Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Celtic Dreams distractions

We were off in search of more distraction today (things are going to be long-drawn-out on the medical front...) and today's journey took us to an interesting garden on the edge of the Niagara Escarpment.

Celtic Dreams was a bit wild and overgrown but really interesting. We'll have to aim to go back next year in peak flowering seasons.... (There were about a dozen or so wisterias draped over outbuildings, trees and shrubs - while they could use a heavy pruning, they would, no doubt, be spectacular in bloom in mid-late May!)

There was a large collection of greenmen (and a few greenladies) in various places in the garden. I particularly like this guy's grape earrings!

{{gwi:183845}}

This one seemed to have a calmer personality!

{{gwi:183846}}

The center of this trellis was more feminine. I would like to build a trellis like this one for the end of a path in the woodland garden area in our garden.

{{gwi:183847}}

Another feature of the garden was 'sanding stones', many with carvings on them like this one with a unicorn

{{gwi:183848}}

Or this one with Yggdrasil the World Tree or Tree of Life:

{{gwi:183849}}

There were also various objects made from concrete, hypertufa and willow. We particularly liked this mosaic toadstool:

{{gwi:183850}}

The weathered teddy-bears on the twig bench had a certain poignancy:

{{gwi:183851}}

There were lots of rare and unusual trees. The garden was only open by appointment so we got a personal tour from the owner. He named all the trees for us - but we immediately forgot most of them! This is a leaf from a Paulownia tomentosa (Foxglove Tree. When we saw it, I thought it would be a perfect leaf for Saucy to do a cast of...

{{gwi:183852}}

I can't remember what this one's name was - a Japanese something-or-other! But we liked how it billowed against the sky and the lighter ends of the branches were very attractive. It was quite tall - 20' or so I'd guess. I'm not sure how tall it would get eventually.

{{gwi:183853}}

The borders were in autumn-aded state but still quite attractive. There were quite a few areas with lots of grasses. The borders below would have been very colorful earlier in the summer but were fading gracefully.

{{gwi:183854}}
{{gwi:183855}}

As we left the garden and headed for home the road ran along the edge of the escarpment. The view was nice but I'd hate to drive the steep, narrow switchback road in winter!

{{gwi:183856}}

I've attached a link to the website for the garden but it looks like it hasn't been updated since 2006 or so!

Here is a link that might be useful: Celtic Dreams

Comments (10)

• deanneart
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a lovely garden Woody, love all the garden Green Men and Ladies! Thanks for sharing these.
    Deanne

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

What a lovely distraction. It looks like there are lots of things of interest there. The green men are cool and the frames as well. The teddies are kind of spooky, but each to their own.

Michelle

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Yes, weathered teddies are too sad. Love that last photo, pretty fall colors! Where are you two going this weekend? :-)

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Interesting place. I prefer the plants to the sculptures, put that is just me. The Paulownia grows here. I don't remember seeing it on the mountain but it is down in town. It's leaves and blossoms are pretty. I espacially like the last 3 pics.

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

That's a neat garden, Woody -- I agree those teddy bears are spooky; not sure I'd feel good doing that myself.. very strange effect. But one can see the "blowsy" English border for a wild autumn. Of course, I love the celtic elements as that's kind of what I have in my own (except for the seashell thing going on too, LOL). I like their orginality in displaying the various ornaments too -- very creative...

A lovely lovely diversion - for us all. Thanks for sharing.

Cindy

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Green Men and Ladies would be a fun thing to collect if one had an appropriate setting- No collection for me but hope to find the right one someday. It looks like the garden also features empty picture frames ? An interesting concept to frame a view !

Looking forward to your next field trip !

Kathy in Napa

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Woody, if anyone could build that trellis it would be you with your carpentry skills. You called the engraved stones sanding stones. Is there a reason they are called that?

I like the texture of that Japanese something tree too.

Norma

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Norma - typo ... Standing stones is what it should say...

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Woody, I wanted to order a Paulwonia for myself, even if it was just for one growing season - they're pretty inexpensive through mail order. I'd never heard "foxglove tree" - I want to say Princess Tree comes to mind.

I like the empty frame, too.

The bears remind me of The Velveteen Rabbit.

The green men always remind me of Neptune for some reason...not sure why. I like them, though. That would be a fun garden collectable.

Saucy

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

I too enjoy the last photos of the late autumn grasses and the view from the escarpment. I've driven those roads and totally agree about not wanting to use them in poor weather!
    I also like the Japanese tree!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES