Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Digging Dog..lots o' pics..

Posted by dodgerdudette NapaCaz9 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 11, 09 at 21:06

Digging Dog is out in the middle of nowhere, and in truth, much of the north coast of California shares this distinction, and that my friends, is what protects it from the bulldozer.

The display gardens were way beyond what I expected.

From Digging Dog

From Digging Dog

From Digging Dog

I think this might be Buff Beauty..

From Digging Dog

From Digging Dog

From Digging Dog

From Digging Dog

From Digging Dog

From Digging Dog

From Digging Dog

Kathy in Napa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Digging Dog..lots o' pics..

Superb. And I like the coiled hose too as a touch of reality in the dreamy landscape.

o

Its looks like a lovely way to spend a day. The display gardens are fabulous.

o

LOVE that rose! Nice curving steps and I like the borders backed by the hedges. Lots to look at. You must have had a great time, Kathy, thanks for sharing!

o

It is a lovely place. I have never been anywhere in California except through the Needles area on my way to Arizona. So you know I haven't seen much beauty there. :-)

o

Hard to believe that when I last saw this nursery there was NO display gardens -- it was that long ago. They are beautiful now, and it's grand to see a nursery "dug" in, staying the course, successful. Long may it be so!

(You think the rose may be a little too dark for BB? Possibly Felicity?)

Thanks for the sumptuous photos, Kathy.

o

oooh - I want to go there!

o

What a visit you must have had. Gorgeous place! I noticed the hose right away, too, 'bug. It somehow puts it all into perspective, that it takes some work to get borders like these. I especially like the fall colors in photo #8. The bronze and yellow look so good together.

o

I had no idea there were such manifest treasures just two towns west of me...

:)

o

Lol Chelone, I'll give you a call the next time I go --we can carpool.

o

'bug I had the same thought about the hose. Reality is a good thing.

Looks like a fun place to visit!

V.

o

I loved the curved stairs and instantly thought of a place they'd fit in here :)

Thanks for sharing these, Kathy! Beautiful display gardens.

Saucy

o

Wow! what a fabulous garden. Love the pics Kathy, thanks for taking the time to share these!

Deanne

o

I had no idea their gardens are so glorious, and sophisticated. I love their catalog and products but this is wonderful, Kathy.

Funny, I just saw that inula and carex(?) combination on the Hobhouse DVD of a garden in England, and thought what a neat combo it was....

Thanks, Kathy, for sharing with us.

-cindy

o

Okay, am I the only one who expected different pics when she saw the post title? Before I opened the post, I was thinking of which holes I could take pics of to show the work of my 'digging dogs'- too funny. That's what I get for being a newbie here! These are much better than what I had planned. LOL.

Cynthia

o

oh, and I love the steps where they left a bit of dirt for planting at the back of each one. Marvelous idea!

o

Gary Ratway , the owner of Digging Dog has also designed some wonderful winery gardens in Sonoma County and I am going to include at least one (Matanzas Creek) on the agenda. There was a new area planted at DD, a fantastic vegetable garden, but I'didn't take photos as it was not completed. It should be awesome next summer-though I'm not sure it will compete with Stonewall Kitchen! I'm still swooning over that one.

LOL Cyn, see the link below for the real scoop on Digging Dog !

Kathy in Napa

Here is a link that might be useful: Digging Dog

o

Thanks for the link, Kathy! Looks wonderful and the prices seem good. I will be spending some winter evenings browsing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here