Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babzclare

#231 ~Babs will start this one,T!

babzclare
18 years ago

How's that T? lol

I'll bet I'm the only idyll still awake right about now: )....who else is as crazy enough as I am to still be conscious?

~B

Comments (100)

• triple_creek
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

V, I hope they find Mystics problem soon. Did I read your post right? Is Sunrise sick too? I'm worrying with you.

Sue, it just seems wrong for a vet bill to be $5000 dollars. I feel for your boss. As much as I love my animals I don't think we could swallow a $5000 dollar vet bill. (But if I had plenty of money I definitely would). I guess that would be a good case for insurance, wouldn't it. But I bet that ain't cheap either.

Good news is my washer is not leaking water. Bad news is it was the drain pipe in the wall that had fallen apart. Had to cut holes in the drywall to get to it. I was planning on putting beadboard around the bottom half when I repaint in there anyway so thats not such a big problem. It will be hidden behind the washer until then. Thanks to the internet I looked up my washer and figured out how to get the front panel off to check for leaks. I was doubtful it was the washer because there was much more water in the basement than the utility room.

Babs, interesting that your GGGM was a seamstress too. To bad about her hubby though. Lifespans back then were not nearly as long as these days.

We went to town to pick up plumbing supplies tonite and went to the new Pasta House. I had my favorite. Rigitoni Carabonara, but by the time I had my salad and roll, I barely made a dent in the rigatoni. My stomach has shrunk since I've been watching what I eat. I know , I shouldn't have had pasta, but I have been being really good. I just need to get back to being able to power walk. Today I just wandered around in the woods slowly with the dogs. I found an old linement bottle near the old foundation. Unfortunately it was broken at the bottom. It read "DR. Classes" on one side and linamint on the other. Sort of a lavender color glass. I wish it hadn't been broken. And in another area of the woods that I seldom get to, I found several old broken mason jars. My thoughts were of an old still. LOL. I have a vivid imagination.

Wishing all well. Take care. Norma

• just_t
    18 years ago

V, glad that Mystic is being taken care of, thanks for letting us know. Hope you are enjoying the concert and not worrying about the dogs too much.

Eager to see photos of the little ones in their Halloween costumes. Jamie will be a tiger this year and has been practicing growling. Little ones are a lot of fun.

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

Me again for the umpteenth time. I thought I should clarify what's going on with Sunrise. She did throw up this morning but she's totally fine now. We have always called her "Bulimic Dog" because she throws up a lot but then thirty seconds later, she's acting as if nothing ever happened. But I was a bit panicked this morning when she was hurling right on top of Mystic's illness.

Julie, thanks for a great smile! Let us know how the eye shadow turned out, okay? My niece painted her dad's toes once, and then someone squealed at the Rotary Club meeting and he had to take off his shoes and parade around the room barefoot!

Thanks so much to everyone for all your good thoughts for Mystic.

• babzclare
    Original Author
    18 years ago

T the same goes for you-if you get a pic of Jamie you know we want to see it: ) We definitely need some seasonal pics here: ) HEy Where's Deanne?

Norma yeah I was intrigued that all the 'womenfolk' in my immediate family are pretty accomplished seamstresses and I didn't realize it went so far back-I think we have a knack for engineering-it's that analytical mind thing. Now I want to know more about my GGGGM(alotta 'G's there lol). All this surfaced becasue AJ had a heritage project for Social Studies and we started asking my mom for info. Isn't it amazing that had my GGGF lived now,he most would have been cured;as many other 'afflictions' also would have?
    And speaking of historical stuff I'd bet a lavander glass bottle is worth something!? A missing bottom might make a difference though lol. I believe the aqua and amber mason jars are valuable. I love seeing stuff like that and I imagine what the person was doing when they discarded such things. Maybe they were tossing the jars when the lawman came to bust them! When I get a moment I'll have to photograph & post this cool lemonade bottle from my grandmother-bottles were so ornate 'back in the day'. My mom also has a brown glass bottle from hair color that my brother found in the woods near a cemetary when he was young.
    Lastly Norma, good for you trying to figure out how to deal with the leaking pipes-you've got an analytic mind too! It sounds like you had a bit of a mess on your hands.

Woody I heard you big time when you mentioned you're eating habits change this time of year-I can count on gaining five pounds(at least). I'm hoping to curb my urges this year-it does get harder as we age plus Halloween candy doesn't help or extra helpings at Thanksgiving or Christmas....New Years...lol.

Mary is either sewing like a fiend or she missed my post-I want to call you on the telly just to make sure you're sewing is going better! Oh I forgot, you're probably getting ready for the big reunion? I'm so happy they'll be back together again-that's has been such a long time to be missing his family and vice versa(though lucky they've been in such good, loving hands).

I am psyched for SUNSHINE by Saturday...whether I'm sick with whatever I'm getting or not,I'm going for a nature walk and taking my camera.

Julie as long as adding a bra to the mix isnt mentioned I think it's harmless...lol.

~Babs

• babzclare
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I know you'd want to know...I BOUGHT the Rick Darke book! Do we know that Bruce *doesn't* work for a publishing company?(just kidding) lolol oooh maybe V was in kahoots with him; )

• martieinct
    18 years ago

All good thoughts to Mystic and those who love him/her.

Frost here yesterday and today -- tonight a "light" freeze is predicted. Will pile a few more inches of mulch onto the roses.

The clocks turn back this weekend!! The official beginning of stews and warm blankets season.

Any pics of costumed kids would be great!!! I miss the fun of last minute amendments to keep them on and kids able to see and move. 10-year-old neighbor borrowed old costume I made of the white and gold Power Ranger. I feel for Mary, a spool of gold thread is about equivalent to one seam of invisible :-)

Norma: My ex-house's property was once a dumping ground for cars used to run rum. Archeology students from local university used the area to practice and we found some very cool (and sometimes scary) things. It's all history, no matter what the purpose. From what I know, lavender glass is unusual...

Long drive this morning so need to get up and at'em.

Later, folks!!!

Martie

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

TGIF!

First frost last night. It's all over now til next March.

Off to hang out in our main parts warehouse for the day-have a good one.

Sue

• Woody_Canada
    18 years ago

Frost on roofs and grass here this morning too - not sure if it was heavy enough to be a killing frost though.

Cooking day here today - making mincemeat with the green tomatoes we harvested yesterday in anticipation of the frost. Also going to make low fat plum pudding (this one will be eaten now - will make others for Chistmas...) We love this recipe - no need to wait for Christmas for this great dessert! Also plan to make chicken pot pies with leftover boiled chicken. See - cold weather comes and I get the urge to cook....

• wendy2
    18 years ago

Good morning, and I second that TGIF!!

V, hope today sees Mystic feeling better.

Babs & V, I have that Rick Darke book too, I love it. I admire the Arts & Crafts style; beautiful in its simplicity.

Norma, good for you for figuring our your plumbing problem.

Ugh, turning the clocks back is something I don't look forward too. It means that I have to commute home in the dark soon; makes the work day feel even longer.

Woody & Babs, I tend to eat more this time of year too, I think it is some kind of instinct, don't the bears fatten themselves up for hibernation?! Will have to try to watch it though - all things in moderation...

We still have not had frost, but soon I know. Forecast for Halloween is in the 50's, good for the kids. I remember years that it was cold and/or rainy, it really puts a damper on the festivities.

Well, off to work I go.

-Wendy

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Yes Woody, frost here too and ALL the leaves fell at once from the black walnut trees. I gather ginkos do this too.

How's Mystic today?

I have some old bottles found on our property and elsewhere too. Mostly booze I suspect, but one Elmer's glue bottle. Remember those? Never have seen a lavender one though.

Lots on my plate today too, so talk to you all later,
    'bug

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Unusable equipment is being donated or
    sold to developing nations as a way to dodge the expense of having
    to recycle it properly. While the report, written by the Basel
    Action Network, based in Seattle, focuses on Nigeria, in western
    Africa, it says the situation is similar throughout much of the
    developing world.

...more than 63 million computers in the United States will become
    obsolete in 2005. An average computer monitor can contain as much
    as eight pounds of lead, along with plastics laden with flame
    retardants and cadmium, all of which can be harmful to the
    environment and to humans.

At the Nigerian port of Lagos, the new report says, an estimated 500
    containers of used electronic equipment enter the country each month,
    each one carrying about 800 computers, for a total of about 400,000
    used computers a month. The majority of the equipment arriving in
    Lagos, the report says, is unusable and neither economically
    repairable or resalable.....

By Laurie J. Flynn

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/24/technology/24junk.html

• vegangirl
    18 years ago

We had a whirlwind of activity yesterday! DH had therapy so DS was clearing the path to the dirt pile while DD and I were trying tofinish up the applesauce canning. Just after DH got home, my Dad called. They had gone out to eat and their car wouldn't start when they got ready to go home. So DH and DS had to go rescue them. They got the car running, brought them here and finished fixing the car. That was about 2 p.m. and DH informs me that Dear Cousin said if we need to use the tractor/front loader it has to be NOW because Friday it's going on the mountain to start hauling Christmas trees. DH got the tractor and he, DS and I (DD was in the middle of making the weekly batch of whole wheat bread) dug everything out of the flower bed section--- several wheelbarrow loads of daffodils and other bulbs, and perennials. He dug out the topsoil with the frontloader, hauled the other soil, replaced the topsoil and leveled the area. Then we used the frontloader as a ladder and picked 3 bushels of apples out of the very top of the tree. He returned the tractor, I cooked off 8 more quarts of applesauce and juice and we were ready for Bible study by 7 p.m.!!

So today I have to get out there and work on that flower bed as much as possible.

GB, we made the oven dried tomatoes and they are yummy!! DH didn't like them which means more for me and DD:-) DS is allergic to tomatoes. I snipped some up and made a sandwich spread with them, basil, oregano and Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese. Oh was it ever good!!! I sure hope things are going better with your mother's estate.

T, I don't blame you for rehoming (I like that word!) the turkeys. Fred & Sebastian tried roosting on the front porch last winter but that didn't go over very well:-) Eeek! about the bear! My cousin regularly has them tearing down his bird feeders. I always hope they never figure out that we have blueberries and come across the ridge to our place!

Michelle, glad you had a safe and pleasant trip to Dallas.

V, I followed the link to the gourd picture but instead of pictures there were only white squares. I need to talk to DS and see if he can tell me what to do to unblock what I managed to block:-( I do hope your Mystic is OK.

Mary, I can just imagine Ruth's joy at seeing her DH after such a long time. My DH used to work on the road before we all started going with him and would only come home every 6 weeks. I hated it.

Woody, you folks are doing an amazing work at the LTC!! Good luck with the rest of your fence project.

I am not a seamstress!! My mom was until she developed macular degeneration. So sad for her!

Norma, glad the washer is Ok but I'm sure fixing the drain was no fun either. At least it wasn't in the middle of a winter storm:-)

Sue, it takes willpower to jump our of bed and go out into the cold to get plants in. We had our first frost a couple of nights ago. DS and DD were out about 9 p.m. gathering peppers and tomatoes.

Hi Nickey, hope your brug cuttings root:-)

Babs, that is SO fascinating about your ancestors!! I'm a genealogy nut myself and have been gathering information on my and DH's families for many years. DD is into to it also which pleases me:-) How nice that AJ is learning clarinet and I'm sure Grandpa would be proud. My dad was a semi-professional guitarist and is very pleased that DS plays. Hope you're not taking a cold!

Martie, what scary things did the students find??

I am missing Deanne, Brenda, and others.
    VG

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

No frost here yet. We had a fun day yesterday, driving around enjoying scenery, making soup, working outside. Marie... that link is very interesting... thanks. Woody... I made some green tomato mince meat last week... my recipe is vegetarian... out of an old Spry cookbook that belonged to Partner's grandmother.. and I also have a recipe I made up myself when I didn't have green tomatoes, using apples, raisens, and orange juice. Both are in small amounts. I use it mostly in a cookie recipe which is a favorite. Yesterday, I was thinking of my sister who made a delicious candy called 'Aplets'. I found the recipe and will share the link. The web page is about the history of some of America's favorite foods. Also shares the history of Whoopee Pies, (I saved Sue's recipe but still haven't tried making any), Tacos, Indian fry bread, Spam, and other tasty products. The apple candy originated in Washington State so thot of _T. Food brings the world together. We have changed our eating habits a lot too since we have no family to feed except during special get togethers. When the offspring married they began leaning toward the preferences of their mates and cooking their own way. I passed on all the fun things like cooky presses and cutters and extra pans. It took me over 30 years to convince Partner that anything 'green' was edible. Then, after 'retirement' convincing him that he was competent to use the microwave, coffee pot, and toaster. He's learned lots of new 'tricks' and so have I. I promise not to use his weed eater if he doesn't bother my sewing machine. It's working out so far.... hope all will find comfort when needed and pleasure in life's moments. When I previewed my message the link that came up was the one I saved from Marie's post, not the one that I intended to share.. so I'll end this, start over, and post it on the recipes and exchanges thread. EP

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

VG.. your post came up after I submitted. Your sharing is interesting to read. Babs...I am convinced that we all have 'inherent tendencies' and 'genetic memory'. I was surprised to learn that some of my own sewing skills were things that I have come by 'naturally' and that 'others before me' did things in similar ways. It's interesting to learn about ourselves and others. My best friend and distant cousin who lives nearby says 'we are peas in pod' but she is 21 years older and we never knew of one another before we moved here. Have met many of similar quality. Mary... some cousins in the south were hit hard by the hurricane. Sad to hear. Wish all a strong recovery. Cheers to all !!! EP

• blackie57
    18 years ago

Got back from Texas late last night...and I miss it already...lowest temp we got there was around 70 with most days in the 80's. if there was ANY cloud in the sky I missed it...when we flew in you could see the reminants of snow on the ground at the airport...needless to say, I'm depressed...;)

Thanks for checking up on me Mom (Marie)..I'm doin fine and I promise my grades are up.

Took a walk around the gardens this morning to survey the damage and suprisingly, most has survived quite nicely. I'm am unpotting my mums and sticking them in the gournd this weekend and we'll see if they survive. If not,no biggie. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Got to go back later and read up on what I missed. Hope everyone is well..

Talk to you soon !

Blackie

• Mary_NY6
    18 years ago

Hi everyone

Busy here, its been lovely having Ruth's family reunited. We've also had a chance to sit down and talk about their plans - difficult but important conversations. Having two families living together at times has it challenges and overall I think we've done very well. The future is still very uncertain, but today should be a day for celebrating as it is little Iris' Second Birthday!

Babs - calling me on the telly might have given me a scare as the telly is the TV! I'm sure you could whip this cape into shape in no time. The fabric is sheer, stretchy, and very slippery. My machine is not working particularly well - it was used last week by Annie's Girl Scouts as they finished up the fleece hats and scarves and the plate that covers the bobbin is broken. I probably should have used paper to stabilize and ditched the invisible thread but at this point I only have to attach the gathered back to the bodice and I'm done - whew! I would love to watch you sew as I know I'd learn so much. Well, even more, I'd love to sit and chat while you sew as we could laugh so much!

Woody - I love, love, love mincemeat and Christmas (plum) pudding. However, I'm the only one in our family who does so I rarely make either any more. They are both so delicious on a cold day - my mouth is watering just thinking of them. Do you make Brandy Butter (hard Sauce) to melt over the pud?

Sue - first frost here too and lots of ice to scrape from the car windows. I'm mad that I forgot to pick the last of the Dahlias and tomatoes. At least I had the Brug cuttings going.

VG - your cooking always sounds so healthy and yummy. I'll start the seed starting thread this weekend.

V - are labs prone to throwing up? Hoping Mystic is back to normal.

Martie - I'll post some pictures of our Halloween costumes. Ruth's children fit perfectly into two I'd made for Annie and David - a little shark and a dinosaur both with squishy tails. Its so much fun seeing the costumes in use again.

T - keep those portraits coming!

Hi to everyone else. A friend just called inviting me for tea - much more fun on my day off than housework.

See you later

Mary

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

I have found many interesting things while digging. Bottles, horseshoes, many farm implement parts and pieces of cloth. It is always fun to find the implement parts when picking up rocks in the farm fields. It makes it less boring. Norma, maybe you can put your lavendar bottle in a flower pot with the broken part buried.

GB, I promise not to send those old typewriters to a 3rd world country ;o)

I'm sure Brenda is sitting in a combine, but where is Deanne?

Hopefully, all dogs and people are feeling better today.

Babs, my grandmother's first husband and baby daughter died of tuberculosis. My grandfather was her 2nd husband. I always think that is such a sad story.
    My mom and her mom for sure loved to sew. I think she is disappointed that none of her 3 daughters are very enthused about it.

I worked a little last night, but it gets dark and cold by 7. DD wants me to come paint at the new house tomorrow. I think I need to take a day off work to work in the garden and not tell anyone. LOL

Michelle

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

Good report on Mystic this morning, although we are not out of the woods yet. He took 2.5 liters of IV fluids overnight so the dehydration is much improved, but he still has vicious diarrhea. (Can I say I'm somewhat relieved to be paying someone else to deal with that?) He's on antibiotics and they will do a barium series on him to further confirm that there is no obstruction. On another day they might wait a little longer to do this, but with the weekend fast approaching they want to get a handle on this. It sounds like he might spend another night at the vets. We're not at $5000 yet but I'm sure the bill is adding up.

DH's cousin had a cat with kidney failure and they spent $6000 on a kidney transplant, and the cat did not survive! I don't think I would have chosen that route myself, but I wasn't in their shoes.

Crazy day, so I'm running again.

V.

• babzclare
    Original Author
    18 years ago

{{gwi:181837}}
    Happy Birthday,Iris: )

Mary but I WAS on your telly didn't you see me(I think it was the Twilight Zone)? LOL Sorry, I call our telephone the telly around here...I was hurrying so that one slipped out: )
    I know that WOULD be fun to chat and sew together. I was just sewing(naturally)before I started this post and trying to finish AJ's costume. I would love if you would post Annie and David in costume...can we twist your arm??

EP I so agree about genetic memory! It really is fascinating to learn what we've had in common with those before us and it makes so much sense. We see physical family resemblances so why not behaviors as well,right?

Michelle-I often wonder where the sewing gene will go beyond myself. My oldest niece really never had a big interest(she's 21)she did very little sewing and my other niece(20) never learned and her mom(my sis)is an even more accomplished seamstress than I.After those two we only have one other niece who's 9-not sure if she is the type either. AJ says he'd try it so we'll see.
    Yes TB sounds like a horrible thing-sorry about how your GM lost her first husband and baby. We are so fortunate to have the medical care we do today when you think of all the things people died from.
    About interest in sewing-I do think our lifestyle dictates to our pasttime-people have less patience and time to learn such a skill. One thing I've never done is embroidery(my GM did beautiful work) and I always say I will try it one day....I'm not getting any younger lol!

Veg-girl-darn I lost my earlier post to you-the short version is: your bustling day of activity yesterday wore me out: ) I love the fragrance of applesauce making day-my mom always gets winesap apples from her tree and for years she did her annual applesauce making. As a matter of fact she picked her apples yesterday and was going to make some pies...I bet I should visit her lol.

I like your idea,Michelle about the lavender bottle.

Off to tend to Ryan;we have tandem colds.

~Babs

• yeonasky
    18 years ago

GB pulling for you and Mystic. My Pepper got sick with cancer and the doctors said we could treat her but it probably wouldn't help. I cried a lot that day. Not a pretty sight!

{{gwi:181838}}
    My sweet Pepper.

The other day a mouse and me were in the WC (washroom, aka water closet), together. I screamed lots. I jumped onto the edge of the tub. Richea rescued me, and not the mouse. My hero. I could be a contender for those scream shows when a mouse is near. It's so silly, an adult woman, me, being terrified of a teeny tiny squashable mouse, but I can't help myself. The screaming blue bloody murder as if I'm being attacked by the pyscho guy is like crying wolf. What if I am really attacked by the pyscho guy and everyone thinks it's just a mouse, and doesn't come!

Hi everyone else. I hope you have a great day, no matter if you're warehoused or not! I'm doing paperwork. :( Bleccch!

Yeona

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

The news on the barium series is not good. After 3 hours, the barium has not left his stomach. Normally they would expect most of it to be out of the stomach in 1 hour. They're going to wait another hour and if there's no change it will be time for surgery. I may have to go home and count socks to see if any are missing...

Things are still pretty hectic here so I may not update again until later. But everyone else's posts help keep me distracted!

V.

• Full_Bloom
    18 years ago

No time right this second, but wanted to tell V that I'm pulling for Mystic and will be waiting anxiously to hear the news. I'm keeping good thoughts that all will go well and hugs to you...I know you must be awfully worried. Will post a real post later, but in the meantime...

Hi Babs! :-) Happy Birthday Iris! ;-) (*Gorgeous* flower by the way)... Hi Marian (hope you're feeling a little better), Hi Yeona, Hi Bruce...always great to hear from you, Hi Norma (it's so good to see you posting...sorry to hear about your back). Plan to look at your pics and posts and everyone's of course a little later...

Been wondering about Deanne and Taryn too...hope all is okay and keeping my fingers crossed that Taryn's home has found the perfect buyer!

TTYL! Ei

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Oh V, I just checked in and read about Mystic. Lots of good thoughts being sent from here for Mystic and you. I know you must be a wreck worrying about him...

I've had Bella alot this week. Meg's been down with a cold but is still dragging herself to work so I've been trying to help out with the baby so she can get some extra rest. I probably won't be posting much for the next couple of days but I'll be checking in for news on Mystic. I sure hope it's good news!

Eden

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

V, I sure hope that Mystic doesn't have to have surgery. My thoughts are with you as you wait.

Babs, what pretty Irises for Iris :o)

Eden, you are a great mom and gramma. Meg and Bella are so lucky to have you.

Ei, nice to see you post. How are things with your Dad? I've been thinking about you.

Sorry Yeona, but I did have to laugh at the mental picture of you and the mouse in the WC, even though I'm sure it was traumatic ;o)

Michelle

• Woody_Canada
    18 years ago

Mary - we put a vanilla/butterscotch-ish liquidy sauce on the pudding. I'm salivating thinking of it! It smells like Christmas in here today!

Happy Birthday Iris! Here's Immortality for you :-)
    {{gwi:181839}}

V - I hope mystic will be OK . In high school I worked for a vet evenings and weekends (I was planning on being a vet eventually...) The vet did a weekend emergency surgery on a dog (I got to help - lots of fun!) to remove a ball of yarn! It had been in there a while and was partially unraveled into the intestine. It was sort of tricky getting it all out without damaging the intestine too much. The dog recovered fine so I hope Mystic will too.

• just_t
    18 years ago

Hi, just home from grocery shopping and running errands.

V, I hope Mystic will be okay. I'll be watching for updates along with the rest of the Idylls.

Alright, is there really an 'Iris' who has Idylled and I've forgotten or is Babs pulling a funny? :o?

T.

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

GOOD LUCK TO MYSTIC!!!!

Just to let you know, I have heard from both Taryn and Deanne recently and they are busy but well.

I've worked a bit on my camera, so here's what I have to contribute from today:

{{gwi:181841}}

{{gwi:181842}}

{{gwi:181843}}

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

T, Iris is Mary's little neice who's having her 2nd birthday. Happy Birthday Iris!!!

• just_t
    18 years ago

Eden, thank you........I read Mary's post and did not put the two together. Another duh moment for me. :o(

Iris, if your Aunt Mary reads this to you.....I hope you have a very Happy 2nd Birthday!

T.

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

The vet has just finished removing a piece of towel that was in Mystic's stomach and starting to go into the intestine. So from now on he sleeps on the metal crate pan with no cozy blanket or towel!

Happy Birthday Iris!

{{gwi:181845}}

V.

• just_t
    18 years ago

V, I've had to take away our shepherd's bedding about 18 months ago. He use to eat it during the night. DH thought I was cruel to take it away but I figured we were lucky that he hadn't had problems with eating the fabric yet (I'd find long pieces of fabric in his stool). He now gets lots of layers of cardboard to sleep on. I figure if he chews the cardboard that it should disinegrate and pass more easily than fabric.

Glad the surgery is over and hopefully Mystic will recuperate and be fine.

Silly pup!~

T.

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Oh V! I'm so glad they found it! (Sorry about the expense, but she is worth it in my opinion!)

Mystic, mend quickly!
    Love, Charlotte

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

V, bet you're glad that's over. Hope Mystic has a quick recovery! And that you do too!

Eden

• chelone
    18 years ago

A few shots of biggy-boy:
    {{gwi:181847}}
    {{gwi:181849}}
    {{gwi:181851}}

I wonder, perhaps, if we oughtn't have rechristened him, Heugene? He definitely doesn't screw around when it comes to toys... if it isn't a court-worthy tennis ball, it had better be a piece of cord (I mean "cohd") wood...

Going out for dinner tonight and have get "dressed"... HI, everyone.

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Someone sent me this today and I thought of you Chelone, when I read it...I'm getting the red x's for the pics of biggy boy.

Yankonics - New England Phrases

"Ah": The letter between "Q" and "S"
    "Ahnt": Sister of your father or mother
    "Bah": Serves beah and hahd likkah: "The train to New Yok has a bah cah."
    "Bay-ah": Ferocious brown, black, or white carnivore
    "Bzah": Strange, odd
    "Chahlz": The river in Boston
    "Chowdah": Clams, milk, and buttah
    "Cohn": Stahchy veggie that comes on a cob
    "Connah": Where streets intersect
    "Fah": Not neah heah
    "Fahk": What you eat pahster with
    "Fiah": Blaze
    "Gahden": What they closed last yeah (also a place to plant flowahs)
    "Hahbah": What they dumped tea into in 1773
    "Hahvid": Preppy college across the rivah
    "Hahf-ahst": Done without regahd to detail
    "Heah": Done with the eahs. "Listen, my children, and you shall
    "heah" of the midnight ride of Paul Reveah."
    "Hoss": Foah legged animal Paul Reveah rode
    "Khakis": What you staht the cah with and keep on yowah key chain
    "Nawtheastah": Stahm that blows in from the wottah
    "New Yahk": Sink hole 240 miles south of Tremont Street, owah, sixty minutes
    "Pahk": Cahn't do it in Hahvad Yahd, or downtown eithah
    "Pahster": Spaghetti, ziti, etc.
    "Pastah": The rectah of a parish, like St. Mahgrits
    "Pahty": A place to go to drink and socialize - nothing to do with mother nature
    "Pichahs": They throw fastballs at Fenway
    "Reveah": He rode through Ahlington on a hoss shouting, "To Ahms!"
    "Shuah": Of course
    "Shot": Not tall
    "Wof": A peeah, jutting out into the hahbah
    "Wottah": H2O

Eden

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

I shuah had to concentrate on some of those!

Can't see Heugene either.

• vegangirl
    18 years ago

Quick post LOL!! Brings back lots of memories of summers in Maine:-) I remember being in the hardware store and the owner was ordering concrete for his house from Canada. Evidently the guy on the other end asked him how much he wanted because he said, "Three yads"...THREE YADS... Y.A.R.D.S..YADS!!!" He hung up the phone and said "Crazy guy! He doesn't even know what a yad is!" Another time, we were at the lake and a young man was walking a puppy. I stopped to pet it and asked if it was a lab. He said "Paht" and I'm trying to figure out what breed he's talking about. Then he adds "and paht German shepherd"

Ei good to hear from you!

V, SO glad they found out what was wrong with Mystic. Poor guy. I hope he'll soon be back to his normal self.
    Gotta run,
    VG

• chelone
    18 years ago

Dahn it!, Heugene showed up on the preview just fine...

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Dear Mystic, I hope your are home soon and peeing $800 worth of fluids on the trees and lawn :) Let me know if you need to borrow my play muzzle so that you don't have to wear an Elizabethan collar. Here's a recent photo of me after I ate everything BUT a sock. I hope your sock, or rock, or plastic toy tasted really good and is worth all of the trouble!

Get Well Soon! XX00, Katie
    PS: Your mom is worried about you, and get this (!) she will not be mad when you get home, she'll be all happy again. Weird huh? Trust me. K.

{{gwi:181852}}

• chelone
    18 years ago
  • Woody_Canada
    18 years ago

OOH Chelone - he IS a handsome biggie boy! The look in his eye in that first picture.... very saucy/impudent :-) He looks like lots of fun!

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Oh Chelone! Same fur as our 2 cats, same jaw as Charlotte, same habit of attacking the napper on the couch, but unique ears which I love. Hi there Heugene!!!!
    I don't hate all dogs...

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Tonight we went to the pub in town for a bite of dinner. As we were about to sit down I heard someone say "there's one of our star hockey players!" and so of course we ended up sitting with DH's hockey buddy. What I didn't realize though, was that the table was actually a group of friends practicing their French! So there I was speaking French for the first time in AGES! Boy was that tough, but it is amazing how the words return as you get going. So many words I've never used in decades or ever: barn, email, snapping turtle, egg yolk, sink, and many more. Bet we end up going every 2 weeks now. One couple comes from Quebec City and just arrived in June, so it is fun to learn some Quebecois too. Lots of silly stories were shared. Didn't mention gardening even once...yet!
    'bug

• chelone
    18 years ago

Eden, I meant to tell you how funny your list of vocabulary was. I chuckled audibly more than a few times.

Chilly here this morning; the hostas have folded up the tent, and the Hydrangeas are beginning to turn, too. Most of the maples have lost their leaves (tough wind driven rains for several weekends now), but the oaks are still retaining their's. I have to think about bringing in the geraniums. sigh

And the awnings need to come down, too. I'll see if the helpmeet will help me with than on Sunday afternoon, after I meet my brother and hand Mum off to him. Not sure if this visit will be 2 or 3 weeks, but it will be welcome, even if busy.

I want to get her bathroom painted to match her bedroom and the helpmeet wants to get some vinyl flooring in there, too (concrete slab right now). We'd like to get the door painted, install a motion detector in the hall to solve the problem of no switch (or room for one) immediately outside her room. Lots to do with "take down" season upon on us at work.

I haven't had a chance to read the Idylls for some time now (and probably won't for some to come, lol). Our cable-less TV is frequently darkened now. I've been reading again, which is rather nice; indulging my love of history. Presently reading the biography, "Elizabeth, The Struggle For the Throne" by David Starkey (Chatto & Windus c. 2000); interesting in that it deals primarily with her childhood and the years leading to her accession and the first few years of her 45 year reign. Really fascinating stuff; the turmoil caused by the split with the Roman Catholic church is complicated and had ramifications in virtually every facet of daily life. It's a "real page turner" and a "pot boiler"! I finished "Winter Solstice" by Rosamund Pilcher a few days ago; defintely "fluff" for my peanutbutter. :) . I'll be turning my attention to Dickens' "Tale of Two Cities" when I've finished my present lesson in British history. Looking for suggestions, if you've got any!

I'll check in throughout the day, have a lot of piddly chores to address to get Mum ready for her "voyage of exploration".

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

Chelone, 'Aristocrats' by Stella Tillyard is a 'one of a kind' book. Here is a link. EP

Here is a link that might be useful: Aristocrats

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Good Morning, Brad just left for McDonalds to get me a McMuffin. Not a healthy way to start the day. It looks like it's going to be a beautiful day here today. It's supposed to get up near 60F and be sunny. Bella and I must get a walk in later this afternoon.

Chelone, Rex definitely looks to be a BIG boy, but a nice boy too.

I hope we hear how Mystic's doing this morning.

Mary, where are those pictures of your Halloween decorations?

I can't wait to see pictures of all the Idyll children in their costumes.

Marie, it sounds like you had a really good time at the pub.

Cynthia, hope to hear more from you over the weekend. Have you placed any seed orders yet? I received my Chilterns order in the mail. I hope I'm successful with the gentiana scabra. Any advice on starting it? I checked the Clothier website and didn't find the scabra, but will probably follow the instructions there for the majority of other gentianas.

I've run out of time. My McMuffin has arrived. I'll check in later.

Eden

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Good Morning!

It's the end of the month, in case you didn't notice, so bill paying Saturday. Using the rates on my October gas bill, my January bill for combined electric and gas will go from $474 for Jan/05 to $786 this January. 66% increase. Could be worse could be better. January is always the worst heating month here, and remember I keep the house cold. This is why my big spring project will be more insulation. Furnace guy was here to inspect and clean this week and everything checked out ok, so I'll be warm but broke :) Maslow's Hierarchy applies.

Biggie Boy is BIG, Chelone! But he's a brindle boy - must have some greyhound in him :)

No frost here, but there was a warning last night, so I appeared in my robe outdoors at 10PM to shuttle some of the most tender pots to the GH. My Blue Steel Agave stayed out as I wasn't up to wrestling the dolly for it to get it to shelter. It can handle light frost and may even be hardy here if it were in the ground. Don't want to risk it though. Cannas and fuchsias stayed out too, as I like them to be hit hard by frost before moving in.

Took bunches of cuttings and was too tired to do a good job so stuffed them all in one big pitcher of water to be sorted out today. Nickey, the brugs will root readily in water, no special techniques needed! They are probably the easiest tropical to root. Just strip off most of the leaves. I do lots of stem cuttings that have no leaves at all and they do fine! I keep my cuttings upstairs in windows so that if there's a bug they don't infest seedlings on cellar light tables.

I've been reading seed catalogues in bed at night. Who mentioned Plant World in Devon? Mary acquainted me with that catalogue 2 years ago, and it's a favorite. Always comes early too. I'm keeping my seed starting limited this year (I say that every year), but I really mean it this time. My list will be short and includes silphium perfoliatum and the asphodeline that isn't yellow. GB needs to remind me of the variety of asphodeline she grows.

Can't wait to see all of the idyll-kins in their halloween costumes. I never went trick or treating when I was a kid, so I'd be right out there with Bab's if it were allowed.

Looking forward to an update on Mystic ~

Cynthia

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Glad Mystic is recovering. Chelone -- are you sure he's not part pony?? The gentleman on the couch looks like he may have been hit by a paw in a delicate spot -- OUCH!!!! That dog would crush me :-)

Costume pics, costume pics, costume pics. Please!! Neighborhood kids are all too old to be "cute", but I've been recruited to to quickly put together a vampire cape for one of them. Told him I'd do it only if I could also do his makeup. He agreed!!!!!!! Fun stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Eden: Your list cracked me up. I live about 20 miles from where people start dropping their "R's" so sway back and forth depending on what town I'm in. They forgot the absolute standard: Freekin' Ooawsoom: anything that's good!!!

The Lemon Verbena has survived a light freeze (according to temp) and I'm in awe. It deserves to die a peaceful death, or keep fighting back. Whatever it wants is fine with me. If the leaves don't drop by Thanksgiving, it'll come in.

The iris pics have my mind reeling. It's the one plant I didn't get any of this year, and now realize how much I'll miss them.

So -- since the apple butter is started and DH is cleaning (READ: removing leftover construction materials so that I can move in the Terra Cotta and Della Robia) the basement, will have to go find what's left of any iris locally and get'em in the ground.

All the best to everyone!!! Where are you Deanne???

Martie

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

Boy, an Egg McMuffin sure sounds good this morning! Did Brad get one for me too?

The theme this morning is waiting. I'm waiting for the heavy frost to melt and the air to warm a bit before I go out to plant bulbs this morning.

I'm waiting for a Mystic update later this morning. He came through surgery just fine and the vet said she saw no damage to the stomach or intestine. He was awake but still groggy after the surgery. This morning they will be trying to get his digestive system working normally again. If all the bodily functions respond by late morning, he can come home this afternoon. If not he will spend the rest of the weekend there.

Katie, You're so right! I won't be mad at him at all.

Chelone, love the photos! It's funny, he doesn't look quite so big in the first two photos, but then when you see the last photo, WOW! Unless, of course, you are married to a midget who is napping on a love seat? ;)

Mme. Jardin-insecte, the dinner sounds wonderful! My French was pitiful to begin with, but I'm always amazed how much comes back if I read something with French words thrown in here and there. I really should try to practice some Spanish also.

Okay, I suppose I can do some laundry while I'm waiting for it to warm up outside.

More news later!

V.

• chelone
    18 years ago

No Greyhound, I'm afraid Cynthia ;).

One look at him and you'd KNOW. He is, actually, a Shepherd/Mastiff cross; probably a Bullmastiff as he lacks the real size you'd expect with a Mastiff. His Shepherd side is clearly evident in his head and his overall expression and demeanor. He has eyes that don't "miss a trick"; he is drawn to and "locks on" to any sort of movement, a notable trait of the herding dogs, and he has NO compunction about making everyone aware of his presence (frightens many initially). His coat is actually what is called a "reverse brindle"; that is, black body with fawn striping. This gives another nod to the liklihood he is part Bullmastiff; as this was the preferred color of the nightwatchman's dog... practically invisible in deep shadow or times of limited daylight, and giving the "night dog" a distinct advantage when patrolling for poachers on a nobleman's lands... . His personality is quite bold (typical of both German Shepherds and Bullmastiffs). He fears nothing and is very inquisitive, as that is his heritage. But he is supremely gentle; another nod to the Shepherd side (probably why he wasn't euthanized early on, too). He's smart, a real "quick study", and willing to do anything asked of him... but has a streak of independence that requires we really "make the case" and follow through before he'll concede all decision making to us and comply without hesitation (Woody picked right up on it!). It's this aspect of his personality that found him surrendered not once, but twice, and, interestingly, it's that trait that I like most about him. I like that he ISN'T a complete "weenie/pushover"; and that's what makes Shepherds such superior dogs in so many varied careers. Once he knows the command he will deliver the goods reliably and contentedly, but he will take full advantage of you IF you allow it. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I hate dogs. But you already know that.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists