Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sewnmom

hollyhocks and lilly of the valley

sewnmom7
9 years ago

im so excited, I just received seeds to HH and LV. doi need to plant now, winter sow or wait till next spring...youd think id know , but for the life of me, I cant remember. id just like to get a head start...molly/ sewnmom7@yahoo.com

Comment (1)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

Did you ever get your answer? I don't know how this happened to be asked in perennials 'conversations'....Growing from Seed, or Propagation forums might have been better choices.

But hollyhock will often germinate in 3-4 weeks with no moist chill. However, sometimes germination can be improved with a moist chill of about one month and it doesn't hurt the seed even if it didn't need it....so may as well start with that if you wish.

Lily of the Valley can be really, really slow to germinate. They will sometimes do best with warm moist, cold moist, cool moist periods and still can take months to sprout.
    Clothers: Sow at approx. 70F for 2-4 weeks, move to 40ish for 4-6 weeks, move to slightly warmer) 50F range for germination.

In Texas, I'd sow them now and leave them outdoors, see what happens in Spring but hang on to the pots for at least a year or more.