Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctlavluvr

Some Different Views of The Park

ctlavluvr
16 years ago

I need to figure out a better name for our property, and will do so at some point. For now, here are some different looks than what you've seen before. I took Deanne's and Marie's advice and just started shooting away. 200 pics later, these came out not too badly. Again, nowhere near where I know it will be, but coming along:

The shrub nursery that will be disassembled next year ...

{{gwi:182676}}

First view of the entire yard:

{{gwi:182677}}

Looking "across the street"

{{gwi:182678}}

And some others ...

{{gwi:182679}}

{{gwi:182681}}

{{gwi:182682}}

Thanks for your encouragement!

Martie

Comments (5)

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

To quote from 'Oklahoma', "Oh what a beautiful day"!

So much space! These shots give a better feel for the large task you've undertaken. A large lot means trees and shrubs. How lucky you are! I only began learning about them once I moved to the farm ten years ago. I should add grasses to this list though. My favourite is Calamagrostis brachytricha these days.

I do love my fringe trees, although no berries on mine yet like in Kathy's yard. I gave away my Callicarpa too, since it never was able to make it to the berry stage.

Keeping up with so much is fun...but also a chore! ;-)

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Martie, are the occupants of the shrub nursery destined for pre-ordained locations ? So much lawn ! You must have one of those riding rigs for all that . I love your light post and the stone edifice around it.

Thanks for the glimpse into the "Park"

Kathy in Napa

• ctlavluvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, it is an expanse. Until now long shots have looked, well, fairly vacant. Found some prints of the very first year, right after all the 20yo developer shrubs had been yanked. Nothing of import -- mostly yews and junipers and some very straggly rhodies. Compared to those, these pics look downright lush :-)

Yes, Kathy, all of the shrubs have known where they're going since March of year 2. Amazingly, I've pretty much stuck to the hardwood and hardscape plan that I started with. Only herbaceous perennials and annuals have deviated from the design to cover baby plants.

The shrub nursery is actually #2, the first is empty except for an heirloom Chaenomeles that was a start from my Mom and has traveled with the family through 3 generations. It's just too happy to move.

And speaking of Chaenomeles. They are in the nursery, but rabbits think they are a delicacy and thus, they haven't grown but 6". Oh, well. Harmonic living at it's finest. LOL

The lawn is totally and completely Rich's. Given the water situation, we've not used the sprinkler system at all, and Rich has learned a lot about "roots are really the plant". Poor guy.

Thanks, again. It means so much to me to have members of this group think I'm on the right track. There aren't many people around that can "see" Year 5-7 from Year 3.

Martie

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Wonderful, wonderful! I just love long shots. It give me such a sense of "being there" I'm very impressed with what you have going on already. Your large expanse of lawn reminds me of what we have on the one side of the house. We call that the "game lawn" The grandkids use that area for football, baseball and bocce ball, so it will remain somewhat open. Thanks for the tour.

Michelle

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    16 years ago

ooh - I love those long shots! WhatÂs in the shrub nursery? Where will they go? With all that space, trees and shrubs certainly are likely to be big players. Any plans for a shrub border along that driveway? IÂd love to have a nice long driveway with lots of space on either side to make a big border of flowering trees and shrubs. I think it would be a fun challenge to plan one with a long bloom season and lots of foliage interest. IÂm influenced by my childhood on my grandparentÂs farm where the road to the house was lined with old trees, and the path to the lake was lined with all sorts of interesting trees, shrubs and plants. Whenever I see/make a path of some sort, IÂm inclined to turn it into a tunnel through plants :-) Do you have some garden or natural space that, consciously or subconsciously, influences your plans for the ÂparkÂ?