Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

A visit to the Mendocino County Coast..Part 1

dodgerdudette
14 years ago

I hope you all enjoy this virtual visit with me.

My base of operations,the Agate Cove Inn.

{{gwi:184365}}

The next few pics are all from the Mendo Coast Botanical Gardens, a great destination for IU7

{{gwi:184366}}

{{gwi:184367}}

{{gwi:184368}}

{{gwi:184369}}

Loved this combo

{{gwi:184370}}

Driftwood is often a feature on the north coast

{{gwi:184371}}

The fabulous heather garden

{{gwi:184372}}

One of the volunteers

{{gwi:184373}}

I had a Mary moment here !

{{gwi:184374}}

Gaudy Dahlias

{{gwi:184375}}

{{gwi:184377}}

A scene from the village of Mendocino

{{gwi:184378}}

The Pacific

{{gwi:184379}}

Kathy in Napa

Comments (16)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Kathy, the view in photo #1 is so gorgeous! You did a good job trying to capture it but I have a feeling a photo just couldn't do it justice. Was it breezy there and is the ocean smell strong? Photo #4 --Verbena? Are those water pitchers in the pond? I really love that combo with the angelina sedum too. What is with it, Cimicifuga? Driftwood is one of my favorite garden additions. I wonder why you get so much of it there on the west coast? Very pretty moss. Not a variety I think I've seen before. Love the color of that chair. Orange Dahlias are huge! Your last two photos are very well done. Very interesting compositions. I hope you feel refreshed! I'm glad you are enjoying your camera and it's wonderful to have so many photos to preserve the memory of such a special trip. I can imagine you looking at them many times this winter. :-)

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Oh I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait!

Beautiful Kathy! Secret Idyll Missions could keep you busy all winter long :)

Maybe I could fly out and help a little?

Saucy

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Wow,, wow, wow!!!! gorgeous images of one of our 2010 destinations. Can't wait. Thanks for taking the time to take these pics and sharing them with us. Wonderful pics.

Deanne

• anitamo
    14 years ago

Thank you for bringing these beautiful images to us. You are gifted in your photo taking ability. What I wouldn't do for a daily view like the first picture. It looks like you're having a Fabu! time.

• chelone
    14 years ago

Unhuh! I'm not takin' the bait, thanks.

Doesn't exist, I know damn right well, you took those shots somewhere south of me and you simply reversed the "negatives".

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

It looks like a fabulous place to relax and unwind. The first picture is gorgeous and the botanical garden has some great combos.

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Beautiful Kathy. I can't decide if that is a plant or a sculpture in photo #3. Can't quite read the sign.
    The pitchers in the water feature seem to be singing. Perhaps inviting the idylls to "come on over".
    LOL at the lime green chair reminding you of Mary.
    In the village scene there is a corncrib looking structure. Is that what it was used for? Perhaps drying of something else.

Norma

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone- Norma , that is in fact a sculpture in the 3rd pic.The structure you are looking at is actually a water tower..there are many in the village. This was the source for fresh water in the early days- I imagine they captured rain water in winter and brought it in from fresh water sources inland.

lol Saucy, c'mon over ! I'll drive and you can charm the garden owners with your pleasant southern drawl...

Kathy in Napa

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

It's all been said...just spectacular. Loved the pictures on the Idyll post, too!

Cyn

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Ditto what Cyn just said! Looking forward to IU7! Thanks for the scouting trip, Kathy.

V.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I failed to answer a couple of the questions posted here, and will do so nowÂ

PM, that is Anthriscus ÂRavenswingÂ, one sees very little Cimicifuga here Âtoo dry in the summer I think. There was no wind during my weekend , this is why fall is a great time to travel to the coast, less fog, no wind. The characteristic Âleaning of the Cypress trees are a result of those winds which are very strong in winter an early spring.
    Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

I am one of those who must remove vast quantities of Anthriscus ÂRavenswing which spreads uncontrollably here.

I believe photo #4 is a form of Angelica, not verbena.

I enjoyed the friendly volunteer, and yes, I too thought of Mary. LOL.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes 'bug, that is Angelica in #4...there were a couple of grouping featuring this in the gardens.

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Woohoo! You are the best scout, Kathy!!! Photo ops and all -- we can look at these all winter and be overcome with anticipation....

I definitely vote this must be on the itinerary!!

-cindy

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Thanks for the ID on the Angelica, Marie and Kathy.

Kathy, I am wondering what that purple plant is that is at the base of the windmill in the photo of Mendocino village?

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

PM, that is a Tibouchina. They are somewhat common in that area..

K