Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
October 1st in NH

Posted by deanneart z5Southern NH (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 1, 09 at 21:29

HI all, well we've been spared from a frost yet and I'm amazed at how much is still blooming out there. Hard to believe it is October.

The Tropical Border is still going strong. The 'Charles Grimaldi' must have three hundred buds on it at present. I'm hoping it makes it before the frost comes.

The driveway garden still has color

A few favorite containers

Soon all will be gone until next spring. Seems hard to believe this summer has come to an end.

Deanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: October 1st in NH

Wow Deanne, it all looks great ! The 'garage pot' is outrageous ! Will you try to overwinter the Papyrus ? Crossing my fingers for the 'grand finale' with Charles- my brug is majestic and bloomless. I think it's a lemon, lol.

Kathy in Napa

o

Deanne, everything looks absolutely amazing! We've had a frost and the containers have been smooshed when covered and several days of strong winds so I'm ready to get rid of them. You look like your weather has cooperated well this year to have such a great display this late in the season.

Michelle

o

How did you do last night, Deanne? We were pretty cool and I haven't been outside yet. I love your Golden Spirit Cotinus. Are you still seeing Hummers, or have they left for warmer digs? What are you going to do with your Banana this year?

o

Everything looks great as usual! The cooler temperatures at least must have reduced the time you spend watering all that.... My brug has new buds too - but not as many as yours! I doubt they'll open before frost gets them... and then we still have to decide whether we'll let the plants die or bring them in to keep for next year.

o

The sheer size of everything (living outside in N.E.) is just scifi like, Deanne -- I am stunned by the size and growth and buds -- floriforous doesnt begin to describe it all. Some of the stuff is taller than your house it appears! Wowser..... We need to take up a collection for a neighborhood greenhouse for you, LOL.

Thanks for sharing such incredible Autumn lushness - it's simply breathtaking.

--Cindy

o

Thanks so much everyone!

Kathy, I won't overwinter the papyrus, they get really buggy and full of spider mites (can you tell I've tried this before?) so that will go to the compost. ~~ RE brug, perhaps I should root a couple cuttings from my 'Charles Grimaldi'? I really is a blooming fool.

PM the Hummingbirds have all left for warmer digs. Right now there are very few birds about and I didn't see any finches for three weeks! ~~ WE still haven't had a frost here but I'm living on borrowed time. I've got to make a stab at getting some of this stuff in this weekend.

Woody, yes, with the cooler temps and a few cloudy days my watering chores have been cut in half.

Cindy, thanks for the kind thoughts re greenhouse! Wouldn't I just love that!

Deanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here