Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

Idyll #491... The Golden Season

dodgerdudette
13 years ago

I hope we can all share the beauty as the season turns , I love this time of year !

Carry on Idylls !

Comments (101)

• gardenbug
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It was a beautiful carefree day for me. DH worked hard on a submission to a Ministry and I only did minor editing. In the morning I weeded almost all of the asparagus patch. After lunch I made cranberry sauce with pecans for our Thanksgiving meal tomorrow. Then I planted some hostas in a shady spot, hoping they'll suppress weeds there when they reach a better size. I also cut back some iris and phlox and watered a few clematis and other plants. Later we drove to town to get gas for the mower and a few groceries.

I made Pad Thai for dinner, something DH is fond of, and he washed up all the dishes and pots & pans! YEAH! I had done a load of laundry at breakfast time and have one more load to go before he packs for his trip. I've started knitting a hat for Ivy and also have a book to read for book club, The Mistress of Nothing.

They say it will likely rain tomorrow, so I may get some of these things done!

Oh, I thought I had mastered teaching Phoebe a new skill with hand signs, moving backwards. It worked well in our back room yesterday, but today she couldn't do it, perhaps because it was a different location. It is a useful skill at times. I hope she masters it again!

The crows around here have been gathering by the thousands. Quite the spooky atmosphere!

Balloon Flower Foliage
    {{gwi:184907}}

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I rushed out to see my balloon flower (I have the dwarf ) and green brown and yellow is all to be seen. I think I need an upgrade.

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

The photos this weekend are quite entertaining. The Ruth Bancroft Garden pictures really interest me. Tanner (Rick's 7 year old grandson) asked me the other day why I have so many cactus? I told him they are just cool plants. Plus they thrive on neglect.

As for balloon flowers some seem to have lovely fall foliage and others not at all. The tall purple ones I have don't and the tall white ones are bright yellow right now.

Drema, what stunning fall colors in your picture. We drove to town this afternoon and took what I call the scenic route. The road winds around several lakes and the trees, grasses and shrubs are such pretty colors.

Saucy's tropical bathroom is absolutely the best. What fun your family must have had arranging that. I'm thinking that a fall festival at Tower Hill sounds like a wonderful outing.

Chelone, isn't it wonderful to have a day that you smile about at the end. I love productive days.

Woody, your bulb display sounds interesting. Are you planting in grass? I've included a picture from Olbrich Gardens that we went to this spring. They had a grassy area with a nice natural looking bulb display. They had species tulips, Fritillaria, daffodils and more I'm sure.

It's been warm here. It was 91 degrees on Friday and in the mid-80's yesterday and today. I worked in the garden yesterday and had to come in the house to cool down a couple of times. I'm going to try to overwinter some plants by an east window in our garage. It's a large window so I set up a wire shelving unit up in front of it. Our garage is well insulated and doesn't get below about 45. I've tried to select plants that won't mind. We will see how it turns out. I usually have 2 card tables upstairs but I've decided that I don't feel like dragging the plants through the house and my knees can't take that much stair climbing. Quite a few plants go in the basement under lights. I've not cut much back since everything still looks so nice. I did do some moving, dividing and rearranging of plants. In the spring things are so small when they emerge you just think you surely can fit one more plant in. I disposed of a large sedum that was battling a few more preferred plants for space. A large clump of pink asiatic lilies was moved. I had 2 dozen white and pink daffodils that I wanted to plant. A few years ago I bought one of those bulb augers that go on a drill. I've not had good luck with it, so Rick made the holes while I popped the bulbs in. Now that's the way to plant bulbs! It was especially nice of him since the combine was waiting.

{{gwi:184910}}

• chelone
    13 years ago

I believe I've lost the dog this morning. I KNEW it was dangerous to leave him unwatched in Vegetable World, but I figured I could put the clean brushes in the Salon and it would be OK. Wrong-O, he vanished like a fart in a breeze. I'm certain he's having the time of his life roaming through the woods behind the house, and that he will return when he's good and ready. So much for extending a modicum of trust to him. ;)

I cracked right up at the toilet water garden. Definitely right up my alley, Saucy... perpetual 12 yr. old that I am. And I have a similar feeling about impending frost and the "cold season". I like your proactive stance on it, too. I definitely need to take a page from your playbook.

You know how sometimes you do something that turns out really nicely? I've been very patient about the priming and have thusfar avoided any drips/sags because I've layered the prime coats (3). Yesterday I put the first of two finish coats on the corbels. I decided to use some leftover Ben. Moore exterior trim paint and once more I patiently worked the paint into the carvings with an artist's detail brush, then graduated to a softer artist's brush to paint the leaves, finishing off with a 1" sash brush for the long, open areas. I just checked them and they look really nice. They have a pleasing soft gloss and the crisp white paint is going to be a very nice accent against the pickled mounting boards. The helpmeet ribs me mercilessly about how many coats of paint I will put on something, but he's right in the forefront when it comes to appreciating the final product. Now, if only the Zoom Lensers would drop in for a photo shoot. :)

Our theatre season wrapped up a couple of weeks ago with a nice production of "Chicago"; there is another repertory theatre in the area and I may just sniff around to see if there is anything we'd enjoy. Kudos to DS, Kathy. I think theatre ranks as one of life's great treats.

On the docket today is a call to a local tree guy to take down a large trunk of an even larger, multi-trunked Acer rubrum. It was sadistically "trimmed" by the utility company some years ago and now it threatens BIL's garage, so it's time for it to become firewood for coming seasons. BIL has graciously offered to split the cost of its removal with us. And then there may be some cleaning up in the general area as that's where the Picea omorika is to be relocated next spring. Much will depend on the level of grousing from the spousal unit.

And, I suppose, I ought to put a little time into thinking about moving some of the geraniums into the house for the "cold season".

Time to call the dog again. Hrrmmmph.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

Chelone - I hope Rex returns promptly!

Michelle - That's sort of the effect I want re the bulbs in the grass. We planted a combination of three different early crocuses (white, pale blue and soft yellow), scilla, and some botanical tulips. I meant to order snowdrops and winter aconites too but forgot. I'll look for them locally tomorrow. I know I'll be able to find snowdrops but doubt I'll find the aconites. I tried the bulb auger years ago too and gave up on it. Randy was as nice as Rick :-) He used the edging spade to lift clumps of sod; I popped in a few bulbs; he put the sod back and stomped it in place. This is a picture taken from across the road this morning. The bulbs will appear (hopefully!) in the grassy area in front of the narrow bed at the bottom of the picture:
    {{gwi:13331}}

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Interesting to see the coloured Autumn foliage restricted to behind the house Woody...

Chelone, I find it so hard to welcome the bad dog home in an inviting way. You do want to encourage them to return after all, but the desire to beat them immediately is very strong!

I've just finished editing DH's document once more (11:30 am!) and want to get some outdoor stuff accomplished before the rains begin.

Later,
    'bug

• chelone
    13 years ago

I am happy to report the merry wanderer was lurking just outside the door after I posted this morning. His "walkabouts" are not generally very long, and he likes to patrol the western frontier; the compost pile, the "30 yr. pile", the burn pile, and the wild area beyond. And he is pretty good about returning when he hears his name called. No harm done. And he doesn't smell bad, either! The helpmeet will scold him. I prefer to speak cheerily and happily to him and then make him "ask" to come inside, after we've done a few basic "commands" that earn lavish praise. (but usually I want to beat him to within and inch of his life).

It's an absolutely beautiful fall day out there, today. We took advantage of it and cleaned up a stockpile of rocks that were piled along the edge of the driveway when I dug the big hosta and the Solomon's Seal this past spring. We have used them to create a "retaining wall" along the edge of the pond and will fill the low spot and extend the lawn to it. It will be easy to mow and keep tidy. But it doesn't look like much right now, lol. The goal is to get the grade of the lawn established and then let it settle in over the winter, planting grass in the spring. We have designated an area toward the woods and at the shallowest end of the pond as the "slide" for dogs. It's the logical place for them to exit the water, and once the grass is established we won't care how they get in or out of the pond, but a path will be important until it is. :) It was dirty, mucky, wet work and we're tired.

I've vacuumed the Salon and I've played around with the differential feed on my overlock machine. It's a handy feature that allows you to gather fabric easily. I've never used it in that capacity before and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. A nice discovery.

I meant to say that I'm glad the foot is responding to good care, Woody. And count me as another who likes and respects the careful and pragmatic approach you have with respect to recuperation and rehabilitation. There is a little park I pass every day and they've naturalized bulbs in a portion of it, too. It's very cheery in the spring time and I always smile at the generous amount of "no mowing" practiced to give the bulbs' foliage time to ripen and nourish the bulbs themselves. It will be fun to see how you project comes along next spring.

We're having shish kabobs for linner and I think I ought to keep the chef company while he tends the grill.

13 years ago

I'm glad to hear that Rex came home quickly! We had an incident a few months after Chelsea (the Golden we had previous to Misty) came to live with us. I had put Chelsea out in the backyard while I went to do something. When I came back in 10 minutes or so, the gate to the backyard was open and she was gone! I went running into the house, calling for Randy to come help me look for her. We opened the front door - to find Chelsea dancing impatiently on the front porch waiting for someone to come let her in! That's when we knew for sure that Chelsea had settled into our household :-)

We just came in from planting tulips in the front garden. We needed to add some to the bed where we dug out the big white rose earlier in the summer, so I also decided to put a few of the Ivory Floradale (pale yellow that fades to white) with the yellow and white minature botanical tulip companions along the main path in the front bed.

gb - the ash in the backyard is the first thing to change color. Most of the trees and shrubs in the front yard don't have a lot of fall color unfortunately- mostly shades of yellow. The serviceberry will eventually provide fall color in the front but it has been growing at an excrutiatingly slow pace! I've been strongly tempted to rip it out and replace it with a different one in hopes that a new one might grow faster. But I keep thinking that 'this will be the year it takes off...' It is at least now taller than me...:-)

13 years ago

Good news at the fracture clinic this morning - I need to keep wearing the brace for another two weeks, then I can take it off. I don't need to return to the fracture clinic unless pain returns/I reinjure it.

I picked up snowdrops and winter aconites at a garden center of the way home so we will add those to the ditch planting tomorrow (the aconites need soaking before planting.)

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

I'm popping in to see that Autumn is progressing nicely in all locales - whether we're ready for it or not.... I seem to be a a fog of crazed awfice work and vertigo-meds laidened mental fog... it doesnt make for much energy or time left for idyls or even real work... how does this happen? and it's already the middle of october, with nary a thing cut down or labored over in the yard at my house.... very ugly looking place inside and out these days.

My only accomplishments in 3 days (including the one off from the awfice yesterday) were a hair cut, new allergy meds from the dr visit, and a walk or two for Stella - o and a visitation to the new grand-baby who had her visitation from her 92-yr old great-grand-mother -- it was fun to see them all together.

It was hot like in your area, Michelle -- I wish it had stayed cooler; but since I was tied up w/ the stock club mtg that wasted most of the rest of the weekend in prep work. Some days I really resent having regular meetings to go to.

I love the new water-bowl concept for your plants, Saucy - LOL - maybe you can find an old one and fill it somehow w/ water - Im sure your interior working one is not going to cut it long term.

It sounds to me as tho there are many many industrious folks here -- so impressive -- and even find time to post idyll too!

That's wonderful news that you're almost free of your bounds, Woody - congratulations!

Best wishes to to 'bug on a belated birthday --

I never had any luck w/ those augurs either, Michelle -- that's great you got a companion assist -- my bulbs have not yet arrived but I suspect will be showing up on the door step shortly and I'll be wondering what nutz ideas did I have? I write designs down, order, and then promptly lose the info.... may be time to take a match to the house full of papers, LOL. I think there are roses to be sp'd this autumn too as so much shade is encroaching on formerly sunny gardens...

With the best of intentions to become more regular in posting... I wave and salute you all.

-Cindy

13 years ago

Hmmm... I seem to be chatty today...!

gb - do you have any idea what this might be?
    {{gwi:184912}}
    It's one of the clematises I planted for the swag. The only ones I planted in this area were Rouge Cardinal and Rosemoor. It certainly doesn't look like either of those! (The picture is making it look more blue than it is - it's a blue-purple.) It's VERY vigorous and has lots of flowers/buds. It also has powdery mildew! The mildew isn't as bad now as it was before we got the rain at the end of last week. There are a couple of flowers that sort of look a bit like the Jackmanii Superba that we cut down to remove the New Dawn roses - but the JS was on the other side of the arbour from where this is... and the rest of the flowers look different than the ones that looks like JS (you can see a stripe down the center of one of the flowers in the picture, but not all of them seem to have that). So, I'm not sure whether there are two vines flowering out there or one. I'm not at all sure what's going on with these ones, but I'm assuming I've got yet another mislabelled clematis! I wonder how many of the rest of the clematises I planted will turn out to be the wrong ones? They all seem to be growing well. This is the only one that got mildew.

Randy had been talking about adding more rain barrels to the yard - not anymore! He just removed the current one for the winter and put the eavestrough extension back on. He said it was a PITA, so no more rain barrels...

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Oh dear Woody, I have no idea except NOT Rosemoor or Rouge Cardinal. Perhaps it is a seedling of Jackmanii Superba? I get lots of clematis seedlings here. This is one time when plant labels would really be helpful! Then you'd know what it was intended to be and which nursery you bought it from. If all of the clematis are mislabelled you'll have an interesting result!!!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Chelone, you had better watch it! You'll have Rex (Wrecks?) and all the rest of us thinking you are really just a softie! :)

If I can find my camera in one of the piles of stuff that I haven't moved back into the newly painted bedroom, I will take pix of the new garden-not quite finished, but getting there.

Waving to all.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

An eerie feeling this morning waking up to 70 degree temps before the sun was up ..one of our October heat waves has arrived , and it looks like 2 more days on the agenda. I’m okay with it, the garden looks like hell anyway so what harm can it do ? It’s very pleasant at night with the house opened up ..cool nights are the norm here even in summer as my IU peeps can confirm. Good for the grape harvest which was really poking along because of our cool summer .

Woody, I’m fretting over my bulbs, I have yet to purchase or plant . I will have a buying opportunity tomorrow so I hope to make a move, even though I don’t plant till November when the ground has cooled a bit.

Kitchen duty bekons..

Waves

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

A few more pots were dismantled this evening. There's not much left that will be saved. The forecast is showing approximately 40 for a low for the next while. That's too close for comfort if you really want to save something.

The harvest continues well into the evening each day. It is nearing completion. This will be extremely early. The moisture on the corn was good and it won't need drying so it might as well be harvested early.

Cindy, I figured that you were busy be grandma these days. My house was getting pretty ugly inside also. Last night I remedied that somewhat.

Woody, I wish our ashes turned such a lovely color. They tend to stick to yellow.

Chelone, glad to hear that Rex has returned ans wasn't beaten too badly. I'm amazed at the patience that you have with any project that you undertake.

Cyn, please do get that camera out. I'd love to see picture of your garden along with everyone elses.

Well, its 8:15 and I've not had dinner so I'd best find something. The men have already had theirs.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Life is quite different when alone. I really enjoy those times when DH travels and I can eat when and what I like and do whatever I'm feeling inclined to do without interruption. Today I bought top soil, a curly carex and a repeat blooming blue & yellow iris - after going to the dump. My friends began work on cutting back the flats, even the hostas. This is the nicest time of year for their foliage, but tonight will be a serious freeze and they'll turn to mush.[Becoming clear this evening. Low zero with frost.]

A nice surprise after weeding is finding that Carex muskingumensis 'Oehme' has increased in size and turned into a real beauty! I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.

I finished knitting Ivy's hat that matches the leg warmers that I made for her earlier. Not sure what the next project will be. And a nice phone call reports that things are greatly improved as far as Leo is concerned and that the consultant doesn't feel a need to see them any longer. Leo should reach 8 pounds by this weekend, and that is great. He also flashed a big smile to his Mama yesterday and she is thoroughly convinced it was deliberate and genuine.

Skyler received a "responsibility" chart from me and was even happy to get it! It was a particularly bad weekend of poor attitude from him and time spent in his room rethinking things. But today started with a bang, with compliments to Sarah for "awesome" srambled eggs and an apology for his behavior. We'll see how things progress I hope. It is always hard for "2 home" kids to adjust to the other place each weekend, and in this case in particular because only one home has "consequences". Le Sigh...for transitions.

Still waiting for our fire wood delivery but pleased with the new furnace so far.
    Time for Phoebe's walk!
    Bonsoir!

Here is a link that might be useful: Carex

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pretty sedge ‘bug ! I wonder how it would fare here ? We keep sedges in partial shade for the most part. My Frosty Curls was lost to a renovation project and now I have only the most basic variegated form, ‘Evergold’ I think. I know exactly what you mean about solitary times …I fear I’ve become set in my ways , but I do enjoy the time to myself , and even with DS still in the house our schedules are so radically different I might go 2 or 3 days without seeing him.

Yes Cynthia, what Michelle said, we need some photos.

Cindy, did you read the whole conversation on FB revolving around Saucys ‘water garden’ ? It was pretty funny- lots of comments !

Sleep tight everyone !

Kathy in Napa

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

There are certainly many pluses to having one's own company to keep and not have to plan menus, eat as one wants, be as sloppy as one wants, etc., 'bug -- sometimes I go too far in that one direction tho, LOL.

Kathy -- life's chaos seems to be trying to consume - I dont know why I cant seem to get a good handle on any of it this year - it's weird....I accomplish nothing on the weekends - dont feel like I had a weekend to myself in about 6 of them, the boss is asking me to work on Sunday after I'd mentally told myself well "this weekend I'm doing nothing but all the stuff that's out of hand".... what to do. So I have no kept up w/ FB either -- cant seem to keep up with much of anything, and I likely spend too much time wondering about that... one of those weirdo cycles.

That's good news to hear things are doing better in DD's household -- Leo has caught up with Isla in the lbs dept -- she too has been a bit scrawny but since she's gaining weight, the dr is not too concerned. DD went back to work this week and her DH is now on leave for 2 months to do Dr. Mom duty -- it will be very interesting to see how that works out!

Would love to see what your new garden area is like, Cyn if you get a chance. I've got things that desperately need planting and maybe you'll motivate me if I see some garden photos!

Woody -that does look like J. superba to me -- as 'bug says, maybe a seedling? It will be pretty no matter what it is.

I do love sedges -- I find I use them like grasses in my small borders - but they all seem to be slow to increase if one is looking to get more cover from them - or maybe I only plant the clumping kinds.

It was quite warm here yesterday as well and having turned the a.c. off at last, it was toasty in the house - but by this a.m. I was freezing and had to throw a sweater on as soon as I arrived at the awfice -- one of those weeks of extremes. Tomorrow is supposed to bring more rain ....

Gotta get trucking here.

-Cindy

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Oh Cindy, why should a lack of planning on the boss's part require YOU to alter your weekend plans? Not that this changes anything - You still have a decision to make...grrrr.

Had a nice morning walk with Phoebes. maybe I'll post photos later. Frost was everywhere..and quite pretty!

Good to hear that DH DID meet up with DS last night and went on a tour of various places together with a friend.

More garden effort in store for today I think...Hmmmm, the glorious sun seems to be hiding at the moment.
    'bug

• chelone
    13 years ago

Michelle, if the truth be told I find losing myself in a "project" wonderfully restorative. I get so much nit-picky criticism along the lines of, "well... if it had been me I'd have done it like this because... blah, blah, blah", or, "I wish you'd asked me, there was no reason for you struggle so". (just for the record, I don't generally "struggle" much when it comes to what we do at work, lol). Anyway, being ground down that way can leave me feeling like last night's stale ginger ale. And coming home and patiently working on something that will be beautiful recarbonates my life while giving me time to think and plan.

And for Cindy; I well understand how lack of planning at work can impact your life; more specifically, your free time. I hear you on the inablility to get it together, too. Just want you to know that those cycles are not uncommon here, either! not that that will make you feel better, but know there is solidarity in the cyber sisterhood! I like sedges, too. There is a native sort that, along with a cool clumping reed thing pop up every season. I know how to identify them and can easily remove the little ones, but often favor them on as no-work native "filler". I regard them in the same way I regard ferns.

I really like being alone, too (always have). I know what I have to get done, and once that's accomplished I can do whatever the hell pleases me. That's why I don't have kids!

Speaking of which: Kenzie is looking more and more "grown up". I'm glad Leo is cooperating and beginning to pack on the pounds. And ditto for Isla, who is entirely too young to be "watching her girlish figure". And hooray for Skyler who used his time profitably enough to realize he'd been a dink and needs to stop being one. Practice makes perfect... patience, practice, praise. Just like training a dog... . :)

No bulbs here, either and there will likely be none. There are too many shrubs that will be rearranged or added in early spring... not much point in the newer planting areas. Next year! Besides I still have several overgrown clumps that could be lifted and divided in my spare time. (right).

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

It rained overnight and so I'll keep busy indoors for a few hours until things dry a bit. There are bulbs to plant, but first I need to cut back many things.

Yes Chelone, being alone has its good points! Yet, sometimes having kids is JUST EXACTLY what pleases me. Watching kids develop their unique personalities is exciting stuff! I really enjoy sharing with my "adult kids". It is a surprise how interesting they become. DD was a huge help when my mother's health deteriorated too. Yesterday we discussed what to do about Skyler for Christmas. That is a big problem for me. He is so greedy and materialistic. He'd love it if I gave him cash too. Since I won't do that, I'm in a fix. His 10 (yes TEN) grandparents compete on gift giving and it horrifies me. I'm stymied. I do love him and enjoy his progress, but he challenges me!

I'm hoping that after the Fall jobs are completed that we will see some photos of progress at the Compound, at Saucy's, Cynthia's and elsewhere. Winter projects for me are mainly reading for book club and knitting projects. What I SHOULD be doing is organizing my files so that counter tops in my kitchen and study are not such a disgrace....

I am double booked: I accepted a dinner out as a birthday gift at the same time as a friend is coming to visit. The two people definitely do not mix. I need to solve this today!

Hoping Fall lasts a good long time!
    'bug
    {{gwi:184915}}

• chelone
    13 years ago

Yeah, 'bug, you know that old saying, "you never miss what you never knew"? I really think that holds true for the whole kid thing. I have never sampled the delight children can bring to your life. Yet, neither can those of you who have them fully appreciate what it's like not to have them. It has always bothered me that a few of our friends with kids not only view us as "deprived" but take every opportunity to tell us we are. I smile and laugh it off, but generally speaking I find it really quite insulting. We have never disparaged their decision to have kids and funnily enough their kids seem to actually like us! Funny, huh? I find the combined pink and blue of the logo above quite poignant. I heard, "Let It Be" in the car on my way home today, and I thought of those awful days just after Reed's death... the beautiful Reed Moon and how we all felt so connected by the loss of such a promising young life. Personally, I watch the Juniperus procumbens grow, the tiny racoon statue weather near it, and I remember placing them both, thinking of you and your family.

I purchased a foam saw today. I've been lusting for one for a long time now and I found a great price for one with two moveable blades. The cheapies have only one blade that moves and the cut is better than electric carving knife, but nowhere near as clean as the two blade movement. It should be here next week. :)

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Chelone, the logo is only posted as something to remind people that anyone they meet is likely to have something they are sensitive about. So I guess it is a message to be gentle with others. Not everyone wants or needs to chat about things. Also, I certainly would also feel insulted by those thoughts on "deprivation". Why weren't people born with zippers for their mouths?

I always suspected there were proper tools for cutting foam...but never went so far as to investigate. What I did was order a piece of foam for one of our sofas and have THEM cut it for me. Now if only you lived around the corner, I'd get all my couches spruced up!!!

Today I bought THINGS, some no doubt for Christmas. Skyler has been on my mind. He is so money conscious. :( BUT, I gave in. I bought him a wallet!!! (Cheap and colorful) I also got him a pair of really good socks. I don't believe I've ever seen him wear 2 matching socks!

I also cut back a large echinops, asclepias, lilies and more. I weeded a patch of twitch grass next to a rain barrel, and then emptied containers in an area that was washed out. Also cut back lots of goldenrod. More cleanup tomorrow. I have a dinner date tomorrow and am eager to find out WHERE we are going! Then another friend arrives on Sunday to spend a few days.

It's a bit early, but I'm in the mood for dinner. Off to the kitchen!

Ivy is still enjoying playing with her marble...

{{gwi:184919}}

{{gwi:184922}}

• chelone
    13 years ago

I know that's why you posted that logo, silly! :) But when I saw it I thought of dear sweet Reed and those numbing days, and how even someone like me was affected... . But you know that, and I know you do. ((()))

I am mightily impressed with the TOTALLY COOL toys that occupy the living room. It's all so perfect for her age; and what delights me most is the blind eye cast to "the unsightliness" of it all. How great is that? When I was a kid the building blocks were carefully arranged on the big oriental in the living room... the pattern repeats made for wonderful paddocks for the model horses, the bands of repeated motifs made perfect roads for the Tonka trucks and horse trailers... . And Dad was always careful to direct the dog's greeting so that nothing was disturbed. Being creative in play is so, so very important. Still smiling. :)))

But I still hate kids and dogs. Just so's ya knows...

I love the wallet for Skyler. How about "giving him money" in a denomination other than the one with which he's most familiar? maybe if he had to go to a bank and actually EXCHANGE it for his familiar currency he'd get a sense for how different "money" can be, and that "value" isn't really all that it's cracked up to be! The trick to dealing with a brat is to continually remind them that they're really "nothing special" in the big picture... while at the same time reinforcing the notion that they are amazingly special in a "close up"! ;)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Just two notes before bed-still looking for the camera and if you see an advert for the "Awesome Auger", don't let anyone (like a DS) buy you one ;) Shovels work best!

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And there are other things in a wallet besides money .. I wonder if you could make up some sort of highly personal ID card with his name , a photo , and attributes that he might be proud of ? Maybe even some cool looking foreign currency (in small denominations !) though how one goes about obtaining that is beyond me.

I just can’t imagine being critical of a persons decision to have children, to marry, or any other life choice. How really dreadful and intrusive. I was very ambivalent about kids and could have gone either way, though I love my children and am happy to have them.

Have to do some awfice work at home tonight , so must sign off….

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

DH has loads of Euros and Chinese money etc... so you have given me great ideas! I have to laugh!!! We used to give out wallets with condoms in them to teen parents where I volunteered! No, not yet anyway!

Chelone, we had wooden floors in my bedroom. It was fun to make roads out of them...but we didn't have many toy cars. If any. Sometimes we had pet turtles to try and coax along the 'roads'. My sister and I shared a room with bunk beds. (army surplus) It was tough going and we were supposed to play with dolls. I didn't enjoy dolls much, but she did. She had Jo from Little Women. I had Nina Ballerina. I did love roller skates with a key though! But that was for outdoors.

Never occurred to me to buy an auger, Cyn. I have a nice collection of shovels. Actually, a new shovel would be my kind of Christmas gift...as long as I don't need to bring it home on an airplane from Alberta!

I looked up the place where I am being taken for dinner tomorrow: "A quiet, quaint little restaurant. Great place for a date. Delicious food." Now I am worried! Maybe I won't tell DH... LOL. Stay tuned!
    'bug

• chelone
    13 years ago

I recommend "Secretariat" to anyone who's looking for a fun, exciting, entertaining movie. It was a good way to while away a chilly, rainy afternoon.

• chelone
    13 years ago

Yesterday was a rather frustrating day. An unexpected and UNPLANNED day off (with subsequent $ loss) that was largely wasted on the home front, too. Attempts to put the corbels up were met with not enough wall board fasteners (no available studs in the location) and attempts to put up the rack and associated woodstove tools were met with a masonary drill bit every bit as dull as a hoe and more frustration. Add to that a good deal of spousal grousing and I was ready to scream and tear my hair out. :) Instead, I inhaled deeply several times, put together a shopping list, and we combined that run with lunch and the movie theatre.

I wanted to accomplish the installations mentioned above last night but met with a lot of sighing so abandonned that tack in favor of doing it this morning... and the grousing picked up where it had left off yesterday. Instead of resorting to an explosion of anger and frustration I patiently explained that I really needed to see something completed and if I had the knowledge I'd do it myself... but... . Well, it's done (bless his heart). I think tonight will be a perfect night for a roasted, stuffed chicken, and all the associated comfort food. Seems the "politic" thing to do.

I have documented the corbel project in digital format, but the presentation here will be delayed. I've been struggling with that stuff lately and in my present frame of mind facing down frustration on that level is best postponed.

Speaking of wallets. I sorted through a carton of items from THTTF and found a couple of my old ones; the eldest dating from the years encompassing college. I opened it and was promptly knocked flat by a picture of my friend who committed suicide last year. I looked at the bright smile, read the words on the back of the photo and settled into the chair for a yet another cry. I tucked his picture into a corner of a mirror in the Salon and reminded myself that the pain will never go away completely, but time will make its burden easier, and it's perfectly OK to "melt down" periodically. It's all part of the package. And I reminded myself that being told it's "your choice to feel so bad about it" was probably the most insensitive and insulting thing ever uttered to me.

The foliage is just glorious here. Yesterday's wind and rain arrived early enough in the cycle that the leaves are still securely fastened to the branches. :) I have retrieved the blaze orange hunting vest from the back of the closet, so it will be ready when the hugest of dogs and I resume our forced marches.

We lit the woodstove last night and the helpmeet did so again this morning to ward off the clammy chill. We're not using it daily yet, but it sure is a nice way to make the house cozy without firing up the boiler. Speaking of which, I damn near fell over after looking at the last oil bill! Mind you, there are two tanks to fill; one for the house, one for the bahn and neither have been filled since the end of April. It was almost $500! Fuel oil is pushing $2.80/gallon and it's still early in the season. We have no reason to complain at all, but after a warm summer and nary a thought to heat it was a sobering reminder of what is to come. And a comfort to know that there is all of 3 fully seasoned cord of firewood waiting outdoors.

• drema_dianne
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone. It is a beautiful day here. Sunny and just perfect. The kind of fall day that makes you want to walk through leaves to hear them crackle.

Chelone, good for you yesterday to turn your trip into a fun thing. I would like to see Secretariat too. We have a local theatre that plays first run movies as long as they are not R rated. The cost is $3.00, and it is right down the street from my house. This sounds like a movie they would show. Sorry about the frustration, etc with your projects, and that you were saddened by the photo. I still miss my brother who died two years ago, and for that matter, I miss my little sister and she died in 1981. But, I do cherish the memories I have of them and the things we did together.

I have been bringing in plants all week. I hope to do a good job this year of overwintering, so I can propagate some next year and maybe sell them in front of my house. It is a pie in the sky thing, but I think it will be fun to think about it through the winter. And if I don't sell any, at least I will be ahead of the game in my garden. I am trying to get control of my life, and figure out what I am going to do for the rest of it. These are hard decisions, because I want to make the right one. There are no jobs around here, so I need to think of something I can do to be financially productive, and somewhat happy too.

Bug, Ivy is getting so big! Your daughter and SIL sure have their hands full. Skyler is lucky to have parents who care enough to take the time to teach him. Being a good parent is a challenge sometimes.

Cindy, you have had a lot going on this year, both personal and work, and sometimes it is hard to make adjustments to keep everything on track. I am sure you will get it figured out.

Hope you all enjoy your day!

D

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

I suspect that our Cindy is chugging away at work this weekend. I hope she is given several hours this evening to walk Stella in the Autumn leaves. Wouldn't it be great if a friendly Master Gardener fairy turned up do do a volunteer garden cleanup for her? It would lift my spirits for sure!

Our friends have had a big change in priorities this week. Their new baby grandson, born on the 9th of October, is recovering in hospital from brain trauma as a result of a difficult delivery. Yes, there is progress, but I certainly am familiar with the stresses of this phase. Fortunately he was born at over 9 pounds, and this is a great advantage for little guys. There is lots of great support and aunties and uncles are reading to baby and taking turns visiting. At least another week as they monitor his gradual return from several days of induced coma. Makes all our joint efforts on "greening" gravel extracting seem pretty insignificant.

Yet, I can't help but add this quote:
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." - Martin Luther King Jr.
    I think these words also relate to Chelone's response to insensitive comments and choices.

Good to hear that you are ahead of the game Drema! I'm not very good about indoor plants, but I've worked especially hard at cutting things back outdoors and being ready in case of an early winter. Today I hope to get a start on bulb planting. We'll see how that goes. Phoebe is keen on exploring the work being done on an adjacent corn field. Fat chance! Laundry was begun a while ago, dishes are yet to be washed. With only one person, that seems so unimportant.

Later!
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Vacuum break…I can only let the house ‘go’ for so long , and since there is no travel coming up in the near future I’m here at home exposed to the debris and general untidiness. Action is being taken to provide some ambiance round these parts. And the garden ! What a mess.I think a half day with pruners and a broom might help, and there plants that need homes too. Still no bulbs purchased, and for the silliest of reasons-I couldn’t make up my mind about the tulip colors this year.

Drema , it’s harder now to think about making a choice and then abandoning it a few months later when we find it seemed wrong..stability is a lot more desireable than it was in my 20’s , that’s for sure, and change can be energizing it it’s for the good; deflating if bad. I find that I use my garden now to get the ‘changes’ that are refreshing. I’m really bored with aspects of my front garden and will do a couple major things there to recapture my interest. I still have dreams of a ‘mindless’ retirement job some day !

Hope you have a more productive, less frustrating day today Chelone..

Back to the maid gig…

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    13 years ago

Things are considerably more productive today, thankfully! I don't know what it is about me, but feeling as though I've "gotten something done" is a huge part of who I am and what makes me feel content. It doesn't have to be anything really big, but just knowing that some little something has been "taken care of" is important to me. Funny, huh?
    1.) corbels are installed and I've filled the holes left by the finish nails and the screw that secures the shelves to the capitals. (They make me smile because they're pretty and they're useful).
    2.) finally made it to the redemption centre and cashed in to the tune of $7.40!
    3.) picked up the fixin's for dinner.
    4.) stuffing is made (left over hot dog rolls, a marginal onion, and gahden celery) and the bird will go in about 3PM
    5.) Delicate chocolate cake is about to come out of Bruce and begin cooling.
    6.) have located the recipe for "German chocolate frosting" and will prepare that shortly.
    7.) my new foam saw arrived this afternoon, too!

Now, if only Kathy would show up and give the Biddy Suite bathroom the white tornado touch.

Drema, I sympathize with how you feel. I share the sentiment of trying to figure out what to do next when the present plan falls short in so many ways. It sure ain't easy, and I think the security thing becomes a higher hurdle as we put more years behind us. Right on with that sentiment, Kathy! I like the idea of propagating plant material for the spring season; it will "keep you busy" over the winter, and how can you lose even if you wind up using it yourself?

I like the MLK quote. Lately, I keep my trap shut, but have found that a certain "look" or studied silence is sometimes the most eloquent response to something offensive.

Discussion at the dinner table of late is that I should procure a laptop computer. Ugh. :

• drema_dianne
    13 years ago

I am manning the Window Booth for the boys right now, so am surfing the net. 45 more minutes to go...

Chelone I really like my MacBook by Apple computer, but it took me awhile to get used to it. Now I wouldn't switch. If you do get one, I highly recommend the classes they offer for $99 to learn how to use it. I never get pop ups, and have never had a virus. For those reasons alone, it is definitely a plus. Don't buy it from Best Buy, but get it at the Apple store, the price is the same. I got mine from Best Buy because my son worked there, then discovered that I wasn't allowed to attend the classes. Seemed very elitist to me at the time, and they are a little snobby when you go to the store, but I lived through it. I did however tell them what I thought, every chance I got. I am a reverse snob.

As far as figuring out what I am going to do, it is hard, for a number of reasons. It is a little late in the game for me to think about building any kind of a career out there. When I was young, for fourteen years, I focused on jobs that would allow me to work from home so my kids wouldn't be in daycare. When they got older I got a real job, finished my degree and worked at the hospital for 15 years, went to work at the University and was re-orged. So, here I am at 57 in a town that has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country. Actually, if you think about it, I am pretty lucky that I have always been an entreprenuerial type, and do know how to make myself work. I do have my real estate license, which I got as a back up to the back up plan, and really enjoy doing that, but the market is awful, so I don't think that is an option. I know I will always have to work,I want to enjoy it, and have it be meaningful to me, but can I find someone who is willing to pay me for that? LOL. Hey, you guys are helping me figure this out... Thanks for listening guys...maybe I am not as bad off as I thought.

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

I ran my vacuum the other day also. I decided it was time for a new one. Not that this one doesn't do the job, its just clunky and heavy. I'm thinking it should go upstairs so I don't have to lug one up.

Kenzie is here this weekend so I have a garden "helper" For a little while at least she thought it was fun to haul the large baptisia branches to the compost pile and pile others in the wheelbarrow. Then we had to take turns as to who would be the leader to the compost pile and which route we would take. Its slow going in the garden with evenings so short and having my helper every other weekend. The weekend after next we have to go to an out of town family wedding.

I'm amazed how kindergarten has really instilled a desire to learn letters and writing for her. She asked me to write "mommy". I wrote it on a sheet and she wrote it too. Several hours latter she wrote it again and remembered the letters and the proper order. She spent quite a bit of time writing today and coloring as well. She really was never into coloring before.

We went out to the field to bring Rick something to drink. He is doing some fall tillage. Kenzie had the best time hunting for ears of corn that the combine missed or dropped. Mind you there are all that many. That kid can entertain herself with the littlest things. Of course she had to shell the corn she found when we got back.

Chelone, I quite often run through my head at the end of the day all that I feel I've accomplished. I love the feeling of having a long list.

I echo Drema's sentiments of doing a good job this year of overwintering. I really sucked at it last year.

Night all
    Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This day didn’t progress as expected-we had our first rain of the season;my usual vigilance regarding forecasts was missing-I had no clue it was going to rain. But rain it did and basically did so all day �"lightly so maybe ½ to ¾ inch at the most if I had to guess. Jeesh. We surely needed it but now I’m another week behind on garden clean-up.

Yesterday DD and Mr Toddler were over. DD’s friend watched him while we went to see ‘Aladdin’ . Aiden and I had a chat but I really have no clue what he was saying, lol. And I stupidly took no photos. And me with my new lens too ! I went out yesterday morning to take photos and the fog was so thick I came back home.

So today I was forced into more indoor chores , and just finished making from-scratch raspberry scones for a b-day potluck at the awfice tomorrow.

I like my laptop Chelone, It goes with me when I travel and if I want to compute somewhere other than the normal workstation, I have that flexibility .And I can go anywhere in the house too (we have wireless) . My next one though will have a ‘10 key’ type keyboard as my awfice duties can be performed faster-I take it on business trips too.

No further news here !

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    13 years ago

I am going to the big city this morning and there is an Apple store there that I plan to visit. I have been jotting down specific questions that relate to such a purchase and am fully prepared to be completely freaked out by the what's available and how steep the learning curve may turn out to be. Oh my. Drema, thank you very much for your insight into the whole Mac thing. What ultimately made you opt for one over a regular PC?

I puttered around out in the Salon yesterday, and determined that the addition of a rolling shelving unit will go a long way toward achieving containment of supplies (presently in cartons on a remote corner of a table). I have checked out a couple of very cool on-line sites and have arrived at a selection that should work nicely. To that end I've added a number of things to the pile that will go to the kerb for trash collection this morning.

I cleaned the hearth, vacuumed the dust off the stove, admired the new stove tools that are now hanging on the chimney next to it, and was actually excited about firing it up when the need arises.

And I removed the screens from the windows and cleaned the sills. If today warms up the way yesterday did I will get the screens washed before storing them away for the winter... maybe I'll even get some window washing done, too.

The tree guy came to assess the trunk of the maple we would like to remove. I have to confer with BIL as accessing the offending trunk will require the bucket truck to drive over his lawn. I think the price is very reasonable and I know the work will be done efficiently and as neatly as possible. We are fortunate that we know so many competent people to do things that are too challenging for our pioneer spirits. ;)

No frost here, either Michelle. And if my gardens looked as pretty as your's do in your pictorial I would be laoth to cut them back right now, too. I smiled at the image of Kenzie picking up ears of cohn and then shucking them later on. I am certain you appreciate her inventive and imaginative mind... and the rapid steps toward reading and writing are esp. exciting, I'm sure. What a milestone. :)

And Mr. Toddler yammering away... I know a lot of "grown ups" with whom I have conversations that I don't really understand. The only difference between them and Mr. Toddler is that their hands probably aren't as sticky.

OK, gotta rustle up some chow, make my list of things to do today, and get about my business.

• drema_dianne
    13 years ago

Chelone, the thing that made me decide on the Apple MacBook was the fact that my son is the head geek at Geek Squad for Best Buy. His recommendation as the computer with the least problems was the Mac. Hands down. Mary Kate and Brandon have two Macs, and they never have any problems. Brandon is an artist who makes commercials/ other motion graphic applications and he uses a Mac.

I complained for about a year afterward, but once I finally figured it out, I love it.

Challenges:

I have run into some problems with being able to look my statements online from one of my banks, but my other one is fine.

When I sold Tastefully Simple, there were a couple of glitches with my online ordering.

I can't download cool templates like I could from Microsoft online.

Excel. It doesn't seem to work the same on a Mac, but it can be learned.

I had to buy a special version of QuickBooks for Mac, and QuickBooks didn't seem to be as familiar with the Mac version in their support. The independant consultants who I was going to use to set up our QuickBooks program were not familiar with the Mac Version, but I was able to find someone. Eventually I just did it myself, but it took a lot longer, because I had never used QuickBooks at all before.

If you use any sort of online program regularly, check to see if it is Mac compatible.

May be more info than you were looking for, if so, just ignore. Trying to think of anything I could that might head you in a direction.

D.

• saucydog
    13 years ago

We're home from a weekend in Maine. All of Nick's cousins showed up - even the far off cousins from Minnesota and Colorado. Many photos were taken. Oh my how we've grown since everyone had children. Now there are 19 when we make reservations.

I'm working on leaves to beat the frost. I think I will have until Friday evening when the forecast is a low of 29. I will get to look at a few today and see how they've come out...I always enjoy the unveiling of it all and still feel surprised if it comes out good (though my technique is getting better and better, so not so many duds).

I wonder what important things Mr. Baby would have to say? Perhaps he was inquiring where you keep the Zwieback cookies? Sounds like you had a nice visit.

Kenzie will have nice memories of your farm, Michelle. What a great place to have fun and be a kid. We used to gather "food" from our yard and "process" it for fun, too. We'd make all kinds of salads and chocolate milk (dirt and water). I wasn't really big into mud pies :) I would've liked to have had an ear of corn.

All the Idyll babies are growing so fast. I got to see Nick's cousin's twins....from now on I'm just going to call them the twins. They're growing so fast. They were preemies, but they're catching up. 9 months now. I rocked them to sleep on Saturday night - I've still got it :)

All right, time to get this day started. I've got a dog to pick up from the kennel, a car to get to the garage, a 94 lb. bag of cement to lug home, and a few leaves to cast! Have a great day, friends.

Saucy

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

What a wonderful energetic bunch of Idyll friends this Monday morning!

We have some frost on the 'lawn' this morning. It will be a cloudy day but at least get warmer. Our wood person will be delivering our truckload this morning "between 10 and 12". This messes up my day...especially with my friend here visiting and we have "plans". But it will work itself out somehow. I need to leave in a few minutes to go buy more tarps to cover the wood as it will rain for the next few days and we won't be able to stack it all quickly.

Yesterday a friend of mine came by to help us out a bit and to walk Phoebe. It was GREAT that in about 2 hours we were able to accomplish many things and "check them off the list"! And so the bird bath has been washed and stored in the barn, the potting bench rolled into the garage, 2 rain barrels emptied and taken to the barn, the dock hauled to the barn as well. Then most of the outdoor furniture was carted to the barn also. Very satisfying! The only difficult part was the guy explaining that it was a pleasure to "help out older people". Now who do you suppose he was referring to???

DH has a class to teach and forgot he was today's presenter, so he has been scrambling a bit. He could do it with zero preparation, but the perfectionist in him won't allow that. Also, the report for the Provincial Policy Statement for land planning is completed to his satisfaction and that is a huge relief. It was tough getting everyone acting in unison for a common goal.

DD begins two weeks of parenting solo while DSIL travels for work. It will be tough going with 3 children involved, one of whom must be driven to school and back each day at 8am and 3pm. All sorts of restrictions involved on his mother's part too. DSIL had the opportunity to do a job in Iqaluit. DD is annoyed that he dropped the opportunity, and it is a shame. But I also understand his not wanting to be away so long.
    Oh Canada! (Inuktitut sign)
    {{gwi:184925}}

The updates on our friend's small grandson are positive. What a rough beginning for all!

Onward with the day!
    'bug

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

You are a busy gruop of people. LOL

We returned late evening yesterday from a little trip to Mammoth Cave Park Kentucky. Nice park and great fun and camping with all of Bobs sisters and some extended famly.
    It would be hard not to have fun with that crazy bunch.

We have still not had frost here either, but it is very dry and the leaves are falling constantly. I have several things to accomplish in the next few days before we go off on another adventure.

Niki,Jasmine and Rocky were happy to have us back, but Rebel pouted at us until I took him on our regular hike this morning then he was all excited.
    Just in for lunch. Need to get back outside.

Later Norma

• chelone
    13 years ago

Well, I see that things are humming along nicely in everyone's world today. It's good to know that the latest models of our species are doing well. Parental units do not need worry upon worry in addition to adjusting to the recent addition.

Does Skyler not take the school bus or is his school in a different town? Your most capable DD does not strike me as one who will be long challenged by the work required to keep the family on course. The sisterhood certainly knows how to get the job done when the chips are down... I always smile when I think of Lewis and Clark and the fact that the intrepid Sacajewea trooped steadily along with them... with a kid on her back! I smiled at the stop sign, too. The helpmeet has fond memories of signs in Welsh when he lived there.

Drema, I figured the Apple store would be deadsville on a Monday morning... wrong-o! The place was crawling with people. I was glad I had my questions written down and knew what I wanted to ask, yikes. I entered some information into one of their machines while I was waiting for someone to help me and the "air traffic control" guy asked me what I thought of the machine... I replied that the keyboard sucked. He laughed and said, "you know how to type properly, don't you?". He explained that people who use proper typing technique usually detest the small keyboard and it's one of the things that "turns them off" to laptops in general... I may use any keyboard I wish with a MacBook as long as it's USB compatible. Ditto a mouse. And the nice flat screen monitor I'm looking at right now. All of those features can be "recycled" to the Salon desk and used to enhance my "Mac Experience". I am still suffering "sticker shock" and will speak with my brother and BIL again and ask to play with the latter's MacBook some more before deciding. I liked several of the features very much and I think they would be a good fit for the sort of business I have in mind. Drema, your insights and thoughts are invaluable to me and I so appreciate the time you've made to share them with me. Means a lot, and I thank you.

I think only one of the Idyll group can fully appreciate the possiblities contained in a 94 lb. bag of concrete. You dazzle me routinely, Saucy.

I need to spend some quality time in the yard, too. Frost is just around the corner and I know will be disappointed by the number of things left undone when it arrives. Most notably, failure to scrape the plastic frames around the bahn "man doors" and repaint them to address the dreadful peeling paint. (I've only had the past 5 mos. to get it done).

Time to go out and putter some more in the Salon.

• chelone
    13 years ago

Michelle, I have spaced this out a couple of times, but wanted to share with you. I bought a Meile "Neptune" this year. It was under $400. I bought that model because it was geared for solid surface floors, but it does have a rug attachment. I really, really like it. It's light, does a great job in the Salon and the available attachments allow me to get into "nooks of granny" and do the sorts of things I generally do with a vacuum cleaner. I've only used the rug attachment on the dog bed but it's gotten the job done. I prefer the King Kong Kirby rug attachment for the rugs in the house (lots of hair and grit with a stonedust driveway), but the Miele blows the Kirby out of the water on solid floor surfaces. No kidding! It's quiet and lightweight. I urge you to check out Miele; they have a ton of models for different circumstances.

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Niki gets in on the leaf action.

{{gwi:184927}}

{{gwi:184929}}

{{gwi:184931}}

{{gwi:184933}}

• chelone
    13 years ago

Norma, she reminds me of Spencer. I want to reach into the computer screen, rub her back and get her to "chase" my hand under the leaves. She's so cute.

I just love cats. :) :) everything about them.

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Chelone, thanks for the input on the vacuum. My house is basically carpet except the kitchen and bathrooms. My computer is 7 years old. It has it's moments but does work fairly well. Rick thinks I should get a laptop but at this point I'm not ready. Obviously, I'm not a techy type person.

'bug, it sounds like you are getting tons accomplished.

Saucy, 94 lbs of cement - I hope you bought it somewhere where they will load it for you. I get it at the local lumber yard.

Norma, Mammoth Cave sounds like a nice trip. I'm always interested in the National Parks. Did you take a cave tour?

What no pictures of Mr. Toddler???

Kenzie and I made a big pot of chicken wild rice soup. Of course we had to dig carrots first. She loved the soup even though it was chock full of onion, celery and carrots.
    It was nice to come home tonight and warm up a bowl. It was a lovely day and I spent some time soaking in the last days in the garden. It was dark by 7:10. Rick is in the field again tonight so our paths haven't crossed since 7:45 this a.m. I spent a little time after dark sitting on the patio with a cup of cappuccino and my new fire pot that my sister gave me for my birthday. You put this gel fuel in it. It really is kind of relaxing to watch.

There is much that needs to be done here, inside and out. I'd best get at some of it.

Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, that Niki is just fabulous in every way�"I’m partial to bi-color kitties, but oddly have never had one ! Funny how we acquire felines-I’ve had strays, shelter cats, pure-breds , you name it. My next will be a shelter cat for sure, but not up to having 3 at the moment. We had three all the time for years. Ted and Doobie are such stodgy gentlemen and set in thier ways, they would have a fit if I introduced another member into the ‘pride’ ..(nod to Chelone.)

My computer is elderly too, I was trying to think how long I’ve had it and I think it’s been at least 10 years, I know it was before DH passed away which was 2003. We’ve added memory a couple of times, and the keyboard, mouse, speakers etc have been replaced too, some of them multiple times. DS got us an external hard drive a few years ago and all my photos are stored on that.

Interested in Chelones vacuum recommendation�"I hate mine and I have mostly hardwood. Is yours a canister ?

‘bug, I would be bedside myself caring for 3 children on my own ! I’m not made of the same stuff as your DD though-bet she makes it just fine !

Ok, all for now , time to scare up some dinner

Kathy in Napa

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

O, Norma - I love that last photo - you captured her perfectly!

No 94 lbs of concrete here, LOL - I am a total slacker in any of these JJ jobs! Computer woes both at home and awfice -- I'm wondering if I have a virus hand or something.... It's interesting to read the info re the Macbooks, Drema and Chelone - I've thought about it; most folks who have them are solid converts and love 'em... this Toshiba (w/ Vista) laptop of mine seems to be doing a slow spiral to death -- right now the pad no longer works for scrolling, and the ribbons/menus at the top have disappeared.... we wont talk about the shutdowns/lock-ups/and virus spyware lock-ups.... Sheesh.... And at the awfice on Friday the new servers were down for more than 2 hours about 3 pm -- I finally said a little after 5 that I was outta there; no inclination to do filing of months of stacks of stuff...

What.. no fairy gardener showed up at my house this past weekend? I wonder what I need to do to find one-- look under a cabbage patch maybe. I actually did get Stella for a couple of nice walks (not many leaves here yet and no frost) and we "worked" in the garden for the first time in months -- the head stayed fairly vertical (maybe the new meds are slowly clearing it out - fingers crossed).

Kathy, I know what you mean about dissatisfaction w/ borders -- my back ones are struggling and overcome w/ shade -- I ripped out the MAC rose that seemed to have a virus, chopped down some things, but would love to attempt some major reno.... Sadly, I also seemed to have somehow ripped out the tiny cornus controversa variegata I'd planted in the spring when chopping some phlox -- it didnt have much root ball tho and I'm thinking some critter has been at it - geez o pete - I hate when I rip something out.

It's nice to hear both Drema and Chelone busy at working on some goals and lots of energetic jobs -- maybe you all will motivate me -- I need to find time to check in -- I brought the laptop to bed tonite to do so, LOL, guys - arent you feeling cozy? I dont think I could emulate you, Michelle, my review of the to-do list usually ends up showing I've got the same things on week after week....

Well, I did miss the most fabulous day of the weekend yesterday doing the yearly prep and creation of -- get this -- even partners in law firms do complex self-evaluations... It's hard to type it with a straightface sometimes (rationalizations for exactly how huge a bonus and equity of profits he'll get for this year just ended). Someone suggested I edit the doc and demote him for organization if he required 4 hours of o.t. on a sunday to get his documents done, LOL -- there are limits to attorney humor however, and I need to keep the job a few years longer...

Ok -- victory of an item on the to-do list -- stop in at the Idylls!!! Yeeha. And I also looked at FB and amazingly it's still there and didn't blow up during my absence....

(O, Drema -- love your idea re the plants -- I bet that's just how Saucy's neighbor started out....it is always amazing to me how entrepreneurial and creative you are, Drema -- you always have another idea in the pipeline! Keep 'em happening.).

--Cindy

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cindy, there is no way in he!! I can deal with those friken touch pads! The first accessory I bought for my laptop was a wireless mouse and where I go, it goes.Maybe the bedtime Idyll check in is the way to go? Does Stella get to cuddle up in the human bed ?

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

"a wireless mouse" was a Christmas present last
    year...a present I value now but didn't know I wanted!

Good book club discussions tonight.

Definitely time for bed!
    zzzzzzz
    'bug

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner