Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chelone_gw

232, let's hear from YOU

chelone
18 years ago

Could it be that my cameo appearance will lead off yet another Idyll?

Comments (102)

• gardenbug
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

No trick or treaters out here in the boonies this year. Lots of work on the mandatory retirement issue, 2 gravel pit meetings this week, lots more painting in the basement. Plan B starting on Mom's estate business, MIL has pneumonia and kidney infection. Hospice soon very likely, then a trip to Oklahoma for a Thanksgiving party, no matter what. I really don't want to go, especially with all the pets etc, but there are certain things a person has to do...
    Compost was delivered today and is covered with 2 tarps so it stays somewhat dry. It was sifted and steaming slightly. :-)

Annie has the MOST beautiful cape, AJ looks like he'll be a serious sultry teenager before you know it, and they ALL look like Halloween is the greatest holiday to celebrate. I always thought so! But you know, I think I'll never eat raspberry gumdrops again....
    'bugdrop

• just_t
    18 years ago

{{gwi:182525}}

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Morning all,

Well All the trick-or-treaters looked great!

T that is the cutest costume. Is he 'Tigger' or just a tiger? Bummer that your DH had to go back to work last night.

Babs, love the boys' costumes. And the face paint for Yoda is perfect. What a lot of work.~~ So I forgot to ask, is the family pic from your 'walk' done with a tripod? Very well done however it was accomplished.

Mary, Annie's cape is absolutely gorgeous. What is that fabric? And Iris, the little dinosaur is too cute. Did you make the vampire costume as well? You are just too clever! I was just scrolling up again and caught the expression on Ivan the shark's face. Too darned cute.~~ I kept forgetting to tell you how much I enjoyed your flower arrangement. What are those dahlias with the strong pink and white contrast? They are gorgeous! and of course the callicarpa berries in the arrangement are to die for. I MUST get myself on of those shrubs for next season. How big do they get BTW?

So I've decided to take the day off from the gym and take advantage of this warm sunny day that is coming up and really seems like a gift. It is supposed to be 70 today!I'm going to try to get all the containers broken down today, get the coleus, iresine, strobilanthes, albutilon, fuchsia etc. etc. cuttings potted up and all the tubers dug and ready to go into winter storage. I'll be tired by the end of this day! LOL

Have a good one everyone,
    Deanne

PS My sympathies to all the moms and teachers who have to deal with all the younglings with sugar 'highs' this morning! LOL

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the wonderful pics of kids and costumes. What a creative bunch!! I think I'm glad I didn't have a DD -- much more complicated costuming!!

We had a good number of T or Ters, most of whom we know, so we did it up big and scared the patoot out of them. The candy was in a bottomless bowl on a crab table covered with cloth. Rich (DH) was under the table and as the kids reached in, he reached up!! Of course, kids screamed and candy flew all over the place. At that point DS (home from college for the occasion) turned off all lights and overhead flew a ghost he rigged up on a pulley.

Needless to say, we had more fun than our visitors.

Everyone we knew got chocolate ghost cookies. Those we didn't know got back up candy.

Had a wonderful day outside yesterday. Pulled out all remaining annuals and planted 120 Wood Hyacinth bulbs. Pulled up another inch of mulch around the roses and shrub nursery plants. Dug holes for more hosta movement. DS will actually move the plants this weekend.

GB: Your family is in my thoughts .....

Have a great day, everyone!!

Martie, enjoying the sun and prospect of a 75degF day.

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

(yaaawwwwwnnnnn!) Dog issues in the middle of the night. Suffice it to say that I will be sure to pick up the water bowl before bedtime and to walk Mystic one last time, even if DH says "I just walked him..."

Wow! What an incredible bunch of adorable trick or treaters! Except, of course, for Taryn's boys who are incredibly creepy and would not want to be called adorable! Bella is a beauty, Devin, Shane and Brennan are WAY too good at those frightening expressions, AJ and Ryan are just a riot, Annie's cape is amazing, Iris is just too precious, David and Ryan look like they're having the time of their life, and now I'm in trouble because I can't remember the name of T's sweet tiger. What a great bunch of kids, moms and grandmas.

I took a slight detour last night and drove through our town square to take a peek at all the kids trick-or-treating at the businesses on the Square. It's an organized event with entertainment and lots of friendly police and firefighters directing traffic and passing out their own candy. Did I ever tell you we have a great town?

Then last night on the news we watched a feature about a local haunted house. I put the link below. What we really enjoyed about this story is that this is the house my MIL was born in! So if you think YOU have MIL problems, remember that mine was born in a haunted house! ;)

But the real excitement last night was that we got a letter in the mail. A real, handwritten, personal letter, from Germany, no less! One of our former au pairs is going to be in Chicago next week and wants to come visit. We were all very excited to hear from her as she was a wonderful girl and it will be so much fun to see her again.

Martie, it sounds like you had a lot of fun last night. Cynthia, what a wonderful idea that was in your neighborhood. I also hope that idea spreads. We of course had not one visitor at our house way out in the country at the end of a long drive.

Okay, I'm waking upo now so I should work. Later!

V.

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Almost forgot -- Sun Soaked Brain Syndrome today:

Babs -- your fall walk pictures are outstanding! And, I *truly* appreciate a small boy standing still for makeup. Good for you -- good for him!

Mary: I shudder at the thought of making that cape. It's a keeper! Love the shark and vampire and, of course, there's always a special place in my heart for dinosaurs.

Taryn: LOL at the look of your little guy in the middle. Is he into the whole thing, or what!! :-)

Eden: Bella is just too adorable for words.

T: The cutest Tiger ever. Scoring points is never a bad thing ...

Deanne: You could give me every instruction in the world and nothing I paint would ever look that lovely. What talent!

WOOOOOPEEEEEEE!!! Just confirmed lunch with Sue and Monique tomorrow!! Can't wait to meet Idylls.
    Mart

• Woody_Canada
    18 years ago

Lots of cute (or appropriately scarey in the case of the boys...) kids there! Mary - that cloak will be an heirloom for sure. I'll bet Da would like it - she seems to like spider things. Martie - it certainly sounds like you guys were having lots of fun! We had more kids than usual last night - ~45 instead of our usual ~30 so I think that's an indication of change in neighbourhood population demographics in the past year.

Some rain here this morning so probably not much gardening going to happen today. This is bugbane time - you've got to love plants that are freshly in bloom as everything else is fading! I'll have to remember to add a bunch to the north alley garden next year.
    {{gwi:182526}}

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Does anyone remember the smell of oil paint fumes? Well our entire house reeks of it. Guess I'd best get down to the basement and paint some more of the floor. Too wet outdoors for garden clean-up. The colours outside are beautiful still. My goodness, November. Time flies.

• honey_mi
    18 years ago

Good morning! Its raining out so Im forced inside. Thats good. I need the rest! I havent been keeping up with yall b/c I wanted to take advantage of the dry, warmer weather for fall garden work. Perhaps Ill get a chance later today to catch up. OMG, I just skimmed the pix and can't believe I missed so much.

Talk about a whacko gardener?!! DDs and my neighbors think Ive gone over the edge and theyre probably right! While I raked leaves up in the commons area behind my house they were too beautiful to leave there and redistributed plants, DH shredded the leaves Id already collected. That is until the motor ground to a halt and knocked out the power in the house. He took the shredder apart and decided it was dead. After calling locally to see if we could pick up another one, none were available here. So I called Gardeners Supply to ask if there was any warranty on the one that died. The rep said his was still going strong after 5 yrs. When he looked up our purchases, it turns out I bot the shredder in 03. So theyre expediting out a NEW ONE at no cost!!! And they told me to use the packing of the new one to ship back the old and they are providing a prepaid UPS label to do so. NOW, THATS CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Meanwhile, since the leaves here have started to come down fast and furious and were dry, Ive been collecting up a storm. Were got 15 already shredded bags and 20 50-gal. contractor bags stuffed tight with dried leaves awaiting the shredder. Yesterday, I cleaned up DDs yard pile and all those in the street on her corner. I made 3 trips in my van to cart back all the bags. Last week, I bot the last of the pine bark mulch from the nursery and have been improving the soil as I rework the beds. I still have 12 bags to use to hold down the leaves after I spread the shredded ones on the beds.

I am down to figuring out what to do with 2 areas left with a mish-mash of plants before I start putting in the bulbs. And I still need to figure out what Im going to do with a couple of hostas that need to be divided and moved. Altho I should divide the daylilies, Ill leave that until Spring.

Im pleased with my progress, but still have lots to do. The weather is supposed to be reasonable for the rest of the week, so Im hoping to get the lions share of it done this week. If Im absent, its b/c Im outside.

Meanwhile, Im going to fly thru this sty and try to catch up inside a bit. Im thinking of yall. Back later. Honey

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

I took the day off to get some fall cleanup done. My list is long. I am taking a cappachino break right now.

Wow, lots of nice costumes. Adorable children and creative moms. No picture of Kenzie yet as I didnt see her last night. I told Laura to email me one. I did see her in it earlier. I guess she had so much fun just watching out the door for kids to come to their house. No trick or treaters here in the country.

Sue, since I know nothing about brugs, I really dont know if its too late to send, but we sure can try.

Babs, I loved your fall tour. You sure have some great colors there and what a wonderful blue sky to go with it. Great picture of your family.

V, I laughed about your MIL being born in a "haunted house"

Deanne, another fabulous painting. I just love the way you do the veining, its just so realistic.

Eden and Deanne thanks for the nice comments on the album. Of course you know I only posted the good areas ;o)

Well, Id better get productive.
    Enjoy your day.

Michelle

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

Loved the t or t photos. Mary, now it's very obvious why you were using clear thread for sewing the cape. Honey, good way to go with the leaves. Woody, been following your liability thread on discussions. We have a hazardous garden so would never consider having more than a dozen guests here at one time and discourage small children. However, we love our switch back paths and elevations. I enjoy looking down from above and up from below for the different points of view. However it would not be convenient for anyone who is not completely mobile. It's wonderful that your efforts are acknowledged and appreciated. Days have been beautiful and I've been exploring the woods and park. Most of you have 'heard all about it' before. The hills are glorious with color. EP

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

The decorations are down and Halloween is packed away for another year. I heard an advertisement on a local radio station yesterday that they will begin playing only Christmas music starting soon. That will be too soon for me! I loved seeing all the Idyll trick or treaters pictures last night. What a bunch of great kids we have here!

Babs, thanks so much for letting us join in on your autumn walk. Those were the most beautiful pictures of fall colors. I have to confess I looked at your garden album too because I want to tell you how beautiful I thought your gardens were. And your house is just darling with it's screened porch and all. You should really post those pictures here so everyone can enjoy seeing your garden.

Deanne, I love your painting. The details in your work always just blow me away. Beautiful work!

Marie, so sorry to hear about your MILs failing health. Got my fingers crossed that Plan B works out better for you on your mom's estate.

Taryn, wasn't yesterday the deadline on selling you house? So what's the verdict? Are you moving or are you staying put?

No gardening for me here today. It rained overnight and is pretty wet out but the next three days are supposed to be beautiful so I'm hoping to get a bunch more of the ghetto planted. I did make good progress yesterday. Brad and I are going to plant the bulbs tomorrow too. He drills with the bulb auger and I plant.

I'm off to do some laundry so everyone have a good afternoon...Eden

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

Does this guy know that Thanksgiving is just weeks away? I guess he had been by the neighbor for awhile, but moved to our place last week. I think he heard that the neighbor is a hunter and we aren't ;O)
    He really didn't like me chasing him with the camera.
    {{gwi:182527}}

• babzclare
    18 years ago

Michelle I'm glad you mentioned your albums in response to Deanne and Eden-I had missed your link! I am really impressed with all that you've done-your gardens are beautiful and remind me of the fun things Deanne does with color and form: ) I am lusting over that lupine-it's a great flower color and I love the foliage too.

Eden tsk-tsk for peeking at my other albums; )it's OK. The only reason I haven't posted more pics here is that with dial up it used to take forever to go through the process of posting them here. Having DSL makes all the difference now.
    I have to say on Sunday the leaf colors and sky were just brilliant-I don't remember such a vivid fall as this year's.That was such a perfect day. It's raining today so I'm thinking if I go back there next weekend it might not be a repeat performance.

Martie-that was very eerie,I just happened to notice today that you were from CT and I was thinking you and Sue could easily get together-and by your next post lo and behold you're *doing* it!...maybe I have magical powers lolol. How fun! You will have a great time!

Honey you're making me smile with your leaf hoarding skills. Your DD/neighbors really love you right about now! Excellent,on the free exchange of the shredder-I was sighing in relief or is that,'releaf' lolol(too much Halloween candy; )

V your MIL's birthplace was a beautiful home-love the story behind the curved corners-if a manly cop can be weirded out by happenings and talk about it on TV, it does make me think a bit!
    Sorry Mystic is having those 'water' issues...I'm so glad my kids are potty trained--no really I am: )

~Babs

• janie_on
    18 years ago

I am alive (barely)...been sick and really tired. LOL...not back to full strength but it'll have to do.
    {{gwi:182528}}

My two (in the back)and my brother's three!

I am reading and chuckling but haven't had the energy to post...I am sssssoooo far behind. But I do think of you guys everyday!

• gardeninbc
    18 years ago

Loving all the trick or treaters pics. Lots of great costumes!.

Here is my princess:

{{gwi:182529}}

Gotta get back to work, hope I can stop by for a longer visit later.

Cheers,
    Barb

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Love all of the pictures of the kiddos in costume :)

I feel so neglectful not having created costumes for the puppers and catsters. But here's Rippie impersonating a dignifed dog!

{{gwi:182530}}

This is the real Rippie:

{{gwi:182531}}

• chelone
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I've only skimmed, not giving the 68 (!) replies the attention they deserve... how do you guys keep up?!

Mum went to my brother's on Sunday morning. It's busy at work. And I'm into cleaning and repair HELL with respect to the commercial accounts we have. Everything I touch is FILTHY. Most of the canopies are really grubby, too. I ment things that leave the machine bed coated in dust and heaven only knows what else. The wrinkles on my forehead were so dirty when I was finished. ICK.

I'm crabby, and it's dark now. Not nearly as dark as my present mood.

Mary, you made your decorations? (I told you I skimmed), they are sensational! and I howled at the image of Clousseau gobbling up pumpkin inards while the kids were blissfully unaware... too funny. Maybe when the jack o' lanterns are nicely rotten he'll roll on them for you... :) .

I miss not having trick or treaters. It's such fun... maybe NEXT year I'll have it together enough to contact the few families on our road of child-bearing age and tell them to stop by... yeah, RIGHT.

Ei, Rex would bark like hell and grow his Mohawk when you came to the door. You'd be scared witless (I cleaned that up). BUT, I would have him a leash and he would be required to "sit/stay" while we greeted each other. He would remain sitting while you extended the BACK of your hand for him to smell/lick. Then I would say, "OK", un hook his leash and he'd basically ignore you if you ignored him. He would cruise along side you to see if you'd pat him, but if you didn't he'd "take a powder". I don't permit jumping or being a pest. I don't like it when other dogs do it and I strive to have our dog behave well enough that people who don't like dogs (like me) can tolerate being around him. It's a lot of work; and requires as much vigilence as a toddler, but it's my responsibility as a dog owner and I take it very seriously. It's my experience that most people don't hate dogs (I am a notable exception), they simply dislike untrained/poorly behaved animals.

I finished "Elizabeth I" (TERRIFIC, and I thought of Mary!) and started "A Tale of Two Cities"... but picked up "Jurassic Park" and buried 60 pages in no time flat. Have made note of EP's recommendation.

Awnings on the south side of the house are down. The screens are off the deck canopy and we "bagged" it... too nice to spend the afternoon dealing with awnings. I may hire my friend to help me take down the canopy later in the week. It will be easy and I will learn the finer points of a part of the industry I know very little about. I have to make a secure storage bag for the whole shebang, too.

Let's not talk about cleaning up the perennial borders, OK?!

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Still down under:
    {{gwi:182532}}

{{gwi:182533}}

Meanwhile, outdoors it is still beautiful when it isn't raining!
    {{gwi:182535}}

• wendy2
    18 years ago

Halloween is serious business around here:

{{gwi:182536}}

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

I got the majority of clean up in the gardens done today. I am now exhausted. There were some things that I just couldnt cut back yet because they look so good. Do any of you have the geranium Nimbus? I planted 3 small ones from Bluestone this spring and they have bloomed non-stop all summer and fall. I left them as they are still blooming. As I was looking at one of them trying to decide if I should leave it, I saw a pair of eyes looking up at me. It was a rabbit. We were nose to nose and he just sat there!

More great Halloween pictures from the beautiful princesses to the scary goblins and GI Joe, all are so fun.

Babs, I checked out your garden pictures and loved them. Your garden is wonderful as is your home. What a nice porch. Now that you have DSL, we do expect more pictures ;o)
    Thanks for your nice comments. I should have saved some seeds from the lupines for you. Ill try to remember next year. I grew those from seed.

Eden, that is so sweet of Brad to help you with your bulbs.

Cynthia, that 2nd Rippie picture is hilarous.

Chelone, how nice that you are getting another break. How long will it be?

Marie, what are the yellow trees? Isnt it amazing what paint can do?

Janie, I wondered where youve been. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Marian, are you out there? Are you feeling ok?

Michelle

• triple_creek
    18 years ago

Eden, I just love Bella in her bat costume. Your fowerpot witch candy dish is cute too. I'm with you about the xmas music. They could at least wait until after thanksgiving.

Deanne, your painting is so good, but i'm not familar with that flower. What is it please? Did you get all that stuff accomplished with the plants? Are you having better luck with the changes you made(protien carb thing)?
    I am pleased that in the two weeks my back was so bad I couldn't power walk, I did not gain back any weight. I was able to speed up today and it felt so good to be able to move again.

Taryn,good to see the boys. They look quite frightful. Hope things are smoothing out for you.

Martie, LOL on the , just a minute rest that turned into a nap. I woke up with a headache this morning and took some Ibuprofin, then I fell asleep in the recliner and was dreaming I was quilting. When I woke up Simply Quilts was on tv. I think I was hearing that while dozing. Lol . Have fun with Sue and Monique.

GB, to funny , Vita got a surprise bath. Sorry to hear MIL is not doing well. Your basement is looking very nice. I do know that smell of paint. Before we sold the old house I painted that basement in the winter. It wasn't quite as old as yours but it was old. Wish I had done it sooner. You sound like me about making trips you would rather not.

Babs is that this years pumpkin? The boys look very authentic. I just want to hug Ryann. Bet he would like that. NOT.
    Loved your fall walk pictures, especially the reflections in the water. Nice family photo too.

Michelle, I haven't had a chance to check out your pictures yet. Looking forward to it. Nice catch on the turkey tho. I heard one in the woods the other day. They used to walk through our yard until we got Rebel. The only trick or treaters we get here are one neighbor family. I didn't get to see Wyatt in his superman costume. Maybe his mom got a picture for me.

V , good to hear Mystic is feeling perky. Don't forget to walk him again before bedtime. LOL . Nice you are getting a visit from a friend.

Mary, loved seeing all the kids in costume, they are all so cute. Looks like they had great fun. Any news about Ruths DH job interview?

T, what a cute little tiger. DH wasn't to sure about giving his candy away either. I don't buy it for him any other time. And I didn't buy a lot, because I didn't want it hanging around to tempt me.

Woody , so Bugbane blooms in the shade? Is that about 3x3?

Honey , you have been one busy little beaver. Good for you, getting so much done.
    These last two weeks of bad back sure put me behind. I never get it all done anyway though.

EP, I love walks in the woods this time of year too.

Marian, I hope you are getting some R&R.

Janie , cute group of trick or treaters. Take care and get well.

Barb, and a pretty princess she is too.

Cynthia, Rip does look regal in that collar and content with his nose in the stuffy.

Chelone you are doing some heavy duty reading there. I bet working on the dirty canvas is hard on your sinuses.

Yep, looks serious Wendy. Cute

Well thats it for me tonight. I'm fading away here. Norma

• Mary_NY6
    18 years ago

Hi everyone

Halloween is almost as much fun here as the birthdays are!

Deanne - your magnolia blossom is stunning! I'm sure it will be a popular one for people to try. My dahlias no longer have a name - I only remember they came from Home Depot. The pink and white is a particularly prolific bloomer. My Calliacarpa is in its third year and is 5 ft across - they do get quite large. I need to yank out some of its companions to give it more elbow room.

GB - your basement is coming on a treat! What plans do you have for it when its completed? I loved Kingdom By the Sea. Hearing you enjoyed it made me want to dig out my copy and re read it again.

V - we read Women Reading Lolita in Tehran earlier in the year with my book group. I found it fascinating in places, but very heavy going in others, maybe because I'm not very well versed in Nabokov. I'll be interested in what you think of it when you're done.

Chelone - who wrote the book on Elizabeth 1? Sounds fascianting. Hope your crabby mood lifts and work becomes less messy. I enjoy hearing about your techniques with Rex.

Cynthia - are you ordering from Plant World again? They have Althaea Cannabina listed this year - something I've been looking for a while so I'm doing a small order that Mum will bring over at Christmas. Rippie has a lovely collar and such an elegant nose!

V - Clousseau had me up in the night to let him out so I was yawning along today too. He is very well mannered after dark - he gives the tiniest "ruff" to let me know he needs to go out. If I don't respond he comes and presses his cold, wet nose right in my face to wake me. For some reason, he never, ever does this to DH ! Hard as it is to stir from a deep sleep it still beats a puddle (or worse) to clean up in the morning.

Honey - you sound a whirlwind of activity. I've raked a couple of times, but still have tons of cutting back and a few bulbs to plant too. I picked up some end of season bargains at my favorite nursery - I hadn't bought any plants since Idyllunion so it was fun to go shopping again. Roses were all $5 so I got a Rosa Rubrifolia, a Henry Kelsey Climber and a deep pink Fairy. All looked very healthy. I also came away with some $3 perennials including a Lilafee Epimedium which I'm delighted with. Its fun to have a pot ghetto again.

Michelle - how great to have the majority of your garden cleanup done. This afternoon David called me over as there was a rather small rabbit eating grass right beside the pond. he was very cute. I don't have a Nimbus geranium but would like to try one. I remember David the gardener saying it was one of his favorites.

Eden - I love celebrating Christmas - but not till December. Two weeks ago I was going to nip into Bath and Body Works for some handsoap but the entire store was decorated for Christmas. I just wasn't ready so I kept on walking. I wonder if these stores realize they loose customers by starting seasonal celebrations so rediculously early. (Or maybe I'm the only one).

Its getting late so I think I'll turn in.

Good night all,

Mary

• chelone
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm not feeling appreciably less crabby than I was last night. More curtains to clean and polish, and they're BIG; abut 10'w x 8'h, there are about a dozen of them, and then the next job is even bigger. They're drop down curtains for restaurants, so I deal with this every single year. And the dirty canvas does make me sneeze and blow out some pretty nasty boogers... :) just thought I'd share...

Mary, the book is "Elizabeth I, The Struggle For The Throne" by David Starkey. It's really good! but I've been a bit of nut for British history since I was a kid. Actually, history in general. I like biographies a lot.

I'm not sure how long this break from Mum will last; 2-3 weeks, but she'll be "home for the holidays". This visit involves the final trip to the attorney's office to (I hope) finalize her will and the estate planning. It will be a relief for both my brother and I, though I'm not sure Mum fully appreciates the magnitude of the whole exercise.

Today I have to drop the last 3 dining chairs at the stripper's. I had wanted to do them myself, but the reality is I simply don't have enough hours in the day to do the things I HAVE to do. Inevitably, the things I LIKE to do always seem to find themselves shuffled to the end of the list. So, they chairs will be stripped and reglued, they're pretty rickety, and I'll deal with reupholstering the slip seats myself. I have to wash the curly hair that is tied over the padding this weekend. I can't seem to escape the really dusty, icky work, can I? Then I have to order the padding, the muslin, the cambric and get the frames rewebbed. Rip it down and rebuild it... they'll look nice when they're finished. They should blend prettily with the new sideboard and be A LOT more comfortable and secure then they were.

The basement is coming along great, 'bug. I'll bet getting the stone facade painted is hard work. I've used alkyd paint exclusively in our home and know the smell well. But the finish is unmatched in my opinion.

Enough of my prattling, I have to get the remaining chairs in the car, and get to work to deal with the curtains. I'm also not happy about my hour later start time... I have virtually no time for the dog when I get home and it will only get worse as we get closer to the solstice.

:(

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Outside my window I see silhouettes of trees and the hope of a sunrise.

I need to get an early start on floor painting. It turns out the floor drinks up paint and we need way more than the can indicates for coverage.

The kitties have been prancing about for an hour already...I dare not feed them yet and get them used to early hours.

Yes Chelone, the walls were murder to paint. Those were done in latex paint with a tiny brush to shove in the paint, but the floor I felt just had to be alkyd because of traffic and occasional flooding. Who am I kidding, more than occasional!
    Time to don my yukky painting gear and eat some cereal. Then, to work! Good to know someone else is doing grubby work too. ;-)

Later!
    'bug

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Daylight is breaking here. I have such a hard time getting used to the fall time change. I've been up every morning by 5 and not sleeping well through the night. I don't understand why it throws me off so much but it does. Changing back in Spring doesn't bother me at all. The plan for the day here is planting bulbs and getting more ghetto plants into the ground. Then Bella will be here later this afternoon. I think she is laying claim to my shelves in the livingroom. I need somewhere convenient to store her everygrowing collection of toys and books and since she doesn't have her own room here I think that may be the answer. So I may work on getting all of her things organized there later today too.

Marie, what a transformation of your basement. I know it's been alot of work for you but it's been worth it. When you go down those stairs now doesn't it make you feel good to see it so bright and clean?

Mary, I love Christmas too and I'm especially looking forward to it this year since it's Bella's first one. I'm with you though, I don't like seeing Christmas decorations in October. We do put up our outside decorations a little early, usually the weekend before Thanksgiving. It seems like if we wait longer the weather turns bad and it's a miserable job then. Will Ruth and the children still be with you at Christmas? It must be fun having the little ones around for holidays at your house. They were so cute in the Halloween pictures. And you did a great job on that cape for Annie. David was also a very handsome little vampire.

Norma, it sounds like your back might be feeling better? I hope so. Thanks for the compliment on my candy dish. That was my Halloween craft project from a couple of years ago.

Cynthia, loved the Rippie pictures. How's he doing? Have you got him rehabilitated yet and ready to send back out into the world? I just love the collars on all your pooches.

Wendy, love your GI Joe. He doesn't look too happy about having his picture taken but is very cute.

Barb, Kiana is truly a princess. What a beautiful little girl! How's it going with her and school. Did you get everything sorted out with that?

I had a dream last night that we were having a Idyllunion here in Michigan and Honey pulled up in my driveway and had arranged to have Marian come here as a surprise. I was so excited to see Marian and showed her all around my garden while the three of us were having the best conversation. It was one of those good dreams that when I woke up I wished I could go back to sleep to continue it.

Is it today that Sue, Monique and Martie are having lunch? Have fun girls. Pictures please!

I've gotta get off here and start my day. Lots to do. Have a good one everybody. TTYL, Eden

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Morning all,

Im running late so will have to make this quick and might have to do it in two parts. I couldnt get to sleep last night then I couldnt get up at 6 like I normally do and Ive got to be all warmed up at the gym for Steve to review a few new ab and upper body exercises. Ba humbug. Im feeling so lazy and really do not feel like doing this at all today but must get myself into the heavy exercise mode.~~ I do have to congratulate myself because this is the first time in my life that I didn't eat one single piece of trick-or-treat candy and we bought the good stuff with Hershey's chocolate bars and my personal favorites Almond Joy bars. Nope didn't eat one. ~~Yesterday I wound up cleaning the second floor top to bottom again. It was only about ten days ago that I scoured it and it needed attention again. At least this time it only took four hours instead of two days. I even began washing a couple windows. If I do a couple a day theyll all get done and it wont seem like such a horrible job. ~~ In the afternoon I actually finally got outside and cleaned out half the rose garden (believe it or not the dahlias next to the breezeway are still blooming) and the entire mailbox garden and the new little garden in front of the corner where I had the containers on the bench. Well, Holy Moly! The canna lily I had planted there was ENORMOUS! It was only six or seven feet tall and the clump of tubers was beyond description. It would fill and 18" pot.

Sue, I dont know how the heck you are going to dig out that monster youve got in your garden., You are going to need a backhoe! It took an act of congress to get mine out of the ground.

Cynthia, love the puppers pics but Im really missing seeing the kitties. Next convenient time you have your camera out Id like to see the feline contingent again. That Rippie looks like an entertaining fellow.

Barb, how fun to see you guys! What a lovely little princess.

Jane! What a neat group of Trick-or-Treaters. Fun costumes. That little-little in the front is too adorable for words but Im thinking he maybe should have had the devil costume???

Michelle, too neat about the turkey. There are more and more of them around these days here as well, That guy looks a bit scrawny for Thanksgiving dinner though. He probably doesnt have anything to worry about.

Eden, you must be a woman on a mission, Youve already gotten your Halloween decorations down! I only take down the Jack-O-Lanterns but leave all the pumpkins etc. up until after Thanksgiving. Sorry your sleep schedule is messed up right now.

Bug, Im in awe of your basement project! Wow! You dont need to do any supplemental exercise when doing something like that. You are getting plenty. It really looks fantastic.~~ Your tamarack tree is lovely. At least Im thinking that is a tamarack?

Wendy, wow, he looks a little peeved about having his pic taken or is he getting into the role? Great costume.

So Michelle, now that your gardens are done you want to come to NH and help me with mine??? LOL good for you in getting that finished. Ive got a huge Rosella dahlia that has a ton of buds on it and it is about 7 feet tall and I couldnt bear to chop it down either. We are supposed to have another stretch of good weather so Im seeing if it will open those buds.

Norma, so glad to hear your back is doing better and that you didnt have any weight gain. That is always a plus. I dont know if Im losing any weight because Ive just quit getting on the scale. I do know that I have a pair of LL Bean (non-stretch) jeans that were way too tight to zip and I can get into them now and zip them and sit in them. (I didnt say they were comfortable yet!)LOL so some progress is being made on that front. Im just looking for size changes and ignoring the scale for the time being. I might get on the scale in a couple weeks again.~~ The Saucer Magnolia is Magnolia Soulangiana. Some people call it a Tulip Tree. They can grow to 25 feet and about a wide. A beautiful spring bloomer.

Mary, Have you dug those tubers from that pink and white dahlia yet??? If youve got lots of extra Id love to trade tubers with you if there is anything here Ive got that youd like to have. Sounds like you made a haul with the roses. Neat My Fairy rose is still blooming in front of the mailbox. What a performer.

OK time for me to get myself out of here and to the gym. Have a good day everyone.

Deanne

• wendy2
    18 years ago

Another beautiful fall day here, but not as warm as yesterday - it was in the 70's. Quite a switch from the inch of wet snow we got here Saturday night. Yeah, after I posted that it wasn't sticking, it stuck good. Looking out the windows seeing evergreens weighted down with snow in October is awful! Thankfully the rain washed it all away in the night.

I have done some clean-up, but still have a lot to do. I'm getting it done a little at a time, still not good on my feet for too long. I took apart some of my pots yesterday, and I noticed that my "Illustris" elephant ears plants have no large bulb, but plenty of roots. I bought it as a small plant, should it have a bulb now?

Woody, your gate project is looking good. Your bugbane are great; mine bloomed briefly but is all dried up now.

Marie, the basement is coming along. What a lot of work! I don't mind painting, but that is heavy-duty stuff. I agree, too many projects, too little time.

Babs, I love that pumpkin. I usually only manage the standard triangle shapes - all those curves are great!

All the costumed kid pictures are wonderful, they all look like they are having a great time. My soldier thought that smiling was "out of character", besides we were holding up the pending candy-collecting mission. Babs, LOL on your son and the face paint - my DS insisted on the face paint for authenticity, but DH said he moved so much it was tough to apply it. Getting it off was tougher - the poor kid washed in the shower before bed and still woke up with a 5 o'clock shadow that had to be scrubbed off before school. Do all little boys think that soap doesn't belong on the face?

Martie, your bottomless candy bowl sounded great. I bet you scared some adults too!

V, LOL on your MIL being born in a haunted house. I'll have to go back to check out that link.

Deanne, your magnolia blossom looks so real, such stunning detail. The frame sets it off to perfection! You must have been busy with those containers, did you manage to put them all away?

Honey, it sounds like you have been busy! We shred our leaves too, I talked DH into buying a shredder a few years ago. Ours is a big, honking gas-powered machine, but it gets the job done fast, and it is practically idiot-proof so he lets me use it (have I told you that I'm a bit accident-prone?). We pile up all the leaves in the back, and use them for mulch the following spring. They are also great for the compost.

Chelone, I can picture Rex with his Mohawk, we had a husky when I was growing up and he did the same thing.

Cynthia, I like Rippie's dignified look - he looks like he should be sitting next to the throne - Prince Rippie.

I have been noticing an over-abundance of Christmas stuff out too, it seems it starts earlier every year. I love Christmas too, but after Thanksgiving should be the rule.

Marie, Monique and Sue - enjoy your lunch - I'll be thinking of you guys while I wolf down my soup before playing taxi-driver for my kids!

Gotta run, off to work - half-day today. Enjoy the day everyone!

-Wendy

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

Chelone, we have learned so much from you regarding dedication and endurance which are rooted in love. We have been missing the creative, dancing, sailing, swimming, individual. You will enjoy "Aristocrats" more than I did because you will be able to comprehend the French side of the 'Aristocratic' sisters, all enduring individuals. I appreciate history and found a lot online about the history of that era.. the follow up on the politicians.. such as the King , Charles James Fox (who became an advocate for American independence and helped abolish slave trade) and so forth. Our 2nd daughter has lived in England much of her married life so can relate to the locations and significance. We also visited some of the historical locations when we were living there in the military. I was in my early 20's then and gave birth to 2 children while there, but it was a very significant time. I also appreciated the beautiful gardens around us there. Some historical gardens are now being restored.
    Endurance can be said for just about everyone who shares here.. Each has appreciative qualities. EP

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

One thing I love about the idylls is that you folks explain so many mysteries to me! See, I couldn't figure out this whole thing that went on in congress yesterday, with one party forcing a "secret session" for some mysterious reason. But then Deanne tells us, "The canna lily I had planted there was ENORMOUS! It was only six or seven feet tall and the clump of tubers was beyond description...It took an act of congress to get mine out of the ground."

So that's what they were doing!

Mystic had a good (dry) night and I had a great night's sleep. What a difference! The biggest problem I have with him is that he does not give me a strong enough clue sometimes that he needs to go out. He needs to be more verbal. Mary, Sunrise thinks much like Closseau does; she will come wake me up if needed but never bothers DH. Of course, I am the one who will jump out of bed and promptly let her out. DH sits up, slowly walks to the bathroom, spends a couple of minutes there, finds a pair of pants and pulls them on... are you getting the picture? Call me the "Rapid Response" team!

Christmas - there is a serious effort this year to get most of the US to do all of our Christmas shopping before we get our first serious heating bill. Yes, really. Major retailers are concerned that once higher heating bills start piling up we won't want to spend on Christmas. Personally, I keep looking more and more at alternatives to those "major retailers". Our church has a craft fair this weekend with a fair trade merchandise display, and I plan to see how much shopping I can accomplish there. I also like the goods offered at The Hunger Site. Then I will go to our independant bookstore, and I may try to wrap up my shopping there. Some of you may remember that two years ago we gave my MIL a gourmet dinner for Christmas. She dropped a big hint that she'd like us to do that again, and that's fine with me!

Marie, your basement is looking wonderful! What a lot of work you've done, but it will be such a better space when you are done.

Barb, good to hear from and see you! Great Halloween decorations! Kiana looks so cute; how is she doing witht he school issues? Stop by and update us when you have a chance.

Janie's bunch looks great, and Wendy's son looks sooo serious!

Cynthia, I loved Rippie's "disguise". I will confess that I was seriously thinking about adopting a grey from the nearby track that is closing, but Mystic's recent episode a.) cost a lot of money! and b.) convinced me that I still have issues to resolve with this dog and I'm not ready to expand yet. Dog-wise, that is. Halloween candy has me expanding in other areas as I'm not as good as Deanne.

Deanne, I forgot to mention how wonderful your lates painting is. I'm always in awe of your talent.

Chelone, it's always nice to hear from you, even when you're disgusting (boogers!)

Okay, long interruption here and I've lost my train of thought, so I will post this now and hope I haven't forgotten anything or anybody. I hope the CT idyllers have a great lunch today!

V.

• babzclare
    18 years ago

V I hope Mystic is much better these days. Aj was concerned when I told him about her problem. He hopes she's feeling better.

Michelle that turkey looks skinny: )

Janie-sorry you aren't feeling well. I love the costume shot of the gang. It's fun when cousins can be together for such a fun holiday. That 'little' red devil is cracking me up-I wonder what he's thinking lol. Aj wants to be that same 'Scream' character next year-so far he always picks nonscary costumes. I always loved the classic horror monsters so I kind of hope he leans that way. Since Ryan let me paint him I hope I can talk him into being a skeleton;that would be fun makeup.

Barb she's gorgeous! Looks like you got serious and did some great decorating too-that's a great pic! With this being your first HAlloween in the new house did you get many trick or treaters?

Cynthia that's such a nice fall dog pic!

Wendy-that army guy DOES look pretty business-like!lol

Michelle-is lupine easy to grow from seed? If they are something that I can direct sow I'm better off since I don't have grow lights. If you think of it next season and I remember to ask that would be fun to try.(You know I will forget; )

Eden I actually saw a Xmas themed TV commercial yesterday-it's just not right!

Norma- Actually I do think Ryan would love a hig hug from you! I think it's something about his Yoda ears that makes him so huggable lol.
    {{gwi:182537}}
    Yep,that was this year's pumpkin. I never know what I'm going to do I just start with the eyes and go from there. This one had such a thick shell I was able to give him spherical eyeballs. Wendy if you get one of those kid- safe carver knives they curve 'on a dime'!-the width of the knife blade makes a big difference.

Enough talking I need to get something done for a change!

`Babs

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

OK folks, I'm not too disappointed that I ran out of paint. It's only 10:30am and I don't have the car to go get more. :-) :-) :-)

This is one of THOSE days. The phone rang while I was in the basement, a long distance ring. (a triple ring rather than a single one) So I finally get my oil painted self upstairs pick up the phone with gray paint on my hands, knock over junk on the counter into the dog water bowl, drop the phone in the water....well, you get the picture. I finally got the Varsol to clean the phone off, mopped up the floor and all that stuff. Some guy in Ottawa wanted to speak to DH. I gave him his work number. Why do these yoyos call him at home all the time? At 10am most people have arrived at work, haven't they?

I feel like a full day's work has been done already. Reading about Deanne's new workouts and Honey's leaf crushing makes me so tired I want to go back to bed! But no, I need to plan a menu for Saturday's company, walk Charlotte, etc.

I hope you are ALL still enjoying Fall weather!

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Taking a break from the bulb planting. Have about 100 in and 50 more to go. And I'm getting some of the hosta cut back as I go.

Babs, that's the most adorable little Yoda I've ever seen!

Jane, forgot to say hope your feeling better every day...and what cuteys from your place too.

Back to it...Eden

• gardeninbc
    18 years ago

I should be working, BUT, since I was reading anyways thought I should at least acknowledge everyone. Now we'll see how long it takes me to compose this with all the interuptions I keep getting.

Thanks for the comments on the pic. Loved everyone's costume creativity...ours was was bought at a store. But we did spend most of the day Sunday doing the halloween decorations. It was fun to decorate at the new house and my hubbie did a great pumpkin too that unfortunately you can't see in that pic...the scary one on the right is mine.

Thanks Eden and Babs for asking about Kiana's progress at school. Unfortunately, absolutely nothing has been sorted out. Just after I asked you all about it, the teachers here went on strike and were out for 2 weeks! Poor kids just got back to school last week and now we're all scrambling to get them settled back into a routine. So, too much upheaval to get things sorted out. Next week though is parent teacher interview time and I intend to get some better answers then and hope to come out of it with a plan that the teachers and I can work on together.

Well, just to get this far has taken over an hour and now I must run to a meeting. So, ciao for now. Hoping that Taryn checks in soon to update us and hello to everyone.

Just one more things - Rippie looks so cute in his dignified pose. and I must say that all the halloween pics are fabu fabu but the one of little Iris the dinosaur has me constantly scrolling up to see it again.

ok, I really am going now.
    Barb

• deanneart
    18 years ago

OK so I'm completely TOAST! That trainer is going to kill me. He has me doing push ups using one of those half-balance balls so not only am I doing the push up I have to keep myself from falling over at the same time and then he has me going from that to standing overhead presses but keeping the weights over my head and alternating arms. (Much more difficult than lowering and raising because you ALWAYS have a weight over your head) Then from that to this pull up exercise using a bar that is about 4 feet off the floor. You have to scoot under the bar so that your chest is under it then raise and lower your torso to the bar while keeping your body straight like a plank, then from that particular torture we went right to triceps 'dips' where you raise and lower your body off the side of a bench using your triceps. I almost fell on the floor by the time I was done with that one. Then of course I had to finish up my ab work then do 45 minutes on the Stairmaster. I completely ran 'out of gas' by the end of that workout. Interesting factoid, Steve and I were talking about how I'd like to help other obese people get on the road to healthier living. He gave me a ton of information on how to get a certification as a Lifestyle and Weight Management Constultant. I'm going to look through that and see what the requirements are. He said that he really could use someone at the gym with that certification. (He hires the trainers at my gym) Even if you only helped one person get on the road to healthier living wouldn't that be a terrific thing? Food for thought for me.

Wendy, thanks! Glad you liked the painting.~ Nope, I didn't get the containers done yet. I keep winding digging out the dahlias and cleaning other areas. I think I'm in a major avoidance thing with the containers at the moment. I'd better get to them soon though.

V, so I'm still laughing about the 'act of congress' thing. I had to clean my computer screen because you made me spit out my mouthful of coffee when I read that. You are really too funny.~~ Glad to hear you had a good nights sleep.~~ Glad you like the magnolia.

Babs, 'Yoda' is pretty darned cute!

Eden, I've not bought even one bulb this year! I can't imagine what my problem is but I'm not even one little bit inspired to put a bulb in the ground this fall. Maybe it is the thousands of rodent holes throughout my gardens that is affecting my attitude.

Michelle, I'm going to try to dig out that Golden Tiara hosta in the next couple weeks. If you'd still like a piece of that please email me your address and I'll mail it out as soon as I've gotten it out of the ground. (I'll bet you thought I'd forgotten about that. LOL)

Bug I just hate it when that happens. the phone in the water bowl etc. That usually seems like dominoes when something like that starts, then one disaster keeps following another.

OK lunch is done and I've got a ton of errands to run today so I'm off.

Deanne

• just_t
    18 years ago

Just a short note, DH is home today and will want lunch soon.

I enjoyed seeing all the Halloween pics. Looking forward to a picture of Kenzie when Michelle gets one and of Wyatt when Norma gets one of him. Kenzie was going to be a pink poodle? Should be as cute as that little black bat was. :o)

Marie, the basement looks wonderful! So bright and clean! Do you feel a sense of accomplishment and pride when you look at the photos? I would.

Nothing happening here, thankfully. DH had a colonoscopy this morning and the report so far is sounding positive. I've been on edge for a couple weeks about this and the last few days have been horrible. I handle stress by eating and I was stressing big time. Thus our pantry is depleted and my pants are a bit *depleated* too. :oP Time to behave and get back into the journaling & wise food choices and portion sizes.

Hope everyone is well...

T.

• chelone
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The setting sun (gulp!) is gilding the trees over my shoulder and I really ought to go throw the tennis ball for "Heugene" but my arms fell like jello right now. Anyone remember the scene in the "Karate Kid" when he gets to apply wax... (ahhh... Daniel san, wax on, wax off)? That pretty much summarizes my day today. BUT! Stonewall Kitchen is all ready to be put in storage for the winter. (nothing good in the way of a booger update, though... ). ;)

I have a counter full of dirty dishes, and 4 grungy awnings to put through the washing machine. And then the household bills to pay. I feel like a total drudge...

I heard a story on the radio about trying to get people to shop early, too, V.! My reaction is about the same as your's... I don't think I've visited Wally World since I bought the flags for the window boxes (they were made in China, BTW)... nearly 7 years ago now. The stores are too big. It's too hard to find what I want (if they even have it). I "shop local", too; but do confess that "add to cart" is really a very "good thing". :)

I have to spend the evening with the upholstery supply catalogue. The guy at the stripper's shop is going to try to have the 8 chairs ready by next week. I have 8 slip seats requiring a complete redo... we have no chairs around the table right now. My home is a disaster, I'm a maid, and 3 tons of Calgon couldn't "take me away", at least not far enough...

I have to deal with the dishes. No escaping that cold, hard reality!

• Mary_NY6
    18 years ago

Hi everyone

Babs - Yoda is soooooo cute!! It was a Halloween treat to see ALL the children. By the way, David had one of those horrible scream masks with dripping blood last year - he just loved showing it off to all his friends. We hid it this year as we thought it might scare his little cousins. I miss the cute days!

Deanne - you would be a fabulous consultant for those trying to loose weight. It sounds as if you are at the gym a lot and you would certainly be an inspiration to others. Hope you go for it! I'd be very happy to share some of the pink and white Dahlias. I'm embarrased to say they are still languishing in the ground, I'm rather behind with garden chores. I'll save a clump for you - last year they had multiplied magnificently so there will be plenty.

Barb - I must have missed about the disruption at your school. Did the children have to stay home while the teachers were on strike? Hope you get some good input at your conference.

T - so glad your hubbie's colonoscopy was OK. It must have been a great worry for you both - glad you could still come up with a word play! My DH has Chrohns Disease and has to undergo those unpleasant procedures rather regularly.

Much of today was taken up with Dr's visits here. Both Annie and David had a check-up so I seemed to spend most of the day running from school to school. They were both pronounced in excellent health and we played hookey having lunch out together to celebrate.

As we speak my BIL is interviewing in Washington so keep your fingers crossed.

Mary

• chelone
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here I am with time to "burn" and there's no one else tapping in accounts of life "away"... !

Word from my brother is that the trip to the lawyer was fruitful. The savvy, young lawyer whose specialty is ELDER LAW struck an immediate rapport with Mum. My brother was NOT in the room for certain signatures. Of greater importance, and I want to add here, is that she (the attorney) was ALL ABOUT involving Mum. She explained the entire process to her and patiently answered Mum's questions.

"Elder law"... an evolving specialty! They are up to speed with evolving inheritance laws. They can guide you through the "planning" phase so their client's assets are more fully preserved. Their whole schtick is making asset transfer following death simple and tax-free, or at least, minimizing the liability. It's smart, it's "hip", and it's the smartest expense you'll make in a long time. Get honest with the 'rents about their assets. You're gonna find out their worth one way or the other... be honest and know up front and work TOGETHER to protect them! I sound like a broken record (shrill and off key), but get busy on this!

Dancing, swimming, sailing, creative... they're but dim memories now. I can't honestly remember the last time I did anyting that was remotely creative. I can't remember the last foxtrot. I didn't go out on the boat ONCE over the summer. I work, I attend to my "maidly" duties. I'm doin' time. It'll be OK, but when? I don't know... so I keep my head down, lean into the collar, and do what's required to get to tomorrow.

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

"The wind is in from Africa..."

Well, maybe it's not from that far away, but it's blowing hard from the southwest and carrying the strongest smell of woodsmoke. The sawmill across the road has mountains and mountains of mulch in their yard, so the worrier in me has visions of blazing piles of mulch... 'scuse me, I'm going to go pour myself a glass of wine to "calm my nerves".

Okay, that's better.

Here's my bright, shining moment from today. A friend of mine is under a lot of stress at the moment. Her mom has been ill and the drs are having a tough time getting her meds adjusted, she will be having surgery herself in four weeks, and she's having problems finding someone to help her with a group that she organizes. In response to oneof her emails to the group, I sent her a long response saying that maybe she should just step back and let the pieces fall where they may with the group. If someone chooses to step up that's great, but if no one does let the group "fall apart" for a while. Well, can you all guess what I did? I hit Reply All instead of Reply and sent my message to the whole group. While several people have told me it was a good message, I'm still a little embarrassed that what I meant to be private was very public.

Babs, thanks for the close-up of Yoda. Your paint job is wonderful! You couldn't see the detail in the other picture.

T, glad to hear Jim is fine. I hope the good news continues. Between my "act of congress" and your "depleated" we may owe Deanne a new screen.

Mary, I'm basically unversed in Nabokov, and I was wondering if some of the literary refernces would leave me scratching my head. So far I'm enjoying it though. Best wishes to your BIL.

I got the last of the dwarf iris in the ground before the light faded tonight. Maybe tomorrow I'll try to get some of the hyacinths in. Time to crack out the rubber gloves as they make me itch!

V.

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

Jaden isnt feeling well tonight. No vomiting or diarrhea, but I can tell she is lethargic. Yesterday when I stayed home she seemed lazy. When we went for our run, she ran but not with her usual energy. Gosh the only time we have had a sick dog was the day after Jaden got in a fight with a coon. She was quite sick the next a.m. She was scheduled that day to go to the vet for shots, so that worked out good. She had an infection. I will have to see how she is in the a.m. I may have to take off work to take her in.

The temp was in the upper 70s today. Recording breaking. Too bad it was almost dark when I got home from work. That didnt stop me though, I did a little touch painting outside with my little headlamp.

Monday they took down a large tree by my office. This tree was no more than 15 from my desk. I have the corner desk and this tree was right outside the building. The tree must have been 70 tall and they thought 130 years old. It was an ash and the diameter was probably 4-5. It was interesting how it all came straight down. I was a little worried and after the natural gas leak a few weeks ago and the fire trucks blocking off the street right outside my window, I told the boss that I think we should get hazardous duty pay.

Norma, its good to hear that your back is feeling better. Id love to see a picture of Superman. My DS was superman many years ago.

Eden, I sure hope I was at your dream Idyllunion ;o) This year I really decorated for fall and not Halloween since we dont have Trick or Treaters anyway. That way I can leave it all up until after Thanksgiving when I put up the Christmas decorations.

Deanne, now thats what I call will power to have chocolate in the house and not touch it. Im really not done with cleanup, but am quite aways. Ill come work in your garden if you clean my second floor top to bottom ;o) I started on the guest room the other night. Im cleaning, rearranging furniture and eliminating some of the furniture also.
    I cant even picture the things that you have in your new work out. Of course Ive never been to a gym so treadmills and weights are all I know. You would be a great inspiration and a lot of fun to work with for a person trying to lose weight and change their lifestyle.

Babs, I too think Yoda is adorable. It must be the droopy ears and that infectious smile. I did some digging and found some seeds that I saved from last years blue and white lupines. Since they are a reseeder, you could sow them this fall. I wintersowed some this spring from this batch of seeds and had great success. Email me with your address and Ill send them to you.

T, great news about Jims test. Yes, Kenzie was a pink poodle.

Marie, how interesting that you get a different ring for a long distance call. Ive never heard of that.

Mary, fingers crossed and toes too.

Have a restful night
    Michelle

• babzclare
    18 years ago

I'm I'm having having a a little little trouble trouble here here since since it's it's really really not not that that easy easy to to type type with with my my eyes eyes crossed crossed...in honor of your BIL's interview, Mary; ); )(I'm crossing everything that is able to lol). Then again I bet he's accomplished enough that he doesn't need our crossed appendages to land that job...I'm crossing anyway-no bad ju ju here.

Oh V-I yelped when I read 'Reply All' that's one of those frightening nightmares I envision when I email people. As a matter of fact,once when I emailed Eileen I accidentally clicked on my sister's email addy and then had to explain why I was sending her email there too...well my sister knows I'm batty but Eileen was only just learning lol. Ennyway-the moral is,it can happen to anybody and that was a good thing-now those people will understand the concern your friend has about finding a leader for the group! You have a good heart and if someone's offended I'd say that's their own problem.(I don' tthink they were offended though)
    You're kidding,you don't speak Nabokov? That reminds me,today Ryan decided he enjoys watching Scooby Doo(DVD) in French instead of English. I have to admit it sounds better.I don't kno wwhat Nabokov sounds like; )

Thanks you guys about my YodaBoy-I've decided to make myself a matching hat so that people will want to hug me and smile at me; ). Truthfully the fleece I made it from is so soft I'm thinking about designing a winter hat from the leftovers( I bought WAY too much on purpose).

Michelle-that is sad that Jaden is not herself-I can hear your worry. If it's going to be anything I hope it's something easily treated. I like Jaden's name-and I 've never heard that before-where did it come from?
    Are you serious you would send me seeds?! : )
    Ok I will email you!

T good luck with the colonosc. results-anything like that is a worry. Don't feel bad if you gained-I'v been stuffing my face with Snickers and Reese's cups. I covered the scale with dirty clothes so I can't find it.; )

I need sleep!
    ~babs

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Greetings from frosted CT.

Because of work stuff, the lunch that was supposed to happen yesterday couldn't. All three of us had to back out at the last minute. Some would say we should be grateful to have repsonsible jobs where we can't get away, I say to yesterday: DRAT!! We'll figure something else out.

In the process of removing fake spider web from our lightposts, I broke one beyond repair (it was 20 yo and ugly, anyway) so we're in the market. I have visions of clematis and roses....

Glad all pets are improving. This house is petless for the time being, but I'd love to get a Rat Terrier or other small short-haired creature. DH needs some persuasion.

Had a tough go yesterday and the pics of costumed kids absolutely put me in a better frame of mind. Thanks, again!

Very chaotic day, today, so want to take a few minutes to watch the sunrise, take a deep breath, and get-a-going.

Martie

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

The sunrise here is just gorgeous! Very pink and blue...The wind is very loud though, so I'm not sure how that will affect the day's agenda.

I guess Eden must be sleeping late this morning! I slept a bit later...until 6am. Then I tried to sleep some more, in vain. At least I made up my grocery store list while lying there. A funny mix of activity today, including lunch out with a friend.

Later folks! Enjoy your day...and do something a little silly and don't forget to giggle. ;-)

'bug

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Good Morning all,

Well it is 39 degrees out this morning and going to be another gorgeous day here. The weatherman just said we are going to have four beautiful days here in the Merrimack Valley. Neat. Im teaching this weekend though so Im not going to be taking advantage of the warm, dry days. Oh well, this seminar will finish paying off my laptop LOL!

T, glad to hear from you and very happy to hear your DH is fine. Whoops about the depleated pants. Yep, just start with the FitDay again. Ive found that even when Ive eaten too much the exercise of journaling keeps me in line for the following days. Ive not gotten on the scale for a couple weeks now and almost did yesterday but Im simply not going to until my tight jeans are loose!

Chelone, nice to see you more often lately. That really is too sad that youve not had time to dance.. Doug and I are going to start taking ballroom dancing classes in a couple weeks and I cant wait. It is something weve talked about for a long time.

Mary, Oh Boy! Thanks for being willing to share the dahlia tubers. That is way cool. As I said let me know if there is anything here youd like. How tall does that variety get?? ~~ Thanks for the positive feedback RE being a consultant. I would LOVE to be able to help people with this terrible problem.~~~ I sure hope your BIL has a positive response to the interview. Positive thoughts in your direction.

V "Last night I couldnt sleep" --- You know that is the second line to that song?~~ Hope there is no problem from the sawmill.~~ Oh dear about the Reply All! My worst nightmare.

Michelle, I hope Jaden is better this morning/ ~~Thank you! It really has taken a lot of willpower to stay the heck out of the Peanut Butter Cups and Almond Joys. I absolutely LOVE them but I really want to be at my peak for my HS class reunion in three weeks. LOL~~ Hmmmm I guess Ill pass on doing your housework. That has never been my favorite thing to do but I like a clean house. What a dilemma. ~~ Do you have any pink poodle pics???

OK Babs, Im waiting for a pic of you in Yoda Face! The hat idea is a good one. Id like to see what you come up with for a pattern for that. Im always looking for a good, warm hat. The way I wear my hair makes my head very cold in the winter. I told Doug I want to get one of those Mad Bomber hats they sell at Cabelas. He laughed at me.

Martie, bummer you had to cancel lunch. Knowing Sue and Monique it wont be too long before you have a get together.

Bug, Im going to try to have a good giggle today when Im sweating my butt off on the Cybex machine. BTW, the new workout schedule is working. I can really feel a difference in my clothes. Im getting much more toned than I was. (even though I was already pretty fit) I have an Orvis skirt that I just love and have never worn. It finally fits with no unattractive bulge of fat over the waist band.

Yesterday I walked around the drowsy gardens preparing for their winters sleep and I found a few surprises. {{gwi:182538}}

{{gwi:182539}}

{{gwi:182540}}

{{gwi:182541}}

{{gwi:182542}}

What a surprise to find all these flowers left after a frost. Have a great day everyone.
    Deanne

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

Off to the vet this a.m.

Deanne, I am suprised how many things are still blooming, but you do have to look close. Yours are lovely. That must be a reblooming iris. I think I have planted some, but haven't seen any rebloom yet.

Babs, funny about Scooby Doo in French.
    Jaden is a girl/boy name. I do know several children with this name since I used it.

Later

Michelle

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

Yes, Deanne - "Last night I couldn't sleep..." But it wasn't the wind that kept me awake, it was the rain. Wait a minute, the skies were clear? Oh yeah, it was indoor rain! The upstairs toilet sprung a leak of some sorts about 10:45 last night, and the water started leaking through the ceiling into the kitchen and dining room. I turned the water to the toilet off and I think we got the hardwood floor dried off in time. The house looks like a small disaster area right now, with all sorts of things displaced and bowls spread about to catch the last drips. It did stop dripping during the night but I was too tired to pick up everything this morning.

The excitement can stop now, okay?

I dreamed about Chelone last night. DD and I went to visit her in Maine and she had an enormous dark wood bed in the middle of row upon row of floor-to-ceiling bookshelves. All of her books were lovingly catalogued and she told us to find a book and read as long as we wanted too.

Martie, if you need to sell your hubby on getting a dog, take him to see Monique and Les and their two sweethearts, Emma and Oliver.

Michelle, I hope Jaden is okay! By the way, here's a little advice for your DH, based on my friend Terry's experience. He discovered that cell phones do not survive a trip through the corn auger! He bent over to look at something, the phone fell out of his shirt pocket and finally ended up in the truck. He recovered the phone but it had a deep crease in it and no longer worked.

Everyone swallow your coffee. Last weekend when DH and I were going to the play at the HS, he asked me who wrote "A Doll House". I told him it was Henrik Ibsen and he looked a little confused. Finally he said, "Henry Gibson? Didn't he used to recite poems on Laugh In?"

V.

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Beautiful day here today. Sunny and seventy, what more could you ask for in November? Brad's off at the tire store purchasing a new tire. Seems I drove to the store on a flat this morning and ripped a hole in the side of the tire. I didn't notice it was flat, it didn't drive like it was flat...oh well.

Geez V, do you ever have a night go by without some sort of crisis these days? Glad someone else besides me is having Idyll dreams.

Michelle, hope everything turns out ok with Jaden. Let us know. Megan has a friend with a little girl named Jaden too.

Mary, everything crossed here too for your bil. You almost had me convinced to place an order with Plant World but I was good and deleted it. I alread have plenty of seeds to plant this winter.

T, glad Jim's test came out ok.

Pretty pictures Deanne. I still have some nice blooms too, especially the mini roses. Ballroom dancing sounds like fun!

Well, I got most of the front garden cleaned up and cut back this morning before Bella got here. I did leave up my autumn decorations, just took down the Halloween ones the other day. I still have the mums and kale, a scarecrow decoration and my windowbox full of pumpkins and gourds. I think I'll try to get a few more things planted when Bella goes down for a nap later. I'm feeling like I'm starting to make some progress out there. Have a good day everybody.

Eden

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

Deanne.. I think of you and Da every time I walk in the garden. Your photograpy captures so much beauty and detail. We still have the brilliant volunteer petunias. I have been trimming them and laying the trimmings in places where I hope they will continue self sowing. Some day it might be a garden filled with petunias. I wouldn't care if that happens. Other than that the luecantha is still pretty but declining and the callicarpa is beautiful with the berries. So proud of you, Deanne, for your persistence in self improvement. You are at the top. Go for all the fun it brings. Wishing all peace and rest and freedom from stress. Sometimes everything just seems to go backwards but we can try to keep moving forward. Good to see the children, hear about the reading, the caring. This should be about the end of this thread. We will be doing a lot to get ready for the rest of the year. We will keep tuning in. EP

• teampinner2003
    15 years ago

Hello, I just bought a Galloping Gourmet Oven in almost new condition. The oven did not come with any directions or recipes, and I have no idea how to use it. Can someone please help me with a few hints on how to use this oven? Thank you.

Sponsored
King Construction Company LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Loudoun County, VA Custom Builder for Equestrian Facilities