Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanneart

Winding down

deanneart
17 years ago

The season is winding down here and all the containers on the patio are history. It's so sad to see it all end but I'm already planning for next year. LOL

This abutilon/plectranthus/alyssum/coleus container was one of my favorites from this year and I'm already thinking on how I can improve it for next year.

{{gwi:184386}}

{{gwi:184387}}

This begonia has been lovely the last month or so. I'm thinking I'm going to just take the whole pot and put it in the basement for the winter and see if I can keep it dormant.

{{gwi:184389}}

{{gwi:184390}}

The fuchsia standard is now just a trunk with four inch sticks out of the top. That was a tough one to cut back!

{{gwi:184391}}

I covered the dahlias last night so have saved them for another week or so.

{{gwi:184392}}

{{gwi:184393}}

{{gwi:184394}}

This Fuchsia 'Lena' with Ajuga 'Caitlan's Giant' is just fantastic now.

{{gwi:184395}}

{{gwi:184396}}

{{gwi:184397}}

This container is all gone now.

{{gwi:184399}}

Soon these pictures will be all that is left of the '06 garden season.

Deanne

Comments (13)

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Oh Deanne, this thread makes me sad! As I went through it I kept saying "Oh I love that one" over and over. You did such a great job, just the best I can imagine. It must have been so difficult to pull these beautiful containers apart. But then I do look forward to what you come up with next year. Each year your containers just get better and better even though it seems it's not possible after seeing the ones here. Thanks for being such an inspiration to me. You're the best!

Eden

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Beautiful ! What is the abutilon ? I like the upward facing flowers. And what a fantastic Dahlia--that pinky-peachy blush one.
    Kathy in the Napa Valley

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Sigh....
    -melancholy baby

• oakleif
    17 years ago

Dearnneart,
    When we lived in Mass. and in apartments. I grew
    begonnias as indoor houseplants all year long. Could'nt get my hands really dirty but it was fun.
    vickie

• deanneart
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Eden, you are so sweet! It made me very sad too. I've started cutting down all the coleus on the plants that were in the front garden too. Boo hoo... I just have to focus on all the fun I'll have growing babies in the house all winter.

Kathy, that is Abutilon 'Bella' Hybrid. I have several shades of peach and one yellow of that series and love them all. The dinnerplate dahlia, peachy/blush one, is called 'Breakout'. I absolutely love this dahlia as the color changes quite a bit and the centers can be soft yellow when the temps are warmer than they are now.

Deanne

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Just gorgeous, Deanne -- good thing you have photos to look back on during the winter months too - not sure how I can see how you could possibly improve on these combinations, but you're the artiste! so I bet you're amaze us even more next year.

Really wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

-Cindy

• just_t
    17 years ago

It seems that you were just starting to see the new growth and blooms appear.....how does the time and seasons pass so quickly? I know you'll be busy this winter with your plants in the basement and the planning for next years' displays (in the garden and in the containers). I enjoyed seeing the photos.....thanks. :)

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

BOO HOO! BOO HOO! BOOOO HOOOO!

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

It is sad isn't it. Everything is looking so great and then the end comes. Although, I'm afraid I would get burned out on gardening if it were year round. Also, my house would never get cleaned ;o)
    Great pictures though, you have lots going on the in the perennials beds yet too.

Michelle

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Deanne, your combinations are always inspiring me. I hope the things I am wintering over survive so I can try some new combos. The terraces still look good. And the Dalhias are beautiful. Norma

• drema_dianne
    17 years ago

Hi Deanne..great pictures. I am going to try to save my fuschia this winter. I started dismantling pots last weekend. I love your red one... and your containers are just gorgeous. Do you bring in the abutillion? Mine didn't do a lot this year, but it was the first time I have had them, and I think they need more sun.

D.

• wendy2
    17 years ago

Oh Deanne, so sad to see all that beauty disappear. At least you have all of your pics to look back on. I can't wait to see what you come up with for next year!

Re: the begonia, let the frost nip the begonia leaves, cut back to the soil, then bring it in. You may want to dig up the corm to make sure there is no stem left on it to rot, then store it like dahlia. The tuber should re-sprout with a little bit of bottom heat in March or so.

Drema, abutilon are easy to overwinter, you can hack them way back.

• deanneart
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Drema, Wendy is right, the abutilon are really easy to winter over. I prune them to about six to ten inches, strip off all the leaves, rinse off all the old soil off the roots, repot in fresh soil and put it under the lights.

Wendy, thanks for the info about wintering over the begonia. I'm going to give that a try.

Deanne

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure