Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

Early October at the Farm

gardenbug
17 years ago

We've had much rain and wet to deal with, but if I look closely with the camera, there is still beauty to be found.

Sedum Frosty Morn-

{{gwi:183131}}

Geranium 'Okey Dokey'

{{gwi:183132}}

Clematios Ternifolia

{{gwi:183133}}

Agastache

{{gwi:183134}}

Fall anemones. Queen Charlotte.

{{gwi:183135}}

Honorine Jobert

{{gwi:183136}}

Pamina

{{gwi:183137}}

Coreopsis Moonbeam is still in bloom.

{{gwi:183138}}

Tiger Eye Sumac is changing colour.

{{gwi:183140}}

Tricyrtis delights-

{{gwi:183142}}

And a large yellow tricrtis whose name I've forgotten...

{{gwi:183144}}

Nevertherless, it is all a bit on the melancholy side. Planting bulbs will be my therapy!

Comments (15)

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Bravo Marie!!! I can't believe how much you still have blooming. Just about the only color left here are the annuals. Your anemonies are out of this world. I really have to find a place for Honorine Jobert again. So beautiful! I really am loving the look of that Tiger Eye and am thinking of finding a spot for one. I'll see how well behaved yours stays.

Deanne

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Just wonderful! You have so much blooming and several are plants that I'm not growing. I need anemones and is that the Agastache rupestris you mentioned on the perennials forum? I checked on line and it appears that it can easily be grown from seed. I think I need that too. What an enabler you are ;o)

Michelle

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

You have found lots of beauty to share! Thank you ! I espacially love the Agastache. Is it hardy? When do Tricyrtis come on the market? and what form are they sold...roots or plants? The Anemones are lovely too. I've never grown the fall ones.
    I have been touring our pitiful yard looking for beauty, but finding little. The biggest surprise is the hardy Cyclamen. I set out a cormlike tuber this spring, that I had bought at Wal Mart. Having never grown one, I didn't know what to expect. When nothing ever showed up ( and I dug up the corm a couple of times to see what it was doing ) I finally gave up on it. Lo and behold, a couple of days ago I walked around the house and there it was! One lovely leaf, one open bloom, and more coming on !

Marian

• just_t
    17 years ago

You still have lots of beauty surrounding you, Marie. Thank you for sharing it with us. :)

T.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well Marian, the agastache has been a real treat this year. This one is Agastache rupestris I believe. I have tried others that did not make it through the winter, but this one has not only returned but thrived. It has been blooming for weeks and weeks. It has a wonderful scent too if you brush against it. I am fond of plants like this whose blooms are above the foliage. Here's a shot of it taken by Deanne during her visit in mid September.
    {{gwi:183146}}

The tricyrtis and Japanese anemones come on the market in late summer here. It is best to research them a bit. Some of the anemones flop, some of the tricyrtis have recently been discovered to carry a virus.

The cyclamen are odd things aren't they? I love their foliage. I've grown some from seed too which was an interesting project. There's a good cyclamen forum at GB where people are kind, knowledgeable and helpful. I don't know a lot about them but I do know there are several varieties. You could probaly grow several kinds where you live.

Thank you for the kind comments everyone!

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Beautiful Marie! Thanks. I really enjoyed going through these pics. We can never have enough color in our gardens in October can we? You have some real autumn beauties there!

Eden

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Wow! That is a gorgeous agastache!

I looked up hardy cyclamen in my gardening encyclopedia. It says they are best grown from seed.

Yes, I have seen the Cyclamen forum on GB. They are very knowledgeable. I was rather lost with the terminology that they use. I may look into it more. It may be an answer to what will grow well here.

Thanks, Marian

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Great pics Marie ! I am interested in Geranium Okey Dokey-looks like it has bronzey foliage ? Geraniums are yet another plant I collect.
    Your Queen Charlotte looks great ! It's pretty invasive here so I've had to rip most of mine out..
    Kathy in the Napa Valley

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well Kathy, Okey Dokey has very dark purple foliage and blue/purple flowers- a fun combination. It is a smallish plant, about 14" high and wide.

I find the Queen Charlotte anemones less far-spreading than other varieties. They are more of a clump former. But certainly, all the Fall anemones love to expand by their roots. I'd be cautious about saying "invasive" though, because that implies that it prevents other plants from growing and also takes over the world. It colonizes, but does not appear all over the garden because it does not spread by seed.
    They do return late in the season, for me in early summer, so many folks think their plants have died. My plants did nothing for 2-3 years and then, BOOM!
    Take a look at the site below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spreader?

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Yes Bug, that is a point well taken- the spreading vs invasive. Queen Charlotte is in fact easy to pull up and control;however since my ground does not freeze here I am pulling it up all year ! I love to use it as a cut flower and ever the seed head is very cool.
    Kathy in Napa

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Wonderful GB! The agastache has such a rich color, maybe helped by the cooler temps. I have mixed feelings about Queen Charlotte, not because of spreading but because the double heads are so heavy it flops a lot. However, this year I staked early and it is blooming next to a Van Houttii salvia and I'm enjoying it more than ever. It has a wonderfully long bloom period. Now if there were a "Clousseau" flower it would be given pride of place LOL!

Mary

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mary, DOG'S TOOTH VIOLET- ERYTHRONIUM DENS CANIS?

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Well Marie, it certainly looks like you're still awash in color up there. It looks great! All fall anemones flop for me although Honorine has remained somewhat upright so far this year. Do you know the name of that yellow tricyrtis? I think I've got one of the virused varieties but if I hadn't seen the pictures on the discussion forum I never would have known it was a virus. The flowers just look more variable. Until I hear more though I'm not going to pull it out.

Sue

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sue, I believe it is T. macrantha ssp macranthopsis. I bought it last year and it needs to develop a bit more before it stands out, but as you see, the blooms are really large.

Another yellow Tricyrtis people like is T.'Moonlight treasure'. This one is quite compact.

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

What a lovely walk I had this a.m. Beautiful pictures Bug. You have three of my favorite Anemones...they're the stars of my fall garden and kind of addicting because they always looks so handsome in foliage and in flower. I love Whirlwind too and a couple of years ago I bought Party Girl & Margarete...you might want to check them out! ;-)

You must be the "Butterfly Whisperer" Bug. How do you always manage to find the butterflies that complement your flowers so well...LOL?!! The monarch matching the eyes of you butterfly bush and now this little guy...see how his veining and the little dots in his wings echo the color of your Sedum's flowers! :-)

That is a *beautiful* Agastache and I love the color. I'm going to have to try that one. The only Agastaches that seem to thrive for me are 'Blue Fortune' and 'Golden Jubilee'. I would love that color out front.

Thanks again for sharing Bug...You are a wonderful photographer! Would love to see the flowers of that yellow Tricyrtis when they open up...I've never seen a yellow one.

Ei