Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanneart

Idyll #406 - Fall Clean-up

deanneart
15 years ago

Morning all!

WEll I finally have my computer back, again. I'll start this thread before we have duplicates.

Deanne

Comments (101)

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

PM, the webcam is nice but not crystal clear when I use full screen. DSIL says its our internet connection. We have the only high speed available to us other than satellite. I doubt whether that would improve it. It works better if Kenzie just stands and talks to us rather than bouncing around which is more her norm. It is still better than just a phone call. When you mentioned the holidays, I was trying to remember how many children you have, 2 DD and 1 DS? How close do they all live? All the tree pictures have been awesome. The last ones were a neat perspective looking up. The aspens were just starting to turn when we were in Colorado.

A little Halloween story while on the webcam my glasses were reflecting my computer screen and it did look weird. Kenzie says "Gramma your eyes look like a monster" I removed the glasses and looked like Gramma again.

Saucy, email your address. Ive been trying to get all the seeds collected, mostly those that Ive had to send for and cant find locally.

Martie, sorry to hear that things have been so slow for Rich this year.

Deanne, do prune back all the plants you bring in? What about the fuchsias? I actually have several that got to a good size this year. I pruned 2 back but havent the 3rd. Ive tried the dormancy thing a couple years ago and didnt have good luck. I do that same thing leaving the pots together that are my favorites.

Thanksgiving plans are in the works here too. We will have DHs kids the weekend after. With one DIL that is a RN and all the "other sides" finding a date is tough. My family (siblings/parents) will get together on Thanksgiving Day.

Later
    Michelle

• deanneart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Michelle, yes I do prune back most everything I bring in the house except for sansevieras, dracenas and the cordylines... But, all the fuchsia, acalypha, euphorbia, alternanthera etc do get pruned back to the nubs and I strip off all the leaves. The one coleus, the standard, that I bring in whole also gets that same treatment. I'll get a photo of that standard for you the next time I get the camera out. I've found that most of those leaves that were grown outside will fall off eventually anyway and I have less of a problem with insects when I don't try to save any of the leaves.

I didn't prune the Rex Begonias or one of my large cane type begonias back that severely and it will be interesting to see how long it takes them to erupt with a colony of aphids. LOL

Deanne

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

After a dark and rainy day, the sun just came out! The air is balmy and our front Maple is finally showing it's colors.

{{gwi:181952}}

Michelle, we have a Webcam but haven't tried ours yet. Yes we have 3 children, 2DS and 1 DD. Our youngest will be 26 in 2009. Only one son lives away in New York going to school. We all miss him and wish he were closer, so we could see him more often.

Deanne...That's a lot of people over for Thanksgiving, is it at your house? I brought in cuttings from my one and only coleus and they rooted in water. Do you keep yours in water all winter and pot them up in the spring?

Martie...also sorry to hear things are slow for Rich. I wonder if things may improve after the election?

Marian...what a riot how that Ginko drops their leaves so suddenly!

So, what I really want to know is what everyone is eating with their turkey this year? Tried and true traditional side dishes, or something new? Are desserts the same every year? Pies?

pm2

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Break time.. looked at several pics of EV this morning and it could be the ticket. I will suggest to BILs and they may care to go where they can see a tagged specimen in person to confirm. I spent the morning laying in food supplies-had not been grocery shopping since I began my 10-day work marathon . The cupboard was bare. I took the opportunity of said bareness to perform a JJ of cleaning the pantry (wipe down and all) and a reorganization as well.

PM, you will be doomed to disappointment on my trip pics, as I only took 13, and 4 of them was the afore posted Clematis. Will see what DSs photos look like, though Mr. Baby aside, the fast majority of them were taken out the car window while barreling up or down Interstate 5 !

More later
    Kathy in Napa

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Michelle - We have a webcam here too. Randy got it to keep in touch and play guitar with a friend in Switzerland who has unfortunately been battling early-onset Parkinson's disease and cancer too. I agree that it works best if you're not moving about too much but it's a great way to keep in touch over long distances.

PM2 - that maple is certainly showing color :-) It's incredibly windy here today and a lot of trees are now rather naked - including our ash. I like the rusty gold colors of the ash leaves on the patio. Randy is not amused though by the copious volumes in the eavestroughs!

Unlike Martie and Marian, I do not look forward to the time change. I'd rather it stay lighter in the evening than in the morning. I can't walk safely in the dark so once the time changes, it's too dark by the time Randy gets home to go for our usual evening walk with Misty.

Chelone - here it's usually me with the unfinished projects. Randy is very good about finishing things he starts - getting him to start is another matter... :-)

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

PM, the pumpkin cheesecake that I made this weekend would be a great addition to Thanksgiving Day desserts. Fairly easy too. I haven't thought over my menu, but usually stay with the traditional fare. Although, I thought of substituting candied carrots for sweet potatoes after my huge haul last night.

I'm another who likes it lighter in the evening. I can get up in the dark, but garden cleanup and walking are no fun in the dark.

Kathy, I'd love to see a recent Mr. Baby pic.

Deanne, back to the nubs and stripped sounds scary to me.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Yes Woody, I imagine the wind is the cause of our power outage this afternoon. It messed up my laundry activities as well as dinner prep. It is nice to have the heat back on. 37F isn't a great indoor temperature.

Well, I did manage to begin The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry and I am certainly enjoying it so far! Reading takes no electric power thank goodness.

I spoke briefly with Sarah this morning, but certainly not enough. Indeed their week is filled with terrible stuff to accomplish. There's a Bob Dylan concert in there somewhere (which they'll enjoy) and several doctor appointments too. Fingers and toes crossed for them over the next few weeks please as they face more challenges.

These are tough times for me as it seems everyone I know has a crisis going on. We'll plod on through...

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Gardenbug....Not feeling good always makes everything worse, too. Do hot baths help? Maybe with some essential oils? I hope you will feel better soon and things start looking up. You could use a break!

Michelle...glazed carrots are a favorite way of serving carrots here. Steamed, then sauteed on the top of the stove in some butter and brown sugar. We also do a Sweet Potatoe casserole that is really just whipped sweet potatoes, with marshmallows on the top and put under the broiler for a minute. A once a year treat. Pumpkin Cheesecake sounds good! Does anyone have room after dinner? [g] Sounds like a great breakfast, too! I look forward to Ricotta Pies at Christmas time and those are great for breakfast, too.

Woody...thankfully, our oldest son doesn't mind getting up in the gutters once all the leaves are down. I would enjoy some photos of naked trees [g] and a close up of the ash bark.

I'd rather it be light in the afternoon and if it has to be dark, in the morning. Doesn't it end up being dark in the morning and dark by dinner time anyway? [g]

Kathy...sometimes it's better to just relax and enjoy the scenery. Especially coming off a 10 day work marathon. :-)

Saucy...DH has always enjoyed the Museum of Science. Were there any special exhibits?

Chelone....I almost forgot, I think I saw you mentioning what a pudding lover you are. So am I. We grew up on Bread Pudding, with raisans and whipped cream. My Mom used to make a Grapenut pudding too. Actually they used to sell it in restaurants a lot when I was growing up, but I never see it any more. Love Chocolate pudding with whipped cream and Indian Pudding is my all time favorite with Vanilla Ice Cream. They have a pretty good one at Faneuil Hall in Boston and I've had it at the Maine Diner. I've tried making it at home and it has been good, but I am still looking for a better recipe.

For some reason, thinking about the holidays, I suddenly have food on the brain...lol.

pm2

• chelone
    15 years ago

I'm thinking of the holidays too, but I have visions of simulated fruit, evergreens, boards and staples dancing in my head. :)

Trees are quickly being denuded by the whipping winds here too (your maple is beautiful, PM). I was really surprised to see the sun come out this afternoon, wasn't expecting that at all. Mr. Weatherman has said we will receive another round of wet, raw, and windy tonight and into tomorrow. We have the stove going and it's really cozy in here now, with the animals sacked out in a variety of locations.

We had chicken soup for an early dinner, it was perfect. Thanksgiving is one of my days to cook. I make my own stuffing (herbed bread). I prepare, stuff, and tend the turkey, and make the gravy (a source of wonder to the helpmeet who never learned how, believe it, or not). I prep. the potatoes (mashed), and the vegetables which we generally prefer steamed to a nice snap (add your own butter, etc.). Typical offerings are carrots, broccoli, and Brussel Sprouts from the gahden. And there is always some sort of winter squash, nicely seasoned with seasonal spices (add your own butter). The helpmeet "brings it on home" since his timing with vegetables is leagues ahead of mine! I have been thinking about making baked onions with a nice cream sauce this year. Mum used to make them and they were lovely. Generally, there is an apple or pumpkin pie (sometimes both), but I've been thinking about a nice custard pie (my favorite) for some time now. I like to really set the table nicely, too. I will spend a good deal of thought thinking about the table linen, the dishes, the stemware, the serveware, and the silverware. We extend an invite to BIL, my brother, and sometimes to a couple of friends. The whole idea is that the day is relaxed and FUN and all everyone has to do is just hang out and enjoy a nice meal at a pretty table. A lot of work for me, but it's fun and I get a kick out of using all the "family stuff" that's come my way in the past few years.

'bug, your spirits must have lifted immeasurably to hear Sarah's voice this morning. Yes, the coming weeks will hold untold challenges for them, but hopefully their time together away from the hub of home has given them the time and privacy necessary to recharge themselves a little bit. I think of you often and wonder if you've been able to do the same thing in your own way.

I put the first of two coats of bleaching oil on the doors that will go on the bahn. The insulating panel is installed over the pull-down attic ladder in the Salon so the heat won't just go up through it and into the attic space, and I fired up the furnace out there. The programmable thermostat is going to be a bit of challenge at first, I think! The next project out there is the skimcoat on the chimney (gulp). All masonry tools are on site and the only thing left is to summon the gumption to "make mud pies". I know I'm being stupid about it, it's not as if it's brain surgery or something... what a ninny I am!

That's all for me, now. Time to polish the teeth and spend some quality time with the Black Death... (timely for Halloween, yes?).

N-night!

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

No plans for Thanksgiving yet here, but I have been coaxed into traveling to Oregon for Christmas again this year. I am truly trying to cut down on travel with no success ! Probably Orlando in Feb, and several more un-firmed up travels in the works, business and otherwise. (IU6 summer camp is top priority ).

I am the designated gravy maker in the family. Not sure how I perfected this, but I am always pressed upon to make the gravy, whatever the meat course happens to be. Family members peer at me as I work, though no one has ever asked me to write down a recipe-pretty sure they know that gravy making cant really be written down and is a processafter you finish with The Plague Chelone, I have a great book on the Cholera epidemic in London . The book is upstairs so I dont have the title or author handy but will post tomorrow. Might as well get all the death and destruction out of the way at once !

Bread Pudding always reminds me of the infamous True Value trade show salmonella outbreak at the Hyatt Regency in Chicago- traced to the raw egg glaze on the bread pudding. I ate but did not get sick, though all my co-workers did.

bug, good vibes out to S&W as they work through the next months.

DS will download his Oregon pics soon , and I will bestow a Mr Baby pic at Michelles behest!

Deanne, I bring most of my begonias inside for the winter , though some of them are getting quite large and there are a couple that I take the risk leaving out in a protected location, with cuttings taken just in case". Ive been taking coleus cuttings too, since I keep re-purchasing them every year and that is just plain stupid with a plant that roots so easily.

Dont be blue Saucy ! Go look in the mirror and view the cheekbones everyone wishes they had, then go visit the bees, and if all else fails close your eyes and think of gin and tonics accompanied by a straw concert at IU5

Thats about all for me tonight, going to watch a movie as I await resumption of the series

Kathy in Napa

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

I never finished last night's post as there was nothing of any substance to say. And not much more today, but here goes!

DIL-2B has picked out bridesmaid dresses - pale lavender with a chocolate brown sash. I'm thinking that pots of Heuchera Mocha with blooming lavender and some Diamond Frost thrown in for froth would be fun. There is a patio to decorate, you know!

I swore I wasn't going to try and save the variegated geranium on the front porch, but on Sunday it looked so I nice I took pity on it and saved it. It was a chilly 28 degrees when I got up this morning. Amazingly, the purple petunias still look good, as do the Iris Immortality. The Iris has been blooming non-stop since Labor Day weekend.

'bug, I sure hope that you are feeling better soon, and that S & W are faring well. "Re-entry" is always tricky, and even more so in their case.

So here's one of the reasons that I am occasionally grousy about life at the awf-ice. (HEY! where's Cindy?) Two of the employees that I work with are married to each other. On top of that, this couple is good friends with the owner and his wife. So I feel very awkward whenever there's any issue with either of these two; I'm sure that whatever I may say is discussed after hours. Today, the wife called me with a question on how they were signed up for the health plan. When I started to explain what her husband had decided, she interrupted me and said that I made them sign up that way to save the company money. Huge, uncomfortable feeling ensues. I put something together to show her that what they had done had no effect on how much the company paid, and told her it had been her husband's decision. Cold silence. You see, now that their son has had ortho surgery, the decision they made last year is costing them money. But apparently it's my fault. Le sigh - tomorrow will be an interesting day.

On a happier note, we have Thanksgiving plans underway. We'll be going to SIL's new house. I'm just waiting for my assignment of what to bring. It's fun to host, but it's also fun to be the guest!

Well, it's time to go pack my lunch for tomorrow and pick up a bit more of the daily detritus.

V.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

{{gwi:181953}}

Sugar maple branches meet over a country road on the Gonyaw farm in Vermont in autumn. Maple trees like these produce a sweet, amber syrup that is enjoyed all over the world.
    Photograph by Michael S. Yamashita

Have a great Wednesday!

• chelone
    15 years ago

The morning newslady has a cold, 'bug. You can hear that her voice is not its usual melodious self.

The wind appears to have blown out of here and there are many power outages "downeast". High wind warnings are in effect for the area until noontime. Gusts up to 38 knots have been reported! (chinstrap winds).

I don't feel like breakfast right now and will have to put something in a bag for a bit later on. I'm up a bit later than usual this morning but have completed the important morning stuff: feed and water the cats, make coffee, mine the catbox, personal ablutions, Idyll... :)

Lavender and chocolate brown, eh? I love your patio plantings, V., they sound really pretty. I have "Immortality" here, too, but it's in a site that is probably a bit too shady now and the soil is a bit on the rich side. It reblooms occasionally, but didn't this year. Time to re-site it to a less inviting area.

I want to hear about Saucy's ride on the "big yellow taxi" and the delights of the Museum of Science. That oughta shake of the "blues"!

Time to have coffee and pack breakfast.

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

It is dark dark dark out still...but that should change soon. Today is the mid term exam for DH's 8:30am course. I wonder how many students will claim their alarms didn't go off?

V's talk of lavender and brown reminds me that my friend who attended the quilt exhibit with me has a daughter getting married next June. They are enjoying making all the arrangements for dresses, flowers, food, tent, etc. They are also doing all those things that we never get around to: garden up-dates, new deck, etc...A busy and fun time for the "girls" of the family. The bride has two brothers as well. The reception will be at their very lovely property.

V, the situation with co-workers certainly does sound uncomfortable. When it comes to money and trouble of all sorts...well it always seems as though people want to blame. The point is to move forward. Blame isn't going to improve their little one's health issues.

I tried to avoid medication last night, but this morning I feel dizzy and full of cold once more. Back to pills I guess. :( This afternoon I go to the hospital for some tests. What a drag.

It is time to cage the shrubs and roses against rabbits and mice. I'm hoping for some help with this soon! Snow appears on the forecast a bit too frequently for comfort these days.

We continue to work on insurance "recommendations", which it turns out are a euphemism for "requirements". Who'daknown? No problem changing the fuses to 15 amps or renewing our carbon monoxide detectors. The chimney is the hard part because all the experts are overbooked at this time of year. Also, there's lots of nonsense with regulations not being in line with what is wisest for our situation. Grrrr.

Had a nice chat during dinner with Sarah about their travels. I finally cooked a good meal and she phoned just as we were about to dig into it. So she got put on speaker phone and we heard about their first week of travels. Can't wait for more! They were off to pick up Skyler when we said our goodbyes.

Love the Gonyaw farm in Vermont!!!
    Hmmm, STILL dark here...
    'bug

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

I took a brief look at the photos in Idyll #405 and some really nice ones that I missed.

Denise...congratulations on the birth of Ellie! OMGosh...what a cute photo! Could Katie look more excited and Ellie's head of hair, wow!! lol Now that is a photo that you can't help but smile looking at. :-)

Looks like I missed Cynthia's Birthday...so belated good wishes Cynthia, wondering how you are doing? Any photos of the garden or the animals?

Sue...those two lounge chairs look very comfy and inviting!

Kathy...your photos of the Trefethens vinyard were very good. Especially the one with the balloons in it and the ivy covered wall.

V.......Congratulations! I love the site for the wedding coming up, how exciting! June is not that far away. Have they decided where they are going to be living after the wedding?

Deanne...I've never been to the NYBG, so your photos were a treat. Especially liked the second photo with the asters and dahlias.

Michelle...I really liked the photo of your 'Frosty Morn' Sedum with the Oat Grass. I am about ready to give up on my 'Frosty Morn', it has been flopping and making a nuisance of itself. Is yours in full sun? That sedum in the lower right of your photo is a gorgeous color and looks like velvet. Very nice!

Nothing new happening here...planning a quiet day.

pm2

• saucydog
    15 years ago

LOL! I just woke from the kookiest dream! Sue, Les, and Monique were there....and lets just say we all got arrested! Sue was a lawyer. It turned out that Les was the "real" culprit. And my bee's hive was torn to peices in the process (by machinery, not my friends, lol).

So that prompts me to wonder: how are Les and Monique? :)

Thanks for the vote of happiness, Kathy :) I will take your advice. I had to delete the long paragraph explaning my frustration over the lack of manly help around this house....you all can just summon up your own ideas....it somewhat mirrors what I've been hearing out of the Chelone household.

I thought quaking aspen grew in the eastern US....no one has any? I saw them on Rebecca's Garden one day and decided I had to have some....you plant them in a tight grouping like birch so that you can enjoy the sound that their leaves make!

V., I do not envy the situation you are in! Health care benefits have been scrutinized here, too. They went up 200/per family per month for us. That's an insane increase for us to "eat". I have to tell you, the flavor is kind of bland and it's very chewy and hard to swallow.

I hope that everyone involved realizes what an asset you are, and that you get to hear that sometime soon!

T-day sides will be of the Italian sort....a little eggplant parm, an antipasto to start, etc. Shh...please don't tell anyone I know how to make gravy....I have quietly avoided it :)

I see that Marian has another fall thread, and I'm betting there is a naked gingko pictured there :) I am going to go see.

And with that, I will talk to you later....

Saucy
    (who was in charge of 5 kids on the field trip, didn't lose any, but another mother did.....I was so glad that wasn't me.....)

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Good morning

Yesterday was one of those days there should never have to be. It began with a crisis meeting early in the AM. One of our teachers had been found dead in his house Monday night - no other details (though no evidence of violence) but many unaswered questions. He was a quiet but popular young man, someone I liked very much, and my heart has been filled with sadness. The day was spent helping the children with their feelings. I was so drained last night I don't even remember going to bed, but I did wake up there this morning. Hopefully today will be a little easier.

Saucy - I have been a chaperone many a time and like you have always been relieved to report back with the same number of kids I started with. I have however taken to driving rather than the dreaded bus whenever possible. The last one I took had obviously been the scene of someone not feeling well and when the heat was turned on the smell was overwhelming. I have never in all my life felt so glad to get off a vehicle. The thought of throwing up in front of my son's third grade class was too horrible to comtemplate.

Mary

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

Just a quick pop in to say good morning. It's time to pick the corn. We had a rain delay yesterday, so I imagine the boys will try to make up for lost time today.
    (((Mary)))
    Brenda

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Out my wndow...
    Bah Humbug!
    {{gwi:181954}}

15 years ago

(((Mary))) that must have been such a hard day for everyone.

A naked tree picture for PM2 - compare this one with the one I posted on the 14th at the begining of the last thread. The ash doesn't quite lose its leave as fast as Marian's ginkgo but it's pretty fast, especially with the help of a windy day or two:
    {{gwi:181955}}

A neighbour's maple (seen here from our front porch) still has it's leaves and is very colorful this morning:
    {{gwi:181956}}

The Chinese wisteria 'tree' at the bottom of the driveway hasn't even started to change color:
    {{gwi:181958}}

And a final picture showing some of the ash leaves on the ground in the backyard. I love the rusty golds. Randy did a final mowing of the back lawn on Sunday so he blew a lot of the leaves from the lawn onto the border path with the lawnmover.
    {{gwi:181960}}

It's not as windy and cold here today as it was yesterday - thank goodness!

• jak1
    15 years ago

Good Morning everyone! There has been a lot of "action" on the forum since I was last here - took me ages to read!

Absolutely awful weather here this morning - freezing, north winds, horizontal snow in the air and frozen ice/snow on the ground. Adrian was thrilled - could hardly wait to get out for the school bus this morning, which, of course, was twenty minutes late in arriving. He was out playing in the glop for almost 40 minutes. I can just imagine how nice and cosy his hat and mitts will feel at recess...

Yesterday was the forerunner of this weather and that was the day I stupidly volunteered to go to the Pumkin Farm with about 60 grade two's. It was freezing rain all day and all the activities were outdoors. The kids loved it but everybody was just sodden on the bus on the way home. Yes, I rode the Big Yellow Bus with screaming kids, three to a seat...nice and quiet and comfy as you may well imagine.

I too ended up with the same number of kids that I started with - tried hard to lose a couple but to no avail!

Two of the four that I had showed up (now remember this is almost winter in the frozen north) for a day outdoors, when the morning temp. was -6C (21F), wearing crocs (it rained icy stuff all day), no hats, no gloves, one with an old dirty jacket with a broken zipper, the other with a nylon shell. These kids are 7 years old at best. I wonder what Mom amd Dad were thinking, if they were thinking, or if there was a Mom and Dad....I had dressed Adrian well and he was warm and dry all day. I had also raided our winter clothes basket and had brought along four toques and four pairs of gloves - all four went to underdressed kids for the day. One kid asked if she could keep them for the winter - I said no, they were all brand new stuff I had just picked up last week at Wally World...The teacher took me aside after the trip and advised me to wash everything in hot water on a long setting and dry in a hot dryer before putting them in with any of our stuff at home....Makes me both angry and sad....Poor kids.

Monday must have been Environment Day in Perth: at 10 a.m. Hydro One arrived to install our Smartmeter, which reads not only how much electricity you use but also when you use it, and adjusts costs accordingly. I was disappointed to learn that this program will only begin in 2010. We are already getting into the habit of using the dishwasher, clothes washer, occassionally the dryer, and very occassionally the vacuum, after 10 p.m. when the cost is 7 cents a kilowatt hour less. I have reset my plant lights to come one at 10 p.m. and go off at 6 a.m. - the plants don't really care when they get the light, do they?

Also on Monday morning the town workers arrived to drop off our new Green Bin composting system and to explain how our garbage will be handled now. We now have a small compost bucket in our kitchen. It can take almost every kind of kitchen leftover with the exception of plastics. All bones, meat, dairy, veggetable, bread and paper type products can go in there. Even pet waste (yick, not in my kitchen thanks!). The small bin can be emptied daily into a big Green bin outside. The outside bin has a locking lid to discourage the raccoons and bears (!). The Green bin is on wheels and can be wheeled out to the curb at 7 a.m. on Tuesdays for emptying. (7 a.m. What's up with that!) We still have the regular Blue Box recycling program here, with four bins for sorting our recyclables: cardboard, plastic, glass/cans, and newspaper. Then we have the 'regular' garbage which is picked up every two weeks (After all, the smelly stuff is in the green bin and the stuff that takes up the room is in the Blue boxes). Each bag of "regular" garbage must be tagged and tags cost $2.50. A certain number of tags are given to the homeowner for "free" when the tax bill is paid....In addition, we have a drop off depot where you can take such things as paint cans, construction debris, plastic bags and anything else that isn't accepted by the Blue box people....it is open every second Saturday - and it costs $10. Believe me, we need a bigger garage as one whole side is lined up with boxes and bins. I must admimt we will be sending almost nothing to the ladfill, which is a good thing. Just takes some getting used to, and some education of the Phils....

Well, sorry for the long post, but these are the things on my mind just now...kids and the environment....both worthy of attention, right!

I hope all you that are feeling down see a little ray of sunshine today. I hope all of you who are sick feel just a bit healthier today. I hope all of you who are stressed see a little relief today...You are a great bunch and I am happy to be in your company!

Cheers,
    Julie

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Mary....awful news. Something you don't expect like that can sure hit you like a ton of bricks. Not really being sure what type of school you teach in, I am wondering how old a man he was. I hope you have an easier day today and that there is some news soon about what might have happened to the poor man.

pm2

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Julie, I sure enjoyed your post! I am wishing our State would adopt some of your area's things...such as the electric deal, and the recycling. Our trash men do pick up some recyclables, but not many. We have to buy white plastic bags for them. All acceptible items go in the same bags. The bags used to be 10 cents each. They may have come up now. The black trash bags are $3.00 each, but I seldom use one a week.They are picked up every weds. and I failed to remember to put my filled bag of trash out at the head of our drive. :-(
    I burn all burnables.

That is sad about the children. Too bad you didn't have used items to give them.
    I looked up a pic I took of our son when he went out in similar conditions, when we lived in Nevada. The pic I took of the photo did not come out too well, but you can see...he is well bundled up! :-)
    He has on padded snow pants too.I found them when I was doing my spare bedroom clean-up the other day. The mice had not got too them, and they are in the metal trunk now.

{{gwi:181962}}
    The red at the bottom of the pic is a reflection from the red sweatshirt that I have on. :-) The original photo was taken with my old Starflash Brownie.

I have refreshed, and no longer see everyone else's posts so will limit mine to what I remember reading....which (I am sorry to say, is not much! No reflection on what was posted.)

Saucy. You did not comment on the 'naked Gingko' ! LOL

Oh, I remember the beautiful tree pic that Pm2 posted. Gorgeous!

And I remember V's work woes. Sorry that some are like that. Hope it doesn't lead to added problems.

Marie, so happy to hear of your phone visit with Sarah. I hope they have happy memories of their trip, and will share pics of it.

It seems there is more I need to comment on, but am drawing a blank.....something Mary said, and Martie, and....

I'll try again later.

Marian

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Saucy...you have some of the strangest dreams. [g] I rarely dream and when I do, I swear it is like reading a novel without illustrations. Very dull. When we were small, my brother used to tell us some funny dreams he had and the one I remember is that he dreamt he was climbing this tall ladder and when he got to the top it was a huge vat of jello and he jumped in and started swimming around in it. lol

Our health care benefits just changed due to cost cutting measures. The HMO we were part of is not even offered any more and it was the largest one in the State. Our premiums went up as well.

We haven't had an Italian component to Turkey day for awhile. We used to do stuffed shells as a side dish, but no one ever had any room and there was just too much food, so we stopped. Last year we had Chinese Food for Christmas Eve, but everyone is sick of it, so this year we decided we are going to have Lasagna instead.

Gardenbug...! Snow?! How horrible! I hope that dusting is all you get and it warms up enough to melt it tomorrow. It's too early for snow! I hope you are treating yourself to a lovely lunch and a good book in front of a fire today!

Woody...not sure if I ever mentioned how much I like your house. I've always liked that type of roof and I like the porch and such a nice large front window! I couldn't even see those pines when the leaves were on the Ash tree. Do I see roses, still blooming? That is a very pretty maple across the street. Is that an Arborvitae on the side of your garage? Does that wisteria 'tree' look even larger than it did in the spring? [g] Yes, the fallen ash leaves make a pretty pathway, for sure.

Julie...I hope you don't catch a cold after being out in the weather yesterday. Your trip with the 2nd graders reminded me of when I volunteered as a room mother when DD was in kindergarten. What a wonderful time I had, actually. She still knows a couple of the same children and when she talks about them, I always remember what they were like at that age. They were all so adorable, but what chaos! lol

Well...I am starting to feel some better. I am getting more mobile so I guess before you know it, I will be as good as new. Trying to keep the blinders on to whatever negativity is in my 'universe' and trying to find something pleasant to think about instead of pulling my hair out with this inactivity. I have had to call a halt to all things gardening and DH did a little fall clean up without me over the weekend. I still have 15 pots that have to go in the ground and I hope we will get to that. If I just had a place to put them. [g] Then if I can get the 60 bulbs I ordered planted, I will be happy. Very envious of all of you able to do cleaning and repairing around the house. I'm sure you didn't realize how lucky you are! :-)

Off to have some minestrone soup with grated parmesean.
    pm2

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Bonsoir, ladies! Nice to see the idylls firing on a few more cylinders, with PM feeling strong enough to post again. Weather report here is still high 80s, and you'll be pleased to know that hot, dusty work is still being accomplished in this corner of the land as cooler weather rolls in for so many of you. This past week has seen a couple mornings of dense, drippy fog as nights get cooler. The front garden is nearly level enough for a gravel mulch. I hesitate to gravel, since it inevitably becomes intermixed with the soil and changes the consistency, but there's not much chance of it becoming cooler and rainier here as time goes on, so gravel it is for this mostly xeric front garden. The weed cloth interface stuff is useless for keeping the gravel out of the soil. The aloes and other winter bloomers are beginning to stir into life.

As with any newly excavated areas, the pets flock to it as the Great Undiscovered Bathroom Land, or in Chelone's vocab, the Unsanitary Ridge. It'll be nice to get gravel on it pronto.

And if Cindy would pop in, I'd breathlessly inform her that my Raspberry Truffle mexicana salvia has buds! After watching this bug-eaten behemoth gather size all summer, squashing all neighbors, I resisted the impulse many times to yank it. Now with the cooler night temps, we've finally arrived at flwr buds and are the best of friends. I've stopped growing these ginormous mexicana salvias for just those reasons, but this one I HAD to see in bloom. One more week should do it. Deanne would weep over the chartreuse acalypha crushed under its weight.

Oh, and Deanne, we definitely do eat these West Coast lobbies, tho we won't be having any of that fellow's kin. Word spread around town, divers came in under cover of darkness, buzzed in through the security gate by an accomplice at the dispatch desk, and all lobbies were wrested from their hiding places. Not even breeding stock left. There was great gnashing of teeth by the boat crew when news of the infamy spread.

Planted the last Chalkhill clematis today, an eriostemon/viticella hybrid 'Heather Herschell,' after being stymied for several weeks, believing there was no room left. Like the other clems, it needed a spot near the hose with the requisite sun requirements, increasingly rare accommodations. Amazing how a little breathing room from employment constraints gives a new perspective. Finished a transcript around 7 a.m., emailed it in, grabbed a cup of joe, bit of a shuffle here and there, and she's nicely tucked in. The only downside is I'm going to be seeing a lot more pink and orange closer together than I'd like...such is life in a small garden.

My reading speed these days, outside of political news, is "Novels in Three Lines," by Felix Feneon, translated by Luc Sante. Felix was a Parisian newspaper editor around 1906 famous for encapsulating news stories in a few brief sentences: "Someone slipped a mickey into Charles Boulard's drink, took the sleeping messenger's case, and cashed the checks lying therein." Some do get a bit grisly, so I'm sure even Kathy would approve ;) If only my posts could be as concise...

On the home front, I struggle with the maternal nurturing that needs to be recalilbrated when the kids hit their 20s. Now, there's a novel in one line...

'bug, it's good to hear the travelers are safely home. Hope that congestion leaves you alone soon. The recent farm photos were stunners, as usual.

Mary, what an awful, tragic day for you and your school. I hope you're not too overburdened with the emotional fallout.

Julie, I'm so envious of your civic recycling program. Green waste too! Wow!

Woody, I got a good visual on that edging treatment you did of your lawn, which sounds like a very nice effect.

Michelle, it's good to hear the webcam is helping to bridge the distance a bit.

V, sounds like a no-win predicament to be in work-wise, esp. when dealing with people who put unreasonable expectations on others while asking very little of themselves in terms of forethought. (Wow, good thing I'm not a supervisor!)

Has anyone grown begonia Bonfire's sister Bellfire? Supposedly less flowers but a good dark leaf. (And if anyone answers I'll know they actually read to the bottom of this overly lengthy post)

Enjoying all the posts, menu plans, fall color photos, and dream reports. My dreams tend toward the novelistic (big surprise, huh?)

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Well Marian, no relaxation by the fire going on here. DH is home early, and now is walking Phoebe.

The chimney man (#2) arrived and gave a whole different report on things, so now there's more to consider. Nothing is easy, no one line encapsulations here! No using the fireplace at all until this is resolved.

I went to my appointment and returned with medical concoctions in preparation for a colonoscopy next week. Oh joy! Met an old neighbor who talked and talked and talked about her daughter's eight children, her cousin with 15 children , all married with offspring. Sounds like a nightmare....but she was proud. At least I get to go to the theater several days after the procedure to celebrate it being OVER.(Shaw's Caesar & Cleopatra)

I have assembled a dessert for this evening, an old college dining hall favorite of alternating chocolate wafers and whipped cream. Easy and sweet...and DH likes it. I'll toss together chicken, sauce, rice noodles and pea pods in a few minutes and call it Pad Thai.

I wish I had Julie's flare for reporting an ordinary day in dramatic or at least exciting terms!

I really want to read my book, but life interferes...
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Unfortunatly Denise, the post-20 maternal nurturing tends to be of a financial nature !

Kathy, sneaking at the awfice

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Oh bug, I hate to hear about the colonoscopy news. You drew me out of lurking with that one. Did you get the awful liquid meds or the bottle full of pills? Let me know how that goes. LOL
    I have a gastroenterologist appointment on Dec. 10th and I know that will be the first thing he orders.
    I have been dreading it. My neurologist (don't ask) did a blood test last month and it came back positive for
    Crohn's disease. That holds so much emotional baggage for me since my Mom had a severe case her whole adult life.
    It was before there were treatments but I seldom let logic interfere with emotional baggage. ;)

Jerri

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Too bad you we don't live close Bug. We could have a pre-colonoscopy 'shot' party the night before. LOL

Jerri

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

I'm going for the liquid stuff Jerri, the gelatinous glop that doesn't taste too bad I'm told, but the texture is off-putting. The day & night before are the bad part. The test not tooo awful and the post experience is supposed to be great. Hahaha, I'll tell you the real truth next week.

Dinner was good! Two nights in a row! Amazing.

DH is grading course projects tonight. He's done 5 out of 6. Then on to today's mid term exams.

Maybe I'll get to read a bit...(if I skip doing the dishes)
    'bug

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

Denise, I grew Begonia Bellflower this year. Unfortunately I didn't happen upon it until early July when most of the annuals at the nurseries are overgrown and stressed but I potted it up right away and it recovered nicely. It does have darker foliage, maybe less flowers than Bonfire but still plenty, same draping habit. The flowers are different-more salmon colored than orange. I will definitely pick it up again next year.

Reading but not much else to add.

Carry on.

Sue

15 years ago

gb - I think the colonoscopy is one of those things where the anticipation of the unpleasantness is probably as bad as the actual event! Have fun :-( I hope it all goes well. My doctor has started threatening me with the prospect. He says now that I'm over 50, it needs doing.... Since I'm Miss Fussy Eater, the idea of drinking huge quantities of awful stuff is a non-starter! Somebody once tried to get me to drink that Barium stuff for a test - it definitely did not go down!

Jerri - That's a scary diagnosis you have. Two people where I first worked when I moved to this area had it and it was not pleasant! From your comment, I assume there's better ways to treat/control it now? I certainly understand why it would be an issue that would upset you to find out you are at risk for/have. I hope it either turns out that you don't have/get it or that it is treatable for you without too much difficulty.

PM2 - thanks re the house. It looks quite different now than when we bought it. We did an extensive renovation and addition. The contractor didn't seal the attic space properly and we had some big problems with moisture. We will probably need to repace some of the roof sheathing at some point in the not-so-distant future but in general the house turned out well we think. The bow window in the front originally was the living room but it's now the dining room as the living room is in the adition in the back. The roses you see are the Queen Elizabeth ones but most of the roses are still blooming - they bloom well into November usually. The cedar is actually not near the garage - the view foreshortens things. The cedar is at the back of the main front bed and is about 25-30' from the edge of the driveway/corner of the garage. It's an interesting old tree - one trunk but four tops. I quite like it.

Denise - here are two views of the lawn border paths we did this spring:
    Looking south from just off the pato/end of north alley path:
    {{gwi:181964}}
    Looking north from the end of the south alley path:
    {{gwi:14755}}
    We really like how organized it made everything look and the contrast between the 'wild' and the formal-looking lawn. I think it was the best thing we've done here.

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Woody, that's quite a transformation on your house. The "after" version is much warmer than the "before". Nice job!

I haven't had to chaperone field trips for a few years now, but two stand out in my mind. There was the toddler trip to the apple orchard where I ended up with five kids to watch. I think I counted, "one, two, three, four, five" endlessly until we were back in the cars. The second was with the fourth through sixth grade class. One of the sixth grade boys was taller than me, bigger than me, and wanted to be any where else on earth other than a conservation area on a beautiful fall day. He was a consistent trouble-maker all day and keeping him in check put a damper on an otherwise pleasant day. He has since served jail time for a series of burglaries.

A quiet day at the office, as the boss was out sick. 'bug, I think you hit the nail on the head - they want someone other than themselves to blame. Their anger may dissipate before the boss gets back.

The dogs are a little unsettled this evening. The corn next door is being picked, and the combine makes a low, rumbling noise as it passes near the house. The pups aren't quite sure what is making that unusual noise.

Mary, sorry to hear about the teacher. Those are such hard things to go through at a school.

Julie, no need to apologize for the lengthy post. The info on Perth's composting program was very valuable to me - I'm on my town's environmental commission and I am supposed to write a section on household composting. Your comments have been a huge help to me! I've already looked up your town's website and am getting some great info. Thank you! By the way, we signed up for the variable rate electric program last fall and it has saved us quite a bit.

Denise mentioned reading time, and I'm going to try and sneak in a little extra tonight. My library book is due tomorrow; I was losing interest but now it's getting better. I have to decide tonight if it's worth 40 cents to keep it until Sunday!

V.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Back from attending an hour of DSs gig tonight, just in time to see the last inning..did I mention that his band got a gig at Applebees (of all places)..It was kind of strange , with the retirees etc streaming in to dine ( term used loosely) and DSs very edgy and very loud band playing on the patio. They are not a cover band and write their own music .

1st day back at work, spent most of it dealing with all the e-mails , and trying to prioritize the rest of my week. We are expecting rain starting tomorrow night and through the weekend-I surely hope it really shows upwe are in such need of it. Maybe Ive drug out my last hose for a few months. No frost on the horizon for at least the next week.

We have single stream recycling in Napa Countywe have a 55 gallon blue toter and there is no need to separate glass, paper etc;all goes in . I put way more in that than I do my trash can, which is much smaller (30 gal I think) and we also have 55 gal yard waste. I fill that one up almost every week, lol ! The yard waste goes to a composting facility, and county residents can buy finished compost for 7 dollars a yard (you pick- up, think its 25$ delivered) All are collected every Wednesday, so I wheel them out Tues PM. They ask that we not put the blue recycle tote out unless it is at least ½ full. I put mine out about 3 times a month. My neighbor and I joke over the fence about how much glass (i.e. wine and beer bottles) it sounds like we have in our respective bins.

I certainly admire the stamina of our friends of the far north- 21 degrees is not unheard of here , but only once in my memory can I recall it being that cold after sun-up..that would be the year of the Big Freeze. Typically it only freezes in clear weather , and the coldest temps are between midnight and sunrise. If it is overcast, it does not freeze. This is why we have no snow to speak of, except in high elevations, where it is appreciably colder. The snow is usually 3 or 4k elevation or above. We have had snow here on the valley floor maybe 4 times in the twenty years Ive lived here.

Woody, I love your lawn with the paths around. That is a really nice size , easily mowed and maintained. Is this the only lawn you have ? The link you posted asked me for a log in , so I could not view. Perhaps others experienced the same ?

I went one and only one field trip, when DD was in 3rd grade, to the San Francisco Ballet. I had a splitting headache when I got home and vowed never again. Kept the vow. I was an unfit mother.

(((Mary))) and (((Jerri))). I had a co-worker who had a child with Crohns, it was very rough for them as I recall. This was many many years ago- hoping treatment has improved for you ..

I hear you loud and clear Denise, on the giant proportions attained by Mexican Salvias. I finally yanked my beloved "Limelight" , after enduring flopping and no blooms till Oct for many years. And if there is an early frost you can almost forget seeing the blooms at all.
    Felix has made the reading listFilm Noir in print is right up my alley ! James M. Cain gets reread every few years.

Ok, Ive rambled enough for tonight , and am sending out a search warrant for Babs, Eden, Cindy, who else?

Kathy in Napa

A bit of fall color from Oregon. I like the way this came out with the red pelargonium and the maple. {{gwi:181965}}From portland oct 08

• chelone
    15 years ago

Wow! such fun, newsy posts to greet me this morning. What a nice way to start the morning.

Woody, I saw only one "before" picture of your home, but it was enough to convince me that you and Randy have put a lot of thought and effort into "feathering your nest". It looks terrific, and loving all things formal, I particularly like your cool, inviting lawn area. Wouldn't you just love to be able to see a "bird's eye view" of everyone's properties? where is the shed in relation to the lawn shown above?

'bug, everyone I know who's had a colonoscopy says the prep and the waiting is far worse than the actual test itself. The helpmeet is going to book one soon, seems his co-workers have been leaning on him heavily as he's the only one there who hasn't had one. I cross the magic threshold very soon and will have to schedule one, too. Dad died as a result of cancer that started in the colon and spread to the liver. It won't last very long and as someone who's had a lot of experience with the reality of rerouted plumbing in the past few years I commend you on "signing up". Hang tough!

Mary, what a very sad event at your school. You're right, no one should have a day like that. How old are the children that were in his class? Kids are so resilient, though; given good information and allowed to experience the emotions surrounding a death in their own way they will be able to file it away successfully and make it part of life's experience. You will know exactly what to say to help that happen, I know it. ((Mary))

Jerri, the son of a friend has Crohn's Disease. He is able to control a good portion of the symptoms by watching his diet, I believe. I will ask some more about it when I see her. But the knowledge that it was a chronic condition was tough on him for a time, took awhile to accept and adjust. I know you will pragmatically make a place for it, too. Speak to me of puppies (which I hate), shelters are bulging with unwanted animals up here, mostly cats, though.

The blame game... all too common these days. But a natural reaction to worry and frustration. And if anything is going to get people wound up it's health care. :( I want to throw up every time the premium arrives in the mail. I fear the tension in households will only increase with the deepening economic issue. But what a sticky place for you to be in at work, V.. It must be hard to steel yourself and simply present the facts without allowing hurt feelings to color your presentation. :(

Denise, I cracked up at the Unsanitary Ridge comment... I actually have a shot of Spencer using The World's Largest Catbox here on the Compound, lol. It's blurry, but confirmed semi-adult that I am I simply couldn't resist snapping it...

I have to get going. Hi to all and be productive today, 'K?

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Sitting in the semi-dark watching the sun just begin to hit the bittersweet in the woods. POP!!!

What tribulations amongst us of late! Thinking of all who need extra strength for themselves and others.

A few "cleanup" pics:

The beginnings of our Thanksgiving bouquet
    {{gwi:181968}}

After one whole week everything is still alive
    {{gwi:181971}}

If I'd bought this it would've been tossed, but these Geranium were started from seed last January and the color is unusual
    {{gwi:181972}}

Outside, various spooky objects have landed in our yard as a result of the wind -- also several huge orange bows. Sent the neighborhood kids out on a mission to discover where they belong. Rich will reaffix them as they find out.

Oh, V. I'm living through watching an otherwise sweet, smart and professional person become something quite other than that work during her last week of work. "No, I'm not giving you any information about my clients that will soon be yours but shouldn't be." "Keep your voice down!!! You've always bothered me!!!" "YOU should be the one goine!!!!" Everyone needs someone to target and I'm trying really hard to just gracefully stay away from the whispered conversations and hateful glances. As much as I "get it" I wish I could have a break for a few hours...though I wouldn't wish it on anyone else.

The food talk has gotten a list started at The Park for our upcoming soire'. Traditional is the easiest with a few twists thrown in. Great produce at the markets so it'll be interesting to see what one can do with squash.

Rich signed a contract for plans this week that WILL (power of positive thinking, here) result in a three-month renovation project. Fingers, toes, eyes, legs, you name it crossed, please. If this doesn't come through some very major changes will need to take place in Rich's life, and neither of us want that to happen.

Off to post my topiary project on the other thread. Everyone keep Denise's 80deg temps in mind :-)

Martie

• saucydog
    15 years ago

I had a post in mind and half typed, but DH is bugging me to death about radiators and what sizes they need to be. Guess I'd better go pay attention before I get something I don't want.

This job has been on hold for 2 winters....and I still don't have a/c in this house.....

Saucy

• deanneart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good morning all,

The oak trees are glorious right now. The Japanese Maple is turning its brilliant red and the climbing hydrangea is a beautiful yellow, a bit deeper than the color of the birches. Soooo.. pretty. Ive been doing a bit of bird photography in the last couple days and having a ball with my yard birdies again. What fun. Ive been bad though as Ive still got a garage full of plants that need potting up. If I keep this avoidance up I wont have as many plants to winter over.

RE: colonoscopy, Woody you are completely correct. I did the deed last fall, November in fact, and the prep is the worst of it. I was really dreading it terribly and had nightmares for days before and felt a bit of a fool when all was said and done. The hospital personnel couldnt have been more professional and caring. I was fortunately given a clean bill of health and dont have to have another for ten years. Um, nine years now

Denise, I grew that Begonia Bellflower last year too but had no success with it unlike Sue. Ill give it a try again this coming season as its such a good color. ~~~ LOL about the Unsanitary Ridge. My kitties are kind enough to use the bark mulch under my hemlock trees. The breeder we got Rahjii from actually used a fine bark mulch mix in her litter boxes and Im wondering if it imprinted on the kittens that was a good bathroom area? Dont know but I never find any presents in the newly dug gardens. ~~ What a bummer about the lobster rip-off!

Jerri, so sorry about your diagnosis. I know youll be OK when you get treated but its always such a kick in the rear when you hear youve got something that isnt going to go away.

Kathy, Im really enjoying hearing about your trip and that maple/pelargonium shot is lovely. ~~ LOL about the post-20 maternal nurturing being about money. Ive found the post-30 nurturing to be exactly the same.~~ so about those begonias, do you prune them back at all? And if not how do you treat so as not to bring any aphids or other buggies in the house? Ive found that a strong hosing just doesnt do the trick.

Bug, sorry about your not being able to use your fireplace. Thats one of the comforts of the weather getting colder. How long it is going to take to fix? ~~Euuuuwwwww!!!! Snow???? Good grief! Its too early for that.

Mary, so, so sorry about the tragedy at work. Thats just awful.

PM glad youre feeling better!

Marian, great old pic! I love those old black and whites. I used to have a Brownie camera too.

Julie and Saucy, you deserve purple hearts for riding on the bus with all those children. That would definitely give me nightmares.

Woody, Im really enjoying all the photos of your house and gardens.

V. love the sound of that lavender with the H. Mocha, nice! And so now you are saving geraniums? Whats next?

Michelle, stripped and nubs it is here. If I dont do that I always wind up bringing bugs in the house regardless of how carefully I treat them and also, if I dont seriously cut them back they just wouldnt fit in the house. Some of those acalyphas were five to six feet tall this year.

Chelone, sorry about the never ending deck project.

Martie, sorry for the difficulties at work. I seriously wouldnt want to deal with that. The situation sounds dreadful. ~~~ Love your Thanksgiving boquet. Its so pretty against those teal colored walls.

OK I seriously have to get off this computer. Waving hello to one and all. Have a great day

Deanne

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

What is it about Fall??? Not only health issues, school issues, money issues but also house issues. Our whole perspective and attitude changes. There's an election and we worry about money. Thank goodness for Hallowe'en and a bit of foolishness. (Yes, that's the lette 'v' missing Chelone. I'm surprised you didn't know that!) Perhaps these issues are related to the melancholy of the season and the lack of light?

Saucy I recall the radiators at our first house and the dreadful accident of DS bouncing with glee on our bed and striking his head on the rad. It took DH and I over a minute to get him to breathe and we truly feared we had lost him. I look upon radiators differently since then. I also have painted many of them over time...yes, I know they should be left unpainted...but...

Martie, your companion story to V's about a co-worker is so sad. When DH works with a friend (a mediator) they talk about the "good guy/bad guy" scenarios. DH gets to be the bad guy, a hard one for his ego, but he understands it is a "role" not his actual self. He gets stroking in other areas of his life to compensate.

Oh, and guys, I am not worried about the procedure next week. I've known many who have gone this route before me and told me it has been no problem, only that the day before is unpleasant. In fact they say you feel really good afterward.

I must deal with DH's breakfast now(LATE!)

Today is sunny and I hope it warms up soon! I'd like to cut back the baptisia, phlox, ironweed, etc...
    'bug

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

{{gwi:181973}}

By late summer, the plants have seized all the sustenance they can from air and earth. Winds scatter seed from grasses turned scarlet, rust, even lavender. The goldenrod finally lives up to its name. Photograph by Jim Richardson

Yay for Rich, Martie! Love that Teal wall with all your garden material in front of it. What will you add to it? The tensions at work sound awful! Can only imagine how scary it must be to be looking for a job right now.

Kathy, whose porch with geraniums, is that? Very modern!

Woody...Love that lawn set off with the mulched path edging! It reminds me of a crochet field. Looks really nice.

Jerri....sorry to hear of the Chron's diagnosis. I just saw something about a football player who has it. I forget which one. I actually have had to have that ruled out in the past due to lots of digestive woes over the years, but while we were trying to figure out what was wrong, I found a group, that has had success with keeping it under control, with a special diet. I found a book at the library called 'Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health through Diet' by Elaine Gottschall. A very interesting person whose daughter suffered with Chron's for years and was very sick with it before finding a doctor who tried this diet with her. She stayed on the diet for 2-5 yrs, I forget and has been doing well ever since. So the mother was so impressed, she wrote this book for others. Her story is explained better in the book. She has quite a following and there is also an online support group. Her diet plan is called 'The Specific Carbohydrate Diet' or SCD Diet.

Denise...Your posts are always interesting, long or short. I should be reading 'Novels in Three Lines'. I could be a little more concise. :-)

Gravel gardens sound like fun. Have you read the book 'Beth Chatto's Garvel: Drought Resistant Planting Through the Year'? I really enjoyed her woodland garden book, so perhaps her gravel garden would provide some inspiration. Not that you need any...lol. You probably have your plants already!

Can identify with 'recalibrating' parenting. Our DD is moving into her first apartment with roommate, this coming weekend. That's going to take some adjusting.

Marian...nice that you can scan photos into the computer. I bought a scanner/printer combo when we got the Apple laptop, but haven't tried scanning anything yet.

Sun is out this morning, yay!

pm2

• jak1
    15 years ago

Good Morning all!

On the colonoscopy thing: I went this summer, and all went well - they knocked me out for the procedure so I was kind of surprised to wake up and go home. A few days before the test, I jokingly asked the doctor if wine was a clear fluid. His reply: "sure, but only white wine". He was serious....so I was able to have a thimbleful the night beofre - no more than that because with no food in your system you can get pie eyed pretty quick and the last thing I wanted in the , well, second last, was a hangover!

*LOL* at the definition of Post-Maternal nurturing. I'm hoping to be through that stage by the time Inter.Phil is 30 so I can start saving for THD (also known as TCS)'s future...

Woody, your lawn area looks so neat and lovely with the mulched border. Much easier to mow too I bet. and it really defines the border gardens better than if it was left to grow righ up to the edges. Good thinking!

V., as much as EVERYBODY in town is whining about it, I think the green bin program is going to really make a difference. I have two concerns: one, is how stinky this bin is going to be in the summer (pet waste, don't forget, and not bagged) and I wonder if the plastic bin with the metal locking handle will become brittle and break in the cold winter - usually we get -20C or colder (-4F).
    But at $2.50 a tag, our individual hand-it-over costs should certainly diminish. If you need more info. I can pick up a package to send you showing the instructions etc.

Mary, I hope things are settling down at school. Twice we had to deal with sudden deaths at our school at separate times - both were accidental deaths of students and it was very difficult.

Doger, the clem sure looks like Etoile Violet to me too.

Marie, are you going to the Shaw Festival or is it over for the season now? I haven't been for years.....I miss doing these things. What's up with the fireplace? Aren't things interesting when codes and rules change and you are still in a turn of the century, well I mean really old, house? I am in a turn of the century house too but the century I'm talking about was 1999 to 2000 ! (Our old house was built the century before).

The rest of you sure are dealing with lots of stuff - health issues, and their costs too, gardens that you can still work in, renovations under way, jobs that are just no fun right now, or no jobs. Wow, there is just so much to cope with all the time. Things are supposed to settle down as one ages, right? No? Well darn anyway. All the best to you guys.

Off to Costco for the whole day, our monthly day in the big bad city....

Later.

Cheers,

Julie

15 years ago

V - I hope the issue with your co-workers has simmered down. That's a tough one to take the brunt of anger that is probably really about them wanting to kick themselves for making the wrong decision but directing that anger at you instead. The whole American health system scares the daylights out of me - in the current economic climate, there must be a lot of extra-worried people when they consider health costs on the top of job worries/job losses.

Martie - what an uncomfortable situation for you to be in too. Preventing a situations like that is undoubtedly one of the the reasons why it is usual to have people leave work immediately after they've been notified they are on the cut-back list. Too bad your company didn't take that approach. The benefit of having the person be there to notify customers etc. does not outweigh the added stress on the 'survivors' when you get an employee reacting like that! I hope Rich's contract for that job comes through.

Chelone - here's a picture that shows the shed in relation to the lawn:
    {{gwi:181974}}
    The shed still looks a bit 'raw' as it will take another year or two for plantings to fill in around it and blend it into the woodland areas a bit more. The tree trunk in the picture is the ash that I'm afraid of losing to the borers.

Kathy - The back lawn is now our only stretch of lawn that looks like a lawn! The lawn in the front is now just grassy paths between the beds. I linked the house picture rather than including it directly because I've posted it before so some have already seen it. I'll include it this time so you can see it. I made a typo on the date when I linked it - the picture is from March 1999 just after we bought it:
    {{gwi:181975}}

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

We are having some fabulous weather here. We havent even had frost after that one low night so except for the annuals everything is pretty much intact. Although, the wind on Sunday stripped leaves and blew down some perennials. I am working on taking the rattier plants out first. I have about 1 ½ hours to spend in the garden in the evening. Last evening I pulled all the annuals out of the Secret Garden so that area is pretty much done.

Woody, I really like the changes you made to your home 100% improvement.

Mary, Im so sorry to hear of the young teachers death. Hugs to you.

Jerri, sorry about the Chrons diagnosis. I hope its a mild case and you are successful treating it. Hugs to you too.

Im a little young for the colonoscopy but DH has had one and needs a repeat in a year. He has polyps that need "watching" lucky him.

bug, it certainly isnt easy keeping up an old house. We add to it 6 outbuildings as well. DH is going to add metal siding to our extra garage looking to no outbuilding painting as we age.

Martie, I hope the job pans out for Martie.

Kathy, lovely fall scene the deck is neat too.

Ive done my share of field trips too, no dramatic events but certainly glad I dont have to deal with it anymore. Fun at the time though.

PM, the Vermont picture is stunning. My Frosty Morn is in full sun and in a garden that I dont water. The one in the lower right is Purple Emporor and is somewhat floppy and slow growing maybe next year ;o)

Lately Ive noticed that Jaden does her deed nearer to the house. She used to go out to the wilds, but I think she doesnt have as much energy as she ages and this is easier. Im not liking it.

The leaf eater just went past. I was wondering if your cities have that service? You rake the leaves out into the gutter and daily during leaf season they come by and it gobbles them up. Of course they didnt have it when I lived in town.

Enjoy your day

Michelle

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Thank you guys for the support. As usual, you are the best! Even though Mom had Crohn's forever, I never realized it was an autoimmune disease. And that autoimmune diseases usually come in clusters.
    Mine is accompanied by an autoimmune inflamatory spinal arthritis. The treatment is immune blockers which are as scary as the disease. I'm exploring alternative treatments. I am also learning a lot about stress management as well as environmental issues. Thanks for the diet link too. I will be checking that out.
    You're right Chelone, it takes a while to deal with the fact that there is no 'cure' and you are basically trying to treat symptoms. :-\

Enough of that. Back to the fall foliage and gardens. I love the grasses in particular!

Jerri

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

To make up for the depressing news I will share the great news, although it is not totally finalized.
    We finally have a buyer for my parents house!!!! You have no idea what a huge relief this is. Chelone, this house is the second HTTF. Dad buried himself in the gardens and the house was not kept up since Mom was unable to do it properly. Handling all that when none of use were close was just a nightmare. But the nightmare has come to an end. YIPPEE!!!!! I know there are other Idylls who are going through the same thing or have gone through it in the past. Hugs to you all. This too shall pass. ;)

Jerri

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Very nice news on the house Jerri! I like GOOD news!

I managed to begin some garden clean-up after lunch. Just a bit: yanked out the verbena bonariensis, cut back a large baptisia. Phoebe raced around like a wild Indian while I worked. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and 60F so I'm hoping to make it a big clean-up day! I still have a few dozen bulbs to plant.

Julie: "Things are supposed to settle down as one ages, right?" Hahahahahahahaha...........

PM2, hot baths are a no-no for my present problems. I LOVE very HOT baths too... I do have a lavender candle i burn when I have a bath soak. It came from my Mom ages ago, so it is fun to think of her.

Today I bought popover pans. Woody knows how I love them...but last week when I made them they failed on me and resembled hockey pucks. After all these years of success, I was annoyed. So elevation can't be the problem, room temperature ingredients seems right, no over mixing of batter, hmmmm. I'm going to try again.

I also bought a duck for a nice dinner, maybe this weekend. I don't make it often, but it is fun for a small number of people. I wish Sarah's family could be here...but not this time. Phoebe has never met Indy dog!

DH gives a late class this evening. He enjoys this group of students a lot, which is always a nice bonus. There seldom are female students which is a mystery to me. This year's class is mostly Iranian and Chinese, with a few Canadians sprinkled in. The teaching Assistant is from Bangladesh. He is going to be leaving soon as he just discovered his Mom has lung cancer spreading everywhere. Although his wife and young daughter live here, he will be spending several months away with Mom. Boy, life is a soap opera for everyone!

15 years ago

gb - sometimes hockey-puck popovers just happen! Room temperature ingredients, well greased popover pans and a hot oven are important - but even then sometimes they just refuse to cooperate :- ) I always hold my breath until I actually see them start to 'pop' :-) When we bought a new stove recently, I made sure we got one with a convection bake function since I find that helps. I was not happy when the convection feature died on our old stove.

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Deanne, I blame you and Michelle for the geranium that came inside this year! Next thing you know, I'll be buying fuschias...

Just spoke with DS and he may have tickets for a large gathering in Chicago's Grant Park on Tuesday evening next week. (was that subtle enough?) He didn't get the "no more tickets available" message on the website, so he's waiting to hear. It could be a rather exciting event to attend.

Another quiet day at the office, so I think that the ill winds may have passed. Woody, I'll try and stay off my soap box, but you are right - the health care system in this country is just bonkers.

Since this is probably the last day when it will be light when I get home, I took a few fall photos to share. The cabbage and kale are on sale for half-price, so I couldn't resist adding some to the gourds I bought last weekend.

{{gwi:181976}}

Since I didn't have the heart to do fall clean-up on these, I will be "cleaning up" the results next summer. But they're sure pretty right now.

{{gwi:181978}}

Another thing that the idylls influenced into my yard is callicarpa hybrid. This time of year, you understand the common name of beautyberry.

{{gwi:181980}}

Pizza's here so I am gone.

V.

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

OK V... I get it!

I'll subtly slide by on #100 here so someone else can do a creative title for the #407 Idyll.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Hooray, its raining , and a real live Northern California rain it is too, with water running in the gutters and the snails waiting in the wings. Lookin like rain and showers through Monday. I can put away the hose, and get out the Sluggo.

What a nice bunch of posts today..perfect for a rainy evening with NO baseball, nor is there baseball in the foreseeable future. I have one big pile of books waiting for me. Since I will be forced indoors over the weekend I shall ponder the chores needed in that venue..I think some heavy duty cleaning will be in order, and maybe a bit of cooking . Ill be heading into another one of my ten day work week gigs starting Monday so a couple of dishes laid by will be helpful .

Martie, how very uncomfortable to have the lay-off victims still around. In our company they get their checks and a packet and are walked to their car, even if they are rehireable. It seems a bit cold ( and not pleasant if you are helping them pack and providing the escort service ) but it does limit the exposure of people who might be bitter, angry ,crying etc to the employees who still have their jobs and are also nervous and upset. I am in active finger crossing for Rich what tough times it is out there for those in his line of work. I LOVE your cool Thanksgiving arrangement !

Chelone, for your goulish pleasure : The Ghost Map , by Steven Johnson, the 1854 London cholera epidemic

Deanne, I only prune back the begonias if they are too ungainly for the location I have to put them in. It rarely gets below 55 degrees in the house over the winter and the biggest issue is the light. Our winters can be quite grey and the begonias tend to get tatty looking if they are not getting bright light. Im going to put the smaller ones upstairs in my boudoir this winter (i.e. those in 6 or 8" pots) because I have a western exposure there. I have never had problems with insects at all. My plants will be in the house from the first frost (still to come here) and I usually put them back out in March or early April.

We Catholic kids know that Halloween is All Hallows Eve aka the eve of All Saints Day on Nov 1st . The 31st is All Souls Day ..ergo the feast of ghosts, spirits etc.

PM, I love the pic you posted today do you know where it was taken ?
    The photo yesterday was my BILS house in Portland. I wish I had b-4 pics to show you; it was in quite a state when they moved in. The photo below is from last Christmas, and the pic I took last weekend is to the right. This will give you an idea of the front of the house. It does have a modern look.

Woody, thanks for posting the b-4 house view , wow , what a difference. The bow front window is recognizable but thats about it. Wonderful transformation.

Marian, thats a neat little coat on your DS too-bet it was wool. I dont remember you living in Nevada ? Were you in the mountains or at lower elevations ?

Michelle, our street sweepers only manage to get to each neighborhood about once a month. This is a city revenue issue and since we have actual street quality problems (potholes etc) the budget tends to go in that direction.

Jerri, Im glad you are researching and seeking various methods of control for your health problems. Though diseases are real and often serious, it always amazes me what a positive and pro-active attitude can do to help people improve quality of life and enjoyment of life. I have seen so many people just give up in the face of such things, many of them minor. Though the things happening in our bodies are sometimes out of our control, the things in our mind are not. Stay strong and hang tough ! ..Oh and I am reassured to know that somewhere , someone is actually buying a house !

V, I love that chair. Sort of a contempo-looking wicker..very nice ! Following the drift of the Tuesday night gathering..very exciting. The last gathering I went to like that was at the Ambassador Hotel in LA in June of 1964 . We could not get inside. That evening did not end well.

Looks like this is number 100, and since you guys are probably all in bed, I may start the next

Kathy in Napa

Christmas Day 2007 {{gwi:181982}}From 2007_12_25