Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A visit to Great Dixter (lots of photos)

Posted by Mary_NY6 z6 NY (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 15, 05 at 17:32

Something I've long wanted to share with you all, here are some pictures from our trip to Great Dixter this summer. I hope loading is not too tedious for those with dial-up.

Christopher Lloyd's gardens completely surround the lovely timbered house, parts of which date back to the 16th century. Here are a couple of views of the long border. We were there in August and it was stunning.

There are many yew topiaries, the peacocks were my favorites.

There were so many stunning combinations.

The sunk garden and pond.

Even my non-gardening DH was captivated.

Inside the wall garden

We didn't see Christopher LLoyd, but his two dauchshounds Canna and Yucca were trotting around the gardens, cheerfully ignoring all the visitors.

Have you ever seen Gunnera this size?

The Exotic garden, with the "hovel" in the background was bursting with color and texture. It was probably the area I spent longest in but I can't seem to upload the photos here - I'll save them for another thread.

Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A visit to Great Dixter (lots of photos)

Wow, what an incredible place, Mary! Maybe a plan to visit some of the wonderful gardens in England would be enough to entice me onto a transatlantic flight again.

Sue

o

Mary - oooh I want to go to England again! There's nowhere else that has that magical combination of perfect old houses and gardens. Thank you for the tour.

o

Wow wow, wow!!! Just gorgeous Mary! What a visual treat. Thanks for posting these.
Deanne

o

Mary, what a lovely place! Thank you for sharing a part of your time in England.

T.

o

Mary, what wonderful photos of an amazing garden. Thank you so much! Is that a topiary arch in the 4th photo, or is it ivy over a stone arch? Love the evergreens. If only I had the room and the sun. Yes yes, more please!

o

The last photo is the best of course. :-)

And yes folks, Christopher Lloyd has gardening staff. He's in his 80s now I believe, so that's fine. I hope I am gardening in my 80s too...even without staff.

o

Mary, I have never been to England, but you make it very tempting. What wonderful photos of a wonderful place. I believe EP put a link to Great Dixter that was very interesting. Your photos show it much better though. They didn't have a little boy in front of gunnera. (Priceless)
Thanks for sharing with us. I'd like to see more.

Michelle

o

Mary...Thanks for such an enjoyable morning! What a lot of fun to see your beautiful pics and brings back so many wonderful memories! I remember the peacock topiary too and that *amazing* gunnera! We were there in June, I think and so it's been a real treat to see his garden in a different season with your gorgeous pictures. Thanks so much for sharing this...I just love England, sure hope I can get back some day! Ei

o

Beautiful photos Mary! I love all the color in his borders. The dark Dachshunds are so cute and the Gunnera is amazingly LARGE! Just curious, how often is his garden open?

o

Wow, I only just now had a chance to see this thread and photos - Thanks so much, Mary. It's really more lovely than the books/magazine articles I've seen that somehow make it seem garish to me - but these photos really make you see how lovely it is....such a treat. Thank you for sharing these with us.
-Cindy

o

Thanks for the uplifting peek at your trip. It looks like a dreamworld. I do hope we get to see more. What a handsome young lad beneath the gunnera leaves! Nice pics, Mary; )

~B

o

Such a lovely place , and beautiful pictures . I never expect to get there in person ...so thanks for taking me there in pictures !

Marian

o

I love touring others gadens, famous or not. Thanks to this forum and people willing to share their travels, I have seen many beautiful gardens. Thanks for sharing Mary. I'm sure I'll never make it to England but have read many books with backgrounds there,so it is nice to have visuals.
Norma

o

Finally got a chance to look at these photos and I'm glad I took the time. They are lovely. Thanks for sharing!
VG

o

• Posted by taryn S Ontario Z6B (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 15, 06 at 12:58

Bump! Taking a break from sorting wee seeds, eyes are crossed from focusing so closely. :) So in honour of the late great Christopher Lloyd, thought I'd nudge this thread back up top before it falls off the board.

Mary, thought I'd commented on this before, but see I must have been swooning in my head (happens a lot, lol). Lovely, stunning photos! Love David with the Gunnera! (and just answered my own question on another discussions thread). I sure hope the charitable trust that is being set up can truly preserve and maintain Lloyd's gardens for future generations to enjoy.

Looking forward to a new series of stunning garden pics from Hawaii when you return Mary! Have a wonderful time!

Taryn

Here is a link that might be useful: the passing of a great perennial gardener.

o

LOL Taryn you're playing with my mind~I thought I was having a deja vu experience...thanks for bumping this back up I could look at Mary's Dixter pics over and over they are so beautiful. I hope I one day see them in person and they are as intact as when Christopher Lloyd was alive.

Gee,and I thought-how cool, some missing idylls are back posting....until I finally noticed the dated posts : ( I REALLY miss so many idyllers that have left us.

~Babs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here