Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanneart

The Flume Gorge - Oct. 9, 2008

deanneart
15 years ago

HI all,

What a splendid day Doug and I had yesterday. The weather was absolutely perfect, the colors in the mountains at the absolute peak of perfection. Even though we are coming up to the busiest of the "leaf peeper" season the traffic wasn't bad at all and there weren't crowds of people in the Gorge. There were only a couple bus loads of tourists in while we were there and one was a group of Jr. High School age and they quickly outwalked Doug and I and one was a retirement tour and we quickly outwaked them so I was able to take scads of photos without bumping into too many people.

For those who've not heard of our gorge here is a blurb from the visitors bureau.....

"A natural chasm takes visitors from the Flume Visitor Center on wide gravel paths and wooden walkways through covered bridges, past waterfalls and through the 800-foot long gorge with its sheer 90-foot walls. Scenic pools, glacial boulders, and mountain views. Discovered in 1808, the Flume is a natural gorge extending 800 feet at the base of Mt. Liberty. The walls of Conway granite rise perpendicularly to a height of 70 to 90 feet and are from 12 to 20 feet apart."

After walking about 1/4 mile through a wooded path you come to this covered bridge over the Flume Brook which runs through, and cut the gorge. It is a tributary of the Pemigewasset River.

{{gwi:182986}}

A short hike from the covered bridge will bring you to Table Rock, a 500 foot long by 75 foot wide piece of Conway Granite that has been eroded by the Flume Brook for thousands of years. The grante has been carved into these beautiful ripples and the water flows in a thin silvery sheet over the granite.

{{gwi:182988}}

{{gwi:182990}}

Continuing on up into the gorge the trail follows along the brook....

{{gwi:182992}}

{{gwi:182994}}

And further along there is a series of bridges and then finally a catwalk that clings to the sides of the gorge.

{{gwi:182996}}

{{gwi:182997}}

The catwalk brings you to Avalanche Falls at the head of the gorge

{{gwi:182998}}

Continuing along the trail winds through lovely second growth hemlock and beech forest. It's the most beautiful golden yellow this time of the year.

{{gwi:182999}}

The trail again crosses the brook with beautiful views....

{{gwi:183000}}

And further along the trail crosses over the Pemigewasset River where it forms a deep pool--40 feet deep and 150 feet in diameter...

{{gwi:183001}}

And another view from the trail....

{{gwi:183002}}

I've included a link to the complete gallery of 33 photos I posted from the hike through the Flume if you've got the time to take a longer 'tour'.

Enjoy!

Deanne

Here is a link that might be useful: The Flume Gorge

Comments (15)

• just_t
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Heavenly fall colors and beauty! Thanks for sharing Deanne!

T.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

That certaily looks like a fabulous place for a walk! Thanks for taking us along.

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

We have nothing within my driving&walking abilities to see that compares with that. VERY gorgeous.

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Wow! what a fabulous place to spend a day. Being a farmer's wife I may never make it to New England for a fall color tour but this is just as good. Thanks

Michelle

• saucydog
    15 years ago

I have to get my rear in gear and get up to the Flume Gorge!!! Thank you so much for sharing this trip with us...it is something I really need to do, especially now that both kids can hike well and they need to do this, too :)

I can't wait to show my husband, I think he's only been up for the summer scenery (which I hear is nice, too).

Saucy

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

How beautiful! I can't wait for DH to get home to show him. Like Michelle, I doubt we'll ever get there in the fall, but thanks for taking us along! Your pics are the next best thing to being there. :)
    Brenda

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Since DD went to UNH I've had the good luck to do some hiking in the area...but long ago. Sure is nice to revisit, Deanne & Doug!

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Wonderful Deanne ! I will be spending some time with the gallery later this evening...all a perfect antidote to a very tumultuous work week..
    Kathy in Napa

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Incredible! I can't wait to see the gallery. Thank you for taking us along.

Jerri

• chelone
    15 years ago

The fall circle drive was a yearly ritual for Dad and me for as far back as I can remember. We'd be up before dark and began our day with breakfast, planning the route while we ate. Sometimes it was rte. 16 N to rte. 302 and through Crawford's Notch, sometimes it was the Kancamagus Hwy. north to Lincoln and then rte. 3 south. I was the "wheelman" when I was learning to drive and after I earned my driver's license. Your pictures are lovely, and bring back many happy memories. My favorites are #s 11 and 12, with #9 and smiling Doug right up there, too.

Another nice time to visit the National Forest and those sites is in early spring. The freshets are racing, there are no bugs, and all around you can smell the forest. The sun is very warm and you can feel the cool of the remaining snow, too. It's beautiful, but can be mucky. :)

• deanneart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate you kind comments and I'm so pleased you enjoyed the pics. I wish I could have had all of you along for our walk. It was so pretty!

Deanne

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Deanne I love it when you take these beautiful fall hikes. Thanks for taking me along through your great photos. Norma

• denisez10
    15 years ago

I emailed both threads to Marty, and he was floored. Spectacular scenery, Deanne, now on our must-do list when Back East.

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Deanne, How great that you and Doug were able to enjoy such a nice day together. What a beautiful place! I'd love to be able to see it in person sometime too. Seeing it through your eyes is the next best thing though.

Eden

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Deanne....I spent some time looking through your Flume Album. It was almost as good as a trip there myself. I can't look at your photos without saying again, what a wonderful eye you have. My favorites in your album were #2, #15, and #28.

Thanks!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor