Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerri_okc

#463 The Thanksgiving Idyll

Jerri_OKC
14 years ago

I'm thankful for imaginary Idyll friends. I'm thankful this is a virtual FRIDAY! What are you thankful for?

Jerri

Comments (102)

• ctlavluvr
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Happy Tuesday to All!

Candy - Thought you'd get a kick out of the fact that a family member was part of the original "healthy things" pic email: ">> Please note---9 and 22 are Libby--- For those who don't know Libby is my 7 yr old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel---love---PatWhat a small world the web makes!!

Marian -- The obvious delight you have with Nellie is just a marvelous thing! She sounds like quite the woman and must really adore Tim to come all the way from Alaska to see him. Had they met face to face before? I'm hopeful that their relationship finds a path to happiness for all involved, especially you!

Kathy -- Your Camellia is humbling, as I have a three year old little Logee's start that's just starting to throw its first round of bloom. Since its name is "April Tryst" I guess its supposed to bloom in April. Friends have said to treat it as a Rhody and that I will. Also supposed to be hardy to Z6 but until it gets its roots it'll stay in the pot where it's content. Right along with Eucs, I have West Coast envy!!!! Please, please, please post pics when yours blooms. Take it easy on that back, friend!!

'bug - Must say, with a slight bit of 'should I tell 'bug' involved, that the first thing I thought when I saw the Ivy over the chair pic was how much she'll enjoy Reed's Playground. Her Mom looks better than I've seen for a long time. Some very strong folks, for sure.

Julie -- HOORAY!!!!!! You know my advocate heart is just overflowing for you and TCS and the rest of the family. I'll bet he is going to just blossom out of his skin with his new tools, both tangible and not. GOOD FOR YOU to not give up and do what needed to be done and make sure that the folks in charge LISTENED TO YOU AND RESPONDED! As much as you can muster, please don't be afraid of the meds. My nephew has used similar formulas for years and years (he was actually in one of the trials) and no adverse affects have come from it except for, yes you guessed it, the occasional inability to sleep. At age 22, he has said numerous times that it's a small price since he knows himself that he'd be pretty non-functional without them. That DS is on the same med is right in line with recent genetic findings. I am just so happy for all of you that you are on a much better path, and please keep us up to date with progress!

There's more, I'm sure, that I should write this morning, but I'm back to work and very happily busy. Everyone have a great day!

Martie

• deanneart
    14 years ago

A quick good morning to all,

So happy all had a nice Thanksgiving. And Im loving all the pics. Kathy, your autumn colors are so beautiful.

The kind comments re the Thanksgiving table and Jay shot are much appreciated. Thanks all.

V. and Julie, the contest was the monthly photo competition on Bird Forum, no prize except the pic is posted in the permanent winners gallery.

Mary, hoping to see a photo of your crewel project.

Martie, that centerpiece is hand carved from a gourd. My dear friend bought it for me at a crafts store in ME.

V. love the Chicago pics especially the Solitude image! Lovely!

OK must run, have a great day all
    Deanne

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Good morning

Marian - I loved reading about Tim and his new companion. She sounds a treasure! Glad you had such a good time together.

Woody - David would swoon if he were presented with those oysters. Raw oysters are one of his favorite things in the world to eat. I used to love them, but had an evening when I consumed too much vodka and raw oysters together and have never felt quite the same about them. Vodka on the other hand I have no aversion too.

Julie - what progress you have made helping TCS - congratulations to you!! Hope things continue to look up for him. You would have been proud of the number of Julie jobs I accomplished before the holidays:0)

Today the chickens had their first encounter with snow. Two were very excited and came tumbling out of the henhouse, thinking the snow was food and pecking everywhere. The others were more cautious, clucking away together and not quite brave enough to venture out.

The one problem I will have is that the snow brought down my bird netting that protects the girls from the hawks. I will have to rethink how to keep them safe. Instead of floating on the trees the net was weighed down to 3 ft from the ground and I had to tunnel under to get to the henhouse like a gopher.

Yesterday my return to work was brightened with another homemade gluten-free cake and a bag containing a gift certificate to my favorite wool shop, some hand made gluten free recipe cards and a selection of poems. Considering I have only worked at this school since September my colleagues have got to know me very well. I was touched.

Hope there is something that brightens each of your days.

Mary

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Julie, maybe you have an inkling about how pleased I am with the very rapid successes TCS is having? His father must be happy as well as he really understands the frustrations involved. Anyway, HUGS to all!

Martie, never worry about "should I tell" as far as Reed is involved. He is a very real part of our lives. Yes, DD & DSIL are remarkable. They make a point of laughing and crying together, always addressing issues. They will spend a maximum of 10 minutes on ugly issues and then move on. They are indeed very strong, but realize life is short and they are going to enjoy it! Of course there are very tough Reed moments, but sweet ones as well. Ivy is a joy and, as they promised each other, they love her no less than her brother.

We have snow here this morning...but now it is time to feed DH!

'bug

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Happy December, all.

Love the pics everyone has posted. That Ivy certainly is a pip. She will keep everyone hopping once she is truly mobile.

Spent the weekend cleaning closets. Such a good feeling to have everything organized. Now, if I could just get to the piles of papers everywhere and the guest room full of the detritus of my childhood...

I have had a little shadow here at school all day-huge behavior issues, so he has been out of the classroom working with me. With luck, he will be better behaved tomorrow in order to stay in class and I'll be able to go into my classes to work with my other kiddoes. We'll see about the next day. I am not entirely hopeful. Have to come up with some way to get him to control himself. His teacher is ready to quit teaching and it is only her second year! I have suggested she move to another school next year-this one makes for a tough job.

No more time. Catch you all later.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Julie, how wonderful that the medication has helped TCS so much. That is the amazing thing about ADD and meds. When it is truly ADD, the meds work wonders. Nothing less than a miracle and just think what a difference it will make in his self-esteem! Also glad to hear of the accommodations the school is giving him. As a special ed teacher and a parent of an ADD kiddo, I am dancing with joy for all of you!

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Oh dear, have I been away too much and become a poor idyller of late? Hopefully the new computer will change that - arrival expected sometime next week.

I'm experimenting this year by growing my paperwhites in a mix of alcohol and water. Research shows the flowers are the same size and just as fragrant, but stems are 1/3 shorter and less floppy. My first batch are almost ready to open and I'm looking forward to seeing the results. Has anyone tried this?

Mary

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

I woke up (late) to a gorgeous moon, setting outside our bedroom window. I think this will be our last warm day of the year, somewhere around 50F!

Paperwhites that don't flop? If it works Mary, post the percentages!

My server isn't allowing me to post photos now, but later I'll have another puppet or two to show you. I've got carried away with these...

Yesterday I was on a mission to collect "inexpensive" awards for members of our organization. I managed to find 5 that suit the people well, but have another 10 or so to locate still. I think I have almost finished with family gifts. Next, wrapping them!

Phoebe is doing well, but very antsy about not having her freedom to run and jump about.

Later sisters,
    'bug

• candy_j
    14 years ago

Im feeling somewhat abashed about the pet photo connection with your family member, Martie! I received those (there were25) in an email that had been forwarded more times than I wanted to count; everyone loves to share pet pix and they do tend to circulate the web with regularity. Knowing one a day would be fun here, I impulsively posted without thought to ownership! Thinking I should hold off posting anymore until I learn some web etiquette from my techy sisters, lol.

Mary, have you had any inspiration as to the netting? Just what you need at this time of year - a spur of the moment outside job! Cant visualize how big the area is but you did mention trees so at least you have some structure to work with. Would it be possible to build some kind of lightweight frame using furring stripsa staple gun to secure the netting over it? No fun working in cold weather so maybe you can rig something quickly, like a lattice panel for a quick fix to keep the girls safe.
    Nice to hear about those thoughtful gifts you were given, a positive sign youre in the right place!

Very happy for your news, Julie! Cyn is correct, when the meds are right its the wonder drug. Most of all, Im glad your little TCS has a great weight of frustration and dread lifted from his school day.

Kathy, I hear you on the buddleia trunk! Last summer, I dug out a Black Lace Sambucus that was only 3 years in the location and could not believe the root system. I could literally see my perspiration dripping off and hitting the soil as I labored over that gnarly trunk before going in to search out my sweatband. I vote for the hitch.

Laughing at the pic of Ivy doing the chair gymnastics; they are so flexible! A few weeks ago we were at a picnic and I decide to test my arm strength on the monkey bars (dropped like a stone on the 3rd one!) and climb the jungle gym justwell, because. It was invigorating and satisfying to know I still have enough agility to keep the FuddyDuddy label off me, however!woke up the next day and found bruises on the back of my thighs where I sat on the rungs too long. LOLyou cant fool the skin!

Must head out for weekly supplies and menus so I can begin gift shopping tomorrow. Did I mention we have 2 December birthdays to keep things extra lively this month?

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Too tired to string together coherent thoughts at night, so I'm doing a lunchtime post today.

Julie, what great news about TCS and his progress. Nice to know that something is working for him, and how wonderful that you and your husband are there for him. Too many of today's struggling students don't have the support system to get them past their problems, and the overwhelmed teachers can't fill all those needs.

'bug, heartwarming comments from you about S & W and how they are dealing with life.

Marian, so glad to hear that the visit from Tim & Nellie was a good one! I hope their tale continues to be a happy one.

Not too much news here. I'm in a Jacques Brel mood lately - "Stop the World, I Want to Get Off". No, no - not in a permanent sense - I just want things to slow down and stay put for say, a month or so, just until I can get caught up on neglected organizing projects, Julie Jobs, and rethinking what I want to do for the rest of my life.

I'm not asking for too much, eh?

Lunchtime is over and no one stopped the clock, so it's time to carry on.

V.

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

My internet finally crapped out on me totally, but I'm back on line as of yesterday. I can now upload pictures again. Since I'm at the awffice I don't have much time for comments but will leave you with a couple of decorating pictures. There are lights on the topiary but of course they failed to work. I won't forget the pillar displays for Kathy now that I can once again upload.

{{gwi:186265}}

{{gwi:186267}}

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Your doorway looks wonderful Michelle! Are you able to keep your birdbath outside all winter? I cannot...and it is heavy to move too.

I seem to be ok in terms of flu Woody. I think it was a problem of acid reflux. I have had the seasonal flu shot but not the H1N1. I'm told many have a bad reaction to it, but that the real thing makes those reactions seem like nothing at all. So I'm reconsidering...

Mary, I'm wondering about using hardware cloth for your chickens' safety. I use it for everything and always have a big roll of it. You can even sink it into the ground in case critters decide to dig their way into the chicken hotel.

As promised, some photos:
    The morning wake-up moon today.
    {{gwi:186268}}

The most recent hand puppets, a duck and a mouse.
    {{gwi:186269}}

I still have 2-3 more "awards" to buy for the Christmas event, but have caught up quite well on that today. I also bought more wool for a baby blanket, an easy project, colorful and relaxing.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Forgot to mention Marian, that I have heard of cream cheese mixed with salmon. I've used it for dips with crackers etc...

DH likes salmon with a salad for a meal. Puts lemon on it. Skyler loves salmon. One of the only foods besides Kraft Dinner he is enthusiastic about.

Skyler is confused because the hat he chose (the one Ivy wore above) made him the object of teasing. One of his teachers said, "hey, you like that hat don't you?" "yeeees" he replied. "Then wear it. Who cares if X likes it or not?" This is a hard one for him. He paid for it himself and likes it, but wants to please his peers. We'll see how it unfolds. Could be a really helpful lesson now that someone besides DD supports this point of view.

And DSIL has his nose out of joint (slightly) because Ivy is saying "Mamamama" a great deal but only "Da" once. I'm sure she'll have a cell phone before she's two!

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Michelle - your Christmas decorations are fabulous! We've been struggling here too with computer and internet woes.

GB - I've used a lot of hardware cloth to keep the chicken's henhouse predator proof and their electric poultry fence keeps out any four legged critters. The problem with the area they free range in during the day is it is simply too large to cover with anything with rigid supports. I might have to enclose a smaller area as Candy suggests with something like furring strips. However, I love the chickens having freedom to roam and different areas to scratch around in amongst the trees and shrubs. @#$$%^ Hawks.

We were commenting on how beautiful the moon was last night. I love your picture of it this morning.

Candy - yes I do feel lucky to have such supportive colleagues. The funny thing is my birthday usually goes unmarked at work with lots of cards here. This year it was the complete reverse. I think I need to become less of an Idyll slacker if I want to celebrate the big 50 next year.

Mary

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Hola Idylls..

I got up this morning thinking it was Tuesday, and it was pleasant to discover upon my arrival at the awfice that it was in fact Wednesday . I psychologically shortened the work week by one day. What could be better.? I am buried though with pre-season orders for our garden center. We really missed the boast last spring , all the RIFs and resultant upheaval sent us a bit off course. We are also starting to have winter here- it was cold all day today ( my usual wimpy zone 9 disclaimer inserted here) and we expect heavy fog the next couple of days-actually dense fog is the term. The fog days are cold ,damp and grey , and the warm house with the lamps lit is especially enjoyed on these evenings. And more rain next week-we need it badly.

Mary I will add my request to Maries, I will be awaiting the anti-flop results. Its fun to learn about the chicken logistics with youIm thinking of lodge poles securing wire fencing around and above with gate of some sort. Im sure in your region this would be a spring project.

Candy, the one dig out project that has failed miserably is the da*m Joe Pye ..a plant that I love the look of but is unsuitable for my small garden space. I wait till it goes dormant and dig out chunks as best I can to reduce the size of the thing. This will be the 3rd winter that I have tried to get rid of it ! I think it was Eden that gave me some great advice a couple of years ago relative to JP eradication. I have successfully made it smaller , but not gone.

Oooo Michelle, I love that front door urn display ! Is this a growing plant or did you cut stuff and build it ?

Marian, I had a friend who used to serve little shrimps on crackers with cream cheese and dill , it was mighty tasty ! I think dill is a really nice seasoning for fish.

Time to sign offhere is another couple of pics I took on my drive Thanksgiving morning.

An old clunker in Oakville {{gwi:186270}}From Napa Fall 2009

Vineyards {{gwi:186271}}From Napa Fall 2009

Kathy in Napa

• candy_j
    14 years ago

Oh!Mary, did you just have a birthday? Im sorry I didnt make the connection with those gifts you received. I associated it with a little celebration gift exchange related to teaching at your school. Heres hoping you still had a very happy birthday in the midst of that cluster youve been caught up in including foot surgery for DH (was he a difficult patient to tend to? ) and computer hassles!

I was looking for garden pix featuring your signature lime green but this was as close as I could come up with on short notice!
    {{gwi:186272}}

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Oh No ! Candy is spot on , we missed Marys Birthday..Bad Idylls..

To our favorite Mistress of the Poultry ...

{{gwi:186273}}From Roses 2009
    Happy Birthday Mary !!!

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Of course that baby duck puppet could also be a baby chick for Mary's birthday, couldn't it? ;)

Happy pre-50 sister! (Oh to be young again! Right Marian?)

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Well fudge and super fudge and grumble, grumble grumpity-growl!!! How did we miss Mary's birthday?!?

I thought about reposting the Trump Tower photo and telling you there was a sign in the window on the 49th floor, but you're too smart to fall for that!

And as one who has had her own birthday consistently overlooked at the awfice (where birthdays have been a big deal) I understand what it feels like to be slighted. So sorry!!!

Happy Birthday, Mary!

{{gwi:186274}}

V.

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Didn't we do this last year, too? Fudge! Who's in charge around here?

Happy Belated Birthday, Mary!

{{gwi:186277}}

(I posted here this morning but I must've forgotten to hit the submit button again!)

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

It is time for me to go to bed, but I must post a belated Happy Birthday to Mary! I am so sorry we missed your BD date! I hope you have a clear view of the moon tonight.

{{gwi:186278}}

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Mary, Im not sure who holds the Idyll birthday list. I dont and Im not sure if I did that Id be good at remembering. What fun, Im only a few months older than you are and I believe Sue is a month older than I am. Its so much fun hearing your chicken stories. Ive thought of getting them many times but have always decided they would be too much work. Im enjoying them vicariously through you.

If anyone has the birthday list, email it to me, Ill sure try. We would hate to have such a fun tradition die.

Thanks for the decorating comments. The greenery in the urn is supposed to be a spiral topiary. I saw one that was extremely expensive and tried to recreate it. The main greenery spiraling up is fake, but Ive added real greens around the bottom. Its supposed to be lit, but the string of lights isnt working.

I like Skylars choice of hats. Kids can be cruel and its hard to buck the crowd. bug, the newest puppet creations are so cute. I do leave that birdbath out in the winter. It is just too heavy. Ive probably had it 10 years and it has survived. Its fairly scooped which may explain it. (I hope I didnt jinx myself)

Kathy, your fall color is amazing and at the end of November no less.

Julie, I echo the sentiments of others on TCS and the progress that is being made for him.

Some Queen Lime Red Zinnias for Mary's birthday.

{{gwi:186279}}

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Happiest of Birthdays Mary! We're all a bunch of silly chickens for forgetting. But all of us chickens love ya:)

{{gwi:186281}}

I read about your celebration at work and I don't know why it didn't click. I thought they were welcoming you back from being ill. Duh!

Who's in charge of birthdays, well...Cynthia used to have the list and then I think T took over for awhile and then Deanne, but she lost it in a computer crash I remember. I tried to keep track for awhile after that, but I lost the list when my laptop died last spring. We have been getting kind of hit and miss lately. Maybe we need to compile a new list and all send Michelle our birthday dates? Thanks for offering Michelle! It is too nice a tradition to let it die I think.

Eden

• ctlavluvr
    14 years ago

Quick good morning but wanted to absolutely assure Candy that I just thought it was really cool to see pics that originated with someone I know end up on Idylls!! And, that it is a small world the web makes. No breaches here!! Only if topics sway to religion or politics, a long-held agreement amongst all Idyllers, does anyone's nose get bent :-) We're all gardeners and that's the common bond ....

Happy Birthday Mary!!

Business functions for the end of year and various Holidays are in full swing. Today I have three and I must say that I feel like it being zero. What to wear that will be suitable for a casual lunch, agency late afternoon party, then formal party at the new CT Science Center? Hmmmmmm, best pack lots of bling to add along as I go.

Also -- An admonition to all Idyllers to watch how they feel and act on what may seem like "nothing other than feeling crappy." Yesterday went for my annual physical and discovered that I was running a low grade fever and had a "raging" ear infection that had probably been there for weeks. Boy, did I feel like an urchin!! Does explain the low energy and daily dose of ibuprofen for headaches!! UGH! Antibiotics are on board and I'm curious to see how I feel when "healed."

Have a great day, everyone~

Martie

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Martie, there's a little bug going around leaving it's recipients with an ear infection. Take care of yourself!

Michelle, maybe I could be a back up bithday calendar keeper? Let me know what you think.

It's rainy here but I have the office all to myself today and I'm planning on getting the filing done, once and for all! I am also going to do a bit of reorganizing. I'm planning to turn on the radio and enjoy the day.

I hope you enjoy your day today, too!

Saucy

• deanneart
    14 years ago

All the best Mary, so sorry this is late!

{{gwi:186283}}

• drema_dianne
    14 years ago

Happy Birthday Mary!!!
    Hope it was a great one.

This is my little chicken. She lives in my potager, and Charlie always moves her to the corn. She always makes me smile.

{{gwi:186284}}

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Criminy... another slacker/bad idyller here --

Happy Birthday, Mary, belatedly:

{{gwi:186285}}

--cindy

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Since Im vaguely recalling how to post photos, another Belated Birthday to Saucy and Marian -- hope they were great. [since critters are the photo op du jour]

{{gwi:176423}}

-Cindy

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

I forgot how to post immediately after one's other post and so had to re-resubmit... gosh I need to do this more regularly, obviously! (like exercising but so much more pleasurable)....

Glad to hear so many folks making progress whether it's meds and learning or reorganizing or anything that let's us put a few steps forward right?

We're having a glorious day of sunshine after the torrents of yesterday (& I should be out walking at lunch and not idylling) -- they're mentioning that four letter word for Saturday here tho -- just to keep us in line.

Candy - your mention of wrestling that Sambucus Black Lace caught my eye - had the same issue - such humongous root system and this past summer it did not take well to the new spot - likely because I had to chop the heck out of it to get it moved in the first place - Im hoping next spring will show some recovery for it - it was gorgeous but overwhelming in the first location.... more bad planning on my part.

Your holiday decorations are a wonder as always, Michelle -- I could not tell that topiary was partially artificial - wow - great to mix -- and that arch is a wonderful idea -- I have to get in the mode to do something this year (so I say again, LOL).

I listen to the heart-tugging struggles of the children here and am so thankful I dont have any to worry about right now -- from bullying and teasing to struggling w/ learning issues -- it's a tough world isnt it? But I guess early struggles are to help us when we grow up....

Cyn, was it you who asked about my "Toaster Woman" ? I dont know if I actually told the story here -- but I have a habit of nicknaming people and a very bizarre co-worker whom I had the misfortune to have to bear to sit next to for over a year, I labeled her that because she had a plugged in toaster that sat at her feet under her desk and she would toast bread daily -- but not just for breakfast -- all day long (sometimes 5 or 6 pieces)..... Since our large ofc is located in middle of inner DC w/ its usual city problems re pests (roaches, rats, etc.), and there are indeed fire codes and hazards (like no space heaters in one's area, etc), the toaster was indeed very forbidden.... but she refused to take it home. [It got unplugged once for about a week when the ofc mgr told her it was illegal but came out again soon thereafter). She kept her loaf of bread in the file cabinet along w/ butter, mayo and jam in jars -- she ate Continually all day long.... enuf to drive a person like me (who lives to eat but knows one needs to count calories) nutz... so it was easier to refer to her as TW when I to think of her. Not sadly, the toaster finally disappeared [read, someone swiped it) while she was on vacation for 2 weeks in August... I have many more bizarre tales about her, but the working by toaster is humorous.

Well, gotta do some xmas shopping in the few minutes left to lunch.

--cindy

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

{{gwi:186286}}

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Thursday evening greetings to all ! Glad tomorrow is Friday, and the punch list for Christmas prep continues. I want to get all the heavy duty house cleaning done well ahead of time .I have so much accumulated PTO that I could probably take from now till Christmas off and still carry a few days over.

Thanks Michelle for offering to be the keeper of the B-days !

So where is Chelone ? Come out and play !

And Norma,and Anita ...

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

and Brenda and Ann....

• drema_dianne
    14 years ago

Bug, looks like Ivy may be a gymnast! It is so heartwarming to see how much fun Skylar is having with his little sister. Devin is really good with Nina too, and he is 12, and is also excited about the new baby coming in June. Nice boys.

Marian, how nice for you that you enjoyed your visit with Tim's new friend. She does sound like a keeper.

Cindy, I have worked with some strange people, but I think TW might possibly make the top 10 list. Did she ever offer to share a piece of toast with you? Everytime I think of it I laugh out loud. Thanks! Wonder what it was about the toast in particular? Did she use different types of bread for different days of the week? I have many questtions, probably never to be answered. I

I want to comment more, but my eyes are getting blurry, can't see the screen without squinting, and I really don't want to get any more wrinkles, lol. so it must be time for bed.

D.

• candy_j
    14 years ago

Michelle, Im sure youll do fine as keeper of the birthdays! I believe Julie mentioned she and I share July 3rd so weve done our part in being helpful, lol. And I meant to tell you last night I thought the whole topiary was real. Looks fantastic even if the lights arent working! Is the arbor yours, too? Just wondering because it appears theres neighborhood houses in the background and I thought you lived on a farm.

And Martie, thanks for taking the time to reassure me about the pet pix. I did understand you thought it was pretty cool but I was more concerned about the the owner. Must be OK though if you know them! How did you do with your bling at the progressive functions? Wowmust have been quite a day! Science Center sounds like a very interesting evening.

Cindynope, not Cyn, it was me asking about Toaster Woman. That name is too funny in print; I cant bring myself to use the abbreviation TW just yet! I can understand how annoying the situation was but your descriptions had me cracking up. I kept thinking about all the crumbs!!a toaster at her feet!and mayo in the filing cabinet..LOL! Is she still there after the awfice upheaval? I await another chapter in the saga of Toaster Woman.

Marian, I loved that photo of the moon! It looks huge, and starkly beautiful behind those bare branches

Health tip of the day: Dress for the weather

{{gwi:186287}}

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Thank you for all the lovely cards everyone!! Idyll birthday cards are the best whenever they arrive and they all put a smile on my face. I know what a cringe making thing it is to miss and Idyll birthday (I've missed a few myself) and think Michelle and Saucy being the keepers of the birthdays is an excellent idea. In fact I'll pony up mine first - it was actually on Sunday.

Woody - I think I have the very same mini penguin and just put one in a miniature Christmas hutch I'm making for a friend.

In the words of our old (or not so old friend as we are the same year) TGIF.

Have a great day

Mary

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Whew - I was afraid the idylls couldnt stand 3 "posts" in a row from me and I'd virused this thread, LOL...

O my - talk about cracking up -- that "Dress for the Weather" has me rolling and of course how appropriate for my area's first possible "flakes."

Drema - without going on and on, I can honestly say that Toaster Woman has to rank in my Top 5 of freakly annoying co-workers - she might be one of the Top 2. I know that's cruel and I suspect I have some personal habits that may be annoying (altho I have requested the atty who sits across from me to please let me know if and when I do anything bizarre and annoying). Glad I could offer some humor - she was good for the telling -- Im blessed however that she is one of the folks who took the buyout. The crumbs may still be in that area however - she actually did not use a plate to eat off of but rather the desk surface -- butter and all - if you can only imagine that. It really got that it was so gross I could not look when I walked by. She was also (I guess) a congenital? liar -- she would tell someone she was a vegetarian but this would be 2 hours after she ate a fully loaded hot dog from the corner vendor -- maybe it wasnt certified as beef (mystery meat) and didnt qualify... I never could figure out how she said that with a straight face.

And there was the "little lie" about her age -- she started telling folks this past year she was 46; I was astounded because she'd talked about retiring about 5 years ago and frankly she looked older than me and I felt insulted - so I googled/white paged her and found out that she was in fact 63 !! - go figure - there was no way she looked 46 -- she seemed to think she could say or do anything outrageous and get away with it -- very very strange person - but the eating habits were the worse because she ate all day long and kept all the food and every meal on her desk from 9 to 5:30 -- even glasses and bottles would sit there for days at a time - one time I counted 5 glasses, 3 bottles, 2 cans. As I said, however, this was a positive outcome to the awfice layoffs -- she went with 'em.... just left her crumbs behind -- and I asked for a hazmat team to clean the area, LOL.

Kathy -- enjoy the day - I've got mucho leave too but finding it hard to just take it off; dancing carefully w/ the new assignments and their work and dont wanna p.o. them. I would like to take a day off to go get an Xmas tree earlier than later this year tho.

Happy Friday -- I can personally atttest that a recommendation from the "dark side" of a Starbucks caramel brulee latte is magnificently smoothe and just what one needs to celebrate a Friday!

-Cindy

• denisez10
    14 years ago

I read out loud Cindy's description of TW, and the response was, "Does she file the bread under B?" etc, etc. Cindy, your pain, our humorous gain. Sorry that's how it always works, but so nice to hear from you. I did pot up my refrigerated tulips a couple days after Thanksgiving, so it's wait-and-see now if I get any flowers.

Happy birthday, Mary! From the Balinese fruit bat:

{{gwi:186289}}

I'm spending a lot of time with my mom this week but will need to get back to work next week. The holiday puppets and Michelle's decorations are delightful. Julie, your advocacy on TCS's behalf is so interesting to read about, and it sounds like you're making great progress. I'd never heard of dysgraphia before, and now that it's on the "radar" I've seen it come up elsewhere too. Enjoying the posts from Martie again and Cyn and Candy. Nice to see Marian pop in more too. Keeping you and DH in my thoughts, Woody.

Drema, nothing keeps a household young like a new pup. What a great idea. Ein doesn't have Maggie's temperament for newcomers, unfortunately, or we'd have a couple more corgies underfoot. Waving to all.

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

I've set up a calendar in hotmail that will email me about the birthdays, but Saucy the help would be great in case I get swamped and fall down on the job. With the plans for growth here at the company, its looking like things won't slow down for some time to come.

We now have a light dusting of snow and its gotten cold!

Candy, I do live on a farm and the "houses" you see are my garden shed and my DH's machine shed.

Cindy, Toast Woman sounds pretty entertaining. I've not had one that odd but our newest does come up with something unusual each day. I've nicknamed her DQ. I'm wondering what her nickname for me is. LOL

Later
    Michelle

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Love the stories of Toaster Woman! Can't say I've ever encountered anyone who kept a toaster under their desk. I did work for a while with a woman who was a congenital liar which was interesting. She swore she owned a motorcycle and finally one day drove one to work. Except I had to start it for her at the end of the day - and I've never, ever driven a motorcycle. Sure honey, that's your bike!

Today's chuckle was from the coworker that I will call "Clueless Wonder" or CW. CW was working on an Excel spreadsheet and couldn't figure out how to build the formulas, so she called a friend. She described two of the symbols in her formulas as "you know, the happy and sad signs". Yes, we old folks call those parentheses! :)

I think I did a little whining, um, venting, here back in the spring about the employee who bailed out for a new job just before the rush. She called first thing this morning to say that her position had been eliminated. I do feel very sorry for her and I've already sent her a lead on another job.

Denise, I love the Balinese fruit bat! Awesome photo.

Michelle & Saucy, August 25 for the record.

Also for the record, it's really cold here. I started a nice fire as soon as I got home.

V.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Drema, love that chicken and Candy, that pug is absolutely the funniest!

Cindy, your TW stories are funny, too! Glad you told them even though I wasn't the one who asked about her. Whether it is school, work, the awfice, home, family, whatever, it is being able to laugh (at least after the fact if not during) at our goofy world that keeps us sane-well, maybe not quite that, but close-:)

V, "the happy and sad signs"? Wow...am I feeling old...and much better educated than CW! teehee.

So glad it is Friday. It was a long week-we have a new little guy who was just placed in foster care with the grandparents of a student who was in our class last year. Very angry and sad little guy, but there are flashes of sweetness and he seems to be quite the artist, so I am sure we will be okay. It has thrown the whole class out of whack, however and we just can't ever be sure how long he will stay. What he needs is some stability and a safe place and that always seems to be what no one will provide. His foster parents are great, so I will remain hopeful.

Happy belated birthday, Mary!

We are supposed to get some snow tomorrow. Can't wait! Unfortunately, can't get a snow day off school for this one-oh well. I will try to get pictures of the wacko pups in the snow and post them.

Gosh, I LOVE weekends.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

I believe I may begin phase one of Christmas décor this weekend. And phase 2 of housecleaning.
    I received my registration confirmation and reciept in the mail today for the photography class I enrolled in ..not to take place till March unfortunately , but it fit in with my overall life schedule so March it is..at least Ill have an emerging spring garden to practice on, This is only a 3 night series of classes , given by the community education arm of our local JC..

Nice to see Denise check in, and what great photo! Who doesnt need a Balinese fruit bat ? Essential garden art ..love those grape cluster looking thingys too.

Also loved Dremas chicken , Woodys penguin, and Cindys peacock..always love what emerges on Idyll birthdays! Speaking of which, its April 7th here Michelle . And thanks for offering to take on the role of birthday diva ..Hope we dont forget yours. Lol !

Ive done my share of awfice nicknaming I must confess. There was The Hypo Man (short for hypochondriac) the The Three Sickateers (3 employees on whom we placed a dime bet every Monday, picking which one would call in sick), Squeaky (voice related) and Whiney Wille , among others. One does need some sort of entertainment value at work !

That all folkssee yall tomorrow !

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    14 years ago

I think of you while I'm out with the Hugest of Dogs, you know. Thoughts (in no particular order):

1.) Michelle's doorside topiary is brilliance itself and I may just "rip you off", girlfriend! Fantastic.
    2.) Begin the beatings immediately, Drema.
    3.) TCS is experiencing academic triumph and drugs can be useful (not just recreational, lol). I foresee a bright future now that he has a foot in the door. :)
    4.) UTIs are the bane of the eldery in facilities. I am so, so sorry that this has visited your home, too, Woody. I know you and Randy will figure it out, but I also understand how very disturbing and unsettling it can be. (((Woody))).
    5.) I see Martie has been more "regular", too. Pineapple on the mailbox this year? I want a kitten. two?
    6.) Looking forward to Christmas decorations/Fabulous Mantel Displays/bird action shots/etc..
    7.) Marian's "Reed Moon" shot is beautiful; I watched that same moon rise over the ocean ; it hung low and large in the sky about 3-3:30 and because the sky was so light it would have been easy to miss. I thought of Reed and all of you, as I do whenever I see a full moon. :)
    8.) I wonder about Feebles and Zoe and how they're doing. Rex is really enjoying being out on leash. He's much more cooperative with other dogs and people. Beatings, I say!

The deck canopy is down and stored. I'm plugging along at work and am really pulling into the collar here on the Compound. Many things to get done in the coming weeks to get the new year off to a good start.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Good morning to Chelone and Idylls across the land..upon perusal of my I Google weather gadget this morning I note that rain and or snow is in the forecast for some of the NE folk, while our beltway friends have the white stuff, the Midwest tends toward sunny , and very cold ( zone 9 definition of cold: 55 and under, very cold :40 and under ) and the sun shines today here on the west coast I doubt we will break 60 but Denise will lead the pack in comfortable temps.

I will need to head outdoors this weekend as a good sized storm is on the way and the ground will be saturated and muddy next weekend. Not good for pulling weeds-and the winter weeds are popping up at an alarming rate.

So, to chore-land I go see yall later enjoy your Saturday !

Kathy in Napa

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Yep, indeed we have white stuff here in the mid-Atlantic region - there's at least 2 inches now of fat, heavy stuff covering my entire area -- so Im hunkered down for the day; I guess I may contemplate some clean-up chores altho still in slug mode.

Love that fruit bat, Denise! Enjoy the time w/ your Mom - it may be she will recall only a little of the whole time in another year past, but you will take comfort from the quality time.

I hope Randy's parent woes will settle down soon, Woody.

O, gee, V - you got me w/ that happy/sad face person -- I guess it's too much to hope that she was having a "senior moment" early???

Glad to hear others nickname folks -- Michelle - I love the DQ idea (altho the ice cream is yummy) workplace Drama Queens are definitely not. I have also been known to call them Camille... Think Im most fond of your 3 Sickateers, Kathy, LOL....

Hope everyone has a mellow weekend -- back to contemplating the white scenery from my slug sofa (in tropicland - the family room).

-Cindy

• ctlavluvr
    14 years ago

WAAAHOOOOOOOOO!!!! It's Saturday at it's best. Jewelry is back in boxes after parties (just two -- third was reportedly a drunk fest according to a phone call from a Sr. Director who said 'stay away if at all possible -- can I come to where you are?') Took the hint and headed home.

No pineapple on the mailbox, but one firmly affixed to the patio pole, much to the glee of neighborhood kids who thought I'd gone wacko and forgotten. We're making plans for Winter Solstice as candles to celebrate the shortest day of the year has a novelty factor. Oldest girl who shared the evening with me last year has rallied the troops. Need to read up and make it as authentic as possible. Anyone with Wican experience that can help?

Just today took down Thanksgiving stuff and am trying hard not to push the December 25 decorations. The village is enough for now, and my three-year old neighbor is just the right height to report on exactly what the elves are doing in those little houses. This is the same kid who absolutely believes that fairies live in Digitalis until the flowers fade, then go to be safe in Baptisia pods. His mom is in full support and it's a delight to see his imagination at work. We're careful that it isn't truly lying.

Nicknames at work have got me cracking up, as I think every office has every one of the personalities. No toasters, but a small refridgerator under one desk. Whiners aplenty. The ones that really "get" me are what I call the Big Kid Wannabes, who are young and know everything until they get asked to do something they've never done and freeze up. Then tell anyone who will listen why this new thing is just a waste of time. Then miss a deal. Sr. Rep and I get some good laughs and he finally told one of them "if you want to play with the big kids, start acting like one." There are advantages to being on the road most of the time.

Today grateful for a warm home -- in every sense of the word -- in which to write testimony for the State Appropriations Committee on Friday. Yes, Governor has suggested that another hunk of money come out of services for the mentally ill, particularly adolescent care, to help balance the budget. Also grateful for the skill to get a point across. I'm hopeful I can be of help. Though I'm not directly affected, nor is my family, I'm honored that they called me and asked that I do the "keynote" testimony.

June 10 Bday here.

Good to see you back, Denise!

Hello, Everyone!

Waiting for the snow.....

Martie

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Glad to see Chelone resurface.

Now I'm wondering where my Saturday went?

V.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Yippee-we are getting our first snow! Of course, very different for us than for those of you up in the frozen north-it has been snowing for almost five hours with no accumulation on the roads and grass still poking through, but the bare trees look lovely and the flakes are beautiful as they fall. Since it is not a school day (and therefore no chance of a snow day doggoneit), I am glad the roads are just wet. Clouseau loves the snow and we have already been out in it. Then, we cleaned out my side of the garage, so I can get the car in-almost. We are making headway and I will get the car tucked in Tuesday after the Vets pick up the boxes full of stuff we have for them. With luck, we'll get DH's side clear by spring. DS has a bunch of old car parts from his teen years that stay here b/c he has no room. He sold some on ebay and Craig's list, but we keep finding more. DH is finally parting with some of his stuff-not the old political journals, of course! They are just too valuable to trash/recycle. The fact that we could not even give them away on Freecycle means nothing. Some grad student is SURE to want them...and so on and so forth. He is a little slow to accept that most students today actually use *gasp* computers to find information. Imagine that! Gotta love a man who makes you laugh!

I love all those nicknames, too. Wish I were as clever. I'll see what I can come up with for our teachers-there should be a good name for our administrators at school. I am not sure anything can top Toaster Woman, although one of our admins could be called Twitchy Woman-just a tad high-strung.

Martie, what fun you must be having with your little neighbor. We have new neighbors with a three-year old daughter and I was thinking of going over one evening to create a little fairy garden for her with a door and furniture at the base of one of their trees. Kids are magical, aren't they?

Later, all.

• chelone
    14 years ago

Cyn has reminded me of a few other thoughts. (because while I'd never see a kid go hungry I am very deeply resentful that I must pick up the tab for "parents" who clearly cannot take care of themselves). And I know you "get" the sentiment completely and live the awful reality daily.

I think our light speed communication has robbed us of the importance of T I M E. We now seem compelled to do everything faster and more efficiently. To our detriment too often, methinks. For example, the necessity of time when it comes to grief. Doubtless 'bug will agree, and so will Brenda, and pretty much everyone else. I think grief and its observance is vastly underrated these days.

And let's not forget the hidden benefits of good ol' SHAME. I remember the awfulness of seeing Mum's "laser eyes" and hearing, "I'm ashamed of you! you know better than to behave that way. I'm embarrassed for you. Shame on you!". Let me tell you, nothing made the point that I'd transgressed more quickly. I am sick and tired of being denied the right to bestow shame and disapproval when conduct in the young warrants it. It's high time we, as a society, rediscover "shame".

Snow just beginning here, mixing with rain. I took the deck canopy down this morning (just in case and a trifle late!) and the stoves are cooking along pleasantly in both the house and the Salon. Cozy in either place.

V., I'm hard at work trying to get my "escape route" adequately mapped out, how about you?

Need to go back and soak up the nickname thing... know it will crack me up and this household will have a few choice ones to add, too.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

I absolutely agree, chelone, both on the parents who don't take care of their kids, time, grief, and shame! As far as the parents go, I find I am pretty impatient at times and always when the children are the ones paying the price for their parents' selfishness, self-centeredness, immaturity, whatever. I have a quotation on the fridge-no idea where it came from-"It is better to build children than repair adults." I try to tell myself that it is what it is, but how do you tell that to a child? Our little fellow who came to us when his family had to move to the homeless shelter was pulled out, came back three weeks later and is suddenly out again. No chance to say goodbye or tell him we would miss him. I really could throttle that parent. I had him in my office/classroom one day when he was acting out pretty severely and as he sat there, the tears just started running down his face-no sobbing, just silent tears. All I could do was put my arms around him and tell him that if I could, I would make it all better, but I couldn't and we both knew it. I am afraid that will happen with our new little foster child. Life just keeps beating these little guys and girls down until there is no sweetness or trust left.

Can't wait to hear the nicknames you come up with-you are really so clever (mongrel horde and all...).

Hope everyone is warm and cozy this evening. I think I may have a little fortified eggnog or a glass or two of red...or maybe both and settle in to watch "My Fair Lady" which started 30 minutes ago!

cyn

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES