{{gwi:183751}}
(Saturday)

{{gwi:183752}}
(Later that same day)

{{gwi:183753}}

Comments (17)

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Well done Madame! Good to see these changes. And what a beautiful day it is. I'm a big fan of ornamental grasses...especially when someone else does the spring dividing. ;) The basic TF (traffic flow) is to be admired!

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

I love 'before and afters'. You guys are working hard.
    It's beautiful! I love the awnings too.

Jerri

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Wow! It is really looking good!
    ( I sure wish I could say that about my yard.....) :-(
    Ahhh, to be young and strong again!

I love your new driveway too.

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Wow indeed! everything is looking wonderful Chelone! Well done!
    Deanne

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

We can but hope that this represents a turning point in the volume of compound photos posted ! You know we'll begin to tap our toes if we are not kept current...everything looks just fabu! Does the arbor in pics one and two contain the long-suffering 'New Dawn' ? Love the light fixtures on the Bahn too!

Kathy in Napa

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

May I third that Wow? Things are looking great on the compound. Thanks for the photos!

V.

• denisez10
    15 years ago

What a lot of room for the Huge One to gallop in. It's coming along marvelously, all the woody stuff and the grasses, beautifully in keeping with the site. Bravo!

• jak1
    15 years ago

Looks great - and what a lot of work! Is that the Magnolia in the second picture, in front of two little evergreens? Looks like it took to its new location very well. You would really never know that that was an entrance before. Good work!

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Yet another WOW here.... How does the trafic flow along the two 'roads' - is the 'barn' in a 'traffic circle'?

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Great changes Chelone! Everything has such a wonderful mature look. Great stone walls and lovely fall trees. Thanks for the peek.

Michelle

• chelone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The New Dawn lives on the south side of the house in the Terrace garden, Kathy. I'll post some shots of it... whenever I get around to that side of the Compound. There are two grapes vines on that arbor in the first two shots. Helpmeet has done nothing with them, has no idea what to do with them, either. The grapes are deep purple and are really quite delicious... Rex will nibble those low enough for him to reach.

The driveway is circular and the radius of it will accomodate a full sized delivery truck. You can drive right up to the front door (the "drive through") or park in front of the barn. You can also drive under the pergola and exit the Compound via the "bat cave entrance", an old trolley line that exits onto a private dirt road.

We have laid out an "interstate system" for the yard, Woody. There are geneous paths that run around the garage and Sanitary Ridge. The original paths were 48" wide and time has shown us that they're really too narrow to navigate easily with the gardenway, so we bumped the width up to 72" for the paths around the barn and will widen the others in time. The whole object is to have a nice place to stroll when we take the dog out in the morning or the late evening, and an easy way to get equipment to areas we want to work on. There is another "path" through the woods on the south side of the property, but it's really rough right now. It's a project near and dear to our hearts and yet we never seem to get over there and get it done.

Yes, Julie, that's the relocated Magnolia. The two little evergreens are temporarily housed there waiting for inspiration to strike, and I'm very seriously considering moving the divisions of the big Miscanthus in the last 3 shots to that area. It's full sun, the soil is more what it would like, and I think it could provide a rather nice, fast hedge.

The weekend just past was brutal with respect to traffic. There is so much frontage completely open to the road. I know it takes things time to grow and fill in but I wish it would happen faster; hence my thought for repurposing the Miscanthus. Thanks for the kind words, I'll try to get more shots up and solicit some ideas from you, too!

• saucydog
    15 years ago

I have checked in on this thread often, but have yet to comment! I love the thoughtfulness to your "interstate" system, Chelone. It took me a while to figure out where the barn was in relation to the garden, but these shots put it all in perpective!

We do need pictures of the South side, I am rather fond of your little pass through and would like to see how far the Hydrangea petiolaris has made it!

Saucy

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Chelone some of the pis only half loaded for me, but from what I can see it looks like you are getting a handle on things. You must be feeling a sense of accomplishment. It's looking good. Norma

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Chelone, you guys have been busy. Things are really looking good. I'm especially impressed with that last before and after of the grasses. What a difference. Don't you just love how all of that hard work pays off in the end? Feels good doesn't it? Nice job!

Eden

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

What a treat to see photos of the Compound! I am in love with your Bahn...lol! Everything about it is impressive and I love the shingles and the teal color on the doors. You must be so thrilled to be finished with the Bahn and at last be working on the garden. Did you just tie up your grasses? Funny that juniper was hiding in there. You did a masterful job of planting around Sanitary Ridge. Such great fall color in your trees. Looking forward to more photos!

pm2

• jak1
    15 years ago

That's the Bahn? Gee whiz, I thought it was your house!!! I thought the little old grey building in the distance was the Bahn. Could you show the house again please? My goodness, you guys are amazing!!!

• chelone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Julie, here is a shot that shows part of the house and bahn in relation to each other:

{{gwi:183754}}

Here is a pretty recent view of the east facade of the house:

{{gwi:177924}}

I am not really thrilled with the color of the doors on the house and bahn. I am really wishing I'd indulged in my first inclination to paint them high gloss black. I like a more formal look, in general. I also very much wish the helpmeet had been willing to at least discuss painting the bahn red... .

Helpmeets can be so unwilling to indulge fancy sometimes!