gardenbug_gw

Before the Flurries at the Farm

gardenbug
18 years ago

November 8, 2005

Looking out.

{{gwi:185438}}

Stepping out- 8am

Two of my favourite grasses: Calamagrostis brachytricha and Molinia caerulea 'Strahlenquelle'.

{{gwi:185439}}

The vegetable garden is almost cleaned up. The sweet peas in the centre need dividing, the garlic needs digging, one more row to weed.

{{gwi:185440}}

The right hand side of this path needs major attention. Today?

{{gwi:185441}}

The wind storm broke this 80 year old spruce. Firewood for 2008!

{{gwi:185442}}

Miscanthus malapartus in front of Diablo Ninebark

{{gwi:185443}}

Miscanthus Huron Sunrise

{{gwi:185444}}

Rugosa roses in their fall colour with red hips.

{{gwi:185445}}

Looking toward the house and barn.

{{gwi:185446}}

Comments (17)

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

Marie , Your pictures are great ! I know how sad you must feel at the knowledge that this is probably the last for this year.... and a long time 'til spring . That second pic is espacially pretty . Charlotte is enjoying the path . :o)
    It is clearly evident that you are putting in an awful lot of work there .

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Marie, what a collection of gorgeous shots-even the muted fall colors look vibrant. I especially like #2 and the last one.

Sue

• chloehoover
    18 years ago

Lovely, lovely, Marie. You have such an eye - I can almost hear the grasses waiting for the kiss of the snow...

-Cindy.

• chelone
    18 years ago

You're not afraid of the bear shuffling along the path ahead of you? :)

Lovely shots, 'bug.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    18 years ago

In fact it is my sweet baby gorilla.

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

You live in a calendar GB! I noticed that bear too :) (At least she didn't call you a baboon Charlotte.)

• just_t
    18 years ago

GB, what a beautiful setting you live in! All of your hours of hard work show in how neat & tidy things look. Thanks for sharing the pictures (I thought 'bear' when I saw Charlotte in that photo).

T.

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Hi all, I'm so tired but we got alot done in the garden today. One more marathon and I should be as finished as I'm going to get this year. Since no one replied about my canna question I decided to try overwintering them in the pots. The worst that will happen is that I'll have to buy new ones next spring.

Mary, I'm glad you got the book. Sorry your family isn't feeling well. I had a bout with stomach flu last November that I still remember well. I'm reading the next Elm Creek Quilters book now and will send it on when I finish. I ran across a cute wood cut out that I thought you might like. I'll link it at the end of the post. It doesn't look too difficult (my kind of project)and would be something the children could help you with again.

Michelle, Happy Birthday to Kenzie. She does look so grown up with her cute haircut. Brad and I always used to take the kids to the zoo for their birthdays when they were small too, starting with Jennifer's very first. I love going to the zoo still. Sometimes just Brad and I will go for my birthday.

Nice to hear from Da.

I hope we hear good news from Taryn soon too!

I had more to say but I'm fading fast here. So have a good evening everyone. Good Night,

Eden

Here is a link that might be useful: snowman cutout

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Oops, I put that on the wrong thread. Guess I'll post it again on the Idyll thread...

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Marie, your farm is beautiful. I love the picture of the lane and the bridge leading to the house most of all. And those ornamental grasses are wonderful. I planted M. huron sunrise and the Calamagrostis brachytricha this year. I hope mine grow up to look as nice as yours. The picture of your neat and tidy vegetable garden makes me want to take up the offer of my neighbor behind me and put in a veggie garden back there. If only there were more (gardening) hours in the day. Thanks for sharing these.

Eden

• Woody_Canada
    18 years ago

Marie - it's all so beautiful there...! Charlotte certainly does look like a bear! The broken off spruce reminds me of the avenue of old spruce and fir that lined the road to my grandparents' place when I was growing up. Every winter at least one would come down in a storm and block the road. We usually found out about it when someone would pound on the door very early in the morning to ask us to get up and remove the tree so they could get to work.

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Gasp in awe!! Marie, what a lot of obvious work you've put into making it wonderful. Is Charlotte really as big as she looks?????

Martie

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Charlotte is about 75 pounds and eight years old. She is loved by ALL.
    Chelone, here's her head! And for you hair concious folk, this is her windblown look:

{{gwi:185447}}

• chelone
    18 years ago

She has wonderfully gentle eyes, 'bug. BUT... she looks as though she has one of those "sticky" mouths; sorry... (ick)

Even though I HATE DOGS, I have to say Wrecks has as close to the perfect coat any dog could sport. It's short, smooth (shorter than a Lab.'s) and NO part of his anatomy could be "sticky".

I know you'll understand and probably chuckle (at least I hope so!).

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm mortally offended! ;-) She only has a wet mouth when drinking from the creek...or eating dinner... In fact, if I trimmed her hair more regularly it would be no problem at all. I do not like slobbery dogs and people assume she is one, but no, not really. Her coat is difficult and needs frequent attention...with burrs etc. When she meets those black & white "cats" her coat is HECK to clean. She seems to understand though.

Her chocolate eyes do reveal her gentleness. She's a gentle goof.

• chelone
    18 years ago

I knew it! she's the sort of dog I HATE...

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

It's okay , Marie . MOST of us like her ...even me , and I'm not really a 'dog' person !!!!! :o)
    The cousin next door had one similar to her . It's name was 'Bear' . He rode on the top of the pickup cab ! Quite a sight to see .

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County