Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denisez10

Idyll #341 Happy for all the good news

denisez10
16 years ago

Marian truly summed up the spirit of the idylls: "Happy for all the good news, and sad with you that have sad news."

Happy 75th birthday, Marian!

{{gwi:185817}}

And for Saucy's birthday, the garden fairies left their tutus behind after scuba diving in the pool (or reviving holiday cabbages)

{{gwi:185819}}

Comments (103)

• Marian_2
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

LOL, Mary ! You got me ! I 'did' think the standing back view was Saucy...just because of what you said. ( Sorry Saucy ). I knew which one was her in the framed pic.

My lazer surgery wasn't as pleasant as the one on the right eye. That eye wasn't dilated, but today the nurse REALLY dilated the left one ! Now it hurts, and my face and sinus on that side hurts....darn ! I had to return to the optometrist's office to have the pressure checked...about an hour after the zapping. My next appointment is the 13th.

Mary, (again), How nice to get 2 pretty bead necklaces. I am debating what to spend my BD check from my sister on. I always like to get something that lasts...that won't wear out.

Martie, I am familiar with 'powder' snow, but not 'sugar'. I can't recall what we called the moist type that made good snowmen but stuck to the bottom of skis and sleds ! I sure remember trying to drag the snow-caked sled home from the grocery store with the groceries on it. I don't know why my brother and I, who were the youngest of the 5, were saddled with that job. We had to go over raised railroad tracks with the load ! I hope that didn't contribute to my lifelong ailments. :-(

I guess I need to look at the link Marie posted, of Reed. I never did get past the one of the dog licking his face....:-( I guess I keep thinking of what all else they lick !!!!

Eden, I'm glad all is fairly okay with you. Thanks for the BD wishes. Here's hoping Bella's cold doesn't last long.

Marian

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

(whoosh!!!!!) did anyone else see that week zip by?

Life has been interesting here - DS was less than honest with us when he was home, returned to school and then crashed emotionally the next morning. After several phone calls, DH and I decided to head down there. Thank God my boss had no issues with me taking off on little notice! Anyway, we helped him tackle the issues and straighten out the bumpy road. The kid who saw no alternative to dropping out of school Monday morning has now turned things around and is plowing ahead. It won't be a stellar semester, but it WILL be a semester.

Now I need to empty the dishwasher, conjure dinner and read this idyll! More later,

V.

• triple_creek
    16 years ago

Eden, So good to know that you are ok. I understand the absence, but was worried. Poor Bella, I hate it when the little ones are sick. I bet she will want to read all the christmas books everyday for awhile.

Loved Reeds video clip. I can't believe how fast he is growing and accomplishing things. I can see where Indy could be quite handy in the cleanup department. LOL I think it's pretty clever he knows to give kisses.
    All the dog surgery pictures have got me jumpy. I'm thinking Rebel is going to be in line for something. He really has trouble getting up and down.
    I hope Katie is doing ok.

I moved more rocks to the work area yesterday, but didn't get a lot accomplished. I developed a headache, probably from digging around in all that leaf mold. Today We went in to the city to meet up with a friend from Kansas City. She just lost her husband a week and a half ago and her brother is in the hospital in St. Louis with heart problems and he doesn't have anyone else to be there for him, so she is getting a double whammy. We had a nice visit while waiting for his peocedure. I had not been in that part of the city for a long while and am very thankful to be back home in the country.
    I have known these people since grade school and spent many nights back and forth between familys and even though we don't see each other often we still have that closeness that comes from knowing someone well.
    I've been typing in the box and have now forgotten what I read above. I think I will post this before I lose it.
    My eyes are tired and I think I will go veg in front of the tv for awhile. Norma

• triple_creek
    16 years ago

I know what I wanted to say. Mary did we miss your birthday? The bead necklaces, just the three of you at home tonight feel like I'm missing something there.

• triple_creek
    16 years ago

The word is procedure in the post above.

• triple_creek
    16 years ago

Wow V. Another storm weathered. I'm glad you could help him get turned around.

• triple_creek
    16 years ago

Just can't quit can I?

Marian I wanted to say I hope the laser treatment was successful. Will you still need to wear glasses? Norma

• denisez10
    Original Author
    16 years ago

'bug, wasn't that a Frank Zappa song? I agree, Martie, it's been a bizarre past couple years, with whatever growth in the U.S. economy based on very little other than people buying and selling each other houses. Now we see where that's got us. I blame Greenspan!

Mary, I was thinking of Smila's Sense of Snow when I wrote that. Saw the movie but haven't read the book. I just might come knocking for some V. bonar. in spring if you have any left.

Marian, I'm writing "skift" into my Merriam-Webster's 10th Ed., with your name in parentheses.

Eden, I came down with a sore throat in the middle of the night, no doubt from the sniffling relatives I encountered over the holiday. Wish someone would read to me! Might drag out some audiotapes instead. I hope you stay healthy, with as much on your plate as you've got going.

What a strange workday, even for me. The witness was cranky, overworked, didn't want to take time out of his busy workday to be deposed, protested he knew nothing about the issues anyway, and was nervous and abrupt with me when I arrived at his place of business, which was about the size of a closet, packing boxes everywhere, shelves of merchandise. I told him I'd wait in my car for the atty to arrive and would get out of his hair, since I understand how these things can be upsetting and time consuming. Atty arrives, we finish the whole deal in 20 minutes, I'm packing up to go, and the witness keeps apologizing for his earlier behavior. Would I take a gift? Just to escape, I finally said sure, no need, but that would be lovely.

Get this. He makes wine-related apparel. Can you read the caption? I can see Deanne serving guests in this apron, with straws in the pocket for the after-dinner concert.

{{gwi:185858}}

As many legs showing is what that kitty has, three. Sweet little tripod cat.

V, my youngest DS would be the one not communicating the fact he's going over Niagara in a teacup, and with my oldest it's usually too much info! Glad to hear things are sorted out for your DS. Norma, sounds like an exhausting day for you, but what a support you are for your friends. G'night all.

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Norma - no you didn't miss my birthday - there are still 3 hours left. Thank you for picking up on my clues;0)

Mary

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

I'm waiting to hear about Marian's eyes as well. I've known someone who had great success with it!

V, my oh my our kids are a challenge at all ages. It took our son over a decade to get through university. I actually give two different girlfriends credit for their encouragement to his finishing at all. There was a long period where he went missing to everyone and I about died of pain. I quit a job simply to be there when he might possibly contact us. I didn't know if he was dead or alive. Eventually he did contact us, I managed to get insurance to cover microsurgery to the tune of many thousands of dollars which he could not pay for, friends got him back in school with more confidence...his advisor, understanding that he was his own worst enemy with his expectations, dropped certain courses from his record and he was eventually given a fresh start. Such drama everywhere. A hard time for his parents as well needless to say. Keeping that communication open is ever so difficult with a private stubborn independent soul. To this day he does not know that we got him a job working on a nearby farm for many months until he realized he was an academic once more. He loved it, but knew he wouldn't love it forever.

Today's book shopping was fun and a success. Only The Enormous Egg was not available, but I can do that on Amazon for less anyway. I managed to find good books on mazes, drawing, how things are made, a "bathroom" book with interesting one page facts to read, books with true animal tales, a wonderful illustrated poem book, baby books....a funny book for DH, and a pond book for Sarah and her DH. I think I'm DONE. DS brought us a Christmas puzzle to complete everything. :)

I bought myself a 2008 calendar which DH mounted inside my cupboard near the phone tonight. I was needing to schedule things beyond the 2007 one...and that's always dangerous!

The thermostat in our back room seems to have died. Upon inspection, it seems to be an illegal one now, using mercury. It will be tricky to dispose of. In any case, I guess tomorrow DH must try to find and install a new one. We came home to find the temperature almost at 80F with the thermostat supposedly turned OFF. Strange indeed.

So tired. Off to early bedrest tonight.
    'bug

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Feeling rather invisible and confused I'm off to bed.

• denisez10
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hope you had a great birthday, Mary!

{{gwi:185859}}

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Oooops ! Happy Birthday Mary !!!! I didn't catch your clue...dum de dum dum ...

My lazer procedure went fine. It is a normal follow-up to cataract surgery. A film frequently grows over the implant,once it is removed all is fine again.
    Lots of people no longer have to wear glasses after their cataracts are removed, but I wasn't one of them. Since I have astigmatism I still have to wear them. I don't mind at all, because I look better with glasses on. They help hide part of my bumpy nose! ( I am totally serious.)
    I'm sure my appointment the 13th is to determine if I need new glasses.

Marie, my brother's first son pulled that disappearing act too. I don't think he got very far with schooling. It seems that he is rather a 48 year old bum. Pretty sad. His mother is/was bipolar. She and my DB had two children. Both are 'differant'. I think they are both living in Hawaii now. DB raised those children by himself for several years, before remarrying. Now the step son has become a liability also....moving in with them. Not good at all, since DB had a triple bypass about a year and a half ago.

I wish my son could have succeeded with his second marriage, but at least he does not expect mom and dad to bail him out ! I think he has inherited the independence from his parents.

An even sadder case than my nephew is Nolon's sister's son. He was another derilect, and was found dead in his house a few years ago, probably from drugs.He was in his mid 40s.

I am afraid I know very few families that do not have at least one disfunctional member.

Ahhh me...sorry to be so morose....

Say goodnight, Gracie...

Marian

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Mary, I couldn't find a suitable picture from the garden but hope this cupcake in its cute teapot wrapper (it reminds me of you!) conveys my best wishes for the happiest of birthdays!

{{gwi:185861}}

Eden

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

How great to see Eden checking in ! Arent we just a big pack of mother hens, wringing our hands and worrying about one of the chicks ? Glad you made an appearance at the coop !

bug , that primrose is just beautiful ! Do you know the cultivar ?

and Denise, what a treat it is whenever you post pics of some of the way cool plant combos you have going. Want Madame Alfred in the worst way. I fear I will have to skip a year in rose acquisitions, but if I play my cards right I will have ample room to expand my inventory. I have to get busy digging up those that will be moving with me. Of the 70 plus I have there are only a couple that are small and not yet established. The rest will stay , and so I start over.

Last night I watched Mary Queen of Scotts had not seen that since it came out ..when was it ? Early 80s maybe ? Glenda Jackson absolutely owned every scene she was in. Out of view for so many years , one forgets how powerful an actress she is. I am going to view Women In Love next week.

Im time challenged this evening, so I will bid you all a goodnight. And of course

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARY !!!!!

{{gwi:185864}}

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

MeToo, Vita and Minou want to join Mary in the festivities. ie: sleep ;-)

{{gwi:185865}}

SLEEP? What's that?
    {{gwi:185866}}

• saucydog
    16 years ago

My dear IU4 roommate!

I am clueless....even with clues! Norma is Sherlock....

I don't send cards to many....relatives included :)

{{gwi:185867}}

Happy Birthday Idyll Friend! (pay close attention, that flower is like crinkled origami paper unfolding :)

Saucy

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Good rose-colored morning! (Red sky in the morning ....) Ugh

Mary: I can say without reservation and somewhat egotistically that you're in good company :-) With Deanne "away" the keeper of the calendar missed. Perhaps we should start a fresh list??????

This is my most prized pic from this year, since the Lavandula angustifolia 'Hidcote' was started from SEED and bloomed the same year!!!!! Happy plant :-) From one England-seed starter to another, Happy Birthday!!

{{gwi:185868}}

Martie

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    16 years ago

Mary - I read those clues last night and wondered.... but it's cold and dark and my mind is working very sluggish these days....

{{gwi:185869}}

Red sky in the morning here this morning too... and fluries is the word repeated constantly in the 5-day forecast.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

TGIF!

Happy Birthday Mary! I can't make a proper greeting for you til I get home tonight but didn't want any more time to pass. Somehow we need to get this whole birthday recognition program back on track. When Cynthia was on it we never missed one. In the files section of the yahoo group T set up way back when, there is an excel document that lists all BDs. If anyone wants a copy of that, send me an e-mail... VTSKIERS at aol.com.

OK, off to deal with inventory and all the related frivolity.

Sue

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday Mary! I found this photo by accident when I was googling ...who knows what... a few days ago. It's a tea farm, isn't it gorgeous?! Please have a cup of tea and enjoy the green.

{{gwi:185870}}

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good Grief! miss a few days and I missed a bunch of birthdays. Without further ado....
    {{gwi:185871}}

{{gwi:185872}}

{{gwi:185874}}

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Birthdays are the best days here!

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Re;Birthdays...
    Janie in Ontario had a BD the 20th.
    A belated Happy Birthday Janie. I miss you !

Katie (gonegardening) in Virginia is today's Birthday girl.
    Happy Birthday Katie ( if you are still 'here').

Sue, long ago I made a list (on cardboard) of all the Idyll members...their locations, their spouses, their children, and their birthdates. I still refer to it occasionally, but apparently not enough. Besides, I don't want to steal the fun from the designated Birthday Reminder.

WOW Cynthia..that pic is beautiful! I'd love to overlook that view.

Marie, Reed gets cuter every day. We have a little fellow in our congragation that hasn't been walking too long, but is extremely active. He is a climber! He is at the stage where no one is a stranger. The other day he clambered up on the place where Nolon always sits ( before Nolon got there)and was busily examining the song books and bibles. I kept telling him "That's a no no". He'd calmly put what he had down, and head for another one. He got farther and farther away from me, with no indication that he was offended by my admonitions, but finally went back to his greatgrandmother. ( She lets him handle whatever he wants too ! ) She keeps him while his mom is at work, but last sunday it was because she has a brand new baby daughter! Her name is Lily Ann...a good old fashioned name. The brother is David.

LOL, Denise. That's funny about your notation in your dictionary. I have a new Reader's Digest Oxford Complete Wordfinder. It is NOT complete. It does not have the word 'skift' in it. I haven't checked all my old dictionaries.

Kathy , what a beautiful display. I espacially love all the chartreuse leaves of pelargoniums and Solanum intermingled with the darker leaves and lovely flowers.

No 'skift of snow' here but I guess you could call it a 'skift of rain' that we are getting ( although I never heard it used that way).

Marian

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Good Morning. It's always so nice to see all of the beautiful Idyll birthday cards. Our snow words for tomorrow are sleet- a mix of snow and rain, and slush- what sleet turns into when it accumulates on the ground. We're also forecast to get freezing rain. Yuck!

Bella's feeling a little better today. No exaggeration that she must have sneezed at least 100 times yesterday. So far 3 sneezes today...

Marian, I googled skift and from what I gathered it seems to be a regional word used mainly in the Ozarks or rural parts of the midwest?

Not much else to contribute but I'm trying to get back in the swing of things here on Idylls. Have a good day everyone.

Eden

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday Mary!
    {{gwi:185875}}

Mary this garden area makes me think of England and you. I hope your day was special.

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

My parents were from the mid-west,(Nebraska and Illinois), so perhaps that is how the word arrived in my remote part of central Idaho. There were no Ozarkians there, that I knew of.
    So glad that Bella is better.

Deanne, I love your bird pics. Thanks!

I have stripped and remade 3 beds so far today. Have a lot more things to get done before company. I got almost all the laundry done yesterday, but now have another load ( of bedding).

I have a large package of jumbo sirloin chops that I am going to make a barbeque casserole with. Hoping the girls will like it. I will also cook up a pot of chicken and noodles. They really went for that the last time here.
    I guess I will make more pumpkin pies for dessert, and a cake.
    If all else fails, I have a large pizza that I can throw into the oven.:-)

Marian

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Wow, what a day yesterday was here at the office. We had a fiber cut by the crew working on the new highway, which put one of our towns out of cable and internet. Fortunately we do have a voice mail system that gives them a message as to whats going on, but many did press 5 to talk to us. TV seems to be a lifeline for many. We went directly from work to a visitation for a 58 year old relative who died of breast cancer after a 7 year struggle. We did a little Christmas shopping on the way back so I didnt get home until 10:30, whew, what a day.

Deanne, I knew you were out with the birds I love the fabulous cards.

Eden, great to have you back. I hope little Bella feels better.

I must get back to work.

Have a great Friday.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

I'm moving to Cynthia's tea farm! Here's what it's like here today. THESE ARE IN COLOUR!

{{gwi:185876}}

{{gwi:185877}}

{{gwi:185879}}

{{gwi:185881}}

{{gwi:185882}}

{{gwi:185883}}

{{gwi:185885}}

• Full_Bloom
    16 years ago

A little birdie told me I should get my butt over here and say "hello". Ive wanted to do that for some time, but it just seemed too overwhelming. I tried to go back and catch up on the Idylls since the last time I was there, but that was in the first week of July! There is no way I could ever catch up... I have missed sooo much (the good things - so many birthdays and so many beautiful birthday cards) and the bad things...

The words are way too late. Still, I cant just let it pass like it doesnt matter...it matters to me and I feel badly for not being there. As I say the words are way too late, but they are genuine. V I was *so* sorry to hear about your brother...I cant even imagine how you get through it, but I know youre brother would be very happy to know that his wife and kids were there with you on Thanksgiving. Im so sorry for you & your familys loss.

Chelone...it was with sadness that I read of your mothers passing. She was *some* kind of woman and you made her very proud...Im *sure* about that. Would I, could I ever be as good a daughter as you have been to your mom...I will be at peace. What I admire most about you (well maybe not most, there is so much to admire) but anyway, what I admire most is that you were always able to hold on to your mom in your heart, always seeing her as a person not a senile old lady....always *recalling* that she was once a young vibrant woman, and always treating her with dignity. You were *there* for her and gave so much (sometimes to your detriment). You have always been and will always be my roll model when it comes to dealing with elderly parents. Mom is in a bad way now, but Im trying to be there for her and trying to remember she *too* was a young, vibrant woman, who deserves to be treated with dignity. I think of you on the most trying days and re-read this poem too, which I keep folded in my wallet....

An Old Lady's Poem

What do you see, nurses;
    What do you see?
    What are you thinking
    When you're looking at me?

A crabby old woman,
    not very wise,
    Uncertain of habit,
    with faraway eyes?

Who dribbles her food
    and makes no reply
    When you say in a loud voice,
    "I do wish you'd try!"

Who seems not to notice
    the things that you do,
    And forever is losing a
    stocking or shoe...

Who, resisting or not,
    lets you do as you will,
    With bathing and
    feeding, the long day to fill...

Is that what you're thinking?
    Is that what you see?
    Then open your eyes, nurse:
    you're not looking at me.
    I'll tell you who I am
    as I sit here so still,
    As I do at your bidding,
    as I eat at your will.

I'm a small child of ten...
    with a father and mother,
    Brothers and sisters,
    who love one another.

A young girl of sixteen,
    with wings on her feet,
    Dreaming that soon now
    a lover she'll meet.

A bride soon at twenty...
    my heart gives a leap,
    Remembering the vows
    that I promised to keep.

At twenty-five now,
    I have young of my own,
    Who need me to guide,
    and a secure happy home.

A woman of thirty,
    my young now grown fast,
    Bound to each other with
    ties that should last.

At forty, my young sons
    have grown and are gone,
    But my husband's beside me
    to see I don't mourn.

At fifty once more,
    babies play round my knee,
    Again we know children,
    my loved one and me.

Dark days are upon me,
    my husband is dead;
    I look at the future,
    I shudder with dread.

For my young are all rearing
    young of their own,
    And I think of the years
    and the love that I've known.
    I'm now an old woman...
    and nature is cruel;
    'Tis jest to make old age
    look like a fool.

The body, it crumbles,
    grace and vigor depart,
    There is now a stone
    where I once had a heart.

But inside this old carcass
    a young girl still dwells,
    And now and again
    my battered heart swells.

I remember the joys,
    I remember the pain,
    And I'm loving and living
    life over again.

I think of the years...
    all too few, gone too fast,
    And accept the stark fact
    that nothing can last.

So open your eyes,
    nurses, open and see,
    Not a crabby old woman;
    look closer...see ME!!

Also Eden, I just wanted to tell you how my heart goes out to you and mom...well your whole family, of course. I know these arent easy times for any of you. I hold good thoughts and am sending my positive vibes that your mom will have many *good* days yet to come. I admire her and her strength and will. In March it will be *2 years* since my sis was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. I feel so lucky and grateful to have had this time...its truly been a blessing. And even though my sis and I have always been close, we are closer now than ever. P.S. I hope Bella the Ball is feeling more like the princess she is! :-)

Was also sorry to hear about Katies challenges, but happy to hear that she made it through the surgery. Keeping positive thoughts and wishes that Katie has lots of "roo" days!

And on a happy note....Happy Birthday Marian! :-) Reading the joy in your voice brought a smile to my face....Im *so* glad you had such a nice Thanksgiving.

{{gwi:185887}}Hey! Whaddaya mean I *stole* that picture?! Well, it's one of my favorite birdie pics (along of course, with *all* of Deanne's stunning pics) that I just had to post it. Besides, every time I look at it I am reminded of you! :-)

Happy Birthday Mary! Im sorry I missed your day....hope it was Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious!!! I know...Im a cornball...sorry! :-)

{{gwi:185888}}
    P.S. A Happy Birthday to Saucy too! There are so many birthdays I missed (including my own...LOL) that theres no way I could post all the cards...but I *do* wish all whos birthday I missed...a very belated, but "Happy Birthday!" In any case, I sure have enjoyed all the birthdays cards for everyone...just beautiful! Though Ive only been scanning so far, I must say there are always such beautiful posts here. Deanne, you are *amazing* as always and in all ways! I was also quite struck by Denisezs sons image of the mantel and urns...stirs up a romantic, yet restful feeling...beautiful! Well, as I say, all the pics here are wonderful!

Tweet, Tweet! :-) Youre right Bug....Idyll birthdays are the best! :-) BTW, thanks for the line and thanks for sharing all the great pics of Reed! Dont know if this is the proper word to use for a boy (and he *is* all boy)...but I have often been struck by what a *beautiful* baby he is....such a wonderful complexion and a megawatt smile....No wonder youre a besotted grandma! :-) Oh and a big congratulations to Lynn and family! Shes a lovely lady and I was just tickled to see her smiling "proud gramma" face! :-)

Okay, a little about me...son is happily married! :-) Heres a couple of my favorite pics...

I *love* this picture of the "so in love" couple! :-)

{{gwi:185889}}
    And heres me sharing a special moment with my son...love this picture too! :-)

{{gwi:185890}}

See Michelle, I told you I was quite taken and inspired by your beautiful dress! :-)

Lets see what else has been happening....tons...but wont get to it all today.

Well, I am sporting two purple knees, a purple elbow and forearm and two purple boobs! No, I havent gotten into body painting...LOL! A couple of days ago Scout was laying in the middle of the darkened hall and I didnt see him....I did a spectacular vault...flying into the air. Unfortunately my landing was less than stellar and I did a "belly flop" onto the hard wooden floor with the bottle of water I was carrying, dumped unceremoniously all over the floor and on me. Luckily Scout seemed to know the landing would not be good and he quickly made a bee line out of harms way. If I had landed on him...he would have been squashed like a bug.

Last week-end Paul treated me to the theatre...I was very pumped because we havent been to a play in such a long time. The name of the play was "What the Butler Saw".....wouldnt you think it would be a mystery? Well, I sure did. Paul told me it was a comedy/mystery, at least that was what he had gathered. Paul & I were commenting as we were being seated what luck to have "front row seats!" Well, imagine my shock and surprise when a girl appeared on stage in the first act...*nude*. Apparently "the Butler" saw plenty, and many times too! Okay, the girl was covered up by her own arms and legs...but my Gosh! I had no idea! And it only got worse....there were men on stage in their under drawers! One seemed to be obscenely gifted and I cant say if that was a prop or not as I kept my eyes diverted... Wouldnt you know the *one time* we get lucky enough to have front and center seats! Ive never thought of myself as a prude, but really, the only other man (up to this point) Ive ever seen in his drawers so "up close and personal" was my husband! I was *so* uncomfortable. If I was there alone I would have walked out, but Paul took us to the play as a treat for me and I didnt want to insult him or hurt his feelings and *he* wasnt getting up. There was silence as we left the theatre all the way until we got into the car. Then neither of us could hold it in anymore....we both burst out in hysterical laughter....were so mature and wordly! :-) Oh well, at least it was a night out and we certainly did get a good laugh out of it! :-)

Okay, I wasnt going to share this, but I wanted to show you something else Ive been up to. One of the most important love affairs of my life seems to be coming near an end. My dear, sweet Scout isnt doing too well. I wanted to do something special...to always have him with me. I decided to do a collage and didnt want to wait until later....I didnt think I could do it later. Im just working on it. It will be about 3 by 4 feet when Im finished and I will hang it in the hallway. Anyway, here is what I have so far... Ive never done much drawing in my life and I dont know how I did a drawing of him so well (divine intervention I think) but Im very happy to have it.

{{gwi:185891}}

Anyway, I never mean to make my posts so long, so I think Ill cut out right now. Just wanted to say "Hi" to everyone. I cant promise I will post as regularly as I would like, but I can promise the next time will be shorter and sooner than the this time.

TTYL! Eileen

P.S. I have spent some time over at YouTube. I love that place...I find videos all the time that I never imagined I could find. Late at night when I cant sleep I go over there and watch some Groucho Marx...he never fails to make me laugh...I think Chelone enjoys him too? In any case I've added a link to one of my faves Lydia the Tattooed Lady:

Oh, and heres a couple more...I've never been able to figure out how to add more than one link, so you'll have to copy and paste these two....

This one is for Sue & Chelone and all you other "air release" admirers:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-RfcvusQWA

And heres one in honor of the visitor Im expecting tomorrow:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXtdU6tD8-Q

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Eileen !!!! How great to 'see' you, not only in words, but even a pic! I am so happy about your son's wedding, and wish them a good long happy marriage.
    It's funny, but I always scroll to the bottom of the page when I open the Idyll threads, and as I started working my way back up I thought " This HAS to be Eileen!"
    Hey ! You did not steal that bluebird picture. You are most welcome to it. I am glad I took it when I did, as that twig is no longer there. I have no good perch so visible from the house anymore.
    Do come back for good, and keep us all cheered up. :-)

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Thanks Ei! We needed you back!
    What a handsome son and beautiful Mom!

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Just very quickly a warm thank you for all my beautiful cards. Every one of them means the world to me. And Ei - having you back again makes them even more special. I'll be back later to enjoy your post afater the evenings activities are over. You've been greatly missed but how wonderful to hear from you again.

Mary

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

As promised...
    {{gwi:185892}}

• triple_creek
    16 years ago

{{gwi:185894}}

• triple_creek
    16 years ago

{{gwi:185896}}

• triple_creek
    16 years ago

{{gwi:185897}}

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Tomorrow is red ribbon day. I'll be wearing mine. Many of us know one of the millions affected in some way by AIDS. My cousin was one.

• triple_creek
    16 years ago

How good to see a post from you Ei. I'm sorry to hear Scout isn't doing well. Thats a tough one.

Love the wedding photos. I can see how happy they are.

Sorry to hear your mom is having such a rough time. I enjoyed the poem though.

I hope you will continue to pop in. No need to catch up with us all.

I have been absolutly lazy today. Nothing to report here.

Bug, you can keep the snow. Brrrr... Nice pics though. I've not seen that gate before. I like it.
    I should be hoping for some snow here to help out our moisture shortage, but I would rather have rain. No ice please. Ack , have to be careful what I wish for.
    What a tough time it must have been when your son went missing. Thank goodness he is doing well now.

Michelle, DH is addicted to that darn tv. Drives me nuts.

Bella, drink lots of fluids and be well.

Deanne is that a baby bird in Marians card? I'm asking because of the fuzzy head.

I hope everyone had a more productive day than I did.
    I better get an early start tomorrow. LOL Norma

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Came home late today, having been in Healdsburg for My Last Ever Inventory (and what a great feeling that is I can tell you). One of my inventory control colleagues said to me as I was leaving tonight that he had some of my clipboards and would return them to me next week. I told him Honey, those are *your* clipboards now! And of couse we had a bit of a debacle (I would have to go out in flames of course) with IT issues. Any of you who have worked in retail, or had a service (i.e. RGIS) come in to do your counts could probably relate to what we went through today-a file mix up that put the counts for one location into another locations inventory. It was pretty ugly, but all is well now. And my feet are killing me ! I dont usually have problems with being on my feet all day , but the floors in this particular facility are concrete . So, as soon as I got home I poured a glass of wine , put on my fuzzy slippers and sat down at the computer and what a treat ! All the great B-day cards and a post from Eileen ! Love the Mary Poppins action there Ei

Marian, Im afraid I cant take credit for that lovely container arrangement in Marys card..I took that pic in May at Fergusons Fragrant Nursery near St Paul Oregon. If you ever get a wild hair and decide to visit your bro in Albany, this nursery is well worth a trip ! I took numerous pictures of their container garden area. They have a nice business potting up theses fabu-fabu containers and selling them to municipalities and the like.

bug, I loved your snow photos. Very elegant looking. I can only imagine how you were dressed to take these pics ( wimpy California perspective ) . My best friend George died of AIDS about 15 years ago. I still think of him almost every day-our childhoods were very entwined.

Norma, my late DH was addicted to TV too. We picked out our last two houses so that I would have a place to go to get away from it , lol. Now it is on only for baseball games, and I have Netflix so when it isnt baseball season I watch 1 or two movies a week.

Cynthia, that tea-farm is just spectacular-is it in Asia ? Hope Katies doin ok ?

Eileen, I call that dress color lobelia blue, and I remember the pic of Michelle in hers. I have a dress this color with black polka dots. I love polka dots ! Your story of the risqué theater experience made me chuckle. I remember how anxious some of my friends and I were when we went to see Hair in the late 60s knowing that there was a brief nude scene. We survived ! Especially since it lasted all of about 5 seconds.
    Your Scout collage is lovely-did you really draw that pic ? I think its great !

Wow Martie, I have never tried to grow lavender from seed. You are justifiably proud. What kind of a winter regimen do you have with lavs ? Do you have to put a pile of mulch around them or what ?

OK, time to sign off and go read the papernite all

Kathy in Napa

• Full_Bloom
    16 years ago

Thanks Marian for the good wishes for Paul & Christy! They really are well-matched and share so many of the same interests. They just got a new puppy and shes adorable....a Keeshond? Not sure of the spelling. Anyway, she is just one big ball of soft fluff, who likes to cuddle! :-) Scouts not all that interested in her and not too happy to see her visiting either. His age and arthritis make him intolerant of rambunctious puppies these days. Funny story...a neighbor came by to show me her two young dogs...Lhaso? (I think). Well they were leashed, but they wanted to play with Scout so bad, they kept tugging on the leash to try to get to him. I told Nancy that Scout doesnt like being jumped on, so she made sure the puppies couldnt reach him. Anyway, were all sitting in the livingroom and the puppies would lunge to get a Scout and every time they did hed curl his lip in the most hysterical way, as if to say "Go away kid, you bother me". I am certain he wouldnt bite (he has never done so in all his life, even times when I would have understood if he did). Anyway, Scout decided he had enough of these little guys and walked about 10 feet from us and turned his back on us....too hilarious. He would not turn around and look at me again until the puppies left...LOL! Sorry you dont have any good "perching branches" nearby. Did you see any bluebirds this year? My mom & dad had them as visitors all the time in Tennessee, but I have never seen them here. Exciting summer though, as I saw more than a few hummingbirds in my garden this year. They are amazing little balls of energy!

LOL Kathy...well I wouldnt have been so uncomfortable if it had been a few minutes or if I were further back at the theatre. There were men in their underwear for nearly the whole 2 hour play and I was so close, I could have literally reached out and touched them....too close for my comfort...LOL! Yes, long story, but I never think of Mary Poppins that I dont think of our dear Mary. Yes, I find it hard to believe too LOL...but I really *did* draw that pics...see my initials at the bottom? :-)

More gorgeous pics for the birthday girls...I love it.

Norma...I agree your pond is very special...I have always admired the way you have it planted....it looks so natural, like it had no human intervention. I try to strive for that, but mostly fail. When things "look natural" here its because I havent got out to weed...LOL!

Speaking of things looking natural...Hi Sue! Lovely pic. Youre landscape & gardens are always spectacular...you have the best bones (the garden ones I mean though Im sure your own bones are just fine too....LOL!) Speaking of which I meant to tell you...I took your advice to heart and *finally* dug out that last little strip of lawn in the front yard dry river bed. You were so right...it already looks so much better. In the spring Ill think about what to plant. Im thinking some Japanese Iris and maybe some of Bug's Primula.

Bug, what was that primula that you had that you said spread so nicely? Thanks too for the reminder. I just read some tragic statistics after seeing your post:

"Poverty is both a cause and consequence of HIV/AIDS. The impact of the disease is disproportionately high in the developing world, which is home to more than 95 percent of the estimated 40 million people infected with HIV/AIDS -
    There are over 28 million people in Africa are suffering from AIDS." So sorry to hear that it touched your family in such a personal way. I sure hope that a cure will come soon!

Okay...now onto some ha-ha stuff....thought you guys would enjoy the link below. Maybe you have to have been raised Catholic to truly appreciate the humor...but I thought this was hilarious!

Have a great day all! Eileen

• denisez10
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Weekend greetings, and hello Ei! What nice posts to wake up to. I remember as a kid inventing sins for confession. I knew it was a sin to think I didn't have ANY sins, lol, so I'd invent a few venial sins for the padre then be on my way. A lie to declare for the next confession, at least. What a tortuous thing a Catholic childhood can be. Some of the idylls reminisced a few months back over the fishnet-stocking rebellion phase with the Catholic uniform.

Just a quick hello, leaving with some color to counterbalance the somber but beautiful winter tracery of 'bug's lovely photos. DS was doing pro bono photography work (sigh) for the Carpenter Center in Orange County, an Indian dance troupe. If there's any undeclared birthdays out there, this one's for you! There's some lobelia/gentian blue, saffron, fuchsia...still think puppets are a little creepy, tho...

{{gwi:185898}}

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

TGIS!!!!! The first week back to work after a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday was exhausting. I know for next year to be prepared for the onslaught :-)

So good to see you, Ei!! The dress is stunning, and so is the couple :-)

Lavs are notoriously easy to start from seed, Kathy. You might never be sure exactly what will come up since they cross easily, too, but they are fun. I don't do anything special for winter except site the tenderer-in-Z6 ones (L. x intermedia's in particular) in protected spots. Lavs hate wet feet, so I actually pull mulch away so that they don't get iced in. With hoped for luck, I'll be trialing a few next summer and am looking forward to getting back into that swing.

Also, Kathy, sorry to hear of your inventory trials. I can almost see you thumbing your nose at the whole enchilada from here :-)

Sue: What is the plant to the far right in your pic with the blueish opposite foliage?

Saw your winter pics and gasped at the last one, Marie. Card material there, without a doubt.

I've decided to take a huge plunge and invest in an already done 36" ivy cone-shaped topiary for the Holidays. Many failed attempts at starting (actually maintaining ;-)) my own still makes me hesitate to spend three figures on a house plant, but when a garden center person calls and says "you've gotta have one of these" one responds, right?? LOL

Flurries here this morning. Just a fairy dusting but fun to wake up to!

Kids enroute from the cul-de-sac for annual gingerbread man day. Yes, even the three 12- year-olds. Glad they feel "safe" here to still be kids.

Martie

• chelone
    16 years ago

I'm with Deanne! ya miss a coupladaze and you're running to catch the bus... with all the Idyllers making faces at you from the rear windows. Not really...

I just picked up the "bread crumb trail", Miss Mary. I SUPPOSE I'll have to flounder through the largely unorganized picture files to find something to mollify you... ;) Happy birthday!

Marian, good to know the surgery went well, in spite of the initial discomfort. Maybe we should start calling you "Hawkeye"? Note to self: find out what "skift" means... have no clue (could have "blown" past it during my semi-frantic "turbo skim", though).

V., isn't it amazing what level heads and a different perspective can do to assist someone who is feeling overwhelmed? Proof positive that parenting is a never ending process, it simply morphs as the years pass. Do you know I STILL haven't found that silly Ginkgo fruit that rolled under the passenger seat of my car?! spring's acomin' (so they say) and I wonder how it will smell then?

Denise, you set the "way back machine" and I'll be there... "watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow...". LOL! I haven't really thought about the estimable Mr. Zappa for several years now. But anyone who flouts "political correctness" is generally someone I like because they "lock the radar on" the very essence of parody. Pass the "zircon encrusted tweezers", willya? :) I am reminded of the day, a year/two ago, that I returned home to find the helpmeet's name carefully written in the fresh snowbank next to the door... , that's my boy! (Is that Ein in the picture? he's pretty cute... for a dog). Ahh, there is also, "coHn snow", the result of spring conditions... warming during the extended daylight hours and then refreezing to leave big, crumbly crystals the next morning. I can't recall what sort of wax the "skinny ski" crowd recommends for it... but used to hear it during the ski report when I was a 'teen in the wilds of Cow Hampshire. ;)

So nice to hear from Eden! Didn't Kathy just peg it perfectly? we certainly ARE a flock of biddies. We scratch around the dooryaHd, clucking about "nothing", when in actuality we cluck about very important things, but the importance of it is only revealed much later. And we worry when one of the flock "goes missing". Having been AWOL before, myself, I understand. I'm sorry Bellatheball has been under the weather; but I'm sure snuggling and stories with you was the best "cherry elixir" going! (it was when Mum administered it to me). I'm also sorry your Mom is not quite herself. I'm sure you're worried and please know I understand and think of you often. It's nice to hear your voice again.

Ei., I brushed a few tears away reading what you wrote to me. I wish there was something I could say to you to make what you're watching easier. All I can say is that I understand how hard it is, evaporation takes a fair piece of time. "Ya plays tha hand what's dealt ya", kid; and there is no way of knowing what the cards will be. You do the best you're able to get "things in order" and keep your life as "normal" as it can be for as long as you're able. Some days you do a GREAT JOB, other days you lose your temper, you yell, and you say things you wish you hadn't. And then you collect yourself, apologize, and TRY HARDER. I suppose it's the way you dealt with your own kids... but I wouldn't know. And when it's all finished you sit numbly and wonder if it really happened, at all. You replay all the bad days with tears, regret, and doubt. And then you collect yourself, remind yourself that you are "only human, afterall" and you forgive yourself for those resentful "bad days". Because you CAN'T change what's already passed, and if you wallow in it you will soon forget the FUN and lose the remaining half of shared memories that only the two of you made together. But 'tain't easy. Here's something to consider: when I started caring for Mum here there was very little mention of caring for a failing relative at home. Now, it seems, there is a news story about it every other day... interesting how times change so quickly, huh? Try to stay out of Scout's way, willya?

Martie, I haven't checked out the Village, yet. How are you sharing it with Kyle this year? I love the kids coming over, too. Esp. the 12 year olds. I feel very strongly that kids aren't allowed to be kids nearly long enough. Mum always said that you have to work harder to draw out the "kid" in the pre and barely teen years. She always did it with fun "projects" like papier mache, baking, planting seeds, etc.. And we read to each other until I into high school, alternating chapters. Makes me smile.

Kathy... more info. on Mary, Queen of Scots, please! from "Elizabeth R" or a different movie? You KNEW I'd hone in on that, didn't you? Congrats on the final inventory, it's a milestone.

'bug, your "color" photos are wonderful. I suspect the landscape will have a similar pall over it in a few days' time. I'm not ready, but what does that matter? You might try a website called, "Alibris" for the out of print books. I've found some long-lost and oft missed friends there. Very useful and affordable! check it out.

As for finances... a pet peeve of mine, too; though my neo-Victorian propensities and Puritan roots should give you some indication on which side of the fence I sit! It comes down to two things, "need" and "want"; it's really that simple. You take care of "need" first and foremost and then indulge "want". I love Aesop, think of the fable of the "Grasshopper and the Ant" whenever I hear the stories of woe from people who want it all now... (hey 'bug, how about a nice book of the fables for Skyler?!). There is nothing wrong with "want", but there is everything wrong with indulging it to the exclusion of "need". Lest I sound too pedantic and harsh, I DO understand how easy it can be to find yourself "behind the 8 ball"! an expensive car repair, medical emergency... . But carrying a balance on a credit card because you indulge "want" too much is fool's folly; "livin' large" by borrowing against next week's pay is the shortcut to ruin. JMO. (Mum and DAD are smiling and applauding right now).

We were out on ladders on the south side of the house this morning. ;) Taking down the awnings, lol. We've been so busy we have put it off endlessly. The impending storm was the impetus to get it done. I'm thinking Santa might just deliver a second extension ladder for Christmas (along with boxer briefs, wool socks, and warm winter clothing. Speaking of winter clothing: I bought my first pair of Merrell "Jungle Mocs" the other day! I LOVE THEM. My boss swears by them, the helpmeet loves his and I've held off for 3 yrs. now. What a fool was I! :)

I am thinking of Katie-kins and Cynthia... and want to say hi to Norma (much overlooked, for which I apologize).

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Greetings from the house where green icing on the ceiling is not only accepted but somewhat encouraged.

We had a blast.

The Village post came up as a surprise to me, and I feel badly that I've not yet answered the kind person's questions. It is from last year. Since no one else touches the village, it'll be interesting to see the combo of the Village and jet lag.

Nice to Idyll the day by ....

Martie

• chelone
    16 years ago

Ahh, Martie... I realized that when I pulled up the thread. :(

How about you share a brief history with us, so when we go back and look again we'll understand more...

I'm procrastinating, I have greens to "condition" before I can begin the pediments. Not a bad task, but one that rates slightly below seeing if any one of the "brood" has checked in and reported any "news"...

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Snow here today. I bagged my shopping trip once I got a look at the bad drivers on the roads.

I spent ALL DAY yesterday in the city with friends. The excuse was a seminar that one friend organized and another spoke at. Although the seminar ended shortly after noon, we didn't catch the train home until 8:30 pm. Wonder why I'm tired today???

I'm delinquent in birthday wishes, but I'm going to beg another 48 hours grace and then I will catch up. Besides, my typing is incredibly bad right now!

Time to put this idyll to bed. Glad to hear from Ei and Eden.

Now how about Honey?

V.

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Checking in now....

Just back from a show. I know nothing about showing dogs, so this was a hoot. Hair driers, snippers and combs furiously being applied to pooches of all kinds. Couldn't even identify the breeds. One was a Mudi- I'd never heard of it, and it was really unusual with a very fox like head, curly coat and wound up tail! Here are the Bouviers.
    {{gwi:185901}}

Look who caught my eye! This is 4 month old Missy. Her Mom is the sister of Lizzie, the mother of our future pup. The Dad is Keiji, the same as ours! So this sweetheart is very like what we hope for on Dec22nd! We've asked for leaving the ears natural though. Needless to say I so wanted to bring her right home and so did DH!

Missy
    {{gwi:185903}}

Thanks for sharing the Orange County Dance troupe! I love the colour! An aunt of mine (Hungarian) was a great puppeteer and even wrote a bit about the art. A gardening friend (also in our book club) is also a puppeteer. Like clowns, don't always expect sweet & comfortable characters!
    Later my friends,
    'bug

• chelone
    16 years ago

All I can clearly see is YOU, g-damnit, 'bug!

I see clipped ears and a lot of "black".

Conisder me unimpressed, though no less THRILLED that YOUR'RE thrilled about this puppy to come!

I'm always going to be the annoying advocate for, "the pound". But you already knew that... didn't you? ;)

I fear old Flo. is not long for this world. Very thin, drinking a lot, frequent "box" trips. I see the signs and know that the end is near. I hope she succumbs in her sleep, but worry that I will have to put my foot down and require that she be euthanized. Send your good wishes that she dies in her sleep, WILLYA?

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

I will indeed!!!! D**N IT! Why do they have to go?

Yes Chelone, natural ears for my pet! And yes, I agree about the pound in theory...except that DD was mauled by her pound animal - and I'm in love with the breed. If I were even a decade younger I'd consider a rescue Bouvier, but correcting another owner's failings is very hard work.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm