Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_ny6

A visit to Great Dixter (lots of photos)

Mary_NY6
18 years ago

Something I've long wanted to share with you all, here are some pictures from our trip to Great Dixter this summer. I hope loading is not too tedious for those with dial-up.

Christopher Lloyd's gardens completely surround the lovely timbered house, parts of which date back to the 16th century. Here are a couple of views of the long border. We were there in August and it was stunning.

{{gwi:183827}}

{{gwi:183828}}

There are many yew topiaries, the peacocks were my favorites.

{{gwi:183830}}

{{gwi:183832}}

{{gwi:150777}}

There were so many stunning combinations.

{{gwi:183833}}
The sunk garden and pond.

{{gwi:183834}}

Even my non-gardening DH was captivated.

{{gwi:183835}}

Inside the wall garden

{{gwi:183836}}

We didn't see Christopher LLoyd, but his two dauchshounds Canna and Yucca were trotting around the gardens, cheerfully ignoring all the visitors.

{{gwi:183837}}

Have you ever seen Gunnera this size?

{{gwi:183838}}

The Exotic garden, with the "hovel" in the background was bursting with color and texture. It was probably the area I spent longest in but I can't seem to upload the photos here - I'll save them for another thread.

Mary

Comments (16)

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Wow, what an incredible place, Mary! Maybe a plan to visit some of the wonderful gardens in England would be enough to entice me onto a transatlantic flight again.

Sue

• Woody_Canada
    18 years ago

Mary - oooh I want to go to England again! There's nowhere else that has that magical combination of perfect old houses and gardens. Thank you for the tour.

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Wow wow, wow!!! Just gorgeous Mary! What a visual treat. Thanks for posting these.
    Deanne

• just_t
    18 years ago

Mary, what a lovely place! Thank you for sharing a part of your time in England.

T.

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Mary, what wonderful photos of an amazing garden. Thank you so much! Is that a topiary arch in the 4th photo, or is it ivy over a stone arch? Love the evergreens. If only I had the room and the sun. Yes yes, more please!

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

The last photo is the best of course. :-)

And yes folks, Christopher Lloyd has gardening staff. He's in his 80s now I believe, so that's fine. I hope I am gardening in my 80s too...even without staff.

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

Mary, I have never been to England, but you make it very tempting. What wonderful photos of a wonderful place. I believe EP put a link to Great Dixter that was very interesting. Your photos show it much better though. They didn't have a little boy in front of gunnera. (Priceless)
    Thanks for sharing with us. I'd like to see more.

Michelle

• Full_Bloom
    18 years ago

Mary...Thanks for such an enjoyable morning! What a lot of fun to see your beautiful pics and brings back so many wonderful memories! I remember the peacock topiary too and that *amazing* gunnera! We were there in June, I think and so it's been a real treat to see his garden in a different season with your gorgeous pictures. Thanks so much for sharing this...I just love England, sure hope I can get back some day! Ei

• Monique z6a CT
    18 years ago

Beautiful photos Mary! I love all the color in his borders. The dark Dachshunds are so cute and the Gunnera is amazingly LARGE! Just curious, how often is his garden open?

• chloehoover
    18 years ago

Wow, I only just now had a chance to see this thread and photos - Thanks so much, Mary. It's really more lovely than the books/magazine articles I've seen that somehow make it seem garish to me - but these photos really make you see how lovely it is....such a treat. Thank you for sharing these with us.
    -Cindy

• babzclare
    18 years ago

Thanks for the uplifting peek at your trip. It looks like a dreamworld. I do hope we get to see more. What a handsome young lad beneath the gunnera leaves! Nice pics, Mary; )

~B

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

Such a lovely place , and beautiful pictures . I never expect to get there in person ...so thanks for taking me there in pictures !

Marian

• triple_creek
    18 years ago

I love touring others gadens, famous or not. Thanks to this forum and people willing to share their travels, I have seen many beautiful gardens. Thanks for sharing Mary. I'm sure I'll never make it to England but have read many books with backgrounds there,so it is nice to have visuals.
    Norma

• vegangirl
    18 years ago

Finally got a chance to look at these photos and I'm glad I took the time. They are lovely. Thanks for sharing!
    VG

• taryn
    18 years ago

Bump! Taking a break from sorting wee seeds, eyes are crossed from focusing so closely. :) So in honour of the late great Christopher Lloyd, thought I'd nudge this thread back up top before it falls off the board.

Mary, thought I'd commented on this before, but see I must have been swooning in my head (happens a lot, lol). Lovely, stunning photos! Love David with the Gunnera! (and just answered my own question on another discussions thread). I sure hope the charitable trust that is being set up can truly preserve and maintain Lloyd's gardens for future generations to enjoy.

Looking forward to a new series of stunning garden pics from Hawaii when you return Mary! Have a wonderful time!

Taryn

Here is a link that might be useful: the passing of a great perennial gardener.

• babs_clare
    18 years ago

LOL Taryn you're playing with my mind~I thought I was having a deja vu experience...thanks for bumping this back up I could look at Mary's Dixter pics over and over they are so beautiful. I hope I one day see them in person and they are as intact as when Christopher Lloyd was alive.

Gee,and I thought-how cool, some missing idylls are back posting....until I finally noticed the dated posts : ( I REALLY miss so many idyllers that have left us.

~Babs

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz