Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saucydog_gw

Road Trip!!! and you're invited!

saucydog
15 years ago

Grab your jacket, it's a crisp day in New England!

We're heading out to Sherburne Falls to see the Bridge of Flowers:

{{gwi:182385}}

The Bridge of Flowers began in 1929 - a year after the trolley bridge was abandoned, the local garden group got a "great idea" :)

{{gwi:182387}}

It was a walkable town with lots of places to window shop, and eclectic restaurants:

{{gwi:182388}}

{{gwi:182389}}

Time to head down to Stockbridge to see Berkshire Botanical Garden

{{gwi:182390}}

We arrived to find that what was described as a Harvest Fair on the website, was actually the biggest event of the year for this part of the state....ACK! People looked at us funny as we ducked behind trade tents to observe the perennial borders....

{{gwi:182391}}

If you've got a minute, enjoy a slide show!

{{gwi:182393}}October42008

Thanks for coming along,

Saucy

Comments (18)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

I enjoyed that! I can't help but wonder about practical things re the Bridge of Flowers - e.g. how deep is the soil?; how is drainage managed?...

• Full_Bloom
    15 years ago

Hey Saucy! Thanks for sharing your trip (like a mini-vacation for me) which is good, cause I'm still not back in the "real life" mode yet! :-)

That bridge of flowers is so cool and reminds me the first time I went to California. I was amazed to see so much lushness along the highways, plants growing over bridges, etc....I couldn't believe it, such a stark contrast to the city of Chicago...that is until Mayor Daley started encouraging all the planting here.

I love the dahlia/ageratum color combo too. Periwinkle! I just love that color of ageratum and never could think how I would describe the color.

Thanks for sharing all the beauty...

Ei

• saucydog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmm, Woody, I'm not sure about drainage! The "beds" were 4ft in width and there was an irrigation hose running along the fenced sides with a spigot ever so often (making me think that it was watered by helpers wielding hoses). The "beds" were mulched with composted bark mulch.

Glad you enjoyed the little getaway, Brenda. I think I remember periwinkle being my mother's favorite crayola color :)

Saucy

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Road trips are so much fun. This was just beautiful, thanks for taking us along.

Jerri

• deanneart
    15 years ago

What fun Saucy! What a neat place. I'd never heard of the bridge before you mentioned it. Great road trip, thanks for taking us along.
    Deanne

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

I'd never heard of the bridge either. It's so pretty! Looks like you had a great day. Thanks for sharing it with us too! I enjoyed tagging along.

Eden

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

I thought I already commented Saucy, but my brain must be mush. I love the bridge, the bee, the maple leaves...all of it. Thanks for the outing. I needed the break!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Saucy....just checked out your slideshow. You had a beautiful day for the trip. So, I take it there was a no longer used railroad bridge that the community turned into a garden? Were the stores on the main street of Shelbourn Falls? Your camera is taking wonderful photos, which camera did you get again? LOVED the bee close up...you could just about count the hairs...[g]

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Saucy, That is a lovely trip. Almost as nice as going myself. How great that it was such beautiful weather. All the pics are pretty, but the Bridge is extra nice.
    The roadside color and the hills look very much like it does here when the colors are on. They haven't got that far yet this fall.

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

What a grand trip, Saucy! Thanks for taking us along. I, too, can't hear "Berkshires" without thinking of James Taylor. The colors and textures in your pictures are fabulous, and that bee shot is by far the best I've seen. It looks so fuzzy and cute!
    The dahlia pictures are tempting me. I'm so terrible about getting them dug for storage in the fall. Lol, can't imagine why--what else could there possibly be to do on a farm in the fall??
    Thanks for taking us along, it looks like you're having a wonderful time playing with that camera!
    Brenda

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Very cool, Saucy! Thanks for taking us along - I wonder if we could get "fly on wall" credits in your gardening class, LOL?

Cindy

• chelone
    15 years ago

That was great! I loved the Berkshire Botanical Gardens. We visited them when we went to Tanglewood in... what year was that?

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

What a lovely trip. The bridge is a very cool idea. The rose garden we went to in Duluth last year is on top of the interstate.

I love the clarity of your closeups.

Thanks for the cardoon. I'll have to post a picture of the one I have in the potager. It has become monstrous.

Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Saucy , your are doing so well with FNC (that would be Fancy New Camera) and I loved the visit to the bridge et. al.I think my fave were the bee shot and the tree-awning combo..good eye !

Kathy in Napa

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

My kind of Road Trip Saucy. It was just what I would like to be doing now. You should have bought the plaque and incorporated it on a gate or tufa piece. Your pictures are so sharp and colorful. Thanks., Norma

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Saucy -- So glad you got to see this. When I did most of my work in Massachusetts this was a frequent "getaway from the job" spot to stop. Never got close enough at this time of year to see what the put in, so Thank You for the closeups and taking us along!!

Martie

• jak1
    15 years ago

What a lovely day! I felt like I was really along with you - thanks for the invite!

• just_t
    15 years ago

Thank you for sharing another beautiful fall tour!

T.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz