and her mom(my sis)is an even more accomplished seamstress than I.After those two we only have one other niece who's 9-not sure if she is the type either. AJ says he'd try it so we'll see.
Yes TB sounds like a horrible thing-sorry about how your GM lost her first husband and baby. We are so fortunate to have the medical care we do today when you think of all the things people died from.
About interest in sewing-I do think our lifestyle dictates to our pasttime-people have less patience and time to learn such a skill. One thing I've never done is embroidery(my GM did beautiful work) and I always say I will try it one day....I'm not getting any younger lol!

Veg-girl-darn I lost my earlier post to you-the short version is: your bustling day of activity yesterday wore me out: ) I love the fragrance of applesauce making day-my mom always gets winesap apples from her tree and for years she did her annual applesauce making. As a matter of fact she picked her apples yesterday and was going to make some pies...I bet I should visit her lol.

I like your idea,Michelle about the lavender bottle.

Off to tend to Ryan;we have tandem colds.

~Babs

o

GB pulling for you and Mystic. My Pepper got sick with cancer and the doctors said we could treat her but it probably wouldn't help. I cried a lot that day. Not a pretty sight!

My sweet Pepper.

The other day a mouse and me were in the WC (washroom, aka water closet), together. I screamed lots. I jumped onto the edge of the tub. Richea rescued me, and not the mouse. My hero. I could be a contender for those scream shows when a mouse is near. It's so silly, an adult woman, me, being terrified of a teeny tiny squashable mouse, but I can't help myself. The screaming blue bloody murder as if I'm being attacked by the pyscho guy is like crying wolf. What if I am really attacked by the pyscho guy and everyone thinks it's just a mouse, and doesn't come!

Hi everyone else. I hope you have a great day, no matter if you're warehoused or not! I'm doing paperwork. :( Bleccch!

Yeona

o

The news on the barium series is not good. After 3 hours, the barium has not left his stomach. Normally they would expect most of it to be out of the stomach in 1 hour. They're going to wait another hour and if there's no change it will be time for surgery. I may have to go home and count socks to see if any are missing...

Things are still pretty hectic here so I may not update again until later. But everyone else's posts help keep me distracted!

V.

o

No time right this second, but wanted to tell V that I'm pulling for Mystic and will be waiting anxiously to hear the news. I'm keeping good thoughts that all will go well and hugs to you...I know you must be awfully worried. Will post a real post later, but in the meantime...

Hi Babs! :-) Happy Birthday Iris! ;-) (*Gorgeous* flower by the way)... Hi Marian (hope you're feeling a little better), Hi Yeona, Hi Bruce...always great to hear from you, Hi Norma (it's so good to see you posting...sorry to hear about your back). Plan to look at your pics and posts and everyone's of course a little later...

Been wondering about Deanne and Taryn too...hope all is okay and keeping my fingers crossed that Taryn's home has found the perfect buyer!

TTYL! Ei

o

Oh V, I just checked in and read about Mystic. Lots of good thoughts being sent from here for Mystic and you. I know you must be a wreck worrying about him...

I've had Bella alot this week. Meg's been down with a cold but is still dragging herself to work so I've been trying to help out with the baby so she can get some extra rest. I probably won't be posting much for the next couple of days but I'll be checking in for news on Mystic. I sure hope it's good news!

Eden

o

V, I sure hope that Mystic doesn't have to have surgery. My thoughts are with you as you wait.

Babs, what pretty Irises for Iris :o)

Eden, you are a great mom and gramma. Meg and Bella are so lucky to have you.

Ei, nice to see you post. How are things with your Dad? I've been thinking about you.

Sorry Yeona, but I did have to laugh at the mental picture of you and the mouse in the WC, even though I'm sure it was traumatic ;o)

Michelle

o

Mary - we put a vanilla/butterscotch-ish liquidy sauce on the pudding. I'm salivating thinking of it! It smells like Christmas in here today!

Happy Birthday Iris! Here's Immortality for you :-)

V - I hope mystic will be OK . In high school I worked for a vet evenings and weekends (I was planning on being a vet eventually...) The vet did a weekend emergency surgery on a dog (I got to help - lots of fun!) to remove a ball of yarn! It had been in there a while and was partially unraveled into the intestine. It was sort of tricky getting it all out without damaging the intestine too much. The dog recovered fine so I hope Mystic will too.

o

Hi, just home from grocery shopping and running errands.

V, I hope Mystic will be okay. I'll be watching for updates along with the rest of the Idylls.

Alright, is there really an 'Iris' who has Idylled and I've forgotten or is Babs pulling a funny? :o?

T.

o

GOOD LUCK TO MYSTIC!!!!

Just to let you know, I have heard from both Taryn and Deanne recently and they are busy but well.

I've worked a bit on my camera, so here's what I have to contribute from today:

o
RE: #231 ~Babs will start this one!

T, Iris is Mary's little neice who's having her 2nd birthday. Happy Birthday Iris!!!

o
re: #231 ~Happy Birthday Iris!!!

Eden, thank you........I read Mary's post and did not put the two together. Another duh moment for me. :o(

Iris, if your Aunt Mary reads this to you.....I hope you have a very Happy 2nd Birthday!

T.

o

The vet has just finished removing a piece of towel that was in Mystic's stomach and starting to go into the intestine. So from now on he sleeps on the metal crate pan with no cozy blanket or towel!

Happy Birthday Iris!

V.

o
RE: #231 Mystic

V, I've had to take away our shepherd's bedding about 18 months ago. He use to eat it during the night. DH thought I was cruel to take it away but I figured we were lucky that he hadn't had problems with eating the fabric yet (I'd find long pieces of fabric in his stool). He now gets lots of layers of cardboard to sleep on. I figure if he chews the cardboard that it should disinegrate and pass more easily than fabric.

Glad the surgery is over and hopefully Mystic will recuperate and be fine.

Silly pup!~

T.

o
Mystic

Oh V! I'm so glad they found it! (Sorry about the expense, but she is worth it in my opinion!)

Mystic, mend quickly!
Love, Charlotte

o

V, bet you're glad that's over. Hope Mystic has a quick recovery! And that you do too!

Eden

o

A few shots of biggy-boy:

I wonder, perhaps, if we oughtn't have rechristened him, Heugene? He definitely doesn't screw around when it comes to toys... if it isn't a court-worthy tennis ball, it had better be a piece of cord (I mean "cohd") wood...

Going out for dinner tonight and have get "dressed"... HI, everyone.

o

Someone sent me this today and I thought of you Chelone, when I read it...I'm getting the red x's for the pics of biggy boy.

Yankonics - New England Phrases

"Ah": The letter between "Q" and "S"
"Ahnt": Sister of your father or mother
"Bah": Serves beah and hahd likkah: "The train to New Yok has a bah cah."
"Bay-ah": Ferocious brown, black, or white carnivore
"Bzah": Strange, odd
"Chahlz": The river in Boston
"Chowdah": Clams, milk, and buttah
"Cohn": Stahchy veggie that comes on a cob
"Connah": Where streets intersect
"Fah": Not neah heah
"Fahk": What you eat pahster with
"Fiah": Blaze
"Gahden": What they closed last yeah (also a place to plant flowahs)
"Hahbah": What they dumped tea into in 1773
"Hahvid": Preppy college across the rivah
"Hahf-ahst": Done without regahd to detail
"Heah": Done with the eahs. "Listen, my children, and you shall
"heah" of the midnight ride of Paul Reveah."
"Hoss": Foah legged animal Paul Reveah rode
"Khakis": What you staht the cah with and keep on yowah key chain
"Nawtheastah": Stahm that blows in from the wottah
"New Yahk": Sink hole 240 miles south of Tremont Street, owah, sixty minutes
"Pahk": Cahn't do it in Hahvad Yahd, or downtown eithah
"Pahster": Spaghetti, ziti, etc.
"Pastah": The rectah of a parish, like St. Mahgrits
"Pahty": A place to go to drink and socialize - nothing to do with mother nature
"Pichahs": They throw fastballs at Fenway
"Reveah": He rode through Ahlington on a hoss shouting, "To Ahms!"
"Shuah": Of course
"Shot": Not tall
"Wof": A peeah, jutting out into the hahbah
"Wottah": H2O

Eden

o

I shuah had to concentrate on some of those!

Can't see Heugene either.

o

Quick post LOL!! Brings back lots of memories of summers in Maine:-) I remember being in the hardware store and the owner was ordering concrete for his house from Canada. Evidently the guy on the other end asked him how much he wanted because he said, "Three yads"...THREE YADS... Y.A.R.D.S..YADS!!!" He hung up the phone and said "Crazy guy! He doesn't even know what a yad is!" Another time, we were at the lake and a young man was walking a puppy. I stopped to pet it and asked if it was a lab. He said "Paht" and I'm trying to figure out what breed he's talking about. Then he adds "and paht German shepherd"

Ei good to hear from you!

V, SO glad they found out what was wrong with Mystic. Poor guy. I hope he'll soon be back to his normal self.
Gotta run,
VG

o

Dahn it!, Heugene showed up on the preview just fine...

o

Dear Mystic, I hope your are home soon and peeing $800 worth of fluids on the trees and lawn :) Let me know if you need to borrow my play muzzle so that you don't have to wear an Elizabethan collar. Here's a recent photo of me after I ate everything BUT a sock. I hope your sock, or rock, or plastic toy tasted really good and is worth all of the trouble!

Get Well Soon! XX00, Katie
PS: Your mom is worried about you, and get this (!) she will not be mad when you get home, she'll be all happy again. Weird huh? Trust me. K.

o
let's see if this works

Here goes nothin'

o

OOH Chelone - he IS a handsome biggie boy! The look in his eye in that first picture.... very saucy/impudent :-) He looks like lots of fun!

o

Oh Chelone! Same fur as our 2 cats, same jaw as Charlotte, same habit of attacking the napper on the couch, but unique ears which I love. Hi there Heugene!!!!
I don't hate all dogs...

o
What do you know!!!

Tonight we went to the pub in town for a bite of dinner. As we were about to sit down I heard someone say "there's one of our star hockey players!" and so of course we ended up sitting with DH's hockey buddy. What I didn't realize though, was that the table was actually a group of friends practicing their French! So there I was speaking French for the first time in AGES! Boy was that tough, but it is amazing how the words return as you get going. So many words I've never used in decades or ever: barn, email, snapping turtle, egg yolk, sink, and many more. Bet we end up going every 2 weeks now. One couple comes from Quebec City and just arrived in June, so it is fun to learn some Quebecois too. Lots of silly stories were shared. Didn't mention gardening even once...yet!
'bug

o

Eden, I meant to tell you how funny your list of vocabulary was. I chuckled audibly more than a few times.

Chilly here this morning; the hostas have folded up the tent, and the Hydrangeas are beginning to turn, too. Most of the maples have lost their leaves (tough wind driven rains for several weekends now), but the oaks are still retaining their's. I have to think about bringing in the geraniums. sigh

And the awnings need to come down, too. I'll see if the helpmeet will help me with than on Sunday afternoon, after I meet my brother and hand Mum off to him. Not sure if this visit will be 2 or 3 weeks, but it will be welcome, even if busy.

I want to get her bathroom painted to match her bedroom and the helpmeet wants to get some vinyl flooring in there, too (concrete slab right now). We'd like to get the door painted, install a motion detector in the hall to solve the problem of no switch (or room for one) immediately outside her room. Lots to do with "take down" season upon on us at work.

I haven't had a chance to read the Idylls for some time now (and probably won't for some to come, lol). Our cable-less TV is frequently darkened now. I've been reading again, which is rather nice; indulging my love of history. Presently reading the biography, "Elizabeth, The Struggle For the Throne" by David Starkey (Chatto & Windus c. 2000); interesting in that it deals primarily with her childhood and the years leading to her accession and the first few years of her 45 year reign. Really fascinating stuff; the turmoil caused by the split with the Roman Catholic church is complicated and had ramifications in virtually every facet of daily life. It's a "real page turner" and a "pot boiler"! I finished "Winter Solstice" by Rosamund Pilcher a few days ago; defintely "fluff" for my peanutbutter. :) . I'll be turning my attention to Dickens' "Tale of Two Cities" when I've finished my present lesson in British history. Looking for suggestions, if you've got any!

I'll check in throughout the day, have a lot of piddly chores to address to get Mum ready for her "voyage of exploration".

o

Chelone, 'Aristocrats' by Stella Tillyard is a 'one of a kind' book. Here is a link. EP

Here is a link that might be useful: Aristocrats

o

Good Morning, Brad just left for McDonalds to get me a McMuffin. Not a healthy way to start the day. It looks like it's going to be a beautiful day here today. It's supposed to get up near 60F and be sunny. Bella and I must get a walk in later this afternoon.

Chelone, Rex definitely looks to be a BIG boy, but a nice boy too.

I hope we hear how Mystic's doing this morning.

Mary, where are those pictures of your Halloween decorations?

I can't wait to see pictures of all the Idyll children in their costumes.

Marie, it sounds like you had a really good time at the pub.

Cynthia, hope to hear more from you over the weekend. Have you placed any seed orders yet? I received my Chilterns order in the mail. I hope I'm successful with the gentiana scabra. Any advice on starting it? I checked the Clothier website and didn't find the scabra, but will probably follow the instructions there for the majority of other gentianas.

I've run out of time. My McMuffin has arrived. I'll check in later.

Eden

o

Good Morning!

It's the end of the month, in case you didn't notice, so bill paying Saturday. Using the rates on my October gas bill, my January bill for combined electric and gas will go from $474 for Jan/05 to $786 this January. 66% increase. Could be worse could be better. January is always the worst heating month here, and remember I keep the house cold. This is why my big spring project will be more insulation. Furnace guy was here to inspect and clean this week and everything checked out ok, so I'll be warm but broke :) Maslow's Hierarchy applies.

Biggie Boy is BIG, Chelone! But he's a brindle boy - must have some greyhound in him :)

No frost here, but there was a warning last night, so I appeared in my robe outdoors at 10PM to shuttle some of the most tender pots to the GH. My Blue Steel Agave stayed out as I wasn't up to wrestling the dolly for it to get it to shelter. It can handle light frost and may even be hardy here if it were in the ground. Don't want to risk it though. Cannas and fuchsias stayed out too, as I like them to be hit hard by frost before moving in.

Took bunches of cuttings and was too tired to do a good job so stuffed them all in one big pitcher of water to be sorted out today. Nickey, the brugs will root readily in water, no special techniques needed! They are probably the easiest tropical to root. Just strip off most of the leaves. I do lots of stem cuttings that have no leaves at all and they do fine! I keep my cuttings upstairs in windows so that if there's a bug they don't infest seedlings on cellar light tables.

I've been reading seed catalogues in bed at night. Who mentioned Plant World in Devon? Mary acquainted me with that catalogue 2 years ago, and it's a favorite. Always comes early too. I'm keeping my seed starting limited this year (I say that every year), but I really mean it this time. My list will be short and includes silphium perfoliatum and the asphodeline that isn't yellow. GB needs to remind me of the variety of asphodeline she grows.

Can't wait to see all of the idyll-kins in their halloween costumes. I never went trick or treating when I was a kid, so I'd be right out there with Bab's if it were allowed.

Looking forward to an update on Mystic ~

Cynthia

o

Glad Mystic is recovering. Chelone -- are you sure he's not part pony?? The gentleman on the couch looks like he may have been hit by a paw in a delicate spot -- OUCH!!!! That dog would crush me :-)

Costume pics, costume pics, costume pics. Please!! Neighborhood kids are all too old to be "cute", but I've been recruited to to quickly put together a vampire cape for one of them. Told him I'd do it only if I could also do his makeup. He agreed!!!!!!! Fun stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Eden: Your list cracked me up. I live about 20 miles from where people start dropping their "R's" so sway back and forth depending on what town I'm in. They forgot the absolute standard: Freekin' Ooawsoom: anything that's good!!!

The Lemon Verbena has survived a light freeze (according to temp) and I'm in awe. It deserves to die a peaceful death, or keep fighting back. Whatever it wants is fine with me. If the leaves don't drop by Thanksgiving, it'll come in.

The iris pics have my mind reeling. It's the one plant I didn't get any of this year, and now realize how much I'll miss them.

So -- since the apple butter is started and DH is cleaning (READ: removing leftover construction materials so that I can move in the Terra Cotta and Della Robia) the basement, will have to go find what's left of any iris locally and get'em in the ground.

All the best to everyone!!! Where are you Deanne???

Martie

o

Boy, an Egg McMuffin sure sounds good this morning! Did Brad get one for me too?

The theme this morning is waiting. I'm waiting for the heavy frost to melt and the air to warm a bit before I go out to plant bulbs this morning.

I'm waiting for a Mystic update later this morning. He came through surgery just fine and the vet said she saw no damage to the stomach or intestine. He was awake but still groggy after the surgery. This morning they will be trying to get his digestive system working normally again. If all the bodily functions respond by late morning, he can come home this afternoon. If not he will spend the rest of the weekend there.

Katie, You're so right! I won't be mad at him at all.

Chelone, love the photos! It's funny, he doesn't look quite so big in the first two photos, but then when you see the last photo, WOW! Unless, of course, you are married to a midget who is napping on a love seat? ;)

Mme. Jardin-insecte, the dinner sounds wonderful! My French was pitiful to begin with, but I'm always amazed how much comes back if I read something with French words thrown in here and there. I really should try to practice some Spanish also.

Okay, I suppose I can do some laundry while I'm waiting for it to warm up outside.

More news later!

V.

o

No Greyhound, I'm afraid Cynthia ;).

One look at him and you'd KNOW. He is, actually, a Shepherd/Mastiff cross; probably a Bullmastiff as he lacks the real size you'd expect with a Mastiff. His Shepherd side is clearly evident in his head and his overall expression and demeanor. He has eyes that don't "miss a trick"; he is drawn to and "locks on" to any sort of movement, a notable trait of the herding dogs, and he has NO compunction about making everyone aware of his presence (frightens many initially). His coat is actually what is called a "reverse brindle"; that is, black body with fawn striping. This gives another nod to the liklihood he is part Bullmastiff; as this was the preferred color of the nightwatchman's dog... practically invisible in deep shadow or times of limited daylight, and giving the "night dog" a distinct advantage when patrolling for poachers on a nobleman's lands... . His personality is quite bold (typical of both German Shepherds and Bullmastiffs). He fears nothing and is very inquisitive, as that is his heritage. But he is supremely gentle; another nod to the Shepherd side (probably why he wasn't euthanized early on, too). He's smart, a real "quick study", and willing to do anything asked of him... but has a streak of independence that requires we really "make the case" and follow through before he'll concede all decision making to us and comply without hesitation (Woody picked right up on it!). It's this aspect of his personality that found him surrendered not once, but twice, and, interestingly, it's that trait that I like most about him. I like that he ISN'T a complete "weenie/pushover"; and that's what makes Shepherds such superior dogs in so many varied careers. Once he knows the command he will deliver the goods reliably and contentedly, but he will take full advantage of you IF you allow it. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I hate dogs. But you already know that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here