Marian_2
15 years ago

The 'pink' dogwood is beginning to color-up:

{{gwi:182206}}

The close-up is prettier:

{{gwi:182207}}

The Hazel-nuts are coloring, and have their new catkins:

{{gwi:182208}}

The Pyracantha is loaded with berries, the blasted deer pruned off the bottom of it!

{{gwi:182209}}

And the Tea Viburnum has some beautiful fruit, I have a fence around the lower part of it, but it has still been pruned. :-(

{{gwi:182210}}

I must enjoy them now, before the birds feast on them. The Cedar Waxwings will arrive in flocks before long, along with the Robins. It doesn't take them long to strip all the fruit that I have pictured.

Every day Nolon goes out and gathers up the fallen Chinese Chestnuts. We have 2 trees. They are seedlings, and the second one, that is now dropping it's nuts, has much larger ones than the first. I have one large margarine tub filled with the smaller ones, and the second tub is over 3/4ths full of a combinationof the two.

I hope I get around to roasting them this year! I let last year's go bad. :-(

Maybe our tomorrow's company and I can roast Chestnuts.:-)

I will post more pics as the colors advance. I hope you all enjoy them (including lurkers). :-)

Marian

Comments (41)

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

I guess we've been on this forum longer than I think Marian. Your trees seem to really have gained in size! I love the fruit and color they offer. I even like the cedar waxwings!

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

Gorgeous pictures, Marian! It is often hard to picture the lay of the land of the Idyll's spaces. Yours looks like it would be a wonderful place to do a walk-about and explore.
    Enjoy your company, and thanks for sharing your beauty :)
    Brenda

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Marian - some day I hope my dogwood gets to be as nice as yours! Mine hasn't even flowered the first time yet. The red berries on things are wonderful color! Think of the deer damage as free 'limbing up' pruning :-) I always enjoy your fall color pictures so will be looking for more as the season progresses.... (Your fall color is further advanced than ours.)

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Marie, yes, our trees and shrubs have really grown, and I keep pruning back and limbing up. ;-) All of this year's rain really made everything grow. I love the Cedar Waxwings, but hate to see all the beautiful fruit disappear so suddenly.

Brenda, you are right about the 'walk-about'. Our yard is about an acre, and then there is all our woods that surround it in all directions. There are deer and dog trails through the woods, that we can follow (as long as we duck under the limbs). :-) I would enjoy it so much more if it were not for the chiggers! They seem to be pretty much gone now....but a really warm day can bring them back out at this time of the year. We cannot go too far in the back woods before we come to the first of two bluffs...probably about 100 feet. We have a 'road' down onto the level below the first bluff. Nolon made it for hauling out firewood. We also had some logging done down there. I used to love going on down to the pour-off, but have become leary of doing so, for fear I will fall and damage myself, and I am depended on too much, to take that chance.

Woody, that is one of our prettiest dogwoods. I bought it. It was supposed to be pink flowering, but only turns a little pink as it ages. I am surprised that yours are so slow growing. Ours grow almost like weeds. LOL. And they reseed quite a bit. I leave all that are not in the way of my mowing.
    I am also surprised that your fall color is not as far along. We are one of the highest elevations around this state, so color up earlier than neighboring areas.

Marian

• chelone
    15 years ago

Lovely shrubs, Marian. I love pink Dogwoods, the woman across the street had a huge one in an alcove of her home, I think it succumbed to age, though.

Cedar Waxwings are one of the prettiest birds, I think. I love the subtle mix of buffs, beiges, and dark accents.

Interestingly, your foliage is about at the same level of change as our's.

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Marian, you have a lot of wonderful fall interest in your yard. The berries are so pretty.

Michelle

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

We have very little color around our neck of the woods, so it is really nice to see yours Marian! Gorgeous! What a pretty dogwood!

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Chelone, I was disappointed that my 'pink' dogwood was not really very pink. But it is a beautiful tree anyway. Dogwoods are not very long lived. Neither are Serviceberries ( Amelanchiers).

Michelle, it is only just beginning. I love berried shrubs.

Pm2, I would have thought there would be lots of color in your area. Are there wooded areas near you? I imagine people have lots of colorful trees and shrubs in their yards, don't they?

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Marian, everything is beautifully colored up! Your dogwood has a pretty shape to it!

I saw a foliage map the other day and was surprised at how sparse it seemed!

I need to copy all your shrubs and trees for spring and fall color, Marian!

Saucy

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Saucy, I don't know if you can tell but there is an oak tree back of the dogwood, and it looks like the top of the dogwood is still green.The green is the oak.
    I have done very little pruning on that dogwood.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Marian, Dogwoods are a bit risky here and often will burn up in the summer especially when young. A different matter in Oregon ! I hope you will continue to post some pics of the Dogwood as fall progresses. I always enjoy seeing the photos of your property...

Kathy in Napa

• Full_Bloom
    15 years ago

Marian...what a lovely place to call home! You have your own little private arboretum there. I've always lusted after a pyrancantha, but they suffer serious disease problems here. That Tea Vibrunum fruit *is* gorgeous! I can tell you put a lot of thought in to choosing your plantings...so many unique and wonderful things that I rarely see in landscapes here...you've done a wonderful job!

Thanks for sharing this, I really needed the lift tonight!

Ei

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Lovely fall color Marian! I just love the fall berries!
    Deanne

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

I like the red berries too Marian. Our dogwoods are loaded right now. I planted a viburumn two years ago, but with the drought then I lost it. I have flower buds on my pink dogwood for next year, the first since I planted it three years ago. I will be looking forward to seeing it bloom in the spring. Enjoy your company. Norma

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Would I love a fall walkabout on your land, Marian, and the pour-off is a must-see. Such splendor. I wonder which oak it is behind the dogwood. I don't see many kinds local other than the Coast Live Oak, Q. agrifolia. (And doesn't tucking long pants into socks keep chiggers at bay or does that only work with ticks?)

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kathy, our Dogwoods are Cornus florida. The ones in Oregon are probably C.nutalli, the Pacific Dogwood? I don't know if they, or C. controversa, Giant Dogwood, would do well here. I think C. kousa, Chinese Dogwood, does okay here. I'd love to try them all, including C. alternifolia, Pagoda Dogwood. I do have C. mas, Cornelian Cherry.

LOL, Ei, I would love to have an arboretum. So far the only thing the Pyracantha is suffering from, is the deer. I love Viburnums, and have several differant species, and varieties, most have red berries, but some have orange, and some have blue or black. I think there may be a few with yellow berries.
    I 'do' love unique species! :-)

Thanks, Deanne. Hopefully it will get lots prettier.

Norma, I think I have lost only one species of Viburnum. It was a maple-leafed one.The Black Haw out front died, but there are several seedlings that I can transplant to a better location. I thought I had lost the Arrowwood out front, but have ended up with two of them in the 'island' shrub row, and another one in the back yard row. Sorry that you lost yours.
    The Black Haw has edible blue fruits. They are mostly seed, but rather tasty to me.

Denise, I would love for you to do a walk-about here. :-)
    The oak behind the Dogwood in the pic is a Red Oak. It is actually about 40 feet from that dogwood. We have several species of oak. One of my favorite,(in the edge of our back yard), is a 3-trunked Shumard Oak. The other oaks surround the perimeter of our yard and all through the woods. They are White Oaks, Black Oaks,Blackjack Oaks, and Red oaks. I would like to have a Willow Oak.
    There are many other species of hardwoods, espacially Hickories, Elms, Maples, Ash, and Basswood, of the larger trees, and lots of smaller species.
    In my yard are species that are not native to our acreage, or even to Arkansas, or to the U.S. I have introduced a bunch....a few were brought in by birds, and in leaves from town...a lot of them I sent for.

Marian

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Marian, your autumn color is just beautiful. I enjoy hearing about the collection of interesting trees and shrubs you've planted over the years. I don't know a great deal about trees, maybe a bit more about shrubs, but I learn alot reading what you post about yours.

Eden

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Eden. I have mentioned my 'exotic' trees every now and then. Some of the main ones are the Gingko, the Dawn Redwood, and the Maackii. Others are native of Arkansas, but not in this area, or not on our land. The Lirodendron, Tuliptree, is one, as is the Bald Cypress, the Birches, the Fringe tree, the Redbuds, the Catalpas, the Sweet Gum, the Pecan, and the Honey Locust.

Others that are not native, but not actually 'exotic; are the Chinese Chestnuts, The English Walnut,

In my list of our wood's trees, I left out the Tupelo, Black Gum. There are lots of them in our woods. They are rather a weed tree here. But they 'do' have beautiful fall coloring.:-)

I am a 'tree-lover, but not a 'tree-hugger' LOL .

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

The Ozarks are becoming more beautiful in my mind with each pic, Marian. Thanks for taking us along! Nut trees are so special....

Martie

• jak1
    15 years ago

What an interesting post this is! Your trees and shrubs are just delightful, Marian, and all of this on one acre? You must work very hard to have so many and such great variety!

I have only two little (for now) trees on my suburban lot: A dark red maple and an umbrella ginko. The maple was a tiny thing planted in the concrete-like earth in the middle of the back yard, exactly where we didn't want a tree. We managed to yank it out and we replanted it on the front lawn where it is thriving. We also have our Ginko there, it is more of an ornamental tree, being a graft.

But we are so lucky as behind us is the original old farm property. There are many very large maples, elms and oaks there, and a smaller black walnut. The owners have planted a Catalpa this year, and it's blooms are lovely. There are many very old lilcs there too, some as high as twenty feet, a real rare sight up here.

We also live about a block from a large protected wetland, and as a result we have lots of birds. And deer too.

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Martie, I will try to get out and take a bunch of the fall color away from our own place again, like I did last year. It still is not anywhere near it's peak. I don't think we have had cold enough nights yet.

Julie, we have 20 acres, and one of the central acres is what I have made into our yard. I have worked on it for 24 years. I have lost a lot of the more exotic trees and shrubs that I planted.
    I have had very poor experiences with lilacs here. I am going to try again. Others not far from us have very vigorous lilacs.

I planted two catalpas along our driveway a few years ago. The neighbor above us managed to burn them off twice. He is no longer here, so maybe the new growth will survive, but I have a small one in a pot that I will set out in a less vulnerable area.
    ;-)
    I have a bunch of trees and shrubs in pots awaiting going into the ground. That is why I need Martie's 'crew' to come help me.(g)
    Your location sounds lovely. You need to post pics of the old farm property, and the wet land. I love pics like that.

I have several other introduced trees and shrubs that I didn't mention. Some are native, but not found growing on our acreage. When we used to go wild herb digging on friend's land. I would bring home starts of trees and shrubs...either seeds, or seedlings. Most of those have lived and multiplied. Some of my yard plants I found out in our woods, and introduced into my yard plantings.

I wish I were not fizzling out physically...there is so much more I would like to do. :-(

• just_t
    15 years ago

How pretty!! I did laugh out loud when I read your comment about the blasted deer pruning the bottom of your tree......yep, familiar with the feeling. Thanks for sharing your fall colors.

T.

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

(g)..T, I have accepted the hooved rodents, and their taste for my plantings.....accepted, but I am still not fond of it. :-(
    At least I do not have the elk....(yet).

BTW, how are your plantings doing? Did you ever get your curved beds conpleted?

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am beginning to wonder if we are going to have much good fall colors....but (if I remember right) I thought the same thing last fall.
    After seeing Deanne's beautiful New Hampshire pics, I am almost ashamed to post mine. :-(

Nevertheless...here is one I took this evening, that combines what is still on the deck with the background trees and shrubs.

{{gwi:182212}}

The sky turned out very pale..I don't know why....It was just before getting too dark to take a good pic. I was hunkered down in order to get the deck plants better...

15 years ago

looks pretty colorful to me...:-)

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am beginning to think this will be the drabbest fall I have ever seen here. Our county's color tour is to be this friday 24th, but there is very little of beauty to see, at least in our area. Our large Sugar Maple in the driveway is getting more color each day...so may end up quite pretty.

Here is a surprise from indoors:

{{gwi:182213}}

{{gwi:182214}}

I took these today. They are apparently rather confused "Thanksgiving" cactus!!!LOL
    Two differants pots full, and there are 4 or 5 more in the utility room starting to bloom!

15 years ago

Marian - can you do me a favor please? I gather dogwoods set their flowerbuds for next spring now. Yesterday I was looking at the C. florida dogwoods I planted this spring. They have small round balls at the ends of the branches - are they next springs flowers? I don't see anything similar on the C. kousa. If your dogwoods have set their buds, can you please take a picture of the buds so I can see what they look like? If what I'm seeing on the C.florida is flowerbuds, I'm surprised that they have them but the kousa still doesn't - since I planted the C. florida this spring and the C. kousa has been in the ground 3 or 4 years and still hasn't flowered for the first time!

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Woody, I'm told that C.Florida is at its northern limit or even beyond at the RBG.
    I have trouble with C. Kousa even where I am located. Grrr.

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yey! Woody...you do have flowerbuds on your C.florida!
    Here is the pic I just took for you:

{{gwi:182215}}

15 years ago

Thanks Marian! That's indeed what the C.florida ones look like (but smaller buds...) I've checked the C. kousa closely and there's nothing there. I wonder if it's ever going to bloom?! It actually gets more sun than the C. floridas I planted this spring. It's an otherwise healthy, happy-looking tree - just not a single flower yet! My neighbour's kousa about 20 feet further north blooms beautifully and it was planted the year after mine. AARRGH!!

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

After I posted my first post of today, I went out and wandered around the Poor Farm, ( LOL ...Chelone, I have names for our place,too),with my camera. The overall pic is not that great, but there are spots of beauty...

Here is the 'Pink'Dogwood as of today:

{{gwi:182216}}

The Ginkgo;

{{gwi:182217}}

Clethra has nice purple leaves:

{{gwi:182218}}

Hamamelis vernalis, Ozark Witch Hazel has a nice yellow:

{{gwi:182219}}

Spirea prunifolia as seen through a dogwood, and the Tea Viburnum(on the right):

{{gwi:182221}}

the Hazelnuts leaves are falling fast, but the catkins are interesting:

{{gwi:182222}}

Someone needs to help me with this one...I cannot remember it's name. It is supposed to turn bright red in the fall, and you can see it's little red fruits. The leaf stems and branches have 'wings' on them.

{{gwi:182224}}

That will be enough on this post...more following:

Marian

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, the last pics for today ( I think) is mostly around the pond area.
    First is the hickories back of the shop building:

{{gwi:182226}}

A rather spindly red maple off the pond bank:

{{gwi:182228}}

A row of Sumac below the pond, on the garden side:

{{gwi:182231}}

And last...the view through the pine tree in our front yard, by the wood fence...LOL:

{{gwi:182233}}

For those who may have a problem getting the entire pic to come on, there were 2 tricks that may work. One: wait until all comes on that will, then hit refresh.
    Two: turn off the pics after the text is loaded and then click on the red x's. (I can't remember if the second works or not...)

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I missed the pic of the Japanese Viburnum that I meant to post:

{{gwi:182235}}

Maybe I got in too big of a hurry to take a pic of it. Hopefully it will all turn.....

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

I think things are looking pretty colorful there. You have a wonderful collection of trees and shrubs. I don't believe I recall seeing your pond before.

Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Marian, my 'Thanksgiving' cactus is blooming too !I love seeing all the interesting trees and shrubs you have- I have no space for these sorts of things. Like Michelle, I don't recall your pond either ..does it freeze in winter? (maybe this is a dumb question from a Zone 9 wimp, lol)

Thanks for the update.. I especially enjoyed the view of the spirea..

Kathy in Napa

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Michelle, I think I have at least one pic of the pond in one of my PT albums. It isn't a pretty farm pond. It never did clear up, so is always muddy looking. I bought some catfish and hybrid bluegill for it several years ago. The catfish are pretty big now. We never fish for either the catfish of the bluegill.

Kathy, I do not remember my Thanksgiving cactus ever blooming this early. I am thinking it is due to so much dark rainy weather this year.
    The pond will freeze in a really cold winter. Usually it is just a thin layer of ice that doesn't last long.

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Marian, are you going to post a picture of the naked gingko like you did last fall? I think it's so funny that it loses it's leaves all in one great shedding! It would make fall clean up a lot easier if all trees did that!

I think your unidentified shrub is a burning bush, some sort of euonymus.

I enjoyed your Fall color. I really need to add more around this place!

Saucy

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ta da! You win the prize, Saucy! Euonymous alata, Burning bush it is! I was thinking it had either 'fire' or 'burning' in it's common name.
    So many of my trees and shrubs were chosen for either their fall color or for showy fruits, as well as their blooms.
    LOL, the 'naked' Ginkgo....yes I will watch for the drop. I hope the weather cooperates. :-)
    I really like that tree.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Great photos, Marian! You have such a colorful woodland setting there. On the way home from a doctor's appointment not too long ago, we went down a city street where they had evidently replaced older maples with Ginkos. They were already showing their fall yellow color and they were SO pretty! A really beautiful yellow. Looking a lot different now then when they mature I am sure.

:-)

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I worked on raking up more of the Honey Locust's pods today. My reflux is hurting...so I will haul them off later..
    Here are part of them"

{{gwi:182236}}

{{gwi:182237}}

• jak1
    15 years ago

Beautiful fall photos, everybody! I missed my chance here - to busy with Thanksgiving, DD's birthday, Adrian;s birthday and the party scene! Ooooh, I don;t envy you the Honey Locist clean up Marian. But is the tree gorgeous in the summer?

I have a weeping Gingko, that is a Gingko grafted onto something else so it grows in an umbrella type shape - but in the grafting process somehow the yellow fall colour is lost! The fan-shaped leaves just turn brown around the very edges and then the leaves fall, still basically green, and all at once. One day the leaves are on the tree, the nex they are on the ground. Wierd. It is not nice to try to fool Mother Nature!

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH