{{gwi:185609}}

{{gwi:185611}}

{{gwi:185614}}

{{gwi:185615}}

{{gwi:185616}}

Comments (11)

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

brrrr... Interesting to see the witch hazel blooming. Ours has had few blooms and we've had it for years. Don't even know what kind it is. When we got it I didn't even know there 'are' different kinds. Ours still has a few leaves. Have been enjoying a beautiful sunny morning outside preparing vines for weaving. EP

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

and I thought you were kidding when you titled the last photo thread "Before the Flurries".

Charlotte, please don't jump into the water; it looks mighty chilly!

Great pictures, bug, on both threads.

V.

• Monique z6a CT
    18 years ago

Too bad about the "dandruff" on the farm but it sure makes the plants and landscape look lovely! I refuse the use the "S" word yet.

Love the Hamemelis virginiana! I keep debating whether I should get one. Would be nice to have fragrant blooms in November (well, in addition to Daphne).

Monique

• janie_on
    18 years ago

same stuff here....weird weather the past few days. But I guess it is November.

Love the shots with Charlotte.

• chloehoover
    18 years ago

they look like watercolors !! And is your best furry friend loving it or bewildered? she appears somewhat hesitant about whether she welcomes this new weather or not!
    Terrific photo ops! Thanks for sharing, Gardenbug!
    -Cindy

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Unlike me, Charlotte adores winter and is not at all fond of warm weather. She does not like to swim, but enjoys wading up to her armpits in water no matter the temperature. She would never jump from the bridge.
    Monique, the witchhazel always surprises me. It is something you only notice close up. In fact, I have never detected a scent. It is nothing special when not in bloom, yet, because it is "native" I am fond of it.

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

Wonderful pictures Marie . The first one is my favorite . My witchhazel has buds , but only a few are about to open . It is on the north corner of our house . Neat pic of the clematis . Poor sad rose . It looks like I feel sometimes , lol .

Marian

• Monique z6a CT
    18 years ago

The one time I saw a fall blooming native Witchhazel in bloom was a couple of Novembers ago at a local nursery. It was rather warm that day and the fragrance was noticeable, but only in close proximity. I wonder if the temps helped out the fragrance?

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Outstanding photos Marie! Charlotte has a coat on year round, no wonder she doesn't care for summer. My dogs needs coats when it's below 40F. Their fur is painted on and has no R factor at all! That last photo is my favorite, with the stripes of different colored grasses and the dramatic blob of evergreens.

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Stunning! Funny, I thought Charlotte looked like: "C'mon, What Are You Waiting For??? Let's Go Play!!!!" in the first pic. She is a darling.

Witchhazel has now been added to the list for the "wild" shrub border that is going to take shape near our woods.

Martie

• david_5311
    18 years ago

Despite the snow (and you know my feelings about snow and winter) or maybe because of it, these pictures show a quiet beauty which rivals anything in June. Marie, you have become quite the photo-artist. It is good to see Charlotte out and about in these pictures. I bet she was having a fine old time in the snow, was she? Jessie (my dog, for those who don't know) always acts euphoric at the first snow of the year.