No news from any foreign coast--

No park--no ring--no afternoon gentility--

No company--no nobility--

No warmth, no cheerfulness, no healthful ease,

No comfortable feel in any member--

No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees,

No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds,

November!

That just about sums up how I'm feeling about November :)

Carry On....

Comments (103)

• gardenbug
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

LOTS accomplished today. Lots of small things, but it is satisfying.

Cut back some plants, moved some hellebores. Then, after the dishes and cat litter jobs were done, I emptied the old Hoover and put in a new bag, also emptied the central vac canister and arranged for a repairman to fix it on our second floor. Got a new filter for it while at the shop. Took stuff to the dump and then helped DH Christmas shop for the kids. Bought a few nibbles - leeks for a soup and then a pumpkin pie. A really old man and I met at the Madarin orange table and decided we would share a box of them. He's not much older than me probably. ;) Anyway, sometimes it's fun when a friendly old soul strikes up a positive conversation.

DH had a miserable morning ordering tickets on line for our trip to Alberta. It took 1 1/2 hours of nonsense, but it is all organized and DONE! YEAH! Things are already getting quite hectic with parties and friends and so on. No time for reading or knitting it seems. :(

For dinner I guess I'll make plain pasta with DH's favorite tomato/beef sauce. I prefer no tomato sauce.
    'bug

• chelone
    13 years ago

Don't you just love productive days like this one?!

What will you get our lean/mean/ "slug" machine for Christmas? Clothing? little, soft, squishy toys? or toys that fit that description but are "dishwasher safe"?

I need to vacuum the house... . The floors and the rugs have that "faded" look; colors subdued by a film of pet hair that rivals Remay in its ability to cover everything...

No brag, just fact.

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

"What will you get our lean/mean/ "slug" machine for Christmas? "

Well, DH got Leo a yellow rubber ducky. I got him some socks with fancy faces attached - for him to gaze upon. They come with velcro wrist bands as well. I bought him a baby outfit too. I made a photo book about his arrival, something for everyone to read and him to enjoy more when he is 10. By the way, Leo is at least 10 pounds now, so not too skinny at all. In fact, Sarah says he's the fattest of all of them.

I think we will have a mini-Christmas before Skyler departs for his Mom's place. I bought him a few small things (including the wallet) and made him a photo book about his summer camp experiences. Skyler will miss Ivy & Leo opening things on Christmas morning, but he is learning that life continues even when you are not present...which is a very hard thing for anyone to deal with. (His Mom will compensate for all that with materialistic goods.)

Now for DH. Does anyone have experience with a car vacuum? We could sure use one and I think DH might like one. If I find one that works well at a decent price, I would give it to him here and not transport it to Edmonton!

No ideas for DD & DSIL. I think I'll give some time in the kitchen and some food expenses. Other than that, our tickets there are not cheap!

Need to get started on pet sitters.

• veronicastrum
    13 years ago

Today was a typical November Saturday, cold and rainy, so no outdoor work was even contemplated today. I met my former college roommate at a mall a few towns south of here and we put our best efforts into improving the economy. Since I only really clothes shop about twice a year, my effort was a good one. It was good to sit and chat with her over a leisurely lunch as well.

DH is gone pheasant hunting for the weekend, and he took the dog with him. It sounds awful to say that I miss the dog, but I am used to DH being gone!

I love the name Armistice Day and wish that they had kept that. It was interesting that the school districts around here did quite a mix of things. Some had Thursday as a day off with school on Friday and some did the opposite. I think those schools that had class on Thursday but held a significant observation of the holiday at school had the best idea. Most kids don't have any idea why they are getting a day off in November.

Hmm, there were some brilliant observations that I was going to share here - where did they go?

Ah! Big news!!! My television debut may be imminent! Seems that a well-known farm broadcaster has decided to film "Christmas in (insert name of my small town here)" and also has decided that our church will be used for the Christmas service. All of our choirs, including the handbells, will be filmed on a Friday night about a month from now. I'm not sure if it will be available on line or not, but I will post details when I know more. It should be an interesting experience.

Well, it's time to throw another log on the fire. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

V.

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

70 degrees today and scapes on 3 of my daylilies. We seem to be in a wild swing between frost, rain and warmth. The plants are confused.

If anyone here did not receive my e-mail re: IU8 and wishes to be added to the list please advise ! Early returns suggest that Garden Walk Buffalo will win the day . And so great to hear from Mary !

Laundry was the mundane task du jour (big backlog too) but I took a couple hours off to go see DS’s play , and wow was he good ! I really try to be objective about this stuff; he invariably asks me for honest criticism and I try to provide it . This particular role was the most challenging he’s done so far .

Chelone, lol , more chairs ??? You are hopeless my friend, but I can’t blame you one bit. I am still so pissed at myself for passing up a roadside chair I saw a couple years ago-it was so unique and would have been well worth the investment to restore it.

‘’bug, I highly recommend a 1 gallon Shop Vac for your DH. I use mine for lots of other stuff too-baseboards, cobwebs, and the annual succulent vacuum, in which the detritus of Lady Banks gets sucked up from the crevices of the Echeverias and the Agaves. It’s lightweight, portable and has good power.

V, I await your show-biz debut. I should post a photo of the mansion-like chicken digs at Quivira Vineyards near Healdsburg-damn fancy, and one of the most beautiful veg gardens I’ve seen-though Stonewall Kitchen still wins the prize .

All for tonight, dinner and movie awaits..

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Kathy, give me a make & model# please. I have no idea what I'm looking for!!!!

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Look around here 'bug, mine is a 1 gal , but you'll see lots of options.

Here is a link that might be useful: ShopVac

• gardeningmary
    13 years ago

Hi everyone
    As GB suggested I thought I'd stop by to say Boo. How fabulous to see the threads alive and well and full of chat and photos.

Probably the biggest change in our lives since I was here last was loosing our beloved Clousseau. He asked to go out at 9 PM one night a couple of months ago and ran his invisible fence chasing something. Ten minutes later we had a phone call that he had been hit by a car on a busy road in a direction he has never ventured to. He was alive when I got to him, but only for a few minutes. We all cried for days - he was 11 years old, but never having had a sick day in his life we weren't the least bit prepared to loose him. Life was so out of balance without a dog we knew we had to fill the void and are now the proud owners of little Zu-Zu - a 12 week old pug
    {{gwi:185707}}

She is the complete opposite of Clousseau in a delightful way and one of the friendliest little pups I've ever met. House training has gone well, except for DH's office which she seems to regard as a spacious public restroom (he's often in charge during the day). She likes her crate and never lets us out of her sight. Puppy training classes start in a couple of weeks and I shall check in with Chelone for canine advice:0)

Today Annie and I are playing with an ensemble in a recital (Vivaldi and Corelli) and as the morning was spent raking leaves I need a quick shower. I have my fingers crossed I have a clean concert outfit.

A wave to all, especially those I owe emails. It may be sporadic, but I will be back!!

Mary

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

Mary! Great to 'see' you! So sorry re Clousseau - such a tragic way to lose a canine friend. The new puppy is so cute - pugs are great little dogs. A new dog is never a replacement for a loved canine friend, but always soon finds its own place in your hearts. Welcome Zu-Zu...

Come back soon.

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Mary, wonderful to have you join us again! Beautiful photo too. Keep them coming when you can! Both Corelli and Vivaldi are wonderful to my ears.

I love the return of old friends. Heard from Honey as well! Just terrific.

This morning I cut back by half some of my clematis. They were just too messy. Still need to mound roses one day soon.

DH & I decided to have lunch at a mall and go our separate ways for errands. On our way, we just managed to hear Stuart MacLean on the radio, from Picton Ontario. He always has a magnificent commentary on each locale. Today was no exception and he also included reminiscences of small town Main Streets across the country.

DD will rue the day she asked for a dress for Ivy. Today Nana Marie was kept busy at 2 shops with 50% off on baby things. I did not hold back, except at a third store which had terrible trashy stuff. So I collected one plaid dress, one navy dress, one red long sleeved t-shirt with a big butterfly on it, a "onesie" with polar bears on it for Leo and a nice pair of socks for him as well. There's guilt there too as I'd love to send something to each Haitian and Nigerian child too....

DH was off buying lumber for a project and my one hour in a mall was killing. Loads of people...claustrophobic. My feet hurt. I noticed that the food court was quite interesting though with many nationalities represented: Greek, Indian, Asian, sushi, crepes, KFC and NYFries. The last two I can pass on. But I did buy myself a few very nice chocolates. I also noticed that the candy shop sells chocolate Scrabble and Monopoly games. Something new every year...

Again, a phone message from DS who called on his way to NYC. One day soon we will actually connect I hope!

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Here I am in a t-shirt on Nov 14, I feel like I’ve been transported back to San Diego. Because of the warm winds that started last night , things dried up enough to do a little shovel pruning, and weed pulling. I bought a small but sturdy salvage farm table last week that is installed in the family room for a group of the tender begonias and succulents. The table is robust enough to support clay pots , which is what most of my container plants live in.

I also spent some time today working on my computer photo files, what a mess . I didn’t know what I was doing when I first started using Picasa , and the organizational mistakes made then still prevail. This situation fits nicely into Julies Every Annoying Thing program,. Lol.

((Mary)) ..so very sorry to hear of the loss of your Clousseau …and so very glad to see you here on the Idylls again. What a cute little thing that Zu-Zu is ! And LOL poor DH and his awfice nee’ loo !

Laundry calls …

A bloom taken this morning, crazy ! And look at all those buds ..

Kathy in Napa {{gwi:185709}}From Garden Fall 2010

13 years ago

Some cute pictures...

Misty needs her face washed so she won't look quite so much like a vampire!
    {{gwi:185711}}

Randy was teasing her with a cookie from the fresh batch:
    {{gwi:185712}}

• babs_clare
    13 years ago

Wow-I can't believe Kenzie is so mature looking! Beautiful as ever too,Michelle: ) I guess everything is relative though...I've been away as long myself-where has the time gone?

Kathy I love your pics! I love when a photo makes me want to be there-it looks so serene and calm there ...makes me want to drink...wine? lolol.

V-I'm sorry to read of the loss of your friend~much too young. I will look for that persicaria.

Mary I'm sorry I had not been aware of you losing Clousseau and in such a traumatic way-that had to be so difficult. No way is that David looking grown up too??? Glad you have Zu Zu to love!

'Bug-wait-who's Leo? Is this your DD's baby? He's so handsome!

Hope all are doing well here in Idylland. I know I can't catch up but I just wanted to say hi and add that I'm experiencing the sandwich generation hands-on with Chris' mom these days. I knew it would happen but it still unsettles me. Chris' mom fell and broke her shoulder two weeks ago-she's been a double amputee for 5 yrs. Tuesday she will have surgery to replace the shoulder...healing and rehab take a good long while. At any rate she is in a nursing home now and ironically we feel such relief at that because it's been a constant worry that she would one day fall. Now she is in better(capable)hands.So that's it in a nutshell. How weird it is to feel such a sense of relief considering what has happened and what will come. She's been so stubborn which can be good for survival but it also creates such stress and depressive feelings for Chris as he has worried she'd become seriously injured for so long now. His sister still doesn't help~very common in so many caregiving families. Between parenting our kids and tending to my MIL it's been hectic to say the least. We manage.
    AJ & Ryan are great. Aj loves high school and is involved in drama club(stage crew) and the golf team-he's gotten high honors for his grades so we are so happy with it all. Ryan is doing just as well and I try to hold onto those moments of him being just 9. I know it's about to slip by(like it did for AJ) and then he'll be dating girls and driving...eek.

To attempt to balance the stress in my life I am taking each speck of free time to create wire wrapped beach glass jewelry and I'm taking a stab at trying to sell it a craft fair fundraiser at AJ's school...problem is that it's hard to sell the ones I really like : )

I'll try to touch base when I can...then again I wouldn't be shocked if anyone said who the #$%% is Babs! lol.

~Babs

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

What a day Mary and Babs both popping in. Great to hear from you both!

Mary, so sorry that you lost Clousseau. The new pup will keep you all hopping I’m sure.

I’m sure that both you and Babs are busy with the kids and all the activities they have these days.

Babs, you always make me smile with your posts. Sorry to hear things are not going well for Chris’s mom. You seem too young to be dealing with those issues.

Kathy, how that you are still getting blooms. I see some alyssum peeking out from under the snow if that counts.

We awoke to a couple of inches of snow yesterday. It was hard to stall Kenzie from going outside. Finally mid-afternoon I relented. We made a snowman, snow angels, tracks and ate snow. For her birthday I gave her “The Girls Book of Flower Fairys” It has a fair amount of fairy craft ideas. We made fairy wings, a fairy crown, tissue paper flowers, a fairy purse and a map of fairy places. The purse and map were made to look like leaves. We also baked a pumpkin pie, played games �" I’m exhausted!

Michelle

This years bench picture.

{{gwi:185713}}

• gardeningmary
    13 years ago

Hello again

How wonderful to see Kenzie looking so grown up, sweet little Misty and Kathy's blooms. It's like coming home again:0)

Babs - Annie too loves stage crew and just finished building a set for The Crucible. She has become quite handy with power tools. She also really enjoys the camaraderie of the crew compared with the high drama that can accompany the performers. One of the crew's faovrite activites after performances is to head to Ben and Jerry's for "The Vermonster".

David continues with his passion for classical guitar and also enjoys his double bass. In fact this week he has his first "job" subbing for his bass teacher in the matinee performance of a Johnny Cash musical. It means a full week of rehearsals (and a ton of driving for me) but he is super excited about it.

I just came back from a walk with zu-Zu. Pugs can turn into real couch potatoes and tend towards obesity so exercise is real high in my books. Unlike Clousseau who loved nothing better than tearing through the woods in any weather, Zu-Zu is a little more delicate when it comes to walks. She will sit down and refuse to budge if it is the least bit cold or she's feeling tired. As one book said, never walk a pug further than you are willing to carry her. However, she's up to about 1/2 a mile and nothing is cuter than those little pug legs going back and forth as she trots along.

Mary

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Our warm spell continues here, we actually turned on the AC this afternoon at the awfice as it was nearing the 80 degree mark . I think tomorrow is supposed be substantially cooler and rain is expected for late in the week.

Hi Babs ! I’m sure we’d be happy with a quarterly post from you at this point ! And of course photos of the jewelry creations would be a bonus too.. My late FIL was in a care facility for quite awhile too, in his case I think the entire family felt that he was his own worst enemy , injuring his shoulder several years ago and refusing to follow Drs orders for therapy. It was all downhill from there, so unfortunate since there was really nothing wrong with him , but his resistance to staying active really compromised his health.

Michelle, cute pic of Kenzie !Is that ‘Ramona’ she’s holding ?

Lol Mary, I remember encouraging my DS to do stage crew activities when he was in HS , assuming that he was too reserved for acting,yet knowing he loved the theater.. I sure turned out to be off base on that . He auditions for everything .

Ok I have to figure out some dinner..nite all !

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

'Ramona' it is!

I love how so many of the Idyll children are into the fine arts. My kids participated in music and a little theater but it wasn't a love for sure. Kenzie on the other hand sings all the time. Its fun to play music around the house and a bit later hear her singing what she had heard.

Mary, a "job" sounds very impressive. I remember how much dedication it takes on the parents part.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

First, today's outstanding victory! Our friends have won their 13 year battle against pit development in their area. Such hard workers and so expensive too! More below. The decision seems to have been made for many of the right reasons as well. WOW!

On much less grand a scale is my own issue, also involving hard work, namely preparing for a cleaning lady! I'd forgotten about all the preparation, but at least this has me moving in the right direction. Two year old piles of papers and receipts have made it to the fireplace for burning! I have bought new buckets, sponges, cleaning products, etc. I have swept a couple of rooms too, thrown away a broken laundry basket. Fortunately she will only tackle the first floor this time. We'll see how things go tomorrow. It amazes me what a mess two people can accumulate. And I'm the one who likes throwing things away...

Made it to the library, the pharmacy, the hardware store and an underwear shop. Really working at this organization stuff. I'd love to throw away most of my clothes too and clean out the dressers. We'll see about that too.

Good to see Randy & Mysty! Ms Zu-Zu is a cutie too. Need to see Stella again soon as well. The little children have turned into handsome young people: Just look at David and Kenzie!!!

Yes Babs, Leo Spencer is DD's little guy, now over 2 months old. Ivy is over a year and a half now. She is so much fun to listen to on the phone. She talks and talks and talks and no one has a clue what she is saying and they haven't found the "off" switch either. Today she pulled on Indy-dog's ears and immediately went to the stairs for a self imposed time out and a whimper. Crazy girl! She went to her room to get "Baby Bunny" and gave him kisses. Then Bunny gave Mommy and Indy kisses too. Can't wait to see her in December!!!

{{gwi:178418}}

Here is a link that might be useful: CCC

• jak1
    13 years ago

Hi all! Happy Wednesday!

Miserable sloppy day here today, but I can't complain, we have had a wonderful fall this year. It is supposed to get cold with a vengeance tonight, and then we will be in for it until Spring.

Now that Hallowe'en and Remberance Day are over for us in Canada, it is time to think about Christmas....DH is not into the holidays so much, but this year he has bought some outdoor lights for our trees (!!!) and has gotten out some Christmas cd's (!!). We often have soft music playing here in the background. I have been looking over my Christmas baking recipes - that is one thing I love about this time of year. I make about ten different Christmas treats, and often give tins of them for gifts...

TCS is once again on new meds, and I am very pleased with the results so far. He is finally actually eating, and is also sleeping very well. In just one week he looks 100% better, and the daily behaviour log from school is extremely positive. I hope this continues - We are focussing on physical activity a bit more. He will get a mini trampoline and hockey stick for Christmas, new skiis, a snow block maker, and of course, books. DD has found some great science kits that are meant for older kids, but he thrives on them and that is what she will get for him. He is also swimming one-on-one at the local pool on Friday nights.

Lucky you, Bug, a cleaning person! It sounds funny that you are cleaning up for the cleaners, but I alwys told my family when we had someone coming to clean that they can't wash the floor if they can't find it! I really enjoyed your series of posts on Haiti, and your description of the gifts for the kids sounds great.

I spent a good part of yesterday sewing, mending mostly. I quite accidently discovered that my machine is actually a free-arm machine when it sort of came apart when I was setting it up. I can just see Chelone rolling her eyes as she reads this *LOL*

Mary! How great to see you back again! I am so sorry to hear about your little Clousseau. It may be of some small comfort to know that the last sounds he heard were of your loving voice. The pug looks adorable! Did you say that you are near Rochester? We are not so very far apart then as we are about an hour from Brockville.

I thought about Sue yesterday when I heard a small scurrying sound under my barbecue cover. Was it Grill Mouse? no, it was a breeze and leaves. We have Birdhouse Mouse instead...

Gee Kathy, air conditioning and blooming daylilies? Awesome. It sounds as if your DS is having a great time with the theatre. And obvioously you are enjoying it immensley. Isn't it great when someone finds a niche?

Hey, who the #$%&!@$ is Babs? *LOL*

Wow, is Kenzie ever growing up! What a great idea, to take a photo of here on the same bench every year. What a great album that will be for her when she is older. What fun, I wish I'd thought of it!

How are you doing, Woody? Vampire dog indded. She doesn't scare me!

The Julie jobs are getting done, but not so much the EAT program. The more stuff I chuck the more the Philistines bring in....It is never-ending. What a bunch of consumers!

The Federation of University Women holds a fund raiser each year here in beautiful Perth in the form of a house tour, with many historic and beautiful homes fully decorated for Christmas. Last year the home of a friend was featured, and she asked if I could spend one day sitting as a volunteer in her house, which I did. I was rewarded with a half price ticket for that tour, and am really pleased that the group called me last week to see if I would volunteer to sit again this year. I am going to see the home I will be in this afternoon, with a tour, a history, and of course, a half price ticket for this year's tour. Really looking forward to it, I love older homes!

That's it for now,

Cheers,

Julie

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

We have fierce winds and rain today. Gloomy!

But I am quite delighted with my new friend Debbie who managed to do a great deal of clean-up around our house in only 2 hours. My goodness, what energy. It seems she had cleaned another house in the morning, and at 3PM was off to a third place! In addition, she works at the Post Office unloading trucks etc... So why can she accomplish more than I do in my own home??? Well, she's younger by a bit, but not much. She has a 31 year old daughter and lots of family issues to deal with like everyone else. But the mere fact of her coming here energizes me. Several of those everlasting piles of papers near the phone are gone, the island table in the laundry room is almost cleared off, etc... I want to attack my dresser drawers and closet space this week too. Maybe she is related to Julie?

Activities are building up as we get closer to Christmas, but in addition I'm booked for an emergency check with the dentist and other boring stuff. I still need to do some final garden work as well. There have been some nice wood stove moments in our family room of late!

Hearing from Babs, Honey, Jerri, Mary, V, Marian, Cyn...WOW, what a treat!
    Hope things are going well for all! Thanksgiving is fast approaching for you Americans!
    'bug

13 years ago

Christmas came early for Randy today... He's been hankering for a new guitar (a Taylor DN3 if that means anything to anyone...) They were one sale at a local guitar store so we went by and got one! Also, LL Bean had a 'no shipping charges for Canadian orders' sale so I had ordered him two nice wool sweaters, which came today.

{{gwi:185714}}

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Can't wait to tell Ric! We're so busy, but need to get together soon for a concert, a dog meet or a dinner!

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Hey everyone! I'm back online again. I've missed reading Idylls but honestly I didn't miss being on line to much, and I have been getting the Julie Jobs done. Still aways to go yet though.

I'll never be able to remember enough to comment to everyone. It really is great to hear updates from missing Idylls. Sorry to hear about Clousseau though Mary. Zu Zu is a cutie and David looks so grown up. Congratulations to him on his first job too.

Babs, good to hear from you too. I do understand the relief you feel about having Chris's mom where she is being looked after. I think about you every time I watch a concert on tv that is filmed at Hocking Hills. They seem to do a lot of them there. Isn't that near where you like to vacation?

Bug I'm pleased to hear you like your cleaning friend. I have been working my way through a deep cleaning and organizing session. The price I pay for spending my summers outside.LOL I also enjoyed reading the Hati experience.

And of course I always love seeing pics of the kids and dogs.

Woody, I am happy for Randy getting his guitar. I was looking at Taylors before I just happened to pick up a certain model Martin that I loved the sound of. I have been enjoying playing again now that I'm in the house more.

I'm still trying to get out for my walks most days,but have to be careful now that it is deer season.
    My bone density test came back positive for osteoporosis so I definetly need the weight bearing exercise.

Julie, it's good to hear the new meds are working for TCS. I hope it continues to be helpful.

Kathy, I had a late blooming daylily too. It was a pink one called Final Touch. I still have some petunias in a protected spot by the front porch blooming. We are so dry here it is bad. It sprinkled enough last night to dampen the dirt and that is all. Niki came in so covered with dust yesterday afternoon I had to give her a bath. It wouldn't even brush out.

I had to go in to the doctor for a physical and new perscriptions and had a flu shot that I got a reaction from. I already had a scracthy throat and that just really set me off. I'm still not up to par, and tired of wiping my nose.

Going to close out for now so I don't lose my post.

Norma

13 years ago

Randy will be interested in Ric' opinion of the new guitar.... If you have free time between now and when you head out west, let us know and we can set up a dinner date here. Dog meet too if we get together while it's daylight... Blue arrived on Monday, staying until Dec. 20. His 'parents' are at their condo in Mexico until then. We had a couple of walking/socializing dates with Copper in the past month to introduce her to Blue. Blue can be iffy with other dogs and Copper's owners need some dog-sitting near the end of Blue's stay - Copper is so suspicious of people she doesn't know well that she's not a good participant in things like Christmas parties! Blue seems to have learned to tolerate Copper but still does 'grrr - get out of my face' when she crowds him a bit. But we're reasonably confident that Copper could pop in for a visit without any significant fireworks! Blue would probably react to Phoebe in much the same way. Introductions are best done in daylight though I've found. Liam and Blue are good buddies. They are both frequent visitors and have overlapped enough times that they are comfortable with each other. They were both here a couple of weeks ago and when Liam's 'mother' came to pick him up, Blue thied to get in the car too!

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Good evening Idylls.. the ‘heat wave is over here and a cold rain storm is on it’s way , snow levels will move down to 3000 ft…here on the left coast of California , snow is a high elevation event, snow at or near sea level is rare indeed.

I’m lining up the long neglected movie and reading list, and thinking about tackling the dreadful garage.

I’m sure my DS would appreciate Randys new guitar Woody, though his ‘acting’ gigs have superseded the music in the last few months.

Norma, my BILs in Oregon have had very little frost too, I think it’s been a warm fall all along our coast. I have only turned the heat on in the house a few times so far, and still persist in keeping the house opened up as much as possible. I think we are in for a rainy winter, which will make all my shovel prune and plant moving plans a bit of a challenge.

Julie, glad to hear the meds are doing their job for TCS..One of my JJ’s for this winter is painting DS’s room, which is abysmal , and requires some cooperation on his part. The carpet needs to be replaced too.

Jealous of ‘bugs cleaning helper.

All for tonight !

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Norma! Glad to hear from you. So sorry about your throat. DH feels that all his problems began with a flu shot last December....

About osteoporosis. I'm told a LOT has been researched recently on this and that bone density is no longer the prime test, but rather the fracture likelihood which varies per person. Lots of vitamin D along with C and lots of weight bearing exercise are suggested. A good diet too of course.

Oh dear, Ric is curious about Randy's guitar, but has no idea about what a Taylor DN3 might be. With his throat out of commission, he's done little voice or guitar work. We leave on the 20th, so I'm not organized yet around pet sitting and holiday events etc. DS has me building a blog for his school too. I'm soooo weak at computer stuff! Le sigh.

Kathy, $15 an hour for 2 hours every 2 weeks. It really is good for the soul.

Tomorrow, the dentist. A new one, and new problems. Je soupir!(I sigh....)

DD tells me of the frightening accident which DSIL's niece experienced last weekend. Black ice was the culprit! Car rolled twice through a creek and she landed right side up on the other side and extracted herself from the vehicle, sopping wet. She is 19, alive, and bruised in several ways, but otherwise just fine. No one even cares about the car at this point!

DSIL returns tomorrow from a course on survival from helicoptor crashes in water. A friend of DD's took this course last year and loved it. It gave her great confidence. At 5'2' and about 100 pounds she learned to assist a 6'6" unconscious 220 pound passenger out of a crashed plane. They practice in swimming pools!

I'm too old for all this, but I think I'd like to refresh CPR in the new year.

Ivy started saying YAYAYAYAYA this week, without prompting. Brings tears to my eyes, but shows she is definitely Reed's little sister.
    'bug

• gardeningmary
    13 years ago

Good morning

It must have been a busy week for the other Idyllers too as I'm not too far behind. Julie - great to see your posts again, and Norma!

Love the photo of Randy and his new guitar. A musical instrument is something that will give years of pleasure. I've often thought that if we had to leave the house in an emergency I'd grab the pets, the passports and our instruments.

This week has been something of a killer as the driving back and forth to David's show adds on to an already long day. I often had to rouse myself from deep sleep for the 10PM drive. Adding in I've come down with a cold and DH is out of town it seemed a long week. However, this morning I got to sleep in (as much as a new puppy and crowing rooster allow) and it felt great.

Yes, one of the new girls, a beautiful red silkie chicken has turned out to be male. As we cannot keep roosters here he is going to join a friend's flock on Sunday. I'm sad as he is quite beautiful and very gentle and one of my favorites. I've missed so much but wondered if there are pictures of V's chickens anywhere?

Coffee calls, and we have another busy day ahead so I need to get going.

Till later!

Mary

• drema_dianne
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone! I have been gone a lot the past two weeks. First I went to Alexandria VA to see my best friend from 8th grade. When we turned 50 we said we were going to make it point to spend the weekend together once a year. It was so fun to catch up with her. I rode down with a friend who split from her husband after 30 years of marriage. I think that happens a lot, I seem to know a lot of people my age who are rethinking the rest of their life. It could be the economy, people who are out of work are doing something that they always wanted to do, but couldn't leave their profession, but if your profession leaves you, it's a chance. Anyway, I got back late Sunday night, and got up early Monday and rode to Raleigh with Skip, got back last night around 1AM. I don't like to travel so much at night anymore. I can remember when the kids were little, we used to drive all night while they slept, and actually planned long trips around that. Anyway, the weather was gorgeous in both places, I was wearing a tee shirt yesterday. Sunny, beautiful. It is a gorgeous ride through the mountains too. There was a 77 car and semi pile up on 77 on our way down, so we had to go some side routes. It took 3 extra hours, but I was just thankful that I wasn't part of it.

Mary! I can't tell you how glad I am to see you back. I have been thinking of you and hoping all was okay. So sorry to hear about Cousseau, but how nice to see Zu Zu. Little cutie pie. Glad all is going well with you. I look forward to seeing your crafting projects.

Babs, another welcome back to you! Glad everything is going well for you guys, and sorry to hear Chris' mom is having health problems. My mom was just in the hospital for two weeks, now she has PT people coming in to her home in a steady stream. I think she enjoyed the attention in the hospital, but is getting fed up with them coming to the house nonstop. She likes to pick and choose when she communicates with the outside world. Not a people person, and she likes to read her books and stay in bed. All this movement is totally against her nature. She used to tell me when I was a kid, too much exercise will kill you. She was serious, LOL.

Woody, nice pic of Randy, Misty and his new guitar too. Glad things are going well for you guys. I so enjoyed our visit.

Norma, good to hear from you, too. Osteoporosis is on my horizon, I think you are freckled with fair skin like me, right? They say that fair skinned people are prone to it, and I had a test that said I was below average for my age as far as bone density. I do think they have some good medications now. I have been trying to lift weights, but can't do lunges, etc because my knees are not cooperative.

Kathy, next time I come out your way, I am going to go to Flora Grubbs if I can work up the nerve to head into the city. She has the best pics of succulent wreaths for the holidays, and the pics of her brother's wedding are gorgeous.

Chelone, you are making a lot of progress on the salon project. You must be getting closer to your goal. I am excited for you.

Well, I wanted to write more, but I need to get moving and make some $$$.

Take care!

Drema

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

It's Saturday finally!

I really need to go outside and finish up the garden clean up. 25 degrees and breezy doesn't sound appealing. With next weekend being Thanksgiving weekend, it really needs to get done today.

I guess it has been a busy week, I see that I haven't posted since Monday. We had commitments several evenings.

Mary, at least your rooster has a home where you can see him.

It looks like "Baby Bunny" is well loved - what a great picture.

Julie, I'm glad to hear that the new medication is having positive results.

As for Christmas I don't get into it at all under after we have enjoyed our Thanksgiving celebration. I think its such a nice holiday that gets somewhat ignored. Maybe we should move it to the earlier date the Canadians have.

I have a busy Thanksgiving on the agenda. Several meals with my side of the family, a meal with Rick's family at our house, shopping with my sisters, mom and SIL and a baby shower.

I'd best bundle up and head outdoors.

Enjoy your day
    Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Happy Saturday Idylls, I have to work tomorrow (annual inventory hell) so trying to make the most of this rainy day, though it was off to a rocky start �"fixing to come downstairs this morning and there was some ruckus to be heard �"arrived to find three of my recently moved-inside plants on the floor, plants and pots in various states of damage. The clay pots were smashed up, the Aeonium was broken, dirt all over the floor , and Doobie looking on in what I assumed was feigned innocence. My first reaction (after the verbal ) was to make a nice pot of Peets French Roast. Swept up the mess, rescued cuttings from the variegated Cuban oregano and the Aeoniums , and had breakfast. Next step was the hated vacuum. However the discovery of a SKUNK , sleeping peacefully in my family room, under the end table changed my plans. I apologized to Doobie, who clearly was smart enough to stay far away from his visitor (thank god) and pondered my next move. Shoo-ing him/her out was not an option, and I also decided against vacuuming. I decided to open up all the exterior doors in the immediate area and put the catfood outside as a lure, and then left the house to run errands. It worked ! I can home an hour later and he was gone�"Ai �"yi-yi, I thought I was going to have to co-exist with the critter til nightfall due to the nocturnal issue, but I guess my absence and the cat food stirred him to skee-daddle. Guess I better increase security to code orange.

Drema, just take the ferry to the city and get a taxi ! voila, no driving up and down those hills, lol.

Mary , you are such a good Mom, staying up past 10 every night would do me in ! And of course it’s impossible to just come home and go to sleep, as a wind-down period is needed.

Okay, back to work…

Kathy in Napa

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Roosters, Skunks ! Oh MY !

LOL Kathy, thank goodness the skunk didn't get defensive.

Drema. I am freckled and fair skinned, also my mom had severe Osteoprosis. Glad you got to enjoy some nice weather while traveling. I don't like traveling at night anymore either and Bob gets downright cranky if we don't get settled in somewhere by eight. How are all those grandbabies doing?

I am cooking Thanksgiving dinner this year for the first time in about three years. I hope I can pull it off. Lately I tend to overcook things, if I cook at all.

Michelle I really wanted to get outside today too. I have some daffodil bulbs that need replanted. I didn't make it though as it took me a second day to clean the basement. I was only out long enough to wash the outside of the windows. Hopefully I will have some time tomorrow.

Mary, It would be tough to have to go back out at ten when you are tired. Is Annie driving yet? I can't remember if she is old enough yet.

Good evening all. Norma

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

It is a blustery cold Sunday here. I have spent the morning working on many things:
    -preparing a leek/potato/apple soup for tomorrow evening's book club
    -supervised the caging of shrubs, the mounding of roses (and the addition of moth balls)to deter the critters over the winter. DONE!
    -answered urgent emails and made lunch for DH.

DD phoned and Ivy and Leo were there in the background. Ivy said something which I interpreted as "Hi Nana Meo". Sarah was startled because it was the first time she had strung words together.
    Here are my sweeties:
    {{gwi:185715}}

A big belly laugh...
    {{gwi:185716}}

I have been working hard to start a blog for a shool in Haiti. I know zero about computers, so to say this is a challenge is a huge understatement. The idea of "building" a school is not about hammers and nails and wood, but about energy, effort, coordination, enthusiasm and so forth. So communication between people who care and those in the field should help. I am so touched that people from this forum have contributed $400 so far, and this will allow the school to function for half a month! This means so much to many, and HUGE thank-yous go out to you. It is hard to imagine that this school is an hour's plane ride from Disney World in Orlando... I'll post my beginning effort below for you to see. Today a big meeting takes place at the school at 3PM. I am hoping for good results!

And now I must get some nibbles and things at the store, then prepare a dessert for tomorrow's meeting. We'll discuss the Mistress of Nothing which I really enjoyed!

Enjoy the last moments of your weekend too!
    'bug

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Cute pictures of the kiddos Bug. You make some interesting soups.

I grocery shopped this morning, and am just back in from my walk. I'm up to three miles. It is warm and windy and Rebel tuckered out quickly. I think like me, he perfers the cooler weather of earlier morning. I don't think we will have to worry about that much longer as our weather is about to change again to more seasonable. I do hope we get some rain too.

I saw two deer while I was walking. I have seen many more while walking that DH had seen while hunting. LOL

We have filled the bird feeders and Niki is practically camping out near it. I would put a bell on her but she is doing a good job on the mice and voles so I hope the birds will be vigilant.

Off to play guitar while Bob is in the woods so I can make all the noise I want.

Norma

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Cold here and mixed with rain made this morning's commute a bit slippery.

Saturday's garden cleanup might not have been pleasant weather-wise but it was extremely productive. I'm calling it quits for the season.

Kathy, that was quite an adventure you had with the skunk. Great job of solving the problem. You must not have been too startled to see him. I think I might have let out a squeal.

'bug, those first sentences are just so fun to hear and you can just tell from Leo's picture that it truly is a belly laugh.

Norma, 3 miles is great! I've been slacking off with my swimming and walking. I'll have to hit the treadmill now that we have this ice.

Off for at least one Julie Job for the evening.

Michelle

• saucydog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good morning friends!

It took me a good bit of this morning and a cup of ginger tea to catch up with you! It is a good way to spend one's time.

I'm so sorry about Clousseau, Mary, but I can think of nothing better than a new puppy to get you all through! It is nice to see posts from you.

And from Babs! It has to be tough being in the middle of a sandwich, but it's good to see you nonetheless.

I desperately need to finish garden clean up here. Since my "workshop" is outdoors, I collect a bunch of stuff there that then needs to find an indoor home, and that is the part that trips me up. I wish I had my own building and I don't know how to make that happen. I guess I need to start a jar for saving.

I really enjoyed Adam's trip to Haiti and shared the link with some friends. You're mighty ambitious, GB, to create a blog. I think you are more tech savvy than you let on :)

I just got home from a quick trip to TN to visit my father and introduce him to Emma. Just before I arrived, my nephew broke both of his arms! He fell head first out of a tree from a limb 8 feet off the ground. It's a good thing his little sister kept her cool and made it back to the house to tell mom. He seemed in good spirits and happy to share his ordeal with all who would listen. He'll be a hero at school, I imagine.

I enjoy my cleaning lady so. I have been organizing for a year or more now (taking summers off, lol) and I feel we're making great progress here. I like it when she leaves and the whole house feels "put together" for an hour or two. Sometimes she and I work together on certain areas.

A man is here to install my new front porch windows, so I must go! I'm very excited at the comfort this will bring to the airlock on the front of the house. On nice days I'll be able to open the door and soak up some sun.

Saucy

• saucydog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

{{gwi:185717}}

A little horsey told me that we missed Marian's birthday! I wished her a happy day on FB, but I didn't make it over here in time! So sorry, Marian, life has been busy.

Saucy

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

{{gwi:185718}}

(Don't count, just celebrate!)

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Hello my friends.. a busy Tuesday evening here at the kathy house-we are told that temps will fall into the mid-20’s tonight, and mid to high twenties for the next 2 nights thereafter. I daresay the unsightly Dahlia foliage may bite the dust this time. The two or three light frosts we’ve had thus far have left quite a few things untouched. I still have blooming Fuchsias, roses, etc. I came home from the awfice a little early tonight and rushed around moving the tender succulents, begonias , etc out of harms way, and put a frost blanket over my lime tree. The pop-up greenhouse remains uninstalled ! There wasn’t time to set it up tonight before it got dark, so there are numerous plants in the garage.

My last fall foliage photo foray up the valley �"must have been the weekend before last �" just didn’t produce the results I had hoped for. The colors are way nicer now, and the rains of last week have cleared the dust off. I’m going to go out early Thanksgiving morning with my camera- there’s usually little traffic out on the roads sunrise time on holidays, perfect for photos. DS and I are heading over to DD’s for Thanksgiving , in the ‘other’ wine valley . I’m doing Christmas again this year so it will be nice to be a ‘guest’ for this holiday. I’m taking her some tulip and daffodil bulbs, and hope to plant them for her too- and maybe I’ll come home with some photos of Mr Toddler !

Saucy, I didn’t realize that Emma was with you on your trip ..how nice ! It must have been cool for her to see the ‘motherland’ ..a trip of discovery ! I think I could benefit from the cleaning magic just once a month. DS is home infrequently and I don’t make much of a mess on my own.. but how great to have the 3 bathrooms professionally cleaned once a month, especially in garden season when I just don’t feel like spending much time indoors. I have two more windows I want to replace next year, but I want to make them larger , which turns it into a construction project. These are the windows in my family room that face out to the back garden. I’m inspired by Deannes fabulous room at the back of her house- and though I don’t have the resources (or the space) to replicate that , I have come up with a modified version, the question mark is the expense. I’m hoping to get a quote this winter, and at least then I’ll know if it is even within reason for me to do.

Norma, I was striving for 25 miles a week walking, but I am so wimpy about doing it in winter, and hate to abandon my garden in summer. I really need to get back on this regimen; I feel way more energized , and it was fun to walk in different neighborhoods �"viewing other peoples gardens !

Hi Nana Meo !

C'mon Chelone..come out and play.

Kathy in Napa

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Happy Birthday Marian!

Saucy, good to read that you shared time with Emma. Can you tell us a little more about her life, or are you giving her her privacy?

Kathy I too feel more energized when I walk. I think it keeps me less moody too. There are a lot of hills on my trails so I get a pretty good work out.

We are getting more rain this morning with some thunder and lighting. Niki keeps thinking she wants to go out but won't venture off the porch. I think she just gave up and went back to bed.

Busy day here starting food prep for tomorrow.

I hope everyone has a pleasant day.

Norma

13 years ago

{{gwi:185719}}

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

I enjoyed this clip of lunch at the mall! Hope it works for you. Turn up the volume.

Here is a link that might be useful: Surprise!

• saucydog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh no, Kathy! lol Emma didn't go to TN, she's safely tucked away at college ;) My dad lives in a remote place with no phone, no internet, so it takes a bit to get a picture and a real message to him. I should've clarified :)

I just got a letter from her family, though. We all feel pretty thankful this year ;)

Sarah got a guinea pig for her birthday. She's pretty tickled. He's the cutest little thing, and has a personality (which was surprising to me). I like all the little chirps and whistles he makes.

Gotta go...busy day!

Saucy

• Marian_2
    13 years ago

Thank you for the Happy Birthdays. I had just told Nolon I an apparently no longer considered a member of the Idylls, then I scrolled down and found Saucy's horse's message. :-) Yes, I got several wishes on Facebook. Thank you all, both there, and here. It was a very good day.

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

A brief hello on Thanksgiving-eve, looking forward to a few days off in a row, though I may visit my awfice for a couple of hours on Fri to get some paperwork cleaned up. I took a post-freeze WALAT after work today to view the damages-all was as expected-slimy black Dahlia foliage, coleus is DOA ( have cuttings of all) damage to Pelargoniums vary, and cuttings were taken of the scented types , just in case.

A dry weekend would be nice , but the rain is expected back on Fri ..I sure would like to move a few more plants around. Oh well.

Thanks so much ‘bug for that link..I’ve shared it with our FB friends…

Happy Thanksgiving everyone !

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

All right ladies and gentlemen....

Here is a link that might be useful: Happy Thanksgiving!

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

So, I just received an email that DS is coming from Boston for dinner tonight. This alters things as he will expect it to be Thanksgiving...which we already celebrated back in early October. Off to buy some cranberries etc.
    I will be thankful if his car makes it all the way to our doorstep. ;)

• saucydog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL GB! I'm sure he'd be happy with whatever you have :) How nice that he'll make it home.

Happy Thanksgiving, friends! I'm in charge of the appetizer. We have the cutest little (new) cheese shop in town and she help me put together a fun and tasty cheese plate.

I've lost my voice, but that's okay. I don't feel too bad. I have lots to be thankful for this year - Emma being a big part of that, but mostly for how my friends and family rallied around me and opened their arms, too. Thank you, friends :)

Have a happy day (even if it's not Thanksgiving where you are!).

Saucy

• gardeningmary
    13 years ago

Good Morning

A Belated Happy Birthday to Marian and a Happy Thanksgiving to one and all.

We are having a quiet Thanksgiving here just the four of us. It's worked out rather well as I have a rotten cold and cannot taste a thing - dishes could be rather highly seasoned! Despite that, it will be lovely just all being home together and Annie and David are tuning into quite good cooks and will be a big help. We're all going to the movies tonight and seeing friends each day over the weekend. A good slug of wine with the turkey should help send my cold on its way:0)

Again, much to be thankful here, especially you all for still being here and welcoming the missing back.

Mary

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

{{gwi:153237}}From Drop Box

Sorry I missed the day, Marian! Hope it was a wonderful celebration and that you were spoiled appropriately!!!

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

I was to busy yesterday to check in. I'm thankful to have had family and friends to share our meal and day. Today I am thankful to sit and enjoy quite time. LOL

Sleet yesterday and cold cold this morning. I'm trying to work up the nerve to go walk. Maybe I will just walk farther tomorrow when the weather moderates.

Bug nice surprise that DS will be or is home.

Cyn what a pretty picture for Marian.

Mary, feel better soon.

Kathy we had a lot of rain the last couple of days. After such a long dry spell the ground was so hard a lot of it just ran off. I am anxious to go to the creek and see what transpired.

Saucy, I need to find a cheese shop. I was looking for Guyere (sp) the other day and couldn't find any.

Norma

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!