Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

A Day at the Farm - Photo Heavy

gardenbug
15 years ago

It is a very windy day and started out with drizzle. It is now sunny.

Allium Ozawa

{{gwi:182686}}

These are Japanese anemone "Charlotte".

{{gwi:182687}}

Asters:

{{gwi:182688}}

Balloon Flower:

{{gwi:182690}}

{{gwi:182691}}

Bechtel crabapple:

{{gwi:182692}}

Roses by the bridge.

{{gwi:182693}}By the pond:

{{gwi:182694}}

Our creek:

{{gwi:182695}}

{{gwi:182696}}

Crocosmia:

{{gwi:182697}}

An oak tree in Ed's memory:

{{gwi:182698}}

Elderberries and ornamental grass:

{{gwi:182699}}

Chocoalte Eupatorium:

{{gwi:182700}}

View of the flats:

{{gwi:182702}}

Foot Bridge:

{{gwi:182703}}

Grass by the pond:

{{gwi:182704}}

Hollyhock by the barn:

{{gwi:182705}}

Honorine:

{{gwi:182706}}

Hosta and tricyrtis:

{{gwi:182707}}

Hosta leaf:

{{gwi:182708}}

Kiss Me Over The Garden Gate:

{{gwi:182709}}

Monkshood:

{{gwi:182711}}

Oranges and lemons:

{{gwi:182712}}

Persicaria 'Blackfield':

{{gwi:182713}}

Phoebe runs!

{{gwi:182714}}

Are you coming too?

{{gwi:182715}}

Front porch:

{{gwi:182716}}

Silver Maple along the laneway:

{{gwi:182717}}

Smokebush Golden Spirit:

{{gwi:182718}}

Wild Sumac:

{{gwi:182720}}

{{gwi:182725}}

Tiger Eye Sumac:

{{gwi:182727}}

Tricyrtis:

{{gwi:182729}}

{{gwi:182730}}

Viburnum berries:

{{gwi:182731}}

Windy Hydrangea:

{{gwi:182732}}

Windy Salvia Black & Blue:

{{gwi:182733}}

Comments (18)

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

O my, so many lovely fall colors. You have indeed created a garden that lasts through to frost. I enjoyed the tour immensely.

Michelle

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Oh GB!

I was just sitting here daydreaming about the color scheme for my traditional long border assignment, and thinking that I'd like to be brave and try an orange and purple garden! And look at your salvia, monkshood, crocosmia, and gallardia (?)!!!! Perfect for the fall season....

I just love getting a peak into your world - it's very pretty this time of year. Phoebe looks as if she enjoyed your walk together....I imagine she enjoys this weather :)

Saucy

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Just lovely! What beautiful color you have for fall. I love how our northern climes close out the season with a blast of color before going to sleep.

Thanks for sharing your world.
    Deanne

• chelone
    15 years ago

What a nice side trip today. I am very envious of the Monkshood... mine looks terrible. As soon as I have a place for it I will be relocating it, in spite of its fearsome reputation for being tough to transplant. :/ .

How much sun does your's get earlier in the season? what's the soil like?

I love the Tiger's Eye Sumac, too. Lately, I've become rather partial to yellows and melons in fall foliage colors. Mental note to self: add Anemones, too.

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Fall does have a way of putting on a show doesn't it. Once I get past the doldrum stage of summer being over, I really enjoy fall. I've been taking daily walks to enjoy it all. Your colors are great. I envy your Tiger eye. Mine always loses it leaves before putting on a fall show. I don't know why. The native ones have great fall color. I also like your Smoke Bush. Norma

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

GB - gorgeous! I particularly like the roses. What variety are they? I didn't realize my Therese Bugnot was going to turn red. Next year, I'll have to keep the asters cut shorter to show it off more. But my Therese is not as showy as those ones, so ID please... :-)

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The roses have no names...:( Sorry Woody. They are all pink ones that sucker and came with the property.

They're a mishmash of things and have tons of dieback every year, no doubt some virus or other...but they come back and bloom again so we leave them there.

15 years ago

GB - do they produce hips? It might be interesting to try to start some from seed and see what grows... If they have hips, could you please collect some for me when they ripen?

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Oh my, Marie! You have so much still in bloom, and lots of other beauties, including Phoebe, the water, and the barn. I like this windy pics too. The row of silver maples almost give me a feel of the wind. :-)
    As I have said before, you have many plants that I have never tried, and that probably would not do well here.
    Does the Crocosmia survive in the ground? I tried some, and they never returned.
    What are the purple leaves in front of the Tigereye Sumac? It looks familiar.
    Our native sumac are the winged and the smooth.

Thank you for the day at your farm.

Marian

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

To answer a few...

Yes, the crocosmia returns. Some people find it almost invasive, while other have your experience of it vanishing.

In front of the Tiger Eye is a very dark Elderberry. I forget which one unfortunately, but it has pale pink blooms.

Yes Woody, lots of hips. I'm not sure when ripe is though!!! They are red at the moment. I probably have suckers I could give you if you dare try.

15 years ago

gb - on my angel roses, I harvest the hips in late Oct - mid-Nov. and that gives me ripe seed so maybe wait a couple of weeks and then collect a few hips from various stems for me to try, pretty-please :-) I think I'd rather try the seeds than suckers - I can evaluate the seedlings when they're small and I think I'd try growing the ones I select in my big driveway pots for a couple of years to see how they did before deciding whether they merit going into the ground.

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Marie, lovely. The farm looks so pretty decked out in her autumn colors. Nice to see the black blob that is Phoebe too:) My favorites are the weathered door and the cupped hosta leaf. Thanks for the walk about.

Eden

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Thanks Marie, I thought they looked like Elderberry leaves.
    I just checked my Balloon flower's leaves and they are starting to turn. Your plant(s) is/are lots fuller than mine. I have a lot of them, but each one is mostly one stem. I am sure mine are too crowded, and in very poor soil.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

About monkshood. (sorry I forgot, Chelone)

What you see is the result of 11 years of growth at a corner of our garage where the downspout leaks. Originally it was one or two plants moved from our Toronto home, now it is dozens. Some years they bloom at the same time as the white anemones which makes a pretty combination. The spot is on the northwest corner, so it gets a good bit of westerly light. The soil? Pretty good I guess, but I haven't studied it for 10 years. (blush)

Remember, it is seriously poisonous.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

OOO Marie , beautiful photos, artfully composed ! I know I will re-visit this thread multiple times. I love all the Sumacs and the late flowers that still holding out for you.Thanks for taking us along !

Kathy in Napa

• Loretta NJ Z6
    15 years ago

Ahhh Marie!!!!!! I have been missing your beautiful photos all season and now I know where to find them! Just lovely!

• denisez10
    15 years ago

I've enjoyed these photos often since they were posted but neglected to comment. The Allium Ozawa is one I keep intending to try here (and it looks like it's growing through a linaria?) And that's a nice dark persicaria. Wonderful fall colors and textures, accented to perfection by that coal-black shaggy beast romping down the pathway!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Gardenbug....really really enjoyed your photos. What a lovely garden you have at every season. That Tiger Eye Sumac really stands out, doesn't it? The Monkshood and Oranges and Lemons Gallardia looks like a combo that would fit Saucy's purple/orange plan for class. Haven't seen prettier foliage on a rose. There isn't one photo that isn't gorgeous. That Phoebe is certainly looking grown up! Fall is my favorite time of year and I've been grinding my teeth staying in the house all week, so your photos have helped. :-) Thanks for sharing!!

pm2