Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chelone_gw

Idyll #458 Right this time?

chelone
14 years ago

The checkbook is balanced. I think I've got the count right this time... and to quote Jackie Gleason, "Awaaay we go!".

Comments (104)

• triple_creek
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

LOL, Harley Davidson coats Julie. I bet you could even find them on the web. Norma

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Julie - I got a chuckle out of the mental image of Harley Davidson coats - I think you should make some for them! Misty wore a coat in her first winter here because her coat hadn't grown in. She hated her coat. Now we let her grow out for the winter and she looks like a little wooly mammoth! Keeping the knots out is a bit of a problem as she doesn't like getting brushed. She loves the cold and snow - definitely a hardy breed from the Himalayas!

Chelone - you really need to provide us some pictures of the Wrecking Crew! They sound like a lot of fun....

We did another little stress-reliever jaunt today. We need to go back again after the leaves fall or, better yet, in the spring during run-off, to get good pictures since you can't see a lot with the leaves on the trees... Since there's not a lot of pictures, it's not worth a separate thread so I'll add them here. The place is called The Devil's Punchbowl and it's on the edge of the Niagara Escarpment just down the road from the Celtic Dreams garden.
    {{gwi:183910}}
    From the waterfall side:
    {{gwi:183911}}
    From the near-by look-out:
    {{gwi:183912}}
    Randy clowning (at least he didn't go through the fence to walk on the edge!)
    {{gwi:183913}}

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Just look at all the different colors in the layer of rocks in the Devils Punch Bowl.

Oh that Randy. That would freak me out if he was even anywhere near the edge.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

4.25 inches in the rain gauge today- our first storm was no wimp. High winds and steady rain all day long. Its let up a bit now so I did a bit of a WALAT to view the basil grove laying on its side, bent Dahlia stems , blobby roses etc etc. Hopefully my watering days are over except for the containers.

I had intended to comment on Michelles splendid pillar display fabu ! We will have to compare notes on our container tulips- I bought 50 ish bulbs last week before I left for the coast , and now I have to decide which containers I want to put them in. Im favoring low and squatty shapes but they will have to be big enough to get the tulips at a decent depth. I just may get a few new terra cotta pots (just what I need , lol) since my employee price is very low on containers, and I want them to all be matching. Your fall garden pics are also just lovely; youve done a great job planning for the transition to winter. I always have a struggle with the fall clean-up issue- I find myself leaving more and more stuff till spring.

PM, very glad to know about the snappy sports car ! I have a neighbor that has restored a Triumph its so cute ! They mainly use it for Sunday drives on some of our scenic back roads here.

So Brenda, would that be real soybeans or Farmville soybeans ? One does get confused.

Denise hopefully you can hold off on the new computer until MS releases their new operating system. Vista reminds me of an interfering mother-in-law. How much rain did you get down yonder ?

Julie, our summer weather can be wildly variable depending on where you are in proximity to the coast. It can be very cool and foggy in summer , but sunny and crisp in fall. I am inland from the sea about 50 miles as the crow flies. Our least pleasant summer month is probably August-by that time there has been no rain for months and it is usually hot and dry. PCS it is ! And by the way, there is a Harley Davidson shop in Chicago, just off Michigan Ave, that can provide you with doggie Harley duds.

Wonderful fall pics Woody !

Ok, hi to all, I m going to nose around on the other threads..

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

A beautiful pink, grey and blue horizon this morning and 25F temperature. It is supposed to reach the low 40s later on. I wonder if our decorative pumpkins survived. I covered the rosemary plant and hope it makes it too.

Phoebe is very eager for spirited exercise and we have been doing our best to keep her calm. Yesterday Morgan dog came to visit and that was a tough thing. She cried to be outside. Does she need a Harley for her adventures now? LOL. Her vet appointment has been moved to Thursday morning.

I am hoping to cut back some plants for clean-up today, but we'll see if my fingers can stand the cold. I did manage to cut the grass (for the last time?) and expect that leaf collection will be an ongoing thing for several weeks now. Our firewood delivery has been delayed and I am annoyed about this because I will need to stack 6 face cords of the stuff in colder wetter conditions I expect. Also, the huge delivery truck will have problems crossing the bridge and we will need to haul the wood a greater distance. Grump!!!

Below is a Falls I visited back when I hiked the Bruce Trail with a Toronto group. Have you been there Woody?

Time is flying so away I go for now,
    'bug

14 years ago

gb - poor Phoebe! No, we haven't been to Ball's Falls. In the link I posted re the Devil's Punchbowl, there's a long list of waterfalls in the same area. Next spring we will try to visit some of them. Spring is probably the best time to visit as there will be a greater volume of water in the falls during spring run-off.

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Well, those rains everyone is speaking of are finally heading in this direction apparently -- it's been as dry here as the West Coast I think - but I'd prefer not to have 6 inches of rain at once - sheesh!

Woody, that's a neat place -- I love that you are choosing nature "diversions" - it's one of the things I think we folks forget about to make us thing of better things - here in the city, so many folks are hooked to their blackberries, cell phones, and Ipods they never look at another person, let alone their surroundings -- or enjoy the lovely sky or beautiful sun....So enjoy away, and breath and suck it deep inside - it will keep your spirits lifted, Im positive.

I feel so for Miss Phoebe - nothing more than a rambunctious young dog longing to be her natural self!

--cindy

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Don't faint! My spirit has finally moved me to post here this morning. :-)

I espacially want to send my sympathies to Susan and Randy. What a tough time in life for you, Susan and Randy, and Randy's dad. I suspect Randy's mom is pretty oblivious to it all?

I send my sympathy to Chelone also. I cannot imagine what you are going through, with the loss of 2 dear friends in such a tragic way.

As for new neighbors....we have the third set on the property back of us. We had none there for several years, and I loved it that way. I could walk in the woods in that direction and not feel as though the neighbors would think I was snooping on them. Then, the first to come, put their house almost on the property line! That trailer home was moved out, and the next ones had a modular house brought in ( we call it a "zipper house"). The new owners are now moving into that house. We have not met them. I have no idea if they are young, old, or in between. I do know they have adopted the goats and the Great Pyrenees. I sure hope they keep the goats in !

We have been car-less since last wednesday. It turns out both the timing belt and the catalytic converter have to be replaced. Thank God it died on me in town, at the Muffler Shop ! It was towed to the other shop, and has been there ever since. I am hoping to hear today that it is ready to be picked up. It is getting to the point that I need stuff from town.

My gardening has only consisted of mowing and fencing most of the growing season, except for my potted plants. All are now indoors that are coming in. The things outdoors have been severly pruned by deer and goats. A young buck deer feels secure in our yard from the archery hunters, and has become brave enough to eat all, even up against the house! Several does and fawns also inhabit our yard, and at least one other buck.

The back bear is roaming the neighborhood, and has Tommy and Trubby spooked. The afore mentioned Great Pyrenees met it coming down our driveway yesterday while I was taking my nap. I heard the barking but did not see the cause. Nolon did, and reported to me when I arose.

It is good seeing 2 new additions to the Idylls. Nice to have new voices, and locations, represented.

Fall colors are getting brighter...what was left from our January ice storm. Our unscathed Ginkgo is a beautiful yellow, but already dropping a few leaves. Because of the cloudy, chilly, rainy weather, it may hold them a little longer than normal.

That is enough from me....waving to all my friends here...see some of you on FaceBook. :-)

Marian

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

I'm heading out the door in ten minutes, but managed to get a photo of the 'Kopper King' Hibiscus I dragged home 50% off from Russell's on Sunday. I thought you all might enjoy seeing how vibrant the fall color is before the leaves fall off.

{{gwi:183914}}

• chelone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cindy, I instantly thought of you this morning when I heard the story on NPR about the Da Vinci discovery! I've also wanted to mention how dreadful having your time tracked on the computer must be... and that I hope you'll still collect a paycheck for the foreseeable future. I have always "questioned authority", have never suffered fools gladly, and was raised to be an honest and productive employee so all of what you've related would summon forth every ounce of rebellliousness in my body. You have the patience of a saint, although likely born of necessity. Hang tough!

PM, Copper King is handsome (why can't I bring myself to type the kitchy name?). And 50% off, too!

Marian, a delight to "see you". :) I am amazed by the black bear but not surprised really, because I know you live in a pretty rural area and I know bears are on the rise and this is the time of year they're eagerly searching out high fat food sources. Bummer about your car, but how lucky were you to have it happen at a garage?! Clearly, "lady luck" smiles on you. Indeed, the loss of my two best HS friends by their own hands has left me wondering about the meaning of this thing we call life and what is most important about it. It also serves as a horribly painful reminder that as resilient as we are in many aspects we all have limits. And, just like an engine that runs out of oil, when we run out of hope we find ourselves in big trouble. I hate it when people trivialize someone else's pain by labelling it, "selfish"; it bespeaks a need to make the whole thing "easier" and there is no way to do that. I certainly don't see it as a selfish act, at all. I just see someone who "ran out of oil and seized up". And presently I am just so, so sad that I missed a chance to maybe have made a difference. Which leads to me to another thing I hate about suicides... the need to tell someone bereaved that their intervention wouldn't have made any difference. Maybe they're right... but maybe, just maybe! they're wrong. No one will ever really know, will they?

Why did my sophomoric brain instantly think of Fall's Balls? C'mon, someone had to say it, didn't they?? I am fascinated by the geological formation, though. I'll be interested to reread the link more carefully.

I dug a huge peony at a house a friend is selling. While it isn't the ideal time to do it I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I don't know what color it is, but figure it's probably a white double. I put in two huge plantings and have another 2-3 large plantings to go (divisions with 2-3 eyes)... with no place to put them. I've put the word out to local friends... Saucy? Wendy? the remainder of the bounty is presently in a slurry in the wheelbarrow. I have little hope they'll bloom come spring, but once they've settled in they should be OK since they're pretty tough plants.

No Wrecking Crew today, but they'll be back tomorrow, lol. The cats were in "hog heaven" this afternoon capering around the yard while I struggled to cram as many peony divisions into the ground as I was able...

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Marian, sorry about your car. Never fun to have to do big fixes.

Cindy, yea! Aren't you glad to see the rain? The weatherman said it might hang around for a few days. I hope so, although it means eight muddy paws coming in from the yard. It will be worth it if we get a good soaker, won't it?

Woody, does Randy do that just to get a rise out of you? My DH would! Beautiful spot.

Cyn

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

I'm going to try and squeeze in a quickie post. I had my photography class last night which took up the whole evening - it's a little bit over a 1 hour drive to get there, but the instructor is a very good nature photographer, so it's worth the drive. Class was great but I started on my homework this evening and I'm wondering if I will ever get some of the settings figured out! How could it have worked in class and not at home?

Just as I thought we were dodging the bullet, my boss told me yesterday that I would have to take a pay cut for the winter. It's not as bad as what some others have had to deal with, but it still does not make me happy. Essentially, I'm giving back all of the raises I've gotten over the last six years, but none of the increased responsibility. DH was telling me in spring that I was very underpaid in my job; I don't think he will be happy to hear about the pay cut. (He's off moose hunting in far northern Ontario, so I have not talked to him since last Friday.)

On a happier note, I'm off to Las Vegas with DD this weekend. Yes, the plane tickets and hotel were all committed to/paid for before the pay cut was announced. Perhaps I'll hit the jackpot?

Well, that's enough grumping from me for right now. I need to play with the camera a bit more.

V.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Well that stinks V! I too have been in a grumpy state, but in trying to recover, I think about my visit with Skyler. He's 10 and we had a good time eating out at a Chinese restaurant. Well it came time for our fortune cookies and he wanted to read them all. He read all of them out loud, but put "on the toilet" at the end of each. It was fun to be ten once more!!! You know, "You will have great success ...on the toilet" etc etc etc.

I'm jealous about your photography course. The one I took last year was all talk and slides and no hands on practice or assignments. Annoying. It is a long process, nothing I can master in a 2 day class.

PM, pretty foliage on your hibiscus!

Chelone, I know what you mean about Kopper King and Kitchy names. I had trouble buying Hydrangea Twist & Shout for that reason. But I conquered the aversion...because I liked the fall foliage.

Marian, black bears are all I need here! We seem to have everything but bears and tigers. Yet, my friend a few kilometers away had a bear in her garden several years ago, and a baby bear was shot in the local school yard last spring. Some lesson for the little kids there! OY

They say our firewood will arrive tomorrow. Cross your fingers that our bridge and willow tree survive this truck driver!

'bug

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

It was 38 degrees on the back porch yesterday, and 33 this morning. I would have loved to have garden chores done by now. I never used to mind working in the chilly fall temps, but the last few years, I don't look forward to getting out there. Did you ever notice how cold the water in the hose is this time of year. Brrrr! Now I see they have forcast four days of rain starting this afternoon. So I know what I'll be doing this morning, 33 degrees or not.

Marian....nice to see a post from you. :-) You sound great! I am wondering what happened to the veggie plants that were planted on top of the car? Since you do mow your grass, I wonder if you have ever thought of borrowing the goat to eat the grass for you? They do eat grass don't they? You have quite a collection of wildlife in your backyard. Interesting watching through the windows I suspect.

Cindy....have you managed to get your ghetto plants in the ground? I would like to hear more about the Hobhouse DVD.

Brenda....leave it to you to do a quick 'fly by'. That brought a smile to my face this morning. It sounds so homey, thinking about the men in the fields harvesting the crops while you make hot soup. That could be a Campbell soup commercial. [g]

Denise....what's going on with your computer? DH has Vista on his laptop, because he has to be able to connect to work and had to have a PC. We hate Vista. I will be very tempted to update to the new operating system. We were thinking of going back to XP, but now that the new Windows 7 is getting good reviews, that seems the best way to go. I wonder what an upgrade will cost. .... Summary of what's going on in our garden? Well, we've lived here for 30 years. I had never gardened before and developed a new friendship with someone who had an organic vegetable garden shortly after moving here and found I loved it. Had little time to do more than veggies when the kids were growing up and had to stop that for about 5 years too. Then about 6 years ago, when the yard was completely overgrown, we started to renovate and pulled everything out. Our kids helped a lot. So I had a clean slate and started over. I've discovered that my passion for growing unfortunately did not come with the ability to visualize what something is going to look like and I end up having to move many plants a few times before I'm happy with it. So every spring and fall you will hear me talking about moving plants. [g]

Not a Survivor fan here. I watched a few episodes in season one and had to switch it off. I so much dislike the kind of self serving behavior and cutthroat competition it encourages, and the acceptance of that behavior. Now there are so many spawns of the program that no one gives it a thought. I am definitely a fan of cooperation and collaboration. When are they going to have a show about that? :-)

I saw a hawk yesterday gliding overhead very low, while walking along a street in the center of a nearby town and I thought about poor little Buttercup. I suppose Buttercup will always come to mind when I see a hawk now.

Is today the day Phoebe goes to the vet?

Denise and Kathy....glad you are getting rain! Four inches is a nice amount, Kathy. I see they are talking about mudslides again. You're not near that area, right?

Julie, our middle son lives further away and I can really identify with missing your adult kids.

Norma, with all that rain, your garden is going to look wonderful next spring!

Woody...quite a view from that look out point! Randy is very adventurous and looks very pleased with himself. Glad you continue to enjoy your day trips.

Marie....I was looking at Hydrangeas with DH and he could not stop snickering at 'Pinky Winky' Hydrangea paniculata. Such a pretty shrub with such an awful name.

Time to get a list started....have a great day.

• saucydog
    14 years ago

When it rains it pours in California! My goodness - I heard 6 inches had fallen in some places. Hope you are safe west coast friends!

V. it's hard to have such news and have to wait for your husband to finish with the moose excursion, I imagine. Stranger things have happened regarding the jackpot in Vegas.

I have been feeling pretty miserable and chalking it up to a cold and too much to do around here. It turns out that I had an ear infection and burst my eardrum. Now I can't hear on one side. The pain part always happened at night, so I just slept through it...waking sometimes but falling right back to sleep.

Today I am waiting on my new couch to be delivered. It was my splurge for the move. This afternoon I'll be waiting for the phone system to be installed at the office. I hope life gets back to normal soon. I feel very "up in the air" right now. My routine is messed up.

PM, I wish I could get out in the garden today before it rains. Make sure you wear layers that you can peel off as you get warmer. I hate being cold :)

Saucy

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

My car is 'toast' ! The computer has gone bad, and the additional repairs would bring the charges up to more than it is worth! So.... the next thing on the agenda is finding a replacemment. Friends are coming this forenoon to take me to town. I had a very restlees night, and am not looking foreward to the day....

• wendy2
    14 years ago

Ball's Falls, tee hee hee

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Sorry to hear about your car Marian. I hope you will be able to find just what you need. Car problems are no fun.

Saucy, hope you like your couch when it gets there. Thanks for the reminder about the layers. I have a light fleece jacket that does a good job. I have been out once already and got a few more things done. It wasn't too bad when the sun was out. I didn't warm up enough to take off any layers though and I haven't warmed up since I came in. [g] I have to get out there again, at least once, before it starts raining. I got that nice Hibiscus in the ground at least!

Chelone, I forgot to say, what a great stroke of garden luck, to inherit multiple peonies. To have enough to give away is surprising. With all the land you have, you can't find a place to put them all? :-)

Waiting to hear how the firewood delivery worked out, Marie.

Very sorry about the pay cut, V. That has to be hard to swallow. I guess the only thing to do is try to adjust. I have two friends with layoff problems. One who has been out of work and interviewing since June and another whose husband's company closed in June and is still not working. Is there anyone hiring out there? I'm worrying a little about DS's job. His company seems to be slowing down somewhat.

• denisez10
    14 years ago

Reading along but posting on Marty's eMac. The boys brought home a new desktop yesterday, preloaded with Vista of course, and I don't want to go near the Internet on it yet without loading all the antispyware stuff first. We just barely got all my files transferred from the old puter before it breathed its last gasp. Infuriating, this merry-go-round every couple years with a new computer. I've coined a word for it, technofascism, and you're all welcome to mutter it at your PC when necessary.

PM, thanks for the garden summary. Now I get it! I didn't mean to imply that it's unusual to move plants, far from it. I just moved a leycestria this morning to roomier digs. I do tend to squish plants.

Re photography, I'll try to be unemotional and concise ;) -- but watching my oldest pursue single-minded study and practice of this for the past ten years, and to see him have to constantly beat back requests to just give his images away for nothing, well, it is infuriating. We constantly discuss the new economic paradigm that's transforming journalism, music, images, how no one's figured out yet how a livelihood is again to be made in these areas. It is an exciting time, kind of a neo-Guttenberg era, fertile ground for the right ideas, but criminy it's frustrating too. Mitch had an interview with a newspaper editor, and he said the enormous command center/war room, rows and rows of desks with computers, phones, was empty except for a skeleton crew of maybe five people.

And I see that rant was completely off point and had very little to do with V and 'bug taking photography classes. I think I've built up some excess steam that was looking for any excuse to vent...What I'd really love is to have Chinese food with Skyler...

V, that pay cut stinks. Pay rates in my profession haven't increased in 10 years, and I've read wages across the board in the U.S. have been relatively stagnant, but to take a pay cut, oy...

Saucy, a burst eardrum! That's some pain tolerance you've got.

Rain probably measured less than an inch, nothing like NoCal, but it might as well have been a monsoon judging from the havoc on the freeways. Carry on...

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

V, so sorry about the paycut. I will be keeping my fingers crossed that you hit it REALLY big in Vegas! My salary was frozen this year, but a cut would have made things a little harder. Hang in there. There are some signs that things are getting better, but it will probably take a while to help most of us.

'bug-too funny about your excursion with Skylar! Takes me back to when DS John was 10. I still giggle at the thought of adding "on the toilet" to the fortunes. John will turn 30 this November-seems like yesterday that he was 10!

We finally got some decent rain. Thought it would go all day, but it has let up at this point. Hope more comes later and tomorrow and Saturday! Then, maybe I can get the rest of the plants in easily in the softened ground.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Cyn, DSIL tells me that if you are older than 10, you add "in bed" instead of "on the toilet".

OK, the wood arrived early this morning. It is supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow. We loaded up several wheelbarrows full and stacked wood on the front porch. We'd like to add a second row before dinner if there's a spare hour. My back needs a rest though.

Then we were off to the vet's. Joanne is my favourite no-nonsense one, that's why I scheduled with her. She says it is definitely the knee and that the ligament is stretched. She wants to avoid pain medication so that Phoebe doesn't try to overdo things. She is hopeful that the ligament will fix itself, but warns that we will have to keep her calm for 4 more weeks and then check in once again. I'm fine with this approach and have an appointment scheduled for November 15th now. Feel bad for the puppy though who SOOOO wants active play!

Yesterday they announced the closing of a local industry, an offshoot of a US firm. It is a plant that manufactures wire. Our friend is a manager there and this is going to be very hard I suspect. He and his wife and 2 sons relocated here from Quebec three years ago or so. He has not been attending French Club lately, but perhaps he'll show up this weekend and we can hear more. His wife has had such a hard time leaving her small village and moving away from family. I wonder what lies ahead for them... :(

Denise, that conversation takes place here as well. "We constantly discuss the new economic paradigm that's transforming journalism, music, images, how no one's figured out yet how a livelihood is again to be made in these areas." DH talks about fitting eyes at birth with bar codes so that authors can be paid. Anyway, it certainly is new times ahead!

Well now off to try and deal with the front wheel of the mower which is coming off. Never a dull moment.

'bug

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Ouch on both burst eardrums (Saucy) and pay cuts (V) and "volunteer" careers (Denise for Mitch).... I keep saying here, we're not doing volunteer work - if I wanted to do that, I'd be doing something I really enjoyed.... then you read the media buzz about more mega bonuses for the guys who made money trading options for their companies... and.... it can just lighte the fuse for all sorts of verboten political talk, right?

Saucy - I really am impressed w/ your pain tolerance levels - to sleep thru such pain (I recall that from childhood) -- wow - too bad you couldnt bottle and sell that. I hope it's feeling better and you got something for your cold (or flu?)... Cant wait to envision you on your new sofa (you deserve it) watching Gardener's Diary! I've taped the shows and have been watching a bunch that I never saw and I thought I was a faithful follower! Im pretty sure there are a batch of late ones that never made in the first round of old HGTV schedule in 2007 or thereabouts.

Yes - we have rain!! I'm happy for it, but hope it will be in moderation - I got about 6 shrubs/things planted last weekend so they may revive; the clems that are still nursery pot bound, are likely to stay there for the winter now.

V -- that is so typical isnt it? they cut folks; increase the workloads for the remaining, and then eventually start furloughing and cutting salaries for those survivors too -- and it makes you wonder why you thought you needed to stay... I hope to be a "survivor" of the RIF/buyout but know it's likely to be gruesome in reality of tasks, workloads and lack of $$... I had another 2 hour commute this a.m. that started whispering to me... "are u nutz".... but have no confidence there are real jobs for me out there right now...

Surviving in the workplace beats any TV reality show right now.

Yea - Denise got a new 'puter - she gave in to the technofascism.... I was listening to my Dad's rant last nite about 500 songs he downloaded from Rhapsody that are no longer usable to him -- sitting in a folder that cannot be unlocked to reply... the computer industry seems to be fraught w/ all these obsolete/ nontransferable things -- and as the malware proliferates and replicates on our computers... aaargh... what's the average joe to do?

I hope Deanne has not been caught in her decanting garage.... I have visions of her stuck in the garage surrounded by tropicals that wont let her go....

Wow, PM -- the thirties got your area? We're in the 40s... where did Autumn go? I dont recall ever having a one month autumn before..

well, the boss has interrupted my lunch here twice now; and I guess I better turn to those things he was bouncing around about... it's hard to shift back and forth between personal "blogging" and what happened on a business task that doesnt equate for him....

-cindy

14 years ago

Brrr! Cold and windy here today. Noisy too - the roof is being reshingled today and tomorrow, so we're hoping for the chance of rain in the forecast does not materialize. Misty is not happy with all the banging going on above her head - she's not keen on loud noises. I can even tell when it's noisy because the floors are vibrating....

V - the pay cut must be a hard pill to swallow, especially if there's no reduction in duties... I'd guess there might even be an increase in workload if some people are in a position to quit and others are demoralized enough to slack off and expect others to pick up the slack. ((V))

Marian - a dead car is a pain I'm sure. Looking on the bright side - at least it happened in the garage and also not in the middle of the winter, on the road somewhere! Good luck car shopping....

Saucy - Ouch! re the eardrum... I gather most of such perforations heal themselves in a few weeks. Is that what your doctor expects?

Randy got an e-mail this morning from someone he used to work with. After he read it, he said he was very happy to be here instead! I wonder if there's any workplace out there these days where morale has actually improved?!

• chelone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No takers for the surplus peony divisions yet. And I heartily concur with the comments on gardenng being downright COLD right about now. I had to relocated 5 clumps of an underperforming Hemerocallis (that I can't quite seem to jettison) to create a space for one clump of the mystery peony. The hose connection to the watering wand leaked and my gloves were soaked. My hands were cold, I was out of garden space (at least the full sun sort) and was increasingly peevish as the sun sank lower in the sky. But I survived! The helpmeet used the compressor to blow out the irrigation lines last night, so whatever I transplant from now on will require dragging the hose or lugging buckets of water. PM, I completely understand the rearrangement required by autumn!

I am working steadily but I'm paid hourly, so when I'm sick or kept home by a snowstorm there is no pay. Aside from a liberal employee discount on materials, a paid vacation, and a meagre employee match on a "retirement" plan, there are no "bennies". I've learned to plan for such eventualities and roll my eyes when I watch news stories about bloated compensation packages and obscene "bonuses" guaranteed by contracts... . NO patience for that sort of BS, whatsoever. Bernie Madoff should be paying the prison that now confines him, IMO. At least I'm still working and I have the ability to squeeze a dollar 'til it hollers; I've asked my boss if a paycut might make things easier and thusfar it's not been necessary, but if one means the difference between working and not, I'll figure out a way to absorb it. Life's a crapshoot, afterall, you guys! As for "working for free"... happens to me all the time. One's skill is often diminished in eyes that fondly recall Mom or Gramma sewing in the dining room.

Marian, you have my sympathy on the death of your car. It's not fun to have one "up and -hit the bed" on you. It's happened to me once and it was a total drag. I remember being really tnese about the whole thing, too. But you'll get new wheels and you'll be out there burnin' up the roads in no time, with Nolon riding shotgun. ;)

I plan to listen to, "Sinatra, Live at the Sands" in honor of V.'s trip to the neon Gomorrah. "Luck be lady, tonight!". Best to your daughter, too. (She would love the Wrecking Crew).

How do you shower with a perforated eardrum, Saucy? You must be terribly uncomfortable; I'd say that rates right up there with a badly scratched cornea; which is the most uncomfortable condition I've experienced. When there's no way to "get comfortable" the night can be very long. What's the prescription and how long before it mends?

Woody, fingers are crossed that the rain holds off for the roofing enterprise. The sooner that chore is behind you, the better. That sort of acivity would drive Rex nuts, but the cats might well be thrilled and on the roof supervising from a discreet distance.

The Crew is here again. :) I came home and was greeted by 3 vigorously wagging tails, and (get this!) NO jumping. !!! Everyone was capable of sitting (and maintaining the "sit") after a patient command; even when the front door was opened and left open prior to being released to go outdoors. And when we went to the Post Office everyone was capable of "Down" in the back of my wagon and maintaining it until the "OK!" was given which made backing up the car considerably easier. "Ike and Mike"/"Dumb and Dumber" (as the helpmeet has dubbed them) are presently "hanging out" in spite of repeated feline distraction. So we're plodding along toward a "comfortable" relationship where everyone knows the drill and everyone's needs are met. And they say beating your dogs is bad... get real.

I'll make sure to add "on the toilet" to the end of sentances now. This household is the last domain of the semi-adult. We laugh at burps and farts (still have to learn to light those) and all manner of sophomoric foolishness is regarded highly. Anyone needing a vacation from adulthood should come for a weekend. We'll make sure to serve beans and cabbage. :)

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Chelone, the only person I ever saw light a fart is now a high-ranking officer with the Moody Bible Institute in Chicago. Makes me laugh every time I think of it!

Very stressful day at the office as too many things converged too late in the day. Had to say farewell to a coworker who is being laid off for three months. *hit, I hired this guy 18 years and three companies ago - hard to say good bye and wonder if he will be back. In the meantime, the children who don't even have enough consideration to replace the toilet paper roll are still laughing and whispering in the front office.

I need a little break, don't I?

Denise, your rant on photography and other creative arts is dead on. I love the fact that digital technology allows me to be a much better photographer than I was with film, but I am concerned that true talent will be lost as we come to expect everything for free. (And please know that I don't include myself as "true talent" - I'm just an enthusiastic amateur who gets an occasional good shot.) I wonder almost daily why the newspaper that used to charge so much for print ads can't get anything better on its website "front page" than those annoying lower my bills ads. You know, the ones with someone dancing or whatever? So the paper that used to look classy in print looks trashy on line. I don't get it.

We once had Chinese at the office, and as someone was talking about the "in bed" joke, one of the guys opened his fortune cookie and his fortune said he seeks his own pleasure first. In bed. Yes, we laughed a lot at that one. That was back "in the good old days" when we all had lunch together.

I need to run to a church meeting and then pack for my trip. I probably won't post here again until Sunday or Monday. (Although there may be a FB photo or two posted - easy to do that!)

Have a great weekend. Even if I don't bring home a jackpot, I'll plan to bring back a happier attitiude!

V.

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

GOod evening

V - as one who was given similiar treatment I totally empathize with your pay cut situation. I'm so sorry this has happened to you.

Marian - sad to hear of your car situation and hope soemthing can be salvaged.

Saucy - I've heard of children perforating eardrums and always thought it sounded excruciating.

Tonight I am batch cooking (like Brenda) making Shepherds Pies. Some for ourselves, the other a thank you to our neighbors for our fridge. I have a delicious yellow cauliflower from the farmers market roasting in the oven too and treated myself to a mid-week glass of wine - Ahhhh... Another good thing - no where to drive this evening:0)

We love the new fridge and not having an ice maker is really no biggee. In fact I was thinking of things we never gave a second thought to growing up - filling the ice trays, getting out of the car to open the garage door and rising from the sofa to change TV channels, yet to do those things today in middle class America is almost inconceivable.

The chickens are adjusting nicely to the cool temperatures and the additional lights are keeping them laying. Fingers crossed - no more visits from the hawk though I always count the chicks with baited breath - reaching a sigh when I reach seven. We now have a steady 4 eggs a day and finally had enough to give away as gifts. We gave our first half dozen to David's bass teacher who comes out to the house for David's lesson - something that is certainly worth a good few eggs. Freshly laid eggs are such a novel thank you to someone !

When I close the little hen house up at night the keep the girls cozy I have such a sense of pride in something I made with my own hands (and in the dark I don't see it's imperfections). I love peeking in to see the chickens all lined up on their roosts, sleeping silently. But even more fun is watching them tumble out when I open the door in the morning, often to find a warm eggs already laying in the nesting box. I love my chickens:0)

Mary

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Post season baseball and WALATS tonight, the rain has stopped and its really quite warm out, though overcast. I have not bothered to check the weekend forecast , but co-workers are advising temps in the 80s. I hope to get all my recently purchased plants into the ground or containers as the case may be.

A chicken story from today.. an employee came upstairs to advise us that on of his new chickens laid her first egg yesterday. So I asked (thinking of Mary) "Do your chickens have names ? " Absolutely says he.. the last group ( didnt ask what became of the last group, lol) was named after presidential wives ( Eleanor, Hillary,LadyBird etc) and the new girls are named after presidential daughters-Amy, Chelsea, Malia and Sasha ..Nice touch !

Marian, Im so glad you came over to see us- fall would not be complete without some pics of your wonderful trees on the Idylls. What a bummer about your vehicle..I hope you can find a reliable and decently priced replacement. I bet this is a very optimum time to purchase a car if one has to do so.

V , I had a pay cut this fall too, and have no expectations of it being restored until at least late spring of next year. I think many people at my company are pretty glad that they still have a job. We are all worried about what this winter will bring.

Mary, you rock.

I need to pay attention to the ballgame so a wave , and signing off

Kathy in Napa

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Kathy, so nice of you to be watching my Phillies (grew up outside Philadelphia-nice to be able to cheer for a team again)! Teehee.

Cyn

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

The weather here has been just plain crummy. We had snow last Saturday and either snow or rain every day this week. The sun is awol. Ive not done a thing in the garden. Some of the perennials are hanging in there despite temps as low as 20. Ive got serious cleanup to do. Of course the harvest has come to a stand still.

My fingers are crossed that we will get to spend the day with Kenzie tomorrow. I found out just today that she flew home with her dad, but they are leaving again on Saturday. Things arent as sunny in Florida for DD and her husband.

Im sorry to hear about V and Kathy having to endure pay cuts. Our business is surging and Im thinking I need a decent bonus this year. People may be cutting back, but not on cable TV or internet. Landline phone service is another thing though.

Marian, car repairs are just the pits. I hope you can find a reasonably price good one.

Mary, what an uplifting post from you. Im glad you have something that daily gives you so much joy.

PM, Im jealous of your Kopper King Ive wanted one for several years and either havent found one locally or they want more than I want to pay. 50% off sounds right up my alley. I didnt realize they get such great fall color.

I know there was much more I could comment on but its late, Id best hit the hay.

Michelle

A few more fall shots
    {{gwi:183915}}
    I like the way 'Diablo' and 'Fireworks' play together.
    {{gwi:183917}}

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Mary, as I read your post I realized that my bees aren't as warm and fuzzy as chickens :) They sound like perfect "girls". It is nice to hear you happy.

It is snowing here this morning. Too early for this mess. I haven't even cleaned up my summer fun yet.

My ear has hurt more since I started the antibiotic (Augmentin twice a day, Chelone). It was uncomfortable, but honestly, I thought it was a stuffed up eustachian tube from the cold I had. My doctor declared me stoic when she looked inside. Yes, Woody, it is supposed to heal within 3 weeks...and if it doesn't I'll see an ENT specialist.

Cindy, a two hour commute and a hovering boss for lunch are just no fair.

Denise, I'm so sick of buying techno junk because something else is now deemed obsolete. I keep thinking of the way we're just tossing things away. My cell phone is not that old and still in good condition, but all the chargers and paraphernalia that goes with it is hard to find (you have to scour the internet for it). All I wanted was a car charger.

Michelle, how great to get to see Kenzie unexpectedly. Sorry to hear things are not so good in FL.

I'd better go and eat my breakfast. I have a handyman supposed to show up here this morning and take care of some unfinished projects.

Saucy

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Good morning

Michelle - your gardens are so lovely at this time of year (as they are at any other). I love seeing them. Wonderful that you might have an unexpected day with Kenzie but sad if things are hard for your DD.

Part of me is hoping for rainy weather this weekend as I have a couple of craft projects my fingers are itching to get started on. One of them is a miniature Day of the Dead offering - perhaps one of my matchbox series.

The other is to make needle felted sculptures of the chickens. I have wool roving in all their colors. I am starting something of a chicken collection (indoors) and thought they would be a nice addition. This is NOT what I had in mind LOL but is somehow wierdly wonderful.

{{gwi:183919}}

Mary

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Oh Mary! Chicken Man is a HOOT! Seems to have lost his head, yet is puffed up with pride.

Michelle, I am so sorry to hear that life in Florida has its woes. These hard times are just what a mother does not want for her daughter and family. It really distresses me to hear this news and I'm sure affects you strongly. I sure hope you get to squeeze in time with Kenzie...because that relationship is a blessing! Now about your fall photos! I LOVE that first shot. What a beauty!

Saucy, get well quickly please! Between the move and the pain, no wonder you feel unsettled.

And Marian, do report back on your car search. I hope a sensible vehicle turns up for you soon...or maybe a little red Corvette? Hehehe.

Yesterday was filled with activities that annoyed me and took time away from what I wanted to be doing. So more wood was stacked, the wheel removed from the mower and so on. But today will be more of the same and I won't get to complete work on Ivy's little sweater, won't get to tidy up for Saturday's company. etc etc. We had helpful company for the wood stacking, but the kind of person who expected dinner afterwards and didn't know to leave until after 10PM. He will return today too. Le sigh.

On the bright side, there is sun where rain had been forecast. An orange and white cat has been seen lurking near the barn and 16 turkeys crossed the bridge last week!

Guess I must get going...

TGIF...which now means fond thoughts of Sue!
    'bug

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

TGIF as well to all!

Cant see Mary's pic of her latest project that I see 'bug has declared Chicken Man - my mind is pondering its implications.... is it part of the matchbox series, LOL?

Im going to be happy for the rain again this weekend and that it may allow me to slug - I seem to need more of that than usual lately....

Cyn - we seem to share some more similarities -- I too grew up outside of Phila (Rosemont/ then Malvern) and my immediate family still resides there -- I was once an avid follower of the Phillies but have never been much of a sports fiend and outgrew even them.... Now, Philadelphia Hoagies I fondly dream about and usually indulge in when I ride up there - and have been known to bring back on the return trip (to say nothing of plants too, LOL).

Michelle -- more glorious photos - it took me a minute to realize that was the shed and not the house -- how beautiful and large the borders surrounding the shed have grown! I too can only imagine the worry you feel re the Florida issues -- I know that state has taken a really really hard hit in most areas from homes to jobs - I will hope something works out well for them -- but we Moms can never stop worrying can we? I hope you get to see Kenzie - even if it has to be at 11 at nite!

They are having an appliance recycle day here at the awfice but I couldnt see carrying an old tv or computer stuff on the metro, LOL... cell phones were the sole toting I did - but it is good they are doing it, even if it doesnt reap a lot -- it's amazing all that obsolete stuff that clutters one's house because it's too hard to find a good place to remove it to....okay, time for the clocking thing.

-cindy

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Keeping Phoebe calm has proven to be quite the exercise when this is her view out the window...

{{gwi:183920}}

• candy_j
    14 years ago

Amazing what transpires on a thread with just a few day absence, geez! To copy a phrase, this would definitely qualify as a drive by post. After having company last weekend I came down with a head cold like I havent had in yearsugh. Head felt the size and weight of a pumpkin, watery eyes and all the other typical symptoms. Energy level is zero but Im hoping to get back to normal routine in the next couple of days. I see lots of activity on some other threads, too, which Ill check out when all the nose blowing abates!

Hi to Marian and I hope your find a solution to the car situation quickly. Weve been dealing with an unexpected repair here among other things; great timing to make the whole week an avalanche of events but, they are just an inconvenience compared to those dealing with far more serious issues. Thinking of Woody and Randy and sending good thoughts.

Mary, sorry you lost Buttercupwondering if the hawk is still around? Your projects sound interesting, Ill be hoping for photos!

Gb, what a darling baby!..must be a granddaughter since I also see a thread with the word Nana.

Vhate hearing about the pay cut, its such a blow and doesnt do anything for company morale. Have fun on your trip, take a lucky charm or something with youcant hurt! Cindy, hope your office situation evens out to lessen the daily stress.

All the wonderful fall pictures makes me think our color will be minimal this year. There has been so much moisture either from rain, heavy mist or drizzle that everything is just going brown. After several years of beautiful sunny Octobers, this is depressing. I believe weve only had 3 days this month with "partly sunny" weather. The gardens are a wet tangled mess and I havent been able to get out and do a thing.

Sorry to miss anyone but my head is starting to droop

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Good morning...it snowed here this morning too! Only briefly, but still. lol I got as much done as possible outside yesterday and now with 4 days of rainy weather forecast, time to get other things done. I need a custom shade for my kitchen window, a new storm door on the front of the house, and on it goes.

We had some excitement today. DD found herself face to face with Ben Afleck this morning as they were filming for his new movie. One of the crew asked if she would be an extra in the movie for the morning and she had to say NO! She normally might have time to take a morning off to do something like that, but today she had a deadline at work that no one could do but her. She just took it in stride and didn't sound all that disappointed. I told her I hope she told her boss she missed being in a movie this morning because she is so committed to her job. [g] It was a fun morning for her, I think she was a little late for work. :-)

Love the sight of all those wild turkeys, marie. Poor Phoebe. Poor you. lol

Loved your post about how much you are enjoying your chickens, Mary. So nice to hear. How often do any of us have that much pleasure on a daily basis?

Saucy, I forgot to say how awful it was about your ear. I think unconsciously I skipped over it because some things like that make me a little squeamish. DD jumped into water from a low bridge on the Cape once and did the same thing to her ear. It gives me the shivers just thinking about it. You are very stoic! Hope it will heal quickly.

I am composing my annual 'winners and losers' entry into my garden journal today. My HayRack composition was a hit and a long stretch of moss has developed along a back border that makes me very happy. In the losers column, I think I am done with Calendula and maybe I am going to take a break from Four OClocks. Anyone else have winners and losers to share?

Ok...have to run. YES! It's Friday again! I do miss Sue too.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Oh...I was rushing, I forgot, Michelle, if the Kopper King produces seed next year, I will save you some. I also love that first photo! Great shadows and clouds in the sky, very interesting shot. So sorry to hear about stormy weather in Florida. Hope it is just a passing squall. They better make sure you get to see Kenzie before she has to go home tomorrow!! :-)

14 years ago

Randy likes high places and is having lots of fun going up on the roof checking on the progress of the reshingling....
    {{gwi:183921}}

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Thanks to all for the sympathy and encouragement on my car woes. I am back home with the same car. The only clitch that I noticed was a couple of 'hiccups' as I climbed Gaither Mt. I drove it between 40-50 miles after getting it from the shop. I have an appointment wednesday with an individual that specializes in car computers. He will check it out, and I will go from there. I would really like to keep it. It is my alltime favorite car.

Candy, I sort of agree with your analysis, but I have an 83 year old husband that depends on me for most everything, and we live 23 miles from town, in the boonedocks! He is not well, and neither am I. If we lived in town it would be no worry for me. It would be much easier to get transportation when my vehicle was disabled. I might even be close enough to walk if necessary. There is no where to walk to here !

Marie, I love your turkey pic. We hear them but seldom see them. The bear in the neighborhood does not worry me, but it does our 2 cats. I am not concerned about it/them getting in to our house. If it were warm weather, and a screen was all that was there to stop them, then it might be a concern. A bear will not jump through a window, but a deer might!

Chelone, I like goats just fine, if they are confined where they belong. They are much worse than deer for the damage they can do. They will even get on top of vehicles. Deer will not do that. And goats are very hard to confine.
    I agree with you on the "running out of gas" but there are two things that have prevented me from taking that route. The top priority is my faith, and the second is my family. I could not do that to them. I know several who are living with the loss of a family member that way...it is much too cruel to them. And, in your cases, they were 'family' to you.

Mary, sorry about the loss of your hen. Do you plan to add to your flock eventually? I kond of wish we still had chickens, but the fence is all rotted down and gone, and the house is headed the same way. There is no way we could have them without those protections here.

Susan, you have my greatest admiration for your attitude. And I am proud of Randy's also. I am glad his mom is safely in a nursing home where she can get the proper care. It is generally harder on the caregiving mate than on the patient when they are in their own home......when it is a case like hers.

Pm2, it you had been with me yesterday morning you would have changed your view on how I sounded. :-( I was becoming a basket case.

I will not likely have much fall colors to share with you this year. The Ginkgo is gorgeous, but most everything else suffered too much loss in the January ice storm. And the cool wet weather is not good for the colors either.

Saucy, are you still having hearing loss from the eardrum problem? Sorry about the pain. I seem to remember having that happen many years ago. I do have diminished hearing in my left ear.

Hi to all my FaceBook friends....:-)

Marian

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Cindy, no kidding?! I grew up in Gladwyne. We need to get together sometime-maybe at a nursery...Hoagies and chees steaks are definitely worth the trip up there. I am always bringing back the Philadelphia rolls to make our own-can't get that bread around here. I know what you mean about the teams. I only follow when they make it to the playoffs, except for football-love that. Very upset that the Eagles took Vick, though. Have only been here for 20 years-not quite long enough to become a Redskins fan. Guess I'll stick with the Packers (born in Marinette, left before I turned two) this year. Although Favre was something to watch in that first game against Green Bay! Hope you get to put your feet up and relax tonight and all weekend!

Mary, just saw our hawk. No wonder the birds are in hiding. She/he hangs around during the spring and fall migration-at least that is when I see him/her the most. wish he would grab the squirrels instead of the birds.

Saucy, hope the ear is less painful at this point.

Woody, why do our DHs want to get up on the roof? Must be that y chromosome. I told mine no more climbing up unless I am home, but did he listen? Hah. Oh well.

Michelle, love the fall pitures.

Mary, your chicken is so funny. Nice legs!

Hope everyone has a lovely Friday evening and weekend.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Take That, you Phillies fans !

A pleasant WALAT this evening and I almost (just almost ) feel guilty posting about the fabu weather we are having in view of the early snows that are having their way with my NE friends. I hope we hear from Deanne this weekend- she must be in an absolute frenzy to get everything that is a keeper safely stowed. I brought home a roll of row cover today so I can start rigging up my succulent and tropical area outside. Some of the stuff will be brought in, but others are too big and unwieldy.

Lol Candy, you have discovered a basic feature of the Idylls- if you are away for a few days it is hard to catch up with our verbosity ! I hope you get to feeling better post haste ..head colds are the pits but I am grateful that I dont seem to be susceptible the flu. Port and Mexican food seem to work well for the cold here. Green tea too-after the Port.

What Mary said Michelle, I just love your gardens. I also want to send good vibes out to your DD and family; I have been dealing with my DDs woes for the last year or so and it is so very unpleasant, and hard to accept . One raises children with the expectation that they will do better but in this economy nothing is assured.

Marian, glad to hear that the horseless carriage may be pulled back from the grave- hopefully it is not to big a financial hit to get her up and running again.

Hope Saucy is feeling better, Cindy is in full slug-prep , Phoebe is sleeping , V is hitting the jackpot !

Thats all for me tonight, I have some chores and list making to do..

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Well Kathy, we've had a fire in the fireplace, the rosemary is covered, the wood is almost all stacked away, the potting bench has been hoisted into the garage for winter, the repaired tire was put back on the mower. Phoebe is out for her evening walk with DH and I am avoiding a second load of dishes. Tomorrow is dessert making day in preparation for our French Club in the evening. The weather was crisp but sunny today and that was a real treat! There were loads of fish in a huge school under our bridge too. :)

The checkout lady at the store today asked me to put up the "closed" sign. She was going home early. By the time she finished my order she was in a flood of tears. She apologized, but said she just couldn't hold it together any longer. Her father was diagnosed with a bad outcome in the Hamilton Hospital and her husband was coming to collect her to go see him. Her children were all settled with friends. I still am thinking of her and know there are no words of comfort. I don't even know her by name but feel a bond. Many of us have traveled that same road...

Off to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
    'bug

• chelone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have a run to the transfer station planned for this morning where several metal items will be added to the scrap pile. I will drop the remaining peony divisions off to the neighbor of a friend who's thrilled to receive them. Then off to pay a bill at the lumber yard. Then I will be home to receive some stuff we're storing for a friend who's heading to Florida for the winter. And then the final lawn mowing of the year.

Michelle, I love the shot of your gardens with the shed in the background, a very pretty perspective of your truly lovely gardens! I thought of you yesterday and wondered if you'd had a day with Kenzie. Let's hope the sun once more shines on Florida! what a worry for you.

I would like to know the outcome of Phoebe's visit to the vet., I can't imagine keeping her quiet is any fat lady's dream. And I see that since there was school of fish under the the bridge it's still intact following the delivery of firewood. That's a good thing, though the news of the grocery lady's father is not. Never seems to be any shortage of tragedy somewhere in our worlds, does there?

I see the weather held for roofing work, how many days of it do you anticipate, Woody?

Time to get my list together for the transfer station, methinks.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Just finished my fourth cup of tea this morning-one more than usual, but I have been lazy. The cold rain continues to fall. No complaints about the rain, just not ready for the cold tepmperatures! Didn't even walk the pups this morning. They have had to content themselves with the yard.

Kathy, those of us from the Philadelphia area know better than to count on any of our teams! LOL. Last year's series win was an aberration, I fear. Glad the playoffs aren't a run-away. Much more fun when it goes to the wire.

'bug, your story made me want to hug your grocery store checker. That's the thing about this human race of ours-we all share many of the same personal losses, cares, and joys. Not so different as some would have us think.

Speaking of which, how is Phoebe?

Sounds like you have a busy day ahead, chelone. Hope you are having one of those spectacular New England fall days!

Since half the day is gone, I suppose I really should do something constructive. My project for the rainy weekend is organizing a lot of junk/stuff we moved here when we cleaned out my parents' house last year. So hard to decide what to keep and what to toss. Most everything needs to be put into new boxes. Some things should be sold because I'll never use them, but where to sell? No idea. Maybe an auction for some things, maybe the trash, maybe donate. What a pain. Oh well.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Oh dear! I lied. Decided I should get some new plastic boxes for storage...one website search led to another to another (ADD is so not pretty!) and now I have ordered three new azaleas from RareFinds. They were just so pretty...and on sale...and what can I say?

Hope everyone else is having a more productive day-except for cindy who should be just lying around and not feeling guilty about it!

• chelone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Peony divisions were left on the doorstep of the recipient.
    Air conditioners (2), the old reel mower, the empty gas tank are at the transfer station.
    Friend's boxspring and mattess are in the bahn.
    His couch and love seat are in the storage unit.

BIG seas today, ladies! you can tell there is foul weather elsewhere... big rollers and breakers tell me crummy weather is coming our way for tomorrow.

I have mown the Fertile Cresent and am prepared to make my move on Sanitary Ridge and possibly the south lawn. There are multiple "trail traps" to put a damper on my intense cardio work out... the Wrecking Crew could probably -hit on a dime. They drop a load at the first opportunity which is good if one has to bag it, but a total drag if you don't! YUCK.

Cyn., I hear ya on the junk thing. I am awash in it but am making headway. I have decided packrat tendancies (ditto the helpmeet) and have another entire house full to the eves with more "stuff". The helpmeet doesn't understand my need to go through all the stuff carefully and my brother can be brusque about it, too. But for me it's important to do that; a "closure" thing, to be sure. And I couldn't agree with you more about wanting to hug the grocery checker. I will be going about my merry way, perfectly fine, and then hear a song or think of something and bubble over thinking about my friend and how overwhelmed he was by his own circumstances. We never know what sort of dreadful thing has just happened to someone we encounter during the day. The upshot of it all is that I find I'm more forgiving of someone else's "bad day", but am more inclined to confront mean spiritedness and needless cruelty. Not sure if that's an "age thing" or the result of a few hard years worth of "dope slaps".

As a Red Sox fan I'm well schooled in disappointment. ;) But when they play crummy ball they deserve to go home early. I'm pulling for the Dodgers, Kathy... . NOTHING will ever top 2004 for us, I'm afraid. Watching those smug Yankee fans gape in disbelief when the Sox came from 3 games down was definitely as good as it ever gets. :)

OK, I have to get back to the lawn thing before it's too late.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

I did some "lawn thing" this morning, also washed hair and cleaned myself up for this evening's event. Lunch is over with and poor Phoebes really has had it with the squirrels teasing her outdoors. "squirrel" is definitely a part of her vocabulary. "turkey" isn't yet...

I was pretty sick last night and somehow was limping this morning. How can you mash up your foot in your sleep? Anyway, I'm better now but it made for a slow start to the day. The three cats all have started sleeping in bed with us...which is a bit much for me, but not much I can do about it. They plant themselves firmly between us and will not budge. Hrmph.

Chelone, you have reminded me of Highschool Ancient History class where Mrs Schafer taught me. One thing we had to do was draw maps and I loved that. Mesopotamia and the Fertile crescent were featured at one point. Now she was some teacher. Because she had rheumatoid arthritis, she paid an aid out of her own pocket to assist her with many things. She taught us how to outline, to speak in public and other life long skills. She was both emotional and firm. She called a spade a spade and woe to you if you were the object of her wrath! She was particular about using correct words for every situation, something very difficult for me with my mixed language background. Or at least that's my excuse.

Time for the transfer station now and also time to pick up a few things I forgot at the store yesterday...like cat litter. The things I assume DH has done and, well, didn't. Need to scrape DH off the couch and get something accomplished. The sun is shining and I hope Woody and Randy are outside with Misty admiring their new roof.

'bug

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Hi all, We had brief sunshine this morning so The dogs and I took a hike. I walked around and said farewell to the flowers as I'm pretty sure they will get hit tonite.
    We are to go to a barn dance at the neighbors tonite. Going to have to dress warm thats for sure. I need to get my hair washed too Bug. I'm waiting for "The Eagles Long Road out of Eden" to finish playing.
    I wonder what the deal was with your foot.
    Jasmine is back to sleeping inside again but not Niki yet. She will sleep outside until I know I can trust her in the house. She is spending more time in with us during the day and does ask for the door when she wants out.

Way to go girls on getting things cleared out. I need to make some headway here on that sort of thing.
    We will be doing leaves again soon. Not my favorite outdoor chore for sure.
    Still waiting to hear if Michelle got to spend time with Kenzie.

Ok, musics done gotta get this mop washed because it takes forever to dry throughly.

Norma

• chelone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Norma, it's been a lot colder than it usually is at this time of year and with the wind off the water, it's been COLD. Today is absolutely beautiful, crystal clear sky, quite breezey, and chilly. But properly dressed and physically active it's been nice. Tomorrow is supposed to be overcast, raw, and rainy (a northeaster).

I mowed the lawns and cleaned up 5 "trail traps", stepped in at least one, too. Good thing the grass was long and pretty wet, lol. ;) The mongrel horde has had a fabulous afternoon. And the little methane factories (I hate dogs) are sacked out behind me as I type.
    They've explored the "woods".
    They've wrestled on the lawns and in the driveway. They have never surrendered...
    They've waded in our little wallow. And wrestled in there, too.
    They've been next door to retrieve balls in the deep pond.
    We've practiced our basic commands.
    They've been beaten several times.
    They are soaked and resting until dinnertime.

Spencer is back in the Puffy Box Bed, Vera has been sleeping under the duvet, and Polly has been sleeping in the wing chair. Everyone is moving into "winter mode".

I was always fascinated by Mesopotamia. The Hanging Gardens of Babylon, The Arabian Nights, Persian carpets, beautiful mosques, Arabian horses, and culture full of art, delicacy, and elegance. What a beautiful and fascinating place the Middle East must be. Our world is a wondrous place; I like that the internet makes is smaller and more accessible.

Take care of your paw, 'bug. Are you sure it doesn't just hurt so you'll be in sympathy with Feebles?

Part of "winter mode" for me is a desire for cheese and crackers... see ya later. ;)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

chelone, you accomplished a lot more than I today. Everytime I start to go through things, I end up looking yet again at the old photo albums from the 30s and 40s, reading old letters, wondering how I can throw away the little, old, black hat and shawl that must have been widow's wear back in the 19th century, etc. If it is raining again tomorrow, I WILL get a lot packed up!

You are so funny about your 'mongrel horde' (the term is hilarious in and of itself).

'bug, maybe the cats slept on top of your foot! All that dead weight...

Norma, hope the barn dance was fun!

Time for a glass of red and maybe a fire tonight-can't believe it is chilly enough for that here this time of year!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?