Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enchantedplace

exchanges and recipes

enchantedplace
18 years ago

Decided to begin a thread for specific information on exchanges and recipes. I think it was Mary who wanted to know exchanges for wheat? I came across this in my collection:

When baking with flour other than wheat, the finished product probably will have a slightly different flavor, texture, color, or odor. The U.S. Department of Agriculturer recommends the following substitutions for one cup of wheat flour.

Barley flour- 1 1/2 cups

Oat flour- 1 cup

Potato flour- 3/4 cup

Rice flour- 3/4 cup

Soy flour - 1 1/3 cup

Tapioca flour- 1 cup

I haven't tried any of these substitutions but I have my own method for making bread so will add that later if anyone is interested. Our market supplies different flours and have been thinking of trying something different. Others please contribute your input or favorites. EP

Comments (13)

• deanneart
    18 years ago

EP this is very interesting. I've never cooked with substitutions for wheat flour but this definitely would be great for Mary and all those who are allergic to wheat products.

My favorite whole grain bread recipe for a bread machine that makes a 2 pound loaf.

1 Cup rolled oats
    1 3/4 cups skim milk (warmed to room temperature)
    2 Cups whole wheat flour
    1 Cup rye flour
    1/4 Cup Wheat germ
    3 T sunflower hearts (unsalted)
    2T Flax seed
    3T Molasses or Honey
    3.5 Tsp yeast
    4 Tsp Gluten
    Place ingredients in bread machine in the order listed and start cycle for basic 2lb loaf.

• enchantedplace
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I found this gluten-free recipe using a combination of rice and potato flour. EP

Here is a link that might be useful: Rice flour bread or rolls

• enchantedplace
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here is some extensive flour information. EP

Here is a link that might be useful: flour information

• Mary_NY6
    18 years ago

Thanks EP. Unfortunately having a gluten intolerance means also having to avoid barley, rye, and oats plus a host of other products that might have traces of gluten (some yeasts, carmel color, soy sauce, even a few dairy products) - the list is tedious and at times seems endless. The positive is that we eat very few processed foods which is probably much better for long term health. My bread machine is continuing very acceptable GF breads - rice flour is my best friend!

• enchantedplace
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mary did your recipes come with the bread machine? This is good information to pass on. EP

• enchantedplace
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This is the interesting link that I mentioned on the other thread. I love bread but don't make it frequently. I got cranberries yesterday so am thinking about cranberry/nut bread. Thinking about it isn't quite as good as chewing on it but fanticizing can be fun sometimes. I do a lot of 'admiring' at candy counters and bakeries. Making candy and baking used to be a fun thing I enjoyed especially during the holidays. The 'Aplets' are a delicious candy that my sister enjoyed making and sharing. It was interesting to learn the history of Whoopie Pies, Spam, and Tacos, among others. Many people don't realize that commericial tortillas have only been available for about the past 50 years but are one of the world's most ancient foods. Anyway, food is to fun to enjoy. EP

Here is a link that might be useful: history and legends of favorite foods

• enchantedplace
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Deanne, I forgot to mention, I saved your bread recipe on my documents program. Then I can print out the recipes and file them into my recipe collections. I have Sue's Whoopie Pie saved and Jain's Lemon Pudding dessert, and some other special things. Brings us 'together in spirit'. EP

• enchantedplace
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am experimenting making candy from fruit. Here is one of rhe recipes I found online. I have also found recipes using grated apple, strained apple (or sauce) , apple and apricot juices, and frozen peaches. I also made some from our own boysenberries. So far, I have only done the grated apple version and the boysenberry. I passed out samples and everyone has given approval so far. I suppose , for chocoholics it could also be dipped, but the powder sugar coating is the way I prefer it. EP

Here is a link that might be useful: fruit candy

• enchantedplace
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here is one of the recipes using apples. EP

Here is a link that might be useful: aplets

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

EP , I remember eating ( and making ) Cotlets . I really loved them . I am linking to the recipe :

Here is a link that might be useful: cotlets

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

My word ! I hadn't looked at your "fruit candy" link , and it IS for cotlets !
    Dum de dum dum !
    Oh well !

• enchantedplace
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We tried both aplets and cotlets. Prefer aplets. EP

• enchantedplace
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Has anyone done this? Don't think I'll try it. interesting. EP

Here is a link that might be useful: turducken