Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Idyll 237---It is raining inside.....

Posted by Just_T z8 WA (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 18, 05 at 9:12

So many with water inside where it shouldn't be.....add our names to the list. A fitting under the monster tub in the master bath decided to leak. DH has been doing plumbing after work a couple days trying to reroute the pipes so he can access the area easier.

Those of you with plumbing woes have my sympathy.

T.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Idyll 237---It is raining inside.....

Now here's a switch of topic!

Last night I was checking my mother's investment portfolio which is with Charles Schwab. I was very pleasantly surprised to see a big increase! On close investigation, her total had increased by approximately $80,000. Given that things are in a state of flux with her estate, I assumed the administrator had made a deposit.
Turns out it was all an error, that Schwab had made a big mistake. :-( Things are back to normal (financially speaking) this morning.

o
not only that

You can be sure I knew exactly how to spend it too....

o
RE: Idyll 237---It is raining money....

Oh GB! Darn and I thought it was going to begin raining money in your life!

Mom's investments had a glitch one time.........they said she had a zero balance. Scared the sugar right out of her....but turned out that statements were being printed left & right with zero balances. The next month all of the funds were back in her account & on her statement.

I hope things work out soon regarding her estate.

T.

o

'bug -- When are you going to be able to just go lie on a beach somewhere with a good book in one hand and beverage of choice in the other???? Perhaps you and Taryn and others who are involved with lengthy legal manueverings could wrangle a few days ......

The Probate Courts here have new laws to contend with and I've been following them closely to ensure that Brother's estate and care don't get interrupted because of me missing something. He doesn't have enough money to warrant hiring someone to help me sort through everything new, but what he has is what he has and without it, his life would be turned upside down. (No Friday night trips to Walmart from the hospital would be devastating to him.) Sat down with my parents and their attorney last week to go through everything with them. All seems to be in order. Being the oldest of five has its "privileges."

So, today am going to enjoy my final "work" day free and clean out my potting bathroom and office. Then, on to storage room downstairs and 5 years worth of DH's business paperwork. Shredder is in place, coffee is made, music is on, and away we go!!!

Will undoubtedly be checking in here and there. Five year old electric bills will hold interest for only so long "-)

Martie

o
RE: Idyll 237---It is raining inside.....II

Almost forgot: TO CHEER EVERYONE UP :-)

If anyone would like bittersweet vine for holiday decorating let me know via email with your address. All I ask is that you treat it as the invasive it is and not let any of the berries germinate :-)

AND: Thoughts to all with wet or dry difficulties. Feeling very lucky this morning that DH has a plumber on retainer and that we're not in the midst of major house renovation or selling ....

Martie

o

Chilly here this morning with a very light dusting of snow on roofs but nothing like Taryn's picture. Losing a bag of boots would be highly annoying when that's what's outside your door!

For those of you who were intereseted in some Angel Rose hips/seeds, I was planning on mailing them off this weekend so e-mail me your address if you want some. It looks like I have enough to send a dozen or so hips (a couple of dozen seeds...) to at least 8 people and so far, I only have two batches spoken for so, if you want some, let me know.... first come, first served...:-) I was thinking of using those padded CD mailing envelopes to send them - I've not mailed things like this before - how do those of you who regularly mail seeds back and forth do it?

Deanne - my new 3-day-a-week helper actually has had training as a pastry chef years ago and says she has notes from then on general proportions of things to help you 'invent' recipes that work and she'll bring that next week to assist us in playing with the recipe. We probably won't get around to it until Thursday because Wednesday is going to be a major curry cooking day here. My friend who was originally from Tanzania is coming out along with someone we both used to work with and both Barb and Teresa (new helper) will be here so there will be 5 women tripping over each other (and the two dogs) cooking a lunch and then curries to divide up and take home for dinner - should be fun but might be a case of 'too many cooks spoil the broth'! So far the plans are for puffed apple pancakes for lunch, then Afghan home-style Naan, a chicken curry from a Bombay Palace recipe, a beef curry from my friend's east African recipes, and an onion/cucumber/carrot salad. Tuesday I need to do some serious food shopping - and organize the kitchen and pantry!

o

Don't forget to post the successful recipes Woody! I wish you delivered. :-) My 'no fail' curry recipe was not a success last night. The chicken was inexpensive and greasy, the curry not up to standard. I should mix my own.

My 'get up and go-er' isn't working this morning. Best be on my way now. I already crave spring.

'bug

o

• Posted by Taryn S Ontario Z6B (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 18, 05 at 11:16

Appropriate title T. Went for my tests, then I was given a bottle of orange carbonated stuff with a styrophone cup over it and asked to go back to the waiting room and drink it, then tell the girl at the desk so she can note the time to retest. So I'm juggling this, book, and water bottle and go to take my seat and start when an ounce or so of the orange stuff rained on my legs, hands and the carpet. She neglected to tell me there was no LID on under the styrophone cup!

No harm done, just my pride was wounded. It's a good thing I have this rash all over my face, as none of the 15 people in the waiting room could tell I was flushing with embarrassment. ENNYway, I came home to change and am going to look at boots now before heading back to the lab at
12:25 and making an omelette and coffee for breakfast and to start this day over again. It's Friday right? Not Monday?

Taryn

o

Hi all .

Not as cold last night . Only got down to about 30F . The wind has settled down to a breeze . It is clear as a bell .

Eden , I'm sorry about your woes . I sure can empathize . It seems we are all having troubles in batches . I lived without hot water for a year or more when we moved into this home . I heated water on the range and the wood stove . We went to Nolon's aunt and uncle's house for showers . I still heat water on the wood stove when our power goes out in the winter . Actually , we had no running water at all for a year or more . We hauled water from the neighbors and from streams . Thank goodness our water heater is in the utility room which has a cement floor with a drain . Bummer on the dry run to the Doc's office . I had that happen once when I went for an appointment , only in my case , he was out due to 'his' illness ! It's a 40 minute drive . Poor Megan . I hope they leave her alone !

Yum , Brenda - what are you planning for all that pie baking and chocolate dipping ? My mouth sure is watering .

Michelle , I never had a 'white-out ' experience while driving , but remember some harrowing times on icy roads . The only way I will be caught in such a predicament , now-a-days , is if a freak storm comes while I am in town . I don't leave our yard if there is just a hint of ice or snow in the forecast . I really feel sorry for all the people who HAVE to go out . Being old and retired has it's good points .

Mary , it's good to hear that your sis and family are getting settled , after their ordeal . Is it lonesome at your house now ? Your Annie is just a little older than my DGD Savannah , so I see the 'growing up ' with her , too . She will soon be taller than I . There is always such a differance in all three of them when they finally get to come to our house . I am missing so much of their growing up .

Speaking of 'clothes' . Tim bought over $600 worth of clothes for the girls last spring , because their mother prefers to spend her money on other things ( like a $1,000 dog ! ) The clothes he bought disappeared , and she says she doesn't remember getting them ! Now what he buys for them remains at HIS house ! Last fall I gave them a stack of children's books that were Tim's when he was small . I stipulated that they are to stay at Tim's house . Such a shame that she would be like that . I pray that she will " come to herself' and shape up . Okay ...enough of that !

Deanne , lows in the 20s are not too unusual here at this time of the year . We have even had the teens , and even one 7F in mid. November , since we moved here . We've also had highs up to 80 !The weather is sooooo variable here .
I really appreciate the offer of the Phal. , and would love to have a start . I'm watching mine closely for signs of bloom starts .... and guess what ! there is one starting on the first Phal. that Ei sent me ! Woo hoo ! I also discovered more scale on my old one , and went over all of them with my fingers , wiping off all traces of them .

Ooooooo , Marie ! What a bummer on the destroyed coleus - but look at it this way : they probably wouldn't have made it through the winter anyway , at least without getting aphids or somthing else on them , and they are easily replaced .

Cynthia , sorry about your mandevillas . I deliberately left mine out . It is a common variety , and never had done well for me . Maybe I'll get one of the newer varieties in the spring . They are very pretty .

Good heavens , Taryn ! The boot snafu is REALLY the pits !
I would almost have a heart attack if that happened to me . Please , please ...label your stored items in the future ...:-)

LOL - Martie ; " five year old electric bills " . I'm sure I have some that are as old or older . I am an avid saver of everything .... statements , receipts , cancelled checks , warranty papers , and on and on . Actually , I am a packrat , and save evrything ! I have stacks and stacks of newspapers that I need to sack up and tote out to the storage shed , with hopes of using them for lasagna beds . ( In your dreams ! ) . I have hundreds of magazines in the floor to ( almost ) ceiling bookcases in the spare bedroom . I hate to throw them away . Tim used to say he wanted them , and maybe he still does . He told me awhile back to not throw anything away .

Marian

o

Oh my! Sounds like the boogey man has come to visit everyone with buckets of woe. Good grief Taryn, I can't believe you gave away a bag of winter boots. Just awful.

T, that is unbelievable that you have leaking plumbing as well and, you guys aren't going to believe this one, I haven't been able to use my master bath shower for three weeks now because the grout needs to be re-done and it leaked on the kitchen ceiling when Doug was in CA. He still hasn't fixed it. I'm hoping it gets repaired this weekend.

Woody, very neat that you know a pastery chef. Your curry day sounds like fun.

Bug, jeesh, it is a good thing that our furbies are too cute for words when they are all curled up and purring. That is a real drag about your coleus even though you hate them. I wish I could send you some to replace them but can't send plants up your way and it is too cold now anyway. But, the good news, is that I do still have some Cleome 'Linde Armstrong' seeds. They are from my last year's plant so I don't know how well they will germinate. This years plants didn't set any seed at all. Please email me your address so I can mail them to you.~~ Bummer that windfall didn't stay around. Wouldn't that have been nice.

OK time to get motivated and get a few things done around here. A friend of Doug's from his last place of employment is coming over tonight for Chinese takeouts and the house is a pig sty at the moment.

Have a good day everyone. Taryn and GB I sure hope your day improves.

Deanne

o

Excuse me, but I need to reclassify myself from the "Leaking hot water heater" group to the "Leaking humidifier" group. Turns out it was the latter that was leaking and DH shut it off last night. A coworker is going to lend me her carpet cleaner so I can deal with the mess on the rug tomorrow. Tonight I am going to a Tastefully Simple party and I sure hope she's serving wine. ;)

The crisis du jour at the office was that the 56 GB hard drive was out of space. Turns out the computer "experts" had not set up the virus protection correctly so we had a quarantine file that was growing like topsy in a geometric progression. I have this sneaky feeling that they will want to charge us to fix what they didn't set up right to start with. I may argue that point...

Marie, I'm sure that $80,000 could have gotten you to a beach! Oh well, back to reality.

It's chilly and gray today. I'm trying to decide what sounds good for a quick dinner before I go out. Hmm, maybe I should eat lunch first!

V.

o

Here's a picture of our current mess. It is the second time we've had a leak in this area so the floor is horribly stained. I'm not sure if it is rotting or not (I would think so but DH isn't believing that). There is no mold and I've had a heater blowing on the area to dry it out. I'm guessing it will be an issue when we ever put the house up for sale. Just makes me sick to look at it and to imagine having to take the tub out & replace the floor.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

The area is a very tight fit for DH to crawl into and try to work. So....he decided to run the pipes over to the edge to make any future repairs easier (OH NO!!! Future repairs?!!! Say it isn't so!).

HE is home today.......HE took a vacation day.........HE is outside burning some brush piles. I guess I'd better get off the computer and get busy before HE comes in again. ;oD

Taryn, sorry about you getting drenched and I was sorry to read about the bag of boots. Hopefully the day will improve?

T.

o
A day for the birds...

When it is windy, cold and gray...

Food always seems a comfort!

o

GB - that first picture is gorgeous!

o

new picture for my desktop! Thanks Marie...

nothing leaking here that I know of...LOL...but I had better go check on the dog...

wake me up when it is spring..I hate being cold!!

o

I have the south wall and the chimney dragged! It was pretty easy, just a little fiddly and time consuming. I had to mix more glaze (you're NOT supposed to do that) and nearly made a dreadful mistake... I added too much black and the glaze was too grey. I noticed it immediately after doing about 24"; good thing I'm in the habit of standing back to take a "long" look. I simply wiped it off with thinner and a rag. Then I mixed up a new batch of glaze and finished up in no time. It's drying now, deepening to a pleasing color as it does. Tomorrow I will topcoat it with straight glazing liquid. That will protect the finish. Finishes created with glazes are notoriously fragile, not withstanding any amount of scrubbing without showing the effects.

Because I'm working with oil-based paints I've had the windows cracked and had the slider open about 6", too. I was working on the chimney when I heard a lot of activity in the bedroom, cats AND Rex. I went to look, they were in the bathroom... along with a very ALIVE Blue Jay. I closed the doors, grabbed the cats and shoved them out. The poor bird flew from the window to the mirror, and ended up in the sink. I calmly put a towel over him and gently picked him up and carried him out the deck. I removed the towel and inspected him. He was unscathed and promptly flew off, squawking loudly as he did so. All in a day's work!

I went to the bank and then went to pick up the chairs. Two are remaining behind to have the color evened up on the top of the backs. They look really nice. I don't think the man was very impressed that I wanted him to even up the color on two, but he seemed very agreeable when I paid him with dead presidents and declined the receipt... . I told him they looked really great and I promised not to be a PITA. ;) (Time to get busy on the slip seats, methinks!)

I have to go down and clean brushes pretty soon. I don't feel like it, at all... so maybe I'll just sit on my haunches and "cool it" for a bit. Then I'll do the dishes... THEN I'll clean the brushes.

Great pictures, 'bug.

Hope all is well with water in the affected homes... no fun. We have a really nice hot water tank, super insulated, and the water is heated by the boiler. A nice, warm shower is truly a luxury.

o

Brad finally got the new water heater fired up around 2. The problem was he ended up replacing quite a bit of the old pipe running to and from it. That's the way it is with old houses, the projects always end up being much more complicated than they start out to be. The water should be nice and hot about now and I'm going to go take a nice HOT bath in just a few minutes. I also was able to complete the mission of picking up the prescription and getting it into the mail this morning.

T, lol at your Idyll title. Good one. That doesn't look like a very fun plumbing job that your dh has going on either. I showed Brad the picture. I figured misery loves company, lol.

I'll be back later with more comments. Gotta go test out that hot water...Eden

o
RE: Idyll 237---It is raining inside.....here, too.

.... and back out now that the sump pump is fixed. LOL because what else can I do???????

Earlier today I'm sitting and because I have working water, I'm going to post and invite you all over for a hot cup of tea.

POOF. BOOM. squish, Squish, SQUISH PSSZZZZZZZZZZZZZ in the basement. GURGLE. SQUISH. GURGLE. Down the stairs.

Steam coming out of the sump pump hole. Presence of mind to NOT pull the plug. Shut off the circuit breaker, call DH's plumber pal. He walks me through taking it apart and bringing it to the supplier for warranteed replacement. In the meantime, water has been pumping out for five weeks straight (we sit on dense clay) and leaving it there unfixed is not an option. He comes out with the promise of waiting warm Bananna Nut Bread. Water is 1" deep on floor and heading to DS's room door. Plumber arrives and installs pump. It's been going for almost hours straight.

Is this group contagious?????

So now have very clean basement floor and biggest baddest sump pump.

Also have a huge appreciation for DH's who do this stuff on their own. Rich's response to things like this??? "Call a contractor." LOL

Martie.

o

Fri, Nov 18, 05 at 17:40

Spellchecking myself, "stryrophone"? Twice! Must have been the lack of blood...

Well, $150.00 later and me and the kids have boots again. Glenn's somehow wound up in the closet so he's okay. Marian, I had that bag of boots set aside with the rubbermaid bin of winter coats and mitts and hats, in the laundry room. Four bags by the front door in the foyer to go on the porch for pick-up from the diabetes society. Asked Glenn to put out the garbage bags for me for pick-up, guess he thought he was being helpful grabbing ALL of them, including the boots in the laundry room. I should of known better, sending a man to do a woman's job. Or at least should have checked.

Martie, I did years and years worth of paperwork in my purge on this house in September. I had hydro bills from the LAST home we owned and we've been here since April 1998, instruction manuals from 3 VCR's ago, benefit plans from 2 insurance companies ago, tons of stuff that was my father's, and he's been gone seven years--you get the drift. It was VERY satisfying recycling tons, filing the rest in the 2 drawer metal file cabinet in new red folders with boldly markered labels and BURNING the unrecyclables in the firepit. Cathartic and freeing to be rid of all that STUFF. And to have my bread drawer back. ;)

Ah, the joys of plumbing...Remember the mold problem of a couple of years ago? The shower in the master ensuite wasn't graded properly but puddled at the edges of the shower stall, and then the drain also leaked, through the ceiling into the front foyer, the only access to the shower plumbing. One of our renos we had to do to get this place market ready was to install a shower over the jacuzzi in the master, and to gut, dry and seal the old shower and make it into a linen closet. (This is where Glenn would say "don't say WE" lol!) Can of worms that opened, another job "we" had to do was to replace a large section of drywall in the foyer ceiling and re-stucco it--drywall had totally warped from the water leaking, which we were unaware of until it came through the ceiling. The ONLY access to under the shower where the leak was is through the foyer ceiling, what a pain! Now it is a dry and functional linen closet, and I really like the shower ring we installed, meant to go over an old-fashioned clawfoot tub without shouwer plumbing. Pics will tell the story better (will take them down later):

Patch in front foyer ceiling (which you can see in the pic from this angle and with the flash but isn't really noticeable in person with the lighting in there). That little square at left is the access to the jacuzzi plumbing, NOT a lot of room to work with!

Especially standing on a ladder or careening over the stairwell:

Now:

Glad Glenn is a handyman, even if he is a little zealous with getting rid of stuff sometimes... Enjoy your bath Eden! Think that's on the agenda for me tonight too. Since I'll have to clean it anyway for our 11th weekend of open houses. Will be a cheap night for wine, since I hardly have any blood left. In house news, I have an agent coming from Oakville, an hour away, with her kids to see the house on Sunday. Don't know if for herself or to preview for a buyer, but maybe she's the one?

T

PS. Just refreshed, Martie you've GOT to be kidding????

PPS. Nice birdies Marie!

PPPS. If we ARE contagious will someone else please sell their house? Quick?

o

So, OK you guys, are you a jinx???? When cleaning the downstairs bathroom for company tonight I noticed water on the bathroom floor. I thought it was probably just my toilet diving cat that splashed it out of the bowl. Cleaned it up then noticed MORE water on the floor and then upon closer inspection noticed the oak cabinet has water damage on that side. Grrrrrr... Looks like the seal in the tank is leaking. Give me a break. Warning to all Idyllers go and check all your plumbing. Right now!

Eden, that hot bath is going to be wonderful! Enjoy!

Bug, lovely Dee pics. I just love those guys. They are so darned cute. ARe you working with a telephoto lens now or is that the lens built into your new camera? Beautiful photos.

Martie, Not you too? Jeesh!

I think HOney, Sue and Monique are all exempt because of their earlier basement water woes.

I baked another batch of cookies today and used dried cranberries this time. Yum!

OK company should be here soon. I guess I'd better go and change and put a bit of bling on.

Have a terrific Friday evening everyone.
Deanne

o

I'm sorry that so many of you have water problems, and I'm trying desperately not to catch the curse. Worst here was a puddle on kitchen floor when I got up this morning and I think Katie may have a urinary infection. She has needed to go out much more frequently during the last week. Although I don't want my hot water tank to die I did go down cellar to see if it was leaking :) No water, but found another dead mouse, so AudreyH is acheiving her objective during her excursions down there.

Beautiful Chicka-dee-dee-dee pictures GB. What a mess in your basement that must have been. That's one reason my cats are not allowed there - Audrey is on special duty so has exception.

Bug, I laughed at your 'almost' gain. I had a close encounter in after hours trading last night, put a limit order in but didn't quite make it either. It just seems like a good time to move some stuff and make money.

Taryn, you did very well to boot up the family for $150 Canadian! I ordered new raincoats and winter coats for dogs today (they need to be coordinated) and embarassed to say that spent more than that. They are much more well dressed than I am, but getting them dressed to go out in the cold is like bundling up toddlers. I sent them out in pjs this morning and they were all shaking from the cold within minutes. So I'll have to start dressing them for that too. Delicate little things that they are. I soooo miss summer! Everything is easier then. :-(

Marian what do you have blooming indoors now? I know you have quite a collection of houseplants.

Hope you are well as can be - stay dry, or wet, depending on what kind of water issues you're having :) Cynthia

o

Cynthia, I'm impressed. NO way would I be willing to put clothes on dogs (which I hate, BTW) to get the basics done. Seems to me, I ought to be looking at the geriatric greyhound crowd for future employment...

I'm sorry, the dead mouse PALES in comparison with Spencer's LIVE Blue Jay... . Not that I'm bragging, or anything... . But, PLEASE! ;)

I know what you mean about contractors and their "arrival". Our chimney developed a nasty leak some years ago... but only when there was a driving sou'wester. They're pretty rare for us. We called the mason in early spring... we called in late summer... called again in late fall. He FINALLY came, told us what to do for "stop gap", and he'll be here come spring. Whenever I make an appointment with ANYONE I specify I want to be the FIRST app't. of the day. I'm willing to wait for the next availability of the time slot. I'm UNWILLING to have my time wasted by people who are unable to maintain a schedule.

o

"Seems to me, I ought to be looking at the geriatric greyhound crowd for future employment... "

LOL, Chelone. I can refer you to the mini schnauzer crowd too-another group committed to the latest in dog fashion...lol.

Sorry folks, I didn't bring a camera with me on the trip to NYC. In a couple of weeks I have a potential seminar to attend in the city. If I decide to do that I'll bring the camera.

Jeez, I can't believe how many of you are having water problems. Hopefully Deanne is right and I've earned an exemption with the basement water we had about a month ago. The carpet down there has already been replaced and truth be told the new stuff we picked out looks much better down there. Now let's just hope we don't get another 15" of rain in a week anytime soon...

Taryn, you remember all the grief we had last year when were selling our two family house in Hartford? It finally did close (at least one of the five "pre qualified" buyers actually qualified) and everything worked out fine. It only takes one.

OK, I've been writing all sorts of things and then back spacing over it so I guess that means I don't have much else to say. Enjoy the promise of your weekend and try to stay dry.

Sue

o

Cynthia , thanks for asking ;-)
I have the following blooming indoors : African violets ( a bunch ) , Impatiens , Pentas , Plectranthus (almost done ) , Pelargoniums , Chinese Hibiscus , Thanksgiving cactus ( just starting ) , and the Dendrobium .
Later on there will be : Xmas cactus , Easter cactus , Billbergias , a Bouganvilla , a Bryophyllum , Episcias , Kalanchoes , a Stapelia relative ( I can't recall it's name ), and (I hope ) several Amaryllis . Even later on will be the Walking cactus ,( Neomarica ), the Phals. and several spiny cacti .
Others bloom , but their flowers are insignificant .
There is never a time when I don't have something in bloom .
I sure need a greenhouse , don't I ? LOL

I checked our plumbing , and didn't find any leaks , except a faucet or three ! All these disasters make me think I need to shut the water off to the toilets and sinks when not in use ! We don't have an upstairs , or a basement , so no worries there .

Marie , I love your chickadee pics . We are blessed with them year around .

Taryn , I am so glad your DH's boots 'surfaced', but what a drag to have to buy new ones for all the rest of you . So , it was he that was the guilty party . It sounds so 'normal' ! lol . That is why I usually do things myself , without asking for help .

Speaking of men . Have we scared our male posters off ? I espacially miss Blackie's fun posts . ( Maybe it's because he called me 'mom' ??)

There are so very many of our group who haven't been heard from . Does anyone know about Honey ? I hope she is okay .

Marian

o

Probably those with dial-up won't be able to download and see this, but it is funny.

Here is a link that might be useful: Going home on Friday

o

Hah! Penguins! I like the going in on Monday part too :-)

Only one old grey Chelone, the other two are young'ns. No fat, no fur, they gotta have fleece.

Marian, I love the smell of pelargonium leaves. Usually don't have any outdoors, should get some just for wintering indoors. So cheery! And plectranthus in bloom :) The Mona Lavender is gorgeous. Forgot to rescue those from the cold too. But may have a couple in gh already and do cuttings later. Will have to check.

Another cold one tonight!

o

Fri, Nov 18, 05 at 21:47

Well Sue, the shower/ceiling leak 18 months ago (yes DH is a wee bit of a procrastinator) didn't earn me an exemption from the flash flood which put 2 feet of water in our basement in July and fried our new furnace. And that didn't earn me a reprieve from the hot water tank leaking right after that mess got cleaned up. So keep on checking your pipes!

Cynthia, yes got the boys Kodiaks for $30.00 a pair, exellent quality, locally made boots, and also some Wanderlusts for me for $44.00, all guaranteed to widthstand a cold Canadian winter and remain waterproof. BUT, there are 3 other pairs of my boots I haven't replaced, Glenn's construction steeltoes are what are in the closet, not his $170.00 winter boots, and I'm remembering many pairs of shoes that were also in that bag now. It was basically the "clean the clutter out of the front hall closet bag" so that it wouldn't be it's usual 18" high/can't find the other half of anything mess for those seeing our home and checking every drawer and closet. So the $150 will get 4 of us through the cold, but doesn't come close to replacing what's lost.

Funny thing though, I told my Ebay psychic Auntie Anita about the incident and she wrote this back:

"snow here too-not to worry about the boots- superstition in Byzantium says when you give away shoes to persons less fortunate than you you lengthen your own life and that of the shoe bearers and if you give away a whole lot your wish comes true - That is why Greeks have a special street all dedicated to shoes in Athens. Very tied in to the universe who knew???" Well certainly not I, so maybe I'll get an offer booted back from the cosmos soon, lol! And live to need many more pairs over the years...

Did laundry and ran the dishwasher so a bath not happening now. Got some closure on why our deal fell through last week though. Had to know, and nothing at this point to lose, except the new house, so I phoned her at home.

Me: "Hi Mandy, it's Taryn. Please give me a moment--we just need to know WHY? What happened? Did you find another house? You seemed to really LOVE our house..."

Mandy: "You have a GREAT house, and I DO love it. But John and I broke up, that's what happened."

Me: "Oh Mandy I'm so sorry! Is their any chance of a reconciliation? With you two I mean, not about the house."

Mandy: "Not very likely, I don't think so. But that's why it didn't work out. You have a GREAT house [sic--again]"

Me: "Well really sorry to hear that Mandy, and hope somehow you can work it out. Thank you for explaining, which will give us some closure now. I won't call you again, but I wish you the best."

SO, I need y'all to send KISS AND MAKE UP VIBES to Mandy and John in Kitchener! We need a good LOVE story here!

and a house sale

Taryn

o

LOL, T. Penguins and polar bears. I feel like the polar bear tonight even though it's Friday. It's been a long week. Megan has to go back for jury duty again on Monday. I'll be glad when this is over. Bella has a 9 mo check up at the pediatrician Monday morning so now I'll be taking her. I don't want to see her get her shots though...Oh, something good, Bella won 2nd place in a local baby photo contest that Meg entered her in.

Taryn, that's awful, you losing those shoes and boots. Good that you know the reason the people backed out on buying your house.

Marian, wow you have a lot of plants to look forward to seeing bloom over winter. You have some really interesting ones. I usually enjoy tending to the plants I bring indoors over the winter but they are suffering already this year. I just don't have much time to devote to them.

Cynthia, I love the idea of your kids tucked in their jammies at night and all bundled up to stay cozy when they go out.

Marie, great chickadee pictures. Like everyone else, one of my favorite birds too. Oh and those bad little kittens! Upsetting your coleus like that. My cats aren't allowed in the basement either.

Woody, curry day sounds like it will be fun!

Martie, sounds like you handled your water crisis well. It is weird how many of us are having water problems. I hope when something really good happens to one of us it's just as contageous.

My bath was very nice. Amazing how you appreciate something you usually take for granted after you've had to do without it. I'm tired and ready for bed. I'm going to get up early tomorrow and go over to the Farmer's Market if the weather's not too bad. So Good Night to all, Eden

o

If I'm not mistaken last night was the coldest of the autumn, so far. The geraniums are still swaddled in their windowboxes, but Jack Frost may've snuck under to give them a kiss..

Our local NPR station wakes us up with bird calls on Saturday and Sunday mornings (6AM); Larry is in his house and he's chirping along with them, too.

I did not clean the brushes last night. I completely forgot, so caught up in the helpmeet's return was I. And the delicious salmon, rice/bean pilaf, and braised cabbage dinner that followed. I adore braised cabbage. So, I'll be cleaning brushes this morning in advance of topcoating the wall. I can't wait to see the finished product in the morning light.

Also on the list for the day's activities is the purchase of a collar to cover the rough opening of the stove's flue, and more hunting for the elusive cake stand (maybe a knife, too, if I'm feeling expansive).

I hope everyone is drying out and houses are returning to a dry state this morning.

o

It's raining inside here too, unfortunately teardrops. Sassy, one of our cats is at our Vets office with possible liver or heart failure. We took her in at 3:00 and just came home.
We are waiting to hear from him around 11:00. Please say a little kitty prayer for her. We love her dearly, even if she is old and cranky!!!

Jerri

o

I have a painful left hand and wrist this morning so this will be brief. Just wanted to let Jerri know that I'm thinking about Sassy and hope she's ok. How old is she Jerri?

Good morning and good day to all!

o

It isn't raining inside or outside but wish it would outside. The forum talk is among our Friday evening conversations at home. Had an email from PictureTrail informing us that our 'shadows over the valley' has had 656 views during the past 7 days. Time to renew the account. Due December 1st, our 54th anniversary. We are very fullfilled and content. Have a busy week ahead. Wish everyone good times. EP

o

Oh Jerri, I hope things are OK. :(

Wall and chimney are topcoated, the brush is cleaned.
Kitchen is cleaned.
Third load of laundry is just starting, the other two are hanging and drying.

I could begin the clean up of the disaster area our living area has become, I could go in search of the cake stand, I could rip down a couple of slip seats, or I could remove the velcro from the top of the living room shades and get ready to add on to them... .

Or take Biggy-boy for a walk.

Or...

o

Good morning! Bright and sunny and 30degF here. Top few inches of earth are frozen. Lemon verbena still throwing some new leaves.

Sassy looks like she's lived a long and good life -- here's hoping she has one more in her!

Taryn: Be careful what you wish for :-) If the couple "broke up" chances are that house-buying won't do anything to mend the relationship. I'd hate to see them reconcile and then decide at the closing that one or the other really doesn't want to do this. I've added "Make Taryn's house selling simpler" to my meditation thoughts.

Marian: WOW!!! I have green envy for anyone who has something constantly blooming indoors. I read your list and was shamed into looking most everything up. I got really excited this year because I think I might be able to get some food-store variety Amaryllis to rebloom. LOL I'm interested to know how you distinguish Easter from Thanksgiving from Christmas cactus ???? Since the only time anything remotely like that bloomed in my house was in July, does that mean that there's an Independence Day cactus, too??? I'm not being facetious, I'm just very uneducated when it comes to houseplants.

Cynthia: Perhaps you were a bit too quick with the mouse trying to flip last night??? LOL A day trader friend of mine has a standing bi-weekly appt with a Physical Therapist. AND "Mona" lavender is new to me!! Do you have a pic?

LOL the Penguins, T. Where do you find this stuff???

Chelone: One of my biggest headaches is no-show contractors. Not because I need to deal with them personally, but because the people they are supposed to go see end up calling Rich when their original contractors don't show up, or leave something undone. We feel awful for these folks but usually can't do much to help them except to say over and over again: Be Sure They Are Licensed and Insured and then if they breach ANY kind of agreement you have recourse. Unlicensed, fooogettawboutittt. If they don't show up for the initial appt, they won't show up for anything else. So Sorry this happened to you.

Eden: Glad you had a wonderful bath. I agree that we take a lot for granted 'till it isn't there ..... Good luck with Bella's shots appt. I always made Kyle's (DS) dad take him for those ....

Everyone Else (esp. Sue): Always like to see a bunch of posts I haven't read yet, newsy or not :-)

AND: Offer of bittersweet expires tomorrow. One more freezing night and they'll be too brittle to ship.

Best to All -- Off to put away remaining terra cotta and then go Bonsai moss shopping with Ky. Do I really have to put each moss filiment on with tweezers???? I may not be back here till next week!! LOL

Martie

o

Martie , I an giving a link to my PT album that will answer your question :

Here is a link that might be useful: link for jungle cactus album

o

Afternoon all,

It was 24 degrees this morning when I got up and the temps are still below freezing. I MUST get all the tender stuff out of the garage and down into the basement today. Im going to have to clean out Dougs shop area to make room because instead of Doug cleaning out the area he will be fixing the downstairs toilet. Always something. It is really strange how so many are having water woes right now.

Jerri, so sorry! Kitty prayers are on the way.

Eden glad to hear your bath was enjoyed. So true about taking things for granted. I can remember one time when my washing machine was on the fritz and I had to go to a Laundromat for a couple weeks. Ill tell you after that I didnt mind going down to the basement to do the laundry. And I need to remember that every time I dont feel like it now because the laundry is even more conveniently located outside the bedroom. (Makes me a bit worried to do laundry right now with the water jinx going on)~~ So sorry Megan has to go back for jury duty on Monday. Youd think they would excuse her permanently because of her situation. ~~ How fun about the baby photo contest.

T, ROTFLOL! Love the penguins and polar bear.

Marian, wow, sounds like youve got a lot of things blooming right now. That is a wonderful collection of house plants. Ill pot up one of those mini phals for you for sending in the spring. You will love the little guy.~~ Glad to hear your plumbing is OK.

Taryn, just be glad the breakup happened before you were in the middle of closing on the house.~~ I hope you have as much positive karma flowing your way as the boots you gave away. If that is supposed to bring good luck you are due to win a lottery.

Martie, thanks for the offer of the bittersweet but weve got plenty in a wetlands area behind us.

So Chelone, was it the walk?

Went to the gym and did a good solid hour of ab, lower body strength training exercises then 30 minutes of cardio. I feel like Im goofing off! I had to skip the abductor exercises this AM because Im still sore from Thursday. Doug had an hour and a half session with Steve and is happy with the results of the session. Steve has Doug doing more weight bearing cardio and stretching. This is a very good thing. Monday I get to go in and have another body fat % check. Its been seven weeks or so since I had it done and I want to see if any progress has been made. The daily abdominal work has really paid off in that I can SEE the difference in my waistline. Ive lost about an inch off my waist in the last month.

OK time to head out to HD to run and get toilet parts.

Have a great afternoon all.
Deanne

o

No need for the gym here today...we had an emergency family run this morning... Sweet little Holly made her escape. After about an hour and many,many heart-stopping moments, we finally caught her. Since we live on a very busy street, the neighbourhood was out with us... phew, glad that is over. Some man (who shall remain nameless) didn't get the door closed fast enough and out she went!

Jerri? Any news?

Glad that water problems seem to be ebbing....

I love penguins! Thanks for the cute stuff.

On our way out for dinner tonight..woohoo. I don't have to cook.

Later

o

Jerri, I hope your kitty is doing okay.

Janie, glad you found Holly and she is alright.

EP, glad to 'see' you today.

It is sunny but not warm. Barometer says rain is on its way soon. I spent hours yesterday mowing & raking the backyard. It looks so much better but I still didn't get all of the grass clippings picked up which makes me cranky. I tried so hard to get them all picked up so that the dogs wouldn't drag it into the house. :o( I've got little clumps of green all over the floors whenever they go outside. My tail is not wagging! :o/

Hope everyone's water woes are being taken care of.

T.

o

Janie, I sympathize. It's really scary when it happens... worries about car/dog collisions, etc.. It happened a few times with Rex, too. (Pissed off a neighbor, too...YIKES, but she's a jerk according to all the OTHER neighbors, who like Rex).

Enroll yourself in an obedience class ASAP. It works! Rex is so dialled in to being with us now that we don't worry about him running off when we're out in the yard. His heritage is to "lock on" to things and pursue them. But he's learning the boundries of "his" territory, and he knows, "NO!", "Wait!", and "Leave it!". We learned all those commands and when/how to use them to get the response we wanted in "Basic Obedience" at a local trainer's school. It was very helpful to be in a class with other people who had "out of control dogs", too. Everyone was on the same page and when someone's dog flipped out and had a melt down everyone else understood and was patient. I am not nearly so confident about letting him off the leash on the golf course, but he's at a point in his training where we have to "push the envelope" a bit. GULP. Please do the basic obedience thing in a class. You will be absolutely amazed at the results if you do the work (it takes 15-20 minutes a day, no kidding!). Really!

Any word on Sassy?

What's with the wrist, Cynthia? too much "gahdenin'" or have you been mining the cat box(es) too mightily?

Where IS everyone? I feel like a total cyberloser... trawlin' for good things to read... olly-in-come-free!

o

T, how about if you teach those cute little messy dogs the command 'wipe.' Do they do that chicken scratch dance after they poop? Mine do. So if you say 'Wipe' when they're doing it, and give treat, they eventually transfer to your door mat and you can say 'wipe' before you let them in? It would be fun :-) I taught Katie to say 'thank you' when I say 'what to you say?" Really! But it sounds like 'roo roo' because it's her happy roo, and she knows she's getting something good. Hey, it's entertaining for me ...:-)

Chelone, I'm probably not doing enough gardening. Actually, I've had a ganglioma (self diagnosed) on that wrist for maybe 6 months. They are not supposed to hurt, so maybe too big and pressing a nerve. Dunno. Time for a physical anyway, but may do emg appt on Monday if it doesn't feel better soon. I'm feeling wimpy and tired of my hand hurting too.

Chocolate chips cookies in the oven.

No raking here, but I thought I had most of the pots sorted out, then remembered backyard beyond patio gate had not been addressed. I am just a little envious of those of you who can work in the yard during the week! I can tell you it hurts having only the week-ends to deal with so much that needs to be done inside AND out. Does that make anyone feel any better? Hah. Thanksgiving is usually my last clean-up week-end but this year it's going to be the major clean-up week-end. I need to make room near cellar entrance tonight so that I can drag in the biggest pots that won't fit in gh, but would crack or split if left out in the elements full of dirt. They are enormous, and filled with dirt weight over 100 pounds.

Janie, glad that Holly's tour had a happy ending. Until she's trained, do you think a rule that she must be gated in another room before any unfenced door is opened would work?

Marian, I remember when you did that nice thread explaining the difference between the zygo things. But of course I've forgotten now. Will have to check your link! Thanks!

First batch of cookies done..Later, Cynthia

o

Hey Everyone, Beautiful day here today and much was accomplished. We got wreaths and the evergreen roping to decorate the front of the house at the farmers market. We also stopped by The Birdfeeder store and picked up a new heated birdbath and a Christmas flag for the holiday flagpole. Stopped for lunch and then came home and finished cleaning up the one section of the garden I didn't get to last week. By then it was time for Bella to get here and I've been playing with her since.

Jerri, I hope Sassy's ok. Please let us know how she's doing.

Chelone, I bet you ended up taking that walk with Rex.

Jane, soooo glad you found Holly. Our dog before Bud, her name was Alice, used to bolt out the door when the kids would open it and I spent lots of time looking for her. She even got taken to jail once aka "the pound" and I had to go bail her out. Got a nice vet bill out of that episode too as she ended up with kennel cough. Bud never goes out of the yard, the difference between a lab, her, and a golden, him.

Deanne, that's great that you've lost an inch off your waist. I would be thrilled to do that.

I think I have a Halloween cactus, lol because that's when it blooms every year as soon as I bring it indoors for the winter.

Cynthia, you reminded me that I forgot about my mona lavender and left it outside darn it. Hope your wrist's ok. Chocolate chip cookies sound so good. We bought fudge while we were out today. Chocolate and peanutbutter both.

It's wine night...where are ya Sue??? Join me in a glass anyone? Talk to you all tomorrow.

Eden

o

It's not good news with Sassy. She has feline hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (heart disease) and impaired liver function. This is causing an accumulation of fluid in her abdomen. She was very weak and dehydrated. She is still at the Vet's on an IV to get her over this hump. Our doctor said we should see how she is on Monday since she seems to be feeling a little better now. Both of these conditions are fairly common in older cats I guess. I just don't want her to be in unnecessary pain. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. We all need them right now. There is never a good time for this to happen but good grief, I can't think of a much WORSE time than right now.

Thank you guys so much. Only other Idyll's can understand how much your support can mean!

o

No one commented on my daffodil dilemma , but I am going to persue it anyway !!! LOL
The bulbs came from Tim's lady friend via UPS , and I have planted them out front where I can see them from the house when they bloom . There were 10 very large bulbs , from Brent and Becky's Bulbs ... 'Chinese Coral' . I had told her I wanted more pink varieties , and she remembered .

Cynthia , I think ganglias are frequently 'burst' by pressure . I have known of people hitting them sharply to burst them . I know ... it sounds awful ! According to my Medical book , surgery is seldom necessary . I hope yours will be easily taken care of .
Mmmmmm , chocolate chips sound yummy !
I cooked a blackberry cobbler in the roaster , but it didn't get cooked as well as I like it . Next time I will use a higher setting , or less fruit . It is one of those easy kind , that you pour the batter in a pan that you melted the butter( margarine) in , then put the fruit on top . The batter should rise to the top , but I had put too many blackberries over it . No big deal ...... I've got 'tons' more berries in the freezer .
I must try a pie in there , to see if it will turn out okay .
The cake that I baked the other day was fine .

Marian

o

Jerri, If they're treating her that means that there is some potential for her to recover. HC isn't curable, but it's treatable and she could have many good years left, so maybe you will have more time with her. This is another disease where you have to keep the stress down for the animal. Hugs to you and Sassy.

I just popped back in to share a funny Turkey Day card. Hope you all enjoy it. Turn up those speakers!

Here is a link that might be useful: Turkey Day Fun

o
RE: Idyll 237---It isn't raining inside anymore.....

Jerri, I'm so sorry about Sassy. It's good she's feeling a little better though. Thanks for the update and keep us posted. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you and Sassy and hoping for good news on Monday.

Marian, just remember that no matter how many daffys you have these are special ones and you will think of Tim and his friend whenever they're in bloom. I'm telling you something you already know though aren't I, since you planted them in such a prominent spot? Pink will be so pretty. I don't have any pink ones.

Eden

o

Marian: Thanks for the pics! Like Eden, I have an off-holiday cactus but also have some I recognize in your pictures. Foliage shape. Got it!! (I think :-)

Bonsai has moss, now. 'Nuf said.

Glad that all animals are either on the mend or back at home. I grew up in a house of beagles and collies and we had "Dutch" doors, the kind that open on the top and bottom, so that all furry friends could be held at bay before the bottom opened. There's nothing more frightening than a dog running toward a road. I've never heard of the "Wait!" command but da*n, it makes sense!!

Chelone: Any updates on the wall???

Deanne: Do you join me in cursing the person who brought bittersweet to New England???? We have a tangle of it along the entire edge of our woods, and it is DS's job next spring to hack it. Also need to take down at least one tree because it's too strangled to salvage. It's fun to look at stuff, but a bane anywhere it's the least bit damp.

Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer and will be the last day I have to myself for a loooooooong time. Manicure??? More Bulbs???? Maybe not in that order :-))

Martie

Martie

o

Sat, Nov 19, 05 at 19:30

Jerri I'm so sorry, though it sounds like she is rallying. Good vibes going out to you and Sassy...What else is going on with you? It weighs less when you share it you know...

Eden it was gorgeous here too, and Glenn got all my garden paraphernalia into the shed, and also set up the barbeque in there by the open door so we can continue to use it despite the weather. Until we move of course. :) He also got the leaves bagged and to the dump to make compost out of. All the ones left at curbside get blown around back onto the lawn as the city always leaves it too late. Wish they'd just post a date so everyone could plan their yard cleanup. Still have to cut back plume poppy, joe pye and the tall annuals around the deck, weather permitting.

I watered all my pots of plants I'm taking (thinking positive here) in the greenhouse, and started organizing my empty pots and boxing them up. I can't believe the new growth on the perennials since last week! With very few exceptions they all look great. I watered them in with 10-52-10, and while the tender new growth isn't what I want to encourage now, good root growth is. I sent a guy in England some Coreopsis 'Early Sunrise' seedlings once, after soaking them in diluted 10-52-10 and he and I were both amazed that the roots grew through the papertowel, in the dark, in a week! Great stuff. If we don't get the house soon I'll put the pots in my neighbor's veggie garden, dumping soil around and inbetween them to make a raised bed and get them in the spring. Hope to be doing this at the new place though.

Thanks Martie and Deanne, I didn't think of it that way! Guess it wasn't meant to be with them. Martie thanks for adding me to your daily meditation too! With all the prayers, good vibes, boots, good tarots, horoscopes etcetera coming my way something good has just GOT to happen soon!

Janie glad you got Holly back safely. Boomer was a runner too, and got out more than once. How are you feeling these days? Glenn had walking pneumonia and it is no fun and takes a long time to get over. He was told he'd always be susceptible to it as well, though has never had a recurrance. 1-0 for the Toronto Maple Leafs. Make that 2-0, woohoo!

Chelone, can you post pics of your work?

EP we have a large gaggle of lurkers here. My snowy deck picture from YESTERDAY had 475 hits when I removed it today!

Marian the Chinese Coral daffs sound lovely, and Eden's right, you'll think of your son and his lady friend every time they bloom. I had Rosy Cloud daffs at my old home and loved them, see link below. They started yellow and turned pink. Will have to get some for the new place. (thinking positive again).

We all had hot dogs at 3:00pm, so having a late supper, roast beef with Yorkshire pudding. I meant to double the recipe for the Yorkshires and make 24 individual ones in muffin cups, but accidentally quadrupled the flour so had to quadruple everything else too. Must have been a Freudian slip, as I guess now I'll have to have some, white flour or not. Yum!

Hi to everyone. Joining Eden in a glass of wine now...

L8R,

Taryn

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosy Cloud Daffodils

o

Eden I'm enjoying a nice Chardonnay as we speak. In a few minutes I'll start dinner-shrimp stir fry tonight-then I'm off the clock for the day. This morning I went shopping with Tom for a new leather jacket and came home empty handed. Then I worked on garden cleanup for a few hours(egads it seems like it will never end this year). Then I went for my walk. After that it was clean our bedroom and upstairs bath in advance of company for Thanksgiving. Better to start the cleaning of less visible areas now. I'm with Cynthia, you guys who can tackle this stuff during the week and daylight hours should consider yourselves lucky. Just the garden chores alone are a challenge when you only have a few daylight hours on the weekends(when the weather cooperates). I still have grocery shopping, decorating, cooking and more cleaning to do and my rescue group scheduled an annual meeting tomorrow at 1 PM in Webster, MA (over an hour away). Maybe I'll sneak out of work early one day this week.

Jerri, sorry the kitty isn't well. I'm not familiar with cat ailments but if Cynthia says it's treatable then that's encouraging enough for me.

Jane, glad you were able to apprehend Holly. Obedience training is a good idea. My dogs are not bolters when it comes to the doors of our house but the breed in general has a reputation for dashing after things. Terriers are prey driven and I've seen titled obedience dogs completely ignore commands when faced with a squirrel or cat to chase. In the rescue group I work with, we won't adopt to anyone who indicates they would consider letting a dog off leash.

Marian, I was thinking about Honey today too. I missed your daffodil dilemna but how thoughtful of Tim's new friend to remember you wanted pink daffodils. She sounds like she could be a "keeper".

OK, better get started on dinner. Enjoy wine night.

Sue

o

Good to see you Jerri-hope Sassy is sassier in no time; )

Eden-good luck with Bella's checkup-I just feel so bad for Megan and the jury duty situation she's mixed up in.

Do those of you with water troubles want this bag of boots I have?...All's dry here although now that I tried to be cute,I'm being wary of the pipes,water heaters and showers!

Eden? Sue? Taryn? Cheers!-it's zinfandel tonight(not my fav but it will do). I only have sharp cheddar & crackers to offer but I'll share...oh but I do have Sue's favorite...string cheese!: ) We need Mary's smiling face too!and Honey and Drema and V and Eileen and....

~Babs

o

Sat, Nov 19, 05 at 20:44

Hiya Babs! Missing you and others too...

We should have an Idyll party one Saturday nite! Like a 'bring your own wine chat'!

Suppertime now (finally!--we're all starving!)

Oohlala!

Taryn

P.S. Leafs Rule! 5-1 against Atlanta!

o

They look delicious!!Oh and the yorkshire pudding too; )lol

~B

o

I finished a few tasks outdoors today, but with some snow still on the ground and windy, even though the temp wasnt too bad, it really takes the fun out of it. I spent a good part of the day moving furniture back into place in the family room. I also hung some family pictures on the wall. Between us we have 6 kids and 9 grandkids. I tell you I have so many family pictures that need to be displayed. I hate to have every wall and surface be just pictures. I made pea soup and we had that for supper. We may have overnight company this weekend and the upstairs is a disaster. Thanksgiving dinner for Ricks kids is Sunday noon with 17 of us.
Last night we went shopping I got some nice tablecloths at Kohls for 55% off. They are a nice fall pattern, but dont scream "Thanksgiving" These will be for our 2 tables for Thanksgiving dinner. It is hard to find the 120" long ones. I also got some nice table runners also 55% off. They had lots of stuff on sale. I even got a new purse, a sweater and jeans. Rick found even more than I did. We got home at 2:00 a.m., I dont remember the last time I have stayed up that late. Kohls stays open until midnight and we went to Walmart after that and then drove home.

No plumbing woes, but the shower door broke on the upstairs bathroom.

Marian, how interesting that you are doing so much baking in your roaster.

Cynthia, the "thank you" is sooo cute.

Deanne, great news on the decrease in the waist size.

Eden, Im not surprised that Bella did so well in the baby contest, shes such a sweetheart.

Janie, glad that the lost is found.

T, cute link. I can identify.

Taryn, how terrible to lose all the boots.

Hi, to everyone else. I really am quite far behind reading.

Michelle

o

Oh that looks soooo good Taryn! (I had a light dinner while DH had leftover curry from the other day.) Saw a lady wearing her Maple Leafs shirt in the store today.

I'm in a slump, I think winter temperatures and gray skies are part of the cause. Already! I spoke to DH about Idyllunion III near Chicago tonight. Something to carry me along for the next eight months! (Gee, some babies take that long to hatch.)

An early morning workman was a no show and then DH needed help on business stuff, and I was REALLY REALLY frustrated because I've not been out of the house for days and days because we have no second car. Finally I yanked DH away from the phone and computer and we went out (after the dump trip) to lunch and shared a submarine sandwich (ugh) but it was OUT! Then I grocery shopped while he skated, then we finally went to a nursery where I bought lots of bamboo stakes, tripod style obelisks, rose protectors and a small white cyclamen for the kitchen window. (DH slept in the car of course) Also returned the cat box which split and exchanged it for the same one but which cost $10 more!(different store) DH paid. Got turtle food too. I'm planning on stealing the car tomorrow after DH returns from hockey. No idea where I'll go, but OUT again. Something more exciting than todays events.

Been thinking of Sassy. Also of Woody's Curry day, Chelone's painting and fuzzy friends, all the Thanksgiving preparations, and more. I am jealous of Sue's new routine because my sore back is not allowing me enough comfort to even get up from or into a chair. I need exercise and that along with finishing up the garden caging would vastly improve my outlook.

Would you believe we have the lights set up already so that the rabbit water doesn't freeze? Seems so soon....

Holly, you behave yourself!!! Go to school! Charlotte went at least 3 times to kindergarten. It was fun and she majored in socializing.:-)

'bug

o

Sat, Nov 19, 05 at 23:10

Michelle, sounds like you cleaned up! I'm SOOO glad our Thanksgiving is in October. It seems way too close to Xmas for my liking south of 60...

LOLOLOL Babs! Yes they ARE rather scrumptious now, before they do the "don't shave the facial hair it's bad luck thang"...What's WITH that anyway?

'Bug the other ones were also yummy, though I shouldn't have indulged. White death tasted pretty darned good though.

Gonna see if there are any good movies on now..

Taryn

o

Evening all, I'm tired and ready for bed but wanted to pop in quick and tell Taryn that those puds look fantastic.

Bug it is way too early in the season for you to be starting with cabin fever.

Eden and Michelle, thanks!

Jane, glad to hear you captured Holly before she was hurt.

Marian, I didnt know you did your own hybrids of cactus. That is so neat. How many Cactus do you have?

Sue, here is a pic of the brug cutting with is blossom.

Nitey nite,
Deanne

o

At my request (because I wasn't wearing shoes and didn't like the way she was furiously chowing on something out in the yard) Tom just went out and pulled some dead animal out of Zoe's mouth and tossed it over the back fence-eeeuuuu. Now she's back out there looking for it...lol...unless you're Chelone, you gotta love dogs.

Deanne, only you can display a brug cutting so artfully. All my cuttings are crammed in old glasses and are not looking so good. I need a greenhouse.

String cheese, Babs? I'll be right over. Actually I've been having it daily, either with my whole grain toast for breakfast or in the afternoon with my apple. I'd better stock up for T-day though because the neices and nephews like to snack on it. After they leave I find the wrappers all over the place.

This will be day three of irritated, scratchy throat. Keep your fingers crossed that is doesn't turn into a full blown cold or we'll be eating mac and cheese for Thanksgiving in a dirty house. I rarely get sick so the odds are in my favor.

Have fun on your outing today Marie. It looks like it will be a great weather day here-sunny and in the 50s F. Too bad I won't be able to enjoy most of it. At least the meeting we're having includes lunch. So far November hasn't been so bad but it usually isn't. The two months that I have trouble dealing with are January and February but even they seem to go by fast lately. We made our vacation plans for March already. Utah here we come.

Taryn, I have no idea what's in a yorkshire pudding but it sure looks good. Tom came home from Dunkin Donuts this morning with a donut because it was free. Actually the kid who waited on him told him the coffee was free too...sounds odd but he wasn't going to argue.

Enjoy the day!

Sue

o

Hi everyone

Despite the busy day when a Brit sees a nice batch of Yorkshire puds we have to comment. Deeeelicious Taryn!!

I'm about to brave the crowds and buy the Thanksgiving bird so wish me luck!

Sending thoughts for Sassy, good wishes to all - amazing Brug Deanne! and hope to be back soon as it's a two day week for me.

I'm hoping Cynthia will stop by during the holidays to train both the 4 legged and 2 legged members of our household how to wipe their feet, and maybe how to dispose of their string cheese wrappers when they are done.

Mary

PS - LOVE the singing turkey!!

PPS - Woody, I'm making Panforte today (a dense Italian fruit cake) have you ever made one?

o

Did we not ignore the birthday yesterday of someone who hates dogs???

Here's a poor but action packed photo from the morning zoo activities in honour of said super cool lady.

o

Good morning, everyone! My idea of Holiday tablecloths is to go to the fabric store, look for the 50% off Holiday rounder, and get yards and yards of the least hideous pattern :-) Actually, I've found some pretty cool stuff that way and, with proper placement, one doesn't even need to sew!!! (Sorry, Chelone :)

Being new, didn't realize that Saturday is wine night. Will be better prepped next week and will be sure to have string cheese whenever Sue comes to visit. (music) getting to know you .....

All water problems here are resolved and the sump pump is happily gushing away. DH cracked up when he saw the one I got and then got nervous about the bill. "What bill??? They sold us the wrong one to start with!!!!" LOL

I love Yorkshire pudding but can never get the oven hot enough to make it really Puff. What's you're secret, Taryn?

Michelle and 'bug: Thoughts of hockey are bitter sweet here near Hartford. The city still misses the Whalers after all these years and when Kevin Dineen brought his minor league team to play the Wolfpack you would've thought it was New Years Eve. No kidding, I'm not a die-hard hockey fan but even with all the padding, the view is usually awesome :-)

Deanne: Why is it that some folks get ALL the artful genes?

Off to dig, do a bit of shopping for assigned Thanksgiving food, and then need to talk DS into moving 60# urn to the other side of the house without benefit of motorized cart (DH was a little anxious to get things put away :-(

Martie

o

Those kitties look like trouble GB! It took me a minute to figure out that the black in the front is the back of Charlotte's head! Has she ever got her nose swatted for intruding on kitty games?

Jerri - I hope Sassy recovers and is with you for a while yet.

Mary - I haven't tried Panforte. What's it like - dark or light cake? My new part-time helper had originally went to cooking school to be a pastry chef. For our curry cooking day on Wednesday, she wants to bring the dessert for lunch. I'm not sure what it'll be but I told her to make it something not too rich for us middle-aged, diet and cholesterol conscious folk!

Taryn - I've not made Yorkshire Puddings but we're big fans of Popovers - sort of a tall-giant-sized crusty Yorkshire Pudding. Have you made those?

o

Happy Birthday Janie!! :o) Hope you have a wonderful day!

o

Well no wonder it seemed bright outside this morning, it was 9:30 when the beasties nudged me awake! I haven't been wearing my watch because of the hand wrist thing, so it wasn't on my night table and I thought it was 7AM on a lovely summer morning :-)

Glad you liked the turkey entertainment Mary! I kept listening to it and decided it was too fun not to share. My dogs don't wipe their feet but find if I wait for behaviors to happen and reinforce it can be fun to train them. That's how Katie learned 'upstairs' too. Monty's still working on that one. He's a gentleman and knows I'm the alpha so expects me to go first.

GB, Who had a birthday yesterday? I have Janie down for today and Marian for tomorrow. Need to find some good cards!

Sue, I was thinking the same thing about Deanne's light table photo - looks like pressed glass vase in use instead of old spaghetti sauce jars. I use blue glasses in different shapes and the kitchen windows for cuttings. It's pretty, but that's because it's a public area. I actually do use only perfectly matched 8" plastic pots on my light tables for germination and transplant into fresh matching 4" pots when the time comes. We all have different needs for order and control :-) Sue, you just need a couple of shop lights somewhere!

Taryn, we call Yorkshire Puddings 'Popovers' in the US. Your's and Mary's name for them is much nicer I think. They do look yummy.

I had chocolate chip cookies for breakfast with my coffee this morning. Time for seconds I think!

o

Afternoon all,

Well, Im just in for a bit of lunch then out to do some garden work on this beautiful day.

Cynthia, that turkey card is a crack up!!! For some reason last night the music didnt play. Strange. It was funny without the music just reading the lyrics but when I just watched it again with sound, Im hooting. Thanks for sharing the laughs.

Martie, yep, I agree 100% about bittersweet. Way too invasive. Takes over the planet when it is happy in a wetland. Wisteria does that down south but boy oh boy does it put on a show.

Jerri, thinking of you today. Hope all is well.

Babs, red or white zin?

Michelle, sounds like you really made out great with your shopping trip. I know what you mean about finding long table cloths. My dining room table opens up to 12 feet so I can never find table cloths that fit. I have one old one that came from my Memers that I use for Thanksgiving.

Mary hope you find the perfect bird for Turkey Day. Nice to hear from you. Ive got to get going with my baking and cleaning tomorrow.

Bug, your kitties look like they are having some fun with Charlotte.

OK Ive got to get this posted and get myself in gear and get the fishies out of the pond.

Jane I hope you are having a wonderful day!!!

o

A very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Jane !!! And many more !

o

Oh it is so perfect outdoors today! 62F !

I put down the outdoor dogbeds and an old quilt on patio in the sun and the dogs were in heaven while I mowed leaves in front and started an extension to the front bed. Yes, that bed is just too narrow so I extended with cardboard and then dumped the grass/leaf clippings on it as I mowed. How convenient. Much nicer than that long walk to the compost pile out back. Leaves were thick on the lawn so I'm good to go. No mulch hanging around so that will do it for now. (Did you hear that T? No mulch on top and it will be fine :-)

I want to work in back now chopping gardens and mowing, but dogs just came in with me and are already fast asleep.

Janie I hope you're having a fun day with your Holly girl and the temps are as nice there as they are here.

o

Sun, Nov 20, 05 at 14:56

So, maybe I should have stayed away from the white flour Yorkshire pudding popovers last night. The rash on my face is nearly gone, but I woke up today with my eyes all puffed up. An allergic reaction to something I guess. I look like I went a round or two with Muhummed Ali! The bee-stung look may be hot for lips, but it doesn't do a thing for eyes, trust me on that! I don't have cheekbones anymore! I think what I must have done is rubbed my eyes in the night, and of course my hands were smothered in a very strong prescription cortisone cream for the eczema--one that should be nowhere near the delicate eye area. My body is declaring mutiny methinks!

Shane's buddy Taylor slept over last night and loved the Yorkshires--had never had them. Martie the secret is COLD BATTER, and a 400F oven. My Brit Mummy taught me that one, so I make it ahead and refrigerate for an hour or more. 2 eggs, 1 cup milk, 1 cup flour and 1 tsp salt make a dozen. I heat 1 tsp of olive oil (if not enough fat from the roast) in each muffin cup for a few minutes first, before putting 1/4 cup of batter in each one. This is NOT diet food, lol! 1/2 hour and they come out looking like my pic. Going to use up the batter tonight, then back on the diet wagon tomorrow.

The signs are out, the candles are lit, and I've got 70's music playing quietly in the background on the dish. Paul McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed" just ended. No small effort to get this place shipshape with my three monsters though. As Sue can vouch for, kids find all kinds of inventive places to hide wrappers, whether cheese string or mega Halloween candy. Took 3 inspections for me to declare their rooms "A-okay" and give them back their skateboards.

And filled a vacuum bag to get this place looking how it should. Today I discovered the cause of the four boys' hysterical giggling last night. Brennen has a large stuffed cow hanging from the ceiling over his moon wall lamp in his bedroom. Seemed like a good idea at the time, cow jumped over the moon theme. When I went to vacuum today there were a trillion little tiny pieces of foam (like shredded foam "peanuts") ALL over the room, the lamp, the wall, the bed, of course the carpet. Seems they thought it would be a blast to use MooMoo like a pinata and were attacking him with hockey sticks while it rained confetti everywhere! Of course they blamed Taylor, because he's no longer here. KIDS!!!

And MEN too!!! I'm SOOO glad DH is gone with the kids to his hockey game, and then is facing the Toyota kids Christmas party with them sans moi! 3,000 employees with spouses and kids and--a total zoo and one I'm happy to miss! I'm already a stress mess! And this year it's at a new venue so the insanity is likely to be exponential. ENNYway, I'm glad he's gone because he's in a really snitty mood today. All I did was ask him if he could turn on the bathroom light when he uses the toilet in the middle of the night, since I am the one, despite my raw hands, who cleans it. A reasonable request I believe. I'm anal about the three bathrooms and the kitchen especially for these open houses. I mean think about it. When you're sitting in the dark on the toilet you can be reasonably certain you're in the right place. When you're standing in the pitch black, it's not as likely your aim will be true now is it? Not that I've tried it, but with my qualifications as bathroom cleaner I can say with authority that the answer is NO! So he's all defensive now, about everything! Hope the party drags on for a while...

Well, it is perfect outside here too! Do you think it would look unprofessional to print up a small sign saying, "If no answer please go around to side gate--I may be in the garden."? I don't care if it is, I'm doing it, it's gorgeous out there! And I have to find something blooming for Jane. Happy Birthday Jane! Be back later with a card.
Gonna print my sign up and get outside!

Taryn

o
plus

Sun, Nov 20, 05 at 15:04

I also need an excuse to wear my sunglasses!

o

Happy Birthday Jane

o

Happy Birthday Jane!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Martie

o
RE: Idyll 237---It is raining inside.....1

Yipee! A Birthday!! Have so few pics so far that selection is few and far between, but ALL know that the thought is there!

Gorgeous here, too. Continued putzing and Rich cleaned out the garage and Guess What!!!!! there's room for some of *my* stuff!!!! He even unearthed my favorite shovel that's been missing since July. Steak for him tonight.

EP: If you don't stop back before your anniversary, Happy Anniversary!!!

Am getting nervous about new job start tomorrow. Got a pity pile pot of mixed African Violets for my office windowsill - east facing - so if things get nuts in the office I can close my eyes and enjoy the view. Next year, it'll be a round Herb garden but I digress.

Happy evening, everyone! And Marian, you'll be proud to know that my Thanksgiving cacti are starting to bloom!!! From your pics I now know that their timing is right :-)

Martie

o

Happy birthday! Janie.

It was a lovely day today, at least what I saw of it through the windows. I worked in the living room again today. I put the second coat of gloss on the woodwork, put away the "tools of destruction", consolidated that which is to go out kerbside "come mohnin'", and then read for a little while. We put the brackets up that will support the mantel, moved the stove back into position and hooked up the stovepipe. It looks really nice, and I have some shots of it, but nothing that isn't full of the clutter of paint cans, brushes, vacuum cleaner, "trouble light", etc.. I'll try to get a nicer shot tomorrow and then organize the entire stove adventure for you. (Bet you can't wait).

Cleaning... my next hurdle; maybe the helpmeet will vacuum tomorrow. We used string cheese as incentive for Rex to come and sit in front of us on command. I know what you mean about the wrappers being left all around, that made me smile. I have done NOTHING outdoors; but I can't even let myself dwell on that. Sigh.

Louis XV has just died and Louis Auguste has become Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette has become queen. What a miserable life she lead; she was not particularly well educated, though she was an accomplished musician. She was raised to be compliant by a mother who was a classic "battle axe". She was sent to France and married at age 14, and was expected to be little more than a broodmare. What is really quite surprising was how little privacy she had in the course of her life; the most intimate details of her life were the subject of relentless court gossip; including the unwillingness of Louis to perform his husbandly duties for the first few years of their marriage. It's an interesting read; French court society was vastly different from that in England, and Austria, and Spain. Already there has been mention of the dire circumstances of the citizenry, and it's easy to see the pieces of the Revolution falling into place.

I understand how you feel, 'bug. I looked at the clock at it was only 2PM, but already the sun was quite low in the sky and it was very nearly dark by 4:30. And we have another month to go. I have been melancholy today, anyway, for it was on this day 12 years ago that my friend committed suicide. I will feel better about things once I get the house picked up and things don't look so chaotic.

My desk still looks pretty good, though. :)

o

First things first, Happy Birthday Jane, I hope you were able to celebrate the WHOLE weekend long!

Today was spent rounding up all the things for the exterior Christmas decorating. I still have to venture into the basement for a few things that are packed away in boxes. Other than that not a whole lot was accomplished around here today. Brad and I went out to lunch and then he had to go to work and I did the pet supplies shopping for the week and picked up a few groceries. The weather was great again, in the 50s. I could live with winters in the 40s and 50s no problem. It's when it gets down into the teens and 20s like it did last week that I start disliking winter.

Marie, I hope you got to get out and have a fun day today and that your cabin fever is now cured.

Martie, I'm hoping that your first day of work goes smoothly tomorrow and that you LOVE your new job.

Cynthia, LOL on the Gloria Gaynor Thanksgiving turkey. That was too cute. I'm going to send in on to a few people.

Taryn, hope you got some good bites on the house today. I've never had yorkshire pudding but yours looked yummy.

Jerri, how's Sassy holding up? And how are you?

Sue, hope the sore throat disappears. My mom would tell you to gargle with salt water.

Deanne, loved the blooming brug cutting. Was the bloom there before you took the cutting?

Michelle, good deal on the Thanksgiving tablecloths. I'm doing a wall in my bedroom of family photos if I ever get it finished. This is embarrassing to admit, but one of Meg's friends is a going to art school for photography and she takes awesome pictures of Bella. OK ready for this, I have 8 8x10s and 9 5x7s of Isabella in my livingroom.

Babs, thanks for your kind words about Meg's jury duty. I'm so not looking forward to taking Bella in for those shots tomorrow morning. Hope you can check in more and let us know what's going on with you. How's Chris' mom adjusting and how are things going with the boys?

Woody, oh to have access to a pastry chef. Lucky you!

Hi Mary, when will Ruth and her family be making their move. Will they be with you for the Thanksgiving holiday?

I've been thinking about Honey the last few days too. Hope she's just busy and she checks in soon.

I've probably forgotten something I wanted to comment on but I'm off to throw something together for my dinner.

Eden

o

From today (it was hard finding color):

o

Sun, Nov 20, 05 at 19:04

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JANIE!

G. 'Rozanne' and Aster frikartii 'Monch' all that are still blooming, but Monique beat me to the Monch! Hope you had a great day!

Taryn

o

Taryn, mine is Aster 'Fanny' (the photo looks bluer than the flower actually is) so you could have posted your 'Monch'. Save it for tomorrow's bday girl :o)

o

o

wheee..I love birthdays...oh, wait a minute..I just got older...

Thanks for all the lovely cards and wishes! They really brightened up my day!

gotta go - Desperate Housewives time..

o

Sun, Nov 20, 05 at 21:26

I'm watching too Janie! That GEORGE!!!!

Glad you enjoyed your day!

Taryn

o

o

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JANIE AND MARIAN.

We are going to be busy this coming week so wish all of you a good one. EP

o

I thought those looked like popovers. Cold batter, huh? I'll have to try that. I just bought one of the silicone muffin pans so that might help with removal. Always a problem for me.

The excitement for the night was Jaden making a fuss by the barn she could get in the door but was tied. She was barking like crazy. Rick and I went in and could tell she was trying to get something behind some barrels. It was a skunk. It smelled terrible. Hopefully, it has made its way out. Jaden is now locked out of the barn. At least yours was dead Sue ;o)

Eden, LOL on all the pictures. I can tell that you only have 1 grandchild. What would 9 x 17 be? I take so many pictres with the digital camera, that I will have many more of her than my own kids. I love pictures!

Chelone, I'm looking forward to seeing your finished project.

Martie, good luck with the new job, I hope it fits you well.

Deanne, the frame on your card is fabulous, it really sets off the roses. I need to look for a program like that.

I think I'll try out a cup of the chocolate raspberry hot cocoa that we picked up at Sam's the other night.

Michelle

o

o

Happy Birthday Jane!

o

Happy Birthday Marian!!!!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Martie

o

Happy Birthday Marian!!!

Eden

o

Good morning !

Beautiful BD cards , for me , and for Jane .

Deanne , the beautifully framed Orchids is gorgeous .
Martie , I love poppies ....wish theyed grow here !
Eden , the Hibiscus is lovely .
Thanks all .

Marian (one day older , and deeper in debt ! LOL )

o

Happy Birthday to a special and wonderful friend...hope the day is as special as you are...Thinking of you and sending happy thoughts... Ei

Sorry the pic is a little dark...this was from last week, before the killing frost:

o
RE: Idyll 237---It is raining inside.....Janie

And the last of the mums for Janie:

Sorry I'm late...hope your day was cheerful and bright and full of fun! :-) Ei

o

I was born one mornin' when the sun didn't shine
I picked up my camera and walked outside...

OK, Marian, this is for YOU! What a pose!

o

o

Happy Birthday Marian!

I wonder if your winning lottery ticket would be in this purse?

o

Happy Birthday, Marian!!!

I'm back, finally. And what an appropriate idyll to jump back in on. I've just scanned the earlier part of this thread and have a water tale as well. I delayed blowing out the sprinkler system this yr b/c it was such a dry year and I wanted to give everything a good drink before winter sets in. Last Thurs., about 10 am, I heard a jack-hammering sound and thot it was someone working in the neighborhood. Since it was getting louder, I went to check out the basement to make sure the noise was outside. NOT. The water meter was banging and the little dial was just going crazy. I called the city and they said that if the dial was moving it meant some water line was open in the house. I shut off the washer and for the heck of it went outside. OMG -- "Old Faithful" was gushing on the side of the house up over the DR roof! I quickly ran back to the basement and shut the water to the house off. The sprinkler water line froze and broke. The sprinkler guys couldn't work that day b/c it was below freezing so they're due to come out Wed. to fix the system and blow it out. That's about $100 repair bill. Geez Louise! Of course, we had a monsoon the day before this happened and mother nature gave everything a good drink.

The garden is finally put to bed and DH and I are exhausted. Thank goodness he helped me b/c I really overdid it this yr. -- 85 bags of leaves, 60+ bags of pine bark mulch, lots of pruning and trimming and moving plants.

Lots of doom and gloom on the news again today. I'm worried about Janie in Oshua, ON. Hope she and her DH aren't affected by today's news from GM.

I have lots of catchup to do here. Just wanted to say Hi before I read up on y'all.

o
RE: Idyll 237---Happy B'day Again!

Janie -- Happy Birthday to you, too!

o

HI , dear Ei ! Thank you for the beautiful pics of my favorite colors , and the kind thoughts .
Marie , I love the nuthatch . I should put out a feeder for them , but I have become very bad at forgetting to put seeds in the other feeder . ( 'Oldtimers' is catching up with me ! LOL )
Babs , I love the white dicentras . Maybe I will add some to one of my beds .
Yum , Teresa ! Did you make that cake ? Neat !
WOW ! Honey is back ! Beautiful delphs !

I'm so sorry for your water woes , Honey . I used to do all those leaf bags , too . Most of our leaves have fallen , and the swirling winds have removed a lot of them from the yard into the woods .

Ei , I am extra glad to hear from you , for many reasons , but one is because it jogged my memory to sow the for-get-me-not seeds that you sent me . They are now scattered in 4 differant beds . Surely some will 'take' . I scattered some over the daffodil bulbs that I just planted . Now , I need to figure out a place to plant the lupin seeds ...

Marian

o

Happy Birthday Marian!

o

Happy Birthday Jane!

And I hope that this isn't a bad news day for you.

Happy Birthday Marian!

I decided that a shot of spring was called for!

My water woes are under control for the moment. A coworker was nice enough to loan me her carpet cleaner, which did a great job in cleaning up the stained carpet. Then we bought a new vacuum cleaner over the weekend so I should have presentable carpets in the future! (We sprang for a Dyson Animal to keep the dog hair under control. I have choked to death a few vacuums trying to keep ahead of the dog hair.)

I'm trying to write a better post in my head but there are too many interruptions! Maybe later, although I suspect that "later" may mean "after Thanksgiving dinner". I'll have three busy days until then. T-day itself will just be four of us, so that's not too bad.

I should say that I had a blast at the Tasetfully Simple party on Friday night. Plenty of wine flowing and a good group of friends to laugh and to share with.

Hope everyone has a good week,

V.

o

V, I'll be waiting on a critique of the Dyson. I've looked at them because I go through on average a vacuum a year with my animals. Oh and what is a Tastefully Simple party?

Eden

o

What great photos!

Marian, that is a cake that my daughter made for her girlfriend recently. I thought it clever so kept a photo of it. I hope you are having a great day. Oh, I also wanted to mention about your stove. Did you put out the word at church & to your son that you needed a new one? When we 'did' our kitchen here, I had a stove/oven that was working fine but bought new appliances for the new kitchen so we sold my 'perfectly fine' oven/stove for very cheap. You might find someone doing the same, if you get the word out that you are looking for a *good* gently used one.

V, I've had the Dyson Animal (vacuum) for a couple years and think it is the absolutely BEST vacuum that I've ever owned, the best vacuum ever designed and it works just as well today as it did the first day I used it. We have a long haired cat who sheds horribly so I am cleaning out the beater bar brush every time I use it but that doesn't bother me a bit. I don't get excited about housework. I don't get excited about appliances or small machinery but this vacuum is WONDERFUL!! ;oD

Okay, that just reinforces, to me, that I *need* to get a life. Doing that much raving about something that sucks up dirt and hair..........whew! Sad and sorry state of affairs when a woman falls that low. Yep, sad & sorry!

Taryn, what is the word on yesterday's open house?

T.

o

At the dump saturday, a man disposed of TEN large bags of leaves. It costs $1 per bag to dump them. I wonder how many others were doing the same thing. I should have asked him for the leaves and the $10!

This morning I managed to shovel compost on many shrubs, the hellebore garden and an island bed. That should help my back, don't you think?

DH and I are starting colds. Mine is the raw chest, his is the sneeze and wheeze.

Outdoors it looks like March here. It is gray and depressing with branches all over the place that need picking up. I think I'll stay indoors now and try a new recipe for hot and sour soup. That should help clear the sinuses!

V, what's a vacuum? ;-)

Just beautiful photos everyone! I love the tiny clematis of course, but T's purse is a hoot!

How's 'Bella the Ball' doing?

'bug

o

U-li-he-li-s-d tsa-de-ti-ya
u-li-he-li-s-d tsa-de-ti-ya
u-li-he-li-s-d u-li-he-li-s-d
u-li-he-li-s-d tsa-de-ti-ya

Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday, happy birthday
Happy birthday to you

I found this on a Cherokee site on the internet so decided to share with the 'birthday people'. (Wish I could sing it).
Marian, it's so nice to read of the pleasure you have with your plants. The elements on our stove are replaceable. Have you checked into that? We have replaced some of the top burners. It is 'going on' 20 years of use.
I have been enjoying scanning our long time favorite family recipes to share with the family members. Also included some recently mentioned on some of the forums and searched for on internet. One is 'Praline Sweet Potato Casserole' that our daughter has used for several years but is also on the internet. Another for baked cranberries which I did yesterday and put into small wide mouth canning jars for transport and serving. Also an apple pie recipe from a 50 year old 'Spry' recipe book including 'water whip' pie crust.
Crocheted 3 hats this past week. Have a lot of yarn to use so plan to be productive during the winter. Also have other materials to use for 'something'.
I appreciate the mention of 'happenings from the industrial world' so I can look up the news on the internet to share with family international.. who might not 'have a clue' about what is happening in the USA. We want everyone to be happy and satisfied where ever they have chosen to live and we also try to do the same regarding our choices. It has been very beautiful here this past year. I will put a photo below for a thread ending and our best wishes for everyone. EP

o
RE: Idyll 237---It is raining inside...../ but not here

A view from the park at the lake shore. Wishing all a beautiful day. EP

o

OH Michelle what is that plant????? I LIKE it! It looks like butterflies. Perennial or Annual?

Honey I keep thinking of you wondering if you're OK. Though you're soggy I'm glad you are OK-my heart pounds hearing of a 'geyser' garage roof-high. The second I hear about GM now I think of you two and who you probably know that's been affected: (

I'm a little nervous I just heard about a older man who was attacked at his home,locked in his car trunk and the thugs tried to burglarize the home...in mid morning!!! This happened only a mile away from here. I don't think they caught the people involved,I'm sure they're long gone. Figures Chris has been out of town since Friday. At least he gets home tonight.

~Babs...locking all my doors: (

o

Mon, Nov 21, 05 at 14:56

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARIAN!

Last blooms, in the greenhouse:

Enjoy your day!

Taryn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here