Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

Quilt Event- part 5 and Last!

gardenbug
15 years ago

{{gwi:182470}}

{{gwi:182471}}

This Babobab tree is decorated for Christmas. Those are porcupine quills in the vertical container next to the tree's trunk:

{{gwi:182472}}

This is a quilt about modern fashions:

{{gwi:182473}}

The next three pieces are from a group which quilts scenes from every day life. The group began under the guidance of a European organization similar to the Peace Corps.

{{gwi:182474}}

{{gwi:182475}}

{{gwi:182477}}

A tall building:

{{gwi:182478}}

A quilt incorporating footprints:

{{gwi:182479}}

Some of the bead work detail:

{{gwi:182481}}

Items were sold for causes as well: testing for AIDs in children, installing toilets in orphanages, etc...

It was a great experience for me, I hope you enjoyed it.

Comments (15)

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

I have enjoyed all of them! Thank you!
    I wish I could have seen them in person. Such a great experience.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Very definitely enjoyed it - Randy too! He's sending the links to your pictures along to a lady he used to work with who is a very artistic quilter....

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Thank you for posting these! One of my first memories as a child was going to a quilting party with my Grandma. It was such an important event in my grandmothers day. I could feel that even as a very young child and it's one of my fondest memories. I have the quilt that the group was making. I will try and get a photo this weekend.

Jerri

• denisez10
    15 years ago

These are unbelievably stunning. I especially liked the first three threads, and the last three quilts of the fourth thread. I love the baobob tree, but strangely the quilts with people appeal to me less. I had no idea such subtle beauty could be accomplished with quilting. I'm assuming these aren't all done by hand but by machine as well?

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'd say about 75% are hand quilted. Some work is done by machine though.

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

These are amazing! I'm not a stitcher, but my mom has done lots of quilting. So I know how much work it is. I'll have to show these to her, I know she would enjoy them.

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Wow, these are really wonderful. I especially love the blue and orange zebra quilt with the fabulous hand stitching in the background.
    Deanne

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

These are truly wonderful. I wish I had seen them in person, but your tour was the next best thing. Thanks for taking the time to do this!

V.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Beautiful 'bug, what treasures these are ! I so enjoyed looking at them ...thanks for posting them !

Kathy in Napa

• saucydog
    15 years ago

What a fun field trip without ever leaving my chair! I love the vibrant colors and found more than one that I would have liked to buy!

Thanks for sharing these, GB!

Saucy

• chelone
    15 years ago

The desire of mankind to express himself creatively never ceases to amaze me. (It gives me hope too!). I can't think of nicer way to pass an afternoon than wandering around a place filled with such beauty. Unless it's the opportunity to speak with the artists!

My favorites are:
    1.) I like the abstract nature of it. The patterns remind me of stylized women. Heads, necklaces, and caftans. The sense of movement is great.
    3.) The Baobab. There is a discussion of the Baobab's roots being the size of its canopy in "The Little Prince". The colors are terrific and I like the quills.

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

What wonderful works of art! I could spend hours looking at the detail. Quilts are such treasures, it's an art I hope to learn one of these days.
    Thanks for sharing them with us!
    Brenda

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Gardenbug,

Those are wonderful works of art and the colours, techniques, and materials are just stunning.

Before MSI, I remember my father, a doctor, receiving quilts as payment for medicines and services. This was in southwestern Nova Scotia. In one case, my mother bought the materials for a lady to make 4 quilts. Her husband had passed away of cancer, and the lady felt that the four quilts were owed. She had no other means of payment.

Fifty years later, one of these quilts was featured at an exhibit in the community after I lent it to them. I have been keeping it to give to my daughter one day. The lady who made it recognized it immediately and asked to meet me. She thanked me for keeping the quilt in such good order.

I thanked her for creating it. It is simple in materials but the stitching is full of boats and fish and stars, etc. Some of the quilts you have posted reminded me of this. :O)

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Interesting how music, math, gardening and stitchery can almost be universal languages, bringing warm connecting thoughts to people far and wide. Glad you felt the bond Tiffy.

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Marie, such works of art! I so wish I could share these with my mom. She would just love them! We used to go to quilt shows too. My favorite was in an old country church with quilts draped over the pews and spread all over the sanctuary. It was just beautiful with the light streaming in through the stained glass windows. There's just something about quilts that's so comforting too. I treasure all of the ones that my mom made. Thanks for sharing these with us. I really enjoyed looking at them all.

Eden