Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Idyll # 509 October skies

Chilly out there this morning - the shift into October felt very obvious during walkies at 8:00 a.m. this morning! (Leather jacket and gloves for me - although Randy was still in shorts and sandals!)

I noticed this morning that I seem to have a patch of unusually dark (red-purple) asters in the little bed behind the driveway border. The picture below isn't very good but you can see that they're not the lighter purple-blue of most of the asters I have. I'm going to try to remember to mark the base of them so I can tell which are which next spring.

{{gwi:183023}}

The asters at the end of the driveway are huge billows this year. The combination of the purple and the intense magenta-pink always drives me crazy but Randy likes it and doesn't want me to change it!

{{gwi:183024}}

Comments (102)

• jak1
    12 years ago

Oh My goodness. Two whole weeks with no computer. I thought we would all croak!

I am back, bright eyed and busshy tailed and rarin' to go!

With no computer, I had lots of free time. I started to look at the basement rooms (guess where this is going!)

One useful but ugly fold out couch with cat scratches in the fabric. Two once beautiful upholstered chairs that were worn, dirty and tacky. An unused treadmill (sorry, I just can't get into it). A decent coffee table. Two acquariums that were not properly tended. Three tier plant lights being used as shelves. Dirty rug. Huge 54" t.v.

The last straw: the t.v. quit.

Tomorrow movers are coming to take the old couch and the treadmill and the t.v. to DS's storage unit as he thinks he can fix/use them. The handy guys with a truck are taking TCS's mattress, An old huge computer desk thing,an unused work bench that has seen much better days, three bags of junk, and two crates of wood ends to the dump.

DH has cleaned up the acquariums.

On Wednesday a new t.v. arrives. Our upstairs one is going down stairs. On Friday the new fold-out arrives as does a new mattress for TCS. Meanwhile, the carpets are being cleaned. Once the computer desk is gone, the seldom used office will be rearranged and the plant lights relocated. Book shelf stuff is being sorted and stored or tossed appropriately.

And thinking fondly of Chelone, the two chairs were put on the curb yesterday with a "Free" sign: one was picked up while I still putting up the sign, the other was gone in an hour.

How have you all been??

Cheers,

Julie

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You've been busy/productive Julie! Two weeks without a computer would kill me these days :-) We have three computers now - Randy has two (a desktop and an Apple laptop) and I have one. So we figure we're covered - if one computer dies, there's another available while the dead one gets fixed or replaced. Getting a second computer was a prerequisite for Randy to retire a few years ago. We realized sharing one was not going to work well longterm since we both use the computer a lot.

Speaking of Chelone... where have you disappeared to?! Your 'voice' is missed here, plus we need an update on your latest projects :-)

gb - what did Phoebe do when she ran into you? Phoebe, along with all our visiting dogs, has learned to give me clearance (most of the time) and knows that 'Excuse me...' means 'move out of my way or I'll bump you with the walker'.

We just spent a couple of hours in the front garden, starting to cut things down. The nights have not been as cold as normal at this time of year, so a lot of stuff is still green that would normally be yellow or leafless by now. So I've left most of that standing - a second round of cutting back will be needed in a week or two. Most of the backyard stuff is still green so we're not doing anything out there yet. We did plant the variegated hydrangea we bought in Niagara last week. The ash tree leaves and pine needles are falling but only about 1/2 the ash leaves are down. There's no point in starting raking until they are all down! The ash trees on both the property to the north and the one to the south are both sick and have lost all their leaves. Ours is still looking good so far and I assume the fact that it has held onto its leaves longer is another sign of that. The ash to the north is suffering from Emerald Ash Borer. I think the problem with the tree to the south is as much old age as it is EAB - the trunk has been deteriorating for a few years now. I'm greatly afraid it will come down on our house one of these days! It's closer to our house than the neighbour's and, if the wind is from the SW when it falls, it will come down on top of the room I'm sitting itn at the moment! There was a strong SW wind the other day, so I stayed out of this room most of the day!

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

Projects at the Compound must be in high gear..hopefully Chelones ears are burning ! We haven�t seen hide nor hair over on FB either.

Julie, you may be a poster child for what to do when the computer goes down..my garage is the 'Julie basement' of this house, and it's on the punch list for this winter. It's just basically full of crapola.

Our nights have been quite emperate her Woody, in fact they seem warmer than most this summer. We typically don�t have warm nights in summer- one of the things I enjoy about my visits to the east coast is being able to go out at night without a jacket or sweat shirt on. On the other hand, cooling down at night means way less A/C in summer.

I got a recommendation today for a landscape dude to remove my shrub victims. I�ll call tomorrow and get a quote. Hopefully I can get it done before the rains come and my garden turns to mud.

All for now !

Kathy in Napa

• yeonasky
    12 years ago

Wow Julie you've out Julie jobbed yourself. I can't even imagine getting through the kitchen, living room, bath and bedroom cleanups, laundry,and cooking, and have time to tackle the spare rooms as well. Except today. Today I only work for 2 hours. Usually I work for 8 to 10 hours and travel for 3 hours. Anyway, I could use more organizing/decluttering at home. For me it's the basement office/nephew's rooms. I do the decluttering as part of my business, and would love to see the same wonderful results here at home.

Here the computer situation is kids and hubby each have two or three. I have one and mine is up for grabs when others' break down. They know I'm a softy and will gladly lend them my computer. I don't use it even a quarter as much as when I had a life of leisure (migraines =s no life, but tv and computer). Now I'm out at work. Like Saucy, and I'm sure Chelone.

I'm up early tomorrow, and it's 10 p.m. already, so I'm off to sleep.

Yeona

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Tuesday, another busy day with mixed activities. This morning I cleaned up lots of dishes left after last night's book club. The eggplant and other fresh vegetables from the garden made an excellent cream soup which everyone - liked and even asked for seconds. The discussion was good too.

I managed to plunk the 7 pots of clematis seedlings into the vegetable garden, clean up the eggplant and rhubarb areas too. I mowed several areas, ground up leaves and blew them off to the side. There are loads of black walnuts around and they are messy.

Just before dinner a visitor arrived with his cat, Kiara. We are caring for her while he is on holiday. So certain rooms with doors are marked off for cat use only. It's tricky keeping her away from plants and dogs! Tomorrow Phoebe's buddy Sparkles is coming over until Sunday while her family is away. So the grand total is 4 cats and 2 dogs for the next little while.

Woody, you asked about the incident where Phoebe crashed into me. She was very excited that her friend Denis was visiting and rushed over to be with him, ignoring people & furniture in her path! I think she was just hyper excited!~

More later!
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

I realize I haven't shared any of the photos I took at Digging Dog Nursery when I was on the coast ..I love the display gardens here, unfortunately it was a little too sunny for good photos --where is that north coast fog when you need it ?

Along the Hornbeam hedge.. {{gwi:183075}}From Mendocino Oct 2011

This planting is embedded in the stairs that transit from one level of the garden to the other. {{gwi:183076}}From Mendocino Oct 2011

The grasses were in full glory {{gwi:183077}}From Mendocino Oct 2011
    {{gwi:183078}}From Mendocino Oct 2011

Loved this urn ! {{gwi:183079}}From Mendocino Oct 2011

Rose hips...Rosa Alba perhaps ? {{gwi:183080}}From Mendocino Oct 2011

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

Tonight is supposed to get down to 26. All the plants that are coming in are either in or in the garden shed or garage. I picked all the remaining tomatoes that have potential to ripen on the counter.

Tomorrow my mom will have back surgery. She is in terrible pain and can barely walk even with a walker. Both of my sisters from out of state and my niece are coming for it. It is also one of my sister's 50th birthday so we will have to celebrate a bit also. We all plan to wear black in honor of the special birthday.

Yeona, sorry to hear about the bindweed. I have it in one of my gardens and despite my best efforts this summer it was not erradicated.

'bug, I think I need a helper like Ivy. Kenzie isn't much of a helper. She has her own agenda when she's in the garden. Although, she does like to pick produce. It appears that nothing is out of reach for Leo. He looks pretty accomplished in getting where he wants to go.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Well at least I don't have to cook for my house guests! Kiara the cat is very shy still. Sparkles the dog is NOT! She jumps on us at times and is required to SETTLE! I was surprised when she jumped on the couch because Phoebe doesn't do that.

The creek is flooded and very brown. I hope it goes down in a day or so when the rain is supposed to end. It is fast moving and noisy and reminds me how fierce nature can be.

DS is in California for a conference and will get to see his cousin who owns bike stores there. He hopes to get pointers to set up some sort of biking activity in Haiti.

The poster I have been assisting with is at last complete and submitted to a competition. Regardless of what our success is with that, we now have a very good handle on recruiting skilled volunteers. (This picture is not full sized)

{{gwi:183081}}

I am very happy with the more recent photos and blog posts from the volunteers. Their work with the students, with mapping activities, hiking in the mountains, Pen Pal activities and so on are very exciting. Here's a favorite photo of mine. Talk about a walk to & from school!

{{gwi:183083}}

On the home front, the garden colors are more subdued and there are lots of berries etc.

Fringe tree
    {{gwi:183084}}

Euonymus europeus
    {{gwi:183085}}

Fothergilla
    {{gwi:183086}}

Chard
    {{gwi:183087}}

Take a look around the site below for some updates!

Here is a link that might be useful: buildingaschool

Original Author
    12 years ago

AARRGH! I just lost my post!

Michelle- I hope your mother's back sugery went well and that it improves things for her. A bad back is no fun at any age.

Yesterday the house smelled wonderful here. We harvested all the green cherry tomatoes and used them to make mincemeat. Making mincemeat always makes the house smell like Christmas. Next month's Christmas cooking will be plum pudding. Where has the year gone?!

Dexter is here for a couple of days. Misty isn't too happy about that I think. Dexter can be quite rowdy with her and she's too old now to want to play with him. She's also increasingly vision-impaired with cataracts, so she's more inclined to quiet activities these days (i.e. snoozing beside us on the couch!) Dexter is on the cusp of the age when he should be maturing into a calmer dog - we hope he gets there soon!

gb - the picture of the kids heading to school really shows the bad state of soils in Haiti. I've read about that before - that's a pretty depressing picture.

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

Already Friday tomorrow ! I guess it�s a good thing, Saturday is grocery day and scrounging meals has become a challenge. This weekend I�ll be teaching a seminar on attracting birds to your garden, so that will effectively erase half a day, but after this weekend is over I have a clear calendar til DS�s next play opens. I do need a few at-home weekends to get the chores caught up here. Bathroom cleaning, cobweb abatement, floors, baseboards and�ach the garage ! Still no sign of frost or rain, days will continue in the mid 70�s , nights in the 50�s.

�bug, I think your poster turned out nicely-it�s attractive and informational at the same time. And a photogenic �model� too !

Woody, my late little dog (Tasha) had cataracts (diabetes induced) but got along pretty well for a few years. My BILs aussie Shepard had the same issue, but they forked out the big bucks for surgery. Their dog is still relatively young , and since they were in a position to afford it financially it made sense for them.

Ok, going to catch a bit of tonights World Series game before it�s over �

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Kathy, designing the poster was rather like designing a camel by committee...but we reached agreement, across three countries, by the deadline, complete with parental permission. It was down to the wire though!

Woody, I won't deny the horrendous problems faced by Haiti, but certainly Ontario has its issues as well...like the 2,000 acre Melancthon Mega Quarry and others. (DH presents at a meeting for planners tomorrow.) And so I prefer to see what bright spots I can and do what I can do! The kids in the photo are probably not going to school really, though some do travel lengthy distances to do so. By the time they reach school, some sleep and turn around and go home again. But things seem to be changing bit by bit. Admittedly there's a long way to go! (Little by little the bird builds its nest)

Which makes me curious about Kathy's talk on attracting birds. My MIL always loved attracting hummingbirds. She too was in California where there are many varieties. We only get one type here.
    I sympathize with the bare cupboard syndrome. I think tomorrow I'll make a cheese souffle. Eggs & cheese I have, as well as greens still in our garden.

Oh! For Woody, a photo of my heptacodium at its end of fall stage.
    {{gwi:183088}}

Sleep time!
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

Seen over open FB today, was Norma's new horse and Sues accidentally adopted cat socializing with Nick. Picks of Moniques fabu fall garden too.

Bird class went well this morning, I discussed and displayed the different type of feeders and food, discussed habitat creation, and plugged a few new products that we will have this winter . All my travels to trade shows this summer were instrumental in finding some new 'bird stuff' vendors.

The weather is still fantastic, though it dipped down to the mid 40's last night and felt downright chilly in the house this morning. I think I'm going to set up the greenhouse tomorrow. I'm thinking about the winter indoor homes for some of the succulents , those in larger pots will go into the greenhouse.

Ok, all for tonight !

Kathy in Napa

Original Author
    12 years ago

Frost on roofs here this morning - winter is coming! :-(

gb - there is more color in the calyces on the heptacodium here this year too. The overnight temperatures have been higher than normal this month so far and I think that has made a difference. But it's nowhere near the colorful show that I remember Monique posting pictures of! With the frost this morning, I doubt the color will develop any further here.

Norma - you need to post a picture of your new horse here too so we non-Facebook types can see it too!

Kathy - any particularly ornamental bird feeder stuff we should be looking for...?

• triple_creek
    12 years ago

Woody I am trying a clickable thumb because I didn't resize my photo. See if it works for you. If not I will redo it. Call me lazy.

{{gwi:183089}}

• triple_creek
    12 years ago

I just bought him last night and don't have him home yet. I'm waiting on a vet check. I hope it turns out ok.

He is a seven year old Missouri Foxtrotter. His name is way to long! ' Lucky Joey M. Charming Lad'. I will probably call him L.J. or just, Joey. Or whatever nickname he earns. I'm excited to get him. We will take things slow until we are used to each other. He belonged to and 85 year old man who hadn't ridden him for a while. The lady I bought him from had only had him a cople of weeks. She didn't have any problems with him at all. I rode him and was comfortable with him. He just needs more riding.

I have been cleaning up my tack. It sure is soaking up the leather restore. I need to buy a new curb strap a girth and saddle pad.

Things have been hectic around here. I miss you ladies and hope to post more often soon.

Norma

Original Author
    12 years ago

That link worked for me Norma. That's a nice-looking boy! I hope he clears the vet check.

I'd never heard of that breed and had to look it up. It sounds very interesting. The only horse I've ridden with an unusual gait was a Paso Fino. That was interesting. It sounds like maybe the gait for the one you bought might be similar...?

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

It got into the 80's here today ! But it's cooling down fast now that the sun is setting. I spent the day cleaning up some areas outside..I had to clear a space for the greenhouse and some of my work areas were getting pretty sloppy looking. I have some lily bulbs to palnt that came with my order of drumstick Alliums, but I'm having real logistical problems relative to the large shrubs that need to be removed. Can't plant stuff til they're gone !

Norma, your horse lingo is greek to me ! I have no idea what a curb strap is ..we LA girls are pretty lame when it comes to horse stuff. I had a friend when I was growing up who lived in The Valley ( of Valley Girl fame) , back in the 50's and very early 60's it was very rural and horsy. Her neighbors on either side had horses, and she was mad for them , but was not allowed to have them. Eventually the Valley became a bedroom community for LA and several of the movie studios moved out there too ..lots of open land back then. ..rooting for your guys in the series and trying to pretend I can't hear the inane game announcers. Jeesh, I can�t stand those guys.

DS is heavy into "Annie" rehearsals, and has a callback audition tomorrow for Pirates of Penzance. He has shows lined up through January at this point.

Ok folks..

Chelone ???

Kathy in Napa

• triple_creek
    12 years ago

You know what I like about this group is the varied experiences we have all had.And still have. Makes me wish I had known you all when we were younger.

Woody I have never seen a Paso Fino except on tv. I imagine the gaits are somewhat simalar.

Kathy last nights game was all about the Rangers pitcher I guess. At least the Cards didn't let them score 15 runs. The previous nights game was much more exciting.

Yesterday was pleasant weather for yard work. I have my first round of leaf cleanup done. But the first breeze will just replace those soon. I woke up with a headache from the dust I breathed yesterday. I need to get my Dragon Wing begonias cut back and repotted and get them in before I lose them to frost. I stuck them in the barn a couple of nights already.
    There are birdbaths and other pots to put away too. This is not the fun part of gardening. LOL

Bug it's good to see pictures of the kiddos again. Ivy and Leo are so cute. You are a busy lady these days too.

My headache is telling me not to look at this computer anymore so away I go for now. Have a good day everyone.

Norma

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

It was another lovely day. Too bad it's getting dark so early. Harvest is still progressing. We haven't had any rain to slow things down. The gardens are incredibly dry. I've been hoiking a few things but it's actually rather hard to dig them out. We got down into the mid-twenties last week. Most of the annuals are gone but not all.

My mom has returned from the hospital. I stopped there for lunch today and brought some chili soup I had made with some of the final tomatoes from the garden. I think my dad has his hands full trying to get her to take it easy.

Norma, I don't know a whole lot about horses either, but I'm sure it will be a wonderful thing for you. My sister and husband have horses and are very big into the rodeo. He grew up on a Nebraska ranch.

Funny my son who has never been interested in playing or watching sports has now become a big Rangers fan now that he lives in Texas. Must be something about having a local team. Iowa doesn't have any major teams.

'bug, you have lots of nice color in your garden. Your chard wouldn't survive here as it is a favorite of the deer.
    Here's a bit of what's going on in my garden these days along with a picture of my sister and I at the hospital. It was her 50th birthday that day.
    {{gwi:183090}}

{{gwi:183091}}

{{gwi:183092}}

{{gwi:183093}}

{{gwi:183095}}

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Very few leaves remain on our property after the rains. This morning, after the thunderstorm, there was sun for a few hours and things looked fine. Unfortunately I had indoor work to deal with.

On the weekend we managed to pick up a tent and air mattress for our trip. No Holiday Inn nearby Ecole Shalom! Also picked up some school goodies, things like posters, French math activity books, puzzles, clock faces, etc. Still a few more items needed.

Some recent photos to share-
    DS presents at the OLPC San Francisco Summit.
    {{gwi:183096}}

Ivy enjoys her Russian dolls, especially the tiniest one.
    {{gwi:183097}}

But later, passes out at dinner time!
    {{gwi:183098}}

Leo, the super contented fellow, at his hospital procedure.
    {{gwi:183100}}

Nighto!
    'bug

PS: Hard to believe Sue has a cat too!!! Name?

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

Sue and Twerp taken when I visited in August. Twerp and his mom were dumped near Sues house this summer. As I recall, the mom was very friendly and affectionate and Twerp started to come around in short order. She fed them and was able to get close enough o wrestle them into the carrier and get them to the vet for shots, check-ups and neuter/spaying. She found a home for the mom pretty quick, but no takers for Twerp. Quite a saga involved with Nick ! After all these months they have become cautious friends, and we are entertained over on FB with photos of the two of them -we have progressed from Twerp up a tree to the two of them on adjoining pillows inside the house.

Love the photo of Ivy snoozing in her dinner, lol.

Michelle, my artichokes are growing like mad now that it has cooled down. Most of the commercial chokes here are grown very close to the ocean where temps are cooler- I hope to get some bounty from them in spring . That is a fantastic photo of you and your sis !

All for now...

Kathy in Napa {{gwi:183101}}From 2011-08-23

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Thanks Kathy! It will soon be time to start a thread for Idyll pets once again....

Here's our visiting Kiara:
    {{gwi:183102}}

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

Kiara has that annoyed kitty look !

The weather dudes actually had the nerve to predict 34 as a low tonight ! I hope they're wrong..I've yet to put up the greenhouse or bring a single plant in. When I checked a few days ago it was high 40's all the way for several days.It's still hitting the mid 70's daytime. I did clear the space for the greenhouse so I need to put it up this coming weekend without fail.

Waves..

Kathy in Napa

• jak1
    12 years ago

Good morning friends! Beautiful sunny day here today, following about a week of dark dreary and sometimes wet weather. It is getting cold here now, below freezing predicted for every night this week. We have turned on the furnace for two mornings in a row.

All of my plants are in. The birdbaths emptied and the feeders full. Outside faucets turned off, hoses drained, water barrels emptied, air conditioner covered.Only one garden chore remaining: today I will plant my garlic. It still seems odd to me, after over twenty years of raking humungous piles of leaves at our old house, that I have to "borrow" some from our back door neighbour to mulch my garlic!

There are so many beautiful and adorable photos on this thread! Who knew that fall could look so beautiful! Bug, Michelle, Kathy, Woody...you have a great photographic eye!

I love the kiddie photos too. All the grands are growing like weeds...good weeds, that is! And the Haiti scenes are fascinating. Things that we don't usually see....Thanks everyone!

Lots of pets too: horses, dogs, cats. I love them all.

I have also spent the last two weeks going through every single thing in my basement, and it is now as close to perfect as I can get it. One tiny problem: DH's 65 gallon acquarium started to leak about half an hour after I had decided that the basement was done....So he has spent the last week bring acquariums back from storage, cleaning, repairing, moving fish..*sigh* Twas ever thus: get one thing done and another jumps in to take its place, Like prairie dogs - pop up here, get that one, another pops up over there. I bet I could make a video game out of that!

I have seen many Idyllers on FB, but notably not Chelone. Anybody heard from her?

I'm off. Dust is two weeks thick here I've just noticed.
    Going to do that before the garlic!

Cheers all ! Take care!

Julie

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Dug out the carrot, eggplant, pepper and tomato plants today. DH emptied a water barrel and disconnected the hoses. We still have the birdbath to deal with and more cutting back of plants. It is supposed to reach -5C (32F)tonight, which means the sky is very clear and Jupiter is bright in the sky above.

This morning there was lots of "phone ringing off the hook"... and work on the Haiti blog. Soon we get our inoculations.

This evening I worked on two photo books for grandson Skyler. He is up for open heart surgery in early November. Life continues to be busy and full of anxieties as well as pleasures.

Michelle, I hope my artichoke baby survives the winter. Sometimes they do....

Nighty night!
    'bug

Here is a link that might be useful: cardoon

• triple_creek
    12 years ago

Marie I noticed in the picture of Leo at the hospital that Skylar was looking on. I hope Leo showed him how to be brave. I'm guessing Leo's procedure went okay and hoping that Skylar's will too.

I love seeing pictures of the kids falling asleep from exhaustion. They can fall asleep anywhere.

I imagine you are getting excited about your trip. I am excited for you.

Julie I so wish my basement was cleaned up and organized. I was doing a major overhaul on it before spring came and didn't finish, so I just tuned it out of my mind all summer, and rats!, it didn't go away.
    You could gladly have some of my leaves. I love my woods, but the leaves are a pain in the fall. I have to keep them dipped out of the pond too. Speaking of the pond I have been having a blue crane visit. I don't think he has got any fish yet. We are trying to discourage him.

Michelle, How is your mom doing? I enjoyed the picture of you and your sister too. This morning I took my good friend and three of her sisters to catch a bus tour to Nashville. They were having a grand time already, before they were even gone. I don't have a sister but I can imagine the special bond.

Kathy, that was some ending to the game last night. I didn't think the Cards were going to rally this time.
    Even if they don't win tonight they will remember that one.

I still don't have my begonias in the house. They are sitting in the barn waiting to be repotted. I don't have anything major to do tomorrow so maybe it will happen then.

I have ridden Lucky Joey out two times now. We are still ajusting to each other, but even when we have a disagreement he settles right back down, so I have high hopes for him working out. He is a in your pocket type horse. Since I don't know exactly what has been done with him we are basically starting over. Rebel is still not to sure about him and what he is doing with his mom. He is more than a little jealous so I am giving him extra loving.

Sorry to hear of the Idylls up east getting snow already. That stinks. Winter is long enough without getting it before Halloween.

I guess October skies will be over soon so calling all Idyll's in to help close up this thread.

Waving~~~~~ Norma

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

Well, the pop-up greenhouse is ready to go for another year. I still need to get the seedling heat mats out, and set up a table of sorts in there. We could get into the high 30�s over night in the middle of next week, so I may move some of the really tender succulents in there in a couple of days.

Our poor NE friends sure got hammered by this storm. For the non-FB�s , Deanne, Sue and Saucy have no power , Les and Monique have power but all sustained major tree damage. Monique thinks her beautiful Heptacodium is a goner. I wonder what this will do to the NE fall foliage season ? Can�t be good. Ok, back out. Got a couple of grasses to plant..

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

We enjoyed a beautiful fall day yesterday. I took Kenzie to a nature center that is near where she lives. We hiked in the woods and she had fun looking for leaves. There were also some neat interactive activities for kids. I was impressed with the fall decor of the lodge. They used a lot of garden or nature type items to create some really cool displays. We also dug the carrots, cleaned out her garden shed and carved her pumpkin. When Kenzie is around I don't get a lot of garden work done. So there is quite a lot of garden clean up to do yet.

The weather in the NE sounds dreadful. Hard to believe its still October.

Norma, thanks for asking about my mom. She ended up back in the hospital this week but has again returned home. She seems to be doing much better. We went down there this afternoon and took Kenzie along. My parents enjoy her so much.

'bug, I've never thought about my cardoons overwintering. I've been growing them for a few years as I love their boldness. I have one that is around 6' across.

I have a new addiction (like I needed that) Pintrest website. Just pictures of everything. You can save them on your own boards and sort any way you want. There are lots of cool ideas there from food to fashion to decorating to gardening and much more.

I'd best wrap this up as DH is coming in with my Sunday evening popcorn.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Last night I made some game boards for the school in Haiti that I'll have laminated tomorrow. We had some posters and other items laminated yesterday. This is one expensive trip!
    Today we made a book of the Haitian pen pals for the Mennonite school kids. I'm sorry we can't have Canadian photos to return to them.

This morning we added 2 carry-on bags and 4 checked bags to our tickets. This costs us over $300. Geez.

Tree damage is heartbreaking and I feel for our East coast friends!!!

Today I heard from my close friend that her sister died. They were especially close and the sister was in very good health until she had a brain stem stroke.(which meant that she could only move her eyelids) This is an especially hard loss. They were traveling together at the time.

Norma, this from DD:
    Skyler was fine with Leo's surgery, but very obviously not used to allowing someone else be the focus of the doctor's attention at the hospital. He kept trying to be the focus of the nurses and we frequently had to remind him that he was not the patient, he was there as support. No he could not sit on the gurney (toddler sized), no he was not getting cream for the needle he wasn't going to have. No, they were asking about Leo, not him. A bit more than a little frustrating for me (and dad), but a good lesson none the less.

He has been saying that he hopes that his surgery will be before Christmas, but I think that that is a defense mechanism based on the fact that he has seen a list of questions about heart surgery on his mom's desk, and everyone refuses to tell him when it is. Being told it will likely be before Christmas somehow makes it more real and he doesn't like that idea. I think it's better than suddenly telling him he's having heart surgery "next week".

(Leo was just fine!)

Tomorrow I see Dr #1. Then on Tuesday, Dr #2....How to "waste" several full days when I have so much to do.... Then on Tuesday Kiara the cat returns to her home.

I'll be glad to see this financial month pass. What an expensive time of year it has been!

Enjoy the sun...if you find it!
    'bug

• jak1
    12 years ago

Hey, where did my post from this morning go??!!

Mind you, the phone rang and I dropped the mouse as I was hitting "submit". Wasn't much anyway, just the Knock Knock is anybody home thing, and a few bits and bobs about life in general.

I hope all are hanging in there, especially our friends on the East coast: you guys got hammered (and not in the good way either *LOL*)

Cheers,

Julie

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

Weather is unsettled here, but nice temps during the . Very high winds today, blowing from an unusual direction, and semi-warm . My umbrella (closed mind you ) fell over, as did some plants in containers , and my lovingly erected pop up greenhouse flew about 20 feet, and was in it�s side in the back yard ! So I hastily folded it up til the wind subsides. I never had a problem all winter last year- if a storm was coming in I created wind breaks around it with my 55 gal yard waste and recycle toters. Tomorrow I�ll re-erect after the awfice.

All else is quiet here, I spent an hour helping DS with his lines for another part he is understudying for in �Annie� and am fixing to pour over some old garden magazines before bedtime.

Waves !

Kathy in Napa

• triple_creek
    12 years ago

Good morning Idylls,
    A fairly warm day on tap here but cloudy. I will be getting some more leaves up and trying to finish up some other outdoor tasks as I think we are running out of decent weather.
    Joey will be leaving to go to the trainers for 30 days this evening. I feel like a traitor sending him away so soon but he needs a refresher course after not being ridden for sometime. The good thing is he will only be six miles away and on my way to town so I can check in on him whenever I want.
    Niki was full of beans this morning when she came in. She tried her best to get someone to play chase with her and was flipping her toy mouse all over the place.
    Still haven't had a frost here but a friend a few miles away said he has had two already and everything is black .
    I have a patch of orange cosmos that came up after I pulled the first batch out blooming nicely. And the Senorita Rosalita cleomes are still going strong. You just can't beat those for all summer bloom.

Bob is pushing me to get started on the day so here I go.
    Have a good one all. Norma

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Today was a perfect weather day, sunny with a nice breeze and about 62F. I cut back a few things in the garden and could use about 10 more days like this to finish up!(won't happen)

Phoebe was feeling lousy because she had swallowed lots of burrs after a long walk yesterday. These bothered her throat and she was gagging periodically. I tried soothing things with butter, but no, the vet said to give her bread and a single uncoated aspirin. And now things seem better!

Monday poor DS lost his cellphone in the big city with all his important phone numbers. He's miserable for letting some people down, but it could not be helped. Cellphones are vital in Haiti to accomplish anything there. On a more positive front, the school is approaching it's goal of "one laptop per child and teacher." Even with breakage in transit, they have about 50 laptops for 6 teachers and 60 students who come on a regular basis.

Today I received some Creole books in the mail and had fun looking them over. I'm eager for Skyler's books to arrive as well. He was just told after trick or treating (at last!) about his surgery on the 10th. I think his parents and DD are all worried in different ways. My hope is that the surgery will make him stronger physically than he ever has been.

Oh! And a surprise today. A friend who painted a landscape on our property has printed the final product on the invitations to a competition at our Center for the Arts. Each year there is a competition in his wife's name. And the painting is lovely too!We are touched.

Today another friend dropped by the farm to have a walk-about. I dug up some iris for her to take home to her garden. I hope to get more clean-up done tomorrow while DH is off to the big city for meetings.

I hope power is returning to our east coast friends.
    'bug
    ROARRR!
    {{gwi:183103}}

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

Will we be able to see an image of the painting of the farm 'bug ? Good vibes out to Skylar ..

Deanne got her power back at 5:30ish her time this afternoon. Sue is still out, but her ex who only lives a couple miles away has gotten his power back. Hopefully Sue will not be far behind !

Norma, hope that Joeys 'boarding school' stint is productive.

Chelone ? Yooo-hooo ?

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

We had another lovely day here. I cleaned up Kenzie's garden. Too bad it gets dark so early these days and after this weekend I will have very little time after work. There are no days off in my future as one of the gals in the office quit. This was DQII (drama queen that is) The woman who does our accounting and I have worked together for 15 years and are so much alike. We would love to clone ourselves for the other office workers.

I continue to clean and organize the garden shed. For some reason DH likes to leave little gifts in the shed for me. Usually things he thinks I might want to store in there but I really don't. I will need to haul some of the treasures to the barn. There's lots of room there. I also store all my garden furniture in there. I keep all the pots and urns in my shed so things need to be in order to fit it all in.

Cute Leo and poor Phoebe!

Kenzie made a statement about burs - their easy to get on you but hard to get off. The truth for sure. I can't imagine eating them though.

We have had a number of nights where it got down around 25. So things are going down hill in the garden. Although, there is still some bright spots with reds, yellows and oranges. The potager is nearly cleaned out except the front curved rows of purple kohlrabi and the Redbor Kale behind it. This looks great yet. The cardoons and allysum are about the only other annuals left. Allysum may be pretty ordinary but it looks fabulous. Another plant that has really turned pretty this fall is the sedum October Daphne. I don't recall it looking this pretty in the past. I am quite pleased with the entry garden and believe it may be the best fall garden yet. It really is hard to let it all go and think of winter.

On Saturday I think I will need to come up with some fall arrangements for the pillars. Fingers are crossed for a nice day to get lots of cleanup done.

Later

Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

We will get into the mid 30's tonight, and freezing tomorrow. I have resisted turning on the heat in the house til tonight ! I always like to try to make it to Nov 1st, lol.I moved a bunch of plants under protection or into the house when I got home tonight; have not had time to re-assemble the greenhouse, but it will be task #1 on the weekend list. I will go see DS's play this weekend as well.

It will be mighty dark after next weekend Michelle. The only up-side is that it will at least be light when I go to work for a couple of weeks. Sure is pitch black at 6:30 am right now !

Night all...

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Good grief, my message vanished! I even saw it here earlier.

The painting of our place can be seen on the site below under EVENTS.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carroll Creek

• triple_creek
    12 years ago

Nice day on tap here today Michelle. I plan to make good use of it. I understand about needing to keep the garden shed organized to make things fit. Mine tends to get lots of stuff just dumped in there during the summer and needs a major straighting up. I hope you find someone suitable to repace The drama queen II soon.

Bug That is your creek in the painting right?

Woody you have 'nt posted for a bit. Is everything ok there?

Kathy reassembling the greenhouse should be a snap the second time around right? LOL

Original Author
    12 years ago

Norma - we've both been battling flu here this week - we're recovering but still very tired... I've been reading along here but too apathetic to post :-)

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Today we managed (with great difficulty) to extract the dock from the pond. I left the men up to that job. Let me just say that both of them landed on their behinds several times and that DH had to change out of wet clothes afterwards. Perhaps not a job for 70 year olds....

Tonight we go to an event at Ontario's only covered bridge. (Yes, they're hoping to build gravel pits all around it...) I have been searching for something to wear and now fully realize I've been a farm 'girl' for so long that I have no dress clothes at all. Not even shoes. Well, I scrounged up some decent grey pants and a grey top and some bright red sandals. Maybe no one will notice me... DH got his hair cut this morning for the occasion.

I put in our order for prescriptions and they hope to have what we need by Wednesday. I'm glad to have this organized early.

DS phoned from Haiti last night and we spoke to his assistant "Junior" in French and English both and muddled through that! So much needs work at the school but lots is changing for the better, though very slowly.

Skyler has a cough so we aren't sure if his surgery will be next week or next month. DD is relieved that the surgeon is in agreement with her research, a big relief.

It is a beautiful but chilly day here. I hope your day is lovely as well!
    'bug

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Anyone know if Chelone is without power?

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

'bug, I haven't heard anything about Maine being affected by the outages. Sues power came back on Friday, and she was the last one I know of who was still out. I'll snd a message to Saucy via FB and see if shes heard from Chelone...

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

The gardens are now finally (mostly) cut back. Next comes caging. It is raining now however. Sadly, lots of evidence of voles/moles as well as skunks. UGH!

The meds for travel are also mostly gathered and tomorrow we get more inoculations.

Thursday's open heart surgery has been delayed because the hospital is filled with emergencies and so the "elective" surgeries are postponed. DSIL will be notified the night before DGS will have the procedure done.

Sunday my brother had a heart attack. Fortunately he figured out on his own what was happening and went to the nearest hospital where a stint was inserted to clear blockage. It is very bizarre because his diet is amazingly good, being almost vegan. Mystery of life. In any case he sounds good on the phone.

Yesterday I had a nice chat with a friend about perhaps starting a resource center in Haiti at DS's school. She has an excellent approach too.

This afternoon we'll take Phoebe to visit a new groomer. Cross your fingers for us!

Woody, I hope the flu has flown!
    'bug

Original Author
    12 years ago

gb - the flu has largely passed now -but I'm still more tired than usual. Randy is back to being pretty perky :-)

Too bad about Skyler's surgery deferral! Getting psyched-up for something like that only to have it delayed to an indefinite time would be an additional element of stress that would not be welcome! All the shots etc. for the trip to Haiti would be pretty intimidating. My family doctor is there at the moment. He's associated with some childrens' hospital there and seems to spend a week or more there almost every month.

There will be no issue of overlap between Phoebe's stay and Blue's - we just found out yesterday that Blue's owners won't be heading to their Mexico condo until January. Blue will be here fro Jan. 17-Feb. 28th.

While I was under the weather recently, I finished a sweater for Randy. Given that the previous two I've made him took years(!) to finish, I decided that I needed to use heavy yarn and fat needles if I was going to be able to finish one in a reasonable time! So, in mid-September I bought Lopi wool and dug out my Nordic-style pattern books from years ago. It only took me 2 months to make this one - it used to only take a few weeks to make one of these, so I'm still slow but it's a big improvement from needing years to complete a sweater! Next up (maybe!) is a matching hat and socks (Randy loves hand-knit socks...)
    {{gwi:183107}}

We've had an unusually mild October and so far this month. For the first time, there's been noticeable pink color on the heptacodium calyxes - but nowhere near as colorful as in the pictures Monique has posted of theirs.

{{gwi:183108}}

{{gwi:183109}}

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Love the resigned look on Randy's face! I rather agree. I much prefer taking photos to being photographed. ;)

Yes, the delay for the surgery is a pain, but at least the original date forced his parents to discuss the fact he was having surgery soon! He's been asking lots of questions and that is good!

• triple_creek
    12 years ago

Brrrr, cold weather arrived today. There is sure to be a hard frost tonite, so I glanced out the windows often today while cleaning house to see the last of the flowers.
    This is pretty late for a first frost.
    I wanted to get the house done so I could start trimming up limbs on some of my trails that were okay for walking but not high enough for horseback. We have had several inches of rain the last two days so it is good to get some back in the ground.

Woody I would never have the patience to knit a sweater. It's nice that Randy appreciates your hard work. It looks great.

I hope they don't have to wait to long for Skylar's surgery. It just keeps things on hold while waiting.
    Do you leave for Haiti soon Bug?

Wish there was something exciting to write about but nothings happening here. Just wanted to say hi.

Norma

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

Saucy has no news to report of Chelone as of yet, though she did comment that Chelone is an excellent �pioneer woman� and would likely be stoic in power outage situations�I had to agree ! I do recall that she dislikes fall ,and might be laying low til the funk passes.

Woody, that sweater is a beauty ! You and �bug both have my admiration for your knitting skills. Did I mention that Monique thinks it likely that she lost one of her Heptacodiums in the storm ? Such a shame.

We have already had frost herer Norma, but no damage yet. It seems to just settle on the roofs so far. My Dahlias haven�t slimed up yet , and neither has the basil�though I didn�t look at the basil today, it was 32 when I got up this morning. Because my garden is small, and has fences on both sides, and a 2 story house in it�s midst , the early frosts don�t seem to do much damage unless it gets into the 20�s. We have rain coming in for the next few days, so no frost til that clears out.

�bug, sorry to hear of your brothers heart issue; my late DH had a similar situation a couoke years before he passed away-drove himself to the hospital and then called me at the awfice to tell me he was there, and was having a stint put in. He recovered nicely from that; it was the cancer that got him in the end.

OK , all for me tonight �

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Ending this thread with our first real snowfall. Snow is in the trees and on the ground. The sun is out and I expect it all to melt...and then rain is expected.

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Snow is melting...
    on the hellebores...
    {{gwi:183111}}

beyond the patio...
    {{gwi:183113}}

Near the "woods"...
    {{gwi:183114}}

Packing for Haiti...
    {{gwi:183115}}

And a Haitian Quilt from an exhibit (New England Quilt Museum):
    {{gwi:183116}}

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

Only one day off this week, and tried to make the most of it. I re-erected my pop up greenhouse after the windstorm of last weekend laid it low. It was dry and warmish today so I had to get while the gettin was good. It can be tricky in fall, the daytime temps can get pretty warm which is not the best scenario for a greenhouse. I moved quite a few things in there but left the fuchsias out. They will go in when the next frost is expected. Looks like we will stay in the 40's overnight for the next several days.

Such an appropriate tydall Norma ! I find my self hunkering down in Nov, especially after the time change.

Beautiful quilt 'bug. Wish I had the patience. And the snow !

All for me tonight, work tomorrow.

Kathy in Napa

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?