Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
triple_creek

A tribute to Keebler

triple_creek
17 years ago

This is a little tribute to my loyal dog Keebler who was with us for fourteen years until yesterday.

Some of you may remember the story of how he got his name. His mother was a stray who had a litter of pups in a hollow tree. Hence his name Keebler (as in the Keebler elves of cookie fame).

I found him beside the road while walking one day. He was just a young dog when we moved to this property and established Triple Creek. He was allowed to run free on our 52 acres and stayed with me whatever I was doing waiting patiently for me to finish. Always ready for a walk. Always welcoming us home with an excited bark. Warning of any approaching visitors as soon as they turned in the driveway.Patient and gentle with the grandkids. Barely tolerant of a new puppy (Rebel) that pulled on his tail constantly, but who he came to accept as a pal. He will be greatly missed.

{{gwi:182563}}

{{gwi:182564}}

{{gwi:182565}}

{{gwi:182566}}

{{gwi:154012}}

{{gwi:182569}}

{{gwi:182570}}

Norma

And on a lighter note:

TO GOD: from the dogs

Dear God: Why do humans smell the flowers, but seldom, if ever, smell

one another?

Dear God: When we get to heaven, can we sit on your couch? Or is it

still the same old story?

Dear God: Why are there cars named after the jaguar, the cougar, the

mustang, the colt, the stingray, and the rabbit, but not ONE named for

a
dog? How often do you see a cougar riding around? We do love a nice

ride! Would it be so hard to rename the "Chrysler Eagle" the Chrysler

Beagle"?

Dear God: If a dog barks his head off in the forest and no human hears

him, is he still a bad dog?

Dear God: We dogs can understand human verbal instructions, hand

signals, whistles, horns, clickers, beepers, scent ID's,

electromagnetic

energy fields, and Frisbee flight paths. What do humans understand?

Dear God: More meatballs, less spaghetti, please.

Dear God: Are there mailmen in Heaven? If there are, will I have to

apologize?

Dear God: Let me give you a list of just some of the things I must

remember in order to be a good dog;

1. I will not eat the cats' food before they eat it or after they

throw

it up.

2. I will not roll on dead seagulls, fish, crabs, etc., just because I

like the way they smell.

3. The diaper pail is not a cookie jar.

4. The sofa is not a 'face towel'.

5. The garbage collector is not stealing our stuff

6. My head does not belong in the refrigerator.

7. I will not bite the officer's hand when he reaches in for Mom's

driver's license and registration.

8. I will not play tug-of-war with Dad's underwear when he's on the

toilet.

9. Sticking my nose into someone's crotch is an unacceptable way of

saying "hello".

10. I don't need to suddenly stand straight up when I'm under the

coffee

table.

11. I must shake the rainwater out of my fur before entering the house

-
not after.

12. I will not throw up in the car.

13. I will not come in from outside and immediately drag my butt.

14. I will not sit in the middle of the living room and lick my crotch

when we have company.

15. The cat is not a 'squeaky toy' so when I play with him and he

makes

that noise, it's usually not a good thing.

And, finally, my last question...

Dear God: When I get to Heaven may I have my testicles back?

Comments (19)

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Norma, what a lovely tribute to Keebler. He looks like he was a real sweetie. The pictures of him with the grandkids are priceless. I also got a good chuckle out of the letter to God.

Michelle

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

A wonderful tribute to Keebler. The pics are so special, and I appreciate the humor in the letter to God. May you find healing soon.

• just_t
    17 years ago

Norma, I agree.....a truly lovely and loving tribute to your Keebler. Thank you for sharing a bit of his life with us. He looks to have been a very special and important part of your family. I am sure his passing leaves a huge hole in your heart.

I enjoyed the Dog's letter to God....

My best to you..
    T.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

A handsome boy indeed, Norma.

The Last Battle
    If it should be that I grow frail and weak
    And pain should keep me from my sleep,
    Then will you do what must be done,
    For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
    You will be sad I understand,
    But don't let grief then stay your hand,
    For on this day, more than the rest,
    Your love and friendship must stand the test.
    We have had so many happy years,
    You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
    When the time comes, please, let me go.
    Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
    Only, stay with me till the end
    And hold me firm and speak to me
    Until my eyes no longer see.
    I know in time you will agree
    It is a kindness you do to me.
    Although my tail its last has waved,
    From pain and suffering I have been saved.
    Don't grieve that it must be you
    Who has to decide this thing to do;
    We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
    Don't let your heart hold any tears.

-- Unknown

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

A beautiful tribute, Norma, and a beautiful boy. Such sweet and gentle eyes.

Old Dogs Do Not Die

We have a secret, you and I,
    That no one else shall know,
    For who but I can see you lie
    Each night in the fireglow?
    And who but I can reach my hand
    Before we go to bed,
    And feel the living warmth of you
    And touch your silken head?
    And only I walk woodland paths,
    And see you ahead of me,
    Your small form racing with the wind,
    So young again, and free.
    And only I can see you swim
    In every brook I pass...
    And when I call, no one but I
    Can see the bending grass.

Author Unknown

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Mr Unknown sure is one smart dude!

• jain
    17 years ago

hi norma. what a wonderful tribute, it just brought tears to my eyes... we had to put down our dog of 14 years a month ago and i feel your pain so fresh again... your family album is just beautiful. i still remember when you lost your horse... animals bring so much joy, i just wish they lived so much longer... i hope your heart heals soon, your added humor was a wonderful touch.
    i just read a book last week that had a wonderful concept of death, seeing keebler by the river reminded me of it. the thought was our souls are all collective, like in a river. when they tumble over high waterfall, like in yosemite, the water turns into spray or droplets, the individual souls living, its still water, just unique. when the water falls, it recollects into a river again to continue on. seeing keebler by the river made me think he is not alone now...

• triple_creek
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone for acknowleging my pain. He was a good dog. I am grateful he was able to care for himself till the end and went before I got up yesterday morning. I have had to make the decision for other pets in the past and found it much harder.

Jain, I am sorry you had that sorrow recently too. I like the concept of death you related. I remembered how you always planted a tree or something for all your pets. Keebler now has a small memoral garden.

Sue and Eden , thanks for adding your poems.

Bob and I just read the book "Marly and Me " a month or so ago. A good read about a dog and his owner , but I dreaded reading the end.
    I can't imagine my life without animals. Thankfully we still have Rebel and Jasmine.

• chelone
    17 years ago

I'm sorry you had to bid Keebler adieu. I don't think there's anything tougher in the world.

The "baby pictures" were wonderful, and he was a lucky dog to be received into such a loving home for 14 years.

• saucydog
    17 years ago

Very few dogs can actually "smile"!

Your photography is absolutely gorgeous. I feel like I know his soul just by looking at his picture.

Saucy

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Norma this thread is bringing tears to my eyes. Keebler looks like he was a happy, loving and well loved pet. I'm so sad for your loss. No matter how much we know they aren't as long lived as we would wish for we are never ready to say goodby.

Deanne

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Norma...what a lovely, *loving* tribute to Keebler and what a beautiful dog! Gosh he's even gorgeous in those awkward "teen years"! At about 6 months old all of my dogs always looked like they were just ears and long legs. :-)

I especially love the pics of Keebler with the grandchildren - it's so obvious that they loved him and he them. The pic of your grandson looking into Keeblers eyes and Keebler looking into his says it all about wonderful Keebler. I know it's not much comfort now, but Keebler really was a lucky dog and I can see in his eyes that he knew it too! He had a good life! :-)

I loved the letter to God too...that was so cute! And the beautiful tributes from Eden & Sue. So I hope you don't mind but I want to leave you with just a few of my favorites too:

Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful. LOL, I have to remind myself of that *all* the time! :-)

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.

We wonder why the dogs always drink out of our toilets, but look at it from their point of view: why do humans keep peeing into their water bowls?

EPITAPH TO A DOG
    Near this spot are deposited the remains
    of one who possessed Beauty
    without Vanity,
    Strength
    without Insolence,

Courage
    without Ferocity,

And all the Virtues of Man
    Without his Vices.

This Praise,which would be unmeaning flattery if inscribed over Human Ashes,
    but is just a tribute to the Memory of "Boatswain," a Dog
    who was born at Newfoundland, May, 1803, And died at Newstead Abbey Nov. 18, 1808.
    - Lord Byron -

Norma, I wish there were something I could say to make you feel better (though I know at the moment there is not). It's so hard losing our loving companions. And so sorry to hear about your loss too Jain. It's been eight years since I lost Spike and almost 10 years since I lost Willie and though of course life goes on, still, every time I think of them, I wish I could have them back here with me. It's kind of weird cause the love and the grief is so real, but you think a lot of people wouldn't understand, would think "it's a dog". But, luckily, we have this place and these people to talk to, right Norma?

Shannon is playing in my head...

Ei

• taryn
    17 years ago

Norma, what a beautiful tribute you have done for your Keebler. And what a lovely boy he was--you can see the total love in his eyes, and how great he was with the grandkids.

He is waiting, with my Boomer and all the other beloved pets, for you at The Rainbow Bridge. So sorry for your loss. Until you meet again, I hope you enjoy the link below, and take some small comfort from it as I did...

Taryn

Here is a link that might be useful: The Rainbow Bridge

• drema_dianne
    17 years ago

Hi Norma:

Keebler definitely had some Golden in him. Isn't it wonderful when a happy accident occurs, we find a pet maybe when we aren't even looking for one, or it finds us, and they turn out to be such a nice one?

Ei, that was a great poem, it really struck a nerve with me. I am going to save it, and you also reminded me of my dog Ginger, who was a very special pet for us. She was a dog like no other. She has been gone 8 years, and we all still miss her, and share Ginger stories, eventhough Max and Maggie are good in their own way.

jain! so nice to "see" you. Sorry about your guy too. I miss your posts and wonder how your garden is going.

I am working on a post for the regular idyll.

D.

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Norma, you have composed a lovely memorial to Keebler -- everyone has already said such lovely things as well - I hope they are a teeny comfort to you -- Keebler was a lucky fellow to have found such a wonderful family. I am sure he rewarded you in a fitting fashion just as well. I hope you all find peace in this hard time.

--Cindy

• triple_creek
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I knew you would all understand. Ei I like the cute quotes as well as the serious ones. And just think Lord Byron felt the same way about his dog almost two hundred years ago. Thankfully we had Keebler over twice as long as he had Boatswain.

Taryn, I have read The Rainbow Bridge before, but never saw it illustrated and with music. It was very touching.

Saucy, he never liked having the camera pointing at him so I always had to catch him off guard. I think Sue has that problem with her dogs too.

Deanne, this post wasn't meant to make anyone sad, just to share. But animal lovers that we are all just can't help shedding a tear or two.

Woody, I thought you had lost a dog recently too, but wasn't sure. I'm glad you have room in your heart for another one. I hope it works out.

Drema,Marian, Chelone and anyone else . Thanks for caring.

I think the other dogs are grieving a bit too. But life goes on. I think we will all go for a walk and enjoy the crisp fall day. Norma

• kstrothcamp79
    17 years ago

Hey Mom,
    This is a great tribute to "Keebie". I'm really going to miss his wonderful welcome home greetings. Every time I came home for a visit it was like he was saying "I know you, were have you been?" I hope your memory is as good. LOL I was watching a dog show last night on TV with Tony and had taken the day off today to get some things done around the house. I had a great time just a little while ago throwing the ball for Tyson and Clover. Then when I logged in and saw your email it must have been a sign to appreciate the loyality and companionship that our animals bring us. I'm so thankful that I grew up in a family that had pets. Even living in the burbs is a little easier when there are animals around you.

In loving memory of:
    Honey, Teddy, Sugar, Jaybo, Cody, Zelda, BJ, Cody, Snowflake, Fritz and Keebler.

By the way, Virginia was beautiful!

Love you,
    Kelly

• flowerluvr
    17 years ago

Norma, what a beautiful animal Keebler was. How could you help but fall in love with him? I'm so very sorry for your loss, I know how painful it is. ((((Hugs))))
    Brenda

• oakleif
    17 years ago

Norma, Thankyou so much for sharing your special friend with me. He was so beautiful. and the "Dear God" brought some fond memories of some of my special friends. and the other posts esp the Rainbow Bridge really brought some bigtime tears not especially of sadness but of the joy and love of knowing these loved pet friends and i beleive i will see them all again. Be glad you knew Keebler.Thankyou again
    vickie