Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningmary

Bathroom Redo Pics

gardeningmary
15 years ago

Before:

{{gwi:185267}}

A shot of the 70's fixtures. Harvest Gold was very "in". If you look carefully you might see the gold flecks in the formica counter top.

{{gwi:185268}}

The acrylic towel holders and louvred medicine cabinet had to go too.

Ta-Da!

{{gwi:185269}}

Basic palette is the same as we kept the tile floor and bone colored toilet and tub. However, a coat of linen paint did wonders to brighten the room and the cabinet was sanded, painted and given new brushed bronze knobs.

{{gwi:185270}}

Granite tiles are lovely and shiney. I wonder how long they will stay that way.

{{gwi:185271}}

Detail with faucet. You can see that installing it without instructions was hard for a non-plumber.

Annie loves the new bathroom and says it will be much, much easier for her to keep clean. She is so pleased with it she wants to put pictures on her Facebook page - the highest praise indeed LOL!

Mary

Comments (16)

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Mary, this is so nice. Love the vessel sink and you did a great job on that tile. I really like the new mirror too and just the whole new "look". Isn't it so satisfying to complete a redo like that? I always feel like I've really accomplished something. I can see why Annie's so happy with it. Really good job! Thanks for showing us. I love to see this sort of stuff.

Eden

• jak1
    15 years ago

Wow, Mary! That looks lovely! I am sure the shiny tiles will stay that way. When I looked at the "before" photo, I thought, well hey, that looks like a pretty nice bathroom...but you have really moved it into the modern world! Great job!

Julie

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

But why did your old mirror end up in MY bathroom?

Wonderful! The sinks definitely had to go. It's one of those things DH wouldn't understand though since they aren't broken. (Those hammers would come in handy for that though...)

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Very inspiring job, Mary! I love the color scheme!

Saucy

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

That is lovely! You and Chelone run neck-and-neck in the Jack-of-all-trades sweepstakes... :-)

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Mary, it's fabulous! I'm so impressed with your skills and your determination. It all looks so calming and easy on the eyes.

Michelle

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Very interesting, but I have a couple of questions:
    Were does the overflow go, and won't there be a lot of water splashed out onto the cabinette?

Many years ago we washed in a wash pan, but it was set down into the sink. :-)
    I do like the extra countertop space. And I admire your ability to install that yourself.

• chelone
    15 years ago

For the life of me I can't imagine why you'd have wanted to change a single thing. I thought the original Formica lent a certain "sparkle" to things. ;)

I didn't notice the faucet at first and wondered where you'd put the pitcher to fill up the wash basin! It looks just grand and you should spend some quality time fluffing your feathers and preening.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Well,, it's official , Mary is now the Bathroom Queen of the Idylls! Long live the Queen !

Kathy in Napa

• gardeningmary
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the kind comments everyone!

Marian - the overflow runs into a channel between the inner and outer walls of the sink, then down into the drain below the stopper. It's rather a nifty system.

I'm also wondering about water splashing and have no doubt globs of toothpaste and smears of lotion will soon cover the tiles as well. For this reason I sealed the granite 3 times. I'll post a report once it's been in use a few months. Although ultra modern, I like the basin look of the sink and it too reminds me of Victorian ewer and basin sets.

Signing off,
    HRIBH
    (Her Royal Idyll Bathroom Highness)
    LOL! Kathy

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Well done, Mary! What an improvement. Why did we ever think that Harvest Gold was a good color for bathroom sinks?

And how nice that Annie is so proud of it. That's got to be the frosting on a very elegant cake.

V.

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Long Live the Queen!! Without a doubt, a bathroom fit for a Princess!!

The whole thing came together wonderfully and I really think you need to go get your plumber's license!! Nothing like a gardening/water making biz!!

Martie

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Very impressive Mary! It looks so well done, that you would never know you worked on it. Looks like it has been there for years. I would like to hear how you like using the sink above the counter, after you've had a chance to use it. They are different looking for sure. I wonder what the advantages and disadvantages of them are.

Very surprising that someone would attempt plumbing as a DIY project. I can't wait to see what you decide to try next!

:-)
    pm2

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Wow Mary!!!! BRilliant work! I just love the new look and that tile is gorgeous. Now I know for sure that you are Wonder Woman!
    Deanne

• nalyn
    14 years ago

Hello All --
    I stumbled upon some amazing photos of a 50s bathroom redo with MY tile -- grey and burgundy, and now i can't find it. If anyone knows or can direct me, i'm new here.
    i loved that makeover, the cabinet was an espresso color wood and the countertop was granite. looking for a beautiful needle in a haystack! thanks for your help. Nalyn - aka Ben's mom

• rebathofaustin
    9 years ago

If anybody would need help with a bathroom re-model that would be done extremely quickly, many times in just a weekend please contact us at Rebath of Austin.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rebath of Austin

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals