Blossom where the rose should grow;

I shall sing when night's decay

Ushers in a drearier day.

By Emily Bronte

Comments (104)

• deanneart
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Evening all, just a quick drop in here. I don't know what was going on but we had an enormous flock of robins around all morning today. When this one sweet bird decided to hang around in the dogwood tree I decided I had to break out the scope and old Nikon 995. Anyway, I couldn't resist the colors in this pic and thought you'd all enjoy seeing it.

{{gwi:182098}}

• just_t
    17 years ago

Congratulations to G'ma Marie!!!!

:o)

T.

• chelone
    17 years ago

Ahh, 'bug! you are so cute. I'm happy for you and everyone else who is "involved". I know it's early yet, so I'll add my thoughts for a healthy, safe, enjoyable "waiting period". :) How very exciting. Will your knitting project be booties or a "blankie"?

Deanne, amazing picture of the Robin. They are so pretty!

Kathy, I'm sort of curious about book groups, too. I am pretty much anchored to the house now and I could be tempted by the idea, depending on whether or not the book "grabbed" me. I just finished "The Forsyte Saga", loved it, but it was tedious in a few places. Lately, I've been more interested in history... esp. The Tudor family of England.

I had to scrape the windshield for the first time yesterday morning. Some of the plants have been a bit more heavily bruised than others. Like, you, Woody, I have the mitigating influence of the Atlantic ocean to stave off the first advances of Old Man Winter. Spring comes late for me, though.

Good to hear that Martie "kicked back" with such pleasant distractions. We're in for the same bout of weather today. They are calling for 12-20' seas... we'll see... . I'm rather wishing I'd taken the canopy down, but it's securely laced on the frame and it's too late to do anything about it now.

For the curious of you:

{{gwi:182099}}

{{gwi:182100}}

{{gwi:182101}}

I don't understand why some of the pictures have a jaundiced look about them, but you can see the product at any rate!

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Morning all, well, we are in for that bout of screaming weather all weekend here too. They are saying this afternoon the rain is supposed to be coming in torrents. Thank heavens it isnt snow or wed be up to our necks. You know the weather system is pretty extreme when you see Jim Cantori from the Weather Channel up in your neck of the woods. LOL

Chelone, love, love, love those shades! Everything about them is perfect. Your work area is marvelous too. I wish I had room for my studio to be above ground with good north facing windows but that isnt going to happen in this lifetime unless I win a lottery.

Kathy, neat idea about doing a reading group here. Id be interested but will have to say up front that I have real difficulties wading through books I dont like so Id be a participant if I can deal with the chosen books.

V. great to hear from you. How was that pizza? I can tell Im dieting again because normally pizza doesnt appeal to me anymore but when Im calorie deprived I salivate at the merest mention of anything with melted cheese on it.

Martie, glad to hear you took it easy yesterday and it looks like we are all going to be housebound up here in the NE today too.

Marie! Congratulations! How wonderful for your family. You must be over the moon. Now well be enjoying photos of another Idyll grandbaby.

Woody, glad to hear you and Misty are recovered from the dog bite attack. That still makes my blood boil every time I think about it. ~~ I ROTFLOL when I read about your trying to get the EE out of the pot. The imagery on that was too much and just the kind of thing I would do and why the neighbors think Im a bit cracked.

OK I guess I cant use the rain as an excuse not to go to the gym so Id better finish my coffee and get out of here. Have a great Saturday everyone.

Deanne

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Okay, Chelone, this is a serious offer:

I will trade houses with you for a weekend and take care of your Mom and Biggie Dog (but not necessarily the helpmeet ;-) if you come to my house where fabric and space will be available and you make me drapes. Deal? Your projects are amazing. I think I can sew, but you construct.

Still going through the pic threads and delighting in the new things I'm finding.

Deanne: Love that Robin! Did you get all the fuchsias in?

We are being buffetted by wind and rain and will not be leaving the house All Day!! I'm feeling much better, no longer look five months pregnant (flipped out the poor check out lady at the grocery store whom I know well and let her think "Yes" for just a moment ... :-) and today will be finishing the Forest Farm book and narrowing down the list.

Having never been a huge fan of conifers and being out of the hybrid loop for awhile, need a good recommendation: Height doesn't matter but it would be nice if it could be tall and not more than 2' wide. I'd love some white or yellow coloration. Will be planted on the corner of the house with 'Blaze' rose on one side and the aforediscussed Sambucus on the other. Basically it will be used to separate the colors of those two plants, soften the corner, be a backdrop for 'Shropshire Lad' and define the transition between the front and side of the house.

The front of the house is various short-leaved Rhody's, some Kalmia, Sambucus that will be interplanted with "French Lace' and a tri-colored coleus with maroon, lime green and yellow in the foliage. Cuttings have taken!!!

Help with a good choice that will be the benchmark of the road view??? Thanks!!!

V - why is it that sales can't just even out sometimes?

Kathy - I would really like to read a book with everyone this winter. Though fiction is my least-favorite, I'm willing to participate no matter what the selection. How fun will/would this be?

BTW: Has anyone seen the movie based on Marie Antoinette? DS the history major says it might be accurate .....

Was thinking of Bella and Kenzie and Jamie, etc. last night when our elder neighbors had their grandchildren over for an early Halloween party. I knew ahead of time, and they arrived at the door dressed as the three bears and Goldilocks. The G. character had on a blond wig that almost reached the ground and everyone was just cute! How can kids Not be cute when they're between 2 - 8 and eager for their pick of puzzles and candy?

Am sitting here looking east (per usual) and watching the rain. It'll be a peaceful day as long as we keep the music loud enough to mask the wind. LOL

Rambling - Hi to everyone! Those of you also on the Right Coast, be sure to take cover .... "Blown Away" should be a Good thing!!!

Martie

• wendy2
    17 years ago

As Winnie the Pooh would say, "It is a blustery day!" It is awful out there, I just returned from driving DS up the highway to a birthday party at a laser tag place. The rain isn't so heavy right now, but the winds are really picking up. As Deanne says, good thing it isn't snow, I'm just not ready for that yet.

We haven't been heavily frosted here, no window scraping yet, and the coleus outside are hanging on for the most part. DH dragged the brugs inside for me the other night, they really look huge in the basement! The weather will be warming up a bit next week and I mentioned taking them back out, but I was informed that they had only purchased a one-way ticket.

Marie, what wonderful news! Congrats and best wishes to all. LOL about GS, he is probably looking for a live-in playmate! My nephew, who is an only child, was about the same age as your GS and looking forward to the birth of my DD, who would be the 2nd grandchild in the family. When he came to the house and saw her for the first time, as she lay sleeping in her cradle, he said "Is that all?" BTW, you'll love that faucet with the higher tap, we have something similar. It is so nice to be able to get those big pans underneath it easily.

Chelone, what a lot of talent you have. I love the fabric, and the fringe sets it off perfectly.

Woody, I haven't unpotted my large elephant ears yet, now I am not looking forward to it! I'll make sure to recruit a helper.

Kathy, a book club might be interesting. I read a lot, but I tend to ramdomly choose books from the bestseller or new book racks at the library. How to choose a book?

Well, time to go fold the laundry before venturing back out to pick up DS. I'm sure he is having a great time, and he would have been very bored being cooped up inside all day.

Enjoy the day!

-Wendy

• just_t
    17 years ago

Good morning (for a few more minutes it is morning here).

It is very foggy here but is promising to be a dry and decent day. I need to finish moving the mulch as today is the nicest day in the extended forecast. I should have finished it a long time ago......but weather and lack of free time kept me from devoting time to it (sound like decent excuses? Nah, I didn't think so either).

I made the twins' Halloween costumes...just finished them yesterday afternoon. The outfits barely fit across the chest/shoulders, but I knew they would only be wearing them for a short period of time while they 'Trick or Treat' a few neighbors and relatives. Their mother chose what she wanted them to be.....two little pea pods with peas. It might have been cuter to have made a big pod out of something rigid but soft (thinking some packing type of sheet foam spray painted green) and then made the boys some outfits to make them look like peas (two peas IN a pod).......but this worked and their mother was happy. I'm glad to have them done and now can move on to some of my own projects. :)

Well, I'm going to go make some lunch for DH & myself.....then get outside to work on the mulch/flower beds.

T.

P.S. I did some retouching on Jake's face as he had a very red nose and upper lip from having his face smooshed against his mom's shoulder while he was napping.....and I messed up his lip line with my attempts to remove the red, lol...Poor tyke... Jake on left, Josiah on the right...they are almost 12 weeks old now.

{{gwi:182102}}

• chelone
    17 years ago

LOL!

Had I ever squeezed out a kid it would have been hopelessly destroyed by my penchant for "dress up" and practical jokes.

Quiet here today, huh?

• just_t
    17 years ago

I guess I should have described what they were 'suppose' to be.....LOL.

They are pea pods as I mentioned. The dark green is suppose to be the split open pea's interior and the big balls are the peas inside the pod, of course. Oh and they had little stems on their heads....The bottom of their outfits are pointed, but Josiah had moved so tucked his 'point' underneath and I cut Jake's point off with the camera.

I wasn't sure if they were self explanatory or not ;o) (all the bits and pieces...). I think the peas would have looked better if they had been made differently and would have appeared to sit 'down' into the dark green.......

They are done and at 12 weeks, the boys won't know that I could have improved upon things if I had done things differently. LOL

Chelone...I bet you could have come up with some awesome costumes!

• chelone
    17 years ago

They're going to just LOVE it when you haul this picture out an have it inserted into their Senior yearbooks, lol!

Those costumes are just wonderful.

LOL! (I told you I'd be a terrible parent)

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Oh goodie! T wants to talk babies! I'm game to talk weddings, babies, whatever. ;-) I even went to two knit shops today to look at patterns. You wouldn't believe the cute stuff out there. Oh brother...I'm in deep trouble. You can't garden and knit at the same time.

Well Chelone, what amazing 'curtains' you whipped up! You'll be in tropical paradise with butterflies whenever you are working there. You can come here too! The lace piece hanging on our bathroom window has been worked on by the cats. When cats climb lace....well it doesn't look great. I never wanted anything covering that window - after all, it is a huge distance to the next house and no one ever sees in there, but somehow all the city folk are distressed by an open window. So I came up with the length of pretty lace. Time for something new I guess. But I gave up sewing ages ago. Our cat swallowed a needle with the thread attached- and I ran off to the vet's with her and never sewed again! That was at least 20 years ago.

Well, DH is back from his protest walk, I from shopping. Then after lunch we bought the insulation for the basement and grass seed for the muddy mess created outdoors with our new drainage area. Little by little things get going.

Yes, I like to read too, but like Deanne, have trouble if the start of a book is difficult. The English Patient for example. When the kids were small it was all mysteries. Then it was all gardening books. In fact, it still is! But I'd enjoy a group read here.

OK, time to move on here and accomplish something indoors! Outside is a drizzly mess with a muddy creek.
    'bug

• flowerluvr
    17 years ago

Hi--just a fly by
    Congrats, Marie!!

T, those two little pea pods are just ADORABLE!!!!!!!!
    Howdy to everyone else!

VROOOM, VROOOOOOOM!!!!
    Brenda

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

T, your pea pod costumes are great! I never made anything that could remotely compare with them. The twins are getting cuter and cuter.

Chelone, I can't even remember what Tim wore when he went trick or treating! Talk about being a 'terrible' mother! I never took any pics of whatever he wore.... He probably just mostly had on a mask.

I guess I burned everyone out on my over load of pics on my thread????
    Here is one I DO want to share, that I took this morning right after we got home from breakfast at the One Stop.

{{gwi:182103}}

Then I went out into the woods and took more. This is one of the best:

{{gwi:182105}}

Our color is still great. The oaks are coloring up now, and some other things...like the forsythia bushes.
    It is an absolutely gorgeous day today...no wind...bright sunshine...and warm.

Nolon has spent the afternoon up at the mill, cutting another pickup load of firewood. He just now returned with it.

Tim came yesterday evening. He said the hospice workers give Marvin about 10 more days. He,(Marvin), is still helping with the house building. He is surely to be admired for his tenacity. He is still in denial. Such a sad situation.

Marian

• martieinct
    17 years ago

T: I can hear them talking:

Josiah: "I am completely embarrassed! I can't believe Mom wanted Grandma to do this to me. What will I tell my friends? I can't even kick it off!!!!"

Jake: "AAaaaaaaaaa, don't be such a party pooper. Who knows? We may get something more than milk!! Now look cute so all the ladies will love us and send us cards on our first birthday!!!"

You get the idea. LOL

They are precious!!

Martie

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Almost forgot:

For yet another reason I am jealous of Marie. I tried knitting but it doesn't go fast enough for me so it ends up getting a bit tight, as in can't remove it from the needle.

So, Marie, please post progress pics!! One of my fav gifts for Ky was a handknit "bag with legs" I could pop him in without frying the poor kid on cool days but still covered up the sock to pants gap that every infant encounters :-)

Martie

• taryn
    17 years ago

T the peapod sweeties are just too cute! Chelone, love your handiwork--you are very talented. You too Deanne, that colour wheel is very neat. For sure you'd be able to sell that. Actually that "other site" has a new selling forum, free to list, and only 5% fees when your item sells. See link below. Make up some calenders! Love the robin too...

Oh Martie, what an awful day you had! What a jerk that driver's boyfriend was, freaking on you, when they hit you! I'll stop whining now. Sounds like your doing some much-needed self-soothing. Next time I catch my dreamboat avatar I'll ask if he has a twin and send him to pay you a visit, lol!

Hope all the "female conditions", both happy, annoying and more serious go smoothly. I don't know what my particular problem is, but one day a month I can't be away from a bathroom for more than 20 minutes. This hormone-induced hemorrahaging is the pits, and I don't know what I'll do when I get a job. And I seem to be losing lots of hair lately, what's with that? Read an article in Oprah called "Beauty over 40--7 things nobody ever tells you about aging" The charming list includes:
    1) The hair on your face
    2) The hair (that used to be) on your head
    3) thinning eyebrows
    4) your nose and ears seem to be growing
    5) What big teeth you have! (receding gum fun)
    6) Your hands are veiny and spotty
    7) your feet are gnarly

So what's there to look forward to this decade? Laser hair removal and being "lucky" if I don't need Depends? Good grief, just shoot me now! LOL, what we go through! If men went through this hormone crap there'd be much better treatments available.

Woody, and all, thanks for the commiseration on the wasp misery. Woody, that is such a tender area as you know from experience, and it was so swollen and itchy/sore for two days I could hardly stand it! Devin got stung last night. :( Glenn did go up in the attic, but there was nothing live out there, so they must be getting in from outside somehow. That's a scary thought--where? We are going to winterize the windows with that plastic cellophan stuff and see what side of the plastic the wasps end up on--that'll be a clue.

Had a much better day Thursday. It was a gorgeous, mild and sunny day, which was a treat after days on end of rainy, dreary, gray. I had an appointment in Oakville, Woody's neck of the woods, and the fall colours were just glorious! Woody you're right, you guys haven't been touched yet. It was particularly stunning going back home via the 403 up Hamilton mountain. Just gorgeous, and a treat for sore eyes.

Marian your fall colours are great! I've refrained from commenting on all the individual pic threads as it would take me hours to load them back to back and I don't have hours. Don't want to leave anyone out, but over the past days and weeks have enjoyed them all.

It's all just about over here, except for the actaea, which are holding their burgandy. Eden, I keep meaning to mention, that is the local weed around here, the Baneberry. It grows by the roadsides. I was a bit scared when I found the one in my borders had sent runners under the landscape fabric in all directions. How do you control yours? Is it a clumping type?

Continued my drive Thursday southwest, nearly to Tillsonburg, to pick up a new $100.00 (used once) sump pump for a cool $30.00. Also picked up a voltage metre for $13.99, on sale from a regular $39.99. Between the wet basement and the wiring issues in this place, we have our work cut out for us. Deanne, though the thought of mould scares me, I have to think that it is a one hundred year old house, it has been this way for a long time, and so far there is no sign of mould. I'm going to spray the walls with 5% bleach solution periodically as a preventive measure anyway. And next season, Glenn will begin drainage work to stop the water coming in, so hopefully we'll have less to pump out

We are having rainy, windy, blustery weather here too. Glenn and I went to a local Antique place in nearby Waterford and got some good deals. An old metal washtub to hold firewood, a brass fireplace tool kit, two wooden African masks similar to one we already have, and a wooden chess/checkers set. Grand total $53.00. Okay, time for dinner. Made homemade burgers and they smell great. Have a great Saturday evening all...

Best,

Taryn

P.S. Kathy, I was thinking the same thing re having a cyber book club! Count me in!

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Hi All, Happy Saturday.
    Trying to wind down here after a rough day..my DD who works at a winery (Hess) brought me a leftover bottle of 03 Cab from the tasting room which was just what the doctor ordered !
    I appreciate all the feedback from my book reading suggestion.. my thought was that we do this in winter and maybe a garden related book not too many pages would be a good selection. Maybe we only do 1 or 2 this winter, and if you dont want to participate that is cool. So perhaps we start in late November which would allow everyone who wants to participate to get the book? Two books that come to mind :
    "From The Ground Up-A Story of A First Garden" by Amy Stewart. Only 260 pages and the pages are about half-size.
    Or "Second Nature" by Micheal Pollan.. I assume some of you have read "The Botany Of Desire ", this book is earlier. Any other ideas ??

Chelone- I love history too,I will be reading "The Eygyptologist" which is fiction , but literary fiction I guess. Love those Palm Tress on the curtains. Im an LA girl so the tropical stuff always gets me.

Martie, I wish I could grow Kalmia here-I love it ! But its too hot, dry and probably not cold enough in the winter
    Wow T, I am feeling less curmudgeonly with those two peas in a pod ! How clever !!

OK Marian , You keep mentioning breakfast at the One Stop. Im thinking this is a place full of regulars who all know each other? Love that !! We have the Soscol Café and Buttercream Bakery here in Napa ! Love the photos too..

LOL Taryn , the beauty over 40

Got to go, time to read the paper and have some dinnerBoo Hoo , baseball season is over !

Kathy in the Napa Valley

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

I havent posted a regular note in quite a while, so Ill try to jump back in.

Today, we went out for our monthly run of frozen dog food at the feed store in the next town and stopped into one of our favorite little places to eat practically next door to the feed shop. They have wonderful crepes and we got our usual of spinach, feta cheese, tomato savory crepe and then a Sweet Rachel for dessert (lemon, sugar, butter). Simple but delicious. We dont stop in much in the summer b/c were too busy, but during the other seasons it is on our to-do list after the dog food purchase every month. In fact, hubby teased me last month b/c he stopped in to the small cafe quickly for a coffee and came back to tell me they were closing. I burst into tears-how pitiful and funny at the same time. He didnt expect that reaction but I realized that I love our monthly "errand" of dog food and lunch. In fact, they are moving to a new larger soon to be built location right next door. Whew.

T-I love those pea pod costumes-the kiddies look adorable in them! You are talented.

Marie-congrats to you and your family. Youll just have to finish all the knitting over the winter so come spring you can be out in the garden.

Hi Kathy, welcome to the Idylls.

Deanne-beautiful photo of the robin!

Well, thats it for now. Have a great w/end!

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Hi Monique, Thanks for the welcome! Your pics over on the other thread were fantastic !

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Hi all, its been a hectic weekend so far. Kenzie spent the night last, need I say more. Corn harvest is in full swing. Ricks 3 sons and 5 of his grandsons were all over today. I took Kenzie home and we went to a nursery that is in their town. It was so cute, she got out and started walking around the shrubs and said "Gramma, Gramma, Gramma, look flowers. She actually enjoyed our time there. I picked up two shrubs that were 75% off. They both still had fabulous fall foliage, so they should be a good addition. In the afternoon I went to a bridal shower for the bride to be of Ricks son. Tomorrow is the 50th anniversary party for my aunt and uncle.

Deanne, Kenzie is very interested in birds. I showed your picture to her. She said "birrrrd tweet, tweet"

T, what an adorable picture. I immediately knew what they were that is so clever.

Chelone, you do wonderful work.

Marian, Im sure not tired of your beautiful fall pictures. The second one is really a good one.

bug, what an interesting grandfather you had. I also wanted to mention how stunning your sky picture was and how is it that I have never seen a picture of that fabulous gate? I saw it on the perennials thread also. I love the side posts, thats what my gate is missing and I would like to find or make. My gate isnt as ornate, so the posts could be simpler.

Night all
    Michelle

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Good Light Morning! Feels strange that the sun is up and it's not yet 7a. Gotta love "Fall Back." No major wind damage here but the trees, except the oaks and Kousa, are stripped bare. It's beginning to feel like Thanksgiving!

Kathy: Kalmia (commonly known as Mountain Laurel) is our state plant and a lot of the modern hybridization happens at UConn. Since CT is such a very small state, it's easy to pop there from anywhere to see the latest. There are a lot of private gardens with "one of a kinds" that didn't make it to market. More than the dry and lack of cool, Kalmia need practically all-compost soil to grow, and that's hard to create over the long term. Even my clay has some of the nutrients of the woods by virtue of proximity, so Kalmia is a Must in my gardens. Our CT pristine woods are full of it and when it blooms it's like a fairyland. A lot of developers have needed to spend a lot of money to use whatever Kalmia they take out. Since it really doesn't like transplant, they've needed to hire real gardeners to do the work. Triple bonus: Saved natural beauties, luxurious plantings in practically every wooded subdivision, and jobs for gardeners!

Looking forward to the book club. Haven't read any of the suggestions so I'm game!

So good to hear from you, Monique. Surely hope that you and Les will make the trek to Logee's in January. Got to meet the lady to owns all the Rat Terriers in town but still can't convince Rich ...

Taryn: I couldn't wait to hit 40. There was a feeling of "I've paid my dues and now I can do what I want." Rapidly approaching 50 isn't doing much for me, but I can honestly say that my 40's (other than Kyle's birth at 29) have been the best decade, so far.

And -- wish your boys lived next door. Knock on the door last night revealed the three 11yo neighbors, wondering if they could just hang out after being cooped up all day. Thought of your three and wished I could've contacted you. International pen pals are never a bad thing! They ended up teaching Rich how to more quickly download songs to his Ipod. I retreated to the other end of the house :-)

So, today feel like a foray to the fabric store is in order. Need something snazzy for the DR table and am planning to make three runners -- one length-wise and two wide-wise complete with tassles (the Chelone influence). Want something shiny and dramatic. Fake gold charger plates are available at my grocery store for just $2 so may take that plunge, as well. I've never gone for glam but this year it sounds fun!!

Bittersweet will be harvested today and the requisite pineapple arrangement will be made by the end of the week, post Halloween. Found my 2' wide spiders from last year so if the wind dies down, will get them outside.

Not much else going on, here. Went back through all the pic threads last night and feel so grateful that my cyberfriends live in such wonderful places to share.

Best --

Martie

• gardeningmary
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Greeting Idylls

Just wanted to pop in to say Hi. Lots going on, but all of it good.

T - those outfits are ADORABLE!! I knew exactly what they were.

GB - what exciting news! I love knitting for babies.

Kathy - your Idyll Book Club suggestions are great - count me in. I've read all three of the books you suggested and enjoyed each of them. I particularly enjoy Michael Pollan's style and humor. The Botany of Desire is a great book, and Second Nature had particular appeal having learnt many gardening truths the hard way. I'm looking forward to his newest work "The Omnivore's Dilemma" It would be fun for me to discuss a gardening book with other gardeners as there is only one gardener in my regular book club.

Hope to be back later with more news and comments but we're about to embark on pumpkin carving and I must skedaddle.

Mary

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Hmm, only a couple of posts today- Maybe some power outage issues is the Northeast ? Heard a little bit about it on NPR news this morning.
    I'm enjoying my 2 o'clock beer, though my bio-rhthyms think it's three. I'm with you Martie, it's nice to wake up to the sun for a change. On the other hand I'll be BBQing chicken in the dark .
    Since I had to work yesterday I did all my chores today -and raked leaves and swept the patio. So glad I got that done, the patio was looking like a vacant lot in a bad part of town with all the debris from the winds we had last week. I re-potted a couple of my succulents and my Bela Lugosi daylily prolif , and did another half hour of digging in the front. I need to get that front dug up before the rains start.

Mary, I'll have to try to find a book you haven't read! I must say I have never knowingly eaten a potato that wasn't organic since I read the Botany of Desire !
    My dog is begging for a walk---
    Pleasant Sunday eve to all

Kathy in Napa

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Good bright and windy morning!! You may be right, Kathy. The winds here were horrendous yesterday and even with underground utilities we lost power for a few hours. It wasn't freezing, however, and work could be done outside if one wore protective eyegear for the flying leaves, etc. :-)

Not much new in the past 24 hours. Back to work today with a light schedule.

Made it to the fabric store yesterday and ended up "decorating" the entire dining room with 70% off stuff. (Yes, I am the quintescent Scottish Yankee and am always looking for a bargain.) Lots of pretty silks, some incredible fabric, tassle and fringe, actually pretty fake fruit, trivets, etc. Had a blast and ended up shopping with a young woman who was hosting her first Thanksgiving. By the end of the "tour" we had each others phone numbers and I had her promise that she would call me instead of her overbearing and cranky MIL if she needed help. Oh, to be naive at a major holiday and get away with it!! The goal is to have her MIL think she "did" everything. LOL

Halloween decorations are up and candy stocked. Also got some kaliediscopes (sp?) to ease my guilt over sugaring up everyone elses' kids and sending them home.

Off to the rain closet and then out into the bluster!!

Best - Martie

• gardeningmary
    Original Author
    17 years ago

{{gwi:182107}}

My pumpkin was looking a little pale - I think he caught the bug some of the the Idylls had last week.

Happy Monday everyone

Mary

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

OH MARY! What a hoot. That is precisely how DD feels these days too. As for me, I'm trying not to catch a bug but not sure I'm winning. It's the throat and nose...but I'm garggling with salt and taking some meds that are OK with the Diovan and Lipitor.hmmmm.

Today is the only decent weather day on the forecast and so it will be bulb planting, grass seed spreading, and maybe more clean-up. We'll see what's possible. I woke up at 5:30 and the stars were glorious. One of the big perks of country living is the clear crisp sky.

Looks like things are still beautiful in the Ozarks! Tim's friend sounds like a real trooper, putting meaning and effort into every day.

I hope Sue's visit with her Mom was peaceful and pleasant. Did she bring her dog? I expect things will straighten themselves out soon in the medical department. Best wishes for that!

Over the weekend DH managed to install the tar paper and insulation in the basement room. Then he nailed in the wainscoting once more. Next we'll try to get the heating unit working again down there. I see painting in my future once more. :(

I've decided to start knitting a sweater/jacket for DD as a Christmas gift. I chose the pattern and the wool that my neighbour dyes, a variegated blue with many colours in it, and did my practice swatch. Donna will need to make up a sufficient batch for the entire garment for me. Pretty exciting! Don't tell though....

This Friday the French Club takes place here. I also scheduled our annual holiday dinner for the 30th of December. Calender is sure filling up! I hope yours is too...with happy occasions!
    'bug

• just_t
    17 years ago

Mary! LOL Your poor pumpkin does look a bit peaked....poor thing. ;o)

It is 29 degrees here this morning. Our first freezing morning this fall. Last year we had low temps like this in mid September so we've been quite lucky to get another 4+ weeks of nice weather. I have 3 apple trees needing to be planted, should have done it this weekend as Saturday was nice....but the mulch moving was most important--and we did get that done. DH came out and helped me by moving 3 wheelbarrows of it...I was thankful for his help as I was dragging and dreading those last 5 loads. Him doing 3 of the 5 made a huge mental difference for me. I didn't quite have enough mulch to finish the bed as I wanted, but it is a smallish area that didn't get the additional mulch added to it. I've played with the idea of borrowing a pickup to haul a yard of mulch home to finish it off, but I'm still in the 'arms and elbows are so stinking sore that I cannot imagine wanting to shovel any more of this stinky chicken composted stuff'. lol I'm squinting and it looks pretty good if I stay standing far enough away.

I began writing a long post, commenting to many.......but I backtracked and erased it. I didn't figure anyone wanted to begin their Monday wading through one of my long notes.

So...I'll just say 'good morning--hope the day is a lovely one for all' and go get that second cuppa coffee. ;o)

Hello to everyone!
    T.

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Mary, poor pumpkin, lol!

We're having a bit of Indian summer today. Temps in the 60s and sunshine but it's to be shortlived. I hope to get the few bulbs I have in the ground. I've switched over to indoor mode with all of the bad weather we've had and am having a hard time getting in the gardening spirit of things.

Marie, Congratulations! Such great news. You're going to love being a grandma. There's nothing that compares to it and I think you have to experience it to understand that. You're in for such fun!

T, those are the cutest peas in a pod I've ever seen. Great job on the costumes. I knew what they were as soon as I saw the pic. They're just adorable!

Kathy, Count me in for the book club. Though I don't read as much as I did pre-Bella it sounds like fun. I like the idea of reading books that have to do with gardening too.

Martie, sounds like you had a nice weekend. JoAnn Fabrics? They always have such good sales on holiday decorations. Pictures?

Deanne, loved the robin. I've tucked away your bird calendar from a couple of years ago and would like to frame some of the pictures from it for my "office" room if I every get it done. I love the way you have of capturing them in photos. You asked about the kitty perch... it's really just a wide shelf that runs under the window. No carpeting on it, though they would love that. Brad's allergic to the cats so I try to keep things that are fur collectors to a minimum around here which translates to bare wood for them, poor babies.

I really should start in on accomplishing something today so have a great Monday all!

Eden

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Just a quick pop-in -- am mellow, rejuvenated (as much as can be done without plastic & other chemical enhancements); had internet/computer problems at home so I couldnt even check in here....

Have to read thru a bunch & looks like a bunch of gorgeous pics to review - Im going to try to do tonite.

But I will say I had a wonderful relaxing but productive vacation (almost like going to the beach) -- napped, cleaned, played - the only thing NOT cooperating was the weather -- it was danged cold & I only got outside yesterday (finally) to throw some lily bulbs in the ground before the high winds drove me back inside. My place is clean, clean, clean - anyone want to visit now? It's a good time!!! hehehe....

I sure missed the Idylls though -- I hope nothing but beautiful photos, etc., have been going on - I'm going to check quickly; but have a huge amount of stuff that the Boss has "saved" for me -- there's always payback big time when one takes off from work!

--Cindy

• chelone
    17 years ago

Mary, I laughed right out loud and heartily enough that the helpmeet and Mum (who is deaf as a hake) both asked what was so funny. You're my kinda gal. ;)

Martie, I've been keeping my eyes peeled for reasonably realisitic "simulated fruit", too. I went to a place called Michael's and saw stuff I liked but was unwilling to fork over close to $2/ea. for them. I don't have a lot of extra time to shop around (have to get home to Mum in the afternoons). Do any of you happy shoppers have any suggestions for someone who suffers from RAS (retail aversion syndrome)? I oughta put Deanne on the trail since she seems to have such great luck with planters! I'd have been "all over" the chargers, too... add some tassels... yeah, I'm a "neo-Victorian".

The book selections sounds interesting. Nothing I'd probably grab for myself, but sometimes following someone else's lead takes you to new places. Make a choice, and I'll give it a whirl... if it sucks, I'll bag it. :)

We received about 3" of rain on Saturday. And it blew a gale. Same story yesterday, just minus the rain. The awnings on the south side of the house are called, "loose frame awnings". There is a lower bar that fastens to the house with screws through eye ends that fit into a "camel" hinge. The top of the awning is secured with a rod through the top of the canvas that is held fast to the wall with head rod clamps. The wind was so heavy yesterday that it raised the awings almost flat against the building! they'd drop down and bounce a bit, but everything remained secured attached. The deck canopy was no problem, whatsoever. Soon it will be time to take them down for the season and inspect them for damage. The window awnings are about at the end of their life expectancy; maybe this winter I'll make the replacements.

I have managed to acquire a few new hairs on my chinny, chin, chin in the past 10 years. No big whoop. You know, I don't really care a fig about the passing years. My hair has gone from copper red to distinctly "salt and pepper"... and I never bothered to color it (too cheap!). Eh, it is what it is. I'm not 25 anymore. And I wouldn't want to be! I've earned my grey hairs and wrinkles. I'm not nuts about the thickening waist, but until I vow to get serious about it, I have no one to blame by myself. :)

My desk is a disaster. I don't feel like addressing it. I haven't painted the inside windowboxes and the trays and I don't feel like doing that, either. Maybe I'll screw off and watch more of the Forsyte Saga on DVD (just got it; WONDERFUL, very true to the novel, and very lush in cinematograpy!).

For now...

• saucydog
    17 years ago

Chelone, I like your philosophy on womanhood! Why do we find men more handsome as they age and hate it in ourselves? I'm tired of seeing woman sabotage!

Sorry to be gone so long. I've had to leave the homestead for most of the days because the siding is going up, and being in the house with hammering was driving me nuts. I've been working with Nick, volunteering at school, and working across the street.

The pictures are beautiful on this thread....Deanne, it is amazing to see a robin up so close and personal without looking in my bird book. Just T, the peas in the pod are excellent....and I laughed out loud about Chelone's baby comments. I imagine you could come up with some pretty funny costume ideas.

How's Sue? I missed what's going on with the doc but will try to educate myself.

Taryn, hang in! My grandmother always said the worst part about getting old was losing all your hair....then she'd reiterate: ALL your hair, LOL!!!

I know I'm missing everyone, but I just wanted to check in.

With time changing and everything, I'm going to bed....it feels like midnight.

Saucy

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

GB, I'm excited for your family. I'm hoping things go well.

Cute little Pea pods T. What will Jameie's costume be?

I think Wyatt is going to be a Ninja Turtle.

We will only have the four neighbor kids here as usual. Even though there are no mini Snickers left ; ) LOL , Theres enough other stuff. Talk about stuff(ed) , I made Chicken and dumplings for the first time in long,long time. mmmnnn. At this rate I won't be able to waddle by Christmas.

I've been wrapped up in the ballgames (Yeah! Cards) and trying to get things put away for the winter outside. Sunday was so nice out but today was pretty windy and cold and rain on the way back in. I'm still not done.

I'm in for a book reading. My eyes won't let me read for long at a time, but I can get it done.

I'm not to chatty right now ,but wanted to say hello to all.

Oh yes I do remember I wanted to say to Chelone how nice the lab looks. I remember your before pictures.

Thinking of all. Norma
    {{gwi:182109}}

PS. Deanne I love the Robin photo too. I need to show you the photos I framed and put in the laundry room. Eden made me think of it.

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Fall, Leaves, Fall & Fall, and Fall and Fall.
    Oh yes , seeing the title of this thread reminded me of the other thing that has been keeping me busy. LOL

• chelone
    17 years ago

The Sauciest of dogs always makes me smile. You have from the my first tentative posts on NE Gardening. I tried to e-mail you but I've likely been reduced to "spam"... if you tried to reply you probably were, too. :) I'm so glad to read your post. How's the broken wing thing, these days?

I'm not a barrell of laughs these days. Much on my mind, not much of it fun. I USED to be a fun person, where did she go? will she ever return? I know it will never be the same, but wow... I'd like to see a glimmer of my former self. Why do I feel so invisible now?

I want to caution you about permitting life to become too rote. Rote is great if you're a dog, but monotony is the surest way to erode spirit if you're a human. You have to trust me on this. Monotony takes the edge off a passion for life... and it does so insideously. You don't realize it's happening until one day, you have occasion to survey your existence from a more remote standpoint. It's a fearful vantage point.

Tell me more fun stuff. Show me more silly and beautiful photographs. One day, I promise, I'll return the favor.

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

SO very happy to have the Saucy Dog back too! Please keep it up.
    Also very happy to see Chelone contributing more steadily. You may need it, but we do too!

Hey guys! Almost all the bulbs are in! Just the Anemone blanda left to go tomorrow. They're soaking tonight.

Must go proofread an agenda for DH's next meeting.
    Hi lurkers!
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Mary ,that pumpkin is a riot ! Very appropriate for Monday.
    I'm thinking we may have seen the last of our warm weather here- although I classify "warm" as 70's in the daytime, and I'm sure some of you have a lower threshold! I think I might have to start thinking about moving some things , especially the brugs and the plumerias closer to the house.And the begonias have to come inside.

So , I'm thinking now of a book called "The Invisible Garden " by Dorothy Sucher. Under 250 pages and her garden is in Vermont. Has anyone read this ?
    Norma it was fun watching the Cards win the series- and that play Pujols made on his back !

Man, tommorow is Halloween and I forgot all about it when I bought groceries this weekend. I always buy stuff that I don't like-much less tempting that way ! Guess I'm going to have to go to the store at lunch time.
    Talk at y'all later

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Its pretty quiet here today. We are having high winds today and it is very cold. I hope we dont lose power. Yesterday was a super day, but of course obligations kept us from being outside. We did stop by the spot where Ricks dad was killed in a tractor accident 3 years ago yesterday. A tree was planted in his memory with a plaque. This was the first time we had been back since the night of the accident. A few tough moments.

Im tired, the time change surely screws me up. I get so depressed too that it gets dark so early. Since it was so cold and I have a ham bone, Im making split pea soup. I only boiled the water over twice. I also had a small fire in the oven too. A cook Im not. LOL

Norma, what a fun fall vignette.

Mary, your pumpkin was a good laugh especially on Monday.

A touch of fall from my place.
    {{gwi:182110}}

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Just read Idyll #230 (I think that's the number) from last October. How things change! Cynthia was there as was EP. Fun to look back.

• just_t
    17 years ago

Good morning. It is 3:13 and I've been awake for nearly an hour. I'm enjoying my first cup of coffee (almost ready for cup #2) and the dogs just don't understand why they are up and not eating breakfast. They keep coming to my chair and pawing my arm. The first bat at my arm I find endearing.....after that it is nagging and I'm not at all pleased. :o] I tried explaining middle aged sleeplessness, altered internal temperatures and such.....but all they want is their food dishes filled. I'm not feeding them until the appointed time.....5 a.m. and no matter how confused nor how much arm nudging/scratching they do......the dishes do not get magically filled before that time. Power.....yep, I've got the power. Poor critters.

I don't know the temp. outside but the deck has imprints of bare feet melted in the frost. Sure wish I had grabbed my slippers when I left the bedroom. Wow, I just checked the weather center and it is 26 degrees out there. No wonder the deck is hairy white and my feet were freezing. I don't have the de-icer in the stock tank, will have to hook that up today so the animals' water won't begin to freeze during these cold nights.

Boo stepped on one of the goats a couple of days ago. It was while I was shoveling mulch (Sunday) when I heard an awful cry. I thought it was Boo, but later, when one of the goats couldn't use a back leg, we figured out that Boo must have stepped on him. We're not sure where the leg is injured, he isn't using it to walk but will set it down onto the ground, no obvious swelling nor overly tender areas noticed. This goat doesn't much like his legs being handled, so it is difficult to know if you are touching a sore area or if he is reacting somewhat violently because you are touching his legs at all. This is the same goat who had a portion of his tail torn off a few months ago. I'm thinking that Boo was a part of that injury, too. Of course he isn't doing it out of any maliciousness---the goats just lay down near him and when Boo moves, he isn't necessarily tip toeing through goat's legs. I'm surprised one hasn't been injured more severely or that they haven't quit laying down near him. The little female goat use to walk under Boo's belly to get where she wanted to go instead of going around him. :o\ Guess either there is no fear....or no brains. lol

The dogs still believe that breakfast should be served....they don't realize they need to wait another 90 minutes. Poor guys. I gave them some cheerios (one of their favorite treats--they also love bits of bananas, apples and carrots) but the cheerios wasn't breakfast and they knew it. Now they are wrestling behind my chair.

Well, my coffee cup is empty......can't have that so I'll go make another cup and enjoy the quiet morning a bit more.

I checked amazon.com and the book Kathy mentioned in her latest post.....can't remember the name and too lazy to scroll up to look.......they have it used for 39 cents and on up.....if it is 'the' book and anyone wishes to buy themselves one at a very reduced price.

Hello to all........
    T.

• taryn
    17 years ago

Good spooky morning! Boys are all excited and ready to be transformed into zombies (Shane and Brennen) and the Grim Reaper (Devin) after school. I'm slowcooking a roast for an easy dinner, then we'll go into town to hook up with the next-door-neighbors' grandkids for trick or treating. 16 houses on this 2 mile road, not enough action for my greedy guys, lol!

T, 3:13 is horribly early to be up! I am sleeping much better since taking Relora. It is an anti-stress blend of two herbs, not a sleeping pill, but keeps me much calmer and also keeps the brain from going on and on and on. It's supposed to aid in stress-related eating too, though I haven't noticed the scale dropping. (Probably due to stress-related drinking, lol!) Still, I wouldn't be without it these days. Hope you get a nap in later.

Chelone, I feel for you! You are still there inside, you've just had to push yourself and your needs to the backburner while you've taken the huge responsibility of your Mum on your shoulders. When that pressure is relieved, either by your brother or more permanent accomodations for her, you'll start to live again. Keep posting, and keep your (hairy) chin up!

Hi Saucy! What did your Grandma mean by losing ALL your hair? I don't want to think on that too closely, lol!

Norma and Michelle, love the fall decorations! I just did a few squash and mini-pumpkins in my Radio Flyer wagon on the porch, nothing special. Out here in the boonies don't think we'll get too many admirers. Only bought 24 bags of chips, but don't expect them to go. Will leave an 'on your honour' basket on the porch while we're in town with the rugrats. I am proud of myself for skipping chocolate, as I hate chips! Don't need the temptation...

I'm having my family, sis and her BF, brother, SIL and the 3 girls, and my Mum for a visit and dinner here on Saturday. None of them have been here since we first moved and everything was everywhere. After that I think I'm going to get serious with Deanne about the diet and exercise, maybe do another cleanse. I'll have 6 weeks before Christmas if I start Monday. I have found my 'set point weight' I guess and not gaining, but am 35 pounds heavier than I'd like. Have just started using a pedometre, and though I'm averaging nearly 10,000 steps a day, I must have a small stride, as that is only 7 km, and I'm aiming for 10k a day.

Yesterday was gorgeous, sunny, 65F and I got 25 new tulip bulbs plus lots of alliums, and spring ephemerals like striped squill, grape muscari and snow drops that I brought from Cambridge in the ground. Was a thrill to see my little bulbs had made it through, when they just looked like pots of dirt (except for the grape hyacinths with their fall growth). Only lost about 24 plants, out of 250+, so that's pretty good considering they were dug up a year ago, wintered over outside in pots, then we moved in the heat of August. I used up the last two yards of garden mix and made two narrow beds along one side of the house which I'll plant in spring. Am going to plop the 24 'dead plants' in there for the winter, just in case some of them are playing possum.

Today is very warm again, but rainy. Going to check out the newest job postings, fire off my resume if any appeal, then take advantage of the warmth (and large covered garden shed) and finally unpack all my garden tools, pots, fertilizers, etc. Those are the last boxes to unpack, then I am truly done.

Hi to all I've missed, and have a great Halloween!

Taryn

• taryn
    17 years ago

Mary, forgot to tell you your pumpkin rocks! Devin declared it "WAY sick!" (that means he liked it, lol!)

Taryn

• taryn
    17 years ago

Michelle, I'm sorry I forgot to send you and Rick cyberhugs. Visiting the scene of such a terribly tragedy must have been a tough one...

Taryn

Okay, I'm really going to check the job postings now. Where is everyone today?

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

O my I almost died laughing from Marys pumpkin I sure hope its not contagious!!! What a hoot.

what lovely photos Ive missed Deanne, your pics are "mag" no matter what camera you use. Norma, I love that Halloween shot too. . . .

Great news too love those sweet peas in a pod, T and bug is going to be joining in the gma baby news shortly too how exciting. . . .

Michelle you make such lovely vignettes w/ your arrangements that should perk you up I was totally startled last nite to walk out of the office & find it totally dark (but it was almost 70 degrees weird, why couldnt I have had a 70 degree day last week to plant bulbs??????)

T- I am right there w/ you re the middle-aged sleeping problems if I get more than 3 hours sleep in one shot I consider it a good nite but Im impressed you can put too coherent thoughts together at the computer & compose at 3:00 a.m.!!!! OMy. . . . no way I just stumble & fumble and bumble around. . . .

Love the idea of a garden book club the essay types would be great reads.

Chelone I love your shades & the fabric you manage to keep yourself creatively occupied despite the routine you have had to establish in your life.

Its nice to see other "faces" Taryn, Saucy, Monique, Chelone others out of lurk mode.

Sending good Halloween thoughts to all no tricks from me. . . . The tricker-treaters are going to have marvey weather here for their festivities (why o why couldnt I have had 70 last week...? I guess I was destined to clean that house, uh?)

-Cindy

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

For Chelone - some Halloween humor, w/ nods to the cartoonist:

{{gwi:182111}}

{{gwi:182112}}

{{gwi:182113}}

{{gwi:182114}}

{{gwi:182115}}

{{gwi:182116}}

O to be so creative!!!

--Cindy

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

For all who posted with great advice and comfort on my last thread, please go back and read what I posted this morning.

And thanks for the appreciation of my pics.

• just_t
    17 years ago

A very scary tiger surrounded by not so scary pea pods. ;o)

{{gwi:182118}}

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

T, what a cute picture. Jameie is to cute to make a scary tiger. LOL
    The twin with his eyes open looks like he is smiling too.
    I hope the goats leg is just sore and not broken.

Cindy those cartoons are too funny.
    Too bad the weather is much nicer now that you are back to work.But doesn't it feel good to have a clean house and not feel guilty about it if you do get a chance to go outside? I finally got mine cleaned up , although there is still some things that need to be cleaned.

Michelle, are all the dried things in your lovely fall arrangement from the farm?
    I can imagine Ricks and your sadness at visiting the site of the accident. ((Hugs)).

Hi Taryn, I can't wait to see what all pops up in your new gardens next spring.
    Good luck with the job hunting.

Yes Kathy, that Pujols play was pretty cool.

Chelone, I still think you are a fun person. But I understand where you are coming from right now.

Saucy, do we get to see before and after shots of the house?

Mary, Your pumkin does look a little under the weather. How did Annie and Davids turn out?

I did some running today and picked up a few bulbs.
    Tomorrow I need to get downstairs and redo a bunch of the plants I have drug in, and get that area organized.

Better go check to see what I can throw on the table tonite.

I miss Sue. hint hint.

Hello, EVERYONE! norma

• chelone
    17 years ago

I can't remember the cartoon lady's name, Chloe, but we have a Christmas ornament of her with lights wrapped around her body. The first one is my favorite. "Bite me size", lol. And the two peas in their respective pods made me giggle again. I'll work on keeping my hairy chinny, chin, chin a little higher. It was a tough weekend and the week ahead will be long, full, and all I'm really looking forward to is bedtime on Friday night. How pathetic is that? (maybe my much needed haircut on Friday afternoon will prove a boost, too).

Michelle, your arrangement is just lovely. I have a particular fondness for cattails, and always want to pick them early on... but don't really know how to collect them to prevent the seasonal, fuzzy explosion... what's your secret?

The annual take-downs are arriving in the shop for cleaning and mending. I'm fine with the mending part of it, but I so loathe the cleaning. It's hard on my hands/wrists and it's so terribly boring. I have a solid month of it ahead of me, I reckon. More rote, and while it's not what I need on an emotional plane, it's does rather pay the bills handily! More sucking up is order, I fear. :/

The book sounds fine... assign it and I'll go for it. I'm thinking a diversion of any sort might just be a very good thing for me about now!

Now it's time for me to tend to the dishes in the kitchen. And clean up the broken wine stem that belonged to my grandmother. Now only two are left... out of 10. My irritation at "frat. house carelessness" will subside, but today I didn't need to see one more pretty, "fun" thing broken. Maybe I should simpy accept it and use DixieCups?

What is it Taryn says, "calm, blue ocean... "? I need more tassels, methinks.

;)

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

What an interesting ride home from work. About 9 miles from home I was at a 4 way stop when I saw a hiway patrol. I knew that I had a headlight out and dreaded getting stopped just because its time consuming and somewhat embarrassing. It was so funny, he just couldnt catch up with me. First a construction truck got between us and he couldnt get around him, and then I was able to pass a slow moving tractor and he couldnt. I felt like I was "outrunning" the police. Finally I was almost ready to turn on our gravel road and was wondering if he would follow me down it and I met another guy with a headlight out. I believe he went after him instead. Needless to say I stuck to the speed limit.

Chelone, I spritzed the cattails with hairspray and it seems to be working. By the way, I love tassels.

Norma, the cattails, celosia, sea lavender and sedum are from here. The orange berries are from Hobby Lobby ;o) The pumpkins are from the pumpkin patch.

Just where are Deanne and Sue? I hope that they arent without power.

T, I hope the poor goat is ok. Jamies costume is adorable too. Did you make it?

Taryn, I have a pedometer and have enjoyed seeing just how many miles I put on a day at a "desk job"

Cindy, thanks for the Halloween humor. Be careful, you just might get a house full of Idylls LOL

I could go for the book club. I love to read, but life sometimes gets in the way. These days I just dont get to it much.

Id love to see some of the little Idylls in costume.

Poor little Halloweeners, its pretty cold here tonight. My pea soup sounds pretty good.

Michelle

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Happy Halloween folks! The trick or treat crowd has been a little on the light side tonight but we just had a mad rush so maybe we'll be able to "off" a few more pieces of candy before it's all said and done. As expected, the dogs are having a total barkfest. Who needs costumes when you have attack schnauzers? Maybe next year I'll have T make me a Cruella DaVille costume. lol

Not much else going on around here. This time change is the pits-dark by 5 PM. Pooh! At least I don't mind coming home from work and jumping on the treadmill. Tomorrow I have a half hour consultation with a new primary care doctor. I've never been comfortable with the one I have and consequently haven't had a physical in over 10 years. This one is actually an osteopath, a young woman. We'll see how it goes. Have any of you tried to change doctors lately? Not many of them seem to be accepting new patients. It's almost alarming.

Marie, congrats on your graduation from turtle nana to human nana. What a great nana you'll be.

Anyhoo, dinner is ready and it's wine night.

Sue

Sponsored
Sport Court of Washington, DC
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Award-Winning Sport Court Specialist, Serving Virginia for 30+ Years