Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

Quilt Event- part2

gardenbug
15 years ago

The women have very mixed backgrounds. Some are from England, others are Indian or part Indian, one was born in Korea and had lived in many countries before becoming involved with quilting in the 1950s. Another woman embroiderer was 77 years old and a strong minded business woman!

I met the artist who stitched this amazing quilt. The blue pieces are inserted into the orange by cutting through the orange part and stitching around the edges. Not easy as the pieces are very narrow!

{{gwi:182418}}

But look closer at the background! The quilting is all done by hand! Can you see the lion?

{{gwi:182420}}

Here again is the entire piece. Can you find the heron, a meerkat, a gorilla, an alligator and more?

{{gwi:182422}}

I chatted with this lovely lady for a few minutes and we discussed intensity of colours, her work and her children. It took her 6 months to make this work! I think that is speedy!!

And here is one of my favorites. Fortunately for me it was already sold...($800) The necklaces of the women featured are beaded jewelry from the market.

{{gwi:182424}}

And this piece by the same artist:

{{gwi:182426}}

And more...

{{gwi:182428}}

Calabash pots depicted here:

{{gwi:182430}}

This braided tassel edging is frequently used:

{{gwi:182432}}

{{gwi:182433}}

There is piece work for some designs, hand painting for others.

{{gwi:182434}}

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?