Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

Digging Dog..lots o' pics..

dodgerdudette
14 years ago

Digging Dog is out in the middle of nowhere, and in truth, much of the north coast of California shares this distinction, and that my friends, is what protects it from the bulldozer.

The display gardens were way beyond what I expected.
{{gwi:184610}}From Digging Dog
{{gwi:184612}}From Digging Dog
{{gwi:184613}}From Digging Dog

I think this might be Buff Beauty..
{{gwi:184614}}From Digging Dog
{{gwi:184615}}From Digging Dog
{{gwi:184616}}From Digging Dog
{{gwi:184617}}From Digging Dog
{{gwi:184618}}From Digging Dog
{{gwi:184619}}From Digging Dog
{{gwi:184620}}From Digging Dog

Kathy in Napa

Comments (17)

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Superb. And I like the coiled hose too as a touch of reality in the dreamy landscape.

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Its looks like a lovely way to spend a day. The display gardens are fabulous.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

LOVE that rose! Nice curving steps and I like the borders backed by the hedges. Lots to look at. You must have had a great time, Kathy, thanks for sharing!

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

It is a lovely place. I have never been anywhere in California except through the Needles area on my way to Arizona. So you know I haven't seen much beauty there. :-)

• denisez10
    14 years ago

Hard to believe that when I last saw this nursery there was NO display gardens -- it was that long ago. They are beautiful now, and it's grand to see a nursery "dug" in, staying the course, successful. Long may it be so!

(You think the rose may be a little too dark for BB? Possibly Felicity?)

Thanks for the sumptuous photos, Kathy.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

oooh - I want to go there!

• anitamo
    14 years ago

What a visit you must have had. Gorgeous place! I noticed the hose right away, too, 'bug. It somehow puts it all into perspective, that it takes some work to get borders like these. I especially like the fall colors in photo #8. The bronze and yellow look so good together.

• chelone
    14 years ago

I had no idea there were such manifest treasures just two towns west of me...

:)

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lol Chelone, I'll give you a call the next time I go --we can carpool.

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

'bug I had the same thought about the hose. Reality is a good thing.

Looks like a fun place to visit!

V.

• saucydog
    14 years ago

I loved the curved stairs and instantly thought of a place they'd fit in here :)

Thanks for sharing these, Kathy! Beautiful display gardens.

Saucy

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Wow! what a fabulous garden. Love the pics Kathy, thanks for taking the time to share these!

Deanne

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

I had no idea their gardens are so glorious, and sophisticated. I love their catalog and products but this is wonderful, Kathy.

Funny, I just saw that inula and carex(?) combination on the Hobhouse DVD of a garden in England, and thought what a neat combo it was....

Thanks, Kathy, for sharing with us.

-cindy

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Okay, am I the only one who expected different pics when she saw the post title? Before I opened the post, I was thinking of which holes I could take pics of to show the work of my 'digging dogs'- too funny. That's what I get for being a newbie here! These are much better than what I had planned. LOL.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

oh, and I love the steps where they left a bit of dirt for planting at the back of each one. Marvelous idea!

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gary Ratway , the owner of Digging Dog has also designed some wonderful winery gardens in Sonoma County and I am going to include at least one (Matanzas Creek) on the agenda. There was a new area planted at DD, a fantastic vegetable garden, but I'didn't take photos as it was not completed. It should be awesome next summer-though I'm not sure it will compete with Stonewall Kitchen! I'm still swooning over that one.

LOL Cyn, see the link below for the real scoop on Digging Dog !

Kathy in Napa

Here is a link that might be useful: Digging Dog

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Thanks for the link, Kathy! Looks wonderful and the prices seem good. I will be spending some winter evenings browsing!