Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mendocino Part 2

Posted by dodgerdudette NapaCaz9 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 13, 09 at 23:33

A few more photos from the coast

The village of Mendocino features many little 'pocket gardens' tucked between buildings and in alleyways.This artist created a driftwood sculpture gallery in his sideyard..

From Mendocino

From Mendocino

From Mendocino

At the Mendocino Art Center

From Mendocino

Another shot from Digging Dog

From Mendocino

Close up of the steps

From Mendocino

Driftwood display

From Mendocino

From Mendocino

From Mendocino

Kathy in Napa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mendocino Part 2

I'm particularly fond of DD's use of grasses. The horse is fun inserted in the fall colour too. Once again I like the stairs.

o

Very cool shots, Kathy! The driftwood/air plants gives new meaning to "low maintenance" gardening! I would love to have stairs planted like that as well.... What were they made of, I wonder? They dont look quite like all cement to permit all those plants to grow...?

Very cool!

--Cindy

o

Great pics, Kathy. My old eyes almost missed the horse sculpture.
I use interesting wood in our yard, but, of course, it is not "driftwood". I like natural ornaments best, but do have some man made things.

o

Really nice shots, Kathy. I love that cool sunflower art! Really enjoy the steps planted with little thymes and sedums. We are completely level and have no steps on our property. What is that pink vine? Lovely orange shrub in the background of the grasses. SO pretty!!

o

Love those steps!

o

PM , the vine is Rhodochiton, we see it quite a bit on the coast. It's an annual in cold climates but can perennialize in frost free zones.

The stairs are just concrete , but there is a space left where the tread meet the risers and the plants are tucked in there.

Kathy in Napa

o

Gee, I could get that effect easily on my back steps. They are falling apart and needing to be replaced. Maybe I could just widen the cracks and plant in them. [g]

o

Fabuous!

o

I love driftwood - I have a couple of pieces in my garden that are rotting away :)

Saucy

o

The horse is quite cool. I too like the stairs. I have the perfect place to have stairs, but to get them built would be another thing. Oh, and they are in full sun as well. Thanks for the inspiration.
Michelle

o

Pocket gardens! I love the idea of that - have to give some thought to finding a pocket area. Driftwood in the garden would be great but, like Marian, I resort to using old wood when I'm lucky enough to find something interesting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here