Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

Idyll # 407 Tricks, Treats, and Tranquility

dodgerdudette
15 years ago

As always I am enriched and entertained by the great souls in this group...Carry on Idylls !

Kathy in Napa

Comments (100)

• Marian_2
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

No 'sleeping in' for me. I got up at the crack of dawn before the time changed, and I shall continue to do so, but it is great to see the clock saying it is 6, instead of 7 ! I know 9 to 5ers have to go by the clock, but I do not.I only wish I could stay asleep until dawn!

I have still not fully recovered from my digestive problem. If I could refrain from poking everything in my mouth that comes to mind...espacially in the evening, I think I may fully recover. :-(
    I need a lot more self restraint!

Chelone, I am so inpressed with all your home inprovement activities. We have neighbor gal/friend who is like that. If she takes a notion to remodel her house, she does it. She bought some of Nolon's construction electical tools from him when he retired, to use herself. She is also employed at 'our' bank, as cashier. She is not much into gardening though. She lives even more immersed into the woods than we are, and loves her trees.
    Yaargh ! Chelone ! Ammonia! I am glad all involved survived, including 'Wrecks'! Do read the label before you drink something...LOL.

Marie, I do understand your anger at the fact that a 'no-gooder' was kept going so the tax payers can continue supporting him, but a precious innocent child is lost. It is frequently difficult to understand these things. I think someday we will.

V, what a horrific experience! How fortunate for you that you had changed lanes! I believe there is a reason for that, also.
    Beautiful choice of a wedding dress. I am so happy that you are having such a fun time in the plans. I was never involved in my son's bride(s)preparation. I left all of that up to their mother(s).

I can't seem to find who asked if Nolon was employed by that ranch. Yes, he was not a 'cowboy' but he was a ranch hand. He had a cousin who had been there for a year or so, and encouraged Nolon to work there. The cousin was on one of the smaller 'sub' ranches, on down the road from us.

Pm2, I have been taking pictures of my old photos ever since I got a digital camera. Sometimes they come out lots better than that last one.
    Sorry about the screen house, and sorry for the cat. :-(

It is interesting to hear of the daughters going off on their own (College). Our son moved into a rented house while he was still in high school, then he got married, then he went to college. :-)
    He was still in our same small town when he first was on his own.

Kathy, I was looking at the radar, and it looks as though the entire NW is really getting the rain, and snow in higher altitudes. My sister,in Meridian, Idaho, and my brother, in Albany, Oregon, are predicted to have rain all week. My birth area in Idaho is predicted to start out with rain, and turn to snow midweek. Not unusual there.
    We are still having unseasonally warm weather. It is to continue until Thurs.(I think).

Marian

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

AARRGH!! I just lost a long post! I'm too tired to re-do it all so I'll just quickly do a bit of it.

It was samosa day again here. Six pounds of extra-lean ground beef were converted into filling:
    {{gwi:184797}}
    It made about 100 samosas.
    {{gwi:184798}}
    We ate some (too many!) while cooking and had some with popovers for lunch. Split three ways, it's not a big batch. Most of ours will go in the freezer to be eaten with future curry dinners.

Denise - that looks like a good recipe - it has all my favorite spices. I'm awfully tempted to try it tomorrow....

gb's DH e-mailed this morning to say their satelite link has gone wonky and she expects to be out of touch for a few days. I assume that means she won't be able to post here as well as being out of e-mail contact, but I'm not entirely sure....

• saucydog
    15 years ago

I had a ball at the book store today....got some stocking stuffers (journals in purple suede and leather bound sketch pads!) and a tree identification book for 2 dollars.

I'm going to start The Lace Reader tonight. Wonder if GB is done yet?

It's leftovers tonight, and I heard a "ding"....

Saucy

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Oh, I really dislike this autumn time change. Just after 5pm and already getting dark makes for a long evening. I suppose I'll get used to it though, I always do. It was a beautiful day today with temps in the 60s and we have 70s forecast for the next couple of days. We even ate lunch outside today. Truly a bonus for November.

We've been painting and doing projects around the house. The garden has long been put to bed except for some mulching once the leaves fall. Brad built me a very cool conservatory out of old windows that we happened upon on our way home from dinner out one Sunday. I'll have to get a picture of that for you all to see. I saved way too many plants but with Bella being a year older I seem to have more time to tend to them. The kitchen's coming along, close to halfway painted now. We built a wall of shelves for my cookbooks out of old apple crates that I really like. Also the old light fixture has been replaced with a new colored glass one. I'm having fun working on it all.

Bella's at a really fun age now. I like 3 1/2 alot. She comes up with the some of the funniest things.

Things here in MI are scary. Anouncements of thousands losing jobs just about every day it seems. So far Brad still has a job but that could easily change. No use worrying about what I can't control though so I try not to.

Halloween was lots of fun this year. We all got together at Jenni and Randy's for dinner and trick or treat. For dessert I made cupcakes from the Magnolia Bakery cookbook, chocolate with vanilla buttercream frosting and decorated with Halloween stencils and colored sugar. Fun and they were so good!

Michelle, Kenzie was such a cute garden fairy. I loved seeing her in her costume.

Well since this post has been all about me I do think I've said enough for now. Time to go turn on the lights. Have a good evening.

Eden

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Good evening

Eden - great to hear some of the fun things you have been up to. Halloween is such an exciting holiday for the little ones. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for Brad.

Woody - how wonderful to have a stash of delicious home-made Samosas in your freezer. I wonder if I could make a wheat-free version?

Saucy - our book group voted on the Lace Reader too so I'll be picking up a copy soon. With V and GB we have almost enough for another Idyll book club. Kathy - have you read that one?

Marian - did you and Nolon both ride horses?

Chelone - I was fascinated to see the progress on the salon and the chimney. I was mixing up thin-set yesterday and laid the granite tiles for the counter-top in the second bathroom. I loved the way they look and can't wait to finally get the sink in and plumbed. I was going to grout tonight after work but the early morning has caught up with me.

V - and Martie - beautiful dresses both!!

Michelle - what a perfect little flower fairy Kenzie makes:0)

Kathy - we were unable to find a Mozart wig for David and I didn't have time to make a jacket so Wolfie morphed into Darth Mull (sp?). I promsied that with an earlier start next year we'd pull off an Amadeus outfit.

Today was a fairly normal day at work which was great after all the turmoil of last week. Homework is completed and Annie has a carpool ride to her violin lesson (her BFF has the slot right after so we can share the driving). DH, David and I just finished supper (baked sweet potatoes, cuban porkm squash and salad). I've told the boys it is their turn to clean the kitchen and headed off for a quiet Idyll.

When it comes to making messes we are probably all equally responsible, though DH to a lesser extent as he is gone so much. I am the main picker-upper and initiator of family clean-ups. I do sometimes wonder to what state things would get to if I did not blow the whistle once in a while and try and bring some order to the place. That said, I cannot bear to have a messy kitchen or things left out and keep counters, stove and sink neat and clean. Cooking is a creative outlet for me and I need a space I feel comfortable in to work. Now the floor is another matter...

In response to the question about our first apartments or houses, mine was a studio apartment in the Lincoln Park area of Chicago. I had come to the USA to train as a paper conservator after college. I was just 23. The apartment was in a beautiful old building divided into dozens of flats on a lovely tree lined street within walking distance of shops, restaurants, clubs etc. It was tiny - a living room where I had a sofa bed, a small table and two chairs. There was a minute kitchen on one side with room for just one person to stand. Beside that was an even smaller bathroom. I loved every inch of it adn teh fact that it was all mine, and have many happy memories of that time.

Mary

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Martie, you seem to have a lot in common with the bride-to-be; she shares your name minus the e. Lovely dress and lovely smile!

Woody, I may unilaterally impose a rule that there may be no more samosa photos unless you promise to coordinate a Samosa cook-in at Idyll Summer Camp.

Chelone, I love the photos of the salon. The wall color is wonderful, and it looks like a lovely space in which to work. Great job on the chimney, by the way.

Eden, I will cross my fingers and toes on Brad's behalf as well. Nice to see regular posts from you again.

I'd love to hear from Cindy and Cynthia.

The meeting that I had on Wednesday morning was canceled for other reasons, and I have permission to be late that day. DH has a meeting on Wednesday at a hotel near O'Hare, so we have a room booked there Tuesday night. We'll drive there tomorrow afternoon then take the El into downtown. It will be a lot of standing and waiting, but I'll put up with it for one evening. Sounds like the city is scaling back the number of people they are encouraging to come into downtown, which is not a bad idea. I'll try to take the camera along.

Missing bug and Deanne as they suffer from computer-related woes.

I was quite stiff today from all the bending yesterday. Lots of old lady groans heard from my quarter. Not much else new to report from this corner of the world. I will not be here tomorrow but hope to report on my activities on Wednesday.

Whatever your choice, remember to exercise your rights tomorrow!

V.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was talking to rep for a vendor of mine today in Marshalltown Ohio, who advised me of their temps today, which were predicted to hit near 80. She was happy to hear it was pouring and (relatively ) cold in zone 9 Norcal . Ive turned on the heat for the 1st time , just to take the chill down a bit. It clicked on at 62.
    I had annoying DSL service issues over the weekend. Started on Saturday evening and lost service on and off on Sunday, but managed to slide a post in none the less. I installed a new DSL phone filter which was suggested by the techs at ATT as the possible culprit. So far so good. And as I was eating my dinner last night I dislodged one of the stainless steel posts that are holding the implant areas open as they await the crowns, so I had to visit my dentist to re-install.

Eden I cant wait to see pics of your conservatory ! Many years ago I wrote a short story in which the main character was an artist whose studio was on the back of her small cottage and built of old windows. I never fail to think of you when I hear the doom and gloom prospects in the US auto industry . My boss told me today we are loosing several more in my company on Wednesday. I think the lumber business is just about in the same boat as the SUV business---but on a positive note, gas was only 2.89 today ! I cant believe how fast those prices are falling.

Mary, no, I have not read The Lace Reader as of yet, but have placed it on my winter list . Right now I am preparing to read The Master by Colm Toibin, which is a novel about Henry James, came out a few years agomaybe won the Booker ? Im going to finish Cultivating Delight first, though, as I have too many books going right now. Im reorganizing all my music CDs so that I will have proper reading music.

I noted that Deanne plopped in a couple of posts on some of our annex threads ..I too suspect the computer woes-must be as annoying as h#*l!

Martie, you look just charming in your wedding finery ! And one of the very nicest things you are wearing is that big smile.

Denise, your recipe reminds me of the spice cake I always requested for my b-days as a child. When Marian posted about the YP ranch I Nev, it made me think about my late MIL who grew up in the 30s on the County Farm in Downey (of all places.) Do you remember how Downey was in the 50s with all the dairy farms ? That was the end of the era as it was quickly becoming a post WW2 LA bedroom community.

Marian, that was me who asked about the ranch worker job in Nevada. And the job paid a salary plus room and board at the ranch ?

Yes V please take us some pics !!! And glad you mentioned Cindy and Cynthia, I miss them !

Saucy, I did a bookstore visit while in Portland , and purchased secret gifts. Powell Books is a Portland icon and takes up a whole city block. I try to go on each of my visits; they have used books too , so there are great bargains to be had.

OK, thats all for me tonightand how interesting tomorrow will be whatever the outcome..

Kathy in Napa

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

I will quickly answer a couple of questions before crashing for the night.

Mary, I don't recall ever seeing Nolon on a horse. I don't think horseback riding was part of the ranch job. I rode horses before I met him, but never after we were married.

Kathy, yes, Nolon was paid a salary, and we were provided a furnished house. The first one we were in was only two bedroom and quite small. The second one was three bedroom and had a large livingroom and dinningroom combo, with a fireplace. I will look up some of the pics I took while we were there, and take pics of them to post.

Martie, that is a lovely wedding dress. I never had a real wedding dress, or a fancy wedding. Both times it was just at a Justice of the Peace ...in his home. Apparently it does not matter. Nolon and I have been married 51 years!

Woody, I am really curious what those samosas taste like. If you volunteer to make some at the Idyll Camp I will HAVE to come so I can sample them. :-)

Okie doakie...that was more than I said I would post ! LOL

Marian

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Weve been having unseasonable temps. Yesterday reached 74. Today was as warm but breezier. Garden clean up continues, except it will have to be on the weekends since it was nearly dark when I arrived home this evening.

All the home improvements are interesting, everyone seems to have a trowel in hand. Im skim coating a small wall in our bedroom. Its a wall of paneling ugh! It seems like this house had paneling in nearly every room. Most were only 1 wall and Ive nearly eradicated all of it.

Eden, Id love to see your conservatory. I have several pictures Ive saved of such things made from old windows for a someday project. Sorry to hear about all the layoffs I hope Brad is unaffected.

Martie, your dress is lovely.

When DH and I got married my mom made my dress. The top was lace and was beaded my yours truly.

V, I love the slight gather in the bodice of FDILs dress.

My first apt. was very cool. On the 3rd floor with an old elevator that you operated yourself. You know the kind where you have to figure out where to stop it and then open the cage. The apt. had hardwood floors, white walls, a claw foot tub and a murphy bed in the dining room. Since I actually had bedroom furniture, I got the one bedroom and the roomie took the murphy bed.

Mary, I have to have a clean floor before I begin cooking not that it stays that way.

Chelone, it looks like you have a chair collection or maybe fetish LOL We joke here about our dresser collection. Between the 2 of us when we got married we had 15 dressers. We have eliminated a few but still have more than we need.

Im missing all the aol Idylls.

Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Chelones chairs: what an interesting revelation -it seems they represent almost any era you could name..but I was very drawn to tne basket chair which took me to an LA youth and would be fabu in Denises garden...

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    15 years ago

Lol, I wondered if there would be any comment on the chair collection! The helpmeet teases me because I can't control myself when I see something interesting set out for large item collection. The most recent acquistion is the Chinese Chippendale chair under the stainless heat shield for the stove. It's lovely and I can't wait to have the room to set up and reupholster it. The Danish Modern chair and footstool belong to my brother. They are mahogany and the Pirelli rubber webbing needs replacing after nearly 50 yrs., he has a rocking chair, the sofa, and the matching coffee table, a truly handsome set. And I ADORE the little round "basket" chairs, Kathy. They came from my late FIL and they're really comfortable. I've long harbored a desire to learn the art of reed work and re-do them.

Michelle, I could be right up in 15 dresser league, too! I love old furniture and have rather too much of it now, but it's so hard to make decisions on what should go. I laughed aloud at your comment about eradicating the panelling. Is it the cheesy stuff that was so popular in the '60s and is under 1/4" thick? THTTF has knotty pine panelling in the living room, a leftover from its days as a summer cottage. My brother suggested removing it and replacing it with drywall, but rather liked the notion of keeping it as a nod to nostalgia, too. He liked the pickled windows in the Salon and asked about doing that to the panelling... (me and my good ideas). Soak up some sunshine and warm temperatures for me, willya? I think a miner's helmet (with the light on the front) could be a useful aid in late day garden clean up...

And it IS nice to see Eden pop in. I really want to see some shots of your projects, they're always so interesting. The recycled Conservatory sounds great. Like Kathy, I think of the Michigan Idyllettes whenever I hear grim news out of the rust belt. The numbers from the Big Three yesterday were jaw dropping. It's a shame so many hard-working people take the hit because the board of directors and the brass refused to face reality and make the decisions that would have made the company more competitive.

It will be fun to hear V.'s report tomorrow sometime. I will perform my civic duty on the way home this afternoon. I take voting very seriously, both my grandmothers had been married for several years before they were legally permitted to cast a vote in this country and the worldover people actually risk violence and persecution for the chance to cast one. I vote because I'm able to do so!

Missing Cynthia and Cindy, too. Wondering about greys and Chloe and what's shakin' at the "awfice". And what the neighbors on the other side of the wall are like...

Well, time to make like a baby and head on outta here. Later!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Kathy...Your chicken enchiladas sounded great, but I would have to pass on the pea soup. [g] Do you put your pesto over pasta? Yes, I can imagine the $$ BIL had to put into the house, but at least it was a great investment. Any project that comes out that well has to add a lot of value to the house. How long before your crowns are ready? You mention stainless steel posts, not titanium?

Yes, Bug...your friend Sharon has had more than her share of pain in life. I hope her trip with her daughter will be a wonderful experience for the both of them. I wonder if she is a gardener? On the new stove/chimney, would a different insurance company assess the situation differently and require less?

Sue....you have my sympathies over heating system woes. We had our furnace break down on us a few years ago, right around this time of year and we ran into one delay after another, held up by the homeowner's insurance company first, and then the company installing the boiler. We were actually into cold weather the last week before it went in and quite uncomfortable. It turned out to be a great system and we are happy with it. How about an update? Any closer to being ready to turn the heat up?

Martie...That wedding photo is just gorgeous! I love your dress and bouquet, so simple and elegant and you look so happy and content! Logee's does sound like a nice treat. I am ready for something new I think. Maybe a few begonias, anyone have any favorites to recommend? Was it you who had a Viburnum carlesii open this week?? The whole shrub or just a few blossoms? I imagine that will mean no bloom in the spring?

Saucy....are you still on meadows in your class? Since you saved less than usual plants, maybe you would enjoy a trip to Logee's? :-)

Marian....DD graduated from college last year and has been in her first official job for six months and has finally saved up enough money to get into her own apartment with a roommate. That is so interesting that your DS married before college. I am sure that made it a little harder, so it is impressive that he went to college any way. I wonder if he felt like he missed out on some fun, getting married so young?

V....it would seem you are making great progress with all the wedding plans. Glad you are enjoying it. DD's gown is very pretty!

Julie....I believe you might find it helpful to schedule in more fun for Julie instead of more Jobs. :-)

All our kids have been doing their own laundry since they were old enough to do it. They also helped with the lawn and garden. Now that they are all grown, they all cook and have helped out with grocery shopping and enjoy the kitchen more than the garden. [g]

Hi Brenda....how is the harvesting coming? You are harvesting corn, right? Glad the weather is cooperating.

Chelone....have your arms/hands recovered yet?

I enjoyed the photos of the 'Trick or Treaters'. Costumes were outstanding! Martie your neighbor kids are adorable too. Lots of memories of 'sorting candy'. DB and I were only 10 months apart and at that age, we lived in neighborhoods with three decker houses with tons of families and kids in them. We also lived a few blocks away from a local Inn and every year they would offer hot cider and donuts to all the neighborhood kids.

Woody....mouthwatering pics!

Eden....so nice to hear that you are having enjoyable times lately. I remember seeing a magazine article with photos of greenhouses that people had made out of leftover windows and have wanted one ever since. I am going to be really jealous, but would love to see photos of it...lol. My favorite age with my kids was when they were three and four years old. Just wonderful how sweet they are and what things come out of their mouth.

Mary....your first apartment sounded like a real find. I have never been to Chicago, so I'm not familiar with that area but your description makes it sound great. I was just thinking that I never have lived anywhere by myself. It must have been quite an experience. Still renovating a bathroom? Maybe photos soon? You never said how your garden job finished up?

My first apartment was large on the second floor of a two family and the landlord lived downstairs. He kept it up very well and they were wonderful. High ceilings and large windows. It was really fun fixing it up. Seems like a long time ago.

Nothing much to report. The garden is finally about put to bed. DH planted all the bulbs on Sunday and we got a few more containers in the ground and a few pots put away. Oh, and best of all, we bought a roll of hardware cloth and covered all the areas where the bulbs were planted, so the squirrels won't dig them up! I will still try to chip away at the garden 'to do' list until it gets too cold to get out there, but if the weather turns and nothing more to be done out there, I will be content with what we were able to finish.

I'll be back with a photo later...have a good morning... :-) pm2

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

If I opened the window I wouldn't be able to see the computer screen for the fog. It is denser than I ever remember.

Tables are the thing here. All sizes, shapes, condition, uses. It's a running joke with Kyle that he'll never, ever in his lifetime need to purchase a table.

For Idyll camp I think we'll need a few more chairs, Chelone ;-)

Another soul sister found, V!! Is she a Martha?

Thanks for the compliments on the dress. Actually two pieces: top for $12 off the 90% clearance rack at a hoity toity dress shop, skirt (short) that has been reused several times. The smile was the easiest part of the day...

Was thinking of Michelle and Brenda when I heard the midwest weather reports, and how hot it must be during harvest.

Hope your malady corrects itself soon, Marian. Nothing worse IMHO.

After hearing the computer woes of others, am grateful my 6yo dinosaur Dell is still alive and kicking. It'll be time for a swapout, soon. Work provides the latest and greatest and the difference is astounding. Rich doesn't know the difference. LOL

I remember that election bread, Denise!! Some of the little old church ladies made a big deal out of making it two days before any election in the church kitchen. It was a "stay out of the way" situation, for sure, but the kids got to collect, peel and smash walnuts from the big tree outside. Some of the loaves had bourbon secretly slipped in instead of the water to rise the yeast. Those were marked with a red cherry and were kept on the very top shelf for the "men while they count ballots." Wonder just how many mistakes were made???? LOL Thank you for the wonderful "out of the recessess" memory!!

Work is opening late this morning so that anyone who wishes can exercise our most precious right. Already there are reports of lines (the polls open at 6am here) so need to get moving and outta here.

I really want to see Cynthia's topiary project! And know that Cindy is well. Waving to them and others who I'd love to see stop in just to say "hi."

Martie

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Good morning

Kathy - I loved Cultivating Delight and really enjoy Diane Ackerman's writing. She lives in Ithaca, just an hour or so from here and I often think of her books driving through the most beautiful areas.

PM - my work on the big garden job is done for the season with all the trees, shrubs and bulbs planted. The owners would like me to put in more perennials gardens come spring and the grotto is an ongoing project (stone mason will not start work till next year). Owners are not interested in doing maintainance themselves so I am proposing a schedule to come every other week to weed, deadhead and trim back etc. Even the best planted gardens will look miserable with no one to care for them. A "no maintainance garden" really does not exist in my mind once you go beyond shrubs planted in piles of wood chips. Overall I think the couple are very pleased and both the builder and hardscaper said they would like to work with me again. We'll see what spring (and the economy) bring.

The two other smaller jobs I did this summer were really a blast. Both ladies wanted to work side by side with me to learn what I was doing and more about plants. We worked hard, got a ton accomplished, and had so much fun it seemed ridiculous I should be getting paid. I was even cooked up a gluten-free lunch of rice and beans and salad when one client found out I could not eat a sandwich - how kind is that? I think both would like me back next year.

Meanwhile, my own garden has yet to have a thing done to it this fall other than raking leaves and is probably a week away from getting the care it needs while I finish up the bathroom. I am eternally thankful I was able to say no to doing a Fall garden talk and tour this year as that might simply have pushed me over the edge.

Thinking of absent Idyllers I was also wondering how Wendy is doing.

Need to make tracks - have a great day everyone.

Mary

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Hi all, Just a quick post as I've been busy here with finishing up the pots and getting back into my bird photography as well as getting ready for a three day seminar this weekend.

Doug and I have been moving and rearranging the furniture in the house to set up an office for him upstairs and to set up a teaching studio downstairs for me. The computer desk and credenza went from the basement to the second floor and the acquarium had to be moved about ten feet. So that had to get totally drained etc. Big jobs. We had to rearrange some furniture on the second floor to accommodate the comuter desk upstairs but Doug is going to like the new 'office'. He works from home half the time and he really didn't have a good work space.

I'm still wrestling with trying to figure out how many plants to save so I still have six pots in the garage to decant. There are some enormous abutilons that I have no idea where I'm going to put them but if I keep waiting they'll die a slow death and the problem will be solved without my having to actively put the things in the compost. LOL

Anyway, no computer woes at present (except Doug's hard drive on his lap top crashed a few days ago, Yikes!) so I'm up and running but very busy.

Waving hello to all!
    Deanne

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

I found the lines for voting on TV this a.m. interesting. We will vote this evening and there are rarely lines in the little town that we go to for voting.

Martie, I think tables are right behind dressers here, I have 5 in my garden shed alone! Granted 2 are end tables but the other 3 are larger.

Chelone, the paneling is the cheap stuff. The wall in the bedroom is the white stuff, which is probably why I have tolerated it so long. I thought about just painting it but the room will be pale blue and I couldnt wrap my mind around blue paneling LOL Hey I actually have one of those lights that you wear on your head! I call it the headlight.

Deanne, Ive taken your advice and trimmed some of my large plants back. It certainly helps with the room.

I talked to DD this a.m. and she said Kenzie is so excited for her birthday on Saturday. I made a cute singing card on Smile Box that I will email to her.

Have a great day and dont forget to VOTE!

Michelle

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Just back from voting, over 2 hours in line and quite an interesting crowd. We usually have no lines here. I need food and a nap!

Eden

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Voted before work here. I was in line for about an hour. We had an interesting crowd too. It was amusing to listen to people and guess who would cancel each others votes out! LOL

We had police tell people to leave their cell phones at home. People would be talking in line and offend others. I hear there were some fights breaking out. I don't understand people sometimes. I could not believe some of the comments and ignorance spread around while waiting in line - and I'm not an easy person to offend!
    I will be glad when today is over.

Jerri

• jak1
    15 years ago

Hello all! A beautiful sunny Spring-like day up here in the frozen north!

After reading all the posts, I noted that PM2 suggested I need more "me" time. I realized then that I have vented long and loud about the things I have to do, but have not posted much about the fun part of my life.

So....

Today at noon we headed out to the Wine Deck (all our chores were done, right?) to barbecue burgers and enjoy the sun. We live about two blocks from the local high school, and we could hear lots of cheering coming from that direction. As DH was a big high school football hero we decided to head over to catch some of the action. It was the final game of a series with our guys against another Ottawa Valley team. The other team had not won a championship since 1995, so they were hungry! What a game!!! The other team won in the last 30 seconds by 1 point! The cheering was deafening! What a great way to spend a beautiful autumn afternoon!

On that cheerful note, I am off to the school bus.

I promise: Only fun things for you guys from me this week!!

Cheers!

Julie

• saucydog
    15 years ago

But Julie, you've inspired us all to get our Julie Jobs done! Your day sounds like a good one.

I voted. Pass my piece of election cake, Denise! No lines, but there was lots of buzz with the high school crowd hanging around. Jake wished he could vote this year. I feel very proud today.

I can't wait to hear how V.'s big time in the city went.

Eden, maybe I can selfishly think that with all the extra dark time during the evening hours, you'll join us more. I think about you and Honey each time the auto industry is mentioned, too. Fingers and toes crossed for Brad.

I didn't start The Lace Reader because the time change has made it impossible to hold my eyelids open for too long, so settled in with a borrowed FG magazine.

Nice to see you Deanne. Come up for air now and then, will you? How neat to have an on site "classroom"!

I know you're back to the long work week, Kathy, but I finally got your package out in the mail. If you don't like them, pass them on....no problem.

TTYL

Saucy

15 years ago

Denise - I made that Election Day cake today - but haven't tried it yet - it'll be dessert for supper..... It smells great! I diluted the icing a bit too much so a lot of it is in a puddle at the base instead of ornamentally on the top!

Beautiful day here. We went for a walk at the park along the lake this afternoon. We can't count on many more days like the ones in the forecast for all this week.

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

I've recovered nicely from the voting experience. I was having a few back spasms after standing for so long but I'm ok now.

Speaking of back pain, PM hope yours is much better! My best wishes to your daughter on venturing out into her own apartment too. Brad's and my first apartment was on the 3rd floor of a relatively new apartment complex back in the late 70s. I can still remember hauling bags of groceries up 3 flights of stairs when pregnant with Jennifer. We moved from there when she was about 3 weeks old. Lots of good memories from those days.

Chelone, I loved your chair collection. I've got assorted old chairs around here that the cats laze around on but nothing as cool as yours. We had accumulated quite a collection of old tables and dressers over the years that were all in the basement but in my decluttering phase of the last few years I've gotten rid of them and don't miss them a bit.

I thought of Cynthia the other day when I received the Plant World seed catalog. I know it's one of her favorites too and wondered if she was ordering anything this year.

Kathy, enchiladas sound good. Brad and I are going out for Mexican in a bit when he's finished working on patching one of the kitchen walls. I'm looking forward to the margaritas and guacamole most though. He's home tonight because auto workers have in their contract that election day is a paid day off. Unnecessary in my opinion. Seems everyone else is able to both work and vote.

Woody, funny that you're the one who made the election cake and you're in Canada. Let us know how it tastes. It sounds good too!

Saucy, maybe I'll pick up Lace Reader and read along with you all. I just finished my last book and was going to start The Shack but I can put that off.

Hi Deanne, sounds like you're keeping yourself busy as usual. You are always so productive. An inspiration to me!

Julie, sounds like a nice afternoon. I know firsthand that it can be exhausting taking care of a grandchild many hours a day. I admire you for doing such a good job raising your little guy. I love the idea of a wine deck!

Marie, Ric's right, you need to separate your friend's nephew from what happened with Reed. It's NOT fair I agree. I have a similar problem getting angry with older folks who constantly complain about this and that and seem to waste their later years when my mom would have endured just about anything to stay around. She still had so much living she wanted to do. But separating the two or just letting it go is best for me I've found.

Lots more I want to catch up on but Brad's putting things away so time for me to go for now.

Eden

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Voting early this a.m., around 7-ish, was quick and painless. It's shocking to read of such long waits many are experiencing. To the point of getting back spasms, Eden, that's awful. Your "window" conservatory sounds wonderful, another vote for photos, please.

Woody, that's great you went ahead and baked today...wish I did. Bet your house smells great. I do make a Finnish Braid bread from that same cookbook for Easter, and I like their crumble sour cream coffee cake too. The notes to farm wives and tips for economizing time are priceless.

I'm wondering if Saucy's cussonia and melianthus made the cut and were brought indoors. This is the second autumn I've shared with all of you, and it still staggers me, the amount of work involved with overwintering.

Chelone's chairs also brought a chuckle. That'd be my weakness as well, and I dare not contemplate what I'd do with such a vast room as the salon. I had a bent plywood chair jag for a while, and the boys' desk chairs are yellow vinyl-seated Thonets. I think our house is barely furnished, yet we've still got bruised knees from banging into too much stuff.

Rain snuck in about 3 a.m. Oct 31. I thought it was a drippy fog, but it was truly rain. More rain Sunday, too much to bike to the farmer's mkt, then another good downpour about the same time last night. Glorious. I had the dwarf olives planted in the nick of time.

Back to election results, and hoping V has a great party...

15 years ago

The cake tastes great! I highly recommend it...!

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Taking advantage of a few moments of internet connectivity-still having some issues, and have ordered an ATT technician for a house call next Monday. Reading and hearing of the lines to vote todayI was very strategic and voted at 10am, figured it was a good mid morning lull time, and I had no line . Heard Don Gagne on NPR on the way home from work reporting from Grant Park and though of V Hopefully I can get this posted before it goes belly-up again

Chelone , I guess I should feel good about collecting pottery-takes up lots less room than chairs ! Ive always wanted to have a slipper chair for my bedroom . I do have a Morris chair, but it is not the classic Stickley style, think it is from 20s or thereabouts. It was in dreadful condition when we got it back in the very early 80s.

Eden, I really need to have a Margarita sometime soon. Must make a mental note.

Thanks Saucy ! I will be excited to view my surprise package ..

Deanne, relieved to hear that you are in the midst of commotion instead of computer woes. How nice it sounds like everything will be when you finish. So are you planning on conducting private lessons for students when you get the studio up and running ? Why dont you just take cuttings of those abutilons and then toss (or neglect to death) the parent plant ? Looking forward to bird pics !

Michelle, I always refer to that stuff as mobile home paneling lol. One of my companys facilities is actually in a former mobile home manufacturing site, and all the offices have that horrid stuff- all have been painted white.

Julie, the wine deck calls to me ! I could have a wine patio, or a wine porch, as I have no deck. I do have a really unimpressive Wine Cellar, which is in fact the closet under the staircase-thats where all the good stuff is that is quickly losing its fruit. The last bottle I opened has seen better days.

Okay, Im going to post this while I still can

Kathy in Napa

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Sitting under this tree may not be able to ensure tranquility but it sure couldn't hurt! :-)

{{gwi:184799}}

• chelone
    15 years ago

I encountered no lines when I went to the polls at about 3PM yesterday. There was a young woman behind me who announced how excited she was to be casting her first vote. Everyone within earshot turned, smiled, and said something warmly encouraging to her. It filled me with hope to see her excitement. I thought of V. last night, too, as they panned across the crowd in Chicago. But what really, really touched me was the sight of tears running down the cheeks of Jesse Jackson. I thought of what a long road it's been since that April day on the balcony of the Lorraine Hotel and I don't think I've felt prouder in a very long time. Can't wait to hear V.'s report, though I may just fall asleep reading it.

It was bound to happen. I went into the Lab. to do some sewing yesterday and neither pair of my upholstery shears were where I put them when I'm finished with them. Blood pressure rising, I "rounded up the usual suspect". "Um... oh yeah, I think I used them. Didn't I put them back?". He spent 20 somewhat frantic minutes looking in vain and was unable to locate them. I exploded then settled into an icy indictment of sloppy work habits and the unmitigated gall required to take someone else's property without permission and then LOSE it. He was stunned to learn that I paid well over $50/pair and that was 15 yrs. ago. Perhaps an expensive lesson from an irate wife will make the point once and for all. Now you won't feel so bad about grousing about the Phils, Julie! :)

It was beautiful yesterday, highs in the 60s and there is supposed to be a repeat of it today, though clouds are to roll in later in the day. Nice weather means I will be working alone in the shop and will be able to listen to Diane Rehm today. Yippee!

Talkatchalater.

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Bleary eyed from not wanting to miss a thing last night, but the wonderful song (hymn made popular by Cat Stevens) "Morning Has Broken" keeps going through my head. Seems to sum up the moment....

Nothing much new here so will wave and check back in later to see if V has gotten out of Grant Park, yet. LOL

Oh!@!!!!! PM and anyone else -- Suggest a mid-December date for Logee's. Even during the week would work for me though weekends would be a bit more relaxed. Saucy?? Sue?? Deanne?? Wendy?? others???

Martie

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

I'm stealing a minute to say HOWDY to all. Harvest is clicking right along. Sounds like rain tomorrow, and I could use a couple of days off.
    V, I hope you had a spectacular time at the party last night!!! I thought of you all night, and would have loved to be there. Lines here were about 2 hours. I'm glad DH and I voted early and avoided all that. Yesterday was beautiful, and I'd have had my work cut out to pull him away to do his duty.
    Have a good one, all. The corn is waiting :)
    Brenda

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Good morning....and what a nice morning! I was so tired last night and for a change I slept like a log. It is beautiful out my window because our second Maple that is always the last to turn is now a gorgeous yellow/orange. Wow, over night it really colored up! I just tried to take a photo, but the sun is not up yet and even though the light is very pretty this morning, my skills at capturing it with the camera are too limited and all I am getting is gray. I am still using 'Automatic' on the camera....[g]. So instead, I will have to share Saturday's photo of the front Maple .....can't get enough of the fall foliage and it's almost gone!

{{gwi:184801}}

Denise...you didn't bake yesterday?! [g] Baking around our house is almost nonexistent. Your recipe and cookbook sound really good though. I was very into baking when I was in High School and then I worked for a French Bakery for awhile and put on 20 pounds very quickly with all the leftover croissants they sent us home with and I decided I ought to take up a new hobby. [g] So, it doesn't look like you settled down on a mountain...I always wanted to live by the ocean, but here I am. I would have also liked a mountain. Happy for you that you are getting rain! New olive trees? Photos?

Mary....So, how long have you been gardening professionally? It sounds like you had a very productive summer and I am amazed that the ladies you worked with would go to the trouble of making you rice and beans. I would probably have to twist the arm of anyone in my own family to do that for me...lol. Not my immediate family, who do it for me all the time, but extended family for sure. I am sure you hope they will have you back again. It is always such a pleasure to work with someone that makes it a happy experience. Did you take any photos of your jobs?

Hello Deanne... :-) Glad to hear your computer is working without issues and that you are staying busy. You must be enjoying your bird photography again. Did you ever get your new lens?

Michelle...how old is Kenzie going to be?

Hi Jerri....how are you feeling?

Julie....I'm sorry, I think I was too brief in my comment about your having more fun. What I should have said was that I can certainly get caught in worrying and it starts to pull me down, if I am not careful. I am sure we all know how that goes. And as far as venting about how much you have to do, you do a LOT and have every reason to start to feel a little resentment creep in there when you are doing more than your share and then some. I do have some experience in this area. My DH is someone who will take on too much responsibility, his own and everyone else's. When we had guests he would refuse to allow them to pick up a plate when they were in the house and would jump out of his chair to get whatever anyone was missing to the point that even the guests would complain that he was trying to do too much. [g] All of us really appreciated his giving ways, but we wanted to give back and every spontaneous urge to do so was met with his unwillingness for someone to do something for him. He has since reformed to a degree, but every once in awhile, those old ways creep back in there...lol. So, at least in our house, one of the biggest reasons, that others in the house were doing too little was because DH was doing too much. Of course, I think because you are a homemaker and wife/mother, the lines are harder to see and people expect something different, so our situation is not exactly like yours. But the bottom line is, that allowing others to do their share is a necessity and a gift. Every heartfelt offer to help should be generously and enthusiastically accepted! :-) I think it becomes hard when someone is more capable or more organized than the others and they have a hard time being patient with something being done not up to their standards, but in the end, patience is rewarded. Relationships, aren't they fun? [g]

Anyway, glad to hear you all had a great afternoon. Definitely qualified as fun! So, was Tuesday a holiday there? Is Ottawa the city that has the canal that you can skate on for miles?

Chelone...my pet peeve is the 'shared' household scissors and tape measure that are always supposed to be returned to the kitchen drawer. :-) We have finally gotten all to put the flashlight where it is supposed to be. Oops! Maybe because they rarely use it. lol

Woody....you are so lucky, you bake all the time and never seem to put on a pound! :-)

Eden...sorry to hear your back is acting up. Is that an old injury? My back is getting there, thanks for asking. :-) I always enjoyed being on the third floor and looking out the windows but yes, getting up the stairs gets old fast. Your DH sounds like he is very handy. Does he help with the painting in the kitchen too? Are we going to see photos of the kitchen when it is done? I would also like to see photos of your indoor gardening area.

Does anyone know what happened to Cynthia and Cindy? It's been awhile since they were posting regularly. It's always a mystery to me when someone posts often and then nothing. :-)

Martie....As soon as you said mid December, I thought, really? lol I had forgotten that our Decembers are crazy around here. We have Channukah and Christmas to celebrate with DH's BD thrown in just to add to the madness. November is too soon for my back, so I am afraid I am going to have to reneg. Any chance mid January would not be too long to wait?

Brenda....hoping for rain for you. :-)

That's all for me today....enjoy the day...
    pm2

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Oh...I forgot to share, that DD called us last night about 6pm, she had arrived home from work, Day 3 of living in her new apartment, and realized she left her house key at work! [g] Thankfully it was a warm night for her to be sitting on the front steps waiting for roommate to come home. :-) She had a good laugh about it. Moving...takes a lot out of you. One of the fifteen times I moved in my life, I remember running out of gas about four times in one month and locking my keys in the car twice. lol

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Good morning all, from a wayward idyller - I hope I can catch back up --

I confess I decided to get involved in the local politics about 6 weeks ago, and working hard in this election that seemed to matter to me much -- it was fun, tiring, energizing but took most of my free time -- and I have had a trial prep to work on that happened in the last week of October --

so here I am, back to hopefully get back in the loop and want see what's been happening in the world here for the last month!

I just caught a quick glance that V was in that crowd last nite somewhere -- rats, I didnt see her -- but was there in spirit!! Look forward to a report soon.

--Cindy

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

I am at DH's office while he is teaching. Then we go to his voice lesson (I'll be reading my book) and then home to walk Phoebe, then the dentist appointments....

I've enjoyed so many catch-up posts and would comment on things had I the time: election, first apartments, garden activity, samosas, wedding dresses, jobs and work, chairs, etc.

My mood has been terrible. Perhaps because of the colonoscopy yesterday, but I think more than that. All is well physically. Last night while listening to the radio news (my computer shot in every way) Phoebe chewed on the quilt i was warming myself with. But it was DH I was furious with because he was sharing the quilt, an antique favorite I had bought myself several years ago, and was playing all sorts of chewing games with the dog. I asked him NOT to do this repeatedly. I asked him not to let her chew things in the house. I asked him to be especially careful of my quilt. So he is the totally oblivious professor and hides her Kong under the quilt and of course she chewed up the quilt. I am still pissed and he doesn't even know it. He is like this about so many things, he wouldn't have a clue what he did if i did yell and scream.

Last evening my friends phoned to tell me that the young man with meningitis is being let go from life support after several strokes. Now that does not make me happy obviously. In fact it makes me sick to my stomach, as though I had asked for it.

I am glad many are reading The Lace Reader. I will be very interested in opinions and wish Kathy could hurry up and move it ahead on her list. I don't want to prejudice anyone when opinion time comes! Presently we are reading The Open Road by Pico Iyer, about the fourteenth Dalai Lama. I love that we are reading such a variety of books this year, not just novels.

I am looking out the window now at students on a sunny day, in their jackets with backpacks, waiting for buses. A new building is being erected in the distance, where a parking lot used to be.

I have not spoken to Sarah since last Sunday, and have not had updates because of computer woes. She has posted a few photos of Peru on her family's website. DS has had a tough week or two with former girlfriend who is seeking a donor so she can start a family....This is his second request of this nature, as far as I know. Something about women approaching 40! Poor guy was really upset to say no, fearing losing an important friend in his life. OYYYY!

OK, I must turn this keyboard over to DH. Hope to be back by the weekend, but who knows?
    'bug

• jak1
    15 years ago

Hey, PM2, no need to apologize...a little nudge now and then helps one to steer a more balanced course!

No, Tuesday was not a holdiay here, but DH and I both left our jobs when Adrian came, knowing that there would be lots of stressful legal issues and that we would likely take custody of the baby. We both had responsible jobs and were close to retirement anyway, so it was a very good decision for us. Yes, Ottawa has an amazing winter attraction . The Rideau Canal is now a World Heritage Site. In a stroke of brilliance many years ago the city decided to clear the canal of snow for a distance of about ten miles and open it up for free skating. There are hot chocolate vendors and Beavertail vendors (A Beavertail is a flat pastry, kind of like donut dough, deep fried and sprinkled with toppings like cinnamon or lemon and sugar. Absolutely delicious!). You can also rent skates if you don't have any, or ice sleds if your kids are tiny. They hold a great two week festival called Winterlude every year and there are many many activities related to this. I have skated the whole length of that canal rink many times, often with my kids. I would even take them out of school for a day, take them on the commuter bus to the city, have breakfast at one end, skate with them to the other, have a late lunch, see the ice scuptures etc., and bring them back on the commuter bus again. Ahhhh, what wonderful memories!!

I hope your collective backs are steadily improving. I remember all too well DH's chronic back ills a long time ago - he's pretty good now though.

Want to gear something creepy? Adrian was born twenty-five years to the very day and hour after my Father's death. His birthday is always a strange kind of anniversary for us as a result. And my sister has a great-grandchild (yeah, she is MUCH older than I *grin*) who was born on the anniversary of my Mother's death. Both of our parents passed away in November so we all feel a little out of sorts, accompanied by the time change and the season....Wierd, huh? As my daughter says "Oh yeah, everything happens for a reason, you are SUPPOSED to have this kid....". Kind of gives me the willies...

Although it is early, my daily clean up is just about done. I will find a JJob, like always, but this afternoon we will hike over to the library and then head down to beautiful Stewart Park, a large area in the center of town, donated by early Perth families to the town with the provision that no charge ever be levied for activities that take place there! We have a great three-day music festival there every year, completely free.

Perth had several Olympians this year, one of whom has been well known in World Equestrian circles for many years. There is a wonderful bronze statue of him (Ian Miller on Big Ben) at the entrance to the park. I will try the photo thing: But on a separate thread as it might slow things down too much here. And I have to find it. And resize it. Anid I will likely lose this post if I try to do all these things at once *LOL*

Watch for it!

Cheers,

Julie

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

A picture of the conservatory as requested. We had 16 windows to work with and used them all. Just to give you an idea it's approx. 4'x6' and just over 8' tall. The front doors both open so it's easy to walk inside. It's hard to see but the handle in an old glass doorknob. It doesn't have it's finishing touches yet...I have ideas for embellishments in the spring like a little chandelier hanging inside and twinkle lights and some 'gingerbread'. I want it to become sort of a fairy house. Also the plastic on the ends is just for winter so I can protect some plants inside. This will give you an idea though...

{{gwi:184803}}

Eden

• deanneart
    15 years ago

A quick good morning here. We went to vote yesterday around 5:30PM and got right in and out with no problems.

Kathy, yes Ill be running seminars for six to eight people about once a month when I get things up and running here. I really am tired of the travel teaching and Im planning to be permanently off the road.

Yes indeed I finally did buy the new lens after I almost backed down again. Doug had a fit with my indecision and made me do it! LOL It really was worth every penny of the price and is a fabulous piece of equipment. I cant wait to have some time to get out and do some field work with it. Im getting some great images here of my garden birds.

Eden, cant believe you had to wait two hours in a line to vote. Thats a pain.

Bug, that quilt thing is the sort of stuff Doug used to do. I no longer keep quiet about things that I really care about. I do have a bit of a break down from time to time over inconsiderate behavior like that.

Cindy, great to see you!

PM that shot of your yard is lovely! Such pretty fall color.

OK Im out of time and have to get off this computer.

Have a great day!
    Deanne

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Eden,your glasshouse is fabulous! This was a picture I've saved and I thought it was interesting that it was so similar to yours. Did Brad just connect the windows or did he make some kind of frame?
    {{gwi:184805}}

Julie, the canal skating rink sounds like fun. I skate on our pond in winters where we have little snow otherwise its too much work to clear it.

I have to commend those of you who waited in line to vote. I spent some time last night calling people reminding them to vote. I only had 2 hangups.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Deanne does with her new lens.

Good to see Cindy pop in.

Pm, your tree is lovely. We don't have any on the yard that get such nice color. Some of the maples in the grove do and we can see them in the distance. Kenzie will turn 4 and like Bella she says the cutest things these days.

I must get back to work.

Michelle

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Eden, the conservatory came out a peach. You and Brad are a great design/build team.

Julie, your description of Rideau Canal is lovely. What a magical thing for a city to do. Paris brings in loads of sand to make a narrow beach on the banks of the Seine in August, when the town empties out except for those who can't afford to leave. Beach chairs are set up and, voila, instant vacation. I love to hear of such examples. Your canal reminds me of Joni Mitchell's River lyrics: "I wish I had a river to skate away on." Wonder if she's referring to the canal?

Last night I ignored the news channels and watched a docu on Fellini, which seemed perfect for the occasion ;>) Dune and I did watch the concession and acceptance speeches, and a neighbor knocked to invite us for champagne. Since we were already in jammies, we stayed home. A lovely night overall.

Cindy, we've missed your sparkling company, but I'm so proud of you!

Maybe the quilt can be mended, 'bug? I wish you could get a change of scene too, maybe a short trip with Lynn (did I remember the name right?)

Chelone, nothing on the order of the scissors caper, but Marty & I had an interesting moment yesterday when he bumped into the stand holding the succulent orb, which I spent hours on recently sprucing up. Off it rolled like a bowling ball, snapping stems and leaves in its wake. If I hadn't just worked on it I would've probably junked it, but instead dashed off for some 2-inch pots to clean it up, and it looks better than ever. Some of the succulents were just too big anyway. I told Marty he's built up a lot of good will ;) I felt awful over caring for the silly orb, awful that he felt so awful, etc. Silly stuff. Hope you find those scissors...

Brenda, I have to admit my view of cornfields has been colored by the movie Signs. So verdant and wholesome, but who knows what evil lurks deep in the field...bwahaaha

Deanne, I'm so glad Doug talked you into the new lens!

Michelle, that's amazing your glasshouse photo is so similar.

Better get some transcripts moving. Glad you had a good night's sleep, PM.

Sorry, but I couldn't resist. Sing it, Ray!

• chelone
    15 years ago

Eden, the first thing I thought of when I saw that grand conservatory was a gingerbread house (and sure enough Michelle posted another picture in the same vein)! I love the glass doorknob, too, it's going to look fabulous when you've had some time to come up with clever "embellishments". Have you ever used a scroll saw? If not, you would love it, it's the perfect tool for cutting "gingerbread" and it was a favorite passtime of proper Victorian ladies (probably when they tired of painting porcelain, lol). Hope the back settles down soon.

Nice to see Cindy drop in. Your absence is excused given your commitment to the local political scene. I'm very impressed and know well that it probably did manage to soak up all your "free" time. I've started referring to the shop as the "awfice" now, you know! I missed V. in the crowd, too, Cindy. ;)

Julie, I had a lovely customer (in her mid 70s now) who grew up in Ottawa and she told me all about the canal several years ago. The other thing she told me was that when she and her friends were about 16 yrs. old the typical birthday gift was a beaver coat because it was the warmest solution for a well-heeled young lady's winter attire. It's always so nice when a community makes a commitment to the future enjoyment of the populace. Even nicer when people make the effort to get out and enjoy it. I'm likin' the sound of a Beaver Tail, generally anything with sugar and enough fat to clog the arteries appeals to me. Mmmm. I've not been on ice skates since I was about 13!

And nice that 'bug hooked a ride with DH so she could do some readin' and writin' on Daddy-o's 'puter. Were you suffering from the DTs? Pent up grief and frustration with a situation over which you have no control leads to outbursts sometimes. Anyone who knows you will cut you some slack for it, of that I'm certain.

It will be fun to see the beauty Deanne will capture with the new lens (should we send thanks to Doug?). I'd like to see your "classroom", too. I don't blame you for wanting to bag the travel and teach at home. I desperately want to bag the daily "commute", too. Think of the time you will save, not to mention money and wear/tear on the ride. Do you have any notion of when you'll be able to begin classes? it all sounds very exciting.

A chewed quilt would send me right over the edge, too, 'bug. The helpmeet is sort of dense about things like that; I was furious when he casually draped a damp towel over the lovely tilt top tea table my aunt had decorated with a Chinoiserie scene, leaving water marks on the finish. I will have to have it restored by a professional when I'm able to locate one in the area. Things broken in the course of normal usage don't bother me much, but things ruined by carelessness/thoughtlessness bother me a great deal... it hurts my feelings when things I love are treated as if they are unimportant. My brother is the same way and we evidently inherited the gene from Mum. ;)

I did manage to find ONE pair of shears after spending 15 minutes sifting through cardboard cartons full of the tools used on the deck project (putting tools in boxes is his idea of putting them "away"). They were out in the barn and the humidity had already started to rust the blades (not a really big deal). I checked a variety of other logical places for the other pair to no avail. I can't for the life of me understand how he can fail to understand/appreciate that tools in MY workroom are necessary for MY trade and I cannot easily ply my trade unless they are readily available for MY use when I need them. It's really a pretty simple concept.

Excellent link to Ray Charles, Denise. It really sums it up pretty well. :)

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Oh my, our kitchen is a disaster. The stove and refrigerator are in the middle of the room and the gas to the stove is disconnected. Bella and I are having Stouffers mac & cheese from the toaster oven. I keep telling myself that it has to get worse before it gets better. On top of that Brad changed the time on the furnace thermostat and now the furnace won't kick on. I've put in a call to him at work but haven't heard back yet. Good thing it's a mild evening.

Michelle, your picture is very similar to an inspiration pic I have saved too. I think Brad did use some strips of wood for reinforcement inside the conservatory but there wasn't much to putting it together. He built the whole thing in one morning before he went to work.

Marie, good you were able to use dh's work computer to read and post. Brad does silly things like that with our dog too. I always tell him just when I get Bella and Bud settled down he can't wait to stir them up. Must be a man thing. I'm sorry your quilt was damaged.

Cindy, I was about send you an email and check on you. Good to know you were just busy and hopefully now you can get back in the swing of idylling again. I know when I get out of the habit it's hard to jump back in.

Chelone, good you found you shears. I learned early on from my mom not to use good sewing scissors for anything but fabric.

PM, I'll get a picture of the kitchen when it's finished which could be a while. I'd like to have it done before time for the Christmas decorations so that's extra motivation. Actually, truth be told, Brad's doing all of the scrapping and sanding and most of the painting. When I say "we" I often mean "Brad". I'm the idea girl, he's mostly the executor of my ideas :)

My back's fine. Just a few spasms walking back to the car after voting. Nothing long lasting.

Kathy, where oh where is that promised picture of Aidan?

Denise, enjoyed listening to Ray. Thanks for that.

Deanne, sounds like things are falling in place for you and Doug to do work from home. How great that is. Glad he talked you into getting the new lens too. You deserve it with the talent you have and how much you'll put it to use.

Julie, I'd like the beavertails. I love anything having to do with pastry or dough.

V, I love the wedding dress that future dil has chosen. Your story about changing lanes just in time gave me a chill. I'm so glad you were safe and sound.

Martie, what a beautiful bride you were. Wish I was close enough to make your Logees trip. I know I'd just love that place.

Mac and cheese buzzer just went off so time to feed Bella. I may just pass and make a sandwich I think. Have a good evening.

Eden

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Trying to get back to the habit - you're so right, Eden! I just took 2 hours reading just this thread and the last # one, trying to catch up on what's going on w/ everyone. The commitment to the election was a blood sucker, but worth it; not something I'd want to do as a norm though -- and having avoided much of it having lived in this "political swamp" of the last 20 some years, that's pretty good - guess I was overdue for the commitment.

Im sorry to hear about some of the layoffs - so far so good at my place; they'll probably cut out some partner lunches and events; they're pretty good at watching the bottom line - but who knows what holds for next year? Having been thru these things over the years, wherein I often have the knack of changing jobs and the economy tanks, I've learned that the tough love (break the news, give the checks out and pink slips and walk 'em to the door) is much the healthier thing for all...

Im laughing about the chair collection, Chelone -- Im a table person myself. I also love old furniture, esp. the classic federal; but have learned to appreciate somehow figuring out how to furnish eclecticly.

Beautiful fall photos -- altho we had a couple frost and a close freeze, that durned salvia leucantha is actually still blooming, LOL, Denise! they sure do become behemoths.

Im having a hard time believing it's going to be thanksgiving soon -- where has this year gone? do I sound old or what?

O - quick comment (too many to for my feeble brain to recall all) but some reassurance to Jerri - I have a dear friend diagnosed w/ Crohns last year; she's been taking the auto-immune drugs to treat and had some luck w/ it -- good doctor specialist seems to be key; I have another friend who's had since she was 19 - like Mary's DH, she's managed it pretty well - she's almost 60 .... so many new and better treatments for it -- and it's amazing they've learned it's an auto-immune family -- progress is advancing. So chin up, Jerri.

Eden - what a gorgeous conservatory that's going to be! I envision just like Michelle's posted.

Well, Chloe's badgering me to retire to the boudoir, LOL -- she rules the roost here (might have something to do w/ the bad habit she's developed, wonder what that happened, of wanting a bedtime "snack" treat???

A bientot...

Cindy

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good eventide out to the Idylls, we had frost on the roof this morning but evidently did not sink to the ground as I still have impatiens, zinnias, basil and dahlias, though looking careworn one and all.

Do you suppose V is still trying to find a taxi ? I stayed up past my bedtime last night, but was glad I did. I was quite a scene, and look forward to hearing the inside scoop from our reporter .. And as an aside, I remember the dawning of the realization that most ML baseball players were younger than me, including those I characterized as old. So is it a defining moment when the President of the US is younger than ones self ?

Chelone, when all my family was at home I had chronic problems with missing scissors, and scotch tape. I bought an extra pair of scissors and several rolls of tape and hid them. I never revealed the hiding place to anyone (including DH) and always re-hid when I was through with them. It worked very well.

Howdy to you too Brenda..hope your mind and heart is on the rebound.

Cindy, so glad you checked in with us. Im glad to know your absence was in pursuit of worthwhile endeavors (though the awfice always rears its ugly head) and hope you will jump right in

Very pretty shot PM..I noticed today how quickly the leaves are falling, though three days of heavy rains are certainly a contributing factor. I always enjoy your perspectives on family dynamics (for want of a better description) and I believe you have both a curious mind and a somewhat analytical nature . Sometimes seeing things that others dont can be a burden, but more often it helps us work through the challenges we encounter and helps us to be more accepting of the defects of others and more able to admit to our own.

bug, I think people who have a very strong intellectual life sometimes just dont comprehend details. Its a shame about your quilt. I could happily move The Lace Reader up on my list! Give me a week and it shall be so !...

Eden , the conservatory is so fabu-fabu !! I just love it. As for pics of Aiden, DS took all the photos this trip and has still not put them on the computer. Ill have to give him another nudge.

Ok, Id better go read..though I will check in later to see if V has provided us with one of her late hour posts..

Kathy in Napa

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

A very tired V checking in here. Grant Park last night was absolutely amazing, and even though I am exhausted now, it was worth every minute. The city skyline was in rare form, with some buildings sporting red and blue lights and others creating flags or "USA" with the office lights. The weather could not have been more perfect - I forgot my jacket at the last minute, was in a light sweater all evening and never was chilled.

But the best part had to be the people, all 240,000 of them. Everyone was polite, well-behaved and completely ecstatic at all the proper times. It took some time to get into the park, but it was well-managed and carefully staged so that no area became overcrowded. When we left, the surrounding streets had all been closed to traffic and so the crowd simply filled the streets. Kathy and Mary, can you picture Michigan Avenue filled with people instead of cars?

I'm sure that no one saw me; we ended up just about at the point where the crowd becomes faceless. Although at one point I was next to a Today Show reporter, but not within the camera shot. Since I never watch the show, I don't know who he was! Nice looking, though.

One of the highlights of the evening came at 10:00 pm. We all expected that the closing of the polls in California would wrap things up, but CNN played it well. They did a ten-second countdown, which the crowd called out as well, and then they flashed a "Obama elected President" graphic on the screen. The jubilation was overwhelming! It was shortly after that that Jesse Jackson was pictured on the screen, and I also found it very moving.

More than once I thought back to 1968, when the riots after MLK's assasination inched close to my neighborhood, National Guard troops were camped in the local park, and helicopters flew overhead to monitor the situation. And of course the convention rioting took place on the very streets we walked to reach the celebration. (In fact, as we were looking for a garbage can to dispose of some trash, I chuckled at one of the legacies of 1968 - no metal baskets would be heaved through the windows of the Conrad Hilton in 2008; there were none to be found!) The peaceful, loving celebration of this historic election couldn't be more different than the events of 1968.

Getting a subway out of the city was amazingly quick. Our plan to stay in Rosemont also worked well, except that the hotel charged me $30 to park for 13 hours! Yes, we paid for a room overnight as well. I've never been a fan of the Rosemont area, and that parking charge has not encouraged me to visit again.

I took some photos, but they're still on the camera. Not enough working brain cells to download them tonight.

No long lines to vote at my polling place. It took me about ten minutes to vote. I was quite impressed to find out that DS was in line at 5:45 am so he could vote before work. I don't think he's ever been anywhere at 5:45 am! It did take him about 30 minutes to get through the line.

Ssh! did you hear that? My bed is calling...

V.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Almost forgot about this-a fellow employee turned me on to this house in south Napa, and I drove down at lunch today to take a photo. It would have been better yesterday before our near freeze, but you get the idea...
    {{gwi:184807}}From brugs

Kathy in Napa ..with no blooms on mine

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

I had missing scissors, tape etc. until DH put a lock on a bench with a lid and only I knew the combination. No need for that anymore as DH rarely uses that stuff. As for fabric scissors, my mom gave me a nice pair that came with their own wooden box with velvet lining. It is oh so nice that when I do cut fabric to have that nice pair.

Eden, how are you going to use the conservatory? What will you winter in it? Now I really want one! I told DH to keep his eyes peeled for old windows. I think it would be cute in the Secret Garden area. Do you have Hobby Lobby in your area? I've gotten some metal scroll work there for my shed and the playhouse. They have it pretty inexpensive and run 50% off sales alot.
    You are lucky to have Brad to carry out your ideas. I'm full of ideas but mostly I have to carry them out myself.

I primed the bedroom wall tonight, but there is some more sanding on the other walls that will have to wait for another night.

Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

V, I think we co-posted..where is Rosemont ? Northside, Southside? What length of Michigan Ave was closed to traffic? 1968 my friends and I went to the Ambassador Hotel in LA on the night of the Ca. primary. Crowds were huge and could not get in. As it turned out, a horrible night. I am pretty cynical most of the time, but emotions I had last night took me by surprise, and I think my mind was connecting with the youthful idealism of 1968, and how that felt. It was pretty powerful. No matter what happens going forward, how cool for you to witness such a historical event.

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    15 years ago

Have any of you had the unrivalled pleasure of dealing with one of those digital converter boxes we will have to have for our TVs come February? We bought one the other day and the helpmeet dutifully hooked it up. We do not have cable TV anymore, so if we want to pick up our usual 5 channels on our 15 yr. old set we have to have one. It has proven quite finicky and doubly galling is the fact that we had to pay $20 (on top of the "coupon value") to leave the store with it. What a pain in the neck.

V., I was quite certain you would have a grand time in Grant Park. It fills me with hope to know that there are so many other souls who've thumbed their noses at the reign of fear. I confess tears welled up in my eyes, too. Cracked me up that you didn't know who the Today reporter was, you sound like me (but I'll bet you could ID Daniel Schorr). ;) Can't wait to see the pictures.

Deanne will be in complete awe of the Brugmansia you posted, Kathy. I'll bet if she works at it she'll be able to propagate enough of them to cover the fence on the "container" side of her yard... ya think?

Michelle, I have an exciting weekend planned with joint compound. You must be thrilled to eradicate more of the icky panelling, I know I would be! It's fun for me to read about the fun stuff going on at your home and Eden's, I love doing stuff like that, too.

Helpmeet has told me he will get going on the framing for the raised hearth on Monday/Tuesday. In the meantime I have to get a scale drawing of the hearth surface together and go order some tile for it. There is about a week's lead time to order it. And I have to made a decision about how to finish the edges; use over-edge tiles or simply put a barrier there and set the tile level with it... not sure about that, given my fledgling skills. Maybe Mary will chime in and give some of her hard earned advice on the subject.

Time to get going; I desperately want to finish the interior job I've been toiling over for what feels like forever. All the cushions are bevelled (shaped to fit against the hull) and all are fully covered in batting. It feels like a life sentance and the owner is an ENGINEER (deliver me, please!) who thinks he has the inside track on fabric because of it. He doesn't quite understand that one doesn't measure cushions in microns... :)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Good morning....

Eden, what an adorable conservatory! I can't imagine how DH put that together in a morning. I'm impressed! I do like the idea of the twinkle lights...a fairy house is a great theme. So can you keep plants inside it for the winter, and which plants are you trying? Hope you won't be out of commission with the kitchen for long. Brad is a gem and I hope he knows it. I agree with Denise, you make a great team.

Well, Hello Cindy! Mystery solved! :-) We've missed you, nice to see you back. It sounds like you have been very busy. I know how hard it is to catch up once you've been away....we all know [g]...just jump in and don't worry about catching up.

Gardenbug...so sorry about your quilt. I hope it can be repaired too. It sounds like a very frustrating situation with DH, but if you realize he is like this about a lot of things, then it does sound like it is the way he is wired. Maybe right now, the grief you are going through has to be magnifying everything else that is a usual problem too. It just makes it so hard to solve problems from a position of strength, so it might be better to let yourself get to a better place with your grief before you tackle problems that can be deferred. Problems have come looking for you for sure and I'm really sorry about that. As for Phoebe chewing everything in sight, I watch that show 'It's Me or the Dog' with a dog trainer solving dog problems and one I remember she suggested for chewing was to take a wet hand towel [old socks?] and roll it up and tie a knot in the middle of it and freeze it and give it to her to chew on.

Julie....Loved hearing about the Rideau Canal and what fun you and the kids had when they were little. We would have loved that. I have heard about the Beavertails too, what a treat with hot chocolate, yum!

Deanne....glad you liked our fall color. :-) I think it is great you are planning on working from home. Wonderful that you and Doug get along so well that you both can work from home and not drive each other crazy. I can only imagine what gorgeous photos you will be taking with the new equipment. Hard to imagine you could improve over what you have already done.

Michelle...that is very close to what Eden has started, how funny. I do love the embellishments and I can just picture Eden with the jigsaw already, Chelone. [g] I forgot that Kenzie and Bella are almost the same age. I hope someone is recording some of the cute things she is saying. You will love having it later.

Denise...sorry about your Succulent Orb. I've had very similar incidents and felt the same way. Like the time DH helped me weed and pulled out a small blueberry bush that had just been planted recently. How could he not realize a bush was not a weed?! lol That was a long time ago, so I can laugh about it now. :-)

Kathy....you have hit the nail on the head, curious and analytical. I wish I could turn it off sometimes, but it's not so easy to do. [g] I think that is why I enjoy gardening so much, it is a physical activity that does turn it off to some degree. Glad you enjoyed my fall colors. We will be getting rain soon and bare branches will be right behind it I'm sure. I was just wondering, hearing you talk about frost...I had the impression your growing season was a lot longer than ours and assumed frost would be a lot later than us. How many days is your growing season, and from when to when? Wow, on those brugs..I can just imagine how fragrant they were. I thought of Deanne as well.

Chelone...do you have a long 'commute' to work every day?

Well...nothing new to report from here, except it is very warm for November. Sleeping with the window open still. No new foliage photos today, but here is a Hellebore that has finally settled in from it's move a few weeks ago. I moved it closer to the kitchen door, under our Japanese Maple and I am already liking it there. They really get big! I've added more bulbs and some Japanese Painted Ferns. That area will need a nice sprucing up in the spring with a fresh layer of mulch.

Have a good day... :-)

{{gwi:184809}}

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Good morning.

Class was on herb gardens last night. I have to say that the Idylls have the best examples of anything he shows in class....last night I kept thinking that Michelle's potager would've replaced several of the slides he was showing :)

I turned in a half hearted project. I've been busy with other things and just wasn't "in to" this one. It is a plan for an alpine garden....something I've had on my mind since the first IU and our trip to Arrowhead Alpines. I have a good base to build upon, now, and I forgot how amusing the catalog is....I'm going to order one for winter reading.

V., Thank you for taking the time to tell us first hand what it was like to be in Grant Park! I have had a lump in my throat every time I think of the moment I realized that it was going to happen! I think the youth of this country probably feels a bit of what the youth of the sixties felt....if you can ever compare. My children certainly have many ideas (more than I remember having) and did experience 9/11 right along with the rest of us.

Way to be a real part of the action, Cindy! Good to have you back :)

GB, I am married to the man who can't wrap his head around anything but his own affairs. Early in our marriage he dremeled some table legs to death (a good way to get around the tedious sanding part...)....antique table legs that belonged to my grandmother. It's been down hill ever since. Sometimes he is a clod. I am trying to get used to that idea.

Kathy, if I start cuttings now, maybe my tropical garden can have a large brug showing....lol....I have grandiose ideas and no one to carry them out.

Denise, I did bring the cussonia in, but the melianthus is still green and hanging out in a protected area by the back door! I might just bring it in now. The cussonia was covered with spider mites, so I've been physically removing the bugs, but the coolest thing happened: the ladybugs hatching from the upstairs bath windows (don't ask) found the cussonia and are cleaning up the spider mites for me! Good lesson for the kids...who are now collecting straggling lady bugs and carrying them to the plants for their predatory duties.

Well, time to catch a bus.

Saucy

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Last post here...

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA