Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saucydog_gw

Idyll # 459 Fall Clean Up Time!

saucydog
14 years ago

I'm going to be bold and declare it Fall clean up time! Except for the West Coasters who can feel free to plant for the cool season :)

I'm working on the last mow of the season and making some hot compost. Time to think about decorations for the season.

What are you up to in the garden?

Comments (101)

• chelone
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Push, pulls, and ovals... ahh the Palmer Method. Mrs. Penny and Mrs. Simard were excellent teachers and I found penmanship really easy. We used ball point pens, but as soon as Santa put a cartridge pen in my stocking I used that nearly all the time. I loved being able to change the color of the ink. :)

The chenille slipcover was delivered and it fits very nicely. I'm pleased with the result and would even have put it in my own living room, so that says something. :)

Ah, Brenda, the year of "firsts" is the pits. It's hard to face the fact that someone you love isn't around anymore, it's just plain hard. But it gets easier. I think of my friend, dead now 16 yrs. every time I look at the ruffley orange Hemerocallis, the Sibirian iris, and frilly patch of Narcissus that began as one lone bulb in the daylily divisions. And I hope the new Viburum will bring a smile for my newly deceased HS friend. Sucks to be sad. I won't beat you up too badly if you post nursery pictures, as long you exercise some restraint. ;)

Has Kenzie gotten into the habit of coiffing her own hair? seems to me she's done that before. I like the tidy little bob thing she's got goin'. How many vegetable farmers do you have to "supervise", Michelle? Hang in there.

Bates College in Lewiston has reported that roughly 15% of the student body is reporting flu like symptoms and they've already had a number of Swine flu cases. So, lets all cover our noses and mouths when we cough or sneeze, keep our finger out of our noses and eyes, sing a round of Happy Birthday as we properly and thoroughly wash out hands up and over the wrists. A one and a two and a...

OK, gotta go to my own little slice of chaos now.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Of course I thought of you Kaveh as I checked out the Mendocino posts.... :)

'bug

• ctlavluvr
    14 years ago

Having always been a printer as a direct result of not adhering to the exact shapes above the blackboard, here's to those who are noncompliant!!!! LOL Somehow my 3rd grade teacher thought that making me print would make me conform. Fat Chance!!!

Marie, not only does my brother remember Charlotte, and know she's passed, he keeps the pic of her with the "snow nose" in his locker. I showed him pics of Phoebe as a pup and his response was "she's one lucky dog." I agree :-)

Oreganos never hooked me like lavs, except the ones I wasn't supposed to be able to grow, of course. At one point trialed an O crawler that had literal blackish leaves and was supposed to be culinary. In food it looked like dried up ants and the hybrider gave up.

Your gals are lovely, Eden. All that reading Bella has done to animals is paying off! Love the book selection for the time of year.

Running today -- a good thing -- and am meeting with a chimney cleaning company owner as well as a fast food franchisee then a major medical facility. Gotta love diversity!

Best to all - Martie

• saucydog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sarah was sitting with me last night as Bella's mini Halloween garden was revealed and she exclaimed, "that is cool, how did they do that?" So I may have to help her start collecting minute things for her own garden :)

Michelle, I hope things ease up at work soon. Supervising is no fun (for me).

V., our entire High School is out with "flu-like" symptoms. We made the local news last night with so many absent. My fingers are crossed for Jake and especially Sarah. With her newly diagnosed asthma, I worry for her. She seems already compromised.

V., I'd hire you in a heartbeat....and you know, the last person worked remotely ....so conceiveably.....

Brenda, I still have a couple of plants to plant. I'd really like to finish that up today. Maybe I'll grab some bulbs too.

That's about all from me this morning. I'm going to come home early today and play outside...at least that is the plan.

Saucy

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

OK, DH has left for a Toronto meeting, then must return for his class later this afternoon.

I have various errands to run later on, including buying the first new Book Club read. This annoys me because it is a hardback book only so far, and because it is over 400 pages and because it costs $30.

This Fall I only purchased one bag of bulbs...on sale at the grocery store: 25 narcissus for $4. Looks like Sunday will be the first day, in terms of weather, that I'll be able to plant them.

Martie, Phoebe has one downfall, she lies. She told me that DH had not fed her this morning and that was simply not true! She has also taken to barking since her wild activity has been reduced. She looks like a woolly mammoth these days with her winter coat.

I was a product of Palmer Penmanship. I converted to French style writing when schooled there (sort of grade 3) and used ink pens, but reverted when I returned to Buffalo. My sister resisted and still writes in the French way. DH printed in true engineer fashion until he reached grad school. Too bad too, because his writing is illegible and his printing handsome.

Managed to finish knitting Ivy's sweater last night and it is being set to shape on the ironing board today. My main concern is the neck opening which I enlarged, but still appears small to me.

Off to start the day, again!
    'bug

• jak1
    14 years ago

Kaveh!!! Long time no see! (I'm jak 4 on the other site). Thanks for stopping by; I remember your stint in California - it was great entertainment!

Bullying - well, our school is excellent in managing this but as Chelone so aptly pointed out, kids can be mean and are not always in school. PCS is basically o.k., he is small and not the most mature for his age and is a little over sensitive to some things. He does open up to us, and we have not intervened. We have discussed options for handling situations and were pleased that he asked another child to join his group in the playground when some children were being especially unkind.

Penmanship, yes, I remember when we had printing books and writing books and time was devoted to that each day. That no longer happens - some rudimentary instruction is given and if the product is even halfway legible, it is accepted. PCS has never held the pencil properly and has had specific intervention since jk - this is now five years of attempting to correct his grip, OT on a monthly basis this year, all kinds of different pencils and added grips, to no avail. I insist that work he does at home be legible, and it takes him forever. So a half hour of homework takes an hour and a half, 30 minutes of whining and procastination (*LOL* some of it mine!), and an hour to laboriously get the work down on paper. To compound this, PCS doesn't get his work at school completed so it is sent home along with the regular homework and thus he has more to do than many of his peers. He is seven years old.

One more comment" Eden's basement! Zowie! I might take a photo of mine to illustrate the concept of opposite-ness.

BTW - out of commission for a few days as the Computer is going to the hospital for a check-up. Not behaving properly.

Cheers, all!

Julie

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Can I whine a little bit? It's cold and it's pouring rain and it would be a great night to curl up with a book and a fire, but I have to go to a work-related dinner meeting over an hour away. Mommy, I don wanna go!!!

OK, I feel better now.

But I do need to go :(

V.

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Cold, rainy and windy once again. It seems like its rained the whole month of October.

I'm not buying any bulbs this year, its just too wet.

Interesting day, after five weeks of training, my trainee up and quit today. It was for the best for all. Back to the drawing board with an interview for tomorrow morning. So Chelone I'm down to one underling, who has survived for 7 months now.

DH is off to sleep at the sleep clinic tonight. I made a pot of chicken and wild rice soup tonight since I feel a slight sore throat coming on. I went to the garden to dig a few carrots for it, they were pure mud.

I'm off to work on the new living room drapes.

Michelle

• chelone
    14 years ago

Here's hopin' the sore throat is not a harbinger of worse to come. Chicken soup sounds good to me. And you could always try my boss' technique for employee management: when you're feeling stressed keep ALL information that could be used to help you to yourself. Add a little dollop of sarcasm to everything you ask your employee to do over the course of the day. ;) Bummer about your carrots; the helpmeet brought one in the other day that looked like a set of legs... we called it Yosemite Sam. And promptly ate it.

I hope the dreaded dinner meeting was uneventful. I don't blame you for whining, I'd hate to roust myself out of a nice, warm house to go to one, too. Esp. given the present environment at work. Kick the dog, works for me.

I have quite a collection of paint to go to either the recycling day tomorrow or out to the kerb on Monday (after I add dryer to it). It will barely make a dent in the accumulated crap in the board room, but the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step and if I hope to emulate Eden's cellar I have many steps to go... . It's been extremely entertaining for the cats who can't believe their good fortune to have Mummy hanging out in one of their favorite rooms!

I was thinking about how much energy and effort it requires to be a little kid. Every day there's something new you're asked to learn, practice, do. And when it gets a bit overwhelming you're asked to take a deep breath and try even harder. Exploding or collapsing under the weight of it all is frowned on. It sure ain't easy. And, from experience, when you're a kid who is in the company of adults alot of the time you often end up scratching your head at how mean/destructive your playmates can be and how many really dumb rules there are to try to thwart that sort of thing. I used to particularly seethe at "group punishments", one kid is a dink and the whole class pays the price, that sort of thing. They sure are resilient and they sure do put in a long day. :)

I'm glad it's Friday. I've had enough "thinly veiled contempt" and sarcasm for the week, thanks. It's time to call it a week, return to the Compound and decompress with my mess. Let's see, how many hours until it's over?

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

It is a rainy windy day here at the farm and the leaves that I so carefully mowed to the side of the laneway yesterday are now strewn about. Phoebe is excited by the blowing leaves and parks herself by the windows for much of the time. We have had two walks this morning and "HEAL" is harder and harder to enforce when she feels the need for greater exercise. She does not think it is all for the best.

It is a good day for hot soup, and fortunately there is some left from Monday's book club dinner for my lunch. I think this afternoon I will take V's advice and knit or read by the fire...and officially declare it TGIF. Here is the sweater (for Ivy) that I completed the other day.

{{gwi:183484}}

I picked up the book club read yesterday and it seems appropriate for the season, a ghost story. I hope to attack it this weekend. (The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters) We also have one of our environmental meetings on Sunday and loads of garden cleanup to tend to should there be some dry moments. (raspberries to cut back, verbena bonariensis to remove, shrub caging to begin, Jerusalem artichokes to haul away....)

I have many projects I want to do, some centered around Christmas gifts. This is a very busy season I find, combined with much worry on my mind. A friend describes his outlook in a fine way I think and I thought I'd share.

"In most situations in life (marriage, work, etc), you can only realistically expect 80% to be exactly the way you want it, the other 20% will always be a work in progress. And you have to consciously focus on (and appreciate) the 80% while you work on the 20%. Unfortunately, many people focus on the 20% and take the 80% for granted....and that's where trouble starts. I know it may sound simplistic, but I really believe when you cut to the chase, it's true. So, when I'm miserable at work or find myself worrying about my son on the road to/from school or any of the other things that make up the 20% that isn't perfect, I really make myself focus on how great the 80% is. And I usually feel much better.

I don't believe you should ignore the 20%.....you have to work TOGETHER on those things that aren't right. But work on them through the prism of the 80% that is great. We have this funny little habit....whenever we're fussing over something that isn't what we want it to be (kids, work, whatever), one of us usually looks at the other and says "I love you". We don't do it consciously or in a calculated way, I think it's just our way of reminding ourselves of the 80% when we're working on the 20%.

Happy 80%!
    'bug

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Happy Friday to all - including Kaveh - nice to see you check in -- as a one-time lurker I recall your posts fondly over the years of your various stints at garden locations and your personal garden as well.

Michelle - Im glad to hear the intern quit - better now than in 3 months or something horrible. But Im sure you'd prefer to just hang up that trainer hat entirely -- soup sounds like a great idea for most cooking menus this weekend -- we're to get some rain, chilly temps and back to autumn. We havent had the rainy mush you folks have had and in fact need more moisture to make up for the shortage.

I have ordered bulbs and got some lilies that arrived the other day so I hope to plunk them in at least; the spring bulbs to come shortly - I often dont get them in until about T-giving time, believe it or not.

Kathy -- so sorry to hear of more grim business at your awfice -- the voluntary #s are due to be finalized today; then the involuntary head chopping to happen in a couple weeks -- RIFed or survivor - it's no fun for anyone is it?

Purty sweater - bug - you always make glorious wee garments.

Hey, Chelone -- what is the "dryer" ingredient for old paints? I've got several cans and the slow-dry in the outside is not working very well - I'd love to unload 'em all on the county but they too want it dried before delivery.... let us enjoy our respective R&R time at our abodes this weekend -- Im as excited as going to Europe -- yeeha... down time.

--cindy

• chelone
    14 years ago

I'm home early today. I finished up a big curtain for a local business and two zip on slings for fold up berths on a large sailboat. And when offered the "early release" I jumped at the opportunity. I am definitely an "ant" (think Aesop's fables) and tend to be very organized, regulated, and conservative when it comes to maintaining my work schedule. But since learning of my friend's suicide I've really begun to question the whole point of it. Sure, I could use the pay for the "missed hours", but time is a commodity so precious we too often fail to avail ourselves of it or squander it foolishly. So, today IL'm blowing it off and thinking that being an "ant" is what has gotten me to a point where the hours missed are less important than the opportunity to use them for something that is more important on a deeply personal level.

With respect to 80%, I agree. Even when the sky looks black and menacing I know that coming home will give me a break from it all. I know I'm loved, respected, and when I need to be "taken care of" every member of my family will pitch in and do their share. It may be the baleful eyes imploring me to "go for a walk", throw a tennis ball, or deliver a beating. It may be the little chirp of a certain brown tabby or Doodlekin Boy-boy sprawling on the desktop or across my shoulders, or it may be Bangers and Mash on my dinner plate. Too many people have no such security or fail to appreciate it while fixating on 20%.

'bug, do you use a training collar with Feebles? I know you were using one of those "halters" early on. Maybe it's time to graduate to the training collar. It's extremely effective and it doesn't hurt them a bit when it's put on properly and used correctly. This term of confinement may be the perfect time to introduce it and really knuckle down on the basic "on leash" manners. Funny that this came up because this is the time of year I really like to get out and do some "roadwork" with the Huge One; good for my waistline and good for his "leash manners". The recuperative periods after the surgeries were really hard on Rex, too. So hang in there and put that mind to work by introducing something new to her. I love the sweater! She's a little fashion plate, isn't she?

Wrecking Crew arrives tomorrow night and will spend Sunday with me while their mother attends to some professional obligations. The thought of them sitting in a car waiting for their mistress when I could be assuming my alpha role as doginatrix doesn't seem quite right... . I believe it's important to sieze opportunities when they present themselves.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Yesterday we went in to Toronto to see the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit at the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum) and meet up with Randy's sister (who was in town on business) for a late lunch. The in-laws situation was, of course the main topic of conversation. Julie - yes, we've actually thought of having them move in here if we could get them here. But it's now too late for that. On the 1-7 scale for Alzheimer's, MIL is rated a 6 and rapidly heading for the 7. So, on the assumption she probably has, at most, 2 years left, FIL is becoming the issue since we don't want him out there alone once MIL is not there to provide him motivation to keep active. If at all possible, we want FIL to move in here after MIL passes on. We may also look into whether it would be possible to arrange a transfer for MIL from a nursing home there to one here, but that might prove difficult or impossible at this stage. SIL says FIL now regrets not moving here when we tried to get them to come! Grrr - let us hope we're all more sensible when our time comes to be the focus of such issues!

Randy has been diligently working in the garage on the finishing of the interior. It's looking much better but it's getting darn chilly for working out there. When that is done, the next project will be painting the kitchen - assuming my surgery doesn't throw too big a spanner in the works :-) I've had paint chips taped to the wall in the kitchen for the past 2-3 years but we never got around to choosing one and getting on with it... I now have a lot more sympathy for the owners of those houses you see when house-shopping that have not been redecorated in the last generation or so! I'm begining to feel we've been heading in that direction... :-)

Blue will be keeping us company on Sunday. Misty hasn't had a friend over for a while so she will be particularly happy with that.

gb - cute sweater. And I agree with Chelone that a training collar, if you're not already using it, would be helpful in keeping Phoebe focussed during this frustrating perion of enforced inactivity.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Woody, glad you got to the ROM. That trip to Toronto seems enormous to me...so much planning involved.

Lost my post that responded to Phoebe collars etc. The upshot is that firm repetition and more firm repetition along with time seem to produce the best results. The Gentle Leader wasn't bad when she was little. The collar, which we used for Charlotte, was OK, but Bouviers are so strong and willful that you can lift them off the ground with it and they notice nothing and continue on their way. Phoebe begrudgingly listens to us. But she needs more time with us beating things into her head. Did I say beatings???! DH is a softy with her and that means she gets away with stuff I wouldn't allow. Both she and DH enjoy humour...

Cindy, try this!

• chelone
    14 years ago

I guarantee that no Bouvier will be able to ignore a properly applied "corrective jerk". I suspect you've never been taught how to properly and effectively use a training collar and you're not alone! You have to trust me on this, 'bug. Rex is 100lbs. and I know from whence I speak because he was that weight when we adopted him, completely untrained. (consider that he is GSDxBull Mastiff/maybe Boxer or Pit Full). Our first obedience instructor had a Bouvier. One never uses a training collar to overpower the dog, you use it to redirect the dog's attention and enforce a voice command. One properly administered "corrective jerk" will get any dog's attention, and a second one will likely stop them in their tracks. Learn how to deliver it properly with the necessary voice command, and be amazed. This is how police departments and the Army train their dogs; dogs considerably larger, more powerful, and more naturally "aggressive" in temperament than Bouviers. They work and you already have several lengths advantage because Phoebe listens to you and responds to your voice. Any obedience classses in your area that might prove a pleasant diversion for the enforced leash time?

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Chelone, I know how to use a collar and have been to classes with both dogs. The vet on the other hand ALWAYS returns the dog with the collar reversed. I tell you, it's the husband. I haven't found a collar that works on him.

• chelone
    14 years ago

Sounds like you're screwed 'bug. Bummer!

• chelone
    14 years ago

Woody, you have my sincerest sympathies. I didn't have your own particular issues but I have plenty of ready memories of missed opportunities and several post mortem insights. I'll "spew" intermittently in subsequent posts and you may deal with the "spewage" as you so choose.

Mum steadfastly refused to deal with the likely eventuality that she would require LTC in the years following my father's death ('94). Any mention of "planning", etc. evoked an immediate, "it's NONE of your business!". Ummm, OK. We dealt with the "fear factor", quietly shouldering the worry Mum refused to acknowledge. But the money issues were more ticklish... . On one hand she wanted us to inherit everything seamlessly, on the other hand she wanted to maintain her "independence" until her death. In the USA you can't have both. She never understood, or at least refused to accept that. In the USA it's important to draw a distinct line between the person requiring LTC and surviving family members. The sooner that dreadful thing is done the better! We barely made it in under the falling flag. It was awful. And every single bit of it could have been avoided when my father died! but Mum was completely ignorant of inheritance law and the value of the property she owned and how her unwillingness to transfer it while she lived would make it all easier when she died. In short, we had the added tension of the "last minute scramble" with respect to estate planning to cope with when it was time for Mum to go into LTC.

I know your experience is vastly different than mine was. But the attendant sentiments are the same and of all things, I want you to know how often I think of you and wish you well. How are the headaches? I will think of you this WE as I beat some sense into those stupid Labradors...

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Happy Friday friends, another week of turmoil at the awfice has thankfully closed out, and Im looking forward to what should prove to be a very pleasant weekend , with many chores in the pipeline. Tomorrow I will cut my last Zinnia bouquet of the season and they will be subsequently dispatched to the yard waste, and replaced with a drift of Iceland Poppies, all white this year. Looks like its time to break out the leaf rake too.

Thanks to Kaveh for the nice comments on my Mendo pics- you must be from before my time here on the Idylls . It will interest you to know that MCBG has also moved their nursery/plant sale area to the opposite side of the facility, just to the north of the entry deck; more space and sunnier there too. Maybe youll drop by and see us here once in a while, pacific time is under-represented !

I tried in vain to find a DH Training Collar for bug. What a useful implement that would be ! Ivys sweater looks very suitable for a chilly day in the north, and I also enjoyed DSILs treatise and affirmation of Skylars best attributes. An important encouragement for a child with a foot in two worlds.

Woody, sorry to hear of the worries for you and Randy re FIL etc. What a struggle it must be for FIL to contemplate the future and try to come up with the plan that will give him the best quality of life .

Well Michelle, its probably just as well that the newbie gave up on the job before the job gave up on her. Such a crapshoot when hiring folks from outside the company, there is always that element of unknown .

All for me tonight. I hope to do a short fall foliage drive in the early morning tomorrow to take photos they will be shared of course ..

Nite all !

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

{{gwi:183485}}

ON THE TOILET

(I'm preparing the next volume of photos for Skyler)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Wow-dangerous to miss even a day here! I just skimmed through-so many pictures of beautiful little girls!

Chelone, you always make me laugh when you talk about the Wrecking Crew coming for a visit!

Kathy, I am sorry about your Dodgers. Now, however, I can cheer for the Phillies without feeling guilty.

DS and I have been working on cleaning out the garage and doing some planting. He was laid off a while back, so I told him I would pay him to help me. I thought we were making great progress until DH balked at recycling boxes and boxes of old political science journals. He did agree to donate five boxes of leftover tee shirts from a 20-mile race he directs every year (some dating back to 2003). He was so sure that everything taking up the space (can't even get the cars in now) was either mine or DS's stuff-humph. Lots of parents' furniture is going to the curb for anyone to take. I just want it gone. Anyone want a seven foot tall grandfather clock???? Lovely, but no room. It looks as if we accomplished nothing. How is that possible? Oh well.

BTW, like Skyler, my DS is a lefty, too, and being a special educator, I am always looking for fixes to issues my kiddoes have. Although it won't solve all the issues, an easy thing to help with writing is to angle the paper the opposite direction from the way we righties do. We usually angle it from left to right. Lefties should angle it the other way. Also, there is a program called Handwriting Without Tears. You can google it I think and order the workbooks for left-handed kids. I don't know if his teacher would allow it or if he would like it, but sometimes my fidgety students like to be able to stand to do their work, so we use a music stand as an alternative for them when they want it or they can just stand at their desks. Squeeze balls are good for times when they just need to listen and not be writing. It isn't easy being 10.

Woody, it must be so very hard for your FIL. It isn't easy being old either.

Well, time for sleep. I am sending good thoughts everyone's way. I am trying not to think about returning to school on Monday!

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Or IN BED?

The dinner meeting last night turned out to be quite nice despite my whining. While it was work-related, I was the only representative from my office. It should have been a lovely fall drive down to the restaurant but the weather was windy and rainy, so the fall colors were lost on us. It was nice to be able to carpool with someone local for the long drive there and back.

Today I took a vacation day to go to a luncheon in Chicago for Openlands, a conservation organization. Rick Bayless, the chef, was the featured speaker, and Sen. Dick Durbin showed up to speak as well. I even ran into a couple of customers; I wonder if I can claim it was work and not use the vacation day? Oh well, I had a very nice day!

Chelone, I was MIA when the wrecking crew first started to visit you. Could you recap the details of who they are?

Bug, great comments about the 80/20 split. Now if I just could remember that when the 20% is really annoying me!

Tomorrow we head down to DD's school for a visit. Have a great weekend!

V.

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

I drove to work in snow/rain yuck! I drove home in sunshine though. I spent a little time shopping for brithday presents for Kenzie. One of the things that she wanted was her very own locket with pictures in it. I had shown her mine. I would have liked to given her mine, but the chain is too fine and she just isnt old enough. I found the perfect one for her, pearls on a stretchy string with a locket that has room for 2 nice size pictures, which will be of Rick and I. I also got her some jeans reminscent of the 70s with "love" "peace" hearts and flowers on them, a Little Mermaid and a horse with a girl that can ride it. She is very interested in horses these days.

Kathy, I havent forgotten about your seeds. Im looking forward to your pictures.

bug, the sweater looks like just the thing for cold winter nights in the north.

Julie, it certainly is hard to be a little kid I think you are doing a great job of parenting TCS - not sure what the new acronym stands for so Ill use the old one ;o)

Cyn, I had to laugh about the grandfather clock as I have one that Ive been trying to get rid of for years. The time is nearing I do believe.

Sleep tight and stay warm.

Michelle (anticipating a sunny day tomorrow)

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Making some pumpkin pies today. Also bought some knitting supplies for making Christmas gifts. The weather is ugly, so no garden chores for me! Here are a few shots from this morning:

{{gwi:183486}}

{{gwi:153905}}

{{gwi:183487}}

{{gwi:183488}}

{{gwi:183489}}

Saw a beautiful male pheasant across the road this afternoon. So much prettier than turkeys!
    Waiting for a sunny dry day here...
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Surely is a slow news day around here ! Ive had a productive day outdoors , with the main 2 accomplishments being the removal of an old and unsatisfactory lace cap Hydrangea, and the removal of the Zinnias. And I acquired 2 6-paks of snapdragons. The Hydrangea removal was a bear- hopefully step 2-which is digging up PeeGee from its current location and moving it to this newly created space- wont be quite as difficult.

Things look pretty at the farm bug, though I am happy here with our 70 degree temps this weekend !

Took a brief drive this morning to get some fall pics. I will have to make another trip in a couple of weeks, there is much that has not turned.

These were taken at Franciscan Vineyards, they have done a really nice job with their plantings around the winery to get a nice fall show. {{gwi:183490}}From Napa Valley Fall
    {{gwi:183491}}From Napa Valley Fall

Thought of Michelle when I saw these pillars at the entrance to the tasting room {{gwi:183492}}From Napa Valley Fall
    {{gwi:183494}}From Napa Valley Fall

Waving !

Kathy in Napa

• ctlavluvr
    14 years ago

There's a great glowing orb in the sky and it's bringing warmth and light that haven't been enjoyed for some time. Garden Day!

Kath, you've got to start a moon garden on the western side of your lot if you can. Even just a little one. White poppies belong there :-)

Have lots of cool dried stuff to cut down and some plant purging to be done. Too wet for bulbs here, too, but need to get self-sowns out from beneath shrubs and between pavers, and want to get everything into some semblance of order. Lime for the lawn (which I'm actually beginning to appreciate but please don't tell Rich).

80/20. There have been many moments when it's been the other way around, or 50/50 at best. Separation from the downfalls has helped. Not to ignore it, but to take a break. Nothing is so immediate that it needs to have narly attention and energy placed on it, particularly one it's completely out of one's control.

To help get through, this year I've concentrated on yellows. If there were a name for all the shades it would be mind boggling (like paint chips?????) The yellows with the faint lime green hues are my favorites, I've decided. It takes me away just long enough to count to 100 (10 having gone by the wayside a long time ago) and get to the heart of matters.

Reading through, I am feeling extrordinarly fortunate that my parents are still completely intact. They have taken steps to prepare for when they aren't, and my sister will be their go-to. It's a huge relief to know that they have the foresight to do this and yes, it was scary, but now that everything is "done" there's a sense of "Let's get on with the life we have" that brings peace and contentment.

All that said, I hope it's a long time before plans need to be executed.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, awfices. Three rounds of layoffs. Lots of lame duckers hanging on with their last day being the day before Christmas Eve. My boss and his second-in-command were among those escorted to the door so now I'm working for a guy out of Boston who is wonderful but very absent. We're all thinking that our little piece of the corporation will be gonzo after the 1st of the year so contingency applications to other positions in the company are pending.

Yes, I would miss direct sales but ya know.....there are jobs that are much more geared toward the young and running around New England is probably one of them. Alternatives include lots of supervisory stuff and management. Don't know how much I'd actually look forward to going back into that realm, but if it keeps us financially solvent and me occupied it'll be worth it.

So blathering on about me isn't why I came here but it sure feels good to get some stuff outta the brain and onto the screen.

'bug, I've been meaning to tell you....My niece is a shareholder in a sheep farm that produces fine wools on Martha's Vineyard. She is getting enough material to make herself a sweater, the first one she's attempted. Up to know she's made every style of socks one can imagine. Is there something similar up your way you could join?

Cyn -- Welcome! Lots of special ed history with me as regards my very ill brother, as you might have been able to tell. Also, Sister is double Masters and in charge of a local autisim/other unidentifiable maladies classroom for ages 6-10. She paid her dues in integrated classrooms for years. Her sense of humor is contagious and without ever hindering confidentiality, some of the stores that come out of "her kids" are really, really funny. Not so much the parents who think their kids will be cured in a matter of weeks. Good for you, and Thank You for What You Do if no one else thanks you this week :-)

(((((Idylls)))))) for whatever reason needed, even if it isn't any in particular, and have a Great Day!!

Martie

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Yeah Martie-a Moon Garden ! would love to have the space to execute that , but instead I try to incorporate a shot of white everywhere., and one grouping is developing into a white-purple-lime combo. Quite by accident too. I rather like it and will move some stuff around to make it a bit more obvious. And in the realm of yellows you are spot on there so many to choose and clashing is easily done . I gravitate towards the primrose pale yellow tones , but enjoy most all of them..

Anyone else out there ?? PM, Chelone , Mary ,Deanne ? Etc. ?? Yoo-hooo !

Kathy in Napa

• anitamo
    14 years ago

The weather was nice enough on Tuesday to take a walk with DGC, Antonio. He likes the scooter, so I'm glad there's never a lot of traffic.

{{gwi:183495}}

Here's the road at the end of my street that's my favorite for deer watching...no deer that day, though.
    {{gwi:183496}}

Spent the day mulching leaves and cutting the grass. Will round out the day for family appts. at the salon. (and color for me...who gray? No, it's my natural color. :)

Only read Kathy and Martie's post. I started from the bottom, but wanted to say hi while I had a few minutes. Love the photos, Kathy, and am a bit surprised that the fall color in CA looks the same as in IL. Nice!

Sorry to hear the awful awfice news Martie. It sounds like you have a few options, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya. Your sister sounds like a neat person, and that she's in the right profession.

Have a nice evening Idyller's,
    Anita

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Thanks for the kind words, Martie. Your sister sounds wonderful-you do need a sense of humor in special ed-or, come to think of it, in any job! Sounds like yours isn't too much fun. I hope it turns around and the new year is much better-for everyone!

Antonio is such a cutie! What a great street for walking-or scootering (scooting?)

'bug, what are the pink flowers with the orange berries-love those colors! Also liked the pheasant link. We had pheasants in our yard outside Philadelphia when I was growing up. They are beautiful-we'd see them every morning. I guess development drove them out. Too bad.

Kathy, your pictures are always so spectacular. Hope the wine lived up to the surroundings! BTW, loved your note to us, your "imaginary friends"-wonderful!

Michelle, instead of getting rid of your grandfather clock, I hear the newest trend is to display them in pairs and I have just the one to round out your collection...teehee. Seriously, it NEEDS to be gone before the first snow (which may never even happen here, but as a teacher I am ever hopeful), so I can get my car in the garage.

I am having a hard time with the realization that I have to go back to school tomorrow. I have so enjoyed this two weeks. It will be nice to see my kiddoes again, but the rest...well, nevermind.

Time to empty the dishwasher and then to bed to work on the Sunday crossword, read a little.

Happy Sunday/Monday all.

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

A wee bit of sunshine again today and no rain whoo hoo! Went to the city and picked up 4 new windows for upstairs and DH picked up a new piece of farm equipment that he had purchased recently.

Yesterday was a good day in the garden. I got lots of clean up done. Its very muddy so I worked on the garden around my shed. That bed is around 3 deep and mostly annuals. The gardens that have a lot of perennials in them still have lots of color and I usually go around and just cut back the things that longer look good.

Cyn, our grandfather clock was made by my husbands son. Dont get me wrong its beautiful. It was made from a walnut tree from our farm, but Im just tired of dusting it and believe it belongs in their home.

Anita, your street is lovely and your GS adorable!

Kathy, love the pillar arrangement and have saved the picture. Did you check out how they had it held together? Our neighbors always have a hayrack sitting along the road filled with interesting pumpkins etc that they sell.

bug, wonderful pictures I like the second one best, what is it? Pheasants are plentiful around here and hunting them is very popular. We see flocks in grove of up to 30 or 40.

Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Michelle, I plan to go back to Franciscan in a couple of weeks and will inspect the pillar display --I was unhappy with the crooked issue on the pic anyway and want to take a new one. I have to go up that way for a meeting on Wednesday and I will take my camera.

Anita, both Antonio and the country road are very pleasant to see-could one be named Antonio and not be suave and charming ?

Kathy in Napa

• candy_j
    14 years ago

What an adorable collage of little girls! Anita, great picture of Antonio on that scooterquite the handsome little guy already. The area looks heavily wooded; do you have problems with deer getting into your gardens?

We actually had some sun for half a day; DH and I managed to do a little yard work today. Weve already accumulated a dozen yard waste bags that are awaiting pick up. Im not planting bulbs this year unless its to add a few Star Gazer lilies I dont have the patience to let the foliage die back properly. Tomorrow though, Im going to prowl a couple of nurseries to see whats left on clearance in the shrub lot. I just feel like digging a hole and theres still a gap along the property line. Something tall and narrow because it might have to be sacrificed in a few years when the other shrubs mature. My immediate concern though, is for privacy next spring!

Hoping Cindy, V and Kathys upcoming week at work isnt too full of drama!

The Brookside is really starting to show patches of color
    {{gwi:183497}}

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Very nice photo Candy ..

Kathy in Napa

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Good morning

Kathy - I heard you calling:0) Ive enjoyed reading along, some lovely fall photos, smiling grandchildren and wonderful leaves.

The weekend here was filled with activities with the children, working outside, a couple of craft projects (I made myself a chicken apron) and fighting the end of a cold. I cleaned up the area within the pool enclosure where I grow our veggies. As the pool is closed for the winter I was able to let the chickens in to help me with the work (a large body of water makes me nervous as chickens sink like a brick). The girls were wonderfully busy eating the last of the fallen tomatoes, scratching in the dirt for bugs, fluffing the soil and generously fertilizing. Chickens are the most prolific poopers you have ever encountered!

It was fun working side by side and as we got the work done so quickly I rewarded myself by planting 200 tulips for a blaze of color in the spring. It is the only deerproof area I have so I put them in on mass. I love deep colored Darwin tulips with the acid yellow/green of Euphorbia Polychroma.

After much online reasearch and browsing DH and I bought a leaf sweeper that hitches to the back of the lawn tractor. I actually enjoy raking leaves but this fall I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. Amongst others we have a huge pin oak at the front that showers the front yard with leaves. DH is travelling as much as ever so we are hoping this will make life easier and give me time to clean up the borders instead of just the lawn. So far it has been the opposite - it took DH 4 frustrating hours to put the thing together. This afternoon after work we'll find out if it works.

Hope everyone has a good start to the week especially those with challengiing work situations.

Mary

• saucydog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good morning! Reading along and enjoying all the fall foliage and grandkids too :)

Nice to see Martie again...keep 'em coming! Sounds like your life is busy these days.

More time for a real post later (and it looks like Saturday's post disappeared!)...

Saucy

• anitamo
    14 years ago

A nice day here, a little damp, but not too chilly. Tomorrow will be even better. I have a few minutes to catch up here, then will bake a pumpkin cake, which is a family (and anyone who tries it) favorite. My DD esp. loves it, and will stand in for her birthday cake. If anyone wants the recipe, let me know and I'll post it.

cyn, Do you teach in a year round school district? It sounds like you have a great teaching style, and teach to the indiviual. I like crossword puzzles, too, and focus lately on the patternless ones. I wish I could find more of them, and not only the daily newspaper one.

'bug, What is the yellow conifer in the photo? It's either dying or a Larch, right? And what's the name of the gorgeous plant with pink and orange blossoms?

candy, Yes, the deer can be a problem here. I spray Liquid Fence and spread Milorganite around, and while it helps some, there is still some damage. I don't mind it as much as the raccoon visits, though. Their droppings bother me more due to the high bacteria count. Love your Brookside. I need to get one.

Michelle, You're getting new windows? Hope you pick a nice day for installation. Hope all in going well in your DD's world.

chelone, your mentioned earlier about hating whole class punishments. That has always been a pet peeve of mine. Whether in school, or dealing with your own kids, I've always been bothered when I witness everyone getting into trouble because of one or two bad apples. If the adult in charge can't figure out who the culprit is, then the innocent shouldn't have to pay for it. I still get steamed when I remember my own kids coming home to report when it happened in their class.

Mary, Sounds like you will have a gorgeous tulip display come spring. I didn't plant any new bulbs this year...not yet anyways. There's still time, though. I didn't know that little tidbit about chickens sinking like a brick. So they would drown in a pool or pond? I would think by flapping their feathers they'd stay afloat? Hope your leaf sweeper works well. Anything that helps with leaf pickup is worth it's weight in gold. All the hours doing that yesterday, and I can barely tell today in some areas of the lawn. Maples are the worst.

kathy...what team will you be cheering on in the World Series? I know what you mean about the name Antonio...you just feel good saying the name. My almost 4 y.o. DGS, Will, calls him 'Tone. So cute.

Lots of missing Idyllers...although, it's still been busy here. Hi to all.

Anita

Here's a before and after to keep you in the Fall mood...(the first one I've posted before)

Earlier this year, waking up...
    {{gwi:162673}}

And today, getting ready for sleep...
    {{gwi:183498}}

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

candy and anita, love your pics.

anita, yes, I am in a year-round school, but this is our last year for it. The superintendent says it is too expensive (only six elementary schools out of a total of 196 schools schools in our district have the modified calendar-137 are elementary schools). The fact that it is the best thing for our low-income, high risk kiddoes seems to be beside the point. They start so far behind that the extra five weeks of school really can make a difference (our test scores have gone up every year since we started this), so I am really upset that we are going back to the traditional calendar. I will also miss the breaks at the end of every quarter! Wish I could afford to retire.

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Hi all
    Not much going on around here. Rain,rain and more rain. I did manage to get my breakable pots in in case it freezes. We haven't even been able to start on the leaves.
    Have been enjoying the fall colors out the windows, and when we drive somewhere.

Candy love the colors of your Brookside. I need to go look at mine and see if it has color. My Rozzanne is still blooming.

Anita,looks like you have some color in the woods there. Antonio has a great smile.

Marie, I like the color of Ivys new sweater. I'm curious too what the pink flowers and buds are.

Kathy, I really like that fountain in your photos. Sounds like you are enjoying the fall season in your garden. I think the rest of us got screwed out of the fall season to work in ours.

Eden and Michelle, I enjoyed seeing pictures of Kate, Bella and Kenzie. I hope Kenzie is getting along ok with her broken foot.

Mary, I hope the lawn sweeper works well for you. We need to see the chic-0+++++++++++++++++++++++=3222222222222222222222220
    uhmm that was supposed to be chicken apron. Niki just jumped on my laptop trying to get to my lap.

My coleus cuttings have rooted so I need to get those potted up. I still would like to stick some pansies in for spring color and oh yes I have a few bulbs to plant.

Other than that I am trying to learn to make a variety of the same food stuffs for DH. He is only one point over not being diabetic. No prescribed pills yet so we are trying the diet approach to get it under control. The benefit being I am dropping pounds too since he can't be demanding all the junk foods, and I definitely need to drop pounds.

Need to go get the curious kitten out of trouble.

Norma

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Just a quick hello to all. Thinking especially of Woody and Randy this week...

I've been busy with many things, including a doctor's appointment, investigating flu and what to do for our various households, listening (and sometimes even laughing) to DD vent about her circumstances, a friend's back troubles, another friend who left suddenly for East Germany to deal with parents, etc....

Cold weather is expected to start in earnest I hear, next week. :( I must deal with that NOW. Also DS is expected here this weekend, but perhaps only for a dinner and then onward to various other duties.

Antonio is obviously an Italian film star. ;) Gorgeous. Anita, your Autumn garden has beautiful colour!

And Cyn, it is easy to burn out as a teacher, not so much because of the students, but because of the system! That was certainly true for me at least on several occasions. The kids are the good part!

Phoebe had a visitor come take her for a walk today and was delighted. I instructed him on how to walk her at a HEAL, with the leash loose. I know she'll test him though...

Good night!
    'bug

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Hello all,

The weekend was busy as we went to visit DD at her school, but I took my camera and took lots of practice photos. We drove to a dairy farm that makes Jersey milk cheese that's out of this world. The calves were moving too much to get a good photo, but Mr. Turkey was willing to pose for me.

{{gwi:183502}}

Her school considers the entire campus to be an arboretum and they have a number of great specimen trees. There's an espaliered ginkgo that it just starting to turn color.

{{gwi:183505}}

And this small tree had brilliant orange foliage.

{{gwi:183506}}

We got home Sunday afternoon with enough time to take a walk in the prairie. There were several blackbirds sitting in the cottonwood tree.

{{gwi:183508}}

Class again tomorrow night, including feedback on the photos we've taken this week. Wednesday night I have to do a garden club talk, so I may be gone until later in the week. I'll try to keep up on my reading over lunchtime.

I'm trying to keep a good attitude at work, but I'm not doing a very good job of it. I'll keep trying! :)

V.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

The awfice sustained no drama today, but morale is low and rumors of more dire doings continue to circulate-mostly instigated by those who are in no position to know anything and would be better off just sticking to the job at hand. So it goes in the world of workplace gossip.

Nice weather continues here , no frost and warm temps- I had to water containers today . I had enough water collected from the last storm though, so the hose was not called into service. My black bamboo seems to need water a lot; I think I will need to repot it this fall. Im going to nose around for a pot this Wednesday when I am upvalley. It will have to be big, so I may go the wine barrel route.

Anita, I love the seasonal comparison shots you posted how nicely you have planned for fall in that area ! I bet you cant wait to see how thinks shake out next year when the shrubs put on another year of growth.

Norma, nice to see you check in. I wish you could see that fountain in person , it is beautiful even when seem zooming by on the highway. Lol Niki and your keyboard.

Great photos V ! I await my photography class later this winter.

All for tonight

Kathy in Napa

• candy_j
    14 years ago

Anita, please do post your recipe! Im looking for a tried and true pumpkin cake and I dont want to experiment with spice for this occasion. Also, I have to ask what those two conifers are in your photos - I love the structure and am curious as to their age. Lovely yard, I envy the fence but do the deer actually jump over it?!

Norma, I think you should post a picture of that laptop kitty!

I did find a great shrub sale today and bought a Chicago Lustre Viburnum at 70% off. Unbelievable! Of course it was too big for the intended area so I dug up the Helianthus Lemon Queen, put it in a holding pot and planted the shrub before the rain began. DH came home to find me grubby but smiling, happy to have a last fling before winter. Tomorrow, Im going back to see what I might have overlooked. I love planting shrubs in the fall, they just seem to get a head start over spring plantings.

V. Glad youre enjoying the photography class; youre certainly taking some fantastic pictures. I can almost count Mr. Turkeys feathers!

Thanks for the nice comments regarding the Brookside colors. I wanted to share those because Im thinking of Woody, remembering she grows them, also. Sending good, positive thoughts

More rain expected this week; the pansies dont seem to mind. Ive learned to appreciate these little plants for helping me transition into the fall and again in the early spring when Im starving for color. This one is wearing her chilly, beaded crystals without complaint

{{gwi:183509}}

• candy_j
    14 years ago

Yikes! Sorry my last two photos have been so large. Normally, I size them 640x480 but obviously I was playing around instead of paying attention.

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Good morning

Anita - your gardens are lovely in all seasons!

Candy - I love orange pansies and haven't planted any for a while. How neat to see yours in the ice.

V - Mr turkey is fabulous. Anything that ugly has to be photogenic.

The leaf sweeper worked like a dream yesterday. The leaves were light and dry and flew into the cart. It was easy to dump them curbside for pick-up for the town's compost. What would normally have taken 3-4 hours was done in 45 minutes - yay!! Today my labors will be less visible but it is great knowing I can save the hand raking and dragging for my beds and borders.

In the mood for something autumnal for dinner I made (what I thought) was a delicious Butternut Squash and cashew curry. Annie and DH, who run a mile from anything in the sweet potato, winter squash family were out so I thought David was a good bet. He pronounce the sauce excellent, but that the dish would ahve been much improved without the acorn squash LOL! I know what I'll be eating for lunch this week.

Norma - I'll post a pic of the chicken apron when the straps are finished. I love having a selection of pretty aprons in the kitchen.

Thinking of sewing I have decided this year's Christmas presents will be quilted casserole carriers. I always make my sisters and close friends something by hand, and particularly enjoy the sort of retro, kitschy items that were popular in the 50's and are hip once more. I've found a pattern online and will have fun choosing fabric for each person (I'll do a prototype with chickens). But after the leaves are swept...

Mary

• anitamo
    14 years ago

Candy, here's the recipe. Even the picky eaters like this.

Pumpkin Bars

4 eggs
    1 2/3 cup sugar
    1 cup oil
    16 oz. can real pumpkin
    2 cups flour
    2 tsp. baking powder
    2 tsp. cinnamon
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. baking soda

Icing

3 oz. cream cheese (softened)
    1/2 cup butter (softened)
    2-3 cups powered sugar
    1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Beat eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin until light and fluffy.
    Combine the next five ingredients ; add to pumpkin mixture a little at a time.
    Mix thoroughly.
    Spread into an ungreased 15 x 10 pan (or use a 12x9 and 8x8)
    Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Cool. When completely cool (this may take a few hours at
    room temp.) apply icing. To make icing, just combine the butter, cream cheese and vanilla,
    then add powered sugar a little at a time until smooth.

Enjoy!

Note: I use the 29 oz. can of pumpkin...a little is left in the can. I've never tried it with
    only the 16 oz, but that's the original recipe. I'm wondering if you can also pour into
    cupcake tins? Also, I like to refrigerate after icing to chill it a bit. Either way, it's great.

• jak1
    14 years ago

Hello Idylls!

After being without the computer for a few days, I hardly know where to start! It was filled with dust and dirt (I am not surprised), and, in spite of our virus prtoectors, there were 400+ active viruses. No wonder the thing wouldn't work!

While it was gone I cleaned and tidied up the office, and made an especially good area for TCS to do his work. We refer to it as his office, and as there are not t.v. or toys there to distract him, he is doing a little better at getting the homework done.

Garden chores are finished here now, with yesterday emptying water barrels, turning off the taps and covering the air conditioner. Time to turn my attention to the inside of the house.

The guest room will be completed today, finally, and DH will do necessary repairs to the antique furniture that is going back in there. Gee Chelone, our very own Biddy Suite! Next week he has agreed to help me do a real big clean up and decluttering of the storage. Finally.

I too hate the idea of one kid causing trouble for all. I haven't run into this yet with TCS but I recall this with my own two in elementary school. I think the poor teachers often just give in to frustration - and I don't blame them either.

A big first here this morning: Tucker and I had a leisurely stroll around the block with a neighbour and her pup. Tucker was not socialized in his original home, and so is very excitable with other dogs, and sometimes aggressive. He has come a long long way. It must be the beatings....

Mary I am glad the leaf sweeper worked so well. I remember all too well the huge Norway Maple and the extra-huge oak at our previous house...Working on the gardens is so much more enjoyable. And with your chickie friends. Sounds like a peaceful, pleasant experience. If I just say the word "squash" here everyone runs for cover.

You are one busy lady, V. It's amazing how much you manage to fit in to your life! My Gingko doesn't turn at all = it just drops the leaves, all at once, still completely green. I kind of wanted the yellow in the fall, but I guess it just gets too cold too fast here.

Cyn, retirement is certainly a less stressful way to live, but things aren't always the way you think they would be. I sent this to my ex-co-workers a month after retirement:

When I retired I thought:

I would sleep later.
    My house would be cleaner.
    My money would go farther.
    My DH would drive me nuts.
    I would have lots of free time.
    I would miss working.
    My gardens would be meticulous.

I didn't think:
    That jeans wear out a lot faster when you wear them everyday.
    That everybody else in the neighbourhood would still be working.
    That the words "week-end" would lose all meaning.
    That staying home all day with a little kid would be fun (TCS was a baby then).
    That there are least 40 kids under the age of five in Merrickville (where we lived then).
    That COSTCO shopping would fill up a whole day
    That I would read a book a week just because I feel like it.

I'll leave you all nw with those thoughts! Waving to the many that I have missed! Don't forget your Juliejobs! Gives one a sense of progress, no matter how small!

Cheers,

Julie

• anitamo
    14 years ago

Candy, the evergreens are seedlings that I've just let grow. The larger one was here 9 years ago when I moved in. This is my side yard (I'm on a corner) and was very woody, weedy and overgrown with invasives. I believe they are eastern red cedar, AKA Juniperus virginiana. They self seed, but not horribly. The smaller one is the only seedling I've let grow to adulthood. :) There is no fence on two sides, so the deer can easily get in and out. I'm on a corner lot.

'bug, thanks for the euonymous info. I'm going to look into those, and the americana one. The fruit is so showy.

cyn, What a shame that the district decided to go backwards. Bad thinking on their part, but money is the name of the game, isn't it? The kids suffer once again.

norma, Niki sounds like a playful toddler. Your DH is lucky to have you fixing him healthy meals. Diabetes is on the rise, so I hope he can by pass getting it.

mary, Glad the leaf sweeper works so well. Whatever will you do with those saved hours from not having to rake by hand?

Loving the photos...V is so going to ace her photography class, as will kathy when she takes it this winter. You both could teach it with no problems.

Special wave to woody.

Anita

• anitamo
    14 years ago

Julie, we were posting at the same time. I love your retirement letter. That should be posted in every office lunchroom. LOL. Very true, though, especially about "weekends" losing its special meaning. You've been busy, haven't you? TCS will love his new study room, I'm sure.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Mary, a nice vignette pic featuring the chicken apron and the chicken casserole holder would be just the ticket. I still remember those love bags you made for Christmas a couple of years ago.

And thanks for the recipe Anita, on the agenda here !

Kathy in Napa

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

bug, I hope that there was not wine involved in the mysterious flying cat incident !

Winds are up this evening, I came home to find the umbrella prone, wilted containers and after liberally applying Burts Bees lip balm I rushed around watering and picking up rolling 5 gal buckets. Glad I never got around to raking leaves or sweeping this weekend, it would have been an exercise in futility.

My friends Ted {{gwi:183510}}From Garden Fall 2009

And Doobie {{gwi:183511}}From Garden Fall 2009

Kathy in Napa

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus