Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_zone4

A visit to Dallas (photo heavy)

michelle_zone4
18 years ago

I thought I'd share a few pics. These are from the Dallas Arboretum.

This is me with my sister and aunt at the entrance to the "Woman's Garden"

{{gwi:183252}}

{{gwi:183254}}

I thought the walled garden was lovely:

{{gwi:183256}}

I fell in love with this adorable children's cottage. I would love to have it for Kenzie's garden. Don't you just love the real thatched roof?

{{gwi:183257}}

Kenzie would like a water feature like this one:

{{gwi:183258}}

High Five interexchange on LBJ expressway. Notice the colored concrete to make it more attractive:

{{gwi:183259}}

OKC Memorial:

{{gwi:183260}}

{{gwi:183261}}

I wasn't sure if this would work or not. I uploaded my pictures to Walmart to print them. They allow you to store them for 2 months. So I am linking to that album.

Comments (10)

• Full_Bloom
    18 years ago

Man Michelle...your family must have been standing at the front of the line when they were passing out the "good looking" genes...what a beautiful bunch you are!

I'm in love with that cottage too. I wish I could supersize it and move right in! :-) The walled garden *is* lovely. I always say I don't care for topiary...I've seen too many green meatballs on sticks...but your pics show how beautiful topiary *can* be when done right...They seem to know how to do it right in Europe too! :-) Wish I had the talent to turn an evergreen into art...it must be a lot of fun!

I've never seen the OKC Memorial either, such a sad moment in time, but the memorial is lovely and a beautiful rememberance...thanks for sharing! Ei

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

My grandfather had a large walled garden. That would be a dream for me....
    I like froggie too!
    We've had more than our share of handsome memorials in this lifetime. They sure make one pensive. It is good to honour people.

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Hi Michelle, that's such a nice picture of you and your sis and aunt. It looks like you had a beautiful day to tour the arboretum. I love the walled garden and the little cottage. I made two spiral topiaries a few years ago and after a couple of years just when they were filling in and starting to look really nice someone stole them both. And they were in pretty big pots so they were heavy. It still bums me out when I think about it. Anyway, thanks for sharing your pictures. What a nice trip you had. I hadn't seen the memorial so thanks for those pics too.

Eden

• martieinct
    18 years ago

The pictures are wonderful and you all look so happy. If Kenzie gets her cottage, may I be her first house guest?? LOL

The OKC Memorial pic is the best I've seen to capture the feeling standing there.

I've loved doing little topiary for years but haven't yet tried anything big. Just got a book that speaks to starting a spiral tope and may have to try it. Do you remember what the bluish blooming plants were??

Martie

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

What a lovely trip! But where is the little cheerleader? In your heart for sure, since you wanted to take it all home to her :) Thanks for sharing those Michelle, and nice to see more of your good looking family.

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Michelle, thanks so much for sharing your trip with us. I love the pic you and family. That garden looks so beautiful. I love the reflecting pool and that thatched cottage is just darling.

My DS lives in OKC and was supposed to go to the Federal Building the day of the tragedy. I'm lucky she had a cold that day. She never goes to the memorial. I guess it is just too close to the bone, so to speak.

Deanne

• Mary_NY6
    18 years ago

Hi Michelle

What fun to see more of your family and such great pictures. The thatched cottage makes me feel as if I'm back in England! I'm rather short, maybe I wouldn't even need it supersized. The walled garden is indeed lovely - I would never have guessed Dallas if you were to ask where we thought it was. Thank you for sharing your trip.

Mary

PS - Eden - how rotten to have your topiaries stolen.

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Glad you liked the pictures.

Eden, I agree with Mary about your topiaries, how rotten.

Deanne, your DS was very fortunate. I can see why she doesn't go to the memorial. It is a tear jerker.

Mary, I did think of you when I saw the cottage. I thought it looked very English.

Ei, you are so sweet.

Martie, thanks about the OKC Memorial pic. I was really struck by the way the sun rays are coming down in the pic. Sorry but I don't know what the blue flowers are. Possibly a catmint.

Cynthia, that little cheerleader has sure wormed her way into my heart, thats for sure.

Thanks again for looking
    Michelle

• just_t
    18 years ago

Michelle, what great photos these are, thank you for sharing a portion of your trip with us. I have always been intrigued by walled gardens and topiaries so those photos needed extra examination. :o)

The cottage & the frog fountain are great as is the pool of water. I enjoyed every photo. Thank you.

Teresa

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Thanks for sharing these pictures, Michelle. It's always so much fun to travel through the lenses of other idyllers, especially to places I may never get to myself.

Sue

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County