Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

Join me for a Late October Walk

gardenbug
17 years ago

Today has been very odd in terms of weather. Every five minutes something new is going on, be it rain, sun or snow. Here are some familiar scenes for you, but the sky makes them a little more unusual than before I think.

First the barn...

{{gwi:184506}}

The Amsonia contrasts nicely with Sedum Purple Emperor these days.

{{gwi:184507}}

The fruit on the Euonymus europeus is always fun and bright.

{{gwi:184508}}

Down in the flats the hostas have changed colour but I haven't got round to pruning off the leaves yet.

{{gwi:184509}}

Near the bridge the rose hips are still going strong:

{{gwi:184510}}

The ornamental grasses really delight me at this time!

{{gwi:184511}}

This one is Miscanthus Huron Sunrise, a gift from Janie. I wonder what ever became of dear Janie!

{{gwi:184512}}

Here you see that the corn has been harvested and now you can see the gravel pit behind. :-(

{{gwi:184513}}

Soon we will have workmen here to deal with water seepage issues, so this is the 'before' photo of the patio area.

{{gwi:184514}}

A shot I don't usually take- from the main bathroom window. NouNou cat likes this view alot.

{{gwi:184515}}

Today is the peak day for the Tamarack trees. Their golden colour makes your heart skip a beat!

{{gwi:184516}}

Now just look who showed up for a surprise vist! I managed this photo from the upstairs window...in "Sue's room". Later we saw two more and a baby.

{{gwi:184517}}

And finally, just a pretty Fall shot of the willow tree by the house while it has a few leaves left on it!

{{gwi:184518}}

Time for a warm drink, don't you think?

'bug

Comments (15)

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

Warm drink indeed-that sky looked a bit ominous...

I love the Euonymus europeus-I saw it for the first time at a nursery a month ago and thought it was gorgeous-glad you have one. I haven't heard much about it-how old and what size is yours and do you like it?

The golden color on the Tamarack tree is splendid-what a statement next to the darker nearby foliage.

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

That first pic is perfect! I am partial to cloudy scenes.
    And the harvested corn pic is to my liking also.
    I want one of those gorgeous Tamaracks....(you can keep the deer!).
    What sort of willow is that? The leaves look like maple.
    None of my roses have hips like that. One of Nolon's cousins have one in front of their house that has huge hips.

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Bug your barn is so photogenic. I never tire of seeing it and quite like it with the moody sky.
    I am partial to grasses too and think they are really nice near water.
    Will the workers have to tear up the patio?

Norma

• deanneart
    17 years ago

My first thought when I opened this thread was, "Wow Marie's barn is just so photogenic" and I see that Norma has beat me to it. I think you need to do a calendar of just photos of your barn in all the seasons. It would be lovely. If I lived closer I'd do one for myself. Wjhat a fun project that would be. And the tamarack tree is simply beautiful. One time we visited Doug's cousins in Rockland ME and there was a large stand of them all 'gussied' up with their fall color. Gorgeous! That 'Huron Sunrise' is really lovely. I don't recall, how tall is that one? Thanks for all the lovely pics. Nice way to start my day.
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Monique, this from Google:
    Spindle tree (Euonymus europaeus) is one of the larger types of euonymus. It grows 12 to 30 feet tall and spreads 10 to 25 feet. It has no particular soil preference and grows best in sun or partial shade. The growth rate is moderate and it transplants easily. The red and orange fall fruits are the main ornamental feature.

Cultivars include: 'albus'--white fruit: 'aldenhamensis'--showy fruit; 'intermedius'--bright red fruit; 'plumilius'--dwarf.
    As for me, I love Spindle trees. I first saw them at the nearby arboretum in Guelph and NEEDED one. Well that one ended up being many more, as people were giving them away to me! I must have at least six of them by now! They are about shoulder height for me now, perhaps 3 years old. If you were next door, I'd give you one! I'm amazed that they have so many berries at such a young age. I was told they grow to 8 feet, so planted them far too close together if in fact they do grow 30' by 25'. I suspect they won't in my climate, but you never know!

Marian, that 'willow' confuses me too. I'm told by everyone it is a plain old willow...but the leaves sure don't look it to me either. It gets some disease in about July every year and turns brown. It is huge and I'm not about to have it sprayed. I met the woman who planted it too. She got it as a little sapling from her sister years ago.

Norma, the patio is being reset around the edge where it meets the house. They will add sand to raise the area a good deal. (They'll drive their equipment across the lawn too. You can imagine my fears! If I were to enherit a million dollars, I'd much prefer a flagstone patio, but that isn't going to happen.

Deanne, I too love tamarack trees. I've heard so many odd stories of people who have bought them and then lamented that they died and had them removed. They never knew they lost their needles each year! Oh, and the Huron Sunrise is about 3 1/2 feet tall and maybe 3 feet wide....so far!

And here's the honeysuckle still blooming away-

{{gwi:184519}}

'bug

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    17 years ago

GB Â I second the suggestion of making a calendar of photos of that barn! Very photogenic. I like the brooding clouds (as long as they donÂt mean snowÂ) Is that skunks in the picture? Do you need to do what I did? ThereÂs a bucket of de-odorizing supplies under the back porch in anticipation of an encounter with the family living under the shed!

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

'bug, what a lot of wonderful fall color you have. I really like the Huron Sunrise, the Euonymus europeus and the tamarack. Do you know what rose that is with all the hips. What great fall and winter interest. I was thinking about Janie not too long ago and wondering how her new front garden was doing.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Michelle, I'm not positive, but I think we are talking about The Apothecary Rose. It was given to me by a friend.
    "The ApothecaryÂs Rose is still used for its highly fragrant qualities in potpourri, soothing teas, lotions and other cosmetics. It grows to 5 ft. and spreads by suckering. ItÂs rated by the American Rose Society at 8.6 Â almost as high as you can get."

Woody, in the photo there's a camouflaged deer, no skunks I hope! There are loads of road killed skunks about though. I too keep the skunk supplies in a back cupboard. I would never have an adequate quantity of peroxide needed for an emergency unless I planned ahead!

Here is a link that might be useful: Apothecary Rose

• drema_dianne
    17 years ago

Hi Bug! Always a treat to see what is happening down on the farm. I love those rose hips, and your bridge path. How did you get your Honeysuckle to bloom so late? Maybe I need more fertilizer? Mine only bloomed one time... and I thought that was normal. Must do research. And the TAmarack! Wow, everyone has definitely given me something to aim for in the fall!

D.

• just_t
    17 years ago

Beautiful photos of beautiful surroundings. I love seeing photos of your pond and barn.....the first photo is especially wonderful.

Beautiful and serene looking photos.

Thank you.
    T.

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

OK, so I've looked at these about 10 times,about 5 of them while I was eating my lunch at my desk at the office..so thanks 'bug, theres nothing better to diffuse a stressful day than your great pics..
    Kathy in Napa

• martieinct
    17 years ago

'bug - Realized I never personally said my WOW!!!. Thank you for taking us along.

About Apothecary Rose (did you really think I'd leave it alone??? LOL) This variety of Gallica has been used in medicinal herb gardens for as long medicinal herb gardens have been planted. It is believed by some to be as old as Rosa chinensis, which predates European botanical records. The really good ones survive despite humans, yes??

Martie

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Marie, I've seen alot of pictures of your barn and can now say I've even taken a few, but that first picture is just stunning! Talk about capturing weather...those are some stormy skies. Like Marian, you live in the midst of natural beauty and I am envious.

Sue

• john_4b
    17 years ago

I don't usually stop by here. Great pictures, I enjoyed the tour very much! Thanks for sharing your garden. I love the barn and the pond shots, and the 4 season interest you've created in your garden. Look forward to seeing more in the future.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all! And john, do stick around and join us! We are not ALL female on these threads. ;-)

Today I thought I'd share the "after" shot of the drainage situation near the gate. Here's the swale created.

{{gwi:184520}}