Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_zone4

Come take a stroll in my country garden Part 2

michelle_zone4
16 years ago

This is the view my neighbors get as they drive by. You can see the butterfly garden on the right and the potager is next to the potting shed. Notice the trim I added to the shed window.

{{gwi:182404}}

This is just north of the previous picture. This is the wildflowers that we planted this spring. This was just a ditch that was too steep to mow before.

{{gwi:182405}}

The Welcome Garden is along the road as well on the south side of the driveway. You can see the bean head in the background. The combine has 2 heads. One for harvesting beans and one for corn. There is a trailer that it sits on so you can pull it down the road. Beyond are corn fields.

{{gwi:182406}}

Near the shed I'm loving the purple allysum.

{{gwi:182408}}

Several containers that have fallish colors

{{gwi:182409}}

Several nice blues in the garden, tradescantia 'Sweet Kate' and gentian scabra.

{{gwi:182410}}

{{gwi:182411}}

One of 2 surviving fuchsias

{{gwi:182413}}

The raised bed still has a few things in bloom

{{gwi:182414}}

I hope you enjoyed the tour.

Michelle

Comments (13)

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Sure did! I'm enjoying the purple tones too. I'm even thinking of painting the front door plum.

That gentian was Monique's idea a few years ago, wasn't it? I love them.

• just_t
    16 years ago

Absolutely love all the photos shared on both threads. Thank you for sharing your gardens & land with us. The welcome garden rock....it looks to be a huge boulder and so neat looking. I know you've shared photos of it before, but I guess I did not realize how huge it must be.

I love seeing the gardens, the farm buildings and also loved seeing Kenzie on 'her bench'.

T.

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Your gentiana scabra made it! Mine's struggling along and looks like I'll have a few blooms soon. I know I've said it before but your garden tours are way better than any spread I've seen in Country Living mag.

Eden

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful !! Is the green in the first and 3rd pics mowed lawn ? It looks quite extensive.
    Thank you for sharing your home grounds. I enjoyed the tour too. :-)

• denisez10
    16 years ago

simply wonderful, with deep rich colors still. And the bench matching the shutters...ooh la lah!

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    16 years ago

Wow! Things look fabulous there. I really like the engraved rock in the Welcome Garden. ThereÂs a couple of people in the neighbourhood here that have something similar (but on a smaller, suburban scale :-) I would like to do something like that but IÂd like it to be on the lawn in front of the main bed. That would make mowing difficult though so we probably wonÂt do it. IÂll just have to admire the effect in other peopleÂs gardensÂ.

I see you have a brick edging too. It looks a lot neater than mine! A question for you  does your brick edge have a barrier between the bricks and the grass? I have used a metal edge and IÂm worried that, in a few places, I didnÂt leave it high enough above the grass roots to prevent them from crossing it. Have you had problems with grass crossing over  or under  the bricks?

Henryi is the clematis I planted under the wisteria in the summer, hoping to train it into the wisteria to extend the bloom season. So far, the two Henryis are doing well. IÂm happy to hear that it does a late bloom. That would be a nice timing to add interest to the wisteria if it all succeeds. Anything else I should know about Henryi?

Your potting shed is definitely by far the nicest garden shed IÂve ever seen!

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit :o)

'bug, funny you should mention a plum door. Seriously I was just thinking today about repainting the door and plum came to mind. Right now its burgandy but because it faces south it tends to fade and need repainting every few years.

Marian, those are mowed areas along with on both sides of the long row of blue spruces and a few other areas. It takes me 2 hours on a rider with a 52" deck.

Woody, I don't have a barrier between the bricks and grass. I really don't have a problem with grass, in fact that's why I continue to put it around the beds is it works pretty well keeping the grass out and makes a neat edge. Henryi was new to me last year.

The reason there's a bed around the rock is because DH dug it out of the field and deposited it there and I got sick of mowing around it.

Thanks again for the kind comments.

Michelle

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Can post now that I've caught my breath ;-) Just beautiful and vast and obviously lovingly cared for. That's the gardens.

Miss Kenzie is a real little girl! I like her hair -- it seems to suit her and the smile says it all.

I'm thinking that yours is the perfect garden to show that sometimes, hardwoods don't matter.

More, please!!

Martie

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Michelle, everything is so lovely and beautifully designed. I have to agree with Woody that your potting shed is the nicest garden shed I've ever seen. I just love it and its so fun that we've seen the conversion. Your containers are beautiful and so lush.

I've got to take a pic of the container I did with the Euphorbia cotinifolia because the arrangement is so similar to what you did with yours. You'll laugh. We see many design things the same way.

Well I've loved every bit of your tour from the intimate garden shots to the vistas of your rolling farmland. Thanks for sharing.

Deanne

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Michelle, just wondering what the strong-colored pink rose is. The pink, silvers and purple with some burgundy from the urns is lovely there tying into the shed trim. (At least I think that's what you're referring to as the "garden shed" -- gosh, you could run a bed and breakfast out of the "shed"!)

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Michelle, I had a dandy stroll through the garden, while sipping a glass of Pinot Grigio.I'm embarassed to say that I thought your 'shed' was your house, lol ! I see now that in the distance shot it is a much smaller building that I thought...however what a dandy feature to have in your garden ! I love that urn in pic three-

Kathy in Napa

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

Beautiful Michelle! Attention to detail just jumps out of every shot. I love looking at pictures of your gardens surrounded by country views and open space.

Sue

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Denise, the rose is 'Morden Centennial' It blooms spring thru fall with a few short breaks.

Deanne, I'd love to see your container.

As you can tell I love my garden shed and feel very fortunate to have such a great storage space so near to the garden. Its about 15 x 30'. For those who weren't around to see the transformation I've linked a post I did back then.

Thanks again for visiting.
    Michelle

Here is a link that might be useful: The Potting Shed