Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Local Nursery visit

Here was a friendly face to greet us....

{{gwi:181892}}

Pretty fall display....

{{gwi:181893}}

Did someone mention goats? [g] I've been trying to practice taking photos of moving objects, but it's not going too well. These were the best two out of 10.

{{gwi:181895}}

{{gwi:181896}}

I loved these stone steps on the way back from the goats....

{{gwi:181897}}

To the Pots on sale 30% off....

{{gwi:181898}}

I loved this piece in the giftshop that they had their garden books on....

{{gwi:181899}}

Unfortunately, all of their plant material was looking a little rough and all we came home with was a 25 pound bag of Safflower seed for the birds and a lot of fresh air and exercise. :-)

Comments (14)

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Is this Russel's, PM? I never made it out that way this year.

The pots are right up my alley - I like them heavy, lol, and love the blue-y greens.

Fresh air is always good, even if there is not a plant to buy :)

Saucy

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Nice to see pictures from you! You've been holding out on us. Love them all but the pots are just the best with all the fall color. The stone steps are fun too with the hint of hosta and pine cones.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Saucy, it is Weston Nurseries. I have a couple more photos of the pots. They had stone pots 50% off, too. The one I liked was $490. [g]

{{gwi:181900}}

In this shot, the pots under the tree were fiberglass and $100+.

{{gwi:181901}}

Marie, here is another view of the steps....they had an entire outdoor kitchen with a Dining area and an outdoor fireplace at the top of the stairs.

{{gwi:181902}}

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

I like those big, colorful pots but the thought of having to move something that heavy in for the winter rules them out! Mind you, the price does too.... :-)

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

These are cute Pm. I like the goat pics and the cat on one of the books could easily be a pic of Niki.
    The pots are my favorite colors.
    Looks like it was a nice day for a nursery visit.

Norma

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

DH would get quite a kick out of the sign in the first picture, but he's not home tonight. The pots are gorgeous along with the lovely fall foliage. I love the cabinet too. Oh, and the outdoor kitchen is very cool as well.
    thanks
    Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Those steps are wonderful PM !Too bad the pots are such $$$ !I imagine they are from China, Vietnam and Malaysia-- the shipping to the east coast must be killer.

Love the bookcase ! Thanks for thinking of us on your outing.

Kathy in Napa

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Great pics of an interesting place. I like goats the same way I like dogs....if they belong to someone else, and stay where they belong. :-)

The goats that visited our yard are white with black spots. They, and the dog, are back at the neighbor's but have a new owner. Apparently the people that are buying the place are keeping them.

BTW, while I was taking my nap yesterday I was awakened by a dog barking not far from our house. When I got up Nolon told me about the black bear it met coming down our driveway! Wish I had seen that.

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

You took some great photos of your outing, PM -- I especially love that outdoor kitchen - not something you'd usually see at a nursery. The colors of all the photos are just lovely. Thanks for sharing.

-cindy

• chelone
    14 years ago

I would really like to have a goat. I think they're great.

I love the pots, but I sure don't have what it takes to assemble and disassemble them every 6 mos.! wanna place any bets that Deanne will be hot-footin' it down there soon?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Woody, that's exactly why I pass on those pots too. I have the large ceramic pot our son gave me for Christmas this year and wow is it heavy when it is full. We use what we call a 'two wheeler'. It's a handcart. I have no idea where we came up with that name. But the pot is sort of a bell shape that is wide and it's not easy to keep it on it. I am enjoying the fiberglass pots that we leave out all winter.

Norma, quite an eye to catch the cover of that Cats book. Is that what your Niki does in your pond? Looks like she's fishing.

Marie, I decided to use the photo of the steps on my laptop desktop. It makes a nice one. Would be happy to send you the full photo file.

Michelle, I didn't think of that. That's quite a price on the corn stalks, isn't it. You almost wouldn't need to have a crop, just the stalks. lol

Yes, Kathy, I did see some of the pots were from Vietnam which surprised me. I forgot about the shipping, they are very heavy.

Marian, you don't sound the least bit worried about that bear. I would be worrying about the bear trying to get in somewhere to find food.

Cindy, it was an amazing kitchen, I don't know why I didn't get more photos of it. It had a huge stainless grill and a granite island with a sink across from a large stone fireplace. I always thought it has to be a lot of money for something that you have to wonder how often you would use it. Especially in our climate.

Chelone, goats seem so relaxed and quiet every time I've seen one. I have heard so many stories of how they will eat anything, that I wonder what mischief they would get into. I have always wanted a sheep. I would enjoy having a source for wool too. ....I wonder if after disassembling all her current pots, if Deanne would be in the mood to buy more. [g]

• candy_j
    14 years ago

That's very unique to see a nursery with a kitchen! Great selection of pots, too.

What is it with goats, lol? No sooner had I read about Mary's chicken project, I thought how neat it would be to have a couple of goats to "tend" in the backyard. A totally ridiculous notion (and not even possible) that will have Marian chuckling since she probably knows all too well what they're capable of doing. But then, I also have long blonde hair in this whimsical vision and am wearing size 5 skinny jeans ;-)

• anitamo
    14 years ago

Love those steps! And those blue pots would have been very hard for me to resist. Is this where you picked up the 'Kopper King?' Thanks for sharing your visit with us.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

candy, I just noticed an article in our local newspaper that a neighboring community has decided to use goats to maintain a 3.5 acre meadow owned by the town. Another town is using 100 sheep to maintain a local historic green space. [g]

Anita, I have that photo on my desktop computer and would be happy to send anyone that wants it the full size photo file. No I picked up the 'Kopper King' at the nursery Saucy mentioned, Russell's which is about 40 minutes away.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm