Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

Peru Trip

gardenbug
15 years ago

Idyll #408 contains some of the first pictures sent by DD of her trip. Now I am beginning to receive a few others that I'll share here.

First I'll begin with photos of their 6 hour stopover in Mexico City.

Arriving

{{gwi:185617}}

Taking the subway into town.

{{gwi:185619}}

A quick bite of well cooked food. (soft taco)

{{gwi:185620}}

Walk along a side street in the city.

{{gwi:185621}}

A cathedral downtown

{{gwi:185622}}

Close up of door detail

{{gwi:185623}}

The Tenochtitlan ruins in the city.

{{gwi:185624}}

View from the fancy restaurant where they ate before heading back to the airport.

{{gwi:185625}}

In Lima, they stayed at this hostel. Their doorway was the one on the right.

{{gwi:185626}}

The hostel

{{gwi:185627}}

The hostel in a quiet neighborhood with habiscus and other flowers in bloom.

{{gwi:185628}}

Colorful dwellings rise up the mountain.

{{gwi:185629}}

Fast food everywhere...no escaping it.

{{gwi:185632}}

Inca walls preserved in a park.

{{gwi:185634}}

More at a later date... :)

Comments (10)

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I forgot to mention that entire cars on the subway are reserved for women only, so they had to figure this out the hard way...with lots of laughter! Poor DSIL!

• chelone
    15 years ago

Every trip is full of those funnies. :)

I was struck by the lovely hostel. It reminded me of several Italianate mansions from the Victorian era in my area! And I love the color of it.

I'm also thinking about the many poignant moments shared. How important those times are and how hard it can be to make a place for all the memories.

What a pleasant place to do that hard work. :)

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Great pictures. I am espacially impressed with the houses climbing the mountain side.
    The old ruins are very interesting also.
    I love the first pic of the airplane view. I took a bunch from a jet in one of my flights over the Rockies, but they are not too clear, both due to the camera, and the window. If I fly again I hope to get more, but with a digital camera.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

I love all the intricate carvings - but it makes me wonder, in earthquake-prone areas like Mexico, how much damage they've suffered over time and are there still craftsmen who can do/repair that sort of work? The hostel in Lima looks very nice - was it as nice inside....?

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Two moments that they described to me-

First, in preparation for a side trip, DD made a list of expenses that would need to be carried out before departure the next morning. She went to the bank to get the correct amount, stashed it away, and off they went to dinner. Upon her return, the amount of money had changed...and she looked everywhere for it. It only amounted to about $50, but still... Finally DSIL mentioned it to the manager, not accusing anyone, but making them aware. Several days later, upon their return, the manager appeared in their room with a young woman. It turns out the woman had confessed to taking the money while cleaning their room, assuming they would not notice. She had been fired, but brought there to witness that the money was returned to the rightful people. This made everyone sad, but it is one of those travel experiences that occurs.

The other tale involves a wooden carving that DSIL loved and purchased. He knew he had paid more than any native would have to pay, but had bargained for it and was happy. Once they returned to their bus, he watched carefully how things were packed and carefully explained how fragile his bag was to the driver. But soon, the driver added bags to the pile and DSIL witnessed him bending over them with his knee smack on top of his bag with the carving inside. He was furious and let the fellow know about it! Obviously he was tense because he never behaves that way. But the statue was now in 35 pieces!
    Well upon their return from their trip, there was a knock on their door. It was the driver, whose brother is a carver! He had purchased a similar carving from him and also had him glue the original piece back together! They were very touched by this! And back home, their good friend the sculptor is now the proud owner of the reassembled carving...because he likes that one best because of the story!

And these are the experiences that travel is all about!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Really nice photos Gardenbug. I always like the view out the window of the plane and that is a good one. I also enjoyed the view from the restaurant and surprised by how nice the Hostel was. I have never stayed in one. I would think you would have to be in good shape to live on the side of that mountain...[g]. Very colorful!

Very impressive how the natives take responsibility for fixing what problems they cause. So different from the few other travel stories I have heard.

pm2

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Marie, the pictures are great the stories even better. Thanks for sharing them with us. Good to see and hear how S&W are doing. I think of you all every day.

Eden

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Eden, they try to be in good spirits and care for each other. Not too glum or serious...

{{gwi:185636}}

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Bug,it is so interesting to have an inside view of places unknown to me. I've always like to get off the beaten path when I travel. Thanks for sharing. I admire Sarah and Wayne for the way they handle things. Norma

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

What a lovely trip! Everything looks very interesting and colorful. It reminds me of the other day when I was buying paint and a hispanic man was buy a 5 gallon bucket of terra cotta colored paint. I couldn't help but wonder what he was painting with that much bright paint.

I'm glad they had an enjoyable trip with some much needed relaxation and change of pace.

Michelle

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz