Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chelone_gw

C'mon, outta the rack for 234

chelone
18 years ago

Wakey-wakey! the sooner you're up the more sunlight you'll be able to enjoy.

Comments (106)

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Deanne, we have never seen a picture of you that we did not think was beautiful. You looked great in your outfit from Burlington Coat Factory. Size 12 seems to be very limited in ready made clothing except for casual. LL Bean and Land's End work fine for me for casual but trying to find anything else has been a challenge. I have several things in the closet I'd gladly give away if anyone could use them including a long dress with beaded jacket that I bought for a wedding last year. Everything else is definitely outdated.
    We both enjoy the chit chat with everyone even tho we might not share a lot of common activity. We aren't quite as 'remote' as ... T and Marian... and maybe VeggieGirl... or 'bug'... but 'drop in' company is very limited. I don't participate in group activity so good to know Marian has that for a diversion... I used to do it but ran out of energy. Lot's I 'could do with people' if so inclined. Plenty 'to do' here and we enjoy and treasure one another's companionship. We treasure companionship here too, so hope all will find relief from the challenges and comfort in the familiar. EP

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Good gray November morning to you all! It looks like we're going to get our first hard freeze tonight so it's crunch time in getting the rest of the tender plants out of harms way. I still have two Abutilons, a rex begonia and a Dracaena that are out in the garden and need to be repotted. The bananas on the screen porch will need to be moved either into the house or garage...how much will this stuff cost me to rebuy in the spring?

Here's a picture I took this weekend of that Charles Grimaldi brug? I tossed it in the garage before the last bout of cold weather we had and it was covered with buds. A few days later it started blooming in the dark garage so I tossed it back out in the driveway. It's back in the garage now and still blooming. I guess if you only have room for one Brug, it should be this one.

{{gwi:185126}}

Martie, good luck on the job interviews. Maybe we can do lunch next week? I got slammed getting statements out this week.

Dress shopping is a drag. I may go this weekend and try to find something for the office Christmas party. In the past I was able to wear sleeveless and backless in December but now I freeze. Since I'm a whopping 36A, it's easier to just have cups sewn into these dresses than to try and find a compatible bra. Since I've been eating better and exercising I've dropped a couple of pounds...guess where of all places? OMG, pretty soon I'm going to be concave...lol.

Sue

• just_t
    18 years ago

It's morning already?

{{gwi:185127}}

sigh

T.

• triple_creek
    18 years ago

No time to really catch up this morning ,but wanted to share this picture of Pink Knockout, Agastache and Honeycomb butterfly bush. Still going strong after a 28 degree night. I don't know how much longer they will go though. Have a great day everyone. Norma
    {{gwi:185128}}

• chloehoover
    18 years ago

Morning, Idylls --
    Gardenbug your basement looks ready to rent out!! so spotless!! wow. Wish youd come do some of that stuff at my house and send me some shots of your energy!! Chelone, youll have to post pics of your chimney after its done Im in awe of all this female repair power I confess most of the things I do around my house are pretty slapdash Im neither proficient nor patient enough to do things with the care they need and hence all too often they dont get done at all.

Im with you, Deanne no reason to give up caffeine as the latest 12 yr. study just proved! I tried it last year and tried switching to green tea there is no substitute! I think as long as we dont go the 6 cup or more routine (which I find I really cant do anymore or never sleep) we should be just fine see, that vice may turn out to be a virtue if you wait long enough for a medical study!! LOL. And Im sure you're going to find the perfect outfit for showing off your great figure.

Im sorry theres ill health among the group Marian, hang in there hopefully youll have a better day soon and its not so bad if the hubby is getting energized to do his chore list is it, no matter the reason!! Mary, Im sooo glad to hear your household is finally on the recovery route yuck nothing worse is there?

Taryn perhaps it will still come to pass but they have something to work out yet. Well keep crossing everything for you in the meantime!

Martie good luck with job hunting did that myself last year no fun I rate that event on my Top 10 Least Loved Things To do right along with going to the GYN for a check-up! A strong stomach, insulation from rejection and tremendous perseverance are always needed.

Woody I know how worrisome "bad genes" can be I think sometimes Im playing the same game and its really hard to accept isnt it? I look in the mirror and way too often see my mother (& her mother & her mother!!). . . . But then I think of all the people who know nothing about their heredity and genes and wonder if theyre better off or worse off not knowing? Accepting that we cant defeat time or age is hard no matter what... In the meantime, you are so amazing in all that you do and all that hard work in the lovely garden youve shown us and you have a tremendously uplifting attitude.

Sounds like lots of the Idylls are on the Fall repair/house winterizing route good luck to one and all Id be happy to supply a cheap plane ticket to my house to do some stuff like that for me anyone interested????

Well, it's supposed to hit the 30s tonite here (but no snow, thank goodness - nasty 4-letter word)- do you think it's time to bring in the agapanthus? Ha ha - or should I experiment with "how low can it gooooo?"

-Cindy

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

Good morning! Sunny but very cold here this morning.

Martie, Im on the parent side of parent-teacher conferences and my DD (youngest of two) is a high school senior, so thats why last night was probably the end. Technically there are spring conferences, but unless I get a strong signal the something is awry I wont bother with that round.

Chelone I had to laugh at myself as I read your post. I hesitated to abbreviate the title of the book we were discussing as I thought you might miss it. So Im reading along going GWAPE? What the heck is GWAPE?

Which brings me to the bad joke of the day in honor of Marian. A man came home and opened his refrigerator and was shocked to see a live rabbit inside. "What are you doing here?" he exclaimed. "Isnt this a Westinghouse?" asked the rabbit. "Yes, it is" replied the man. "Well, Im westing!" said the rabbit.

Deanne, dont you dare feel pressured to give up caffeine! I probably dont buy clothes as often as I should because I get so peeved at the idiocy of the fashion gods. Pastels dont look good on me yet some seasons (even in winter) you can walk into a store and see nothing but pastels. Cross out pastels and insert any other fashion trend you can think of. Were all different shapes, ages, complexions, etc. yet the fashion world thinks one look should fit all. EOR. (end of rant)

bug, take shelter from that "fallout" in your lovely basement!

Norma, I love your agastache!

T had much more of that schnapps than she is admitting to!

Yesterday was as crazy a day as I anticipated. A few minutes before 6:00 pm, I whipped into the house, filled the dog dishes, herded the animals outside and back in and was gone again in under ten minutes. Wasnt back home again until 9:00 pm. At my meeting we were served a lovely large lunch that included two pork chops. I polished them off, knowing that I wouldnt have time for dinner, and was about the only one in the group who did!

Conferences went very well. My only concern was whether DD was keeping up with all of her homework given all the time that she has spent on theater projects, and she hasnt missed a thing. Ive decided to blow off another meeting tonight in favor of accepting MILs invitation to dinner at the country club. Now this isnt entirely altruistic on MILs part because she is watching the three youngest grandkids while two sets of parents are out of town, and I think she appreciates an extra pair of adults to ride herd over the kids. But it will still be a nice night out!

Woody, sorry to hear about the bummer test results. DHs uncle has the same "bad genes" and is not doing too well right now, although he did get quite a bit of additional quality time with some newer treatment over the last several months. I always get a black humor chuckle from this side of DHs family. They are exceedingly practical and I swear theyve all but buried Uncle John more than once, but he keeps hanging in there. His wife doesnt like the latest car that he bought and talks openly about selling it and getting something else "when John dies." Oh for Petes sake, let the man finish living first, okay?

I think Im officially babbling so Id better post. Oh before I forget, Eden, I double-checked and cant find my eight or nine of spades

V.

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

((((((Taryn))))) , I hope Marie is right and it is just a bank problem .

Martie , do not be deterred by the lack of ethics of others ...hold on to yours ! I keep commenting to my DH that there seems to be nothing left in this world that is based on honorable actions and thoughts . That even applies to a lot of 'charitable' deeds . They are done for the tax write-off more than for the goodness of it . Woops ... I'd better get off my soap box !

Marie , Your basement is looking so good ! And NouNou is a very pretty kitty . Her face looks a lot like our cat that I called "Muggly Other"..:o) . We have had 2 tortoiseshells .The last one was Tuffy .
    I hope those snowflakes are brief .

Mary , I am so glad the flu is easing up for you and yours . Yes , a lack of energy and fatigue is a big part of fibromyalgia . I think each of us is affected differantly to some extent . It depends partly on whatever other problems we have . I have a lot of arthritis as well , and other chronic things . The fibro pain is in the muscles , ligaments and tendons ...actually every fiber of one's body ..hense the 'fibromyalgia '. It isn't always as bad as the flu , but is very seldom totally gone .
    The cake is unfrosted . I hardly ever frost a cake . Nolon likes them that way , and that's good since he has been diagnosed with boderline type 2 diabetes .
    Thanksgiving dinner at our house will probably be on the 25th . We always go to a friend's for Thanksgiving Day . I am hoping Tim and the girls will join us this year , as they always used to . Last year was sad , because they were absent due to the divorce .

Chelone , think of how happy and proud you will be when the chimney job is completed . I am thinking you must be a strong lady to do all that you do . The career that you have has to be very hard work . Is it always mostly done by women ?

Deanne , I am afraid I am with Doug on the dress thing . I haven't determined the 'new dress for every activity ' reasoning . I am not the kind to dwell on what someone is wearing , unless it is really a 'strange' outfit . I wonder ... do you notice if someone is wearing the same thing that they wore before ? And if you do , does it degrade that person in your eyes ? Thank God , I am just a 'country girl' ! :o) BTW , I wouldn't be caught dead in the styles you mentioned , even if I were young and in good shape . I bought myself a green velvet dress for a high school function ( when I was a student ) . The neckline was lower than I was comfortable with ( but very modest at today's standards ) . I sewed a black lace across the front of the neckline ! I still have that dress .

Teresa , Sorry about the mail lady's car mess in your driveway , but good that you had a nice visit . Actually I read 'sat'... not 'said' . I had to go back to see what you were correcting .

Woody , what a drag on the diagnosis . I do hope they are wrong . I hope it doesn't cause you to be depressed by it . I hate it when people have to contend with constant struggles physically ( or should I say "challenges" ); no one needs more added to it !
    I know what you mean about the bad genes coming to rest with you . I am the only one of 5 siblings who has ailed ever since childhood . Lupus is a possiblity for a fibro follow-up . Que sera sera .......

Marian

• Mary_NY6
    18 years ago

Good morning

Norma - that is beautiful! Agastache is one of my all time favourite perennials and I've become very fond of my new Knock Out roses. I just picked up a couple more for $3 each! Your combo with the butterfly bush and weathervane is fabulous! We're getting snow today so your blossoms were much appreciated.

Deanne - finding a dress is hard whatever the size. Hope the right one presents itself and to show off the fabulous new you! There have been studies that outline the benefits to coffee drinking including 30% decrease in Parkinsons Disease and less tooth decay. Too bad I'm so far away or I'd join you for a nice mug of Joe!

Sue - Charles Grimaldi is a blooming machine isn't it? Mine got too huge to haul in and out and broke right out of its pot so I'm starting again with cuttings. I know what you mean about weight and the bust line, only I've been the oppposite. After putting on a few needed pounds after my Celiac was diagnosed I was stunned to find I now have a modest (very) cleavage. Having spend most of my adult years in a nearly-A teen bra checking out the B cups is still a novelty. I just wish my thighs were their former size too...:0(

T - its sounds as if you have a very nice mail lady. Glad you could enjoy the drop in visit. Are you working on a quilt at the moment?

Eden - I forgot to mention the Snowman Cut-out - thanks. It looks like a fun project.

Today is a Superintendants day at work so I will not see children today. Instead I have some paperwork to do, a few dozen loads of laundry to run and then meeting a friend to walk our dogs at noon.

Off to get paperwork out of the way.

Mary

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Well all this talk of cleavage should have the male contingent in stitches!

Norma, your photo is exquisite! I too adore agastache. I feel as though you posted it for me alone, because I am feeling pensive about the death of MIL this morning, thinking of my own Mom's passing in March- and well, that bit of beauty was what I needed.

Later,
    'bug

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

Temps here are unseasonably warm. We are 15-25 degrees above normal temps. It is supposed to be nice on Sat., so I hope to wrap things up outside. Last night I went to church and we packed Christmas gift boxes for children overseas. It was a good time with friends. Im still in the process of painting the family room. The color I picked seemed so blah on the paneling, so I am dry brushing a darker color with some glaze and then wiping most off. I think I like the effect. I want Rick to replace the 4 electrical outlets and the light switch as they are they are brown. I will declutter this room and not put everything back in it. Its a start ;o)

Deanne, I echo Mary about nice dresses being hard to find. If I find a dress, its usually when Im really not looking for one. When I found the dress that I wore to the wedding, I told Rick that Id better snatch it as there was only 1 in my size and I know how hard it is to find dresses and how much I hate to shop for them.
    Dont give up the coffee if you enjoy it. I just heard the new report that caffine in coffee doesnt put women at risk for high blood pressure, but not the same for cola drinks. I sure dont want to give up my Dr. Pepper.

Norma, what a great combo. I love the rooster in with it.

Sue, the brug is lovely and quite a sight for November.

Martie, best wishes in the job hunting.

Marian, how wonderful that Nolan has found some extra energy and is working on those long unfinished projects.

Mary, good to hear that the flu is on its way out your door.

Smiles to all
    Michelle

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

Thanks Sue and ... T for the smiles. EP

• deanneart
    18 years ago

AFternoon all, well I almost blew off the gym today because I'm still feeling down in the dumps re: dress thing but I forced myself to go and put in two hours of hard work. At least I feel noble now!

Sue, I'm jealous of your weight loss. I sure wish we could share! When I was looking at a red dress at a bridal shop yesterday the sales clerk thought she was going to find me a strapless bra... Well, I told her there was no way they had my size and I was hideously embarassed to tell her I wear (OK any men reading this, block your eyes) a 38DDD.... Yes that is not a typo. You'd have thought that after losing 120 pounds I could wear a normal sized undergarment but it just isn't happening. So the clerk comes back with a 40D and asked if I thought it would fit. I broke into hysterical laughter at that point. NOT! Anyway, wouldn't it be nice if we could share these things? I'd be happy to go down to a D instead of a triple D. ~~~ The Charles Grimaldi is absolutely stunning! That is amazing that it is still blooming. Very cool plant.

Mary, I wish you lived closer so we could get together for coffee or a glass of wine from time to time. That would be so much fun.

T, that is a scream.

Michelle, I'm looking forward to seeing your finished family room.~~ I'm jealous that you are almost done winterizing your garden. ~~ When is your DH going to put the windows in the garden shed?

GB, I'm so sorry about your MIL. I knew she was ill but didn't realize she'd passed.

Marian, yes I would probably notice if someone wore the same dress twice but no I wouldn't think less of them. I just wouldn't do it.

V. No worries, I'm not going to give up the coffee. There are limits to what I will and wont do to improve my diet. I've actually stopped putting in any half and half except for one cup first thing in the morning. Any other I have is black. Not my favorite thing but I'm giving it a shot to see if cutting those extra fat grams will budge the scale.~~ Glad to hear the conference went well. A milestone for you.~~ I completely agree with you about the 'fashion police'. It seems that almost all the dresses this year are strapless or halter tops. Incredible! The ones that aren't look like older 'Mother of the Bride' outfits. OH well, I'll keep searching.

Cindy, thanks for the offer of a plane ticket but I need to clean and winterize this place first. LOL

Norma, what a gorgeous photo! That is a real treat. My Agaastache 'Tutti Fruti' is still blooming its fool head off also. I agree with GB, it is a superlative plant.

EP, thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated.

I really appreciate the positive support re the dress and coffee thing everyone. You improved my mood! Thanks.

Later
    Deanne

• janie_on
    18 years ago

*cough,cough* - I am back - sort of. Just skimming to catch pictures incase anyone takes them down.

Far behind again - just don't have the energy to post. Know that I am here giggling over boob talk, etc. Sue, you can have some of mine if you run out.

Cynthia - what a good mommy you are.

Did I ever post the pictures of the garage?
    {{gwi:185129}}
    {{gwi:185130}}

I am sitting here waiting for my mommy to come for a visit...

Keep the pictures coming!!

Jane

p.s. Taryn - patience grasshopper!! All will be good in the end!

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

I like this. EP

• taryn
    18 years ago

Janie the garage looks great! Hope you are feeling 100% soon. Me too. Slept 12 hours last night and am still emotionally exhausted. Better than no sleep though. Have to wait until the 15th to do my hormone tests. Being devoid of energy, plus a host of other choice symptoms, is not at all fun.

Sue, lol, you can have some of mine too! Hey, if we use the excess from the waistline area I can get you a set of 44 DD's in no time!

Marie, basement looks great! But oh NO, not SNOW! I have to dig a few more plants and pot them then gather up 3 very large soakerhose lines before they get buried under white stuff. Guess I'd better summon whatever energy I can and get on that horse fast.

Deanne I recently read that small amounts of caffeine, a cup or two, before a workout can actually enhance it, especially weight training. But caffeine IS a toxin as far as your liver is concerned, and if the liver is overworked with toxins it metabolizes fat less efficiently. So maybe a cleanse every couple of months to keep all running smoothly? That's what I do. I'm drinking coffee today, uncharacteristically, as I need the energy boost dreadfully today.

Mary glad you are feeling better again. Stomach flu is the WORST! I usually don't get colds (DH has a doozy right now) but any belly bug going around finds me. Ginger is soothing.

Chelone, if I let the current stream of consciousness spew forth in a blue streak here on this forum it would probably land me in Disneyland! And Marian might not talk to me any more. ;) My head is full of viscious invectives and expletives, mostly directed telepathically to that agent that nixed the deal yesterday! I'd love to have been a fly on the wall and heard what he said to her to change her mind. When she arrived, 5 minutes before he did, she sat in our kitchen saying how much she loved the house. And there was NO misunderstanding from the night before--they were supposed to put in the offer yesterday. When her agent saw that we had an agent to look over the deal was when something changed. Haven't heard a word from them since. So all that's printable here is "AAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!" I don't want to go to Disney. Now Amsterdam, that sounds like my kind of place, lol! Fun place for a gal who's hormones are wreaking havoc! Heck, I'd be happy with more carrots in my diet. ;)

Norma, lovely Agastache! I've dug and potted one of my A. rupestris grown from EP's seed to take with me (assuming we are going anywhere). Love Sue's brug too, but hate that they bloom so late here in the north. If we get the new place, there is a bright sunroom, so maybe I could get some tender babies to actually thrive instead of barely hanging on all winter.

Woody your rose seedlings are lovely too. I'd like to hip hop on the hip bandwagon too if you have extra seeds. I'm collecting lots of everything, though when I'll actually have them listed and be ready to trade is another matter. I don't start seed until February, so hopefully before then. Sorry about the test results, that must be frightening. Though the medical miracles that arise almost daily give me hope. Look how well Bruce is doing on the experimental chemo he is on. Keep the faith.

Well I'm done my jo and must don gloves and woolies and get out to dig a few more plants. Especially the Forget-me-nots on Boomer's grave. Had a rough night with Shane a week ago when he suddenly realized Boomer is out back under his favourite and weeping birch and declared "WE ARE NOT MOVING! WE CAN'T LEAVE BOOMER HERE!" After much discussion of Boomer not 'really' being there, just his remains, which we are not taking, Boomer's in heaven with Grumps (my dad) he agreed the gravemarker and the forget-me-nots would be enough to represent Boomer going with us. Sigh, nothing's easy is it?

Ennyway, sorry I don't have the steam to comment to everyone. Really, REALLY appreciate all the good thoughts about the house. Guess it'll work out the way it's supposed to. Hi to all...

Taryn

• taryn
    18 years ago

Just noticed the time and have to get the boys in 10 minutes, as Glenn is napping before work. He didn't go in last night, and took the boys to school this a.m., which is how I was able to get 12 hours of sleep. So I read a bit more here instead of starting to dig plants. Marie, so sorry about your MIL passing. I missed that somehow before.

Pop quiz for y'all--please do a tarot card reading below and tell me if they say all wonderful things about you and all your wishes will come true. As you know I've been crossing fingers and toes, praying of course, wishing on stars, heck even had a psychic pop out of Ebay and give me a reading. So for fun I did a tarot card reading at the site linked below. WOW, it sure seems to describe my situation perfectly! Don't ya think? (read below) Anyway I'm wondering if they just say great things to everyone or am I truly about to lead a charmed life, lol? Do me a favour and do a reading and let me know if we are all 'special'...

Thanks,

Taryn

Taryn's tarot reading for today:

What Covers You
    That which influences the general atmosphere or environment (current situation)
    Ace of Pentacles
    Briefly: You will be surprised to learn that one of your greatest financial wishes is about to come true.

In Detail...
    This card shows a large pentacle in the middle which is symbolic of material wealth and abundance. If you should receive this card in your layout, and it is representative of a future event, then you will be surprised to learn that one of your greatest financial wishes is about to come true. This can bring financial stability to those who have never had it before in their life.

What Crosses You
    Obstacles, conflicts or opposition in the path
    Four of Pentacles
    Briefly: You are about to finally achieve your goal of financial security and freedom.

In Detail...
    The picture on this card shows a dark haired woman dressed in a robe and a crown on her head. She holds three pentacles in front of her and one is above her crown. Behind her is a brick wall symbolising strength, protection and safety. The pentacles ofcourse represent her finances and how she manages them. She is shrewd, careful and very practical. She is securing her financial future and will soon be rewarded for her patience and endurance. If you are this woman you are about to finally achieve your goal of financial security and freedom. You will be able to protect yourself from the adversities of the past and gain total financial control of your life. You may also be able to teach what you have learnt to others.

What is above You
    That which has gone before you, those past events and influences that have led you to this path
    Two of Pentacles
    Briefly: A choice between two options.

In Detail...
    This card shows a young man with a cap on his head which has a feather in it. He holds two pentacles, signifying a choice between two options. He is indecisive about where to put his time and his energy. He may also feel that his accumulation of funds needs to be weighed and considered as to where it would benefit him the most in the future. He could be offered two different jobs and will deliberate until he feels comfortable in his decision. He may join the army, navy or some other adventurous form of work. There is likely to be some good news or an offer arrives from overseas. The ocean is in the background signifying that he is a sensitive soul and has great compassion.

What is below You
    The current foundation and what you have access to build upon
    The World
    Briefly: Travel is often associated with this card, new found freedom is just around the corner. You may also expect that your situation will improve quite dramatically in the near future and you are able to explore life with more energy and enthusiasm.

In Detail...
    The World. This card shows a woman standing in the centre of the card and all she is wearing is a piece of cloth draped around her body leaving her breasts bare. She is apparently dancing and has a wand of some type in each hand. She has long brown hair and is carefree and open about herself and her motives. There is a wreath of leaves and ribbon surrounding her and behind this is the bull, lion, eagle and the head of a male figure. These represent the four fixed signs of the zodiac which are Taurus, Leo, Scorpio and Aquarius. These signs may very well be symbolic of someone in your life already who is having a huge influence on you, or it can represent someone coming into your life who is born under one of these signs of the zodiac. Travel is often associated with this card, as it can mean travelling the world and meeting many people on your journey. It is also a card of freedom which is indicated by the woman being almost naked. If you wish to be free of some limiting circumstance and then you draw this card, chances are you new found freedom is just around the corner. You may also expect that your situation will improve quite dramatically in the near future and you are able to explore life with more energy and enthusiasm. Circumstance can alter so quickly that you basically blink and then discover you have a new life opening up to you.

What is behind You
    The past events or influences that have played a major role in bringing this situation to light
    Two of Swords
    Briefly: There are decisions to be made.

In Detail...
    To draw this card shows that there are decisions to be made. However all the facts may not be in at this point in time. There could be something about to crop up that you are not aware of and it may come to light later. Often something is not seen in the clear light of day or there is an unknown factor involved. Time is often of the essence and it is usually worth waiting it out for awhile to see what may arise to clarify the issue. Making a decision with all the facts is much easier than with only half the information. Sometimes this card can indicate a problem with the eyes. Maybe an operation will be required, an injury may occur, or glasses need to be prescribed, or new glasses or some other matter involving the eyesight. If this card is not you, or is unlikely to represent any situation directly involving you, then it is possible that it may relate to someone close to you. They may need your insight, or wisdom to help them sort out a dilemma they are in. There may be a situation where someone has to choose between two differing options and is not sure which is the most appropriate one to select.

What is before You
    Immediate future and influences all about to come to light
    Two of Cups
    Briefly: Perhaps a new love is going to appear and involve some long-range commitment for you, the birth of a child or new found love.

In Detail...
    The picture on this card shows a man and a woman looking at each other and each one has a cup in the left hand and they are making a toast. There are some heavy black clouds in the background and these may indicate a period of time, such as further in the distance, or in the past. Perhaps a new love is going to appear and involve some long-range commitment for you. The number two can represent time as in days, weeks or months and this may indicate when the encounter will take place. The woman may also become pregnant early on in the relationship, or if a married couple have been trying and this has been delayed or hindered in some way, now it may eventuate. Also there can be a celebration of some kind and this of course could indicate the celebration of the birth of a child. If you are single and looking for romance, then it may be on its way and you cold find this person proves to be your soulmate.

Your-self
    How you see yourself: a true reflection on your current attitudes and belief systems
    Seven of Pentacles
    Briefly: A bonus or raise is in the near future.

In Detail...
    The picture on this card shows a strong man with a moustache holding a pick in his left hand. He is in a garden overflowing with healthy foliage, and in the background are mountains. He is obviously a hard working man going about his business, yet with an eye to the future. There are seven coins on the card depicting that he will gain financially from his efforts. There could also be a bonus in the near future for him, as most of the coins are in front of him. If this card represents yourself, you could be about to start a new job or earn an extra bonus in your pay packet. Or perhaps someone may actually assist you by guiding you towards a lucrative financial investment. You may also distance yourself from where you now live to earn a new living.

Your environment
    How others from home or work or family view the situation
    Seven of Swords
    Briefly: A home move.

In Detail...
    Quite often this card signifies a home move. There is a restlessness that gives the feeling of wanting to move on. If it is not a house move, it could be a new relationship, or one that is a significant relationship, such as your first one, or it has been a long time between relationships, or one that proves important in the long run, such as one leading to marriage. However a small word of caution, find out all you can about this new person, for there could be something secretive about him/her. This can also mean a significant happening or event at night, having to rush off somewhere, to someone's aid perhaps, someone in hospital and/or a time to make quick decisions and act in a hurry, or alternatively you may act in haste during the night. This card has also been known to indicate a robbery. It could be a thief in your home, or any other place where you keep valuables, such as a car or an office. Overall, your life now has the potential to alter in some significant way. You could cut ties with your past, your family or friends and go off on your own path. These changes may be irrevocable and can close the door on your old life to make way for a total transition into a new way of living. Just be sure this is exactly what you want to do. You need to be firm and strong in your decision making now and in the near future.

Hopes and Fears
    That which one coverts that lies deep inside, hopes and fears are but a razors edge apart
    Ace of Cups
    Briefly: There is some abundance coming into the life of the person who draws this card. Whatever is wished for will be granted

In Detail...
    The picture on this card shows a large cup being held in a hand and in the cup the contents are flowing over the side and in the background is a large white done. There is a watery background and some flowers and greenery. This symbolises that there is some abundance coming into the life of the person who draws this card. Whatever is wished for will be granted. Either a new love, a new location or other significant new start is possible and will occur within a relatively short span of time. If the health has not been so good, then this will be improved radically. If you have your sights set on some specific accomplishment, it is likely to be achieved. Take a leap of faith and trust in the future.

The outcome
    Eventual outcome based on current card path
    Ten of Cups
    Briefly: This card symbolises great happiness and contentment.

In Detail...
    This card shows a cup, held in a mans hand, and joined by a womans hand, as they appear to be about to sip together from the liquid in the cup, as if sharing in a celebration of some wonderful event. There is a rainbow in the background and several tall, green trees, some shrubs, beside a river and with mountains in the far distance. The sky is blue and the day looks warm as in Springtime. There are 9 cups across the sky in front of the rainbow. This card symbolises great happiness and contentment. Two people are brought together in unison and peace to share a special time in their lives. A joint project has obviously reached fruition and they are proud of their achievements and wish to celebrate in grand style. If you draw this card you may rest assured, that even though it took a long time to get where you are, it has all been worth the effort and the energy expended. You can relax in your new found comfort zone and pursue your other objectives with peace of mind, knowing that your life is now more secure than it has ever been.

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

Just a quickie but I saw this quote yesterday from Abraham Lincoln and thought this group would really appreciate it:

"All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind."

Off to pluck some thistles...

V.

• just_t
    18 years ago

V, thanks for plucking thistles!

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

No thistles growing here. There is a pink glow in the sky and the earth is carpeted with golden leaves. Enjoyed a fun day preparing vines for weaving and making 'cotlet' candy.

I have a question. Was told by someone who has tried it that 4 oz of red wine at bedtime promotes better sleep and reduces cholesterol more efficiently than lipitor. Any of you have testimony to that?

During 'rest time' have explored internet for party dresses. 'Old Pueblo' is still my preference. Not that I am planning to attend any parties... but good to know what is available. I think the last 'party' I went to was sometime around 1968..... go for fun and flowers. EP

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

When you say 'snow birds' do you mean juncos? To us, winter is here when juncos appear. Summer is here when the catbirds arrive and fall is here when they leave. We have not seen any juncos yet. EP

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

It must be winter here since there are ever so many juncos. They have been here for several weeks now. They always look like they are wearing tuxedos to me. The chickadees are everywhere too and a few bluejays screech at them all and grab the food.

Early this morning I received the news of MIL's death, around 8am. Although expected, it is always a shock. She died as she wished, with no intubation, etc. My daughter sent an email yesterday and SIL read it to her last night. I know what it said, and it was very touching, about all the things they had shared and how important she was in her life. Vashti,(MIL), shed a tear, and everyone believes she understood the contents. There is a very large family, extended family and "adopted" family. A celebration is planned for January or perhaps springtime. My day has been a bit chaotic and frantic, trying to locate DH at his conference. I did reach him and speak to him around 4pm and he is profoundly sad and feels crushed by a ton of bricks. He will be OK, but it is hard. He knows there are worse things than dying, but it will take time to adjust to the matriarch's passing.

I ran errands, removed hosta leaves in the freezing cold for an hour, painted basement stairs...and generally reminisced about a long interesting life well lived.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Marie, my sympathies to you and your family.

Sue

• just_t
    18 years ago

GB, my sympathies on the passing of your mother-in-law. 94 years......what wonders she must have lived through and heard of during her lifetime. I think your daughter's note to her grandmother was a very thoughtful, loving & wonderful gift.

Thinking of you....

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

Yes Ep . Our 'snowbirds' are slate-colored juncos . They arrived here at least 2 weeks ago , but are more abundant now .

Marie , my sympathies on your MIL's death , but I think you and I are of like minds about the death of the elderly . The 94 year old lady that we attended the funeral of , ( a couple of weeks ago ) , was the matriarch of her large family . She was loved by all that knew her , but I think most accepted her passing as a blessing . Naturally it leaves a vacancy in the lives of all who were close to her . She was one of the ones I always sat close to , and visited with , at the Thanksgiving Dinner we go to at one of her daughter's homes . I don't know if you have said where your MIL lived ?
    I'm sorry your DH is feeling so profoundly sad .

Sue , your Brug is lovely . The start Deanne sent me is looking very good . I hope it will be at least half as pretty as yours next fall .

Teresa , now where did you get my morning picture ??? LOL

Norma , your agastache is gorgeous !

Thanks Cindy . Good to 'see' you again .... been missing you .

V , good 'Westinghouse' joke !LOL . I guess I was thinking about my Mother's when I posted . I'm sure her's was Westinghouse . I think they are all made in China now .

Janie , your new garage is very nice . Sorry you are still ailing .

Taryn , since you ARE one of my adopted cyber daughters it's good that you considered me when you stifled the expletives !!!! LOL . ( I still speak to Tim , and he comes up with some undesirable words occasionally . :0( )
    I really can understand how trying your situation must be . It's too bad none of us can be of help , except to offer our sympathy . I'll pass , on the Tarot readings . My comfort comes from a much more reliable source .

I went in for my follow-up appointment with my new Doctor . She is very patient with me , and willing to work with me . She noticed I had a newly injured little pinky on my right hand , and wanted a nurse to dress it for me . I had an accident while washing dishes this morning . I poked my fingers in a glass to wash it out and the glass broke . I got a couple of pretty good cuts on the pinky . I showed the glass , and the injury to Nolon . His comment , " I wonder how that happened"', and he went back to watching Price is Right !!! I wondered how I would finish the dishwashing ( I had a mountain that had accumulated ) . I bandaged the vigorously bleeding finger , and dug out a plastic glove from a drawer , and went on with washing . I had visions of blood accumulating inside the glove , and was mentally feeling the effects of it . ( It didn't hurt .)
    There was very little inside the glove , lol . It still hardly hurts .

Ennyhoo , I am no longer taking bloodpressure meds , and am going to try the diet and exercise regiments that she gave me info on . I also am going to take ST. John's Wort( for my mind ) , and a homeopathic med that I got at the health food store , for arthritis and similar pain . If I am not improved mentally in about 3 months , we will try a mild antidepressant . I am even considering trying the 4 ounces of red wine at night to help me sleep , and to help my BP . ( Don't anyone faint ! )

Marian

• triple_creek
    18 years ago

GB, I am happy to know my picture lifted your spirits a little at such a trying time. My sympathy to your family, especially your DH.
    Norma

• Full_Bloom
    18 years ago

GB...I'm sorry to hear about your MIL. She sounds like a special lady and good that your DD was able to share her thoughts with her grandma. My sympathies to your DH and your whole family. It really doesn't matter how old you are or how old they are, it's always so hard to lose a parent...but 94 years...that's pretty special! Ei

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

A life well lived is never lost. Oklahoma is much prettier in spring.EP

• Monique z6a CT
    18 years ago

Norma, loved the Agastache 'Tutti Fruitti'-it is one of my favorite plants for length of bloom.

Deanne, good luck finding a dress. I have to find an outfit for our company Christmas party and am not looking forward to it. Remember, I'm not the typical woman and don't enjoy clothes shopping. Last year, I bought black velvet pants and a black top with sheer arms and a few sparkles. I'm so much more comfy in pants. Absolutely hate panty hose and heels.

Marie, I'm very sorry about your MIL!

Monique

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Marie, your mother and your mother in law in the same year must be touching lots of spots and bringing back memories. No wonder you're on a cleaning frenzy ~ My sympathy to you and to your family.

Marian, Merlot is very heart healthy and will help you sleep. I like the sound of your new health program! And cracked up over you washing dishes wondering if the glove was filling with blood lol!

Janie, your garage is all done!!! And is the car in the driveway too big for it? It's wonderful! Congrats, and I see shutter shadows so looks like still more work in progress?

Gosh Taryn, I hope the waiting is over for you soon. But think of all you've accomplished so far. It will be worth all of the work and waiting no matter how it turns out. And if you really want to sell, you will.

Deanne, did you check Talbot's? There use to be one in Acton, and there's probably one in Nashua now, but Acton's not far. They have some gorgeous dinner suits that I love.

It's 34F out this morning, the coldest so far this winter. But the house is 20 degrees warmer so maybe my insulation isn't as bad as I think it is? I'm going to take a shower to warm up.

Good Morning Chelone!

Cynthia

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Oops - Norma, loved that photo! Your pink Knockout is much deeper colored than mine - still blooming, but much more pastel.

• chelone
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow, Cynthia, you're up early!

'bug, sympathy to you and your family on Vashti's death. The exit of anyone close to us from this planet SHOULD make us pensive and slow us down a bit. Wasn't she fortunate to be able to get off this planet on her own terms? 94 is a long life! Your cellar looks amazing! I know how much effort it took; had you hired the work out it would have cost more than $1!

Do you think the "westing" rabbit is next to the GWAPE(s), V.? I love silly jokes (and Steve Martin).

Michelle, what color are you painting the family room? and what color glaze are you dry brushing on? I love faux work; adds so much dimension, covers so many "sins". But you really have to be plan it out or it can look pretty bad.

And eden, I'm with you on the attention to detail thing! The helpmeet prides himself on painting everything in a 6' diameter :) , and thinks I'm nuts to remove window hardware before painting them. I'm a picky painter, still toughing it out with alkyd paints.

Chimney is primed and today is the first coat of the base color. AFTER a thorough cleaning of the area (this means blowing the dust and pet hair/feathers out of the baseboard heat). Yesterday was a busy one; and not terribly fulfilling. I have today off and may take Monday off, too as, with any luck I could put the protective glaze coat over the finished painting project... . I struck out totally in my attempt to order the upholstery supplies. The supplier doesn't sell cut goods and I don't need 25 yds. each of base burlap, closely woven muslin, or cambric! I have to search on line or call the upholsterer (but would rather not have to). And I have to start the hunt for the mantel stone.

Oh Taryn, sorry about the present real estate woes. Find "substitute" invective and spew on, sister.

Woody, I can't offer you anything substanitive on your health. BUT, you are vigilant and rather than denying and hiding from it you seek regular, routine care. Early diagnosis (if your fears are realized) will stand you in good stead. A good friend of mine has rheumatoid arthritis; was diagnosed many years ago. She immediately began taking her health more seriously, is careful about her diet and vices, and exercises regularly (swims). She had days when she is sore, but her Dr. tells her many of her other patients simply gave up at diagnosis and now are greatly debilitated; my friend is not! Keep busy, interested, and maintain a positive attitude and optimistic outlook; too much worry is not helpful.

Martie, good luck with the job hunt. And I agree with the importance of ethics and integrity; it seems they're often give short shrift, but when you think all is lost you encounter a shining example. Renews your faith... someone will think that when they meet you.

The late season shots of plants are just lovely. I'm amazed at how long some of these plants hang in there. I was nervous about losing the "germamiums" last night, but it didn't happen last night. The hydrangea leaves are looking a tad more flacid this morning... . I KNOW I have to get cracking on the transfer to the great indoors... AFTER the painting is complete.

Janie, the garage is wonderful. We're still waiting for the finished survey of the property, and then there is the permitting process; looks like I'll be scraping windows and moving snow again this year. Oh well. I'll be thinking of you the first time I have to do it, and I'll be envious. ;)

Marian, good to hear you're making friends with your new appliance. I mentioned a recipe I'd seen for green beans with carmelized onions and toasted almonds, that it sounded good and might be a nice addition to the holiday table... , "yeah, that right! you're coming into your cooking season, hon.".

Times a wastin' for me; I need to get the day underway... .

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

Norma , forgot to mention your photos. Agastache is a favorite and one thing I'd like to have more of. Your's is beautiful. No success trying to grow it from seed this year.

Marian , the link is for you. Be sure to know the side effects and interactions of herbs and meds. Steven Foster used to be at Fayetteville. Have studied his work and have met him once at a lecture. I prescribe a dishwasher and a hot tub, appropriate exercise, and some peace of mind. Good luck.

I think I am going off into my 'world of enchantment' for awhile and try some basket weaving from my own akebia, not necessarily the way the Cherokees do it. See you when I 'get back'. EP

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Good morning Idylls,

Well the coldest morning to date this year at 31. A hard freeze and there won't be anymore dahlias clinging to life near the house. I still had a Snowcountry, Rosella, Otto's Thrill and a Bellini with flowers. Can you imagine that I had dahlias in the ground blooming until November 10th. That has got to be a record of some kind.

So, drumroll here I found a dress. Wohoo! EP and Cynthia, thank you for the help with the search. EP I'd never heard of Old Pueblo before but I love their site. That jacket dress is lovely.

The dress I found is black, 'V' neck front and back, a sheath style that changes to a fluttery, handkerchief, mid-calf length, hemline with some lovely beading then I found a short, sheer, beaded jacket that matches it perfectly. I'll need to grab a pic of it for you guys.

Cynthia, I'd completely forgotten about Talbots. We used to have one at the Nashua Mall. They are long gone now but I believe there is one at the Burlington Mall. I've bookmarked that site for further reference. I love the selection of dresses they have there. Like you I love some of those dinner suits. Nice! Maybe Monique can find something she can use there.

Marian, jeesh! Nolon needs, as Chelone says, a 'dope slap' up the side of the head if he didn't offer to finish up those dishes with your finger cut. That has happened to me before and those cuts can be nasty. I like the sound of your new doctor. Do have a little bit of wine just before bed! That is a very good idea. (Yes I almost passed out here)

Monique, I LOL about the fact that you don't like to shop for clothes. I used to be the same way. This shopping thing has happened to me since I lost weight. I know where you are coming from but there is a whole new world out there. LOL

V. good quote, I'm going to try to 'pluck a thistle' every day.

Jane, how wonderful your garage is finished. You must be so happy about that. I LOL about your giggling. Between all of us we could rearrange things and everyone would have the bodies of their dreams.

Taryn, that is so frustrating about the potential buyers not jumping on things like they said they would. So sorry. YOur stress levels must be off the charts. My friend MJ has been going through similar difficulties with the sale of her parent's house. It has been a year since her dad passed and she is the executor of the estate. There was so much to do and she already was pressed for time. Anyway, I think they finally have a buyer. I'm going to talk to her tonight.~~ That Tarot thing is funny. Wouldn't it be nice if it were right?

OK time to get off this computer and get to the gym. Here is a photograph of the last flower from Snowcountry. When I look at my dahlias I miss Honey. Hope she is just busy with things. {{gwi:185133}}

Have a lovely day everyone,
    Deanne

• vegangirl
    18 years ago

GB, I'm sorry about your MIL. My condolences to you, your DH and his family.
    VG

• janie_on
    18 years ago

Marie - My condolences to Ric, you and your family. I am happy that your daughter didn't wait to send the note.

Hugs to you
    Jane

• wendy2
    18 years ago

Marie, so sorry to hear about Vashti. My sympathies to you and your family. You said about her in your post "a long interesting life well lived" - that is a great accomplishment.

-Wendy

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

TGIF!

Hey, Deanne, good news on the dress. I like Talbots too. We have a couple within a reasonable drive from the house. As soon as they start marking down the late fall stuff I'll probably make a trip. A few weeks ago I saw alot of nice evenish dresses at Lord & Taylor so that's where I'm headed this weekend. Velvet is on my list this year.

We missed the frost again but I did scurry around the garden in the dark last night yanking stuff out of containers and tossing pots into the garage. As of this morning I still have roses, dahlias, salvia, and believe it or not the reblooming iris, 'Immortality'. If I hadn't panicked on the freeze warning I'd still have Abutilon but I hacked it back and yanked it from the pot. It was still gorgeous though and sprinkled with light peach colored flowers. Oh well, time to let go I guess. Norma your pic was great-loved the composition.

Janie, congrats on the garage. We love ours and I'm so glad that whole construction nightmare is over.

OK, better get at it. A former co-worker came out of the woodwork this week and I'm meeting him for lunch.

Sue

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Happy Sunny Morning!!!

'bug: So glad that your MiL was able to pass peacefully. While it is an initial jolt, I'll bet the gatherings in her honor will be full of wonderful stories!

Goal for the day: Learn how to post pictures in a thread :-)

To all with "excess" cleavage: Anytime you want to peel some off, send it to me. I don't wear anything low cut 'cause I'd need to tape these babies together to get any kind of center indentation. At least I'm proportionate so I don't need to get much altered. Deanne, I didn't know about your substantial weight loss! Good For You!

To all with health concerns: I am always grateful that we live in a day and age where so many different paths are available for dealing with illness. In my history, I have and have encouraged others to find a practitioner you like and stick with them. Change 10 times if you have to. If you didn't like a plumber, would you hire them again???? And since it seems like this group doesn't wait for a medical catastrophe to get help, KUDOS!!!! for recognizing the benefits of early detection of anything.

To all with household projects in progress: I envy the time you have to do this stuff and also envy the talent and patience to get it done. DH will attest to my total lack of painting talent. I can, however, sand sheetrock like a pro, but that's about it. I'll stick to dirt and fabric.

Sue: What a brug!!! Will be checking Logee's stock to see if they have one if all your cuttings have new homes.

Taryn: Read your tarot and it sure looks promising. Keep whatever faith you're comfortable with.

V: Sorry about the conference confusion :-) It is a milestone to have all kids out of that era.

I'm almost embarrased to say that I've never grown Agastache. Haven't quite figured out why, particularly after seeing the pic. Also found "Honeycomb" Buddleia to be interesting.

Will probably be more later as I'm taking a "home day" and regrouping spiritually, physically and emotionally, and getting some laundry done, too :-) Thanks for all the supportive words re: the job situation. I'm too old a Scottish Yankee to change my ways to fit the mainstream and folks will just need to take me as I professionally am. There's a place for everyone ..... I just need to keep looking :-)

Martie

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

We had our first hard frost last night too. The castor beans and banana are very sad. Yesterday was spent on cleaning and laundry and I think I'll be continuing with that theme today.

Marie, my sincere condolences to you and your family. It's been a rough year for you and I'm so glad you had the opportunity to spend the day yesterday with your thoughts and reminiscences.

Norma, I love your combo of the rose and agastache. And don't you just love that honeycomb buddleia? I got one for $2 last year at the end of the season and mine's still going strong and blooming like crazy and the blooms are the prettiest shade of yellow. I got a buddleia bicolor at the end of season sale this year and planted it a couple of weeks ago. I'm hoping that one makes it through the winter, you never know with a buddleia. I lost a Nahno Purple last year that was probably 4 years old.

Deanne, YEAAA! You found a dress. And it sounds like a good one! Can't wait for you to model it for us. Love your dahlia pic too.

Marian, I've done the same thing and cut my hand on a broken glass while washing dishes. Hope it heals up real quick for you. Also I'm hoping your new Dr. gets you feeling better.

Jane, the garage looks great. Bet you're glad that project is over.

Sue, that's some brug you've got there. My Charles Grimaldi was my best bloomer this year too.

Thanks for sharing the quote V.

Time for coffee and then Bella and I have cleaning to do. I sure wish I could teach the cats to dust and vacuum. Here's to a relaxing weekend for us all...Eden

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Martie, when I'm slightly bloated from water retention I've had marginal success with the gel shaping push up "miracle" bras. But really, in order to get push up you need to have something to push on...lol, what a subject.

I should have plenty of brug cuttings from Charles Grimaldi plus I plan to try and winter over the whole plant.

As far as feeling good, since I've been doing this stretch routine that I found in a Pilates book combined with three days a week of following a Pilates mat workout on DVD, my back has never felt better. In a few weeks I plan to move up to the intermediate version of the Pilates. As some of you know, I had an extruded disc back in March and was in some serious pain. In order to try and protect my back I had given up on lower body strength training but now I seem to be back on track and determined to keep up the routine.

Ok, this time I'm really gone.

Sue

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Testing 1,2,3.

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Caught up on my reading. I really enjoy sharing your lives, even if I don't comment much individually.

Today will be a garden/think day. Yes, it has been a year for me...and continues to be so. Today DS leaves for Israel, Egypt, Tunis and Italy. Thank goodness he has dropped Lybia from the agenda. The Italy portion of the trip is to be with his friend Laura...a lady I have mentioned to this group in the past who I feel brings out the worst in him. On the other hand, at 34, do I have a say? The Tunis section of the trip is with yet another lady friend. At least the Israel portion is with a male friend and the Egypt section is solo. If I sound cranky through the Thanksgiving holidays, it will largely be from concern about him and his travels. He is to join us for a week at "Noel" time.
    Yes Marian, it sounds like a great transition in medical "maintenance". Do you suppose they drank Merlot at the Last Supper?
    As I recall, Jane's new garage is for the motorcycle, hence her DH's attention to quick completion! ;-) I think she'll be scraping the windshield along with you Chelone!
    DH returns late this evening, so I had best get busy and organize house & garden. At least I don't need to buy a dress for the occasion!
    'bug

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Martie, you've achieved your goal for the day and it's only 9am. Can't wait to see more pictures from you!!!

Marie, isn't Laura the girl who knitted the scarf a while back?

I can't believe Blackie hasn't checked in here with some comments on the bra/cleavage discussion. Seems that one would be right up his alley. He must not be reading the Idylls this week?

Eden

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Let's ALL take a home day! I think that's why I was ready to type/talk early today. Needed a day off, and there was a quiet bubble at work, so instead of playing catch up I declared a holiday. Well, maybe it is a holiday. Happy Veteran's Day and a huge thank you (Hi Saucy!) to all Veteran's and to all active military personnel too.

I'm convinced on the Charles Grimaldi. Too late for Sue to mail, so I'll order one from Logee's soon as I can in the spring. (Seeds probably don't come true if I could find them.) Martie you're going to Logee's soon right? It's such a wonderful place to go in the cold seasons or on a rainy summer day. Just crowded with growth and old and lush. It would be nice if you could take photos to share here. Do you have a photo hosting account? Picturetrail is used a lot here, and another one that I can't remember. Just get an account, upload the photos and then use the HTML code from the image sharing or URL page in your account to embed the photos here. We'll help if you need it.

Eden, I ordered seeds - just a very few- from JL Hudson yesterday. Lespedeza Thunbergii (I have the cultivar 'Gibraltar' and it's enormous stunning shrub, but I never catch the seeds), Asphodeline Damascena (which GB has), Silphium perfoliatum (saw stunning photos of it this summer on the Perennials main forum), and Agave Victoria Reginae 'Pintillo'. Since Agave are slow growers that should be a good one to keep me happy this winter. Something I can start early. I love agaves!

Glad that you found a dress Deanne! I never go clothes shopping - just too hard, and panic if I have to go into the office. I have two 'acceptable' black dresses for deaths and parties. Just change the jewelery ~

OK, what will I do with my FREE day? Get 10% of the fall garden chores done? I can't believe most of you are done already. The cannas look a little burnt from the cold last night. I hope I didn't throw out all of my boxes, because I do plan to store them that way this winter. Before I switched to growing them in pots, I used to dig them each winter and box them in the attic where I stored them in the shower to keep them dormant. It was so easy to sprinkle them with water come March!

OK Martie, nice job. Now embed it in the text by pasting the url that you linked into the code shown below. Be sure to use all quotes and brackets exactly as shown:

If you did it correctly, you'll see the picture when you preview.

For example (and remember the url for your photo will be pasted between the quotes.)

Produces this "Good Morning I don't wanna get up!" from Katie:
    {{gwi:185139}}

• chelone
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The Maine contingent of the "white tornado" club is taking a break. I am not working with my customary systematic teutonic precision... I have several daily chores STARTED but non, as yet, complete.
    1.) dishes in sink on "soak"
    2.) cat box "mined" (that's complete)
    3.) have used the Kirby on "blower" to blow the dust out of the baseboard heat fins. I've gone back over it and vacuumed it up. I've vacuumed the window sills,the sashes, the floor, and I'm now going to put the first coat of paint on the chimney.
    4.) I put the first coat of silicone caulk on some gaping seams on the hearth "apron". When the caulk becomes translucent I'll be able to decide if it's time for paint or more caulk (suspect the latter, since I'm painting with high gloss, oil enamel and it showes EVERYTHING you missed in your prep. work).

Next move is to remove the cornices and give the draperies a really good shake/vacuum/airing. The helpmeet has agreed to do this tonight and they will go back "into position" when the chimney/wall project is complete.

I meant to comment on the quote from "Honest Abe" that V. offered up... it's just great. Here's on of my personal favorites: "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin. His is one of my favorites in the history of our country, right up there with Abraham Lincoln. There is nothing sweeter than a nicely turned phrase, full of contemplation. Especially when they prove so timely!

Nou-Nou is the same color as Wrecks. I have a really stupid, whiney/high pitched voice that rises and falls like a meow that I use when talking to a cat, ANY cat. Itis a the same voice my father always used. He could get pretty nearly any cat to come over to him; I can, too (so can my brother and Mum). I sound like a complete idiot. The helpmeet has picked it up, too... with the same success rate. Do you do this, too?

I have to deal with paint and then the dishes. And then some errands. Later, kids!

• wendy2
    18 years ago

Good Friday morning! It is cold and blustery here today, temp was 29F when I got up. Already I think that its Saturday because we had our "Saturday morning" pancakes. DD and DS love pancakes, and would probably eat them every day. They are picky though, they like the Bisquick version with a little sugar & lemon juice, no "just add water" for my griddle gourmets. We only make pancakes on Saturdays, no time for that during the week when we have to rush off to school or work.

Today I plan to tackle inside chores, like retrieving the rest of the winter clothes from the attic, and stowing away the rest of the shorts. More fleece blankets and warm clothing are needed since we are trying to keep the thermostat low!

My canna are still struggling along outside. Do you really have to wait until the foliage is completely dead to lift them? I'm afraid that we might have 6" of snow before that happens! I had canna 'Tropicana' last year and I think I lifted it too soon or left it out to dry too long - the tubers shriveled up and did not come back for me this spring.

Chelone, it sounds like your chimney project is progressing nicely. What colors are you using? LOL on GWAPE, I thought it was some inside joke or new internet acronym that I didn't know about, or maybe the Elmer Fudd side of you...

Martie, good luck with the job search. Hopefully you can take your time and find something that is a good fit for you. I fantasize about changing jobs, sometimes I really hate being "chained to a desk", but it is a family thing. I work for my SIL in the family business; it is actually only the 2 of us in the office, plus a receptionist. I love her dearly, but she is not the always the easiest woman to work for. We work better individually than together. My only hope of leaving that job is if they decide to sell the business...

Deanne, glad you found a dress for your reunion. You are the queen of shopping! Where did you end up finding it?

Monique, I'm with you - I'm more comfortable in pants too. We have a big family wedding coming up next May though, I guess I'll need put on a dress for that one. Not sure yet if it is a daytime or evening wedding. Why May though? Don't even get me started on bridal showers and weddings during peak gardening season - I foresee at least 2 "wasted" Saturdays next spring!

Taryn, hang in there - thinking of you and your real estate struggles.

Take a moment today to think of all the men and women who have served our country; we have them to thank for the freedoms we have. I tried to explain freedom of speech to my kids once, and they could not comprehend that in some countries you could be jailed or killed for expressing your opinions on certain subjects.

Well, duty calls - the attic is waiting for me.

-Wendy

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

This definitely is the day to say ***Hi Saucy!*** I wish you would step forward and be aknowledged on Remembrance Day. Think of you often, your house, your outdoorsy family, those darling kids, your accent- which to me is so wonderful! I suppose your garden chores are coming to a close for another year.

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Cynthia, starting agaves from seed, what an intriguing idea. I've been wanting one since seeing the pictures of yours. Wish I'd known you wanted Silphium perfoliatum I could've saved you seeds. Make sure you give it lots of room when you plant it out, it's a very large plant...

{{gwi:185141}}

Eden

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Eden, I wonder if this is what I have that everyone thinks is Jerusalem artichoke. They sure take over the planet whatever they are and are impossible to dig out.

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

LOL , Eden . I was thinking the bra discussion may have scared our male posters away . Of course it shouldn't bother David , since he is a physician .
    Thanks on your good wishes , but at this point my Dr. isn't very much involved .

Wow ...I got up with a doosey of a headache ! Am waiting for pain pills to ease it .

Our phone company is installing a new underground cable . According to DH , the phone guy told him that it would improve our internet service ... we'll see. The line has arrived at our mailbox area , and is proceeding down the hill today ( if nothing bends or breaks ) .

Marie , I hope I didn't sound insensitive to your loss . As I said , I have no problem accepting the death of elderly folk , no matter how close . I am more apt to rejoice if I know they have 'lived a good life ' ( sort of like what EP said ) . I hope my survivers don't grieve too deeply when I pass on . ( BTW , I like the name 'Vashti' . I know from whence it comes . )
    RE : Merlot , we believe the 'fruit of the vine ' was unfermented . Now the wine that Paul told Timothy to take ," for his stomach's sake , and his many infirmities " , was surely fermented .
    Sorry about your DS concerns . It sounds as though he has a very busy , and interesting , life . Good to hear that your DH is on his way home .

Thanks for the St. John's Wort link , EP . It is a good one . I have bookmarked it . Mmmmm , I'd like to sample your cotlets !

If you have noticed that I am jumping around with my follow-ups , it's because I am just scrolling back and forth , and not taking notes . I'm afraid I keep missing things I want to respond to .

Brrrrr , Cynthia . I hope you donned plenty of warm clothing after your shower , with the indoor temp only mid 50s ! Does the sun help warm your house ? It does ours . We have lots of windows on the sunny sides .

LOL , shouldn't that be 'Westing wabbit near the gwapes " ?

Chelone , if your bean recipe is anything like the famous green beans and onion rings recipe , I'll pass . YUK ! MY sis loves it . She can have my part ... lol .

Deanne , I'm happy you have found a nice dress . I hope I didn't offend you with my post . I just don't have that much interest in clothing . I guess I'm fortunate that I live in a country atmosphere . I don't want you all thinking everyone around here are 'country bumpkins ' . There are lots of 'high-toned ' ladies . I'm just not one of them , and I am never involved in activities that require fancy dresses . I do think the dress you found sounds lovely , and I do want to see a pic of you wearing it . LOL , on the 'dope slap ' for Nolon . He hasn't a clue !

Congrats , Martie , on your pic posting success . You are a fast learner .

Guess I need to get out and do some walking . I don't want to go up the road while the work crew is there , so will walk around and around our yard . That in it'sself can cover a bit of territory .

Marian

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!